PDA

View Full Version : Mario named AFC Defensive Player of the Week

Errant Hothy
12-19-2007, 03:48 PM
http://houstontexans.com/news/Story.asp?story_id=4060

Texans defensive end Mario Williams was named as the AFC Defensive Player of the Week for Week 15, capturing the award for the second time this season, the NFL announced today. He becomes the only AFC defender to garner multiple honors this season.

:d: :texflag: :d:

Specnatz
12-19-2007, 03:50 PM
Yet he is not going to the probowl, way to go NFL you not only suck at this but you really suck at it.

Congratz to mario it is well deserved.

dskillz
12-19-2007, 03:52 PM
Congrats Mario! Pro Bowl will come next year if he continues the great play. hopefully the snub will only give him more of a chip on his shoulder.

Dread-Head
12-19-2007, 03:55 PM
Mario's pissed about NOT going to Hawaii, but god help the next poor SOB to run at him with a football. Who's that guy from here in the Houston area who plays for the Colts? He clowned the Texans D last time they squared off. I hope Mario & Demeco take out Mario's snub on him whenever he has the ball. Mario & Luigi...on the ATTACK BABY!

Texans Horror
12-19-2007, 03:59 PM
Mario plays up when he's pissed. Hopefully this means he will play well this weekend. The Texans will need Mario to give a repeat performance of last week if they hope to beat the Colts.

Im-The-One80
12-19-2007, 04:02 PM
Yeah I think it sucks that he didnt get to the probowl he was kinda robbed, but hey Vanden Bosch did he went to my High School

76Texan
12-19-2007, 04:11 PM
Mario's pissed about NOT going to Hawaii, but god help the next poor SOB to run at him with a football. Who's that guy from here in the Houston area who plays for the Colts? He clowned the Texans D last time they squared off. I hope Mario & Demeco take out Mario's snub on him whenever he has the ball. Mario & Luigi...on the ATTACK BABY!
Let's hope Mario can get Addai in the backfield at least once. Manning, too.
And on to Garrard (if he plays) and maybe Taylor and MJD.
Then we can hope for the All-Pro team.:fans:

Silver Oak
12-19-2007, 05:05 PM
Yeah I think it sucks that he didnt get to the probowl he was kinda robbed, but hey Vanden Bosch did he went to my High School

Vanden Bosch is a good player, and one that I actually like on that Tennessee team, but he doesn't command the double teams that Mario gets, and his stats are not as good as Mario's.

adam
12-19-2007, 05:07 PM
Woot! Good job, Mario.

Mario Williams is perhaps the most under-rated defensive player in the league.

powerfuldragon
12-19-2007, 05:08 PM
i may be wrong, but i think i might've read something about mario going to hawaii as an alternate ...

markn
12-19-2007, 05:22 PM
It may look like a huge snub, but most of the voting was over before his most dominant performance of the season, and most of the fan voting was complete prior to his late season surge. Go back 3 or 4 weeks and how many were genuinely thinking Mario would go to the pro-bowl?

Pro-bowl candidature is really a measure of the first two thirds of the season which is clearly a flawed measurement, but hopefully he can use this as motivation to play well throughout the entire season next time around.

JDizzle
12-19-2007, 05:34 PM
i may be wrong, but i think i might've read something about mario going to hawaii as an alternate ...

I think he's the 2nd or 3rd alternate which means he's probably not gonna go unless the guys in front of him start dropping like flies.

Ole Miss Texan
12-19-2007, 05:36 PM
This is really exciting. Mario is really going to be pinning his ears back going for Peyton all day on Sunday.

Bulluck53
12-19-2007, 05:53 PM
Vanden Bosch doesn't command the double teams that Mario gets

????

SA Texan
12-19-2007, 05:58 PM
Great to hear about Mario...it was well deserved.

Errant Hothy
12-19-2007, 06:02 PM
????

What do you mean ???? Van den Bosch's numbers are a product of the fact that Haynesworth is a monster. Van den had something like 10 tackles and 1 sack during Albert's 3 games off. And yes the presence of Albert reduces the double teams that Van den Bosch sees.

spent
12-19-2007, 06:04 PM
congrats and continued success to this kid!!

TexansFanatic
12-19-2007, 06:32 PM
Anyone remember when the NBA crowned David Robinson MVP and then Olajuwon schooled his @ss in the playoffs? Let's hope Mario takes his frustrations out on Peyton.

awtysst
12-19-2007, 06:34 PM
I think he's the 2nd or 3rd alternate which means he's probably not gonna go unless the guys in front of him start dropping like flies.

Can you verify this? I had heard he was the first alternate?

texanfan2002114
12-19-2007, 06:38 PM

Not the brightest high school??

Sorry but that makes me laugh!! Might be the few drinks I had at the company party but it still didn't make any sense after a few big boy drinks!!

TexansFanatic
12-19-2007, 06:40 PM

OUCH!!! :)

texanfan2002114
12-19-2007, 06:41 PM

According to McClain's article today, Mario is the 2nd alternate.

awtysst
12-19-2007, 06:42 PM

Sorry but that makes me laugh!! Might be the few drinks I had at the company party but it still didn't make any sense after a few big boy drinks!!

Doesn't make too much sense even without the Big Boy drinks!

SA Texan
12-19-2007, 06:42 PM

According to this article, he is the 2nd alternate.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/5389170.html

texanfan2002114
12-19-2007, 06:43 PM
Doesn't make too much sense even without the Big Boy drinks!

I agree!!! :fans: :drunk:

BigBull17
12-19-2007, 07:19 PM
Who is the first Alt?

HJam72
12-19-2007, 07:28 PM
Mario & Luigi...on the ATTACK BABY!

We need to get Luigi to play DE on the weak side. :splits: :fans:

Specnatz
12-19-2007, 07:36 PM
Vanden Bosch is a good player, and one that I actually like on that Tennessee team, but he doesn't command the double teams that Mario gets, and his stats are not as good as Mario's.

????

It is very simple look at Vanden Bosch's play when fat albert was out of the lineup and when he was in the lineup, he disappear more than vy with Mario bearing down on him.

Thorn
12-19-2007, 07:44 PM
I wouldn't worry about Mario not going to the pro bowl, he'll have plenty of pro bowls in the future. Besides, he can always console himself by getting a few more sacks in the last two games. That and counting the money in his bank account.

ATX
12-19-2007, 08:09 PM
The AFC and NFC Probowl coaches each get 1 additional pick as a need I believe. Is this true and what are the chances they would pick Mario as a need player?

Bulluck53
12-19-2007, 10:49 PM
It is very simple look at Vanden Bosch's play when fat albert was out of the lineup and when he was in the lineup, he disappear more than vy with Mario bearing down on him.

Why do you think guys like Antwann Odom and Travis Laboy have had such good years for us when they never had done much in the previous three? It's because they double Haynesworth and when you take away that guard/center combo on Haynesworth along with the tackle/back who are blocking KVB then they have one-on-ones all day. What I'm saying is, they're play is because the offense double teams both guys on the right side (Haynesworth and KVB) and leaves the other tackle and end alone. When Haynesworth went out they tripled (tackle/tight end/back, guard/tackle/tight end, etc.) KVB because they knew they didn't have to worry about the other three guys on the line. Is that a testament to KVB's ability or does it show how bad everyone else is on the line? I don't know. But KVB wasn't heard from when Haynesworth was out for that reason.

austintexanite
12-19-2007, 10:57 PM
Who is the first Alt?

Aaron Schobel is first alternate ----stats 48tkls, 5.5 scks, 4 forced fumbles.

The AFC and NFC Probowl coaches each get 1 additional pick as a need I believe. Is this true and what are the chances they would pick Mario as a need player?

It's true, the coaches can choose and extra defensive end, linebacker, defensive back or long snapper. If Mario leads the conference or NFL in sacks, the head coach better call him up. He got scr*wed and should represent the Texans alongside DeMeco.

brakos82
12-19-2007, 11:03 PM
Can we put a bid red "M" on the front of his helmet? :mario2:

b0ng
12-19-2007, 11:04 PM
Aaron Schobel is first alternate ----stats 48tkls, 5.5 scks, 4 forced fumbles.

WOW. Now that is eye-opening.

Overalls
12-20-2007, 12:03 AM
KVB got 1/3 of his sacks (3) in one game in week 14.

:fans:

beerlover
12-20-2007, 12:05 AM
think about this- if Mario tears it up again, the Texans beat the Colts the pressure will be too great to ignore the NFL will have to find a way to put him on a flight to Hawaii :snobord:

b0ng
12-20-2007, 02:21 AM
think about this- if Mario tears it up again, the Texans beat the Colts the pressure will be too great to ignore the NFL will have to find a way to put him on a flight to Hawaii :snobord:

It would not shock me either way if he made it into the Pro Bowl or not. At this point, let it go ahead and be a snub, and just make them vote you in next year.

And now, everybody, look at this guy -> :mario2:

76Texan
12-20-2007, 03:51 PM
Why do you think guys like Antwann Odom and Travis Laboy have had such good years for us when they never had done much in the previous three? It's because they double Haynesworth and when you take away that guard/center combo on Haynesworth along with the tackle/back who are blocking KVB then they have one-on-ones all day. What I'm saying is, they're play is because the offense double teams both guys on the right side (Haynesworth and KVB) and leaves the other tackle and end alone. When Haynesworth went out they tripled (tackle/tight end/back, guard/tackle/tight end, etc.) KVB because they knew they didn't have to worry about the other three guys on the line. Is that a testament to KVB's ability or does it show how bad everyone else is on the line? I don't know. But KVB wasn't heard from when Haynesworth was out for that reason.
Can't you see the flaw in your own argument? :brickwall: :brickwall: :brickwall:

mexican_texan
12-20-2007, 04:51 PM
Schobel deserves the Pro Bowl more than Mario.

TheRealJoker
12-20-2007, 05:03 PM

No.

Specnatz
12-20-2007, 05:13 PM

Please explain how so?

Mario has more tackles, solo tackles, sacks, and fumble recoveries.

Unless there is something I am missing please tell me.

powerfuldragon
12-20-2007, 05:16 PM
No.
agreed. no.

mexican_texan
12-20-2007, 05:20 PM
Schobel has been playing at a dominant level for years. Mario was dominant only three weeks or so before voting ended.

powerfuldragon
12-20-2007, 05:40 PM
Schobel has been playing at a dominant level for years. Mario was dominant only three weeks or so before voting ended.
ya but hes mario.

Specnatz
12-20-2007, 05:43 PM

The probowl is for this year, it is not a lifetime acheivement award.

Second Honeymoon
12-20-2007, 05:50 PM

sadly, its sometimes voted for like a lifetime achievement award. especially for lineman.

its tough to break in but once your there your golden...

...I think Mario deserves to go but its probably better for everyone else involved if he doesn't. It could be something for him to shoot for personally and motivate him into excellence. Ryans will be pimping Mario the whole weekend whether Mario is there or not. I think Mario can afford to pay his own way, win or lose. If Dunta comes back near 100%, I could see us sending 3 defenseman to Hawaii next year. I have a good feeling about Dunta's injury. I think he is gonna be fine. I don't know why, I just can't see him giving up. he has a lot of heart.

disaacks3
12-20-2007, 05:50 PM
That's the problem w/ the voting, it becomes a popularity contest rather than a true evaluation of those at the 'top of their game'.

Specnatz
12-20-2007, 06:25 PM
I agree on how it is done and on the whole name recognitionthing but that is not what it is supposed to be, and to defend someone else going to the probowl by saying he has done more in his career is an extremely lame argument and basically states you have no real argument.

b0ng
12-20-2007, 06:48 PM

Not this year he hasn't.

mexican_texan
12-20-2007, 08:29 PM
Not this year he hasn't.
From the Bills games I saw, he was a force.

Brando
12-20-2007, 08:39 PM
Congrats to Mario.

mexican_texan
12-20-2007, 10:02 PM
I agree on how it is done and on the whole name recognitionthing but that is not what it is supposed to be, and to defend someone else going to the probowl by saying he has done more in his career is an extremely lame argument and basically states you have no real argument.
Mario didn't prove himself to be a Pro Bowler until too late in the season. Schobel's had a solid case to be a Pro Bowler for years.

TheRealJoker
12-20-2007, 10:17 PM
Mario didn't prove himself to be a Pro Bowler until too late in the season. Schobel's had a solid case to be a Pro Bowler for years.

So Mario's AFC Defensive Player of the week award in week 1 didn't give any hint he might have a good season this year?

And Schobel being solid for YEARS means that despite being less productive than Mario THIS YEAR he should go ahead of Mario for THIS YEAR'S pro bowl?

dtran04
12-20-2007, 10:29 PM
Everyone should tell Mario to try the 1st half of the season, since that's all that seems to matter. Who needs stats when they are "too late". Thank God the Pro Bowl means nothing.

Specnatz
12-20-2007, 10:35 PM

For years?

BUT HE SUCKS THIS YEAR compared to MARIO!!

I am glad you said until to late in the season because I thought the probowl was for the 2008 season not 2008 preseason + a few games.

WesmanTexanfan
12-20-2007, 10:51 PM
out of the first 15 weeks, a houston player has been named D player of the week what like 4 times? Marlon, Mario, Demeco, and amobi i think....??? right??

Wolf
12-20-2007, 10:54 PM
pro bowl is nothing more than a popularity contest(any all star contest in all major sports).. I mean when you go through that.. does one google stats or name recognition?

thing is that Texans got very little exposure (true fact) and mario wasn't seen esp. on ESPiN and that the Texans haven't won much

mexican_texan
12-20-2007, 11:27 PM
For years?

BUT HE SUCKS THIS YEAR compared to MARIO!!

I am glad you said until to late in the season because I thought the probowl was for the 2008 season not 2008 preseason + a few games.
Mario didn't deserve to go until Schobel and co. already had a couple votes. After the Carolina game, he dropped off and he was inconsistent until around week 11 or so. Schobel, on the other hand, has been snubbed before and the players and coaches finally decided to let him in. Veterans always get in before young players.

mexican_texan
12-20-2007, 11:38 PM
Aaron Schobel considers the voting for the Pro Bowl this year a compliment, not a source of disappointment.
The fact the Bills’ star defensive end did not get picked to go to Hawaii was no surprise. His sack total is down from 14 in 2006 to 5 1/2 with two games to go.
However, Schobel said he was pleased to learn he was picked as a first alternate to the all-star game, regardless of his sack numbers.
“It’s always been a name game and a stat game,” Schobel said of the Pro Bowl voting, “and I’m honored to be first alternate considering my stats. . . . People still realize I’m a good player, regardless of whether I had five more sacks or two more sacks, or whatever it would have taken [to get voted in].”
Schobel was not on the radar in the fan portion of the Pro Bowl voting, which counts onethird toward the selections. So he got his support from the AFC’s players and coaches, whose votes count twothirds.
The Bills’ coaches say Schobel has been as consistent overall this year as he was last year, minus the sacks.
“I told Aaron that it’s a shame that a defensive end in today’s football is only measured by the number of sacks that he gets because he is playing good, solid football,” defensive coordinator Perry Fewell said. “He’s really playing good in the run game, which he didn’t do as well a year ago. He’s playing better this year in the run game than he did a year ago.”
Schobel ranks fourth on the team with 84 tackles, a pace that would put him slightly ahead of his total last year. He has forced five fumbles, up two from last year. He has six tackles for loss, up three from last year.
While Schobel has made more impact plays as the season has gone on, one can go down the list of games this season and find Schobel asserting his presence.
For instance: In the home game against the Jets, he smelled out a reverse to force a 2-yard loss and strung out several sweeps; he forced a fumble by Tony Romo in the fourth quarter against Dallas; against Baltimore, he chased down Musa Smith from behind for a third-down stop and recognized a throwback pass to the quarterback to force an incompletion in the end zone; he forced a fumble on the road against the Jets; he helped cause a safety in Miami; he had six hits on David Garrard in Jacksonville; he stopped the Jaguars’ Maurice Jones-Drew for a 6-yard loss on a fourth-down play; he had a sack on a third-and-goal play to force a field goal in Washington; he had a sack and a forced fumble at home against Miami.
http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/billsnfl/story/233224.html

Wolf
12-20-2007, 11:42 PM
Mario didn't deserve to go until Schobel and co. already had a couple votes. After the Carolina game, he dropped off and he was inconsistent until around week 11 or so. Schobel, on the other hand, has been snubbed before and the players and coaches finally decided to let him in. Veterans always get in before young players.

shouldn't it be considered on a full season? we can nitpick all day long on stats

Mario has played well for the last 4 weeks statwise

Wolf
12-20-2007, 11:44 PM
http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/billsnfl/story/233224.html

ok so now we are on if it it is a good person or stat person.. I think AJ should be there

bottom line is popularity contest

mexican_texan
12-20-2007, 11:49 PM
ok so now we are on if it it is a good person or stat person.. I think AJ should be there

bottom line is popularity contest
How can you say its a popularity contest when the fans didn't even come close to voting him in? Jason Taylor is the only guy who doesn't really deserve to go. No one on a winless team deserves any accolades; the Fins were still winless when voting ended.

mexican_texan
12-20-2007, 11:49 PM
shouldn't it be considered on a full season? we can nitpick all day long on stats

Mario has played well for the last 4 weeks statwise
It should be over a full season, but unfortunately, voting starts too early and ends too soon, so the previous season has to be taken into consideration.

76Texan
12-21-2007, 12:22 AM
Mario didn't deserve to go until Schobel and co. already had a couple votes. After the Carolina game, he dropped off and he was inconsistent until around week 11 or so. Schobel, on the other hand, has been snubbed before and the players and coaches finally decided to let him in. Veterans always get in before young players.Sorry, but totally disagree with you on that!

BattleRedToro
12-21-2007, 06:37 AM
How can you say its a popularity contest when the fans didn't even come close to voting him in?

It is still a popularity contest regardless of how the fans voted. Are you assuming that coaches and players vote strictly on the players that they believe had the best performance? They couldn't possibly vote based on their personal biases or the name recognition of the players on which they vote. No, only fans would do that. Get real, man.

It should be over a full season, but unfortunately, voting starts too early and ends too soon, so the previous season has to be taken into consideration.

Voting shouldn't start until after the entire Week 1 games are over and shouldn't finish until after all of the Week 17 games are over.

I guess I never realized before that the ProBowl selections were made before the season was over. Now that I do, I really think it is a joke. I hope that the Commissioner changes that. I also, like his other idea of moving the ProBowl to the SuperBowl City and having it played on the Sunday before the SuperBowl as a sort of Kickoff to the SuperBowl Week.

mexican_texan
12-21-2007, 05:52 PM
It is still a popularity contest regardless of how the fans voted. Are you assuming that coaches and players vote strictly on the players that they believe had the best performance? They couldn't possibly vote based on their personal biases or the name recognition of the players on which they vote. No, only fans would do that. Get real, man.
So you're saying that the players and coaches voted on Schobel strictly because they liked him more? His status as a veteran had a lot to do with it. Veterans will ALWAYS get in before a young player.

Voting shouldn't start until after the entire Week 1 games are over and shouldn't finish until after all of the Week 17 games are over.

I guess I never realized before that the ProBowl selections were made before the season was over. Now that I do, I really think it is a joke. I hope that the Commissioner changes that. I also, like his other idea of moving the ProBowl to the SuperBowl City and having it played on the Sunday before the SuperBowl as a sort of Kickoff to the SuperBowl Week.
If I had my way, I would move voting from week 12 to week 17. If voting starts too early, popular players have an advantage because no one else has proven themselves to be Pro Bowl worthy yet.