PDA

View Full Version : Parcells turns down Falcons

HoustonFrog
12-19-2007, 10:04 AM
Considering how he set Dallas back up with his moves and helped bring a little more stability I think this is good for them. He will get rid of the head cases.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3160597

Bill Parcells said Wednesday that he likely will accept the Atlanta Falcons' offer to become the team's vice president of football operations.

"I'm pretty sure I'm going to do it. [Owner] Arthur [Blank] and I have had some pretty constructive discussions. I basically will oversee the football operations. We'll meet today -- not in Atlanta -- and work out some of the final details but I don't think there's any deal breakers here," Parcells said.

Parcells said he has no plans to return to coaching.

"Arthur wants to rebuild the football operation. I'll hire a general manager and then we'll hire a coach. We'll do this together, the GM, the coach and myself. The coach absolutely will not be Bill Parcells. All this happens if we finalize this thing, which I expect to do."

Dread-Head
12-19-2007, 10:08 AM
Say what you want about the job he did in Dallas but he did get those girls to the playoffs a few times and did draft MOST of the talent on the current roster including Mr. Horsecollar and Jessica Simpson's current girlfriend Toni Romo.

StarStruck
12-19-2007, 10:46 AM
Say what you want about the job he did in Dallas but he did get those girls to the playoffs a few times and did draft MOST of the talent on the current roster including Mr. Horsecollar and Jessica Simpson's current girlfriend Toni Romo.

I believe that Roy Williams was drafted while Dave Campo was still head coach.

HoustonFrog
12-19-2007, 11:02 AM

That's what I put in my original post....not sure if that was geared towards me but that is what I said..."Considering how he set Dallas back up with hi smoves and a little more stability." I don't give him all the credit but he built the talent base.

adam
12-19-2007, 11:05 AM
It's beginning to look as though Christ himself couldn't save the Falcons. They have a whole football team worth of holes to fill in the offseason and the management has been horrid.

They need something.

HoustonFrog
12-19-2007, 11:13 AM
It's beginning to look as though Christ himself couldn't save the Falcons. They have a whole football team worth of holes to fill in the offseason and the management has been horrid.

They need something.

I have a feeling they may do a Portland Trailblazer type of house cleaning after the display on TV last week where some were supporting Vick with t-shirts, etc. They may want to start distancing themselves and just start from scratch.

Specnatz
12-19-2007, 11:48 AM
I have a feeling they may do a Portland Trailblazer type of house cleaning after the display on TV last week where some were supporting Vick with t-shirts, etc. They may want to start distancing themselves and just start from scratch.

Exactly, and I think that was the one thing that made Pea-Brain bolt like he did without even talking to the players.

You are going to see a huge gutting of that team to where they might challenge the Bucs for that nonwinning streak.

The1ApplePie
12-19-2007, 11:49 AM
Its too bad you can't buy stock in the Parcells death stare, because that thing is going to be on fire next year.

If wish someone had a video of him giving it to Tyson Thompson last year for like 5 minutes straight after he fumbled the kick off

The Pencil Neck
12-19-2007, 12:05 PM

Romo wasn't drafted, was he? I thought they picked him up as a rookie free agent signing.

BigBull17
12-19-2007, 12:22 PM
God, where do you start with that team? I guess cut every one and start form scratch. TradeAs many for picks as you can, and say hit the road to the rest. What a bunch of whiney losers. You can get picks for Crumpler, Hall, and thats about it...Try and keep Dunn for the leadership aspect and go from there.

Goldensilence
12-19-2007, 12:39 PM
Don't honestly know what would help this team but say what you want about Parcells he's taken 4 different teams to the playoffs and 2 teams to the SB. His downfall in Big D was not kissing Owens Ass and i don't blame him.

ATL has so many holes and I still think when Blank hired Petrino for the gig most of the NFL collectively did a double take. It was a bad hire from the get go. I think he did both sides a big service by bolting. I agree though this offseason has to be starting from scratch and gutting the team big time. Recoup what you can from Vick, then pull every plug and distance yourself from him. they drafted fairly well last year and still have our other second. The NFC South is relatively weak right now too. IF they hire the right guy it wouldn't be that big of a suprise that they could be competitive in 2 years.

nunusguy
12-19-2007, 12:59 PM
Sounds like Parcells is going to play the same sort of role with the Falcons
that Dan Reeves played here in Houston with the Texans, but instead of looking over Casserlys shoulder he'll be looking over Falcons GM McKays.

Kaiser Toro
12-19-2007, 01:16 PM
This a must hire for Blank. I do not buy into the Parcells' magic, but he is a great diversion for a franchise full of issues.

dtran04
12-19-2007, 01:24 PM
Scott Pioli of the Patriots would be a good first hire.

HoustonFrog
12-19-2007, 01:33 PM
This a must hire for Blank. I do not buy into the Parcells' magic, but he is a great diversion for a franchise full of issues.

What he does do well is sets a plan and drafts and gets guys who fit his plan. It didn't work with his style coaching in Dallas but his pieces with the style now works beautifully. He drafted talent and he knew what he wanted. I think just having that structure will benefit them. Again, as I said above, it is like the Trailblazers...they will deconstruct and start over.

Texan_Bill
12-19-2007, 01:45 PM
Classic!!

I believe that Roy Williams was drafted while Dave Campo was still head coach.
Correct. His very first game as a pro was September 8, 2002 (I wonder why I know that?)

What he does do well is sets a plan and drafts and gets guys who fit his plan. It didn't work with his style coaching in Dallas but his pieces with the style now works beautifully. He drafted talent and he knew what he wanted. I think just having that structure will benefit them. Again, as I said above, it is like the Trailblazers...they will deconstruct and start over.

I agree with you. HE can get an organization turned around by his philosophy and frankly being a jerk. A jerk as is needed to straighten some folks within that organization out... I hope for the Falcons sake, that they have patience with him, because they are in such shambles that its going to take more than a few years to get things turned around.

Lucky
12-19-2007, 01:48 PM
Parcells? Talk about someone who needs to stay away from the fried chicken and fries.

Kaiser Toro
12-19-2007, 01:50 PM
Parcells' playoff record with Giants 8-3 (83-90). Since 3-5 (93-96, 97-99, 2003-2006). Total 11-8.

Parcells' playoff record with Belichick as Coordinator 10-4, without 1-4.

Errant Hothy
12-19-2007, 01:53 PM
Sounds like Parcells is going to play the same sort of role with the Falcons
that Dan Reeves played here in Houston with the Texans, but instead of looking over Casserlys shoulder he'll be looking over Falcons GM McKays.

If Parcells is hired as the VP of Football Operations, McKay may not be the GM much longer. And I think that might be a good think for the Falcons.

HOU-TEX
12-19-2007, 02:33 PM
Parcells? Talk about someone who needs to stay away from the fried chicken and fries.

Agreed! You want manboobs, Parcells is your man. :specnatz:

http://www.blogsmithmedia.com/sports.aol.com/fanhouse/media/2006/08/parcells_boobs.png

kastofsna
12-19-2007, 03:17 PM
that's too bad, he was also talking to Miami.

then again, Rich McKay is out in Atlanta, so.....time to go to Miami!

austintexanite
12-19-2007, 03:20 PM
I wonder who he will hire as coach. Garrett?

Texan_Bill
12-19-2007, 03:26 PM
610 said that Chris Mortenson on BSPN has reported that Parcells had "a change of heart and turned down the position"

Errant Hothy
12-19-2007, 03:34 PM
Here's the story, Big Bill might be on his way to Miami:
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3161733

FLOWERY BRANCH, Ga. -- Bill Parcells will not be joining the Atlanta Falcons as head of football operations.

Parcells turned down the position, Falcons owner Arthur Blank said Wednesday in a statement. Blank said the team had an agreement in principle with Parcells, but after he told the Falcons he was considering an offer from the Miami Dolphins, negotiations fell through.

austintexanite
12-19-2007, 03:34 PM
610 said that Chris Mortenson on BSPN has reported that Parcells had "a change of heart and turned down the position"

Was going to post that, here's a link. Dolphins???

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/football/nfl/12/19/bc.fbn.falcons.parcells.ap/index.html

Texan_Bill
12-19-2007, 03:40 PM

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/football/nfl/12/19/bc.fbn.falcons.parcells.ap/index.html

Thanks for the link:

Hilarious. I had another browser open to BSPN's web page and they were showing Bill with a Happy face, with a caption saying something to the effect, "Bill is eyeballing Atlanta.....". I forgot to refresh the page until a second ago and the picture was:
http://assets.espn.go.com/photo/2006/1128/nfl_g_parcells_65.jpg
with the caption: Parcells to Falcons: No Thanks

Parcells to Atlanta: No Thanks (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3161733)

HoustonFrog
12-19-2007, 04:38 PM

Frog repeated an above story...stone me :)

Errant Hothy
12-19-2007, 04:40 PM
Ever get the feeling nobody sees what you psot sometimes?

Double Barrel
12-19-2007, 04:43 PM
What ever happened to that poster named Hoth-Boy? I haven't seen him around in awhile. :um:

Texan_Bill
12-19-2007, 05:04 PM

Ummmm, in a word - YES!!

Specnatz
12-19-2007, 05:08 PM

I am sorry have we met before? Are you new to the TexansTalk forum?

kastofsna
12-19-2007, 05:09 PM
come on down to Miami, Tuna.

Errant Hothy
12-19-2007, 05:10 PM
I am sorry have we met before? Are you new to the TexansTalk forum?

Yeah I am, something is wrong with me account cause it says I've got something like 4617 posts... :shades:

Kaiser Toro
12-19-2007, 05:32 PM
Silly Tuna, Phins' are for kids.

StarStruck
12-19-2007, 05:36 PM
Agreed! You want manboobs, Parcells is your man. :specnatz:

http://www.blogsmithmedia.com/sports.aol.com/fanhouse/media/2006/08/parcells_boobs.png

Correction -- You want results, Parcells is your man. But, the thing about Parcells is being secure enough in his financial well being that he is probably the most selective in the field in whom he will offer his services. I can imagine that the Tampa Bay organization is having flash backs about now.

Silver Oak
12-19-2007, 06:01 PM

Mod rep given!

HoustonFrog
12-19-2007, 06:25 PM

Sorry Hoth, I am in and out and was a dumb-@ss. It happens.:) I'm out of here starting tomorrow and have Christmas and then the Bahamas so right now the head is elsewhere.

I do get what you mean though. There was a Mitchell leak report 4 pages after mine the other day.:cool:

spent
12-19-2007, 07:00 PM
this so typical parcells!

TEXANRED
12-19-2007, 10:19 PM
Parcells has long admired Huizenga and the Dolphins organization. Parcells also maintains a home in South Florida, where he enjoys watching baseball, playing golf, and following horse racing.

He also likes moonlit walks on the beach, sunsets in the closing months of summer, and gazing longingly into the eyes of a beautiful woman.

If this is the right match for you, please dial 1-800-PLZ-HELP

Operators are standing by.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=jc-parcellstodolphins121907&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

Hardcore Texan
12-19-2007, 10:35 PM

Yes, and sometimes often.

adam
12-19-2007, 11:41 PM
I find it funny that his choices are between the two biggest disasters in the NFL. Is NO ONE else interested in Parcells? Or, is Parcells just looking for something to do?

kastofsna
12-20-2007, 02:28 AM
Miami is hardly a disaster. unlike Atlanta, there is plenty of young promise in Miami. pretty excited about this.

OzzO
12-20-2007, 10:20 AM
...."Bill is eyeballing Atlanta.....". I forgot to refresh the page until a second ago and the picture was:
http://assets.espn.go.com/photo/2006/1128/nfl_g_parcells_65.jpg
with the caption: Parcells to Falcons: No Thanks

Parcells to Atlanta: No Thanks (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3161733)

Looks like he's showing Atlanta his O face

Texan_Bill
12-20-2007, 10:27 AM
Miami is hardly a disaster. unlike Atlanta, there is plenty of young promise in Miami. pretty excited about this.

Thats a matter of opinion because really, other than the QB position Atlanta has a lot more peices in place than Miami.

Mr teX
12-20-2007, 10:28 AM
& the football gods continue to dump on Blank & the falcons........................................... ................................lol:

HOU-TEX
12-20-2007, 11:08 AM

Young and Miami do not belong in the same sentence. I believe he has a home in Florida. Couple that with the Dolphins increasing the money and there's your answer of why he chose Miami.

I actually feel kinda sorry for Blank. The dude's been screwed in every oriface this season. Now that Vick is no longer the face of the franchise, I wish Blank and the Falcon organization well.:)

Errant Hothy
12-20-2007, 11:34 AM
The Tuna to Miami is offical:
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3162909

Bill Parcells signed a four-year contract with the Miami Dolphins to become the team's executive vice president of football operations, according to a Dolphins source.

Parcells faxed the contract to the team. The Dolphins are expected to make a formal announcement Thursday afternoon.

Specnatz
12-20-2007, 11:42 AM

Yep that Defense with Porter and Taylor are really youthful for dinosaurs.

Kaiser Toro
12-20-2007, 11:52 AM
Does anyone else get the feeling that this is all about Belichick's success taking a shine off of Parcells' luster? The timing of the hire (Dolphins v Pats) and going into the Patriots' divison?

Specnatz
12-20-2007, 12:17 PM
Does anyone else get the feeling that this is all about Belichick's success taking a shine off of Parcells' luster? The timing of the hire (Dolphins v Pats) and going into the Patriots' divison?

Ya know I did not consider that angle, nicely done KT.

cuppacoffee
12-20-2007, 01:52 PM

"The new alleged savior has won as many playoff games the past six years as the godforsaken Dolphins have -- zero.

The new alleged savior has watched the Dallas Cowboys be better without him than they ever were with him.

The new alleged savior is a rude, self-important dictator not unlike Nick Saban."

Your local fishwrap doesn't sound too excited. Guess it is just one mans opinion though.

http://www.miamiherald.com/418/story/351302.html

Should be an interesting offseason for the fins.

Doubt the Ricky experiment continues.

:coffee:

adam
12-20-2007, 02:29 PM

Promise? Really? Where? You're 1-13 and the only spots of hope I've seen from Miami are Ronnie Brown and Ted Ginn Jr. John Beck looked miserable. Even for a rookie, he was miserable. I'm sorry, but I haven't seen anything that would imply that Miami is in any sort of good shape.

As for youth, ehhh...no. Simply said, you have one of the oldest starting line-ups in the NFL, especially on defense.

Vinny
12-20-2007, 04:00 PM
Does anyone else get the feeling that this is all about Belichick's success taking a shine off of Parcells' luster? The timing of the hire (Dolphins v Pats) and going into the Patriots' divison?Parcells has been successful in his career but wildly successful when he has had BB as his DC.

I think Miami is a good match since they have already have a foundation of a 3-4 and probably has more professional locker room guys than the Dirty Birds who have a foundation of questionable character types and a franchise that can't seem to do anything right for noob owner Blanks.