PDA

View Full Version : Len P says Mario is the biggest ProBowl Snub. And eats some crow to boot!

gtexan02
12-18-2007, 09:10 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=pasquarelli_len&id=3160443

Twenty months ago, on the evening in which the Houston Texans chose defensive end Mario Williams over tailback Reggie Bush with the first overall selection in the 2006 draft, I suggested the franchise should think about turning over such critical decisions to Mr. Magoo, who might actually demonstrate a little more foresight.

But on Tuesday night, with the taste of crow still fresh on my palate, I find myself wondering just who in the league, and in the voting public, are really the most nearsighted. Because during a year in which Blooper Mario has transformed into Super Mario, collecting the second-most sacks (13) in the league, the Texans' second-year end ranks among the most notable Pro Bowl oversights.

Texans_Chick
12-18-2007, 09:16 PM
Nice.

Hey, I want to do an addendum to my everybody apologizing about the Mario thing blog entry.

In this thread, could everyone help me by listing every Mario apology article that they can find?

I didn't hear it, but apparently Jim Rome after the Denver game apologized on behalf of the entire universe to Mario.

axman40
12-18-2007, 09:19 PM
Nice.

Hey, I want to do an addendum to my everybody apologizing about the Mario thing blog entry.

In this thread, could everyone help me by listing every Mario apology article that they can find?

I didn't hear it, but apparently Jim Rome after the Denver game apologized on behalf of the entire universe to Mario.
Yes he did it was epic!
Quick shout out to Houston Texans stud, Mario Williams. Speaking on behalf the entire universe, sorry we crushed and vilified you before you had even stepped on to your first NFL field. Sorry, we annihilated you as the NFL’s Sam Bowie before you had even had a chance to rush your first NFL QB…and we’re all guilty of it.

Who amongst us didn’t jump the Texans for taking Williams over Reggie Bush and Vince Young. I mean, has there even been more pressure on a draft pick. Even if he succeeded, he still failed. No matter what he did, it would never be enough. Considering he went first and who he was taken over, he had to be a once in a lifetime player. Playing great wasn’t enough, he had to take over games by himself…and that’s exactly what he’s doing now. Taking over games. He hounded Jay Cutler last night like he owed him money or stole something from him…sacked him three and half times…giving him 9 in the last 5 games alone.
http://www.jimrome.com/archives/121420070/articles/article_3.html
:fans:

Honoring Earl 34
12-18-2007, 10:06 PM
I would personally like to say how sorry I am that Mario Williams did'nt make the pro bowl .

How can there be such a snub ... this man's a beast .

Oh by the way ... I thought you were the right choice all along ... you are an emerging superstar .

Peyton Manning

Honoring Earl 34
12-18-2007, 10:06 PM
What if Mario plays better in all red ?

Specnatz
12-18-2007, 10:15 PM
Nice.

"They're getting their money's worth these days, aren't they," Cutler said when asked about Williams."

http://blog.washingtonpost.com/nflinsider/2007/12/texans_owed_apologies_maybe_m.html?nav=rss_blog

WOW this is a huge find ................

http://www.fannation.com/blogs/post/58015

http://www.dejuiced.com/nfl/maybe-we-were-wrong-about-that-mario-guy

http://www.sportingnews.com/experts/dennis-dillon/blog/ You might haveto scroll down a little.

DiehardChris
12-18-2007, 10:21 PM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writers/peter_king/12/11/mmqbte/index.html

Joe Texan
12-18-2007, 10:45 PM
There are still tickets on the Mario train, All you Vince and reggie lovers jump on board.

I am POed that Mario did not make the starting probowlers. What a bunch of bone heads that were voting. Now lets all hope Mario gets the lead and keeps it this season. Look out Peyton, Mario and Demeco got your number.

DiehardChris
12-18-2007, 10:49 PM
Actually, if the Vince and Reggie lovers just want to wait for the train, that would be fine too. Just have a seat on the tracks, please.

Ckw
12-18-2007, 11:09 PM
What if Mario plays better in all red ?

Then I better not see us play one more down without our red tights on.

Brandon420tx
12-19-2007, 12:07 AM
See my Sig

austintexanite
12-19-2007, 12:48 AM
See my Sig

Great one man, who's being tackled?

threetoedpete
12-19-2007, 07:19 AM
What was the Gene Roddenberry Line: Revenge is a dish best served cold.

Well we'll see how far his dobber is down this weekend 'bout getting snubbed by the peers. Make me prety motivated. Ugoh handles him again I'm going to throw out the "C" word with Dungy's miraculous third round election.

michaelm
12-19-2007, 10:40 AM
It has become accepted wisdom around here that Mario plays better when he's mad.... if that's the case, then Mario should be a mad man this Sunday against Indy.
I hope he's pissed about the Pro Bowl snub, and eats Manning alive.

nunusguy
12-19-2007, 12:05 PM
Jim Rome also apologized to his TV audience in the last couple days for the
abuse he and many others in the media laid on Mario & the Texans after the
2006 Draft, which I thought was a classy move.
But it's nice to see another one come around and admit to the errors of their
ways.

Double Barrel
12-19-2007, 12:13 PM
It has become accepted wisdom around here that Mario plays better when he's mad.... if that's the case, then Mario should be a mad man this Sunday against Indy.
I hope he's pissed about the Pro Bowl snub, and eats Manning alive.

Booya! That's what I was going to say. :howdy:

May this Pro Bowl snub continue to fuel the fire that burns in Mario's heart. I hope he plays like a man possessed these last two games and let's the entire nation know what a flawed system it is when we select Pro Bowlers with three weeks still left in the season.

HOU-TEX
12-19-2007, 01:23 PM

May this Pro Bowl snub continue to fuel the fire that burns in Mario's heart. I hope he plays like a man possessed these last two games and let's the entire nation know what a flawed system it is when we select Pro Bowlers with three weeks still left in the season.

Let's hope he's this type of guy and not the type that throws in the towel because he wasn't picked.

If he has even a portion of what D-Ryans has shown us after being snubbed last year, Mario will be on a mission of mass destruction. :bat:

axman40
12-19-2007, 04:29 PM
Memo to Mario :
THe Season begins in Sept, if you wait for Nov to start playing , you WILL get Hosed in the Pro Bowl selection every year!
:cowboy1:

Texans_Chick
12-19-2007, 04:39 PM
Memo to Mario :
THe Season begins in Sept, if you wait for Nov to start playing , you WILL get Hosed in the Pro Bowl selection every year!

Memo to axman40:

Dude was defensive player of the week in Week 1 of the season against KC. :cowboy1:

Sacks come in bunches. Kubiak said throughout the season that Williams was pressuring the QB a lot but that the sacks weren't happening yet but that he was happy with what he was seeing and he thought it would happen. Many folks preferred to mock what Kubiak said.

Dallas_Texan
12-19-2007, 04:40 PM
Yes he did it was epic!
Quick shout out to Houston Texans stud, Mario Williams. Speaking on behalf the entire universe, sorry we crushed and vilified you before you had even stepped on to your first NFL field. Sorry, we annihilated you as the NFL’s Sam Bowie before you had even had a chance to rush your first NFL QB…and we’re all guilty of it.

Who amongst us didn’t jump the Texans for taking Williams over Reggie Bush and Vince Young. I mean, has there even been more pressure on a draft pick. Even if he succeeded, he still failed. No matter what he did, it would never be enough. Considering he went first and who he was taken over, he had to be a once in a lifetime player. Playing great wasn’t enough, he had to take over games by himself…and that’s exactly what he’s doing now. Taking over games. He hounded Jay Cutler last night like he owed him money or stole something from him…sacked him three and half times…giving him 9 in the last 5 games alone.
:fans:

I didn't!!!!!!!!! (I wanted D'Brickashaw) LOL!!

Specnatz
12-19-2007, 04:41 PM
Memo to axman40:

Dude was defensive player of the week in Week 1 of the season against KC. :cowboy1:

Sacks come in bunches. Kubiak said throughout the season that Williams was pressuring the QB a lot but that the sacks weren't happening yet but that he was happy with what he was seeing and he thought it would happen. Many folks preferred to mock what Kubiak said.

I agree with you 1000% and I might have said as much in another thread.

hookinreds
12-19-2007, 04:44 PM

Hopefully we see Mario go off on Peyton and Garrard like Dream did on the Mermaid in '95 after being snubbed for the MVP.

axman40
12-19-2007, 04:51 PM
Mario has been on Fire the past 5 weeks!
http://www.nfl.com/players/mariowilliams/gamelogs?id=WIL431243
:texflag:

Texan_Bill
12-19-2007, 04:52 PM
Memo to axman40:

Memo to Texans_Chick:

Dude pulled a complete disappearing act in weeks 2-5. :cowboy1:
:jk:
:includeme:

76Texan
12-19-2007, 05:07 PM
I think there was only one game (Chargers, I believe) in which Mario didn't perform as well as I would like. He registered a sack and just an assist in that game. Most of the times when Mario was lining up one on one agaisnt McNeil, he just couldn't do anything. (Well, the dude is big 6'7 336 and made the pro bowl last year.)

Kubiak, however, responded totally differently when asked by a reporter about Mario's performance:
“He is playing exceptionally well,” Kubiak said of Williams. “Yesterday was no exception to the rule. He’s been doing that and played really well yesterday.”

I said at the time that Kubiak was probably just fed up by the media questioning Mario's ability and heart day in day out.

TexansFanatic
12-19-2007, 06:57 PM
Sorry if this has been posted before (or 10 times before) but did anyone else see Mario's speech in the locker room after Kubiak tossed him the game ball?

He was very classy and thanked the offense for keeping him and the rest of the defense off the field, keeping him fresh.

But perhaps even more notable was the way he thanked his fellow defensive teammates and the defensive coaches and Kubiak for staying on his butt and urging him to make a play. He knows he needs a fire under him and he's happy to to deliver when urged to do so. That's awesome!

RazorOye
12-19-2007, 08:37 PM
Mario Williams should have made it - I am upset that he didn't.

And I think Colston and Evans were HUGE snubs. Colston's numbers are very strong and I think he's one of the top 3 WRs in the NFC. Of course, maybe that's my Saints homerism talking. But his stats are pretty impressive and seeing him play - he's phenomenal.

Evans is arguably the best guard in the NFC.

I think an argument could be made for Brees, but in 4 or 5 games, he really didn't show up, looked terrible. So while I think he is one of the top 5 QBs in the NFL, he didn't show it consistently enough I guess.

But I feel bad for Mario - with all the criticism he's had to face, he deserved to get his shot after how he has performed throughout adversity.

marks01234
12-20-2007, 11:14 AM
Memo to Mario :

Actually Pro Bowls are decided on name recognition meaning Mario should be a shoe in next year - espically if Jason Taylor is no longer in the AFC.

marks01234
12-20-2007, 11:17 AM
And I think Colston and Evans were HUGE snubs. Colston's numbers are very strong and I think he's one of the top 3 WRs in the NFC. Of course, maybe that's my Saints homerism talking. But his stats are pretty impressive and seeing him play - he's phenomenal.

There are a lot of good WRs in the league. Both Colston and Donald Driver are just as good as those guys who were selected.

That being said, I'm glad Torry Holt got in. I firmly believe he is the best WR in football but you just don't hear about it because he is a team player.

nunusguy
12-20-2007, 04:14 PM
Actually Pro Bowls are decided on name recognition meaning Mario should be a shoe in next year - espically if Jason Taylor is no longer in the AFC.

Yea maybe but then we got the stubby, little speed-merchant from Indy coming back next year from IR and he's a perennial PBowler.

dtran04
12-20-2007, 04:16 PM
I think there was only one game (Chargers, I believe) in which Mario didn't perform as well as I would like. He registered a sack and just an assist in that game. Most of the times when Mario was lining up one on one agaisnt McNeil, he just couldn't do anything. (Well, the dude is big 6'7 336 and made the pro bowl last year.)

Kubiak, however, responded totally differently when asked by a reporter about Mario's performance:
“He is playing exceptionally well,” Kubiak said of Williams. “Yesterday was no exception to the rule. He’s been doing that and played really well yesterday.”

I said at the time that Kubiak was probably just fed up by the media questioning Mario's ability and heart day in day out.

I think Rivers threw the ball like 10 times that game. I don't blame Mario for not sacking him.

Texans_Chick
12-20-2007, 04:23 PM
I think Rivers threw the ball like 10 times that game. I don't blame Mario for not sacking him.

Yeah, that game was a total confusion job by the secondary because who knew about that Antonio Gates fellow? Hard to sack the quarterback when you are playing from that far behind.

76Texan
12-20-2007, 04:42 PM
Yeah, that game was a total confusion job by the secondary because who knew about that Antonio Gates fellow? Hard to sack the quarterback when you are playing from that far behind.So with those assessments. One sack out of 11 attempts wasn't bad at all.

What I was referring to is that it was the only game that I think Mario wasn't as solid as I'd like. And that only says a lot more about the guy.

I have submitted all year long that Mario is our best D-linemen, and perhaps our most consistent defensive player this year, even before Ryans slowed down a bit with his injury, and Mario's late burst.

As they run neck to neck, I would vote for Mario to be the Defensive Player of the Year this year, no matter how thin that margin might be.

Texan_Bill
12-20-2007, 04:48 PM
So with those assessments. One sack out of 11 attempts wasn't bad at all.

What I was referring to is that it was the only game that I think Mario wasn't as solid as I'd like. And that only says a lot more about the guy.

I have submitted all year long that Mario is our best D-linemen, and perhaps our most consistent defensive player this year, even before Ryans slowed down a bit with his injury, and Mario's late burst.

As they run neck to neck, I would vote for Mario to be the Defensive Player of the Year this year, no matter how thin that margin might be.

What are you smoking man!?!? I want some. Anyway, if you look at (I think) weeks 2 through 4 or 5, Mario had a dissappearing act that would have made David Copperfield proud... DeMeco has been steady Freddy the entire season.

76Texan
12-20-2007, 04:52 PM
What are you smoking man!?!? I want some. Anyway, if you look at (I think) weeks 2 through 4 or 5, Mario had a dissappearing act that would have made David Copperfield proud... DeMeco has been steady Freddy the entire season.

I'll go back and review those games!
Even though I did spend a lot of times on them already, but if it pleases you, I'll try again.:devilpig:

Texan_Bill
12-20-2007, 04:58 PM
I'll go back and review those games!
Even though I did spend a lot of times on them already, but if it pleases you, I'll try again.:devilpig:

Check this link: NFL.com Mario Williams (http://www.nfl.com/players/mariowilliams/gamelogs?id=WIL431243)

76Texan
12-20-2007, 05:03 PM
Check this link: NFL.com Mario Williams (http://www.nfl.com/players/mariowilliams/gamelogs?id=WIL431243)
I've seen those, LOL!
:specnatz:

Specnatz
12-20-2007, 05:41 PM

So your saying that shows that Mario was never in the backfield? That Oakland ran the ball away from Mario or that against Tenn he had 4 solo tackles and with all the turnovers Houston had and giving tenn a short field and when they had a huge lead they ran the ball, yep he was non exsistant. He might as well have been on the sidelines.

Now with that said did he do things wrong, oh yeah. He ran past plays putting him out of position to make tackles and or sacks. He could be better at raising his arms as to blog throws when he is double teamed. I also think the coaching staf has to share part of the blame because of where they lined him up and the play calling.

I just completely disagree with saying he completely disappeared and show his stat page as to say look see no sacks and say he disappeared and did nothing.