PDA

View Full Version : Will Indy mail it in this weekend?

MojoMan
12-17-2007, 06:21 PM
What are the Texan's prospects for victory against the Colts this weekend?

I was talking with a friend of mine and noted that 1) Indy had sewn up a first round bye and 2) New England had locked up home field throughout the playoffs. I suggested that since the Colts had nothing left to play for, this would take the edge off of Indy and possibly give the Texans a better chance to win. In my opinion, if Indy was still battling for a bye, the Texans would very probably be dead meat.

My friend objected strongly and said he believed the Colts would play with the same intensity either way. However, based on the Texan's strong play the past two weeks, and the Colt's weak play, he thinks the Texans can beat the Colts this weekend even with the Colts going full blast.

What do you guys think? Since Indy has nothing left to play for, does this take the edge off of them? Might they rest some players? Can the Texans beat the Indianapolis Colts on the road?

TEXANS84
12-17-2007, 06:24 PM
Here's your answer:

Colts coach Tony Dungy confirmed Monday that he won't rest his starters in Week 16 against the Texans.
An undefeated Colts team in 2005 sat starters in Weeks 16 and 17 and came out flat against Pittsburgh in the playoffs. "A month is a long time," Dungy said, referring to the time before Indianapolis would play its next game with a first-round bye already in hand. The Colts' victory over Oakland Sunday assured them of the No. 2 seed in the AFC.
Source: Indianapolis Star
Related: Peyton Manning

Double Barrel
12-17-2007, 06:27 PM
I recall a 4-10 team beating Indy last Christmas Eve. I think our team will treat this one like a playoff game, simply because a franchise-first winning record is within reach.

Will the Colts play with the same intensity with everything wrapped up? I hope not!

Big game for us: first .500 season, first 3 game win streak, first time to beat Indy in their crib. Should we win, the team knows they are coming home to try to get that winning record during our last home game, which would be a positive vibe for the team and fans going into the off-season.

Lucky
12-17-2007, 06:27 PM
Colts coach Tony Dungy confirmed Monday that he won't rest his starters in Week 16 against the Texans.But will they play the entire game? Will anyone with an injury greater than a hangnail see the field? Dungy has to keep the troops motivated, but he's not going to risk much this close to the playoffs.

Speedy
12-17-2007, 06:48 PM
Aren't they pretty banged up anyway? If the Texans can use some of the same formula as last Christmas eve, run, run, run, eat clock, allow as few possessions as possible, like 3 in the 2nd half and just 1 in the 4th quarter, then hell yeah the Texans can win and probably should win.

TEXANS84
12-17-2007, 06:49 PM
Bob Sanders is healthy...that's the running defense right there.

DiehardChris
12-17-2007, 07:22 PM
Man, I cannot wait to see Mario get after Peyton. If he gets good pressure on 18 early, I can't imagine Dungy wouldn't sit him after halftime.

SICLICK
12-17-2007, 07:42 PM
Thats a good question.
I dont think we will win. I would love for us to close out the season with 3 straight wins.

axman40
12-17-2007, 07:46 PM
Thats a good question.
I dont think we will win. I would love for us to close out the season with 3 straight wins.
I want 4!
:fans:

Drew_Smoke
12-17-2007, 07:53 PM
I saw a guy in the "Bookmaker's Room" of OALAH.com is giving the Texans 10 points and 10-1 odds. I need to get my pick in.

TooManyWeapons
12-18-2007, 10:07 AM
Hello again - I have returned!

And I just don't see it happening, guys. Your team is much-improved and we ARE banged-up, but I think it's also a priority to Dungy et al that we don't concede any home games to division teams.

What you may see - and benefit from - are some greater risks taken play-calling-wise on deep routes and things of that nature, as we've still got a lot of new and rookie players in starting positions that would benefit from the reps.

I'm not calling the game an Indy lock, I'm just saying you can probably expect to be played with the intention to dominate.

gwallaia
12-18-2007, 10:38 AM
In any event, I will be sitting Peyton Manning and starting Ben Rothlisberger in my Fantasy Playoff game this weekend.

threetoedpete
12-18-2007, 10:47 AM
Man, I cannot wait to see Mario get after Peyton. If he gets good pressure on 18 early, I can't imagine Dungy wouldn't sit him after halftime.

Well I've brought this up befor...he's going against Tony Ugoh this game. Kid is dinged ...but ...

If we get up on the colts three scores...he'll pitch in the towel. Sorgi will go in.

Errant Hothy
12-18-2007, 11:18 AM
I think that if Mario can get a clean, clear shot at Manning that'll be the last we see of him.

I don't expect Sanders to play the full game either.

Dungy neds to play his guys to keep them sharp, but there is no need for them to play the full game. Imagine the outcry in Indy if either Manning or Sanders or Adai gets hurt in the second half of the game.

Indy gains nothing by winning this game, but they can lose nearly everything if the suffer an injury to one of their big names.

eriadoc
12-18-2007, 11:27 AM
I want us to beat the Colts with their best effort.

eric138
12-18-2007, 12:56 PM
it's easy...

if the colts win, they will say they were going fullspeed

if the Texans win, the colts will say they eased up on the play and were just there for the giggles..

Indy Skinnz
12-18-2007, 01:15 PM
it's easy...

if the colts win, they will say they were going fullspeed

if the Texans win, the colts will say they eased up on the play and were just there for the giggles..

There is no way any member of the Colts would say that. A Colts fan might but don't expect to hear that out of Dungy's or Manning's mouth.

Texan_Bill
12-18-2007, 01:31 PM
There is no way any member of the Colts would say that. A Colts fan might but don't expect to hear that out of Dungy's or Manning's mouth.

The only thing I want to hear out of Manning's mouth is "cut that meat - cut that meat".

Seriously though, I wouldn't expect anything less than class from those guys.

Errant Hothy
12-18-2007, 02:00 PM
Heaven help Dungy if a starter gets hurt in the second half.

awtysst
12-18-2007, 02:16 PM
I am playing Addai for sure in my fantasy league this week. Still up in the air about Gonzalez or Clark. So, yeah I am hoping DUngy plays them(but of course I am hoping for a Texans win).

TEXANS84
12-18-2007, 02:20 PM
Harrison is OUT for this weekend's game.

austintexanite
12-18-2007, 02:34 PM
I believe that Dungy said he is going to play his starters against us and the Tacks, because they are division games and he wants his team to not lose any focus.

scourge
12-18-2007, 02:53 PM
Seriously though, I wouldn't expect anything less than class from those guys.

"This isn't basketball. I cant play both ways. All we can do as an offense is try and score points."

"I'm trying to be a good teammate here … let's just say we had some problems with protection."

“Either give me all the credit when we win or give the team the blame when we lose.”

yeah, nothing but class from peyton :sarcasm:

Texan_Bill
12-18-2007, 03:43 PM
"This isn't basketball. I cant play both ways. All we can do as an offense is try and score points."

"I'm trying to be a good teammate here … let's just say we had some problems with protection."

“Either give me all the credit when we win or give the team the blame when we lose.”

I really don't remember him making those comments... WOW!!!

beerlover
12-19-2007, 03:34 PM
Hello again - I have returned!

And I just don't see it happening, guys. Your team is much-improved and we ARE banged-up, but I think it's also a priority to Dungy et al that we don't concede any home games to division teams.

What you may see - and benefit from - are some greater risks taken play-calling-wise on deep routes and things of that nature, as we've still got a lot of new and rookie players in starting positions that would benefit from the reps.

I'm not calling the game an Indy lock, I'm just saying you can probably expect to be played with the intention to dominate.

Indianapolis is 0-8 against the spread in Weeks 16 and 17 since 2003.

Specnatz
12-19-2007, 03:42 PM
I really don't remember him making those comments... WOW!!!

I recall the first two not the third.

MojoMan
12-19-2007, 04:31 PM
The line for the game has fallen from -9 points for Indy to the current -7 points. It appears that the bookies are not as confident about the fighting spirit of the Colts as they were a few days ago.

adam
12-19-2007, 05:59 PM
I would actually give us a good chance to win this game. Dungy is bold, but he isn't stupid. He isn't going to risk an injury to a big named player this close to the playoffs. Everyone will start, but I doubt everyone will finish. As for the actual game, Mario vs Ugoh is a dream match-up for us this time around. Ugoh is dinged and Mario is turning the corner, and will probably be out to prove something after being snubbed for the Pro Bowl, despite leading the AFC in sacks.

I won't give a score, but I think this is a fairly balanced matchup.

dtran04
12-19-2007, 06:01 PM
From the conference call, it definitely sounded like the starters would be pulled at some point.

scourge
12-20-2007, 01:38 PM
I recall the first two not the third.

The 3rd comment was after they beat the Ravens in the playoffs last year.

My favorite is the basketball one, though... which came right after we beat them last year.

TooManyWeapons
12-21-2007, 08:20 AM
Indianapolis is 0-8 against the spread in Weeks 16 and 17 since 2003.

And...?

How does that stat look for Houston?

I'm not saying it's a lock - I really tried to make that clear by saying "I'm not saying it's a lock." Sorry for any ambiguity. I just don't think the Colts will be phoning it in this week. Dungy, Manning, and Polian have all made statements indicating that they'd be playing to win.

adam
12-21-2007, 09:42 AM

I thought the Colts passed on Ryan Leaf. :confused:

infantrycak
12-21-2007, 11:01 AM
And...?

It looks like 1 W and 1 L both of which beat the spread.

Texan_Bill
12-21-2007, 11:12 AM
And...?

Looks great for this Houstonian.... well in my wallet anyway.

beerlover
12-21-2007, 11:46 AM
And...?

I'm not saying it's a lock - I really tried to make that clear by saying "I'm not saying it's a lock." Sorry for any ambiguity. I just don't think the Colts will be phoning it in this week. Dungy, Manning, and Polian have all made statements indicating that they'd be playing to win.

Indianapolis is in limbo. It can't catch the Patriots for homefield advantage. It cannot be surpassed by the Chargers and Steelers, given that both squads are three games behind them in the standings. So, the team's locked into the No. 2 seed. That means the Colts have absolutely nothing to play for. Its more a testamont to their great overall play & success during the Manning era, they have learned to prepare & last year, reach their goal winning the Superbowl. nothing to be gained by expousing your playoff aspirations letting a pissed, bypassed for the Pro-Bowl, #1 overall DE who's playing like the second coming of Bruce Smith & a team desperate to finally notch a winning season playing the best football since its inception :cool:

badboy
12-21-2007, 04:28 PM
Which NFL teams are getting the focus? NE and Dallas. Do you want to be able to say you beat Houston or say you went to Super Bowl? Key starters will get a few plays to "keep warm" and then should give way to backups. At least, if it were my choice.