PDA

View Full Version : Future of Mario's development

Wolf
12-16-2007, 11:32 AM
I know there are a ton of Mario threads, but I wanted a discussion that was away from the post draft and such and more on the potential future of Mario.

Now after Mario's big game with Everyone watching. Safe to say offensive coordinators are now game planning more for Mario. I wouldn't expect much than more double teams and RB's chipping him as they go by..

TJ,Weaver,and Okoye this is your chance because Mario has done his part and should be leaving y'all one one on one.

So what do y'all feel about Richard Smith and what is future use of Mario to get him away from double teams?

I haven't gotten to see many games this year and from what I have heard many on here like him on the left side, do y'all expect more movement of Mario to the right side to mix it up and make the offense guess?

Rex King
12-16-2007, 12:27 PM
I noticed some things that helped him get a couple of his sacks last game. One was Amobi seems to be getting his second wind - Mario got pressure from outside, but Amobi's push didn't allow Cutler to step up into the pocket. On another, Smith had Mario lined up outside Charlie Anderson. Anderson followed the TE into coverage, and Mario was left with only the RB to hop, skip, and jump over. I think they'll use him more as they have lately, a lot like Jason Taylor, lined up all over. He didn't look very effective rushing as a DT, though. It also sounds like, with his increased knowledge of the game and improved play-recognition, they're letting him even freelance (don't know if this is true or was just misinterpreted by the radio guys).

Fox
12-16-2007, 01:19 PM
I expect to see more double teams, chips, and less one on one's with TE's and RB's. Teams never know where he's going to line up, so offensive linemen are going to have to make adjustments on the LOS after Mario lines up. Giving opposing offenses one more thing to worry about is going to make everyone else's job much easier. I don't doubt Okoye's ability to capitalize on his opportunities, but I wish we had a better pass rushing end on the other side of Mario to give us a double threat. Maybe next year...

Ole Miss Texan
12-16-2007, 04:22 PM
Seems Mario is getting coached up really well and learning the ropes. He's using his hands a lot better and overall not being near as hesitant. I think he's just getting used to the game on the NFL level.

I also think a lot of Mario's sacks are because of the help of the other players on the DL. Several have been just missed assignments from the offense, some have been because Mario has been really dominant, and some have been great play/calls by the DL. They are working well as a unit and as more focus is on Mario it will really open things up for AO, TJ, etc.

thunderkyss
12-16-2007, 04:52 PM
It's funny.

One knock against Mario was that he got most of his sacks against poor competition.

Here we are, where he gets three of his sacks against a team that will most likely be 6-10, or 7-9 when the season is over.

Let's see what happens when he plays the Colts again, and the Jags.

Don't get me wrong, I'm high on Mario, but all these Mario Bandwagon jumpers amuse me.

Chances are good, real good that the Texans will not record a sack at all against the Colts, much less Mario getting a sack on 'ole Peyton Manning.

NitroGSXR
12-16-2007, 04:59 PM
Don't get me wrong, I'm high on Mario, but all these Mario Bandwagon jumpers amuse me.

Chances are good, real good that the Texans will not record a sack at all against the Colts, much less Mario getting a sack on 'ole Peyton Manning.
If he sacks him, will you jump on the bandwagon? Or will there be a minimum sack requirement? I just wanted to see just what Mario has to do to gain your bandwagoning respect? I'd really like to see you hop on. I've got my foot on the Mario Williams bandwagon but I'm not necessarily on the Mario bandwagon right now but more of on the Houston Texans bandwagon. We've got a winning streak going and our last win was a loud and vocal statement to the naysayers. We're winning so I'm happy. Who cares how we're winning right now. The Houston Texans football team won the Broncos game. Not Mario Williams. Not Sage Rosenfels. Not Will Demps. Not DeMeco Ryans. All of them as a unit is why we won.

I'm happy to be a Houston Texan right now and I'm certainly happy that Mario Williams is a Houston Texan.

Maddict5
12-16-2007, 05:12 PM

il take that bet

BigBull17
12-16-2007, 05:38 PM
I know the Broncos have a bad record, but they have a pretty good oline. 2 of the teams he has gotten sacks against are teams that havent given up alot of sacks, like NO and Den. He is getting help, but is also starting to dominate on his own. Just all in all a good building block for next year.

Errant Hothy
12-16-2007, 05:41 PM
It's funny.

One knock against Mario was that he got most of his sacks against poor competition.

Here we are, where he gets three of his sacks against a team that will most likely be 6-10, or 7-9 when the season is over.

Of course they are good that Mario gets shut out against the Colts, but hey lets not take into account that most DEs get shut out against Manning or anything? Manning is probably one of the hardest QBs to sack, due to great play from his line, and the fact that he hardly holds onto the ball for more then a handful of seconds.

Thorn
12-16-2007, 05:51 PM
If Mario were a graph, his trend line would be going up sharply. That's all anybody can ask. For the record, I'm more than just happy with him, I'm ecstatic he's on our team.

Wolf
12-17-2007, 08:09 PM
It's funny.

I agree but doesn't all "sack kings" play against poor competition at some time or another ? and is that a factor in stats?

we play in the toughest division in the NFL (arguably) yet I see no one talking about Brady and the AFC least and an *

for the record I am not saying Mario is a sack king, just saying some of the more established sackers in the NFL play against lesser LT's and such