PDA

View Full Version : Jon Hoke - South Carolina DC?

Kaiser Toro
12-15-2007, 03:09 PM
snippet:

South Carolina didn't have a new defensive coordinator by the end of the workweek, but it did at least have a vague timetable for the hiring of Tyrone Nix's successor.

Refuting something he'd reportedly said two days earlier, USC coach Steve Spurrier said Friday that he'd like to have a new defensive leader in place before Christmas.

He'd said previously that he would likely wait until after the bowl season to make a hire.

"I'm going to try my best to hire a proven guy that has an excellent track record for coaching defense," Spurrier told reporters after the Shrine Bowl luncheon in Spartanburg. "So, hopefully, we'll do it within a week or so. Hopefully."

When asked about specific names, such as Virginia Tech's Bud Foster, Spurrier declined to comment. But he did say "there's a lot of guys that I've sort of indirectly been in touch with" about the position Nix vacated Tuesday to become Ole Miss' new defensive coordinator."

Other candidates for the opening include Houston Texans secondary coach Jon Hoke, a former defensive coordinator under Spurrier at Florida; Atlanta Falcons linebackers Brian VanGorder, the former Georgia defensive coordinator; and former Ole Miss head coach Ed Orgeron, a well-known recruiter and heralded defensive coach.

http://www.charleston.net/news/2007/dec/15/spurrier_hopes_quick_hire25125/

joedinkle
12-15-2007, 04:49 PM
More discontinuity in the secondary is exactly what we need. Maybe we can get some more bronco blood on the team? I know Hoke has been criticized in the past, but the secondary has performed well with all the injuries once Petey got benched.

aj.
12-15-2007, 05:08 PM
Hoke turned down Spurrier for the same job at least once before. '04 maybe?

Kaiser Toro
12-15-2007, 05:11 PM
Hoke turned down Spurrier for the same job at least once before. '04 maybe?

http://www.redorbit.com/news/technology/362889/hoke_hasnt_heard_from_spurrier/

Hervoyel
12-15-2007, 08:34 PM
I think having Hoke go to Spurrier would be the exact same "addition through subtraction" that we're going to get with Mike Sherman going to A&M.

It probably won't happen but I wouldn't object to it if it did.

austintexanite
12-15-2007, 09:31 PM
Well, it's good for him if he takes off as he'll probably get more pay.

threetoedpete
12-16-2007, 01:11 AM
I think having Hoke go to Spurrier would be the exact same "addition through subtraction" that we're going to get with Mike Sherman going to A&M.

It probably won't happen but I wouldn't object to it if it did.

Well, I'll stand to respectfuly disagree. Outside the o-line coach at Indy that got Tony Ugoh on line and up to NFL speed in six months, Hoke's preformance with this rag tag group of misfits and almost beens has been abolutly without question an outstanding coaching job. There is no way that we should of been in the game thursday night. He had his guys playing way over their heads. If we lose the guy it's going to hurt, and it' going to hurt bad.

aj.
12-16-2007, 09:07 AM
... Hoke's preformance with this rag tag group of misfits and almost beens has been abolutly without question an outstanding coaching job. There is no way that we should of been in the game thursday night. He had his guys playing way over their heads. .

I agree in principle with this. Part of it is pulling guys like Demps off the scrap heap which is on Rick Smith and the scouts, but the other piece is getting them all game ready, functional, playing together, and motivated and that is on Hoke. That task was made especially challenging when 23 went down.

If anyone would have told me before the season started that our starting secondary for the last 1/4 of the year would be Bennett, Hutchins, C.C. and Demps I would have thought 32 out of 32 in pass defense. But they are playing surprisingly well together.

Of course the simple chicken/egg counter argument to this is that the front seven is playing better, i.e., protecting a weak secondary. I don't buy that entirely because I saw plenty of man coverage against Denver the other night which enabled the blitz -- and showed the confidence the coaching staff has in this 'rag tag' group.

It helped that Stokely was out and that Walker is a shell of his former self. I also recall DeMeco getting beat over the top by Scheffler a couple of times when we were in our version of the Tampa 2.

Hoke is a good coach and would be missed. I don't think the secondary falls apart if he leaves.

Rex King
12-16-2007, 12:36 PM
I think it's really hard to say. How much is attributable to Smith's gameplanning/schemes? How much better have they looked with a good pass rush? D-Rob looked worse last year and Pro-Bowl caliber this year. Bennett has looked really good, but how much is attributable to D-Rob's mentoring?

Marcus
12-16-2007, 01:38 PM
If we lose the guy it's going to hurt, and it' going to hurt bad.

I absolutely agree.

Bad coaches eventually get fired. Good coaches eventually move up. It won't be long before Hoke moves up.

ObsiWan
12-16-2007, 01:52 PM
Well, I'll stand to respectfuly disagree. Outside the o-line coach at Indy that got Tony Ugoh on line and up to NFL speed in six months, Hoke's preformance with this rag tag group of misfits and almost beens has been abolutly without question an outstanding coaching job. There is no way that we should of been in the game thursday night. He had his guys playing way over their heads. If we lose the guy it's going to hurt, and it' going to hurt bad.

Perhaps we should offer him Richard Smith's job....
...just a thought