PDA

View Full Version : Have you ever been more happy as a Texans fan?

TheRealJoker
12-14-2007, 10:55 PM
Than you are right now? .500 this close to the end of the season for the first time in history and still in the playoff hunt at this point in the season for the first time in franchise history.

I have to admit, that game last night was the most fun I had at any Texans game live (although admittedly I only go to 1 or 2 a year because im a broke college kid and I didn't attend the Cowboys game or the Colts game last year).

I am still giggling like a school girl after that beating we put on Denver!!!

If we beat the Colts next week I dont think i'll be able to contain myself...I just may explode with joy!!!

*insert hilarious references due to my sig*

Silver Oak
12-14-2007, 11:05 PM
considering the terrible injuries, divisional foes, and relatively new coaches, it's a small miracle this team is .500 in mid-December.

huge props to the coaching staff, front office, and the players for not quitting when it would have been very easy to do.

brakos82
12-14-2007, 11:07 PM
I dunno... 19-10 was better IMO.

adam
12-14-2007, 11:12 PM

Yeah. Also, the win over Indy on Christmas Eve was probably the happiest I've been as a fan. I was just ecstatic.

However, in regards to an entire season, I would say that this is the first season in which we've shown signs of progress. That's something to be happy about IMO.

Maddict5
12-14-2007, 11:14 PM
no

2-0 came close but now we're getting more performances aswell as results

TheRealJoker
12-15-2007, 01:06 AM
Considering what we've gone through this season to be .500 is a miracle. I thought we'd compete for a wildcard this season but in order to do that we had to be healthy...we haven't been healthy and we're STILL competing for a wildcard. This bodes well for our future, to know our team will continue fighting even when team leaders like Dunta and Mckinney go down as well as the guy that was supposed to be our star running back Ahman Green. Add in AJ missing almost half the season and the fact we're even competing each week is amazing.

We're leading the league in players on IR and we lead the league in giveaways, yet we are still holding our own in almost every game this season.

mancunian
12-15-2007, 03:26 AM
I'm pretty stoked at the moment, Dallas was special as was Indy last year. This game though was on prime time so the whole nation could see how good we are becoming.

Andrew6
12-15-2007, 03:29 AM
Considering what we've gone through this season to be .500 is a miracle. I thought we'd compete for a wildcard this season but in order to do that we had to be healthy...we haven't been healthy and we're STILL competing for a wildcard. This bodes well for our future, to know our team will continue fighting even when team leaders like Dunta and Mckinney go down as well as the guy that was supposed to be our star running back Ahman Green. Add in AJ missing almost half the season and the fact we're even competing each week is amazing.

We're leading the league in players on IR and we lead the league in giveaways, yet we are still holding our own in almost every game this season.

Hows that whole celebacy thing working out for you anyways.

beerlover
12-15-2007, 03:39 AM
I've never felt more positive going into a game @ Indy :wild: even put :money: on it :specnatz:

FirstTexansFan
12-15-2007, 04:37 AM
Hows that whole celebacy thing working out for you anyways.

I'd say he has a firm grip on it ;)

Showtime100
12-15-2007, 04:46 AM
Thursday night was truly a great night to be an H-Town Texan. It left me with the same feeling as a couple of other games in Houston NFL history.

In the late seventies, with the Oilers/Steelers rivalry in full hatred, Bum's boys against the Terrible Towel, we (I say we) went to Three Rivers on a Monday night and it was just one of those games. We needed a stop - Enter Robert Brazille, Greg Bingham, Ted, Elvin, Curley. We needed a new set of downs - Enter The Tyler Rose, with Tim Wilson clearing the needed yardage. OK, enough, you get the picture. Houston won 24-17 with a rock solid performance. Had to be. It was Monday night at Three Rivers.

The other game was Warren Moon and Co. IN Cincinnati against Sam Wyche and Boomer, two guys way high on my sports-hate list. It was a Sunday night game when TNT (I think) did them. Houston won 31-17 I believe. I was old enough to drink then so details aren't as plentiful.

As always I jogged/walked this morning with, as always, my Texans warm-up on and I still got looked at with disdain. Only this time I KNEW it was because I'm ugly!!! Man that was a great game to see.

:texflag: :texflag: :texflag:

JayCee
12-15-2007, 05:44 AM
I'm extremely happy.
I made the effort to download and watch the game before looking at the result. I've just finished watching the game now and loved every minute of it.

Really starting to like the character I'm seeing in this side.

I watched the game with my father who is staying the weekend at my place and he enjoyed it as well - he's mad on soccer and hasn't watched a football game before - but by the end he was shouting at the television along with me.

whiskeyrbl
12-15-2007, 07:26 AM
I'd say he has a firm grip on it ;)

LOL, Spit my Coffee out on that one

SheTexan
12-15-2007, 09:26 AM
I watched the game with my father who is staying the weekend at my place and he enjoyed it as well - he's mad on soccer and hasn't watched a football game before - but by the end he was shouting at the television along with me.

That's fantastic JayCee!! Before you know it, you and your Dad will be winging it over here to see our team in action. Bring him to Reliant and he'll never go back to soccer!! J/K BUT, once hooked on football, it's hard to get it out of your blood. Not really sure that's possible since I've been loving this game for over 55 yrs.

IlliniJen
12-15-2007, 09:36 AM
Yes, this is the happiest. While the Cowboys and Colts wins were great, they seemed to be isolated events. I'm happy NOW because I see things finally gelling on this team. I don't know if we've turned the proverbial corner, but I can see a trending towards success. This bodes well for next season.

edo783
12-15-2007, 09:43 AM
This was my first game to see them at Relient (caught them once in Denver) and I will say it was about as good of a game as I could possibly have asked for.

aj.
12-15-2007, 10:11 AM
...While the Cowboys and Colts wins were great, they seemed to be isolated events. I'm happy NOW because I see things finally gelling on this team. I don't know if we've turned the proverbial corner, but I can see a trending towards success. This bodes well for next season.

This is kind of where I'm at. Cautiously optimistic is probably a better term for me.

I can think of several what I'll call very satisfying wins but I think (at least I hope) what we're seeing now is a function of a team really coming together under its coaching staff, system, and environment.

The win over the Cowboys in '02 was great because it was such an insane thought that this team could win its first game ever on national tv.

Winning at Miami in the opener of '03 created great optimism, but alas it was short lived and fools gold.

Beating the Panthers and taking the Pats to OT in '03 (the two Super Bowl teams) also fooled most of us into believing we were headed in the right general direction at least.

Starting out 4-3 in '04 led to more optimism but that was also fools gold. The sweep of the Titans and Jags that year were very satisfying wins, but you sensed something wasn't right on the team because of the slide that started at Denver (after Kris Brown's missed FG in the 1st quarter), the sniping comments by Sharper and others starting to leak out of the locker room, the Cleveland debacle on Fan Appreciation Day (and the first article that I ever wrote that houstontexans.com refused to publish). Of course those bad vibes were brought to reality when we found out that they threw away the playbook on the eve of the season opener at Buffalo in '05.

If the Texans split their next two and finish 8-8, I think it's real gold - or at least gold plated. If they shock the world and win both, it's a gold mine.

If they lose close and competitive games the next two weeks, then I'm ok with the 7-9 and will feel optimistic for next season considering the injury challenges this year.

If they lay an egg in their next two, then the Denver game may have been no more than just another random happy event.

dalemurphy
12-15-2007, 10:13 AM
There are so many things to be happy with right now. However, the most exciting thing to me is that we have an excellent organization that has a plan that clearly is starting to work. There is so many reasons to trust Smith and Kubiak. I'm ready to commit to these guys for the next decade and that's not hyperbole... I'll say the same thing if we finish with two losses. Kubiak has been with the Texans for about 22 months and Smith for about 18. Remember where this team was at 2 years ago?

Ole Miss Texan
12-15-2007, 10:23 AM
I'm so happy after the Tampa Bay and Denver game. I think because the Denver game was so close, yet we were playing so well the whole game, and then ending the way we did- makes it all the sweeter. add to that Mario played his heart out!

I remember as I was watching it, giddy as a schoolgirl, that I noticed the players play with a pizazz, a passion, and were really out there having fun.

Brandon Marshall laughing when that ref fell down right before the snap, Andre Johnson not going down and getting an extra 7 yards- getting up with authority and pulling his shirt "Texans"!! Andre played like he wanted to own this game. Freddie B. trying to get the crowd into it, i love how confident he is, he doesnt act like a rookie.

The biggest thing I could really want to change was that we aren't 0-4 in our division. I wish we weren't swept by the Titans. But I love being 7-7!!!

aj.
12-15-2007, 10:35 AM
In the context of this season and the hole this team had to crawl from, 7-7 is satisfying. Seeing the Texans logo "in the hunt" in December is great. But playoffs is always the goal and anything less than that in '08 will be a disappointment to me - just like how I felt that anything less than 8-8 (with no injuries) would be a disappointment this year. I want my team in the playoffs and I can only hope these little happy steps we see from time to time will soon lead us to a full blown run.

nunusguy
12-15-2007, 11:01 AM
I'm very pleased with the Texans season, and will be even if they finish with a
7-9 record, which is entirely possible though we've got a descent shot at 8-8.
Finishing at .500 with our best record ever would be valuable symbolism and
momentum for the future.
I was very critical of Kubiak earlier in the year, but the D-Rob season-ending
injury was the final straw, so to speak, that left me with the belief that Kubiak really needs a pass on this season due to the staggering number of injuries to many of his best players. And yet despite those injuries and little incentive realistic speaking for the playoffs, Kubiak has the team competing at a high-level.
He and his staff have done a tremendous job IMO. Congrats coach Kubiak !

axman40
12-15-2007, 11:04 AM
The Texans leads the league with people on IR and turnovers.
Yet somehow The Texans are 7-7 with a mathematical shot at the playoffs.This year 2ND and 3RD string players are adding depth to the team and learning They can win without all the starters!
Yes I am pretty hyped for the 08 season ! I still want to check the strength and conditioning coaches. Address Oline,Outside LB ,Running back and Secondary concerns.
:fans:

Honoring Earl 34
12-15-2007, 11:21 AM
I think that even though they probably can't make the playoffs , they are playing for history . This team has never been 500 and it's well within their reach .

Will it be easy , heck no the Colts and Jags are good teams . So if the go 9-7 or 8-8 it'll be that much sweeter .

TEXANRED
12-15-2007, 11:30 AM
I am happy with the Texans progress, it was a rocky middle of the season but they have hung in there.

The best thing to come out of all of this is that with the Texans playing hard and looking like a real football team it should make it easier to attract decent FA without taking out a second loan on Reliant stadium.

beerlover
12-15-2007, 11:55 AM
you (voice of reason) are killing my buzz :beerfunnel:

can't we just enjoy the afterglow of a mesmerizing dismantling of the motherland (Denver Bronco) ship (Kubiak mentor- Shanahan) :confused:

nobody expects us to beat Indy @ home (except me I guess) but if the Texans prove themselves worthy to still be competing for a playoff spot come the following Sunday, my guess is bandwagoners will be jumping on the ship for the Jaguar game faster than Mario Williams off of Vince Young/Reggie Bush :cool:

Double Barrel
12-15-2007, 02:40 PM
Yes, this is the happiest. While the Cowboys and Colts wins were great, they seemed to be isolated events. I'm happy NOW because I see things finally gelling on this team. I don't know if we've turned the proverbial corner, but I can see a trending towards success. This bodes well for next season.

This pretty much sums up my feelings, as well.

We are seeing a team that is believing in itself and buying into the head coach and the system. They are overcoming injuries with players stepping off of the bench, which is a sign if heart. They are overcoming stupid mistakes, a sign that our young players recognize their weaknesses and are maturing. We are seeing leaders develop in AJ, DeMeco, and Mario.

And how about Mario!! All the flak we took as Texans fans the past two seasons is now paying off! He's showing the country that his potential is being realized, and I can't wait to see our line a year from now as these guys form the nucleus of a dominating defense.

We actually have depth at WR, with Walter and Davis both showing that they are viable no. 2 WRs. Owen Daniels looks like the making of a solid TE, and once he consitently holds on to the ball, a TE like him is a serious threat. And our QBs...what can I say, I believe in both of them!

We've got a lot of glaring weaknesses, but we've known that all along this season. But I am impressed that these guys never quit trying, never give in to a defeatist attitude, and it's showing. That's all I can ask as a fan, that we have guys who fight for every yard and who shrug off mistakes only to excel because of them. I actually have hope restored for our future, which is not something I've felt many times in the past 6 seasons.

:texflag:

Texanmike02
12-15-2007, 03:15 PM
I have to admit, that game last night was the most fun I had at any Texans game live (although admittedly I only go to 1 or 2 a year because im a broke college kid and I didn't attend the Cowboys game or the Colts game last year).

At least you won't have to spend money chasing ladies this off season. You should be able to save up money and go to an extra game or two!!!.

Mike

BattleRedToro
12-15-2007, 03:21 PM
At least you won't have to spend money chasing ladies this off season. You should be able to save up money and go to an extra game or two!!!.

Mike

You could also consider buying a book on grammar.

Kaiser Toro
12-15-2007, 03:31 PM
I am very happy due to results, growth at the individual, unit and team level, player personnel management and cap management. What is not to like at the moment and for next year's possibilities? :texflag:

AnthonyE
12-15-2007, 03:50 PM
I've never been this happy in an entire season.

However, I was happier directly after the 19-10 and the Christmas Eve game.

HJam72
12-15-2007, 03:57 PM
I have a dream:

It's called "Our 'backup QB' throws 5 TDs in Indianapolis to outscore Peyton Manning, who is more concerned about the Mario Williams-like growth around his waist."

Headlines: Top 5 QBs in the NFL include the Texans' backup. :) :user:

Imatexanfan
12-15-2007, 04:08 PM
Well the game was one of the games I thought we could win so I can't say I was too suprised. I was just a little suprised at how well we were able to beat them. :cowboy1:

Its one thing to know what a team is going to do - you still have to go out there and stop them. It was obvious what the big change was on defense - we went with more man coverage - and WOW what a difference it made.

Regardless of what the record is at the end of the season - I think they can win both games for the record - anyone that can't see the progress this team has made is acting naive and stubborn.:shades:

Another solid draft and free agency and we'll be much more improved - and of course there are those people we have on IR - Charles Spencer and Chris Taylor.

As for Mario - you could see the progress from last year before this game - he sure picked the right time for his best game so far.

The future looks bright for our D. :d:

DiehardChris
12-15-2007, 04:47 PM
#1 for me will always be 19-10 until we make the playoffs. That was just a great, great night in the history of Houston sports.

Maybe it's because it's still so close, but right now Mario having his name chanted by the fans and him having that great game to stick it all up his critics' collective *sses is #2.

austintexanite
12-15-2007, 10:43 PM

I think beating the Cowboys is 1b and the record that we have right now is 1a. Honestly, I am extremely happy that we are finally getting some respect around the league. Not just from our division, but the NFL has been on notice after the performance on Thursday. Last night I feel asleep to sports radio, and Chris Mortenson was giving us a lot of praise and telling everyone to watch out for us next year because how well we have played despite leading the NFL in IR players. He also gave a lot of credit to Mario for playing so well and being a true professional. Just felt great.

corytx8
12-16-2007, 09:15 AM
After following the Texans this season. This season is different from the seasons in the past. This group here is sucking it up and playing some good *** football all season. There was like only 3 games this year we were blown out beyond our reach. But every other game, we won or were oh so close. But everyone has to remember, we played most of this season with the IR full. AJ was out a good part of the season which didn't help the offense, Matt being on and off the field didn't help much either. But I have to say, we had a hellva season with the holes we had. Just think, if we would have taken those two titans game, look where we would have been.

I like where we are right now. I sold on Coach K, hes my guy.

Thorn
12-16-2007, 10:00 AM
The Texans can no longer be taken lightly. We have moved from the bottom of the NFL to the middle range of teams. I am very pleased.

The next step, though, will be much harder. I'm looking forward to it.

aj.
12-16-2007, 10:30 AM
I'm going to wait until the 2007 season is over to state how I feel about the 2007 season. There are good signs, yes, but going 0-6 in the Division would be a huge disappointment even in the context of all the injuries. You can say that's a testament to the almighty AFC South, but the Titans were very beatable (both times) and will officially be in free fall if they lose again today.

ensign_lee
12-16-2007, 10:42 AM
It was a cool game, but not happiest ever.

After the Indy game last year I was ridiculously happy. And when we started 2-0 (and had in essence won the last 5 important games at home including the Cowboys preseason game and the Indy and Cleveland games the year prior), I was really happy.

That's not to say now doesn't feel good either. It does. I just can't say that I'm the happiest ever. :D