PDA

View Full Version : Playoffs

shawn76ers
12-14-2007, 01:27 PM
So what has to happen for us to make the playoffs??
i know its a long shot, but just curious..

Speedy
12-14-2007, 02:25 PM
Root for the BUFFALO BILLS Sunday for starters.

Houston has to win out, Cleveland has to lose out, meaning Buffalo needs to beat Cleveland Sunday, then Buffalo needs to lose their last 2, and Tennessee will have to lose 2 of their last 3.

All of that shouldn't be a problem, right?

hookinreds
12-14-2007, 02:31 PM

Houston has to win out, Cleveland has to lose out, meaning Buffalo needs to beat Cleveland Sunday, then Buffalo needs to lose their last 2, and Tennessee will have to lose 2 of their last 3.

Piece of cake!

Line_Producer
12-14-2007, 02:35 PM
Step 1: Beat Broncos
Step 2: ????
Step 3: Profit!

gtexan02
12-14-2007, 02:57 PM
no jim mora quote yet?

Brandon420tx
12-14-2007, 03:06 PM
no jim mora quote yet?

Please don't. We have won a game.

Texans Horror
12-14-2007, 03:10 PM
Texans are definitely on the outside looking in, so I don't expect it to go anywhere.

But it's nice that here it is December and there is talk of play-offs, and it's not just fans overreacting.

LonerATO
12-14-2007, 03:11 PM
jim mora never gets old

12-14-2007, 03:57 PM
Step 1: Beat Broncos
Step 2: ????
Step 3: Profit!

hahaha, classic reference.

Mr. White
12-14-2007, 04:10 PM
I'm just glad that it's December and the Texans are being mentioned as a possibility for the playoffs. However remote it may be.

Does anybody know wher to find an mp3 of the Mora quote? One of my all-time favorite tirades.

Double Barrel
12-14-2007, 04:19 PM

I thought the Titans had to lose all three for us to have a shot? They obviously own the tie-breaker between our teams, so we need to have at least one more win than they do.

I think Cleveland and JAX need to lose out, as well, while we win our last two. Something like that.

The Pencil Neck
12-14-2007, 04:34 PM
I thought the Titans had to lose all three for us to have a shot? They obviously own the tie-breaker between our teams, so we need to have at least one more win than they do.

I think Cleveland and JAX need to lose out, as well, while we win our last two. Something like that.

Why should JAX matter? We can't get more than a tie with them and they own the tie-breakers. It's all about the fight for the last spot. Right now, that's the Browns. They have to lose out.

If the Titans go 1-2, then they end up 8-8 and we end up 9-7.

4Texans
12-14-2007, 04:59 PM
Yes, it's a long shot, but it's great to be able to mention it with only 2 games left in the season. We're making progress as an organization.:fans:

Double Barrel
12-14-2007, 05:03 PM
Why should JAX matter? We can't get more than a tie with them and they own the tie-breakers. It's all about the fight for the last spot. Right now, that's the Browns. They have to lose out.

If the Titans go 1-2, then they end up 8-8 and we end up 9-7.

I was thinking of the Bills but types Jags. Thanks for the correction.

The Browns are 8-5, so yeah, they have to lose out. They win even one out of the next three and we can't overcome them, since they beat us head-to-head.

The Titans and Bills are both 7 win teams, so we need both to lose 2 games over the next three weekends. Not sure how we fare if we are tied for the sixth seed with the Bills. That might be a division record tiebreaker, too.

The Pencil Neck
12-14-2007, 05:28 PM
I was thinking of the Bills but types Jags. Thanks for the correction.

The Browns are 8-5, so yeah, they have to lose out. They win even one out of the next three and we can't overcome them, since they beat us head-to-head.

The Titans and Bills are both 7 win teams, so we need both to lose 2 games over the next three weekends. Not sure how we fare if we are tied for the sixth seed with the Bills. That might be a division record tiebreaker, too.

I think it's conference record.

Joe Texan
12-14-2007, 06:30 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qwq7BYOnDrM

DerekLee1
12-14-2007, 06:36 PM
Man, how much of a difference does that Kerry Collins to Roydell Williams make now? Pity.

Dread-Head
12-14-2007, 06:39 PM
no jim mora quote yet?

:backsout:

adam
12-14-2007, 07:10 PM
A miracle. That's exactly what needs to happen.

brakos82
12-14-2007, 07:24 PM
Luck be a lady (or the entire Texans D). :shades:

AnthonyE
12-14-2007, 07:59 PM
A miracle. That's exactly what needs to happen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QTev5pSuYLk

threetoedpete
12-14-2007, 08:15 PM

I think you just about summed up the sitution DB. Possible, not probable. That dough nut with in the division is killing them.

brakos82
12-14-2007, 08:58 PM
I think you just about summed up the sitution DB. Possible, not probable. That dough nut with in the division is killing them.

We need a couple maple bars then.

Maddict5
12-14-2007, 09:08 PM
Man, how much of a difference does that Kerry Collins to Roydell Williams make now? Pity.

beating the colts and jags isnt exactly a gimme though

titans and falcons are the games we'll regret come the end of december

Kaiser Toro
12-14-2007, 09:08 PM
TO BREAK A TIE FOR THE WILD-CARD TEAM OR AMONG DIVISION WINNERS
If it is necessary to break ties to determine the two Wild-Card clubs from each conference, the following steps will be taken.
1. If the tied clubs are from the same division, apply division tie breaker.
2. If the tied clubs are from different divisions, apply the following steps.

Two Clubs
1. Head-to-head, if applicable.
2. Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the conference.
3. Best won-lost-tied percentage in common games, minimum of four.
4. Strength of victory.
5. Strength of schedule.
6. Best combined ranking among conference teams in points scored and points allowed.
7. Best combined ranking among all teams in points scored and points allowed.
8. Best net points in conference games.
9. Best net points in all games.
10. Best net touchdowns in all games.
11. Coin toss.

Three or More Clubs
(Note: If two clubs remain tied after third or other clubs are eliminated, tie breaker reverts to step 1 of applicable two-club format.)
1. Apply division tie breaker to eliminate all but the highest ranked club in each division prior to proceeding to step 2. The original seeding within a division upon application of the division tie breaker remains the same for all subsequent applications of the procedure that are necessary to identify the two Wild-Card participants.
2. Head-to-head sweep. (Applicable only if one club has defeated each of the others or if one club has lost to each of the others.)
3. Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the conference.
4. Best won-lost-tied percentage in common games, minimum of four.
5. Strength of victory.
6. Strength of schedule.
7. Best combined ranking among conference teams in points scored and points allowed.
8. Best combined ranking among all teams in points scored and points allowed.
9. Best net points in conference games.
10. Best net points in all games.
11. Best net touchdowns in all games.
12. Coin toss

http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/standings/playoffrace/tiebreakers-explanation

We need the Browns, the Jags and the Titans to lose this weekend.

Speedy
12-14-2007, 11:24 PM
I think it's conference record.

It is conference record, and with a Bills win over Cleveland, that gives them 7 conference wins. The best the Texans can do is 6. So Buffalo HAS to beat Cleveland because one Browns win and we're out. Then Buffalo would need to lose their last 2, to finish 8-8.

The Texans are in bad shape in the tiebreakers, head to head with Cleveland and Tennessee, and conference with Buffalo.

I don't believe it matters much what J-ville does, other than losing to the Texans, because if the Jags lose out and finish 9-7, the above scenario for the Texans still has to play out for the Texans to be in it.

Should the scenario play out for the Texans to get in, and the Jags lose out to finish tied with the Texans at 9-7, both would get the 2 WC spots. The Texans just can't be tied with any other team, or they're toast with tiebreakers.

Speedy
12-14-2007, 11:32 PM
Should the scenario play out for the Texans to get in, and the Jags lose out to finish tied with the Texans at 9-7, both would get the 2 WC spots.

And J-ville would get the 5 seed based on record vs. common opponents.

brakos82
12-14-2007, 11:37 PM
And J-ville would get the 5 seed based on record vs. common opponents.

Don't think anybody cares right now... :bat: 6 is all we want...

brakos82
12-14-2007, 11:38 PM
Still getting used to this quick-reply thing...

ATX
12-15-2007, 12:43 AM
Texans must go 2-0

Titans must go 1-2 or worse

Cleveland must go 0-3

Bills must go 1-2, including beating the Browns

Then we're in with the Jags

If we were to get in, I believe we would probably play the Steelers in game 1, then probably the Patriots in game 2(16-1 sucks for the Pats), and then I predict we would play the Colts for the NFC Championship. Of course after we beat all of them, we'd hopefully play the Cowboys in the Super Bowl. After our glorious Super Bowl triumph over the Girls(Jerry on the sideline and all), Texans across the State would soon turn into Texans fans. Am I getting carried away yet? :homer:

Tom Brady and Tony Romo are scared to death that they might have to face the Beast known as Mario Williams. :homer:

2007-2008 Super Bowl Champions, the greatest and most unbelievable story in the history of Football. :homer:

brakos82
12-15-2007, 12:45 AM
i thin ky oue have be ne driekien moer ehthe ar I hr ave. socign.

Andrew6
12-15-2007, 12:45 AM
Texans must go 2-0

Cleveland must go 0-3

If we were to get in, I believe we would probably play the Steelers in game 1, then probably the Patriots in game 2(16-1 sucks for the Pats), and then I predict we would play the Colts for the NFC Championship. Of course after we beat all of them, we'd hopefully play the Cowboys in the Super Bowl. After our glorious Super Bowl triumph over the Girls(Jerry on the sideline and all), Texans across the State would soon turn into Texans fans. Am I getting carried away yet? :homer:

Tom Brady and Tony Romo are scared to death that they might have to face the Beast known as Mario Williams. :homer:

2007-2008 Super Bowl Champions, the greatest and most unbelievable story in the history of Football. :homer:

WOW I love the way you think. :splits:

Andrew6
12-15-2007, 12:46 AM
I'd give you reps for that atxcoolguy but says I've got to spread it around some more.

ATX
12-15-2007, 12:51 AM
It just sucks beating the Jags at the end of the year won't knock them out too. That's the only better scenario I can think of. :homer:

brakos82
12-15-2007, 12:51 AM
it asjie me ahwat i watnted to reptort wehne ia reitered to erep yo u so ri didn t.

Andrew6
12-15-2007, 12:52 AM
it asjie me ahwat i watnted to reptort wehne ia reitered to erep yo u so ri didn t.

ok I think you said you gave him rep since I was unable, right?

brakos82
12-15-2007, 12:56 AM
no it wanted met o fila reptort shtet thi nag .

edo783
12-15-2007, 10:06 AM
no it wanted met o fila reptort shtet thi nag .

Based on your posts last night....your REALLY going to be a hurting unit this morning.

mancunian
12-15-2007, 10:29 AM

thanks for that mate. Pretty clear. We have the Bills v Browns this week here on TV in the UK

mancunian
12-15-2007, 10:33 AM
Texans must go 2-0

Cleveland must go 0-3

Now that would be brilliant - and would make a great film.....

pappy
12-15-2007, 08:23 PM
Now that would be brilliant - and would make a great film.....

And if they go to make that movie i want to invest my meager savings into it cause thats going to be one heck of a show .

corytx8
12-16-2007, 09:28 AM
Texans must go 2-0

Cleveland must go 0-3

Boy, I can only hope.

Can you say, San Diego Chargers surprised super bowl run about 12 to 14 seasons ago which was cut short with a super bowl lost to the cowboys.

corytx8
12-16-2007, 09:59 AM
Remaining schedules for wild card contenders looks to be

Texans
Week 15 vs Colts
Week 16 vs. Jags

Browns
Week 14 vs Bills
Week 15 vs Begals
Week 16 vs. 49ers

Bills
Week 14 vs. Browns
Week 15 vs Giants
Week 16 vs. Eagles

Titans
Week 14 vs Chiefs
Week 15 vs Jets
Week 16 vs. Colts

I hopeful that the bills can put together a solid win tomorrow. I hopeful for the Chiefs to put together a solid game against the titans.

utahmark
12-16-2007, 11:48 AM
are you guys forgetting about the jags. i cant quite figure out the tie breaker between us and them but if they lose out, they have to play pitt this week the oak then us, we would be tied with them in conf/div/head to head, the next tie breaker is something called stength of victory then strength of scheadule. now im not sure about strength of victory but if we beat indy maybe we could have an advantage on them in this.

maybe we would be better off if clevland beats buffalo?

http://www.playoffstatus.com/nfl/texanseliminate.html if you look at this the only way we are eliminated from the playoffs is if both clev and jacks win. so i think we still can get in over jacksonville. one problem, they play oak next week.

Maddict5
12-16-2007, 12:03 PM
are you guys forgetting about the jags. i cant quite figure out the tie breaker between us and them but if they lose out, they have to play pitt this week the oak then us, we would be tied with them in conf/div/head to head, the next tie breaker is something called stength of victory then strength of scheadule. now im not sure about strength of victory but if we beat indy maybe we could have an advantage on them in this.

http://www.playoffstatus.com/nfl/texanseliminate.html if you look at this the only way we are eliminated from the playoffs is if both clev and jacks win. so i think we still can get in over jacksonville. one problem, they play oak next week.

holy crap thanks... i thought the jags were home and hosed.. but if they lose to PITT(quite possible) and oakland (any given sunday) and we beat the colts... that would set up a last week battle red PRIMETIME showdown!!

utahmark
12-16-2007, 12:11 PM
im still trying to figure it out. this is mostly just from looking at the rules and standings. one thing though we would also need buff and tenn to lose a couple otherwise we are in a multi team tie, im having a hard enough time with a head to head tie so i cant even begin with that.

Ole Miss Texan
12-16-2007, 12:15 PM
Texans must go 2-0

Cleveland must go 0-3

Other than us and the Colts playing in the NFC Championship game...I think your spot on! Git-er-done. :shades:

Maddict5
12-16-2007, 12:22 PM
im still trying to figure it out. this is mostly just from looking at the rules and standings. one thing though we would also need buff and tenn to lose a couple otherwise we are in a multi team tie, im having a hard enough time with a head to head tie so i cant even begin with that.

we're terrible head-to-head

lets say we (texans,titans,cle,bills,jax) all finish 9-7-the bills beat cle today

the jags are the only ones we have a chance at due to SOS
tits,cle have head to head TB's over us
buf has conf record over us

if buf loses today and go 9-7... that would go to SOS too

The Pencil Neck
12-16-2007, 12:40 PM

Well, I had been discounting Jax. But, you're right. If they lose out and we win out, then I believe the tie-breaker comes down to head-to-head. So we would have to beat them by more than they beat us. We would have to beat them by more than 20.

That would be a great way to get into the playoffs.

Maddict5
12-16-2007, 01:01 PM
Well, I had been discounting Jax. But, you're right. If they lose out and we win out, then I believe the tie-breaker comes down to head-to-head. So we would have to beat them by more than they beat us. We would have to beat them by more than 20.

That would be a great way to get into the playoffs.

i dont think it works that way.. it just says 1-1 head tot head and goes to SOS

Andrew6
12-16-2007, 04:32 PM
Playoff talk for this year has ended with buffalo's loss to Cleveland. :(

brakos82
12-16-2007, 04:37 PM
:locked: :locked: :locked: :locked: :locked: :locked: