PDA

View Full Version : Apology #1 from Vic Carruci:

gtexan02
12-13-2007, 10:32 PM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d8050c737&template=with-video&confirm=true&campaign=ec0005

This was BEFORE his 4 sack performance tonight

Many of us, including yours truly, were quick to criticize the Texans for making Williams the top overall pick of the 2006 draft. More to the point, we ripped them for not taking Reggie Bush or, at the very least, hometown product Vince Young.

Our collective thought was this: What were they thinking?

As talented a defensive end as Williams had been at North Carolina State, how could the Texans have concluded they would be better off with him rather than Bush, who had been such an ultra-dynamic force as a running back at USC? Or, for that matter, why not go for Young, who made enough plays with his arm and feet to help Texas win the national championship?

What exactly did they see in Williams that could have possibly overshadowed the playmaking skills that were seemingly so obvious to everyone else?

The rest of us are finding out.

After the Texans passed on Bush, the consensus No. 1 choice in '06, the New Orleans Saints grabbed him with the second pick while Young joined Tennessee in the third spot.

Stephen Dunn / Getty Images
Mario Williams stuffs a Reggie Bush run during the Texans' win over the Saints in Week 11.

Game Center: Texans 23, Saints 10

Bush and Young had splashier rookie seasons than Williams, who was bothered by a foot injury and finished with only 4 sacks.

This year, the tables have turned.

MEGA SWATT
12-13-2007, 11:28 PM
mario is king

Hooston Texan
12-13-2007, 11:37 PM
Maybe these self-appointed experts should know that a great pass-rusher is more valuable to a team than a great third-down back.

Though, as one who predicted after their last college game that LenDale White would be a more productive NFL back than Bush, even I am surprised at Reggie's dud performance this season.

GP
12-14-2007, 12:51 AM
Mario was, again, looking very creative with his moves tonight.

He looked in control of himself, able to slow down and make adjustments on the QB...whereas last year he was over-running the play.

He might not admit it, but I really think the lack of production by Bush and Young thus far has helped him break out of the funk. I think he knows, now, that he was rightfully selected by the right team...for the right purpose.

Mario is growing up. Big time.

sakebomb
12-14-2007, 08:20 AM
Williams also dropped into coverage to scuttle a screen pass intended for Bush, who wound up with 104 yards on 27 touches.

He still dropped the "touches" reference for Bush so he wouldn't look that bad.

mancunian
12-14-2007, 10:30 AM
I have just been watching the highlights....Mario was great last night. But hey all 3 phases of the team played well.