PDA

View Full Version : Texans Player Cited For Pit Bulls

MightyTExan
12-11-2007, 09:54 PM
http://www.click2houston.com/news/14826379/detail.html
HOUSTON -- A Houston Texans player was ticketed for allowing his pit bulls to escape his Brazoria County property, KPRC Local 2 reported Tuesday.

Jerome Mathis, 24, is a wide receiver for the Texans.

Investigators said four pit bulls got loose from Mathis' property through a hole in the fence and ran next door to the Cobblestone Park Apartments in the 3800 block of CR 94 in Manvel on Saturday at 8 a.m.

:gun:

Andrew6
12-11-2007, 09:56 PM
http://www.click2houston.com/news/14826379/detail.html
HOUSTON -- A Houston Texans player was ticketed for allowing his pit bulls to escape his Brazoria County property, KPRC Local 2 reported Tuesday.

Jerome Mathis, 24, is a wide receiver for the Texans.

Investigators said four pit bulls got loose from Mathis' property through a hole in the fence and ran next door to the Cobblestone Park Apartments in the 3800 block of CR 94 in Manvel on Saturday at 8 a.m.

:gun:

THey should say that Jerome Mathis plays for the Houston Texans Injuired Reserve.

adam
12-11-2007, 10:04 PM
To say that Mathis plays is a little inaccurate IMO.

Specnatz
12-11-2007, 11:33 PM
Can you say good bye sucker?

TexansLucky13
12-11-2007, 11:35 PM
We had a huge discussion about him earlier today. He better clean up his act if he wants to don the Texans uni next season.

YellerLotYeller
12-11-2007, 11:50 PM
We had a huge discussion about him earlier today. He better clean up his act if he wants to don the Texans uni next season.

True that....I know he spent a lil time at Pearland PD's finest jail cell a couple months ago for unpaid tickets.

infantrycak
12-11-2007, 11:54 PM
True that....I know he spent a lil time at Pearland PD's finest jail cell a couple months ago for unpaid tickets.

Really?--dude making 300k can't pay a few tickets? Dubious.

Ole Miss Texan
12-12-2007, 12:00 AM
If the leash don't fit, you must aquit.

Mathis needs to be gone. I don't care how good of a KR he is, he's been sitting on IR for the past 2 years...

(but you do realize the minute we get rid of him, he will be completely healthy and be a phenominal KR...that sux but he needs to go)

bah007
12-12-2007, 12:50 AM

Mathis needs to be gone. I don't care how good of a KR he is, he's been sitting on IR for the past 2 years...

(but you do realize the minute we get rid of him, he will be completely healthy and be a phenominal KR...that sux but he needs to go)

JJ Moses?

Carr Bombed
12-12-2007, 01:15 AM

He better clean up his act if he wants to don the Texans uni next season.

Overreact much?

The guy's dogs got loose.....whoopty freaking do. Who here is a dog owner that never had a dog get loose. I have two of them and they've gotten out on more than one occasion......it happens.

DiehardChris
12-12-2007, 03:02 AM
Overreact much?

The guy's dogs got loose.....whoopty freaking do. Who here is a dog owner that never had a dog get loose. I have two of them and they've gotten out on more than one occasion......it happens.

Yeah, what he said. All that story really says is that Jerome Mathis owns pit bulls. Media hype.

EDIT - LOL, I didn't scroll down far enough.

Yeah, um - Jerome needs to make sure that those dogs don't get out if they are such aggressive pit bulls. That could have turned out a lot worse... but clearly people are just going to think 'dogfighting' even though it has nothing to do with that. He didn't do anything wrong, except he didn't fortify his fence enough.

Texan_Bill
12-12-2007, 08:11 AM
Overreact much?

YUP... Gotta agree with you!!!

But everyone else is also correct in saying he needs to be gone next year. If anyone on this board stole $300,000.00+ for two years in a row, we'd be in the pokey so fast, it would make our heads spin...

dalemurphy
12-12-2007, 08:17 AM
Overreact much?

who here owns 4 pit bulls? If for some unknown reason I did own 4 pit bulls, I think I would take extreme measures to make sure they didn't get out.

I have a mut. She gets out sometimes. However, she is unwilling and unable to hurt anyone. So, I don't think your point is a good one.

threetoedpete
12-12-2007, 08:20 AM

Yeah this might just be the prevebial straw that broke the camels back. There's stupid and then there is stupid. Break your rice bowl over a dog ? goodness what are you thinking Jerome ? He's had what four months to unload the dog(s) ?

TEXANS84
12-12-2007, 08:27 AM
Over media hype.

Pit bull --- NFL player

If you watch the video, only one dog is full size...you can see the puppies playing in the backyard harmless.

Gimme a break. This happens all the time. It just so happens to fall in the Vick era, and NBC is trying to capitalize on something that's not there. We all know what they are implying, even if they are not saying it.

Ole Miss Texan
12-12-2007, 09:36 AM
Not everyone that has pit bulls are fighting them, but there is a sense of getting pit bulls for that reason. They are good fighters, and there's nothing more macho than owning a mean dog- "it makes the owner look tough". that's a lot of the mentality I get.

I don't think for a second he's actually fighting them, but it's different when a pit bulls runs free vs. your darn cocker spaniel that gets out. pit bulls are very aggressive and really will harm a child if they approach them. Other dogs not so much...that's where it gets stupid.

I just don't see why people would even want to own a pit bull.

ATX
12-12-2007, 09:45 AM
I think Pit bulls are some of the ugliest dogs in the world. Never wanted one and never will.

Joe Texan
12-12-2007, 09:46 AM
Who is Mathis,

We have Andre Davis

HoustonFrog
12-12-2007, 09:52 AM
Jerome Mathis..so fast his hamstrings stopped working.

threetoedpete
12-12-2007, 09:56 AM
Over media hype.

Pit bull --- NFL player

If you watch the video, only one dog is full size...you can see the puppies playing in the backyard harmless.

Gimme a break. This happens all the time. It just so happens to fall in the Vick era, and NBC is trying to capitalize on something that's not there. We all know what they are implying, even if they are not saying it.

Yes and life isn't fair and there is no easter bunny...but some times perception becomes reality. Knee jerk or not...how these players preform off the feild is just as valuable as how they preform on it. And for what Mr. McNair is paying them, he should demand the standard. Now what you say is true. It's also true that this has put the Texans in a bad light. Up to you to figure out what degree of reality we have here. It was a bad decidsion regaurdless of whether he had them kept properly kenneled. He should of gotten rid of the dogs.

threetoedpete
12-12-2007, 10:10 AM
I get what you mean Old Miss. But I've seen some mean Cocker Spaniels in my time. I never could figure out how parents could couple two of the most nervous breed of dogs, cocker spaniels and Dalmations with small childern, toddlers. There's stupid and then there is stupid. The dogs are nervous and hyper. The kids pull at the dog. They will be bit. I guess they want to toughen them up a bit ?

bigbrewster2000
12-12-2007, 10:17 AM
who here owns 4 pit bulls? If for some unknown reason I did own 4 pit bulls, I think I would take extreme measures to make sure they didn't get out.

I have a mut. She gets out sometimes. However, he is unwilling and unable to hurt anyone. So, I don't think your point is a good one.
I don't own 4 I own 1. He is harmless but he looks very intimidating because he is so stout. The media hypes anything Pitbull and it is a bunch of bull crap. I want to know what that dog was actually doing to be considered aggressive behavior. If the dog was just jumping around or something then that is probably playing. I could understand barking or growling, but I would bet if the dog were doing that then the cop would have said so, which he didnt.

My dog has gotten loose one time because he bolted when I opened the front door and guess what nothing happened. If you were not ignorant of the breed or if you actually owned a pit bull you would know that you didnt have to take extra special measures to keep it away from people. WHen I was walking my dog just a few days ago there was a loose pitbull outside and he was very friendly. I never felt threatened and he actually wanted to play with my dog. I petted him and everything.

Any dog can be dangerous, the media just seems to go after the pitbull breed and it is unjustified. Pitbull attacks are less than 10% of the total reported dog attacks every year and that is even with throwing in 3 breeds( American Staffordshire Terrier, Bull Terrier, American Pitbull Terrier) into that category and not to mention mutts that resemble pitbulls.

Now should Jerome Mathis be careful to make sure that his dogs dont get loose? Yes he should but not any more than any other dog owner.

Brandon420tx
12-12-2007, 10:38 AM
Every 20 seconds, someone gets bitten by a dog. Hell just yesterday I got bitten by my neighbors mini-doberman who I play with all the time. It wasn't viscious, it didn't chomp down on my wrist, it just put its teeth around it while it was swing its head around.
Domesticated dogs are not naturally mean and agressive, they can be conditioned to be. Pit bulls get a very bad wrap because they are one of the few dogs powerful enough to do serious damage in the event of a bite, because of that fact, a few owners condition them to be aggressive for A.) protecting their home and property, B.) They're just abusive to their dogs, C.) Money from dogfighting. You also have to take into account strays that fear people and have to look after themselves.

You are more likely to be bit by a Poodle then a Pit Bull. As stated earlier, hyper and nervous dogs are more likely to bite you without warning.

Heres some dog tips. How to earn a dogs trust
The first time you meet a dog wait for it to come to you before you try to pet/play with it. This will happen more frequently with younger dogs because they are curious and want to play.
Older dogs won't approach you as often or quickly unless A.) they're really used to strangers B.)Their owner is really nice and they don't fear people. C.) You have food D.) They have a really bad itch that they JUUUST can't reach.
If an older dog approaches you but stays a few feet away while staring at you. DO NOT approach it. You can stick your hand out a little bit to indicate you want to pet it, but do don't rush that dog. That dog is sizing you up, determining whether or not to be afraid of you, and approaching it prematurely can result in 1.) It runs away from you 2.) It cowers but lets you approach 3.) It will Growl/Bark/Snap its jaws.

2 and 3 have a high risk of you getting bit, so don't take the chance if you want to interact with the dog. Just leave it alone.

dalemurphy
12-12-2007, 10:42 AM
I don't own 4 I own 1. He is harmless but he looks very intimidating because he is so stout. The media hypes anything Pitbull and it is a bunch of bull crap. I want to know what that dog was actually doing to be considered aggressive behavior. If the dog was just jumping around or something then that is probably playing. I could understand barking or growling, but I would bet if the dog were doing that then the cop would have said so, which he didnt.

My dog has gotten loose one time because he bolted when I opened the front door and guess what nothing happened. If you were not ignorant of the breed or if you actually owned a pit bull you would know that you didnt have to take extra special measures to keep it away from people. WHen I was walking my dog just a few days ago there was a loose pitbull outside and he was very friendly. I never felt threatened and he actually wanted to play with my dog. I petted him and everything.

Any dog can be dangerous, the media just seems to go after the pitbull breed and it is unjustified. Pitbull attacks are less than 10% of the total reported dog attacks every year and that is even with throwing in 3 breeds( American Staffordshire Terrier, Bull Terrier, American Pitbull Terrier) into that category and not to mention mutts that resemble pitbulls.

Now should Jerome Mathis be careful to make sure that his dogs dont get loose? Yes he should but not any more than any other dog owner.

Pit bulls are dangerous animals. My dog, regardless of how she's trained, does not have the physical ability to do the damage that a pit bull can do. That's reality. If you own a dog that can inflict serious harm, you have a greater responsibility in how you handle it and protect others from it.

Ole Miss Texan
12-12-2007, 10:46 AM
Great advice brandon!

Carr Bombed
12-12-2007, 10:58 AM

I have a mut. She gets out sometimes. However, she is unwilling and unable to hurt anyone. So, I don't think your point is a good one.

Just, because it's a "pit bull", doesn't automatically mean it's going to "hurt someone". I have a pit and it's my nicest dog.........I let it play with my 3 year old nephew, these dogs get bad raps, because of their reputations..........guess what breed of dog stared on little rascals and was around dozens of kids everyday...

For god sakes, as a kid, I had my ear bitten off by a damn miniature schnauzer.....if that can happen by that breed of dog, every damn dog is dangerous.

powerfuldragon
12-12-2007, 10:59 AM
To say that Mathis plays is a little inaccurate IMO.

you win the thread.

I think Pit bulls are some of the ugliest dogs in the world. Never wanted one and never will.
i agree.

Brandon420tx
12-12-2007, 11:03 AM
Thats the thing, people get bit because they do not know how to treat or act around dogs. This is mostly true for children from lack of experiance. Unobservant parents plus child who doesn't know any better plus dog = bite. If you don't want your child bitten by the Pitbull, tell the child to be very nice and wait for the pitbull to come play with you, or ask the owner politely to put the dog outside. Don't want your child to get bitten by the mini-pincher see above. It doesn't matter what type of dog, if your stupid around it bad things happen. True for life too, if your stupid or uninformed in life, bad things will happen to you.

Errant Hothy
12-12-2007, 11:05 AM
This is yet another reason why cats are better then dogs. When was the last time you saw the following headlines:

NFL player's cats escape.

Cats and hip-hop culture, a growing concern?

Michael Vick sentences to 23 months of jail time for cat fighting.

etc.

Carr Bombed
12-12-2007, 11:07 AM
Every 20 seconds, someone gets bitten by a dog. Hell just yesterday I got bitten by my neighbors mini-doberman who I play with all the time. It wasn't viscious, it didn't chomp down on my wrist, it just put its teeth around it while it was swing its head around.
Domesticated dogs are not naturally mean and agressive, they can be conditioned to be. Pit bulls get a very bad wrap because they are one of the few dogs powerful enough to do serious damage in the event of a bite, because of that fact, a few owners condition them to be aggressive for A.) protecting their home and property, B.) They're just abusive to their dogs, C.) Money from dogfighting. You also have to take into account strays that fear people and have to look after themselves.

You are more likely to be bit by a Poodle then a Pit Bull. As stated earlier, hyper and nervous dogs are more likely to bite you without warning.

Heres some dog tips. How to earn a dogs trust
The first time you meet a dog wait for it to come to you before you try to pet/play with it. This will happen more frequently with younger dogs because they are curious and want to play.
Older dogs won't approach you as often or quickly unless A.) they're really used to strangers B.)Their owner is really nice and they don't fear people. C.) You have food D.) They have a really bad itch that they JUUUST can't reach.
If an older dog approaches you but stays a few feet away while staring at you. DO NOT approach it. You can stick your hand out a little bit to indicate you want to pet it, but do don't rush that dog. That dog is sizing you up, determining whether or not to be afraid of you, and approaching it prematurely can result in 1.) It runs away from you 2.) It cowers but lets you approach 3.) It will Growl/Bark/Snap its jaws.

2 and 3 have a high risk of you getting bit, so don't take the chance if you want to interact with the dog. Just leave it alone.

another thing to do...........always.. ALWAYS stick out your hand and let the dog sniff the back of your hand before you even attempt to pet it. In dog language, it's like saying hi and you mean no harm.........if you just reach out and attempt to pet a strange dog before doing this first he's going to think your just reaching out to grab him or something.......let him sniff your hand first and everything will be okay.

threetoedpete
12-12-2007, 11:09 AM

Not saying no one should own a pit bull. I can't jugde what is in an owners heart. What I will say is Jerome is no ordinary citizen. He is an NFL player. He is an NFL player on a team whos owner has made a point of neighborhood presence. He is being paid by an orginazaton who's members stock just took big ol PR hit over pit bulls. Now no one is saying Jerome can't have a pit bull. But what I'm saying is he has exercised an extermely poor choice on the breed of dog he chose to own. I just can't get over the descprencies of the total number of mualings by pitt bulls as compaired to the total number of mualings by other breeds. This dog was bred for one purpose. To attack . That's it. You may chose to own the breed. But you must also be willing to except the responsiblity and all that entails by owning the breed. There is a history here. If the dog had muled someone while it was out, there is no way the Texans could spin that. No way. The breed as y'all say may be singled out unfaily. From my tree, to put yourslef in position of no decernable defense is not wise. Your pitt bull muals someone...you will lose your house. And if you except this...I have no problem with you running the risk. Your life.

Carr Bombed
12-12-2007, 11:10 AM
This is yet another reason why cats are better then dogs. When was the last time you saw the following headlines:

etc.

I can't stand cats, they are stuck up snobs that would rather lick their azz then pay any attention to you..........hate cats.

Texan_Bill
12-12-2007, 11:17 AM
I just can't get over the descprencies of the total number of mulings by pitt bulls as compaired to the total number of mualings by other breeds. This dog was bred for one purpose. To attack .

If you are referring to attacks on people, you're a little off base. Pits are known to be aggressive towards other animals - but not people...

If there was a manual describing ideal Pit Bull temperament, it would probably read something like this: "The Pit Bull is goofily friendly towards people--family, friends, and strangers alike. Known for its sound character, strong nerve, and great intelligence, the breed makes an ideal companion for households with children, while remaining strong and vigilent enough to protect its loved ones if need be. It is never necessary to embark on guard or attack training with this breed, as they are naturally attuned to their environment and intuitive about real threats. Although never aggressive towards people without real need, the Pit Bull is dog-aggressive, to varying degrees. The properly socialized and trained Pit Bull should not be an instigater, yet neither should he shy away from a challenge. The breed is known for its high prey drive, and so due caution should be exercised when cats, rabbits, domestic fowl, and other such animals are present. Aggression towards other animals should not be viewed as a fault, although excessive, uncontrollable aggression is neither desired nor correct. Aggression towards humans should be viewed as a serious fault.

I highlighted that last line because - that would be true of any dog.

Link: The Real Pit Bull (http://www.realpitbull.com/temperament.html)

And to those that suggested that Pits are ugly - I tend to agree also.

Specnatz
12-12-2007, 11:19 AM
Overreact much?

Nope and I did not overreact. With almost certainly I can say good bye to him. He does not play, he is always hurt. Dogs are a very touchy subject right now and if you do not understand that then I can not help you.

All I said was good bye sucker?

That was it I did not trash him for having dogs or them getting out in fact I did not trash him for being worthless roster space and cap space.

Now can I ask you the same question do you overreact much?

ATX
12-12-2007, 11:19 AM
Weird......the article says Pits are smart. Maybe it's just the ones I've been around, but they are some of the stupidest dogs IMO. I'd take a German Sheppard any day over a Pitbull.

Yankee_In_TX
12-12-2007, 11:27 AM
When a sheriff's deputy arrived, he said he found one of the pit bulls running towards a woman "in an aggressive manner." The deputy fired at the dog because he thought it was going to attack the woman. The dog was not hit.

I'm not sure which is worse, the fact he fired at the dog or that he missed.

I mean, if they were attacking people sure, but it sounded like a bunch of mass hysteria.

And this coming from someone who thinks pit bulls are NOT good for pets.

Carr Bombed
12-12-2007, 11:32 AM
Nope and I did not overreact. With almost certainly I can say good bye to him. He does not play, he is always hurt. Dogs are a very touchy subject right now and if you do not understand that then I can not help you.

All I said was good bye sucker?

That was it I did not trash him for having dogs or them getting out in fact I did not trash him for being worthless roster space and cap space.

Now can I ask you the same question do you overreact much?

funny, you try to bash me after you just throw out a "goodbye sucker".........maybe next time you should be more specific to why you want the guy gone.

Texan_Bill
12-12-2007, 11:33 AM
Truthfully, Rotts used to have the same bad / wrong perception about them as Pits get.

Carr Bombed
12-12-2007, 11:37 AM
Weird......the article says Pits are smart. Maybe it's just the ones I've been around, but they are some of the stupidest dogs IMO. I'd take a German Sheppard any day over a Pitbull.

Those "stupid dogs" just happen to produce the best and most decorated dog that ever served our country...

http://animalfarmfoundation.org/item.php?item=68

Texan_Bill
12-12-2007, 11:38 AM
Those "stupid dogs" just happen to produce the best and most decorated dog that every served our country...

Good find!!!

ATX
12-12-2007, 11:40 AM
Those "stupid dogs" just happen to produce the best and most decorated dog that every served our country...

I still think they're stupid dogs in general. Just an opinion on my part, I've been around enough of them to have an opinion on them.

Specnatz
12-12-2007, 11:43 AM
funny, you try to bash me after you just throw out a "goodbye sucker".........maybe next time you should be more specific to why you want the guy gone.

I am not trying to bash you, far from it. I was explaining myself.

santo
12-12-2007, 11:47 AM
The Dog Whisperer would find this thread very offensive.

http://www.colonialrottclub.org/images/cesar2.jpg

There are no bad dogs. Just bad people raising dogs.

austintexanite
12-12-2007, 01:28 PM
As long as his dogs didn't attack anyone I don't see the big deal.

Maddict5
12-12-2007, 01:43 PM

etc.

cats suck..
we have a dog- hes an ***** labrador (spelled wrong i know) but hes friendly and loyal

we have 5 cats (1 that escalated due to unplanned pregnancy).. we hate them and would love to get rid of them (wheres my shovel? :)j/k)- they are users that are just friendly when they want food

edit carr bomb already caught it

bigbrewster2000
12-12-2007, 01:47 PM
Pit bulls are dangerous animals. My dog, regardless of how she's trained, does not have the physical ability to do the damage that a pit bull can do. That's reality. If you own a dog that can inflict serious harm, you have a greater responsibility in how you handle it and protect others from it.

I think you are mistaking powerful for dangerous. Pit bulls are powerful, now thats reality. Again you are not even reading or choosing not to take into account that ANY dog not just pit bulls could POTENTIALLY be harmful.

Do you think the same as a golden retriever? Saint Bernard? Great Dane maybe? Any of those dogs COULD do serious damage or be harmful to a person. And once again only a small fraction of dog attacks are from pit bulls.

Yankee_In_TX
12-12-2007, 01:48 PM
The Dog Whisperer would find this thread very offensive.

http://www.colonialrottclub.org/images/cesar2.jpg

There are no bad dogs. Just bad people raising dogs.

Problem being when one spazzes out (say gets scared for some reason), they have the body and build to kill and maim.

gtexan02
12-12-2007, 01:49 PM
Pit Bulls aren't bad dogs. They just get a horrible rap.

Think about it. Who gets pit bulls? Tough guys, dog fighting guys, etc. People who don't want a dog to love, but want a dog for image or entertainment.

If you don't treat a dog right, its not going to be a very nice dog. If you train it to fight, its going to fight. If you beat it or ignore it, its not going to be nice to people. I mean, dogs are ANIMALS. If they arent socialized correctly, they'll revert to animal behavior.

Sure there are some instances of nice people owning pit bulls who have really hurt other dogs, but thats the case with a lot of dogs.

The fact is, if there anything to be worried about with pit bulls, its their aggression toward other dogs. In some cases, this is total instinct and isn't easy to suppress.

But if you think pit bulls are naturally aggressive towards humans because of breeding, you're wrong.

Also, ask Cesar Milan. He'll tell ya how nice pits are. He's got like 40 of 'em

Also, the fact that JM's were all living together (4 of 'em) is a good sign. If they were fighting dogs, they wouldn't be able to stand each other

Yankee_In_TX
12-12-2007, 01:50 PM
Do you think the same as a golden retriever? Saint Bernard? Great Dane maybe? Any of those dogs COULD do serious damage or be harmful to a person. And once again only a small fraction of dog attacks are from pit bulls.

I honestly do not know, I would like to see stats:

1) frequency of dog attacks by breed
2) severity of dog attacks by breed

gtexan02
12-12-2007, 01:50 PM
Problem being when one spazzes out (say gets scared for some reason), they have the body and build to kill and maim.

So does any dog over 50 lbs. Ive seen dog bites that kill or cause serious brain damage from some surprising subjects in the ER before (Goldens, Labs, etc)

gtexan02
12-12-2007, 01:51 PM
I honestly do not know, I would like to see stats:

1) frequency of dog attacks by breed
2) severity of dog attacks by breed

Pit bulls make up a large number of attacks toward people, that stat is known.

Most bites of any breed are cocker, but they usually aren't severe

Pits do cause a lot of problems, but when they interview the owner, you get an idea why that dog acts the way it does

ubecool454
12-12-2007, 02:01 PM
Yeah this might just be the prevebial straw that broke the camels back. There's stupid and then there is stupid. Break your rice bowl over a dog ? goodness what are you thinking Jerome ? He's had what four months to unload the dog(s) ?

The fact that Mathis is from the same place as micheal vick doesn't mean he is fighting dogs. I don't care for pitbulls and think vick got to much time for fighting dogs. I really wish that Sean Taylor and Dunta had some pits in the house when they were attacked by hoodlums.

ubecool454
12-12-2007, 02:03 PM
Yes and life isn't fair and there is no easter bunny...but some times perception becomes reality. Knee jerk or not...how these players preform off the feild is just as valuable as how they preform on it. And for what Mr. McNair is paying them, he should demand the standard. Now what you say is true. It's also true that this has put the Texans in a bad light. Up to you to figure out what degree of reality we have here. It was a bad decidsion regaurdless of whether he had them kept properly kenneled. He should of gotten rid of the dogs.

Can you please nevermind.

ubecool454
12-12-2007, 02:09 PM

etc.

I love catfights.

Yankee_In_TX
12-12-2007, 02:09 PM
Pit bulls make up a large number of attacks toward people, that stat is known.

Most bites of any breed are cocker, but they usually aren't severe

Pits do cause a lot of problems, but when they interview the owner, you get an idea why that dog acts the way it does

True, does present a kind of a chicken or egg argument. Dumb owner or angry dog?

ubecool454
12-12-2007, 02:14 PM

I guess Jerome plans his injuries and loves being hurt?

Errant Hothy
12-12-2007, 02:18 PM
<Hoth-Boy puts on flame retardent suit>

I'm of the opinion that any animal capable of being trained to seriously harm/kill another animal or a person is dangerous and should be kept out of the hands of most of the general population. So therefore I am of the belief that their should be restrictions to owning certain breeds of dogs. It takes expeierence, knowledge and a lot of patence to raise a well adjusted Pit Bull, Rott, etc. I know people who are capable of this, and I also know people who are not yet they own a Pitt Bull, etc (and no, I don't let me kids go near these dogs).

gtexan02
12-13-2007, 11:28 AM
<Hoth-Boy puts on flame retardent suit>

I'm of the opinion that any animal capable of being trained to seriously harm/kill another animal or a person is dangerous and should be kept out of the hands of most of the general population. So therefore I am of the belief that their should be restrictions to owning certain breeds of dogs. It takes expeierence, knowledge and a lot of patence to raise a well adjusted Pit Bull, Rott, etc. I know people who are capable of this, and I also know people who are not yet they own a Pitt Bull, etc (and no, I don't let me kids go near these dogs).

So you can have guns, but not dogs?
Also, any dog over 40 lbs is easily capable of killing someone
Any dog over 20 lbs could easily kill a child
Any dog over 5 lbs could probably kill a baby

I mean, its a pretty slipperly slope there. I agree that there probably needs to be stricter rules about dogs. But banning certain breeds just because of their breed is short sighted.

Heres the solution:

All damage done by your dog is exactly as if you did it yourself.

Therefore if your dog kills someone, you are tried for murder. Then people would only get dogs they could handle or trust

Errant Hothy
12-13-2007, 11:35 AM
So you can have guns, but not dogs?
Also, any dog over 40 lbs is easily capable of killing someone
Any dog over 20 lbs could easily kill a child
Any dog over 5 lbs could probably kill a baby

I mean, its a pretty slipperly slope there. I agree that there probably needs to be stricter rules about dogs. But banning certain breeds just because of their breed is short sighted.

Heres the solution:

All damage done by your dog is exactly as if you did it yourself.

Therefore if your dog kills someone, you are tried for murder. Then people would only get dogs they could handle or trust

I'm for much stricter gun control as well (shocking I know).

I'm not anti-dog it just concerns me that dogs are one of the few domesticated animals that can be trained to seriously harm/kill people on just the command of their owner.

powerfuldragon
12-13-2007, 11:37 AM
I'm for much stricter gun control as well (shocking I know).

Chris Rock had it right. price bullets at $5,000 a pop.