PDA

View Full Version : Texans on MNF?

DerekLee1
12-11-2007, 06:06 PM
Do you think the Texans have improved enough and created enough rivalry (Jags, Titans, cowboys, Colts) that we may get a shot at MNF for the first time in franchise history next year?

brakos82
12-11-2007, 06:07 PM
I think so. At least a Sunday night Flex game probably.

austintexanite
12-11-2007, 06:10 PM
I have to believe yes. It will probably be against the Titans, with the whole Mario and Vince thing.

hollywood_texan
12-11-2007, 06:11 PM
Do you think the Texans have improved enough and created enough rivalry (Jags, Titans, cowboys, Colts) that we may get a shot at MNF for the first time in franchise history next year?

A lot of that will ride on what happens in the next 3 games. Go 2-1 and finish 8-8. As strong as the AFC South is, there are a lot of intriguing matchups for every divisional game.

I don't think the Texans play the Cowboys next year, unless you are referring to the preseason game.

gtexan02
12-11-2007, 06:13 PM
If wwe finish up at 6-10 again, then no, we won't be on MNF imo

If we win 8 games I think it will happen

SA Texan
12-11-2007, 06:16 PM
I would be happier with a Sunday night game. I think those are considered to be the marquee matchups now, more so than Monday night game.

DerekLee1
12-11-2007, 06:19 PM
I think those are considered to be the marquee matchups now, more so than Monday night game.

I agree, but it's the whole historic thing. We've had two SNF games and in two days, a Thursday night game, but still nothing on Monday.

GuerillaBlack
12-11-2007, 06:26 PM
If wwe finish up at 6-10 again, then no, we won't be on MNF imo

If we win 8 games I think it will happen

Have you seen the teams that have played on MNF this year? If we go 8-8, I see a MNF easily, and SNF game, too.

Lucky
12-11-2007, 06:26 PM
Looking at this seasons schedule as the metric for MNF inclusion, the Texans might be over qualified. 17 teams currently sub .500 have played or will play on MNF this season.

Speedy
12-11-2007, 06:45 PM
Looking at this seasons schedule as the metric for MNF inclusion, the Texans might be over qualified. 17 teams currently sub .500 have played or will play on MNF this season.

You ain't kidding. If anybody needs a flex schedule it's MNF.
SNF has done a little better picking their schedule. I think they've only flexed one game so far and that was bumping Chicago/Seattle for the Pats/Bills. IMO, they could have let that one be as well as the Bears/Hawks was a much better game than the Pats blowout of the Bills.

adam
12-11-2007, 07:39 PM
They've put the Bills on, why not the Texans?

powerfuldragon
12-11-2007, 07:41 PM
Have you seen the teams that have played on MNF this year? If we go 8-8, I see a MNF easily, and SNF game, too.

yeah, but the intro music hasn't changed. seriously, the superbowl should be on a monday night. once we do that, we'd have to wait approx. a year for the nation's industrial giants to recognize the lack of a workforce on superbowl monday. Coca-Cola, GM, Toyota, Pepsi, and Microsoft--among many others-- lobby congress hard and voila, a four day weekend in january.

Leahmic223
12-11-2007, 08:13 PM
I hope so. I really thought the Saints game might have been a good game to air nationally but I guess not.

We deserve more than just one Thursday night game I feel. But at the same time there are plenty of other teams that I think do too.

The Vikings are sure to get one next year and so are the Browns. The Lions also and the Bucs.

Team that have a MNF game this year and SHOULD NOT get one next IMO are the Dolphins, Bengals, Eagles, and Falcons.

Here are the teams we play next year besides our rivals
Baltimore
Cincinnati
Chicago
Detroit
Cleveland
Pittsburgh
Green Bay
Minnesota

Looking at those...I think a game against the Jags or the Titans would be more exciting. We win two more games I think most definitely we get a MNF game.

hollywood_texan
12-11-2007, 08:20 PM
It's one thing to be on Monday Night, it's another thing to do it at home!

Mailman
12-11-2007, 09:54 PM
There's very little chance the Texans will pull a Monday night game until they make the playoffs. The franchise is basically non-existent in the minds of many NFL fans. As bad as teams like the Dolphins, Jets, Bengals, Falcons, and Niners have been, they all have either a storied franchise history and the fanbase that goes with it, OR a player or two with national starpower.

Andre Johnson is a top-five receiver, but he's not flashy enough for the "Worldwide Leader."

TheCD
12-12-2007, 01:11 AM
Maybe I'm wrong, but wasn't there talk a while ago of Bob McNair not wanting us to be on Monday night? I could have sworn I heard something like that.

Carr Bombed
12-12-2007, 01:19 AM
Only a retarded owner would not want his team (product) getting national tv exposure.

Speedy
12-12-2007, 01:51 AM
I always thought to be on Monday Night Football, you had to be .500 or better the previous season. Probably one of those myths, but it certainly isn't that way any more.

23 of the 32 teams (that's all but 9 teams in the league) will have played a Monday night game this season, and 13 of those 23 had records of .500 or below and 7 teams were 7-9 or worse in 2006.

Arizona and Washington both on MNF this year, were 5-11 in '06.
Miami and Minnesota were both 6-10 and the Vikings HOST MNF.
The 49ers, Falcons and Bills were 7-9 in '06, with SF playing twice on MNF hosting once, and Atlanta HOSTING TWICE.

The 10-6 Jets didn't get one, the 9-7 Chiefs didn't get one and the 8-8 Panthers and Rams didn't get one. Granted, those teams weren't as good this year, but SF, Atlanta, and Miami, who all shouldn't have gotten a MNF this year based on last year's records, still sucked this year. That's probably why the matchups have been horrible on MNF recently.

So anyway, based on some of those sorry teams with 5-11, 6-10 records getting a Monday nighter, I see no reason why the Texans can't score a Monday night game next year....especially if they win another game or two.

Marcus
12-12-2007, 07:20 AM
The people who make the MNF schedule look at one thing. Would the team be interesting nationally? A playoff appearance only fits that bill.

Second Honeymoon
12-12-2007, 08:44 AM

Cowboys? what rivalry with the Cowboys? sometimes some of you fans from Houston just don't get it. There is NO rivalry with the Cowboys. Never was and probably never will be. You can't play a team 2 times in 8 years and call it a rivalry. Haley's Comet comes around just about as often as a Texans v. Cowboys matchup. As for the divisional teams, there is a rivalry with the Titans and Jags, no doubt about it. The Napoleonic Complex that so many Houston fans have towards Dallas and especially the Cowboys is pretty sad and pathetic. Some of yall would rather watch the Cowboys lose than the Texans win..its just sad. I don't know where it comes from but its quite pathetic and juvenile and shows the jealous and envy that permeates our fanbase. I wish people would just grow up and make it Texas first. You will NEVER catch me rooting for any east coast team vs. the Cowboys. That just goes against everything I believe in as a Texan and someone from the Southwest. Screw the Yankees.

I think we will get a Sunday Night game and that is actually better than a Monday Night game nowadays. I would rather the Texans get a Monday Night game though because that way I can still watch a full slate of NFL football on Sunday and then watch my beloved Texans on Monday. if its Sunday Night, I pretty much miss the 3pm games....

Texans Horror
12-12-2007, 08:50 AM
It's a numbers game, and the Texans game would need one or more of the following:

1. Big audience (e.g., Cowboys)
2. Big season (e.g., play-off team)
3. Big name (e.g., Ray Lewis)
4. Big game (e.g., Cowboys/Skins)

There is some parity, which helps the Texans, but nothing would help the Texans like a winning season and some popularity. However, having sold out for x amount of years makes me think they have the audience. The Tennessee rivalries could probably qualify for big games. But the Texans have neither the big season nor the big name. So like others are saying, I could see the late-in-the-year Tennessee vs. Houston game. I could also see a game against an East Coast team, just to drum up demographics for MNF. Either way, the game will not be etched in stone for another year.

Hardcore Texan
12-12-2007, 09:04 AM
I think it is possible. But it will be agains the Titans or the Colts if it happens, IMO.

Joe Texan
12-12-2007, 09:06 AM
From the last Titan showing I bet we do not get a look for a couple of more years. That was just pitiful.

TEXANSTAILGATER
12-12-2007, 09:11 AM
MNF will never be a flex game. They can flex times, but not days when it comes to the stadium use.

Texan_Bill
12-12-2007, 09:20 AM

I was just taking a look at that too. You're spot on!!!

You ain't kidding. If anybody needs a flex schedule it's MNF.
SNF has done a little better picking their schedule. I think they've only flexed one game so far and that was bumping Chicago/Seattle for the Pats/Bills. IMO, they could have let that one be as well as the Bears/Hawks was a much better game than the Pats blowout of the Bills.

What Speedy?? You didn't find the NO v. ATL. game appealing?!!?

:sarcasm:

Maddict5
12-12-2007, 09:46 AM
i think itd be criminal if we dont get one next yr

Joe Texan
12-12-2007, 09:48 AM
How can we get one when yall vacate the stadium by halftime

Second Honeymoon
12-12-2007, 09:58 AM
I was just taking a look at that too. You're spot on!!!

What Speedy?? You didn't find the NO v. ATL. game appealing?!!?

:sarcasm:

or how about the Ravens being on primetime on a seemingly weekly basis. If I have to see Ray's 'i'm bad' grimace again, I think I may have to puke.

they can't go flex for obvious logistical reasons, but they could mandate that the teams would both have to be at .500 or over .500 the previous year to be considered. they could also try and make sure the lesser teams play their games at home where you give their fans a chance to shine while also increasing the chance of a competitive game. The Texans had no business playing in Seattle on National Television in one of our previous Nationally televised games. Granted, we played like dogcrap but Seattle was Super Bowl caliber and we, well we had Carr. Nuff said.

I think just trying to put competitive games on MNF is enough, to be honest. Try limiting the amount of times the Jets and Giants are on national television to only 12 times a year. And a big pet peeve is that I would rather not see a dominant team play at home and wipe the floor of an inferior team in front of the national viewing audience. The Ravens v Pats game was a nice surprise but something tells me it would have been different if it had been at Foxboro.

nunusguy
12-12-2007, 10:11 AM
Many teams are just better TV draws, no matter what their record ?
Like it or not teams like the Cowboys, Steelers, Packers, etc. will pull in bigger ratings than less popular teams who may have better W-L records.
And I'm afraid the Texans rank right at the bottom in terms of team & player
recognition & national appeal.
Even if we were to win out (not that I think that will happen) and finish with a
winning record, we might still be a long-shot to to get on monday night.

threetoedpete
12-12-2007, 10:29 AM
I agree with that. It's all about how many people...they believe will tune in and watch another ford comercial. They have a built in audience with the NE teams. New York City teams and Philly will be on more than Houston ever will. The Eastern Sports Network pays a lot for thier package. They want all the goodie they can get out of it. Buffallo is in the same boat as we are in. They are in New York State...but they may as well be on the other side of the moon as far as Bristol Connecticut is concerned. The only way the folks in Bristol give us a game is if we become danged good. And danged good over a period of time...say a couple of seasons.

The only reason we are on tomorrow is not because the teams are good. It's because the game has some interesting personal angles. Dad vs Son. Kubes vs former boss. Young phenom QB vs young Phenom MLB...oh wait. Gonna be a hoot if we get a game from the two young 'uns.

DerekLee1
12-12-2007, 11:11 AM
From the last Titan showing I bet we do not get a look for a couple of more years. That was just pitiful.

Yeah, but the first one was the game of the day. They talked about it everywhere.

Specnatz
12-12-2007, 11:23 AM

At least their are fans, did you see the monday night game? Looked like about 5k people.

dskillz
12-12-2007, 11:38 AM
I would be happier with a Sunday night game. I think those are considered to be the marquee matchups now, more so than Monday night game.

It takes steps to get a Sunday night game. Let's get a Monday night game first, then see what happens. I think if the team goes 8-8 this season, we will be on Monday night.

bpe3
12-12-2007, 02:12 PM
If you make the playoffs, you are guarateed a Monday Night game. I doubt we'll get one until then. Even when we do, it will be a road game. As long as most of the people in the 300-level would rather sit on a sofa sipping cocktails and chatting with their friends instead of sitting in their reserved seat with a bird's eye view of action on the field, we'll never have a Monday Night game at home.

bpe3

ubecool454
12-12-2007, 02:16 PM

right on lucky!

ubecool454
12-12-2007, 02:19 PM

Maybe we should lock the doors to reliant at the end of the 1st quarter. If you are caught leaving reliant before the game is over..lifetime banishment from Reliant Stadium.

ubecool454
12-12-2007, 02:24 PM
I hope so. I really thought the Saints game might have been a good game to air nationally but I guess not.

We deserve more than just one Thursday night game I feel. But at the same time there are plenty of other teams that I think do too.

The Vikings are sure to get one next year and so are the Browns. The Lions also and the Bucs.

Team that have a MNF game this year and SHOULD NOT get one next IMO are the Dolphins, Bengals, Eagles, and Falcons.

Here are the teams we play next year besides our rivals
Baltimore
Cincinnati
Chicago
Detroit
Cleveland
Pittsburgh
Green Bay
Minnesota

Looking at those...I think a game against the Jags or the Titans would be more exciting. We win two more games I think most definitely we get a MNF game.

i think the eagles wil get a monday night game even if they went 2-14 and I was the QB.

Double Barrel
12-12-2007, 04:03 PM
I could care less about MNF. Games on work days suck. I'd rather have an ENTIRE day to enjoy my home games, rather than work half a day and then deal with Houston's fantastic traffic jams.

TexansLucky13
12-12-2007, 04:33 PM
If we beat the Broncos... yes. If not, no.

Lucky
12-12-2007, 05:36 PM
I could care less about MNF.
I don't know. I look at those clips of the MNF game against the Fins from the Luv Ya Blue era, and I'd like to be a part of that. There's something different about playing on Monday Night, even though it doesn't come through on the telecasts anymore.

Double Barrel
12-12-2007, 06:04 PM
I don't know. I look at those clips of the MNF game against the Fins from the Luv Ya Blue era, and I'd like to be a part of that. There's something different about playing on Monday Night, even though it doesn't come through on the telecasts anymore.

I'll probably feel different about it if/when it happens. Until then, I'll just be bitter that we are never considered. ;)

The mystique of MNF is definitely there, so I cannot deny that I'd have fun if Reliant hosted one. But I have fun at all the games, even the ones with only 5,000 of us left in the stadium when the clock strikes 0:00. I'll always be happy that pro football is back.