PDA

View Full Version : Petrino Bails on Atlanta

ensign_lee
12-11-2007, 05:03 PM
Wow...:um: didn't even make it a full season...

Texan_Bill
12-11-2007, 05:12 PM
Wow...:um: didn't even make it a full season...

Is there some sort of link?!??

TEXANS84
12-11-2007, 05:13 PM
Is there some sort of link?!??

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3150783

Texan_Bill
12-11-2007, 05:17 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3150783

Thank ya sir!!

It must have been Blank's fried chicken comment...... :stirpot:

TEXANS84
12-11-2007, 05:19 PM
Thank ya sir!!

It must have been Blank's fried chicken comment...... :stirpot:

http://www.nfl.com/

It's all over NFL.com and NFL network, confirmed.

gtexan02
12-11-2007, 05:19 PM
Cam Cameron is next

PapaL
12-11-2007, 05:20 PM
Can't blame him. ATL is a mess.

Texan_Bill
12-11-2007, 05:23 PM

Exactly... Talk about a no-win situation. I almost felt bad for the guy.

Errant Hothy
12-11-2007, 05:30 PM

But for the Arkansas gig?

When I saw this I immeadiatly thought "He must be going to Michigan", Arkansas never crossed my mind.

The day after your barn was only 2/3 full on a Monday night and your star QB gets 23 months in the pen, your HC leaves for college...it's gotta suck to be a Falcons fan this week.

gtexan02
12-11-2007, 05:32 PM
I dont get it. They had the 3rd or 4th pick in the draft locked up. Easy to get at least Brohm or Matt Ryan. PLUS 2 2nds. A decent defense + a decent offense thats only missing a couple people. A good coach would have turned that team around

Nawzer
12-11-2007, 05:39 PM
I'm thinking something happened internally in Atlanta or Petrino may have received some offer from Michigan or Arkansas.

SA Texan
12-11-2007, 05:44 PM
I think he's doing the right thing and don't blame him at all. The Falcons are a mess and are going to be a mess for a long time.

adam
12-11-2007, 05:50 PM
This probably means the end for Chris Redman (yet again).

Specnatz
12-11-2007, 05:50 PM
Look for the Falcons to take a huge hit this year and deal a lot of players and get as many draft picks as possible over the next couple years.

tulexan
12-11-2007, 05:53 PM
Brian Brohm must be pissed.

cuppacoffee
12-11-2007, 05:53 PM
Not real suprising.

http://texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?p=791958#post791958

And I don't blame him.

:coffee:

kastofsna
12-11-2007, 06:07 PM
i expect Rich McKay to be out of there soon as well.

Silver Oak
12-11-2007, 06:18 PM
I still can't quite figure out how we managed to lose to the Falcons this season. IMO, it was one of 2 games where they just went through the motions and/or they took us out of our gameplan. The other being in San Diego.

hollywood_texan
12-11-2007, 06:21 PM
I still can't quite figure out how we managed to lose to the Falcons this season. IMO, it was one of 2 games where they just went through the motions and/or they took us out of our gameplan. The other being in San Diego.

It's games like that always remind me to not get too ahead of myself and expectations of the Texans.

Furthermore, the Texans still haven't logged a true quality win this year.

This 3 game stretch is going to give a really good indication of where this team is.

aj.
12-11-2007, 06:22 PM
Atl is the loss that sticks in my craw more than any other.

When you are a .500ish team, optimism and pessimism swing like a pendum ... sometimes weekly. That's the way it goes when your team is at that stage of development.

I don't qualify wins as quality or not quality necessarily - although I understand the concept that a win over the Colts is 'better' than a win over the Dolphins. But they all end up counting the same in the standings and if you win half your games, you're in the middle of the pack in the league in terms of quality. The most frustrating thing is the Division record. Tennessee is way beatable this year and they got in our heads for some reason.

I think I have a good idea where this team is. They are 7-9ish without the services of their starting QB, CB, RB, and WR for most of the year. And that's more a reflection of coaching/motivation and player buy-in than talent/depth. I think it's a reason to be optimistic.

austintexanite
12-11-2007, 06:23 PM
What a d**k, after all the crap about him riding out the storm. I feel bad for Blank and the fans. Though not all of them, as they were pretty rude when we played them.

Second Honeymoon
12-11-2007, 06:28 PM
could this have been a byproduction of 'Fried Chickengate' or perhaps the losers on the Falcons wearing the 'Free Michael Vick' shirts. that was so freaking pathetic and lame. To trivialize his plight and to set such a poor example for kids is just off the charts stupid.

If I was a head coach and my players were glorifying a felon anytime they made a play and then getting their ass beat in the game, I would be like 'I have had enough. I am outta here.' I really think Petrino just wanted to leave the circus behind and let them wallow in their own immaturity because he didn't sign up to be the coach of a team like that. Petrino is smart to get out and Arkansas is a pretty good job to be honest.

I still can't believe players were propping Vick up after he let them down so much. Vick is the reason they are sitting there in the NFC South cellar and the reason that there season is lost. Vick let them down but here comes the big 'im a victim' mentality of a lot of the more immature African American players (not all the African American players feel like Hall, Jenkins, and Co. and they don't deserve to be grouped in with those losers) and they start paintiing Vick as some sort of hero. They are too ignorant to realize that Vick let them down and didn't have their back.

I guess ignorance is bliss....and Petrino had enough.

alphajoker
12-11-2007, 06:29 PM
It's games like that always remind me to not get too ahead of myself and expectations of the Texans.

Furthermore, the Texans still haven't logged a true quality win this year.

This 3 game stretch is going to give a really good indication of where this team is.

What's your definition of a true quality win? I can think of one right off the top of my head and that's Carolina.

Rex King
12-11-2007, 06:31 PM
It's probably better for Atlanta this way. They could have wasted another two years while Petrino mired them further into mediocrity. The players are already starting to question him, and he probably realized the NFL is the No Fun for Petrino League.

4Texans
12-11-2007, 07:13 PM
Atl is the loss that sticks in my craw more than any other.

Mine too.....

Arthur Blank has got to be................. No telling what he's thinking right now.....

HoustonFrog
12-11-2007, 07:16 PM
Everyone wants a Jimmy Johnson but not everyone has that attitude. He had some NFL background with J'Ville but I think once these guys figure they can rule the roost at a college and be the man and make the money...why leave to coach guys who won't listen.

The1ApplePie
12-11-2007, 07:30 PM
Well, I guess Ron Rivera found his new job

Speedy
12-11-2007, 07:34 PM
What's your definition of a true quality win? I can think of one right off the top of my head and that's Carolina.

There are wins that are better than other wins. I mean, every win counts of course, but with the way the NFL is these days where 5 or 6 teams are fighting for those final 2 playoff spots, winning games against your division and conference opponents are much more important than wins against Carolina, New Orleans, and Tampa Bay. Again, yeah, you need those wins too, without them the Texans have a 3 win season at this point, but I'd trade those wins straight up for wins over Cleveland and 2 against Tennessee. Had it happened that way, the Texans would be in a much better position as far as the playoff picture is concerned than how it is by losing those 3 AFC games and winning the NFC games. One way they'd be in a better position, with the same record they have now, just against different teams, is that they could still afford to lose a game and have a shot. Right now, they lose or another team wins and it's over. Plus that would be one more team, Tennessee, out of the picture. The way it is now, having an 0-4 division record and a 3-6 conference record, even had they beat Atlanta, they'd still be in a pretty bad position with tiebreakers.

As far as what's a quality win, I guess beating a good team, or a team nobody gives you a chance to win, or maybe even a game where all aspects of your team were clicking no matter who you were playing. As it is, the Texans have 5 of their 6 wins against teams with losing records. Their 1st and only win over a team better than .500 came this past Sunday against Tampa Bay. I suppose that was quality.

Koolaid Time
12-11-2007, 07:52 PM
SOMETHING happened today.... I don't know what.. But Petrino decided to get the Hell out of Dodge QUICK...

From THIS MORNINGS Atlanta Paper:

Blank says Petrino assures him he'll return

Although Falcons coach Bobby Petrino has said he plans to return next season, there were reports over the weekend that the University of Arkansas wants to hire him for its coaching vacancy.

Blank, who referred to Petrino as a CEO — Blank actually is the team's CEO — said he spoke to Petrino as late as Monday afternoon and Petrino assured him that he would be back.

"I feel real fortunate that we have a terrific guy leading our football team," Blank said. "Our CEO, our coach, Bobby Petrino, has done a terrific job dealing with adversity this year. He's proven to me that he's a better head coach than I ever thought he was going to be, dealing with the set of cards that unfolded this year."

http://www.ajc.com/falcons/content/sports/falcons/stories/2007/12/10/falnot_1211.html

Of course, when you have BOZOS like Delangelo Hall running onto the field during the pregame introductions holding a Vick poster, and then going and putting the poster on the back of the Atlanta bench with tape... and how many Falcoins players wore "Free Mike Vick" T shirts last night that they were more than happy to show off on TV?

If I had to deal with garbage like that, I'd be benching and fining players left and right.... and if the owner got in my way, I'd quit as well...

I don't really blame Petrino..

hollywood_texan
12-11-2007, 08:17 PM
As far as what's a quality win, I guess beating a good team, or a team nobody gives you a chance to win, or maybe even a game where all aspects of your team were clicking no matter who you were playing. As it is, the Texans have 5 of their 6 wins against teams with losing records. Their 1st and only win over a team better than .500 came this past Sunday against Tampa Bay. I suppose that was quality.

Thanks Speedy.

Would like to add that Tampa's starting QB that was important in making them into a winning team was out last week as well.

There are different shades of quality wins. First, is beating good teams. The other shade is showing you can win the division and go deep in the playoffs.

Red_Zone
12-11-2007, 08:37 PM
i expect Rich McKay to be out of there soon as well.

God I hope so.

Red_Zone
12-11-2007, 08:46 PM
Of course, when you have BOZOS like Delangelo Hall running onto the field during the pregame introductions holding a Vick poster, and then going and putting the poster on the back of the Atlanta bench with tape... and how many Falcoins players wore "Free Mike Vick" T shirts last night that they were more than happy to show off on TV?

That was about the dumbest thing I've ever heard of not to mention being totally classless and disrespectful of Arthur Blank and the whole organisation. "Free Vick"? What's that supposed to mean anyway, he put himself where he is, nobody else did. IF they wanted to show support for Vick maybe they should have done it when he was still on the team and helped him to stop being a criminal.

If I had to deal with garbage like that, I'd be benching and fining players left and right.... and if the owner got in my way, I'd quit as well...

I don't really blame Petrino..

I sort of do blame Petrino, he has shown no ability to control his team. He treats pro athletes like college kids and it just doesn't work.

LORK 88
12-11-2007, 10:43 PM
Yes, that's right. The Atlanta Falcons just lost their head coach after not even a full season. He's going to be the new HC of the University of Arkansas. I'm starting to feel bad for them, ATL has had a tough year.

Petrino New HC at Arkansas (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3150783)
Bobby Petrino abruptly resigned Tuesday as Atlanta Falcons coach after 13 games, and multiple sources told ESPN he is negotiating an agreement to become the new coach at Arkansas.

Petrino and his agent had been talking with the Falcons about his preference to return to the college ranks. He had only left Louisville in January, agreeing to a five-year, $24 million contract to coach the Falcons.

Arkansas had no immediate comment on its coaching search, but called an 11:30 p.m. ET news conference in Fayetteville for a "major announcement." Petrino is expected to attend.

Citing the team as its source, the Atlanta Journal-Constitution reported on its Web site that Petrino phoned the Falcons about 5:45 p.m. Tuesday and resigned. Petrino and the team agreed he would not coach the Falcons' remaining three games.

The Falcons declined further comment beyond a terse, two-paragraph statement released Tuesday night. Owner Arthur Blank and general manager Rich McKay were scheduled to hold a news conference at 2 p.m. ET Wednesday.

bah007
12-11-2007, 10:44 PM
Press conference is on ESPN right now.

gwallaia
12-11-2007, 10:50 PM
During the Saints game last night, he did not appear to be very concerned about the game.

Brandon420tx
12-11-2007, 10:55 PM
They are not happy on the Falcons board, I think its worse there then April 9th 2006 here...

kastofsna
12-11-2007, 10:59 PM
God I hope so.
also rumors of Miami hiring McKay for GM.

kastofsna
12-11-2007, 11:00 PM
won't have an easy time recruiting in Georgia.

TexanSam
12-11-2007, 11:00 PM
This is worse than the Nick Saban deal at Miami. What a slimebag for leaving the Falcons after less than a year. I hope he fails miserably at Arkansas. I think I found a coach to dislike more than I do Todd Graham...

Brandon420tx
12-11-2007, 11:03 PM
This comment is pretty humorous

"I'll be using Darren McFadden in my brilliant offensive scheme to create high-scoring opportunities for the Razorbacks."

"Um, Mr. Petrino, Darren McFadden is going to declare for the NFL draft this year."

"WHAT?! OH SCREW THIS, I'M GOING TO MICHIGAN!"
http://life.atlantafalcons.com/Forums/FindPost3002908.aspx

Ole Miss Texan
12-12-2007, 12:20 AM
I have mixed emotions on this. Atlanta is on opportunity to really put yourself on the map. They suck right now but will have a top 5 pick plus two high 2nd round picks etc. Fairly young team. A great coach and staff could really turn them into a great team...esp. in the NFC South which really sucks.

At the same time, Petrino is in a situation where the locker room is in chaos...nobody is on the same page...they have trouble makers (deangelo hall & Co.), no real true loyal fan base. A bunch of Mike Vick lovers. I'm not being racist here at all, for those that have spent time in the ATL know what I'm talking about, it's not about the team it's the player and that only...there is absolutely no loyalty in that town....shoot come to think about it, the Hawks suck and the Braves have won their division so many times that Fans stop going to the ballpark during the playoffs! Atlanta is an awesome city but as far as professional sports goes...I couldn't imagine playing or coaching for any of the teams.

As far as Arkansas goes...they are just going downhill. They've had their best chances to go to the SEC championship, they are/have lost their best players to other colleges/NFL draft. Their coach/assistants to Ole Miss who's a very young team and going to be really good next season/in the future, you have LSU who's always been dominant and will be for a while, Auburn and Alabama who are good football programs with Tuberville and Saban and then Mississippi St. who is a really undervalued team! It's going to take a hell of a coach to pull Arkansas from the rubbles to be a contender in not only the SEC West, but the SEC and in the Nation.

Quite frankly, I think the Atlanta job would be easier to turn around and get to the playoffs than it would be the Arkansas job in the SEC with Miles, Nutt, Tuberville, and Saban as your rival head coaches.

I too think there was a lot of behind the scenes type of stuff going on for Petrino to leave. It had to be complete chaos and utter misery in the Atlanta clubhouse and I for one don't blame Petrino one bit for bailing out on that sinking ship. Others can all they want, but he stepped into a decent situation and turned way south and he had no way of knowing how pathetic that organization was.

Wolf
12-12-2007, 12:49 AM
I heard reports that Petrino was done anyway

I thought it was unfair due to his star QB decided to dog fight , but also some of the decisions he made(not that i am a coach)...harrington's gameplan against us(quick step drops) made him look good, I just didn't understand the gary coleman love that they had .. I am not saying Joey was a very good qb, I just thought that they might be able to turn him around over gary

bah007
12-12-2007, 12:53 AM
I heard reports that Petrino was done anyway

I thought it was unfair due to his star QB decided to dog fight , but also some of the decisions he made(not that i am a coach)...herrington's gameplan against us(quick step drops) made him look good, I just didn't understand the gary coleman love that they had .. I am not saying Joey was a very good qb, I just thought that they might be able to turn him around over gary

That's the biggest head-scratcher.

Harrington was having a career year (for him) and they keep playing musical QBs with Byron (who is plain terrible).

edo783
12-12-2007, 04:47 AM
they keep playing musical QBs with Byron (who is plain terrible).

Why oh why didn't the Jags keep him? Sure helped us when he was there.

PapaL
12-12-2007, 06:04 AM
But for the Arkansas gig?

When I saw this I immeadiatly thought "He must be going to Michigan", Arkansas never crossed my mind.

The day after your barn was only 2/3 full on a Monday night and your star QB gets 23 months in the pen, your HC leaves for college...it's gotta suck to be a Falcons fan this week.

I thought the same thing. Michigan would seem to have more weapons at it's disposal. Maybe he has some ties to ARK?

It's probably sicked being a Falcons since this time last year. The band wagon is quickly heading down hill and all the wheels just flew off.

Specnatz
12-12-2007, 06:27 AM
Everyone has heard of the movie superbad .........well super dumbass has spoken on the Petrino leaving now so we call rest and forget about the story ............... DeAngelo Hall weighs in like the mental giant he is.

http://sports.espn.go.com/broadband/video/videopage?videoId=3151163&categoryId=2378529

aj.
12-12-2007, 06:49 AM
Petrino lost his locker room back in early October.

http://www.ajc.com/blogs/content/shared-blogs/ajc/sportscolumns/entries/2007/10/07/losing_trust_cr_1.html

This was inevitable ... I just thought it would happen during the off-season ... but I guess there's little piggies to recruit.

One interesting thing Hall said last night on the NFL-N phone interview was how inaccessible Petrino was to the players. He said that if a player(s) had a concern, the message had to go though "two or three guys" before it even reached the coach. That's not good.

Kaiser Toro
12-12-2007, 07:05 AM
Bad fit and bad situation. Petrino leaving is good for all involved in the Vick Tragedy.

OzzO
12-12-2007, 07:44 AM
I thought it was a quick decision till I heard on the radio station this morning (forget which one) they were talking that he tends to have one eye on the game and one eye on the want ads based on his history. Signs the multi-year contract then heads out within a year or so to find the greener pastures.

Arkansas? Really? Anyone want to set the over / under on how long he stays there?

1983 Carroll (GA)
1984 Weber State (GA)
1985-1986 Carroll (OC)
1987-1988 Weber State (WR/TE)
1989 Idaho (QB)
1990-1991 Idaho (OC)
1992-1993 Arizona State (QB)
1994 Nevada (OC/QB)
1995-1997 Utah State (OC)
1998 Louisville (OC)
1999-2000 Jacksonville Jaguars (QB)
2001 Jacksonville Jaguars (OC)
2002 Auburn (OC)
2003-2006 Louisville ('06 - 10 yr contract)
2007 Atlanta Falcons ('07 - 5 yr contract)
2008-present Arkansas

Goldensilence
12-12-2007, 09:33 AM
Bad fit and bad situation. Petrino leaving is good for all involved in the Vick Tragedy.

My thoughts exactly. Bad hire from the start and letting Jim Mora Jr go.

When I heard he was hired i was like are you serious?! I thought he was stupid for leaving Louisville on the doorstep of a national title for a mess that was ATL even before this year.

I think it's best for both sides they part ways. Petrino was way in over his head.

HoustonFrog
12-12-2007, 09:51 AM
DeAngelo was interviewed on ESPN last night and he was funny about it. He said that Petrino didn't seem to be a goof fit for the pros because he talked down to pros like they were 18 and didn't get the professional player. He said he started to change and they thought they turned a corner. He said they had no clue after the last game and that at first he was fine but now he is pissed after seeing him Pig Souey on TV. He was like(paraphrased).."there he is with his family doing that pig souey chant and he bailed on us..if I saw him on the street I'd have nothing to say."

Specnatz
12-12-2007, 10:55 AM
DeAngelo was interviewed on ESPN last night and he was funny about it. He said that Petrino didn't seem to be a goof fit for the pros because he talked down to pros like they were 18 and didn't get the professional player. He said he started to change and they thought they turned a corner. He said they had no clue after the last game and that at first he was fine but now he is pissed after seeing him Pig Souey on TV. He was like(paraphrased).."there he is with his family doing that pig souey chant and he bailed on us..if I saw him on the street I'd have nothing to say."

Well as soon as D Hall becomes a professional about anything then maybe I will take what he said with anything other than him having to open his piehole and act like the stupid little punk he is.

HoustonFrog
12-12-2007, 11:25 AM
Well as soon as D Hall becomes a professional about anything then maybe I will take what he said with anything other than him having to open his piehole and act like the stupid little punk he is.

That is what I was thinking!But it was funny to hear him speak out..lol

Texan_Bill
12-12-2007, 11:37 AM
I said it before, I don't fault Petrino in the slightest. That organization is in shambles - and not by his doing. Staying there would have been akin to choosing death by injection or firing squad - because either way he would have been dead..

Afterall, what does it say to you when the Arkansas job looks more appealing?!?!

:specnatz:

TexasBBQ
12-12-2007, 12:13 PM
Hire Bill Cowher or Matty Schottenheimer!!

Texan_Bill
12-12-2007, 12:25 PM
Hire Bill Cowher or Matty Schottenheimer!!

I think Cowher would wait for that Carolina job to open up, but Schottenheimer might be interesting... They definitely need to hire a recognizable name with NFL saavy...

Red_Zone
12-12-2007, 09:45 PM
I think it's best for both sides they part ways. Petrino was way in over his head.

That's all true, but the way Petrino left is just incomprehensible to me. He had just last friday night told Blank he "had his coach" knowing Blank was going on tv to affirm Bobby's status and then he bails out on him with three games left and then there are all the assitant coaches Petrino brought here to work with him who are left in limbo.
Even his own brother had to leave because of him.

What I don't understand is this, how is Bobby Petrino going to sit down with the parents of prospective players and sound believable when he tells them he's going to be there for their sons he is trying to recruit? Who can ever trust this guy again? Oh wait never mind, I forgot, it's Arkansas.

nunusguy
12-12-2007, 10:12 PM
Arthur Blank is between the proverbial rock & a hard place on this one.
I hear he's a guy that likes control, a lot of it. And far be it from me to blame
him for that. He's the owner and its his financial investment, and he wants to be one of the primary decision makers in important football decisions.
But to land the kind of coach he needs to make a significant reclamation of fan & team support and loyalty, he's gonna have to make a Bill Cower type signing, and that price probably includes the GM-HC dual position. Much more control than Cower would want to part with to a single person.
And this Petrino guy - what a snake. I'm with R_Z about how could a high school kids folks let their son go to Arkansas to play ball, unless its perhaps the childs only opportunity to get a scholarship he needs for financial reasons and thereby an education. Otherwise, best advice might be pass up the 'Hogs for just about any other accredited school that offers financial aid.

Hagar
12-12-2007, 10:45 PM
I wonder what roll McKay has had in running the front office?

From what I understand, McKay did a pretty good job in Tampa.

Is this Blanks' screw up or McKay's?

Also, I want over to the Falcon's message board to snoop around. It seems they really want Mike Singletary for the job. Personally, I don't see it, but who knows.

bah007
12-12-2007, 11:04 PM
I wonder what roll McKay has had in running the front office?

From what I understand, McKay did a pretty good job in Tampa.

Is this Blanks' screw up or McKay's?

Also, I want over to the Falcon's message board to snoop around. It seems they really want Mike Singletary for the job. Personally, I don't see it, but who knows.

Honestly, A guy like Sinletary could turn that clubhouse around instantly.

After the Vick thing, & with DeAngelo Hall spouting off constantly, those guys just need some sort of structure. And I think Singletary would bring that.

nunusguy
12-13-2007, 12:16 PM
Honestly, A guy like Sinletary could turn that clubhouse around instantly.

After the Vick thing, & with DeAngelo Hall spouting off constantly, those guys just need some sort of structure. And I think Singletary would bring that.
Hiring Singletary would instantly solve 2 of Blanks biggest problems.
As a African-American, Singletary would be an automatic hit with the owners
very large group of A-A fans in ATL, many of whom have been aliented by their belief that Michael Vick was railroaded. And in terms of his football background, he is the 100% opposite of the jerk that just left ATL for Arkansas. Petrino has had no experience what so ever in the NFL while MS
is now coaching the league, but more importatly is a HOFer from his playing days with the Chicago Bears. He then would have automatic credibility
with the team members.
The question is, can MS function succesfully as a HC ?

Double Barrel
12-13-2007, 12:29 PM
Pure speculation here, but my gut tells me that there is more to the story than has been revealed.

Texan_Bill
12-13-2007, 12:37 PM
Hiring Singletary would instantly solve 2 of Blanks biggest problems.
As a African-American, Singletary would be an automatic hit with the owners
very large group of A-A fans in ATL, many of whom have been aliented by their belief that Michael Vick was railroaded. And in terms of his football background, he is the 100% opposite of the jerk that just left ATL for Arkansas. Petrino has had no experience what so ever in the NFL while MS
is now coaching the league, but more importatly is a HOFer from his playing days with the Chicago Bears. He then would have automatic credibility
with the team members.
The question is, can MS function succesfully as a HC ?

One reason teams have shied away from MS, is because he doesn't even have a coordinators position under his belt, let alone HC experience (although he holds the title Assistant Head Coach).

Spled
12-13-2007, 04:15 PM
If Petrino was on The Titanic he would have been throwing women and children off life rafts.

TexansSeminole
12-13-2007, 04:30 PM
What a joke of a person.

TexanSam
12-13-2007, 04:37 PM
If Petrino was on The Titanic he would have been throwing women and children off life rafts.

lol...probably true too

Red_Zone
12-13-2007, 09:00 PM
One reason teams have shied away from MS, is because he doesn't even have a coordinators position under his belt, let alone HC experience (although he holds the title Assistant Head Coach).

I would not mind seeing Singletary come to Atlanta as HC at all. He would command instant respect from the team members and would bring the team together as a unit probably more than anyone else out there could. That is about half the battle right now in the ATL. I don't know what kind of schemes he would bring or what kind of assistants he would hire but he would probably be our best bet right now to get us past the difficult spot we're in as a result of the Vick thing and the Petrino thing. I think he would bring discipline and respect to the team and bring fans back to the games.

LonerATO
12-13-2007, 10:25 PM
I feel bad for the falcons and blank getting dropped like that. On the same note there is an article talking about how jerry jones helped setup petrino move to ark

4Texans
12-14-2007, 07:34 AM
How in the world is this guy going to be able to recruit? Yea, maybe he was in a bad situation in Atlanta, but he should have been able to last at least 3 more games and finish out the season. This has to put a "mark" on Arkansas no matter how you look at it. I can't see a son of mine ever playing for this guy.

WWJD
12-14-2007, 08:47 AM
I feel bad for the falcons and blank getting dropped like that. On the same note there is an article talking about how jerry jones helped setup petrino move to ark

Jerry called Arthur Blank and told him that Petrino had been hired at Arkansas...a heads up if you will.....I don't think he had anything to do with the hire. That's what the radio guys were saying anyway. And I believe that's what the Chronicle reported as well yesterday.

Errant Hothy
12-18-2007, 12:58 PM
His character/the way he left seems to be effesting his recruiting:
http://www.nwanews.com/adg/Sports/211040/

Sugar Land, Texas, cornerback Junior Okpara, who orally committed to Arkansas during the summer, switched his pledge to Boston College on Monday evening.

Okpara reopened his recruiting when both Arkansas Coach Houston Nutt and assistant coach Chris Vaughn left to coach at Ole Miss.

Okpara made official visits to Boston College nine days ago and Missouri this past weekend.

"I chose Boston College,"Okpara said," Because I felt out of the three schools, that's where I felt more comfortable at and where I was the best fit."

Okpara said the coaching change at Arkansas hastened his reversal.

"The problem with Arkansas was the reputation of Coach [Bobby ] Petrino leaving during the season,"Okpara said. "And not staying there and his name not being highly thought of like when he was at Louisville. I didn't want to play ball for a coach that had a reputation like that. That kind of drove me away from Arkansas."

Texan_Bill
12-18-2007, 01:11 PM
His character/the way he left seems to be effesting his recruiting:
http://www.nwanews.com/adg/Sports/211040/

Great find.. I don't think this bodes well for Petrino's recruiting season. He had better start winning immediately, or it could get even worse.