PDA

View Full Version : Celebration Penalty

DerekLee1
12-09-2007, 09:13 PM
That "group celebration" penalty is the dumbest-ass rule in the NFL. Andre Davis returns a kickoff for a touchdown, jumps into the stands in celebration, and Dreesen jumps up there with him to congratulate him. Yellow flag, 15 yard penalty on the kickoff.

Rewind 2 weeks. Terrell Owens scores a TD, runs around to the side of the end zone, grabs a spectator's popcorn, tosses it into his own face, strikes a pose and smiles for the camera. No penalty.

It's the most ridiculous thing I've ever seen. Let's discourage celebrating an incredible play with the fans, because they don't matter. I was JUST mentioning after AJ's touchdown in the first quarter how he's the only one who jumps into the stands any more after a score. Then Davis and Dreesen do it AND GET PENALIZED. Now they'll probably never do it again. Nice job, NFL. Take away the fans' enjoyment.

No Fun League, indeed. :soapbox:

StarStruck
12-09-2007, 09:50 PM
I have a big problem with the penalties, no matter who draws one. These players are the best in the sport, risk life threatening injuries every time they are on the field, and someone who if lucky might have played flag football decides on what a player cannot do once he scores. I realize that football is a business, but it is also a game, and a game should be fun. If a player's personality is such that he scores, hand the ball to the ref, then so be it, but at the same time if another wants to celebrate and get the crowd into it, then it's all good with me. After all, it's the players out there on the field that is creating the jobs for those coming up with the rules.

GuerillaBlack
12-09-2007, 09:56 PM
That was a really dumb call. I was like "WTF!", because neither players did anything wrong.

bah007
12-09-2007, 10:04 PM
Only Chad Johnson can get away with celebrations now.

And it seems as if Green Bay & Denver are the only teams allowed to jump into the stands. Dont ask me why.

mexican_texan
12-09-2007, 10:28 PM
A lot of guys from the bench went down to the endzone to celebrate, that was the problem. Dreesen was just the first guy to do anything wrong.

Texanmike02
12-09-2007, 11:41 PM
Not saying I agree with the penalty. I think the rule is dumb. But the rule is that you cannot have more than one person participate in a celebration. That's why the flag was thrown.

Initially the rule said no excessive celebrations and it was too subjective. So they decided to make the rule no "group" celebrations. Which obviously doesn't work. I personally think they should limit the time not the action. I miss the days of the electric slide etc.

Mike

ATX
12-09-2007, 11:46 PM
Yeah, I thought I heard the commentators say something about only one person can leap into the stands. Dreesen jumped up after Davis, thus drawing the penalty.

Showtime100
12-09-2007, 11:52 PM
I blame the Redskins' Fun Bunch for the rule, and the NFL for making the potentially good rule a joke.

barrett
12-10-2007, 12:23 AM
I blame the Texans for scoring touchdowns. We've got to work on that.

PapaL
12-10-2007, 05:15 AM
The rule is simple - One Person can jump into the stands. Any more - it's a pentaly. Learn the rules or keep your arse on the bench.

Yankee_In_TX
12-10-2007, 08:31 AM
I didn't mind the penalty. In fact, I would like to see the Texans start getting at least 5 or 6 excessive celebration penalties every game...

That's what I said the second the flag was flown "I don't care, give me 7!" :texflag:

SheTexan
12-10-2007, 09:02 AM
That's what I said the second the flag was flown "I don't care, give me 7!" :texflag:

That's exactly the way I felt!! Who cares!! Take the 15 yd penalty and celebrate the hell out of a TD!!

nflnutswife
12-10-2007, 12:10 PM
No Fun League and getting more UN-Entertaining with every game! Yes, I PAY to go and watch a football game. and be entertained, I do not approve of using any prop except the ball itself, but for Goodness sakes, a couple seconds of celebrating what we "GO to SEE" and players get PAID to do. . .(touchdowns) should NOT be a reason for penalties.
By the way, don't care at all about the bengals, but LOVE Chad Johnson for his take on his antics!:texflag:

dskillz
12-10-2007, 02:49 PM
Only Chad Johnson can get away with celebrations now.

And it seems as if Green Bay & Denver are the only teams allowed to jump into the stands. Dont ask me why.

Chad gets penalized too. The celebration rule is going to have to be changed in the off-season. In the Denver game one of their players started "Making it snow" by throwing snow on the fans after his TD by throwing snow in the air. The fans loved it, everyone had a good time, but the officials called a 15 yard penalty. I am sure the rule will be changed or atleast clarified in the off-season.

bah007
12-10-2007, 03:19 PM
Chad gets penalized too. The celebration rule is going to have to be changed in the off-season. In the Denver game one of their players started "Making it snow" by throwing snow on the fans after his TD by throwing snow in the air. The fans loved it, everyone had a good time, but the officials called a 15 yard penalty. I am sure the rule will be changed or atleast clarified in the off-season.

Yea that was Brandon Marshall.

I really dont care about TD celebrations.

I just dont like the guys that think the celebration is more important than the touchdown (Chad Johnson, TO...)

DerekLee1
12-10-2007, 03:20 PM

The thing is, that penalty set them up in great field position after the ensuing kickoff, allowing them to score a TD and keep it close. Unsportsmanlike celebrations are one thing, but this was obviously an unplanned, unrehearsed, straight from the heart, spur-of-the-moment exhibit of exhilaration. To be penalized for something like that really hurts the momentum of the game and takes away some enjoyment of the moment by the fans. Unsportsmanlike celebrations should ALWAYS be a judgment call on the officials' part based on the circumstances, not a requirement by the NFL.