PDA

View Full Version : Justice:Sage good, Mario better, Texans victorious.

Wolf
12-09-2007, 06:25 PM
Sage good, Mario better, Texans victorious.

Sage Rosenfels stepped in for Matt Schaub and played about as well as any quarterback has ever played for the Texans. Okay, that's not saying much, but it's the only reference point we've got.

Gary Kubiak was more aggressive than usual in his play-calling. He pretty much gave up trying to run the ball at the beginning and allowed Rosenfels to throw it. Rosenfels responded with three TD passes.

Schaub is unlikely to play again this season, and the Texans apparently will enter next season with two quarterbacks that seem close in terms of talent and productivity.

I don't know if the coaches will agree after they look at the video, but it appeared to be the best game Mario Williams has played. It was maybe the first time that he seemed to be within range of making a play almost every snap. He's getting close to being a guy opposing quarterbacks will have to account for on almost every play.

Say what you will about Gary Kubiak, but his teams have always played hard. That's one of the measuring sticks for a competent NFL coach. Even with a roster decimated by injuries, the Texans went out and beat a team contending for a playoff spot.

http://blogs.chron.com/sportsjustice/archives/2007/12/sage_was_good_m.html

Texans Horror
12-09-2007, 06:33 PM
The whole defensive line looked the way I had hoped it would have looked the past six or seven weeks. It's a young team with a lot of injuries, yet they pulled this one out of their ass. Great game.

Defensive secondary I expected to get thrown to the wolves and completely run over, yet they had a productive day. Kudos to them.

Second Honeymoon
12-09-2007, 06:38 PM
facing an inexperienced NFL QB didn't hurt either. I just can't wait for the day when we can beat competent QBs.

I think Richard Smith sees the writing on the wall and knows he has to turn that defense around or he is gone. He blitzed more especially between the tackles. We blitzed more than we ever have since the first year or two of the franchise.

ot - The Patriots totally owned the loudmouth Steelers free safety who guaranteed the win. Brady got in his face immediately upon his 1st of 4 TD throws.

aj.
12-09-2007, 07:54 PM
Say what you will about Gary Kubiak, but his teams have always played hard. That's one of the measuring sticks for a competent NFL coach. Even with a roster decimated by injuries, the Texans went out and beat a team contending for a playoff spot.

These are the words I find most meaningful... I said basically the same thing to several people several times today.

Showtime100
12-09-2007, 07:58 PM
Pretty glowing words coming from a guy like Justice. Somebody got some last night.

disaacks3
12-09-2007, 08:10 PM
Today was 1/2 & 1/2 on Football Rules of thumb.

"You have to establish the Run to setup the Pass" - B.S. Go back & count how many plays the Texans passed BEFORE their first run of the day.

"Any Secondary looks weak when there's no Pass Rush" - Even our Duct-Tape & Chewing-Gum Secondary looked "OK" today due to a consistently strong pass rush.

I personally wouldn't have bet a nickel on our chances today, but the game is played between the lines & not in Vegas (except for the O/U in the NBA). The Texans took one they shouldn't have today. It may not make up for losing the ones we should win, but it sure felt good.

Marcus
12-09-2007, 08:31 PM
The whole defensive line looked the way I had hoped it would have looked the past six or seven weeks. It's a young team with a lot of injuries, yet they pulled this one out of their ass. Great game.

Defensive secondary I expected to get thrown to the wolves and completely run over, yet they had a productive day. Kudos to them.

The two are not mutually exclusive. If the defensive line gets pressure on the QB, the secondary shines, and if the defensive line gives the QB all day to throw, the secondary sucks.

You can try to convince me different, but you won't be successful.:)

Wolf
12-09-2007, 08:36 PM
The two are not mutually exclusive. If the defensive line gets pressure on the QB, the secondary shines, and if the defensive line gives the QB all day to throw, the secondary sucks.

You can try to convince me different, but you won't be successful.:)

I kinda think it is 2 peas in a pod

you have to get pressure from the D-line, however you do need to have some cornerbacks that can hold their own and not give a 10 yard cusion where the QB can take 3 step drops and hit slant routes all day..that hurts our D-line and pass rush.