PDA

View Full Version : Darius Walker, today's performance?

Hardcore Texan
12-09-2007, 05:34 PM
Today against the Bucs, I thought he looked pretty darn good. Dayne, for all the criticism he gets, has been productive the last few games and when he went out I was very concerned. But Walker look pretty good.

I saw him miss a couple of blitz pick-ups but on those plays Sage did a good job of getting the ball out. I didn't see enough pass protection from him to draw a conclusion, but I plan to re-watch the game and that will be one aspect I check out.

He had a pretty nice burst through the hole, took some hard hits and showed and has decent hands on the couple of screen plays. All in all, nice showing by the rookie. Only more reps and time will tell, but as thin as we are at RB it was nice to see him do something positive with his opportunity today.

Anyone else notice some good things or weak areas of his game?

alphajoker
12-09-2007, 05:42 PM
He had 81 yards of total offense today and adds a new dimension to the offense that we really haven't had all year in terms of a receiving back. I'm looking forward to see him play some more.

buddyboy
12-09-2007, 06:07 PM
Hey, we all know we can't use the term "total offense" unless we're talking about Reggie Bush.

Texanmike02
12-09-2007, 06:14 PM
Walker was nice to watch but he's not much more than a 3rd down back. Running he was honestly less than impressive on most plays. There were two or three that he made nice cuts but other than that I wasn't that impressed. Catching the ball out of the backfield he was much more impressive.

Mike

GuerillaBlack
12-09-2007, 06:17 PM
Hopefully he does good on Thursday night. I think he has the potential to be somewhat like D. Davis.

Brando
12-09-2007, 06:23 PM
Hopefully he does good on Thursday night. I think he has the potential to be somewhat like D. Davis.

Yeah it's ironic that he picked #37, sure did remind me of DD today.

Errant Hothy
12-09-2007, 06:47 PM
Yeah it's ironic that he picked #37, sure did remind me of DD today.

Sadly, that does not excite me too much.

Brando
12-09-2007, 06:48 PM
Sadly, that does not excite me too much.

DD had some good games though. He just wasn't a feature back.

GP
12-09-2007, 06:51 PM
Today against the Bucs, I thought he looked pretty darn good. Dayne, for all the criticism he gets, has been productive the last few games and when he went out I was very concerned. But Walker look pretty good.

I saw him miss a couple of blitz pick-ups but on those plays Sage did a good job of getting the ball out. I didn't see enough pass protection from him to draw a conclusion, but I plan to re-watch the game and that will be one aspect I check out.

He had a pretty nice burst through the hole, took some hard hits and showed and has decent hands on the couple of screen plays. All in all, nice showing by the rookie. Only more reps and time will tell, but as thin as we are at RB it was nice to see him do something positive with his opportunity today.

Anyone else notice some good things or weak areas of his game?

He looked good coming out of the I-formation, as the commentators mentioned he had looked in the I at Notre Dame.

I did see that it appeared he is not quick or explosive when he starts upfield after a catch. It looks like a mini-Dayne whereby he kinda' pauses or needs a second to get started. But he looks different from Dayne in the idea that once he does get going, he has better balance and vision. Dayne kinda' starts wobbling (like a fullback does) if he tries to make cuts on the run, in full stride, but I think DW is a cross between Itchy and Dayne.

Errant Hothy
12-09-2007, 06:53 PM
DD had some good games though. He just wasn't a feature back.

My biggest issue was that he was never a threat to take a ball to the endzone regardless of down and distance. Or a home-run hitter he was not.

Texans Horror
12-09-2007, 07:30 PM
He seemed pretty quick to hitting the holes, though. Maybe that's cause I'm comparing him to Dayne...but I can't complain. Walker played a helluva lot better than Ahman Green played today.

Hardcore Texan
12-10-2007, 10:20 PM
He seemed pretty quick to hitting the holes, though. Maybe that's cause I'm comparing him to Dayne...but I can't complain. Walker played a helluva lot better than Ahman Green played today.

He looked quick to me too, and I thought the same thing that my observation could be influenced by Dayne.

beerlover
12-10-2007, 10:55 PM
he looks like a good long term canidate to stay in some type of rotational role here with the Texans on the cheap. what I liked about his game was ball security, he doesn't look like the kind of back who turns the ball over & on this team thats very important. he also shows good vision, hands & determination, overall better total package than Vernand Morency :)

tulexan
12-10-2007, 11:22 PM
I wouldn't mind seeing a RB rotation of Darius Walker, Chris Taylor, and stud RB acquired via FA or draft

Rex King
12-11-2007, 01:05 AM
I'm not convinced yet. Echemandu had one good game as well, better running the ball, and hasn't been heard from since. If Taylor comes back healthy, I'd still like to see us get a guy in the draft, and I'd be more inclined to keep Dayne than Walker. Dayne has shown he's capable of carrying the load for short stints; Walker hasn't yet.

BigBull17
12-11-2007, 01:09 AM
I wouldn't mind seeing a RB rotation of Darius Walker, Chris Taylor, and stud RB acquired via FA or draft

And Dayne. He would be the starter, with those guys filling roles around him. He is still Mr. Dependable in our backfield.

bah007
12-11-2007, 10:08 AM
he looks like a good long term canidate to stay in some type of rotational role here with the Texans on the cheap. what I liked about his game was ball security, he doesn't look like the kind of back who turns the ball over & on this team thats very important. he also shows good vision, hands & determination, overall better total package than Vernand Morency :)

Basically a poor man's Mike Hart.

Andrew6
12-11-2007, 10:17 AM
I look at it like this, Darius Walker gained yards on ALMOST every play he had the ball. He did not turn over the ball and made some plays when we needed him to. I think for him doing that he should be aloud to play in the Denver game to see what else he can do.

tulexan
12-11-2007, 10:29 AM
And Dayne. He would be the starter, with those guys filling roles around him. He is still Mr. Dependable in our backfield.

If we got a running back like Michael Turner, Julius Jones, or a 1st round running back, Dayne wouldn't be necessary

Leahmic223
12-11-2007, 11:10 AM
I like him...does he answer our question at RB...no maybe he can prove himslef in the next few weeks.

But I think last game he showed that he can be a backup for a lot of teams and definitely a 3rd stringer.