PDA

View Full Version : Did anyone see Earl Campbell....

Chance_C
12-08-2007, 01:07 PM
On "In my own words" on Fox Sports Southwest? Earl Campbell was my first true sports here, and remains so today. I would have liked to see the whole thing, but wasn't able to. The little bit I did see made my eyes well up pretty good, I hate to see the shape that he's in. Anyway here's to remembering Earl, and the great moments he gave our city. I guess I should say your city, but I'm a Houston sports nut what can I say?

Chance_C
12-08-2007, 01:08 PM
On "In my own words" on Fox Sports Southwest? Earl Campbell was my first true sports here, and remains so today. I would have liked to see the whole thing, but wasn't able to. The little bit I did see made my eyes well up pretty good, I hate to see the shape that he's in. Anyway here's to remembering Earl, and the great moments he gave our city. I guess I should say your city, but I'm a Houston sports nut what can I say?

Mods move this to the appropriate thread if needed. Although I don't think we should regulate Earl to NFL talk.

Speedy
12-08-2007, 03:58 PM
I see that avatar someone here has of Earl destroying that Rams player, and it's still as awesome as it was the day I saw it live. It takes a minute or so to load for me sometimes and I get to see it in slow motion and that Rams player's body just collapses like you just let go of an untied balloon. AWESOME!!

To this day, I've still never seen a back with that much power to go with the speed. I hear old timers say Jim Brown was like that, but I never saw Brown play.

I went to the 50 greatest Houston sports heroes thingy when the Super Bowl was here and it was a little difficult seeing Earl struggle like that. The eyes were definitely getting watery.

Showtime100
12-08-2007, 04:09 PM
The Ram linebacker was Isiah Robertson, love to see that play all the way to the end when his jersey disintegrates.

I saw the segment where he talks about being a linebacker in HS and the coach needed a running back. Couldn't stick around to see more, but would love to have.

Wolf
12-08-2007, 04:20 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vm1hK_4ky1o

earl in '79 versus miami

4Texans
12-08-2007, 04:31 PM

earl in '79 versus miami

That has to be the most memoriable NFL game I ever saw. Thanks for posting that link.

Earl was a special player!

Hardcore Texan
12-08-2007, 05:21 PM

I feel the exact same way. Earl was so AWESOME!

Adrian Peterson reminds me a LITTLE bit of Earl, he is very fast and runs with a lot of power....different body types, similiar style. Not saying he is nearly as durable or in his class, but time will tell.

Wolf
12-08-2007, 06:14 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TGUYLbsf514&feature=related

another one sounds like NFL films

atxlaurie
12-08-2007, 07:03 PM
That link you posted Wolf was awesome. Thanks. Did ya hear Cosell say "the Houston Oilers are America's Team"? That's a good one. Whatever to the cowgirls. Ha!

Dread-Head
12-08-2007, 07:32 PM

earl in '79 versus miami

Monday Night Football. Earl and the Oilers were facing Bob Griesie and the Dolphins as Dandy Don Meredith, Frank Gifford and the late great Howard Cossell looked on. Earl played like a man possessed amid a flurry of blue and white pom-poms and one of the most annoying fight-songs EVER written. Bum Phillips stood on the sidelines in his trademark Stetson and I ignored my 10:00 lights out (sorry for disobeying ya mom) to catch every second of it. The Love ya Blue Era...had begun. I remember it vaguely.
:wild:

aj.
12-08-2007, 07:33 PM
I found a post I made two years ago about that night: (it was November '78 not '79)

http://texanstalk.com/forums/showpost.php?p=214102&postcount=18

The only similarity between Adrian Peterson and Earl is that they are from the same general area of East Texas.

Showtime100
12-08-2007, 07:59 PM
I seem to remember one of their offensive linemen getting fighting mad when the writing was on the wall they were going to lose that game. I'm sure it wasn't Larry Little, but it took about five guys to restrain him from whoever he wanted a piece of. The Dolphins had an attitude back then like Houston couldn't possibly beat them. I guess they learned different in the playoffs.

Speedy
12-08-2007, 09:33 PM
Bum Phillips stood on the sidelines in his trademark Stetson and I ignored my 10:00 lights out (sorry for disobeying ya mom) to catch every second of it. The Love ya Blue Era...had begun. I remember it vaguely.
:wild:
Bum never wore his hat indoors.

cuppacoffee
12-09-2007, 10:55 AM
Monday Night Football. Earl and the Oilers were facing Bob Griesie and the Dolphins as Dandy Don Meredith, Frank Gifford and the late great Howard Cossell looked on. Earl played like a man possessed amid a flurry of blue and white pom-poms and one of the most annoying fight-songs EVER written. Bum Phillips stood on the sidelines in his trademark Stetson and I ignored my 10:00 lights out (sorry for disobeying ya mom) to catch every second of it. The Love ya Blue Era...had begun. I remember it vaguely.

I guess it's all in the ear of the beholder.

I loved the song and would stand and recite every word when it was played during the games. :yahoo: .. Back when I could afford season tickets. Still have my 45 rpm recording.

I read the Chronics story in Sundays paper about the luv ya blue era. It made me wonder, will the Texans ever reach that level? Will fans ever greet them at home with such zeal, even after losing a game? :wow:

Here's hoping...:gotexans1

:coffee:

Spled
12-09-2007, 03:22 PM
This UT highlight is a classic Earl run.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tdvVaTbwMrE&feature=related

painekiller
12-09-2007, 04:38 PM
Bum never wore his hat indoors.

He did Earl's rookie season, or at least part of it. Then he made an announcement that his momma taught him to not wear a hat in doors and the dome was indoors so he was not going to wear it in there anymore.

austintexanite
12-09-2007, 04:58 PM
I've seen it a couple of times, and I get so sad when I see him speak and him not able to walk for great lengths.

Showtime100
12-09-2007, 05:46 PM
He did Earl's rookie season, or at least part of it. Then he made an announcement that his momma taught him to not wear a hat in doors and the dome was indoors so he was not going to wear it in there anymore.

Probably. You can still see that in East texas. Woe to the person who walked into my grandmother's house wearing a hat. Bum is the same way. Never wore a hat in the Dome.

powerfuldragon
12-10-2007, 10:03 AM
did anyone else see the thing with earl and bob costas? f.ing great.