PDA

View Full Version : Kenny Phillips to enter the draft

beerlover
12-07-2007, 02:50 AM
http://www.miamiherald.com/606/story/335583.html

''I definitely agree that if you're [projected] in the top 15 you should go,'' Phillips said Sunday. ``It's not every day that guys get the opportunity to live out the dream and play in the NFL.''

Phillips was asked what he would do if he were projected to go in the last half of the first round.

''Well, then, you just have a decision to make,'' he said. ``People would still love to be in your position. We don't get these opportunities every day, so you definitely have to take advantage of them.

''I'm probably thinking just like Coach Shannon talked about, top 15 -- but I probably could stretch it,'' he said, laughing.

kastofsna
12-07-2007, 03:37 AM
was never as impressed with him as much as his talent indicated, but he'll probably be great in the NFL. just not coached up right.

nunusguy
12-07-2007, 06:31 AM
was never as impressed with him as much as his talent indicated, but he'll probably be great in the NFL. just not coached up right.

I don't care if some teams like the Redskins use top 10 picks on safetys, I still
think the position can be filled nicely with a lower round, even much lower round pick.
What's your thoughts on the relavance of position as a factor in Draft picks Kastofsna, or do you think its all about the individual player and his position is one of irrelavance ?

tulexan
12-07-2007, 08:23 AM
If he's available and a quality LT isn't, we should grab him.

rollinstone18
12-07-2007, 08:29 AM
Does anyone think Phillips' down year could be attributed to a new coaching staff?

He's still probably my first choice since we won't have a chance at McFadden.

He sounds like a guy the Texans would have no reservations (http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/college/hurricanes/sfl-flspum10nboct10,0,3279523.story) about.

Ole Miss Texan
12-07-2007, 10:16 AM
People can say he played poorly this year all they want, but quite frankly, sometimes its hard to look good when the rest of your team is playing horrible. These Canes aren't the same ones of years past.

I like the fact he's not a loud mouthing show boating kind of guy from Miami. Come to think of it, he reminds me a lot of AJ.

beerlover
12-07-2007, 10:44 AM
Kenny Phillips or Reggie Nelson

Brandon420tx
12-07-2007, 11:00 AM
People can say he played poorly this year all they want, but quite frankly, sometimes its hard to look good when the rest of your team is playing horrible. These Canes aren't the same ones of years past.

I like the fact he's not a loud mouthing show boating kind of guy from Miami. Come to think of it, he reminds me a lot of AJ.

Sold! When does he sign the contract?

Ole Miss Texan
12-07-2007, 11:05 AM
Sold! When does he sign the contract?

haha, yea exactly. I should correct myself and say "Sounds like" instead of 'reminds me of'.

Second Honeymoon
12-07-2007, 11:40 AM
This is one of the guys that should be available with our 1st Round pick. it's gonna be doubtful that a LT worthy of our 1st Round pick will still be there when we pick. Baker and Long will both be long gone by the time we pick around 10-15. Ryan Clady out of Boise State has just too many questions and we all know what happened the last time we drafted a football player in the 1st Round from a 2nd rate college....Carr happened. We need to get guys who played top competition in college so there is less of a chance that he will be outclassed when he makes the jump to the NFL.

Maybe we can wait till our 3rd Round pick and hope that Tony Hills out of Texas may be available. I doubt Kubiak would smart enough to draft a longhorn anyway. We all saw what he did with VY....

If we could get Kenny in the 1st Round and then draft another OL with our 3rd Round pick, I would be happy with our draft. We could then use our later picks to draft a Center and some speed at linebacker. As long as we resign Dre Davis, I don't think we need to draft a WR.

Unless some stud RB is there when its time for our 1st Round pick, I say we go with Phillips and FINALLY get a FS worth a flip to play for the Texans. Felix Jones and Antoine Cason would also be good alternatives with our 1st Round pick. Any of those 3 guys would make me happy, to be honest. Maybe Dan Connor would be a good fit and then we could move Demeco to OLB. We have some youth but we need some new blood...fo sho

kastofsna
12-07-2007, 01:13 PM
I don't care if some teams like the Redskins use top 10 picks on safetys, I still
think the position can be filled nicely with a lower round, even much lower round pick.
What's your thoughts on the relavance of position as a factor in Draft picks Kastofsna, or do you think its all about the individual player and his position is one of irrelavance ?
any position can be filled with lower picks. you should never have a predetermined idea for where certain positions should go, because these days, teams aren't going to just sit and wait for players to drop, they will grab them, even if it's a little high based on the general predetermined census.

beerlover
12-07-2007, 01:21 PM

only if he is the bpa :cool:

threetoedpete
12-07-2007, 06:06 PM
What I'm going to enjoy is the paradiam shifting our last four games. I've been warning about this day would come one year for the last four years. Well guess what ? It's here. Well if we're lucky Washington will jump us and take the choice off our board.

The1ApplePie
12-08-2007, 10:19 AM
With huge holes at RB, CB, and LT, I don't see using a high pick on a safety. If Dunta was healthy, maybe, but he will probably be gone for 2008.

If we start leaning more to the 3-4, then Conner or the kid from Ohio State could be the pick.

Bubbajwp
12-08-2007, 11:10 AM
With huge holes at RB, CB, and LT, I don't see using a high pick on a safety. If Dunta was healthy, maybe, but he will probably be gone for 2008.

If we start leaning more to the 3-4, then Conner or the kid from Ohio State could be the pick.

Even if Dunta is going to miss next season I think our Safties are weaker than our CB's

tulexan
12-08-2007, 12:04 PM

When was the last time we had a reliable true free safety?

beerlover
12-08-2007, 12:45 PM
When was the last time we had a reliable true free safety?

the same could be said for other positions you know :cool:

threetoedpete
12-08-2007, 01:27 PM
No fricken kidding. We have this argument every off seaon. They take the RB, FS...never taken one high. They won't get your 48 million QB in a wheel chiar. Porous o-line will. You tell me. How many more hits does MS have left in the tank ?

Rex King
12-08-2007, 01:52 PM
I think Will Demps has played pretty well. He's more a short term solution, but I don't know that Kenny Phillips would be any better his rookie year.

beerlover
12-08-2007, 06:46 PM
the only absolute is that the Texans select the absolute best player available. its virtually a given that whoever it is will upgrade that position & overall talent while addressing needs. :cool:

Goldensilence
12-09-2007, 06:42 PM
Quietly voting for a "big uglies" draft.

painekiller
12-10-2007, 12:13 AM
I like Demps and I would sign him to a long term contract and quick. Nice thing about Demps and Phillips to is they can play either safety spot. So i will not cry if we draft Phillips, but I want a OLT that is ready to play.

BSofA04
12-10-2007, 01:24 AM
Philips would be a great pick in the draft but I REALLY believe that a LT is much more important at this point than a FS.

But if we pick in the middle of the first round, will this fanbase be able to handle the 3rd best LT in the draft? Jake Long and Sam Baker will be gone in the top 12 picks no doubt. I could see a very valid argument that the quality of talent at FS is much better than a OT based on our drafting position. Ahhh...decisions, decisions!

Season's not over yet though, I'm going to enjoy these last three games.

YoungTexanFan
12-10-2007, 02:16 AM
Philips would be a great pick in the draft but I REALLY believe that a LT is much more important at this point than a FS.

But if we pick in the middle of the first round, will this fanbase be able to handle the 3rd best LT in the draft? Jake Long and Sam Baker will be gone in the top 12 picks no doubt. I could see a very valid argument that the quality of talent at FS is much better than a OT based on our drafting position. Ahhh...decisions, decisions!

Season's not over yet though, I'm going to enjoy these last three games.

Jake Long is going to make me laugh come draft day. Some team is going to take him early, and I am going to just laugh. He reminds me of Todd Wade. He isn't that good, just hyped. Baker has the talent, but needs to put it together. The best OT in this draft is Clady.

threetoedpete
12-10-2007, 02:36 AM
Jake Long is going to make me laugh come draft day. Some team is going to take him early, and I am going to just laugh. He reminds me of Todd Wade. He isn't that good, just hyped. Baker has the talent, but needs to put it together. The best OT in this draft is Clady.

All I know is the board is loaded with them. The scouts can't find one or two in this group...that there thingy is going to be a sin. Clady is not Joe Thoms...but he isn't chopped liver either. I know Loadholdt can block on the right side. Rathers I'd like Oher to declare. He can play the left and cover LG. But Loadholdt fills hole. I think Oher has the most upside of the group of OLT canidtes. They Take Reggie Smith or the Kansas Cb after a move down and gamble on the o-line in the third or fourth...I won't gripe bout it. Just make the sixth year they would have lived with good enough.

YoungTexanFan
12-10-2007, 02:48 AM
All I know is the board is loaded with them. The scouts can't find one or two in this group...that there thingy is going to be a sin. Clady is not Joe Thoms...but he isn't chopped liver either. I know Loadholdt can block on the right side. Rathers I'd like Oher to declare. He can play the left and cover LG. But Loadholdt fills hole. I think Oher has the most upside of the group of OLT canidtes. They Take Reggie Smith or the Kansas Cb after a move down and gamble on the o-line in the third or fourth...I won't gripe bout it. Just make the sixth year they would have lived with good enough.

There isn't a Joe Thomas type LT in the draft. There are some solid LT's that will be ok at the NFL level. Oher is a OG to me. Clady is the best OT in the draft. Gaither, if he hadn't screwed up last year, would easily have been the best LT in this draft. Gaither could be better than Thomas, and he is at least physically, but I don't know how he will turn out due to the other stuff.

beerlover
12-10-2007, 04:04 PM
with a strong finish to the end of the season if Kenny Phillips was still available it would create a real conundrum take bpa & upgrade one position or accept a sweet trade offer & upgrade two positions LT/RB.

badboy
12-11-2007, 01:48 PM
Alex Boone should be available day two. Anyone rate him as a Texan?

scourge
12-11-2007, 02:20 PM
I would prefer a LT, but I don't wanna reach for one... and the only one I really prefer is Clady. If not LT, then Phillips is my first choice. I have been half-ass following his since the end of last season and I think he would be a great SS for us.

Demps and/or Hutchins would be fine with me as FS for next year with Phillips playing the part of a Bob Sanders/LaRon Landry/Ed Reed... a fast, hard-hitting, run stuffing, cover SS. At least, thats what all of them were until they made the recent transition to FS.

rollinstone18
12-11-2007, 03:18 PM
I would prefer a LT, but I don't wanna reach for one... and the only one I really prefer is Clady. If not LT, then Phillips is my first choice. I have been half-ass following his since the end of last season and I think he would be a great SS for us.

Demps and/or Hutchins would be fine with me as FS for next year with Phillips playing the part of a Bob Sanders/LaRon Landry/Ed Reed... a fast, hard-hitting, run stuffing, cover SS. At least, thats what all of them were until they made the recent transition to FS.

Yeah, it's hard to argue against having a Demps/Phillips combination. Plus, depending on how many juniors declare, this draft could be deep on OTs. Kubiak likely could find a LT suitor in the 3rd.

LonerATO
12-11-2007, 06:21 PM
I would take long over clady any day

Ole Miss Texan
12-11-2007, 06:47 PM
Having Phillips and Demps as our starting safeties would be...AWESOME.

austintexanite
12-11-2007, 07:21 PM
Need a freaking left tackle or center with our first pick, then fill in at RB, S, LB.

bah007
12-11-2007, 09:39 PM

Long COULD play LT in the NFL but he looks like a RT prospect at this point.

rollinstone18
12-12-2007, 12:34 AM
Long COULD play LT in the NFL but he looks like a RT prospect at this point.

I never understood how or why people project LT vs. RT. Staley and Brown were suppose to be can't miss LT prospects last year. Both play RT now.

bah007
12-12-2007, 12:37 AM
I never understood how or why people project LT vs. RT. Staley and Brown were suppose to be can't miss LT prospects last year. Both play RT now.

Well Brown plays RT because Leinart is left-handed, thus he is still protecting his blind side.

kastofsna
12-12-2007, 01:36 AM
people confuse LT with being a better tackle than the RT. not true. the LT generally just has to face the overall better DE (who is pretty much always going to be on the left, regardless of the QB's blindisde), and they don't have to be "better" than the RT, they just have to be more suited for the abilities of what usually turns out to be a bigger, faster guy. Brown is an RT because he's perfect for the role; big, immovable, smashing in the running game.

Jake Long is along the same lines. his feet aren't as fleety as you want from the position, and he's a hippy guy who won't be able to handle the more aggressive speed rushers in the NFL. he's perfect for the RT, though.

YoungTexanFan
12-12-2007, 02:13 AM

Why? Explain yourself and your reasoning.

The1ApplePie
12-12-2007, 09:52 AM
Not sure what the big deal about Phillips is. He isn't a physical freak like Landry, he isn't a hitter like Williams, and he isn't a ball hawk like Nelson.

Brandon420tx
12-12-2007, 10:13 AM
Most of use just want to see the safety issue resolved once and for all. I think Will Demps has something to say about that though.

badboy
12-12-2007, 10:42 AM
Most of use just want to see the safety issue resolved once and for all. I think Will Demps has something to say about that though.When is he going to say it?

Brandon420tx
12-12-2007, 10:55 AM
Hopefully when he starts picking off some passes. But I do like his de-cleaters on hopeful WRs.

TexansLucky13
12-12-2007, 11:05 AM

Agreed.

threetoedpete
12-12-2007, 01:40 PM
Well, fwiw, I think Ike Hillard just gave his vote to Demps.

badboy
12-13-2007, 02:00 PM
Would it not be sweet if Demps could be the FS starter & handle it? We get a starter this season in Okoye and Bennett and if Demps works out, great. Will be interesting to see how Von Hutchins does rest of year @ CB.