PDA

View Full Version : Black Ref allegedly calls Ravens CB "Boy" in last nights game

nunusguy
12-04-2007, 05:26 PM
"I will be calling my agent in the morning and sending my complaint," the 31-year-old cornerback added. "I have a wife and three kids. Don't call me a boy. Don't call me a boy on the field during a game because I said, 'You've never played football before."'
http://www.wbaltv.com/sports/14773223/detail.html

Texan_Bill
12-04-2007, 05:27 PM
I heard something briefly mentioned on the radio this morning but was waiting for some more details to come out about it.... Thanks!!

Texan_Bill
12-04-2007, 05:28 PM
"I will be calling my agent in the morning and sending my complaint," the 31-year-old cornerback added. "I have a wife and three kids. Don't call me a boy. Don't call me a boy on the field during a game because I said, 'You've never played football before."' http://www.wbaltv.com/sports/14773223/detail.html

Apparently Rolle was wrong:

The 53-year-old McKinnely played in the NFL as an offensive tackle from 1976 to 1982. He spent five seasons with Atlanta and one each with the Rams and Chicago.

(Snippet from the article).

axman40
12-04-2007, 05:31 PM
"In a game of this magnitude, you don't make that kind of call," Rolle said. "Let the players decide the outcome of the game. You can crown them champions now. I'm not taking anything away from them. They are a great team. They're not asking the refs to help them, but it's just an empty feeling"
Refs are paid to call what they see NOTHING else should matter!
:cowboy1:

Tedc
12-04-2007, 05:32 PM
Oh boy.

Dread-Head
12-04-2007, 05:33 PM
Older black men call younger black men "boy" when they're upset with them. Hell, my nephew is 20 years old and I still call him boy when I have a beef with him. This sounds like a young man being pissed at an older man and trying to make a bigger deal out of it than need be. Punk needs to have respect for his elders anyway.

The1ApplePie
12-04-2007, 05:33 PM
Suggs talking about the NFL rigging games for the Pats was better.

Double Barrel
12-04-2007, 06:14 PM
"I will be calling my agent in the morning and sending my complaint," the 31-year-old cornerback added. "I have a wife and three kids. Don't call me a boy. Don't call me a boy on the field during a game because I said, 'You've never played football before."'
http://www.wbaltv.com/sports/14773223/detail.html

Dude needs some cheese to go with that whine.

I'm glad the Ravens lost. They are a dirty football team and I'm tired of hearing them complain about a vast conspiracy against them to cover up the fact that they just suck.

gwallaia
12-04-2007, 06:35 PM
At least he did not call him pork chop.

Bulluck53
12-04-2007, 06:37 PM
I was really uncomfortable with all of this until I learned the ref was also a black man. But then I thought of the black cop in 'Boyz N Da Hood' (or whoever they spelled it). I still don't like it.

Specnatz
12-04-2007, 06:53 PM

HAHA that is freakin hilarious. Rep

I was really uncomfortable with all of this until I learned the ref was also a black man. But then I thought of the black cop in 'Boyz N Da Hood' (or whoever they spelled it). I still don't like it.

OK not to really go all political, but would it have been ok if he used the N word? I mean they are both black and that is supposed to be ok if you hear the way Chris Rock and a few others tell it.

Bulluck53
12-04-2007, 07:00 PM
That would have been worse. Being from the South, and most of you will agree, the term 'boy' to a black man does not sit well. I don't know where Samari is from, I know he went to FSU, but if he grew up in the South then I cannot fault him for being mad.

nunusguy
12-04-2007, 07:23 PM
That would have been worse. Being from the South, and most of you will agree, the term 'boy' to a black man does not sit well. I don't know where Samari is from, I know he went to FSU, but if he grew up in the South then I cannot fault him for being mad.

I dunno, but I have a feeling that the PC crowd is struggling with this incident. You know, looking for some discrimination a victim or some racism,
but none exists when they realize both parties are Black.

Bulluck53
12-04-2007, 07:26 PM
So black men cannot be racist towards other black men? Have you ever read Jason Whitlock?

nero THE zero
12-04-2007, 07:56 PM
So black men cannot be racist towards other black men? Have you ever read Jason Whitlock?

No but I've heard of Clayton Bigsby.

gg no re
12-04-2007, 08:01 PM
If he's going to complain about being called boy by an elder, then I guess he is a boy.

Htownsportsfan
12-04-2007, 08:14 PM
No but I've heard of Clayton Bigsby.

Yeah but he was blind and still dumped his old lady in the end!

Rep on the way!

awtysst
12-04-2007, 08:34 PM

I'm sorry, I don't get what is funny about this. Explain?

GlassHalfFull
12-04-2007, 08:37 PM
I'm sorry, I don't get what is funny about this. Explain?

Read this thread http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44921

Dread-Head
12-04-2007, 11:37 PM
If he's going to complain about being called boy by an elder, then I guess he is a boy.

Thank you! I said the exact same thing.

kastofsna
12-05-2007, 01:04 AM
old guys from the south say "boy" all the time to us misbehavin youngsters. i've been called "boy" by some old cracker guy more times than i can count. and when i say "cracker" i don't mean "white guy" i just mean the stereotypical old southern guys you'll find in this part of Florida from time to time.

i think of it as the equivalent to today's youth using "dude" at the end of each sentence. compare: "don't talk back to me, boy" to "don't talk back to me, dude." it's the same thing, it's all about cultural and time differences, etc etc

Specnatz
12-05-2007, 01:37 AM
old guys from the south say "boy" all the time to us misbehavin youngsters. i've been called "boy" by some old cracker guy more times than i can count. and when i say "cracker" i don't mean "white guy" i just mean the stereotypical old southern guys you'll find in this part of Florida from time to time.

i think of it as the equivalent to today's youth using "dude" at the end of each sentence. compare: "don't talk back to me, boy" to "don't talk back to me, dude." it's the same thing, it's all about cultural and time differences, etc etc

So if i say a certain word I can mean something different than you would think? Seriously using the term "some old craker" guy is about as racist as you can get. Thanks for playing double standards.

kastofsna
12-05-2007, 01:40 AM
cracker is not racist.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Florida_cracker

"The term is used as a proud or jocular self-description. Since the huge influx of new residents into Florida from the northern parts of the United States, and Latin America, in the late 20th century, "Florida Cracker" has become used informally by some Floridians to indicate that their family has lived there for many generations. For such people it is a source of pride to be descended from "frontier people who did not just live but flourished in a time before air conditioning, mosquito repellent, and screens."

http://www.crackertrail.org/

etc. if you misread what i said, well, that's your fault. i clearly made the distinction.

Specnatz
12-05-2007, 01:56 AM
cracker is not racist.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Florida_cracker

"The term is used as a proud or jocular self-description. Since the huge influx of new residents into Florida from the northern parts of the United States, and Latin America, in the late 20th century, "Florida Cracker" has become used informally by some Floridians to indicate that their family has lived there for many generations. For such people it is a source of pride to be descended from "frontier people who did not just live but flourished in a time before air conditioning, mosquito repellent, and screens."

http://www.crackertrail.org/

etc. if you misread what i said, well, that's your fault. i clearly made the distinction.

All I can go by is all the rap music. So the term that I wont use is no longer offensive, right?

kastofsna
12-05-2007, 02:51 AM
cracker is not offensive. it's a word that white guys try to equate to "n****r" so they can feel better about themselves. it's silly. cracker is positive in FL, where it originated from. there's nothing positive in the origin of "n****r." none at all.

nunusguy
12-05-2007, 06:52 AM

I can't begin to tell you how much I appreciate your remarks here Kastofsna.

SA Texan
12-05-2007, 07:39 AM
Sounds to me like this is a whole lot of nothing. Rolle is making a bigger deal out of this than there should be.

StarStruck
12-05-2007, 09:41 AM
Gosh, calling Rolle Number 22 could have avoided a conflict.

powerfuldragon
12-05-2007, 10:13 AM
samari's agent needs to get on the phone with kleenex forthwith.

Double Barrel
12-05-2007, 10:49 AM
So black men cannot be racist towards other black men?

Only if the black man believes his race is inferior to other races. Usually, though, a racist believes his race is superior to others, so maybe he's being a "reverse racist"?

Racist (http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/racist): a belief or doctrine that inherent differences among the various human races determine cultural or individual achievement, usually involving the idea that one's own race is superior and has the right to rule others.

eriadoc
12-05-2007, 12:03 PM
Some people just look for things at which to be offended. I have no sympathy for those people at all.