PDA

View Full Version : Jack Pardee??

HoustonFrog
12-04-2007, 05:07 PM
Wow they are reaching to the past

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3141498

HOUSTON -- Houston is looking to its past in the search for a new football coach.

Former Cougars coach Jack Pardee, who also coached the Houston Oilers and two other NFL teams, said Tuesday he has been contacted by the school about returning for a second stint as head coach.

Pardee, 71, coached the Cougars from 1987-89, compiling a 22-11-1 record. The Cougars were 1-10 the season before he arrived but rose to as high as No. 14 in the nation before Pardee left to coach the Oilers.

Pardee was 87-77 in 11 seasons in the NFL as head coach of the Chicago Bears, Washington Redskins and Oilers. Pardee has not coached since 1996, when he was in the Canadian Football League.

Pardee told Houston TV station KRIV that Cougars athletic director Dave Maggard called him to discuss the job. Maggard has declined to comment on specifics of his coaching search.

"There are a lot of ifs, but if the school is interested I'd be very interested," Pardee said. "I am not looking for a job. If they find somebody else they are more comfortable with, I would back that decision 100 percent."

Former Cougars quarterback David Klingler told the Houston Chronicle that the school has contacted him about being the offensive coordinator for Pardee.

"I know some people would be concerned about his age, but you have to take each person on an individual basis," Klingler said. "But I will say this -- I've been around a lot of coaches, and I wouldn't consider doing this for anyone other than Jack Pardee."

The Cougars are replacing Art Briles, who left to become head coach at Baylor last week.

gwallaia
12-04-2007, 05:20 PM
Big surprise here.

Pardee still knows football, if hired he would groom one of the assistants for the HC position, perhaps Fitzpatrick or Klingler.

HoustonFrog
12-04-2007, 05:32 PM
Big surprise here.

Pardee still knows football, if hired he would groom one of the assistants for the HC position, perhaps Fitzpatrick or Klingler.

I may be wrong but was he or someone else that is coaching the Texas team in the semi-pro starter league?

gwallaia
12-04-2007, 05:39 PM
Klingler, as far as I know, is a preacher.

HoustonFrog
12-04-2007, 05:43 PM
Klingler, as far as I know, is a preacher.

My bad, I meant Pardee. I know they are having an 8 team, I believe, development league and someone that was ex-Houston was getting together the Texas team.

Texan_Bill
12-04-2007, 05:44 PM
Read this in Murph's blog:

December 04, 2007

How would you feel about Jack Pardee?

How about Jack Pardee?

The former Cougar coach (the man has been just about everywhere) has emerged as a candidate to replace CAB. Uncle Dave wouldn't comment on it, but the rumor has been floating around. But David Klingler, who would serve as OC under Pardee if this longshot actually hit the target, confirmed the talks.

"Yes, that's true," Klingler said. "I know some people would be concerned about his age, but you have to take each person on an individual basis. But I will say this -- I've been around a lot of coaches, and I wouldn't consider doing this for anyone other than Jack Pardee."

Jason Phillips, who would serve as WRs coach, knows everyone will have questions about Pardee's age.

"I have no reservations (about the plan). In fact, I love the idea of bringing Jack Pardee back," Phillips said. "(Florida State's) Bobby Bowden is 78. (Penn State's) Joe Paterno is 80. Howard Schnellenberger is 73. I have no reservations about Jack's age.

Link: How would you feel about Jack Pardee (http://blogs.chron.com/cougars/2007/12/how_would_you_feel_about_jack.html)

Specnatz
12-04-2007, 06:15 PM
God I hope not, it is hard enough for UH to recruit but having a fossel as a coach will not get any kids to think about coming to UH.

Texan_Bill
12-04-2007, 06:18 PM
God I hope not, it is hard enough for UH to recruit but having a fossel as a coach will not get any kids to think about coming to UH.

All that fossil needs to do is mention the 'run-and-shoot' and there will be QB's and WR's banging on his door...

Lucky
12-04-2007, 06:26 PM
Jack Pardee? UH is really putting back the Ol' in the Good Ol' Boy system.

Specnatz
12-04-2007, 06:28 PM
All that fossil needs to do is mention the 'run-and-shoot' and there will be QB's and WR's banging on his door...

Do you really think so? I would not have thought that.

Second Honeymoon
12-04-2007, 06:49 PM

...unless they want to play NFL football. Run N Shoot and Tedford offenses are like kryptonite to NFL scouts nowadays.

Texan_Bill
12-04-2007, 06:52 PM
Do you really think so? I would not have thought that.

If I was coming out of high school and someone told me that they were running an offense where I could rack up obscene numbers - I think I could be convinced. These kids wont be worried about what happened to Ware or Klingler... They would just think that they would be the ones to make it..

Besides, all kidding aside - I doubt it would be for the long term. It would probably be just a filler (see Tom Osborne for NU), until they get their guy...

bah007
12-04-2007, 06:55 PM
If I was coming out of high school and someone told me that they were running an offense where I could rack up obscene numbers - I think I could be convinced. These kids wont be worried about what happened to Ware or Klingler... They would just think that they would be the ones to make it..

Besides, all kidding aside - I doubt it would be for the long term. It would probably be just a filler (see Tom Osborne for NU), until they get their guy...

The Run and Shoot isnt exactly revolutionary anymore.

If I wanted to put up mad numbers coming out of high school there are plenty of better places I could go than UH.

Specnatz
12-04-2007, 07:02 PM
nvm

gwallaia
12-04-2007, 07:10 PM

If I wanted to put up mad numbers coming out of high school there are plenty of better places I could go than UH.

#4 Total Offense in the Nation
http://web1.ncaa.org/d1mfb/natlRank.jsp?year=2007&div=4&rpt=IA_teamtotoff&site=org

Texan_Bill
12-04-2007, 07:17 PM

True considering just about every collegiate offense today runs a version of it... It's now called the 'spread option' instead.

Yeah... I could name a few places I'd like to go.... For one, UH - Hawaii that is.

Specnatz
12-04-2007, 07:41 PM
True considering just about every collegiate offense today runs a version of it... It's now called the 'spread option' instead.

Yeah... I could name a few places I'd like to go.... For one, UH - Hawaii that is.

Yes but you would probably get kicked out after your first year, it is kinda bad not attending class and sitting on the beach drinking Mai-Tai's watching the hola dancers perform.

Oh wait that is what I would do.

kastofsna
12-05-2007, 02:18 AM
just the name "Jack Pardee" sounds like a really old white guy.

threetoedpete
12-05-2007, 02:28 AM
just the name "Jack Pardee" sounds like a really old white guy.

Hey as long a they have a hover round and a steady supply of depends on hand, ought to work out.
Come to think of it perhaps Jeff Magert could sign them up as a corprate sponser.
Have a depends screen to catch all of the extra points and feild goals. Works out for everyone.

Know what this tells me Kast. Jeff Magart got blind sided by this. The job has passed the guy by. Too funny.

http://www.depend.com/offers/coupon.asp

BattleRedToro
12-05-2007, 07:38 AM

Actually Ware and Klingler did make it. They were both Top 10 Draft picks and that means Millions of $ guaranteed. Does it really matter that they didn't have good pro careers if they are both millionaires?

I don't think so, and that is something a recruiter could sell to a poor, but tallented high school player.

"Hey kid, you may not make it in the next level, but if you come here and put up ridiculous numbers there is a chance that you can make more money in that intial contract than most people will make in their lives, and even if you don't get drafted, you can get a top quality education for free in the meantime. So, either way, after attending our University you will have a higher quality of life then you did growing up."

If Pardee is brought in it will be to groom Klingler to be the next Head Coach at U of H.

bah007
12-05-2007, 09:35 AM
#4 Total Offense in the Nation
http://web1.ncaa.org/d1mfb/natlRank.jsp?year=2007&div=4&rpt=IA_teamtotoff&site=org

I didnt say the offense isnt impressive.

But look at other schools in the top 10.

Do you think a kid is gonna choose to go to UH over Texas Tech, Hawaii, Missouri, Louisville, or Boise St?

And then Oregon, Florida, & Texas are sitting just outside the top 10.

HoustonFrog
12-05-2007, 09:44 AM
Interview this morning on 610 with Klingler and Phillips was very telling. These guys would go to war with Pardee. Klingler is getting his PhD in the seminary and said this is one time he would drop everything for someone.

Just to clarify a comment I made yesterday.....John Jenkins in the one who is helping put together the Texas entry in the NFL minor league team or whatever it is.

Mr. White
12-05-2007, 10:13 AM
Considering how his name totally came out of left field, I have to think that this is probably gonna happen. Especially considering that they're talking coordinators.

The Run and Shoot is the reason for all the parity in college football right now. Like Texan Bill said, it's just called the spread option right now.

The more I think about it, the more sense it makes. Seems like the last time the Cougars had an identity, Pardee was the coach. I'd just like to see him mix it up a little with his formations (like throwing in a TE every now and then.)

Dread-Head
12-05-2007, 10:26 AM
As much as I HATE the football program at UH. (U.H. c/o 1998) I can't stop myself from chanting "PARDEE! PARDEE!" I hope he gets it. He's a nice guy and a pretty good coach.

HoustonFrog
12-05-2007, 10:27 AM
Considering how his name totally came out of left field, I have to think that this is probably gonna happen. Especially considering that they're talking coordinators.

The Run and Shoot is the reason for all the parity in college football right now. Like Texan Bill said, it's just called the spread option right now.

The more I think about it, the more sense it makes. Seems like the last time the Cougars had an identity, Pardee was the coach. I'd just like to see him mix it up a little with his formations (like throwing in a TE every now and then.)

They also, according to what I hear, recruited really well when he was there. So I think this is them looking at the national picture and trying to get the whole UH national picture back up.

76Texan
12-05-2007, 12:59 PM
As long as he's in good health, I'm OK with it.
Let some younger guys like Klinger or Phillips have some time to learn.

austintexanite
12-05-2007, 03:11 PM
As much as I like Pardee, I'm not sure if that is the best move for UH. Still got a couple of weeks left before you really have to panic about a HC.

badboy
12-05-2007, 03:55 PM
My first thoughts;

He has been out of football a long time and he is in 70s.

Name recognition would help this year's recruiting.

Stands will fill up to see a high scoring offense.

Hmm. Might be the right move.

76Texan
12-05-2007, 04:17 PM
I think Pardee would be a solid and safe hire.
He should be able to bring in a quality staff to work with in both coaching and recruiting.
The downside (his age) is not as important, especially when we remember how "transient" a HC's position could be at a "second tier" school like UH.

Name recognition, I believe, is quite very important for a program like ours.

badboy
12-05-2007, 04:24 PM
I think Pardee would be a solid and safe hire.
He should be able to bring in a quality staff to work with in both coaching and recruiting.
The downside (his age) is not as important, especially when we remember how "transient" a HC's position could be at a "second tier" school like UH.

Name recognition, I believe, is quite very important for a program like ours.Yeah but won't alumni and students be concerned that Pardee might be hired by Oklahoma after one year of turning the coogs into top 15 team?

Texan_Bill
12-05-2007, 04:30 PM
Yeah but won't alumni and students be concerned that Pardee might be hired by Oklahoma after one year of turning the coogs into top 15 team?

Thats pretty funny!!!

However, on the up side, if he were able to turn UH into a top 15 school in one year, at least the position might be more 'attractive' for bigger named coaches out there....

76Texan
12-05-2007, 04:35 PM
Thats pretty funny!!!

However, on the up side, if he were able to turn UH into a top 15 school in one year, at least the position might be more 'attractive' for bigger named coaches out there....On PR alone, having Pardee mentioned as a possible HC is already good for UH.:cool:

So I'll take the chance of being ranked 15th and looking for a new HC next year! :)

Texan_Bill
12-05-2007, 04:37 PM
On PR alone, having Pardee mentioned as a possible HC is already good for UH.:cool:

So I'll take the chance of being ranked 15th and looking for a new HC next year! :)

You ain't kiddin'!!

badboy
12-05-2007, 05:03 PM
But then all the experts will scream that it is just Pardee's system. Think having former coogs like Andre Ware and Klinger walking around would get any highschooler's attention?

76Texan
12-05-2007, 05:27 PM
But then all the experts will scream that it is just Pardee's system. Think having former coogs like Andre Ware and Klinger walking around would get any highschooler's attention?
I'm sure each would bring something good to the table.

But we also have to remember as good a name and a player Clyde Drexler was... didn't mean automatic good draws for even two years.

If we're looking for "solid" in both coaching and recruiting, I would venture to say that Pardee is above Klinger, Ware, and quite a few other possible candidates for the job.

The downside, as we all know, is Pardee's age.
But that could turn out to be the upside, since he would be even more willing to be a mentor to guys like Klinger, Ware and Phillips.

Texan_Bill
12-05-2007, 05:42 PM
I'm sure each would bring something good to the table.

But we also have to remember as good a name and a player Clyde Drexler was... didn't mean automatic good draws for even two years.

If we're looking for "solid" in both coaching and recruiting, I would venture to say that Pardee is above Klinger, Ware, and quite a few other possible candidates for the job.

The downside, as we all know, is Pardee's age.
But that could turn out to be the upside, since he would be even more willing to be a mentor to guys like Klinger, Ware and Phillips.

Clyde just forgot that he had to actually show up to recruit.... :shades:

Would Jason Phillips be promoted to O-Coordinator?? Klingler has not been around football for some time and Phillips is currently the WR's coach...???

76Texan
12-05-2007, 05:43 PM
You ain't kiddin'!!

Bill, wasn't there a thread about those in the group that will be going to the Texas Bowl?

Texan_Bill
12-05-2007, 05:46 PM
Bill, wasn't there a thread about those in the group that will be going to the Texas Bowl?

YUP!!!

Here's the link: Blue Crew: Texas Bowl (http://texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=42368&highlight=Texas+Bowl)

76Texan
12-05-2007, 05:55 PM
YUP!!!

Here's the link: Blue Crew: Texas Bowl (http://texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=42368&highlight=Texas+Bowl)
Good. I'm still waiting to see if my brother-in-law and a couple of our mutual friends are going. Been pushing them to decide one way or another.

At least now I know I'll have a place to hang either way.

Funny, Phillips was with Baylor last year.
And now he's back with us. I have no idea how it's going to shake out. Maybe the other guys on the board can answer you for sure.

Double Barrel
12-05-2007, 06:09 PM
I think they should go for it. Pardee was always a class act, and his teams were exciting to watch if nothing else.

76Texan
12-05-2007, 06:16 PM
I think they should go for it. Pardee was always a class act, and his teams were exciting to watch if nothing else.

Especially college ball.
Especially in C-USA.

sixfour
12-05-2007, 06:18 PM
If UofH wants to get into the BCS picture then there's no way they hire pardee. If all they want to do is sell tix then maybe. Go back and look at the cupcakes they played when he was here. Ask Hawaii what that does for your championship aspirations.

Texan_Bill
12-05-2007, 06:45 PM

Carefull with that statement... Some enlightened PC person may remind you of the 95-0 beat down of SMU>

76Texan
12-05-2007, 07:54 PM
Carefull with that statement... Some enlightened PC person may remind you of the 95-0 beat down of SMU>
I forgot about all of that! :shades:

Tulip
12-05-2007, 09:00 PM
I think it's a really interesting idea. It shows me that the University is really trying to grow the program. Yes, they are trying to sell tickets, but that's not exactly a bad thing - because attendance is what is keeping them from joining a bigger conference. Building some tradition and growing the Cougar "family" with the old coming back to coach the new - I think it might turn out to be a smart move.

I'm interested to see what happens.

Tulip
12-05-2007, 09:23 PM
Maggard interviewed Pardee at Pardee's ranch today:

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/college/5355278.html

HoustonFrog
12-06-2007, 09:00 AM
If UofH wants to get into the BCS picture then there's no way they hire pardee. If all they want to do is sell tix then maybe. Go back and look at the cupcakes they played when he was here. Ask Hawaii what that does for your championship aspirations.

Actually I disagree. They were a nationally known team when he was here and a Top 10 type program. I'd think it would actually get more national run than local because of this. Especially if he has coordinators that are former players. Hawaii has a Pardee guy in June Jones and they are undefeated and being talked about. That isn't a bad thing. They are playing a BCS game. Look at Boise St. last year.

painekiller
12-06-2007, 10:57 AM
I think the Pardee hiring would be a great move, especially if he is bringing in guys like Klingler for the offense. I hope Lamar Lathon gets a look at DC, not sure he wants to coach, but I have met him and had a long conversation with him, and he would be an excellent hire.

Plus, similar to Mike Sherman in Aggieland, Pardee will be able to tell guys that he knows how to get people to the NFL, especially defensive guys. That is what these recruits want to hear, and he knows how to do that.

If he can attract the right assistants than he would be a great hire.

I am still hoping Applewhite looks at the job, but Pardee would be here to groom the next cougar HC, while Applewhite will be looking for the next big step.

gwallaia
12-06-2007, 11:28 AM
Applewhite has been eliminated from consideration.

painekiller
12-06-2007, 11:45 AM
Applewhite has been eliminated from consideration.

I missed that, thanks.

WWJD
12-07-2007, 10:43 AM
The best argument AGAINST Coach Pardee was from a caller to 610. He said a young kid has got to wonder that hey if I committ to UH how long will the coach be here? He's 71 or whatever....I hate to agree because I am no spring chicken myself but to me...for that job....he is too old to come in new.

Nothing against his smarts..his abilities..but I think they should go with a younger coach. JMO.

Of course on the other hand college coaches change jobs like underwear these days. But to me they'd be better served going with a younger coach.

badboy
12-07-2007, 03:14 PM
Actually I disagree. They were a nationally known team when he was here and a Top 10 type program. I'd think it would actually get more national run than local because of this. Especially if he has coordinators that are former players. Hawaii has a Pardee guy in June Jones and they are undefeated and being talked about. That isn't a bad thing. They are playing a BCS game. Look at Boise St. last year.Doesn't Hawaii have a QB getting a bit of publicity here on the mainland?

Texan_Bill
12-07-2007, 03:18 PM
Doesn't Hawaii have a QB getting a bit of publicity here on the mainland?

Yes... Colt Brennan.

His coach is June Jones so all the QB's at Hawaii get pub (see Timmy Chang).

badboy
12-07-2007, 03:21 PM
The best argument AGAINST Coach Pardee was from a caller to 610. He said a young kid has got to wonder that hey if I committ to UH how long will the coach be here? He's 71 or whatever....I hate to agree because I am no spring chicken myself but to me...for that job....he is too old to come in new.

Nothing against his smarts..his abilities..but I think they should go with a younger coach. JMO.

Of course on the other hand college coaches change jobs like underwear these days. But to me they'd be better served going with a younger coach.

If age really effect most recruits there are a lot of top 25 schools that would not get recruits. I think most high school kids want a chance show their stuff regardless of position. The coach reputation for placing players in NFL or getting college honors and does the offense or defense play to the players skills. Teaching skills by the staff would also be highly evaluated.

Specnatz
12-12-2007, 08:45 PM
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/college/5370952.html

Just to stoke Bill up a little. The Head coach for the Houston Cougars is down to Notre Dame offensive coordinator Michael Haywood and Jack Pardee.

TexanSam
12-12-2007, 10:59 PM
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/college/5370952.html

Just to stoke Bill up a little. The Head coach for the Houston Cougars is down to Notre Dame offensive coordinator Michael Haywood and Jack Pardee.

Now according to the Chronicle the Coogs are speaking to Kevin Sumlin again and Haywood has been eliminated.

University of Houston athletic director Dave Maggard said Wednesday that he has resumed discussions with Oklahoma co-offensive coordinator Kevin Sumlin in his efforts to find a new head football coach.

Maggard insisted that the job is still open, but a person close to the situation said that after a lengthy interview, Notre Dame offensive coordinator Michael Haywood has been eliminated as a candidate to replace Art Briles, who resigned Nov. 28 to take the job at Baylor.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/front/5373978.html