PDA

View Full Version : Classless move by a classy franchise?

Hook'er
12-03-2007, 11:19 AM
EVERY team in the NFL (even the Raiders) had #21 stickers on the back of their helmets yesterday except our Texans. The ONLY Texans to wear them were Andre Johnson & Eric Winston who formerly played with Sean Taylor. I thought that was a pretty classless move, what are you thoughts on that situation?:texflag:

DerekLee1
12-03-2007, 11:25 AM
Why were they wearing #12?

PapaL
EVERY team in the NFL (even the Raiders) had #12 stickers on the back of their helmets yesterday except out Texans. The ONLY Texans to wear them were Andre Johnson & Eric Winston who formerly played with Sean Taylor. I thought that was a pretty classless move, what are you thoughts on that situation?:texflag:

It's #21. Unless it was mandated by the NFL - whats the problem?

bigbrewster2000
EVERY team in the NFL (even the Raiders) had #12 stickers on the back of their helmets yesterday except out Texans. The ONLY Texans to wear them were Andre Johnson & Eric Winston who formerly played with Sean Taylor. I thought that was a pretty classless move, what are you thoughts on that situation?:texflag:
you mean #21 stickers? And I think you are making too big a deal out of it. Yes it was a very sad thing. Should they all have done it maybe maybe not. Could have been that they respected the 2 guys that played with him enough to let them stand out in the crowd. I would leave the issue alone.

Marcus
12-03-2007, 11:26 AM
Ummm . . I believe it's #21.

Other than that, why try to make something out of nothing?

TEXANS84
12-03-2007, 11:29 AM
It was a player option. I watched other games throughout the day and I would say around 1/2 to 3/4 of the players were wearing the #21.

SA Texan
12-03-2007, 11:30 AM
It's a non issue and no it wasn't classless. Everyone (and every team) has different ways of handling things and honoring people. It's just like you can still support the troops without driving around with a yellow ribbon on your car.

Hookem Horns
12-03-2007, 11:34 AM
I found it odd that other teams were wearing his number on their helmets. Normally it is just the team the person played for. Why weren't all the teams wearing the numbers of those Broncos players that died during the offseason? Aren't the Broncos already wearing 2 different numbers? I assume some are wearing 3 now? If this keeps up they are going to look like Ohio State with those stickers all over their helmets.

Second Honeymoon
12-03-2007, 11:35 AM
If we were the only one out of 32 teams to NOT wear a #21 sticker in honor of ST, then I would have a HUGE problem with it. But i don't think that was the case.

I don't know all the facts about this but I sure hope the yanks over at ESPN don't make this a story if we pretty much diss'ed the tribute and the rest of the league pretty much honored it. i'm not a huge ST guy and all the facts aren't out but what is the big deal with putting a 21 on your helmet like the rest of the league? (if that is the case)

adam
12-03-2007, 11:35 AM
Yawn. Taylor's death was certainly sad and tragic, but I am not going to damn the Texans over a helmet decal.

Hook'er
12-03-2007, 11:49 AM
Your right #21, I'm not damning the Texans just woundering what you guys thought?

powerfuldragon
12-03-2007, 11:49 AM
lets all find stuff about the texans to complain about.

powerfuldragon
12-03-2007, 11:53 AM
My good friend Ed Hochuli told me that Gary Kubiak has moderate to severe halitosis. Man somebody buy that guy some listerine and altoids and orbit gum.

Hook'er
12-03-2007, 12:00 PM
Lil' bigger please!:texflag:

Hook'er
12-03-2007, 12:01 PM
lets all find stuff about the texans to complain about.

Oh', and I love the Texans!:texflag:

Specnatz
12-03-2007, 12:12 PM
Oh', and I love the Texans!:texflag:

Thats good and great and all but your satrting of this thread sounds more like a gripe fest. You say your not damning the Texans but you did type it in bold and in Red so if you are not damning them what exactly are you doing? We can not read emotions behind a computer screen and with typing words. We can only deduce what the temperment is of the typist but who they type those words. By using the red and the bold it looks like you are damning the Texans.

If you do not know the guy and have never met him would you put a decal on your helmet if you were not a Redskin? I have to much respect for people to do something that is fake and disingenuous? So the players that played at U M can put stickers on their helmets and the Redskins can to so then it adds more weight to it and makes it a true sincere statement versus some crap the NFL told players they had to do.

BigBull17
12-03-2007, 12:15 PM
you mean #21 stickers? And I think you are making too big a deal out of it. Yes it was a very sad thing. Should they all have done it maybe maybe not. Could have been that they respected the 2 guys that played with him enough to let them stand out in the crowd. I would leave the issue alone.

I think thats the one. Those were team mates of his. We are too classy for irt to be anything else.

Malloy
12-03-2007, 12:32 PM
Honestly I am NOT a great fan of mandatory honoring. It takes the symbolism and meaning out of it. I don't care whether it's PC or not, but I'll rather have 3 true friends show up for my funeral than 500 people who really did not care, but feels obliged to wave the flag because the alternative is considered bad.

Let the players that feels like honoring (as in, the ones who knew him?) do it, but stop imposing your morals and norms on other people. You'll get either pissy or shallow people.

Hook'er
12-03-2007, 01:16 PM
Honestly I am NOT a great fan of mandatory honoring. It takes the symbolism and meaning out of it. I don't care whether it's PC or not, but I'll rather have 3 true friends show up for my funeral than 500 people who really did not care, but feels obliged to wave the flag because the alternative is considered bad.

Let the players that feels like honoring (as in, the ones who knew him?) do it, but stop imposing your morals and norms on other people. You'll get either pissy or shallow people.

That's very true Malloy!

Hook'er
12-03-2007, 01:21 PM
Thats good and great and all but your satrting of this thread sounds more like a gripe fest. You say your not damning the Texans but you did type it in bold and in Red so if you are not damning them what exactly are you doing? We can not read emotions behind a computer screen and with typing words. We can only deduce what the temperment is of the typist but who they type those words. By using the red and the bold it looks like you are damning the Texans.

If you do not know the guy and have never met him would you put a decal on your helmet if you were not a Redskin? I have to much respect for people to do something that is fake and disingenuous? So the players that played at U M can put stickers on their helmets and the Redskins can to so then it adds more weight to it and makes it a true sincere statement versus some crap the NFL told players they had to do.

Like I said before, I'm not damning the Texans. I'm here till the end, I was just wondering why our Texans were the only team to not have the stickers?:texflag:

YellerLotYeller
12-03-2007, 02:20 PM
Like I said before, I'm not damning the Texans. I'm here till the end, I was just wondering why our Texans were the only team to not have the stickers?:texflag:

Then you should have thought twice about the title of the thread.

PapaL
12-03-2007, 02:27 PM

You, in the opening post, said "Texans to wear them were Andre Johnson & Eric Winston who formerly played with Sean Taylor". If two people did it then some of the team did it.

austintexanite
12-03-2007, 04:03 PM
I didn't even notice it yesterday. Probably should have worn the stickers.

hollywood_texan
12-03-2007, 04:20 PM
EVERY team in the NFL (even the Raiders) had #21 stickers on the back of their helmets yesterday except our Texans. The ONLY Texans to wear them were Andre Johnson & Eric Winston who formerly played with Sean Taylor. I thought that was a pretty classless move, what are you thoughts on that situation?:texflag:

People these days get upset to just do it. Issues are irrelevant.

I'll play along though. I guess class is defined by doing what everybody else is doing?

It is so amazing how people have so much respect for someone when they are dead, but won't even look at them or recognize them when they are alive.

Of all things people do in this world, the last thing I am going to do is judge someone because they did or didn't wear a black armband, number, or whatever because someone died. Everyone has there own way to deal with this type stuff, how they do it has nothing to do with regarding the quality of the person they are.

There are more meaningful ways to judge someboy's character than some easy to do public display.

bah007
12-03-2007, 05:21 PM
People these days get upset to just do it. Issues are irrelevant.

I'll play along though. I guess class is defined by doing what everybody else is doing?

It is so amazing how people have so much respect for someone when they are dead, but won't even look at them or recognize them when they are alive.

Of all things people do in this world, the last thing I am going to do is judge someone because they did or didn't wear a black armband, number, or whatever because someone died. Everyone has there own way to deal with this type stuff, how they do it has nothing to do with regarding the quality of the person they are.

There are more meaningful ways to judge someboy's character than some easy to do public display.

Exactly.

Ole Miss Texan
12-03-2007, 05:34 PM
I don't think it's really a big deal one way or another. Not really sure why people are bashing you over this either.

I don't think the Redskins are going to look at the Texans and say 'hey I can't believe you didn't wear a sticker...jack asses.' but I do think the Redskins organization would look at the teams that did and say 'Thank you for your thoughts and support in this very sad time.'

I really like what they did with the first play of the game having only 10 players out there.

gwallaia
12-03-2007, 05:35 PM
Oh brother.

The Texans were not the only team not wearing the #21 decals.

HoustonFrog
12-04-2007, 10:43 PM
Just an update. Ephraim Salaam had his show tonight on 610 and said that they were never approached about the stickers individually but everyone wanted to wear them. He said the Miami guys got them but that everyone assumed it would be league wide until they got out on the field. So overall they didn't chose not to do it....at least the players.

Yankee_In_TX
12-04-2007, 11:56 PM
Taylor - man. 2 pics against OSU in the 2002 title game. One stripped back by Clarett. I didn't think it odd the others didn't wear the sticker. It was their option.

The other players are simply saying they didn't feel as connected - not that they don't mourn the loss.

threetoedpete
12-05-2007, 12:26 AM

I think politcal correctness has prety much run a'muck. In the Robert Byrd case they sentenced two of the three to death. But some how we gotta figure out what someone was thinking and give the actors in the case an extra kick to make sure that every one gets the fact that white on black crime will recieve an extra kick.

So Sean Taylor returned to his village and the people who suppossedly loved the guy...killed him. I don't get it. Exactly what are we honoring here hook'er ?
Die young leave a prety corps ? So are we saying it's ok for black theives to kill a black victim. But on the other hand...a white guy killing black theives...well that there thingy is a hate crime ? I'm sure deputy sheriff Odom would love to render an opinion on that right now. A thief is a thief.

Sean Taylor's death is indeed a tragedy. Forcing people who did not know the guy to wear decale on the helmit...that's not going to make Sean Taylor any less dead. I wonder what Deputy Sherrif Odom's badge number was ? And was his death any less tragic than Sean Taylor's ? Texan's want to honor a hero...that'd be Deputy Odom. The only thing Orwell missed was the generation. He was off about twenty years.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZ5SVDYBNrY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_aDSyi5vBI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WRYeqGZRo9Q

http://www.online-literature.com/orwell/1984/