PDA

View Full Version : Mario Williams

Pages : [1] 2

stingray
12-02-2007, 03:47 PM
I have before been negative on Mario. But I always said that he had huge talent and he was young. His progress just gets better. He played a hell of a game today. He is getting more consistent and is playing with some passion. Hope he keeps it up.

adam
12-02-2007, 03:48 PM
I'll toast to that. Watching Mario Williams lay into Vince Young a time or two made watching the game much better than it should have been.

nero THE zero
12-02-2007, 03:49 PM
Mario probably played the best game out of any Texan today.

He has 4.5 sacks and 2 FF in the past 3 games. It's looking good for him.

Dread-Head
12-02-2007, 03:50 PM
Two and a half sacks on VY today. I said it when they chose him and I'll repeat it. We picked the right guy.

brakos82
12-02-2007, 03:52 PM
Call him a bust, and he'll sack you. Prety simple equation.

OzzO
12-02-2007, 03:52 PM
Not sure if y'all saw in the game thread, but on 610 it noted that he holds the Texans record now for single season sacks at 8.5

TheIronDuke
12-02-2007, 03:55 PM
His numbers look pretty good, I said on another thread that I wouldn't be surprised to see him in the Pro Bowl this year.

YellerLotYeller
12-02-2007, 03:59 PM
He was the only bright spot today......

Austrian
12-02-2007, 03:59 PM
Not sure if y'all saw in the game thread, but on 610 it noted that he holds the Texans record now for single season sacks at 8.5

Yep previous record was held by Jeff Posey (2002) with 8 sacks.

The Dream
12-02-2007, 04:01 PM
mario is still "meh"...I'm not fooled by the numbers...most weeks he's non existent.....he got fortunate to be in the right place at the right time on a couple of plays today.....drafting him was still a mistake.........VY > Mario.

run-david-run
12-02-2007, 04:05 PM
7 tackles and 2.5 sacks. Mario has 8.5 of our 20 sacks on the season, great for him, terrible for the rest of the team. Okoye has disapeared after a bright start, and I think we only have 1 sack from a defensive end other then Mario. Weaver is holding us back in the pass rush. Mario needs to stay at LDE permenantly and we need to add a speed rusher at RDE capable of getting pressure. TJ and Okoye could turn out to be a great DT combination, but the final piece needs to be added. The positive part of this equation is that you can find a Mark Anderson type DE in the second day of the draft.

Mike Kerns
12-02-2007, 04:06 PM
Thats 4.5 sacks in the last three weeks. Thats Defensive player of the Month material right there. The one bright spot the last two weeks has been Mario. Glad to see that the Mario pickisnt beingas ridiculed around the nation anymore with Vince & Reggie having subpar sophomore seasons. I said that we wont know if this was the right pick for 3 to 5 years...

run-david-run
12-02-2007, 04:09 PM
The running game was very effective again. Bennet seems to be holding his own at corner against the other team's #1. AJ seems to be healthy, and most of the pressure on Sage came from the middle and the left, meaning Winston is doing well at RT. If JJ had held on, we had a great chance to win. "If only" is hard to take and doesn't really get you anywhere, but this team is getting better. It won't be this season, but we will be heard from in the AFC South IF we make good personel decisions (players and new coaches) this offseason.

BSofA04
12-02-2007, 04:13 PM
Yep, it's hard for the VY lovers to beat up on Williams after his performance this season...especially after today. Hopefully he stays here after his contract is up, he's been our most consistent d lineman. Okoye, Weaver......where are you?!

Mike Kerns
12-02-2007, 04:20 PM
Yep, it's hard for the VY lovers to beat up on Williams after his performance this season...especially after today. Hopefully he stays here after his contract is up, he's been our most consistent d lineman. Okoye, Weaver......where are you?!

I couldnt be more unsatisfied with Anthony Weaver. Has that guy done anything productive since coming here? At times, I forget he is even on the team!

Allstar
12-02-2007, 04:21 PM

I don't think it's not common for #1 overall picks to go to different teams when their contract is up unless they are either 1) a bust, or 2) their skills are diminishing with old age.

junior
12-02-2007, 04:23 PM
Thats 4.5 in sacks the last three weeks. Thats Defensive player of the Month material right there. The one bright spot the last two weeks has been Mario. Glad to see that the Mario pickisnt beingas ridiculed around the nation anymore with Vince & Reggie having subpar sophomore seasons. I said that we wont know if this was the right pick for 3 to 5 years...

unfortunately the guy from seattle had back to back 3 sack games but he should be top 5 afc in sacks after this week and maybe top3 in afc at seasons end.

if someone told me williams would be that high this year i would have thought they were crazy. great stuff mario you deserve praise right now.

so all those who talked of bust at the beginning of the season we need to hear from you now.

TexansFanatic
12-02-2007, 04:24 PM
Thank God. He's not a bust after all. He's well on his way to double-digit sacks. Maybe even 12 or so. That's more than solid.

nut
12-02-2007, 04:26 PM
Mario had an excellent game.

BSofA04
12-02-2007, 04:28 PM
I don't think it's not common for #1 overall picks to go to different teams when their contract is up unless they are either 1) a bust, or 2) their skills are diminishing with old age.
My fear is that all the VY love in Houston and the semi-hate for Williams could drive him out of town. Of course that's worse case scenerio, but he deserves some credit for his performance. Unfortunantly, we have the fat-ass McClain and Richard Justice who live to worship VY. They really should give Mario some credit, it's unreal.

austintexanite
12-02-2007, 04:30 PM

The running game was very effective again. Bennet seems to be holding his own at corner against the other team's #1. AJ seems to be healthy, and most of the pressure on Sage came from the middle and the left, meaning Winston is doing well at RT. If JJ had held on, we had a great chance to win. "If only" is hard to take and doesn't really get you anywhere, but this team is getting better. It won't be this season, but we will be heard from in the AFC South IF we make good personel decisions (players and new coaches) this offseason.

Mario and Ron both had great games today. I hope a lot of people give both of them credit, because they have been playing good since we came off our bye week. Ron has shown that he has heart and continues to prove the majority of us wrong, including myself. In no way am I saying he's the answer, but he has played very hard the past two years when it starts to get cold. :texflag:

TEXANRED
12-02-2007, 04:32 PM

Thank God, now I can forget Jeff Posey's name.

SA Texan
12-02-2007, 04:33 PM
Williams had a great game today and he's had a very good season...he was one of the few bright spots out there today. It's good to see him healthy and playing like he's capable of.

Specnatz
12-02-2007, 05:07 PM
Where is Vinny, Second honeymoon and Apple and a few others that would not say anything nice about his play where are they now.

I defended him a few times and got plastered yet when he has a good game those same individuals who trash him when he has some bad plays are no where to be seen.

If you are going to trash any player who has a bad game, when he has a good game you need to suck it up and say he played well. That is for any player. Be objective.

P.S. Dream i know the titans won but put that in your pipe and smoke it or stick it I could careless which.

rollinstone18
12-02-2007, 05:13 PM
Mario is playing very well. The only knock I have on him is that I'd like to see him try to bullrush the tackle more rather than trying to juke him. The guy is progressing though. Amobi seems to be in a rookie funk. We still need a RE who can pass rush.

Wolf
12-02-2007, 05:27 PM
congrats mario, I hope this is for bigger and better things!!

i think some forget he was a true junior instead of redshirted.. and I hope this season he can continue to build and stay consistant!

Runner
12-02-2007, 05:28 PM
Where is Vinny, Second honeymoon and Apple and a few others that would not say anything nice about his play where are they now.

You mean the people who didn't give him unmitigated praise when he was playing poorly?

OK. He has had two good games in a row. If he finishes out the season playing this well, he'll get up to average. Yippee!

He's kind of a microcosm of the Texans. He's had a couple of good games and so it is great expectations time - like when the Texans beat New Orleans two weeks ago. The problem is, these exceptional games aren't the realistic level. The usual performance, not the exception, is where he's at.

When he plays well consistently, and I don't mean he has to have multiple sacks a game but just have real impact on the opposing offense, then the level rises. Until then, nice game.

BSofA04
12-02-2007, 05:35 PM
You mean the people who didn't give him unmitigated praise when he was playing poorly?

OK. He has had two good games in a row. If he finishes out the season playing this well, he'll get up to average. Yippee!

He's kind of a microcosm of the Texans. He's had a couple of good games and so it is great expectations time - like when the Texans beat New Orleans two weeks ago. The problem is, these exceptional games aren't the realistic level. The usual performance, not the exception, is where he's at.

When he plays well consistently, and I don't mean he has to have multiple sacks a game but just have real impact on the opposing offense, then the level rises. Until then, nice game.

Yes, Reggie White level is what we expect from Mario every single game!!!! There's no room for mediocrity in a sophmore year.
:sarcasm:

Seriously man, he has had a positive impact in every game this year. Some of you posters kill me with your expectations...a record setting year for Mario and you arn't impressed with his progress???!!!!! My gosh man, has anyone here ever played defensive lineman?

Specnatz
12-02-2007, 05:36 PM

I never gave him unmitigated praise but he was the focal point of lashing out. How about trashing more deservidly bad play of others. He has been the most consistant player along the D-Line, of course that is not saying much but to critique his play above all others no matter of draft status or of whom we have signed as a free agent. Weaver has played the worst among any player along the D-Line and he deserves more criticsm than anyone but they only point to Mario.

Like I said he deserves some praise and some bad mouthing but lets be fair about it and not be critical of only one player.

A couple is two last I checked my referance manual and that is not true.

The1ApplePie
12-02-2007, 05:38 PM

I defended him a few times and got plastered yet when he has a good game those same individuals who trash him when he has some bad plays are no where to be seen.

If you are going to trash any player who has a bad game, when he has a good game you need to suck it up and say he played well. That is for any player. Be objective.

P.S. Dream i know the titans won but put that in your pipe and smoke it or stick it I could careless which.

Mario's been good, but he's also put up most of his numbers against
1. Air
2. Back up scrubs

Maybe he'll start getting sacks against real linemen instead of getting shut out by someone better than mediocre starters.

TexansSeminole
12-02-2007, 05:38 PM
The first sack he got was a good job pass rushing. That was probably my favorite sack he has made thus far.

The second sack was funny because I guess Vince Young was trying to be safe so he fell down instead of ran for it. Maybe he was trying to avoid the chance of fumbling? I thought that was kind of funny. It was still a good job by Mario because I think he was also in position to bat it down had VY tried to throw it.

He looks like he is playing with more hustle right now. Maybe he is just understanding things, but he just looks more active against the pass than he was earlier in the season.

He and DeMeco need to pick these guys up and start stopping the run more consistantly. It seems like we can be a pretty stout defense at times, yet we still have that inconsistancy. We really need to bring another linebacker in here IMO. It's starting to become a larger and larger need in my eyes.

BSofA04
12-02-2007, 05:41 PM
1. Air
2. Back up scrubs

Maybe he'll start getting sacks against real linemen instead of getting shut out by someone better than mediocre starters.

Sure the Chargers, Titans, Panthers, Jaguars, Colts, Raiders, Saints and Dolphins are a bunch of scrubs at LT.

Signed,
Mr. Unrealistic Expectations Hater for a guy who has set a record for Texan sacks in his sophmore year in only 12 games.....against scrubs apparently....

ObsiWan
12-02-2007, 05:46 PM
1. Air
2. Back up scrubs

sounds like the song of someone still longing for Reggie Bush.

Oh and show me the links that prove who was in the game when Mario got his sacks. If you can't/won't do that, you sound a lot like someone who wanted RB or VY.

nunusguy
12-02-2007, 05:50 PM
Mario is playing much better this year than last - being healthy makes a big difference in a players performance. So does getting some NFL experience under your belt. And I think him breaking the Texans annual sack record is worthy of some praise. OK, he got a gimme on the second full sack, but over the course of a season it kinda evens out as they say.
The thing that's interesting to me is that many are saying that Mario is really more of a run-stopper than an edge rusher, all the time while he is edging closer to a double-digit sack season in just his second year.

Fox
12-02-2007, 05:51 PM
1. Air
2. Back up scrubs

Good point, reminds me of how Freeney, Strahan, J. Taylor, and Peppers only get sacks against premier tackles. It's not like every DE gets sacks from protection problems, or against less than pro-bowl quality linemen, just Mario.

Seriously, the level of talent in the NFL is at a point where you hardly ever go against a cup cake. If Mario beats a back-up or gets into the backfield untouched, he still has to bring down Mr. Elusiveness-in-the-pocket himself, who, by the way, took one look at Mario bearing down on him for his second sack and collapsed Carr style without even attempting to evade him. Not a very Vince-like thing to do, wonder if it had anything to do with who he saw bearing down on him? If Mario had gotten juked out of his shoes people would be on here punking him for missing an "easy sack", but since he got him they're out here punking him because it was too easy. Guy can't win with some people. There are a lot of folks who like to point it out when Mario doesn't show up in the stat line, I think they're out of town on weeks when he does.

TexansSeminole
12-02-2007, 05:53 PM
Seriously, the level of talent in the NFL is at a point where you hardly ever go against a cup cake. If Mario beats a back-up or gets into the backfield untouched, he still has to bring down Mr. Elusiveness-in-the-pocket himself, who, by the way, took one look at Mario bearing down on him for his second sack and collapsed Carr style without even attempting to evade him. If Mario had gotten juked out of his shoes people would be on here punking him for missing an "easy sack", but since he got him they're out here punking him because it was too easy. Guy can't win with some people. There are a lot of folks who like to point it out when Mario doesn't show up in the stat line, I think they're out of town on weeks when he does.

I agree with this part of your post. :texflag:

BSofA04
12-02-2007, 05:58 PM
Mario had gotten juked out of his shoes people would be on here punking him for missing an "easy sack", but since he got him they're out here punking him because it was too easy. Guy can't win with some people. There are a lot of folks who like to point it out when Mario doesn't show up in the stat line, I think they're out of town on weeks when he does.

Preach on my man! Well said.

Wolf
12-02-2007, 05:59 PM
Good point, reminds me of how Freeney, Strahan, J. Taylor, and Peppers only get sacks against premier tackles. It's not like every DE gets sacks from protection problems, or against less than pro-bowl quality linemen, just Mario.

Seriously, the level of talent in the NFL is at a point where you hardly ever go against a cup cake. If Mario beats a back-up or gets into the backfield untouched, he still has to bring down Mr. Elusiveness-in-the-pocket himself, who, by the way, took one look at Mario bearing down on him for his second sack and collapsed Carr style without even attempting to evade him. Not a very Vince-like thing to do, wonder if it had anything to do with who he saw bearing down on him? If Mario had gotten juked out of his shoes people would be on here punking him for missing an "easy sack", but since he got him they're out here punking him because it was too easy. Guy can't win with some people. There are a lot of folks who like to point it out when Mario doesn't show up in the stat line, I think they're out of town on weeks when he does.

rep for you, exactly what I was thinking.

I couldn't imagine what the dvr people would do if they saw mario untouched and couldn't get to VY ...

so with the poor lineman the Texans have had along with Carr at Qb should we put an * next to their stats while going against the Texans?

Air comment, that isn't Mario's fault, that is the Titans fault for not accounting for him and putting a hat on him.

or should we put an * by VY's stats for that TD though with the blown coverage being Williams was wide open and VY throws well to WR's when noone is covering them?

(for the record , nice recognition by Vince on that horrible coverage)

Wolf
12-02-2007, 06:00 PM
Seriously, the level of talent in the NFL is at a point where you hardly ever go against a cup cake. If Mario beats a back-up or gets into the backfield untouched, he still has to bring down Mr. Elusiveness-in-the-pocket himself, who, by the way, took one look at Mario bearing down on him for his second sack and collapsed Carr style without even attempting to evade him. Not a very Vince-like thing to do, wonder if it had anything to do with who he saw bearing down on him?.

I think that play would even make Favre and Strahan smile

Specnatz
12-02-2007, 06:02 PM

My point exactly!! Well said.

CT CSTM
12-02-2007, 06:07 PM
My fear is that all the VY love in Houston and the semi-hate for Williams could drive him out of town.

Mario likes living here in Houston, he likes the stadium and the coaching staff. When he's out and about people have shown him nothing but love, we were out one night and people were very nice to him. We were just out trying to unwind and relax and he kept getting hit up for pictures and autographs and he was always nice and smiled and obliged each and every fan. We were coming out of one place one evening and a big group of guys came up and each one had to take a picture with him, got down to the last guy and the "ring leader" said,,,"mario, don't take a picture with this guy, he loves VY and couldn't stand that they picked you",,,what does MW do? He smiles real big, grabs the dude around the neck, pulls him to his side, smiles real big and says"Snap the picture!",,,the guy gave him a big high five and they all walked off laughing and cheering mario,,,the only "hate" he feels is from several local houston talk show personalities and some fans that call in about him,,,If he keeps playing like he's playing, by the time his contract is up there will be nothing but love for him and all of this VY,RB and MW issue will be nothing!

BSofA04
12-02-2007, 06:11 PM
Mario likes living here in Houston, he likes the stadium and the coaching staff. When he's out and about people have shown him nothing but love, we were out one night and people were very nice to him. We were just out trying to unwind and relax and he kept getting hit up for pictures and autographs and he was always nice and smiled and obliged each and every fan. We were coming out of one place one evening and a big group of guys came up and each one had to take a picture with him, got down to the last guy and the "ring leader" said,,,"mario, don't take a picture with this guy, he loves VY and couldn't stand that they picked you",,,what does MW do? He smiles real big, grabs the dude around the neck, pulls him to his side, smiles real big and says"Snap the picture!",,,the guy gave him a big high five and they all walked off laughing and cheering mario,,,the only "hate" he feels is from several local houston talk show personalities and some fans that call in about him,,,If he keeps playing like he's playing, by the time his contract is up there will be nothing but love for him and all of this VY,RB and MW issue will be nothing!
That makes me feel a lot better, thank you. I really hope that he decides to stay a Texan and show the NFL why he is the #1 pick. I'm glad that Mario is happy to be in Houston.

Runner
12-02-2007, 06:15 PM
Like I said he deserves some praise and some bad mouthing but lets be fair about it and not be critical of only one player.

Actually I'm more critical of the team for selecting him number one. Even if he's above average, he ends up being a waste of resources like most number one picks. I don't have anything against Mario.

That being said, I still don't think he has had as big an impact on opposing offenses as many times as many of you think. I actually counted it against him when Winslow was blocking him one on one on runs to his side. That just freed up the tackle to block the linebacker or double the DT. I didn't think that was dominant and it took away from the level of his game last week.

Have you seen my posts on the o-line? I certainly criticize players ther than Mario.

Specnatz
12-02-2007, 06:25 PM
Actually I'm more critical of the team for selecting him number one. Even if he's above average, he ends up being a waste of resources like most number one picks. I don't have anything against Mario.

That being said, I still don't think he has had as big an impact on opposing offenses as many times as many of you think. I actually counted it against him when Winslow was blocking him one on one on runs to his side. That just freed up the tackle to block the linebacker or double the DT. I didn't think that was dominant and it took away from the level of his game last week.

Have you seen my posts on the o-line? I certainly criticize players ther than Mario.

I critique the O-Line seperately from the D-Line and Mario. Which is my point, you criticize the O-Line and Mario but not the D-Line.

ObsiWan
12-02-2007, 06:51 PM

I'm curious, who would you have picked instead? And don't say "I would have traded down". They tried that, no one bit. So, assuming they didn't lie about trying to trade the #1 for multiple 3rd or 4th rounders, who would you have chosen as the #1 overall pick in 2006. Vince? Reggie? Joseph Addai?

I can't wait to hear this revisionist history.

ObsiWan
12-02-2007, 06:53 PM
Guess what!? SportsCenter just showed the Titans/Texans highlights. And the first play they showed was Mario running Vince down from behind.

Mario getting dap from ESPN! Its a sign of the Apocalypse I tell you!
:wild:

Runner
12-02-2007, 07:02 PM
I'm curious, who would you have picked instead? And don't say "I would have traded down". They tried that, no one bit. So, assuming they didn't lie about trying to trade the #1 for multiple 3rd or 4th rounders, who would you have chosen as the #1 overall pick in 2006. Vince? Reggie? Joseph Addai?

I can't wait to hear this revisionist history.

You're going to love this then. I felt strongly they should pick Mario Williams. Actually, I did prefer trade down but knew that was improbable - first overall picks are seldom worth it.

I'd have been happy with Bush. I didn't want Vince under any circumstances.

In hindsight, I'd take D'Brickashaw or A.J. Hawk. At least they play at a higher level consistently. Hawk and Demeco - not a bad linebacking duo, and they'd still have Weaver at SDE.

The difference is that I'm not letting my initial opinion color all my future observations. I'm also not overestimating his impact just because he's a Texan. I'm willing to admit my mistake and change my opinion based on new evidence. That way I didn't have to rely on those phantom double team explanations in year one, and the "he had 1 tackle and no sacks, but he domminated the line" reasoning of early this year.

Runner
12-02-2007, 07:05 PM
I critique the O-Line seperately from the D-Line and Mario. Which is my point, you criticize the O-Line and Mario but not the D-Line.

So since I don't criticize other players on the d-line* I'm wrong about Mario?

Oops - check my posts on Weaver; there goes that theory.

Maddict5
12-02-2007, 07:41 PM

He's kind of a microcosm of the Texans. He's had a couple of good games and so it is great expectations time - like when the Texans beat New Orleans two weeks ago. The problem is, these exceptional games aren't the realistic level. The usual performance, not the exception, is where he's at..

no the guys that go 'LOOK THEY RAN THAT PLAY RIGHT AT MARIO! HES A BUST!'.. and i think vinny and others are very good posters but everyone can see he/they has a thing for Vince (or other agendas) and are biased against mario in some of their posts--- they show a noticeable lack of posts when mario has a good game

and mario is only in his second yr and has shown a continuous improvement and work ethic/attitude... hes had 3/4 excellent/dominating games out of 12 this yr with many other decent/good performances so far compared to 0 in all of last yr and a couple where hes gone missing (growing pains)

undoubtedly hes our best lineman followed by tj.. and i think hed look even better than now if he had either/both decent secondary or decent bookend opposite him

You're going to love this then. I felt strongly they should pick Mario Williams. Actually, I did prefer trade down but knew that was improbable - first overall picks are seldom worth it.

I'd have been happy with Bush. I didn't want Vince under any circumstances.

In hindsight, I'd take D'Brickashaw or A.J. Hawk. At least they play at a higher level consistently. Hawk and Demeco - not a bad linebacking duo, and they'd still have Weaver at SDE.

not picking on you- just these were the posts i wanted to really respond to

not from what ive seen of him (and i was on his bandwagon).. and weaver sucks as a 4-3 DE so thats not a good reason to pick hawk (although his own play is enough!).. that was the mistake- we shouldve used that money somewhere else:gun:

stingray
12-02-2007, 08:00 PM
In hindsight, I'd take D'Brickashaw or A.J. Hawk. At least they play at a higher level consistently. Hawk and Demeco - not a bad linebacking duo, and they'd still have Weaver at SDE..

Are you kidding? D'brickishaw has been critisized all season long for his poor play.

TheRealJoker
12-02-2007, 08:03 PM
Mario appears to be the only one consistently turning in solid performances this year while Reggie and Vince have sort of regressed from year 1 to year 2.

bah007
12-02-2007, 08:08 PM
Mario appears to be the only one consistently turning in solid performances this year while Reggie and Vince have sort of regressed from year 1 to year 2.

Well QB is a difficult position to transition from a college shotgun offense to an NFL QB.

And decoy really isnt a position at all.

marks01234
12-02-2007, 08:09 PM
Are you kidding? D'brickishaw has been critisized all season long for his poor play.

D'Brick has given up something like 22 sacks since he has been in the league.

Remember guys, Mario is a full year younger than Hawk and D'Brick (and two years younger than Young). Heck he is still 22 years old, younger than a lot of DE prospects in this upcoming draft.

austintexanite
12-02-2007, 08:19 PM
D'Brick has given up something like 22 sacks since he has been in the league.

Remember guys, Mario is a full year younger than Hawk and D'Brick (and two years younger than Young). Heck he is still 22 years old, younger than a lot of DE prospects in this upcoming draft.

I always bring up that point to my friends and they just blow it off. He was a true Junior and younger than mostly everyone coming out that year.

kiwitexansfan
12-02-2007, 08:19 PM
For those that have been asking about where Mario's help is, remember Okoye is a kid. You had to expect him to get worn down by mid-season. Next year he will come back stronger, tougher and more durable.

TJ is showing flashes of why he was a first round pick, a huge improvement from previous seasons.

Weaver, well he is rubbish when it comes to getting pressure, no arguments there.

I think we are building a really good unit with good depth, one piece is missing though and that is the complementary end.

Wolf
12-02-2007, 08:31 PM
For those that have been asking about where Mario's help is, remember Okoye is a kid. You had to expect him to get worn down by mid-season. Next year he will come back stronger, tougher and more durable.

TJ is showing flashes of why he was a first round pick, a huge improvement from previous seasons.

Weaver, well he is rubbish when it comes to getting pressure, no arguments there.

I think we are building a really good unit with good depth, one piece is missing though and that is the complementary end.

sadly mario and Okoye have 8.5 and 5 sacks together..(maddox and Kalu with 3 totaled between them) and that is it for the d-line... Ryans has our other 2

Runner
12-02-2007, 08:34 PM

He is better than Salaam more than Mario is better than Weaver. Its about the biggest improvement for the team.

4Texans
12-02-2007, 08:46 PM
Mario was the right pick! He's just going to continue to get better and better. He's here for the long haul, every game, every D play!

Nice game today Mario!

:d:

4Texans
12-02-2007, 08:49 PM
And decoy really isnt a position at all.

Good one!!!!! lol:

Maddict5
12-02-2007, 08:51 PM
He is better than Salaam more than Mario is better than Weaver. Its about the biggest improvement for the team.

first off-thats even a push.... and its a terrible reason to draft a player and pay him alot of money- BPA remember?

Wolf
12-02-2007, 09:06 PM
I don't know what has happened to a certain Player that mario was compared to coming out of college, but mario is having a better season statwise so far..I think Peppers will get it going again(he has proven himself), I just hope mario can continue to grow and become a consistant force

Fox
12-02-2007, 09:09 PM

I find that argument highly questionable. Our team has 19 sacks. Mario has 8.5 of those, take away Mario and you nearly half our entire team's sack total. Salaam has hardly been good as our LT, but Ferguson hasn't been spectacular in comparison, IMO.

By the way..... Weaver has yet to record a sack this year. He had 1 last year. Plug Ferguson in for Salaam and give up a couple less sacks on the year so far. Plug in Weaver for Mario and cut our already meager pass rush production in half.

Runner
12-02-2007, 09:18 PM
By the way..... Weaver has yet to record a sack this year. He had 1 last year. Plug Ferguson in for Salaam and give up a couple less sacks on the year so far. Plug in Weaver for Mario and cut our already meager pass rush production in half.

Stats aside, there is an overall game to consider.

Mario's reputation as a run stuffer is highly questionable, and teams frequently block him - successfully - with tight ends.

Plug in Ferguson for Salaam and maybe Pitts plays better and the Texans might actually be able to run consistently, even in games that they pass well. This is supposed to be a running based attack, and they've had too many weak running games.

Maddict5
12-02-2007, 09:21 PM
jets arent exactly running wild either

Runner
12-02-2007, 09:26 PM
first off-thats even a push.... and its a terrible reason to draft a player and pay him alot of money- BPA remember?

Wow, thanks for the reminder, but I have some questiuons:

1) Was the BPA Mario?

1.a) Is the BPA debatable or a known, proven fact that it was Mario?

1.b) Best player where - at the combine or on the field?

2) Wasn't Demeco better than Mario last year...and this year?

2.a) So wouldn't Demeco be the BPA?

2.b) If Demeco was better, couldn't someone else have been?

3) I think it was terrible reason to draft a player #1 because he is a workout warrior, although he fooled me at the time too.

4) Is drafting the BPA an ironclad rule anyway?

Honoring Earl 34
12-02-2007, 09:32 PM

Mario's reputation as a run stuffer is highly questionable, and teams frequently block him - successfully - with tight ends.

Plug in Ferguson for Salaam and maybe Pitts plays better and the Texans might actually be able to run consistently, even in games that they pass well. This is supposed to be a running based attack, and they've had too many weak running games.

I thought Mario does well against the run ... except when he takes himself out of a play .

DBrick is just Ok at this point .

SI said Addai was the best out of that class .

Runner
12-02-2007, 09:39 PM
I thought Mario does well against the run ... except when he takes himself out of a play .

DBrick is just Ok at this point .

SI said Addai was the best out of that class .

I don't think the first point is true on a very consistent basis, but that's just IMO.

Second point: Many people assume Mario will just keep getting better; D'Brick will also - he's playing a more difficult position. At some point the Texans have to groom some young o-lineman* because what they have on the downside of their careers and not very good. He'd have been a great start.

Thirdly, either we didn't in fact take the BPA or SI hates the Texans too. :)

*At least it appears they need to fix the o-line; they haven't done it yet so maybe it really has been fine all these years.

Maddict5
12-02-2007, 09:41 PM
well yeah mario has played better than d'brick from what ive seen and others have also said.. although everything is debatable, most would say mario is the BPA over d'brick (of the expected top 4 players) right now

you said we shouldve taken D'brick because weaver is better than salaam (is that a fact or debatable?? you know if you want me to get all philosophical aswell) and (imo) because you hadnt seen d'brick play much and hadn't heard about his struggles so far

Maddict5
12-02-2007, 09:44 PM
Second point: Many people assume Mario will just keep getting better; D'Brick will also - he's playing a more difficult position. .

again, is that debatable or a known, proven fact? :)

Honoring Earl 34
12-02-2007, 09:46 PM
I don't think the first point is true on a very consistent basis, but that's just IMO.

Second point: Many people assume Mario will just keep getting better; D'Brick will also - he's playing a more difficult position. At some point the Texans have to groom some young o-lineman* because what they have on the downside of their careers and not very good. He'd have been a great start.

Thirdly, either we didn't in fact take the BPA or SI hates the Texans too. :)

*At least it appears they need to fix the o-line; they haven't done it yet so maybe it really has been fine all these years.

I think we do need young prospects for the OL . I think we need some maulers because we play the Titans and Jaguars two times each year .

marks01234
12-02-2007, 09:47 PM
Boy this thread really went to crap.

Can anybody honestly say at this point, that D'Brick is a better player than Mario?

Runner
again, is that debatable or a known, proven fact? :)

It is debatable, however many football people think left tackle is a difficult position to play. Go figure.

I think a lot of defensive ends thinks otherwise.

What's your opinion?

TEXANRED
I personally am very excited about Williams. He really is looking better and better as the year has gone on. I believe that he has turned on that proverbial light switch.

Now if we can get an OLB that can rush the passer.......

Runner
12-02-2007, 09:50 PM
Boy this thread really went to crap.

Can anybody honestly say at this point, that D'Brick is a better player than Mario?

People can give their opinion. I think that's what the board is for, but let's stick with the facts.

Mario is a Texan. D'Brickashaw isn't a Texan.

Now that the facts have been stated, should the thread be locked?

Maddict5
12-02-2007, 09:53 PM
It is debatable, however many football people think left tackle is a difficult position to play. Go figure.

What's your opinion?

i agree lt is a difficult position bit i actually think DE's have it tougher- they get gameplanned for, nevermind the fact that just trying to get by somebody in 3 seconds is alot harder to do than to stop somebody for 3 seconds.. you can help out an ot with a te and rb if needs be etc

plus an ot knows his assignment before most snaps- a de has to read and react more

Maddict5
12-02-2007, 09:55 PM
Now if we can get an OLB that can rush the passer.......

in fairness i know we dont have great olb's but i think that shows our lack of blitzing.. and when we do blitz it seems to be demeco that gets the call (he is a fine blitzer though)

TheRealJoker
12-02-2007, 09:56 PM
Lets not forget that Mario doesn't play just one position. Since he's been here he's played every position on the DL and has even been stood up a few times like an OLB.

Marcus
12-02-2007, 10:15 PM
Wow, thanks for the reminder, but I have some questiuons:

1) Was the BPA Mario?

1.a) Is the BPA debatable or a known, proven fact that it was Mario?

1.b) Best player where - at the combine or on the field?

2) Wasn't Demeco better than Mario last year...and this year?

2.a) So wouldn't Demeco be the BPA?

2.b) If Demeco was better, couldn't someone else have been?

3) I think it was terrible reason to draft a player #1 because he is a workout warrior, although he fooled me at the time too.

4) Is drafting the BPA an ironclad rule anyway?

Is it debatable that your questions are retrospective, or is it a proven fact? ;)

Runner
12-02-2007, 10:20 PM
Is it debatable that your questions are retrospective, or is it a proven fact? ;)

I don't know. I've pretty much lost track of what I was talking about.

Fox
12-02-2007, 10:35 PM

From my own viewing I think Mario plays well against the run when he recognizes the play and doesn't run himself out of it. He can definitely get better, and judging from what I've seen so far he will continue to get better. As far as blocking him with a tight end goes.... he has the fourth highest sack total in the AFC, maybe they should think of some different ways to go about blocking him.

So with Ferguson, maybe he gives us a little more in the ground game. We give up half of our pass rush. Overall game considered, I just don't see a net gain from Ferguson over Mario.

RagingBull
12-02-2007, 11:25 PM
Mario has more sacks than any other second (or first) year player in the NFL. Therefore, he was the best player available at the position of need that the Texans were trying to fill (pass rusher).

Texanmike02
12-02-2007, 11:35 PM
I've said before I thought Mario was the right pick. He wasn't the "sexy" pic.. then again if we have people asking for pic's of his sack...

Mike

wow, I shouldn't have gone there.

run-david-run
12-02-2007, 11:38 PM

I remeber that play against Cleveland. At the same time, I remeber the first drive the Browns had when they doubled Mario on third and short and he broke through the double team and pulled Lewis back short of the marker. What that leads me to belive is that Mario just isn't that quick in diagnosing plays, especially runs. This, like almost all of his problems, has to do with experiance and learing curve, not talent. Now more then ever, I think we have made the right choice. Of course, its easy to say that after a 7 tackle, 2.5 sack performance, but its looking pretty smart so far.

run-david-run
12-02-2007, 11:41 PM
I always bring up that point to my friends and they just blow it off. He was a true Junior and younger than mostly everyone coming out that year.
He was the youngest player in the draft. Combined with Okoye, and its no joke when we say we have a YOUNG D-line.

run-david-run
12-02-2007, 11:54 PM

What's your opinion?

Well, umm, tackle and defensive end are quite inextricably linked. More then any other position comparison, tackle vs end is an individual battle for almost the entire game. (Corners have safties, pass rush, etc.) Most positions have complicating factors, but apart from the David Carrs or Peyton Mannings of the world at Qb, the guy across from you dictates how hard your day is going to be. Since Mario has basically been the pass rush this year (and a pretty strong candidate for our best player, defensive or otherwise), while D'Brick has been abused on a number of ocassions, I think that agument has a pretty decisive edge in #90's favour.
In regards to what is more important, a great tackle or great defensive end, I would say it depends on your team and division. We have Peyton Manning and a history of two-minute drill nightmares working against us. I would say for us, Mario at his potential best is a proposition that is hard to pass up for anyone else in the 06 draft.

BigBull17
12-02-2007, 11:57 PM
Mario and Ron both had great games today. I hope a lot of people give both of them credit, because they have been playing good since we came off our bye week. Ron has shown that he has heart and continues to prove the majority of us wrong, including myself. In no way am I saying he's the answer, but he has played very hard the past two years when it starts to get cold. :texflag:

Now I can feel fine going into a season with Dayne as the started, IF we get someone with speed and explosiveness. Dayne is dependable enough, but we need a recieving threat and a guy who can hit a home run. Oh, and a playcaller who feeds a back when he is running well...

HoustonFrog
12-03-2007, 08:40 AM
Good game today but this is reminding me of his college career. Big numbers in a few games and disappearing and nowhere in sight for a majority of games. There is the rub for me. I want to see todays intensity every game. But today he looked good. I'll give him 1.5 and one gimmee :)

HJam72
12-03-2007, 08:46 AM
Is it just me, or does Dayne get tripped up awefully easy for a heavy RB? I never see his legs break an arm tackle. Is he leaning forward too much?

Seems like the main reason he never gets any really big runs (at least for his speed anyway) is because it just takes one cornerback's (or whoever) arm to hit one of his ankles and he's goin' down. Granted, he ALWAYS falls forward, but where's those powerful strides? Bad balance? NO balance?

Anyway, he's doing better than I thought he would overall.

dalemurphy
12-03-2007, 09:02 AM
Good game today but this is reminding me of his college career. Big numbers in a few games and disappearing and nowhere in sight for a majority of games. There is the rub for me. I want to see todays intensity every game. But today he looked good. I'll give him 1.5 and one gimmee :)

The NFL isn't the same as golf. You are actually playing against an entire team each week. Each team has different tendencies, game plans, philosophies, and players. It's impossible for a player to produce consistant numbers. Look at guys like Dwight Freeney: he gets 3 sacks and 2 forced fumbles one game, and the next game goes without a tackle... his intensity hasn't changed but the team he's playing has.

HoustonFrog
12-03-2007, 09:10 AM
The NFL isn't the same as golf. You are actually playing against an entire team each week. Each team has different tendencies, game plans, philosophies, and players. It's impossible for a player to produce consistant numbers. Look at guys like Dwight Freeney: he gets 3 sacks and 2 forced fumbles one game, and the next game goes without a tackle... his intensity hasn't changed but the team he's playing has.

I'm not saying he has to put up those numbers. I'm talking about intensity and moves, etc. I've seen him come out of his shell a couple of games this year and I've seen him be non-existent some games. That is all I want. That same intensity. But I like what I'm seeing lately.

All pass rushers get freebies from time to time over the course of their careers or even a single season. Ever see that sack that Farve actually "gave" Strahan several years ago that let Stahan set an NFL record ?
Mario has played very well in 2 of the last 3 games. I dunno maybe its just playing against VY or Bush gets his competitive juices flowing, maybe just a coincidence they were in his best games of the season ? But lets see if this is a pattern that holds over the last 4 games of the season.
But I'm real pleased from what we are seeing in Mario right now !

I know, thus the smile.

nunusguy
12-03-2007, 09:10 AM
I'll give him 1.5 and one gimmee :)
All pass rushers get freebies from time to time over the course of their careers or even a single season. Ever see that sack that Farve actually "gave" Strahan several years ago that let Stahan set an NFL record ?
Mario has played very well in 2 of the last 3 games. I dunno maybe its just playing against VY or Bush gets his competitive juices flowing, maybe just a coincidence they were in his best games of the season ? But lets see if this is a pattern that holds over the last 4 games of the season.
But I'm real pleased from what we are seeing in Mario right now !

bigbrewster2000
12-03-2007, 09:36 AM

Well the thing is that you would not really be plugging in Dbrick for Salaam. Technically, you would be plugging him in for Spencer, and instead of a 3rd rounder getting his leg broken, you are potentially looking at a 1st overall pick out for 2 seasons, and to add insult to injury 8.5 less sacks this season.:cool:

They made the right picks IMO, our team just has the worst luck ever, when it comes to injury.

Now back to the thread, this is Mario's 3rd straight good game. It looks like the light really has turned on, and I don't really know why there isn't more excitement about it. This is what we have all been waiting for.

One point that I havent seen on here about the "gimmie" sack is that while Mario was not blocked he didn't bite on the play fake and stayed at home which did not allow VY to run open down field. I thought it was a much better play than just a free sack. Mario is growing up and that is one of many plays where it is showing.

Ole Miss Texan
12-03-2007, 09:50 AM
Jared Allen is the ONLY Defensive End in the AFC that has more sacks than Mario.

Pro Bowl is not out of the question this year.

Hook'er
12-03-2007, 10:09 AM
Super Mario!..............I think he has 9 & a half right now with 4 games to go.:texflag:

Lucky
12-03-2007, 10:12 AM
Super Mario!..............I think he has 9 & a half right now with 4 games to go.:texflag:
8.5 sacks

Hook'er
12-03-2007, 10:21 AM
Dang!...........still needs 1 & a half.

hadaad
12-03-2007, 10:47 AM
I was originally big in the camp of drafting D'Brickashaw Ferguson (and every other big LT prospect since our inception) and considering the horrible horrible state our pass protection has been, I don't back down from that.

Mario Williams is awesome either way.

BigBull17
12-03-2007, 11:25 AM
Well the thing is that you would not really be plugging in Dbrick for Salaam. Technically, you would be plugging him in for Spencer, and instead of a 3rd rounder getting his leg broken, you are potentially looking at a 1st overall pick out for 2 seasons, and to add insult to injury 8.5 less sacks this season.:cool:

They made the right picks IMO, our team just has the worst luck ever, when it comes to injury.

Now back to the thread, this is Mario's 3rd straight good game. It looks like the light really has turned on, and I don't really know why there isn't more excitement about it. This is what we have all been waiting for.

One point that I havent seen on here about the "gimmie" sack is that while Mario was not blocked he didn't bite on the play fake and stayed at home which did not allow VY to run open down field. I thought it was a much better play than just a free sack. Mario is growing up and that is one of many plays where it is showing.

Good call. I t was a naked boot, and Mario stayed at home to make the play. And Vince didnt want any part of #90

TexanAddict
12-03-2007, 03:34 PM
Jared Allen is the ONLY Defensive End in the AFC that has more sacks than Mario.

Pro Bowl is not out of the question this year.

QFT

He is also tied for 5th among AFC DEs with 40 tackles and has two FF and a TD. He is definitely still in the mix. Everybody needs to get to voting.

Bubbajwp
12-03-2007, 04:40 PM
Is it just me, or does Dayne get tripped up awefully easy for a heavy RB? I never see his legs break an arm tackle. Is he leaning forward too much?

Seems like the main reason he never gets any really big runs (at least for his speed anyway) is because it just takes one cornerback's (or whoever) arm to hit one of his ankles and he's goin' down. Granted, he ALWAYS falls forward, but where's those powerful strides? Bad balance? NO balance?

Anyway, he's doing better than I thought he would overall.

I was thinking this same thing while watching the game.

Rex King
12-03-2007, 06:33 PM
I remeber that play against Cleveland. At the same time, I remeber the first drive the Browns had when they doubled Mario on third and short and he broke through the double team and pulled Lewis back short of the marker. What that leads me to belive is that Mario just isn't that quick in diagnosing plays, especially runs. This, like almost all of his problems, has to do with experiance and learing curve, not talent. Now more then ever, I think we have made the right choice. Of course, its easy to say that after a 7 tackle, 2.5 sack performance, but its looking pretty smart so far.

Since the Saints game, he's looked a LOT better at diagnosing plays. Again, he wasn't able to practice half of his rookie year, when he could have gained valuable experience in picking up keys and all that. He did a very good at outside contain against VY.

TexansFanatic
12-03-2007, 06:48 PM
I can't imagine any Texans fan not getting excited about the prospect of Mario being on the cusp of a double-digit sack season in his second year. Why would you go out of your way to split hairs on what counts as a "real" sack or a "gimme" sack? Numbers are numbers. They work the same way for every athlete.

If we're going to set a bar, let's not raise the bar in the middle of a campaign. Assuming Mario gets 12 sacks this year, are we really going to sit and try to find mitigating factors that detract from that number? If you want to find ways to remain unhappy about a pick you didn't initially like, well, I feel sorry for you because it essentially means you'd prefer to be unhappy.

2ToneBlue
12-03-2007, 06:57 PM
Mario seems to be getting it down, he's bringing pressure and getting sacks. That's about all you can ask from a DE.

You can always want more, but even as a Titans fan I can see that he's doing well. He's not making mistakes and costing the team games.

Ole Miss Texan
12-04-2007, 10:33 AM
I can't imagine any Texans fan not getting excited about the prospect of Mario being on the cusp of a double-digit sack season in his second year. Why would you go out of your way to split hairs on what counts as a "real" sack or a "gimme" sack? Numbers are numbers. They work the same way for every athlete.

Good post. And for those that want to play the game of..'oh that was a gimme sack'...They must go back and watch every game of every team to subtract those 'gimme' sacks from the other defensive players in order to get a FAIR reading as to how Mario and the Others compare. It's a part of the game and Mario isn't the only one racking those up.

dtran04
12-04-2007, 10:34 AM
A gimme sack is just like a gimme TD.

bah007
12-04-2007, 10:40 AM
Good post. And for those that want to play the game of..'oh that was a gimme sack'...They must go back and watch every game of every team to subtract those 'gimme' sacks from the other defensive players in order to get a FAIR reading as to how Mario and the Others compare. It's a part of the game and Mario isn't the only one racking those up.

Well just like Reggie Bush gets his own statistic (Total Yards) to inflate his stats, I wouldnt be suprised to see ESPN come out with a new stat for Mario called gimme sacks just so they could deflate his stats.

HoustonFrog
12-04-2007, 10:43 AM
I'm excited about Mario and the last few games. I hope he continues to improve. I'm just not sure why people are up in arms about "gimmee sacks." I brought it up twice and it isn't necessarily a bad thing. It is an observation. The guy gets some good ones. Same thing happened last year. It happens. Oh well. Alot of stuff happens in the NFL like blown coverage.

Mr teX
12-04-2007, 10:58 AM
I'm excited about Mario and the last few games. I hope he continues to improve. I'm just not sure why people are up in arms about "gimmee sacks." I brought it up twice and it isn't necessarily a bad thing. It is an observation. The guy gets some good ones. Same thing happened last year. It happens. Oh well. Alot of stuff happens in the NFL like blown coverage.

Blown coverage? not on our team!

nunusguy
12-04-2007, 11:01 AM
I dunno, has Mario got any chance of making the Pro Bowl this year ?
I vote for him (and DeMeco and did D-Rob before his injury) every day or 2, but don't think either has a chance of making a trip to Honolulu this year ?
We've got to get a higher more positive profile here with the Texans before those guys, no matter how worthy, get a chance to visit Honolulu in the winter.

tulexan
12-04-2007, 11:05 AM
I vote for him (and DeMeco and did D-Rob before his injury) every day or 2, but don't think either has a chance of making a trip to Honolulu this year ?
We've got to get a higher more positive profile here with the Texans before those guys, no matter how worthy, get a chance to visit Honolulu in the winter.

He has an outside shot, but needs to keep the pace of the last few games. He is currently #2 in sacks for AFC defensive linemen.

austintexanite
12-04-2007, 11:05 AM

If fans do their homework, he has a great shot of making it to Hawaii. He's second in the AFC in sacks and a DE. However, seeing as many people think he was a bad choice, I doubt he'll get voted in. There is a chance that he could get voted in bye the coaches and players. I believe they count for 2/3 of the vote, but I could be wrong. :texflag:

Specnatz
12-04-2007, 11:19 AM
If fans do their homework, he has a great shot of making it to Hawaii. He's second in the AFC in sacks and a DE. However, seeing as many people think he was a bad choice, I doubt he'll get voted in. There is a chance that he could get voted in bye the coaches and players. I believe they count for 2/3 of the vote, but I could be wrong. :texflag:

Do not forget espin has not said one blasted word about it and will not because they blasted the Texans for taking him.

austintexanite
12-04-2007, 11:49 AM
Do not forget espin has not said one blasted word about it and will not because they blasted the Texans for taking him.

Agree completely, I get amused that they make excuses for Bush but nothing for Mario. Hey, at least they showed him sack Vince and reported that he had 2.5 sacks that game; remember they did not show the Texans and Saints highlights.

nunusguy
12-04-2007, 12:00 PM
I believe they count for 2/3 of the vote, but I could be wrong. :texflag:
Really ?
You mean a player who doesn't get votes by the fans could still get in with player & coach votes ? And in reverse, a guy who was voted in by fans
but who didn't receive player & coach votes might fail to be named to Pro Bowl ?

austintexanite
12-04-2007, 12:01 PM
Really ?
You mean a player who doesn't get votes by the fans could still get in with player & coach votes ? And in reverse, a guy who was voted in by fans
but who didn't receive player & coach votes might fail to be named to Pro Bowl ?

I think that happened to TO or Moss a couple of years ago, where the fans voted them in but the NFL alumni did not.

Errant Hothy
12-04-2007, 12:26 PM
A quick liner from an ESPN chat:

Tim (Houston, Tx): Do you think that Mario Williams has started to figure out some things in the pro game, or is his recent succes just a flash in the pan?

Matt Williamson: (1:23 PM ET ) Not a flash. Going to be a Pro Bowl caliber DE.

http://proxy.espn.go.com/chat/chatESPN?event_id=18343

For those wondering, yes my name is Tim, and yes i know I'm not in Houston (but I find it easier to get chat questions answered if you say you are in the city that the team you are asking about is in) and yes work is really, really, really slow this time of year.

Second Honeymoon
12-04-2007, 12:51 PM
Mario has made some plays lately and is hopefully starting to turn the corner in his career. As an earlier post stated, he has a chance to make the Pro Bowl in the AFC. A pretty good chance especially if he can surpass double digit sacks and maybe another forced fumble or two. The upside is the guy is pretty bright and he seems to be learning how to read plays and has steadily improved with his play against the screen.

Everyone wants this guy to succeed. He is starting to do what it takes and his stats look pretty good.

b0ng
12-04-2007, 12:58 PM
A quick liner from an ESPN chat:

http://proxy.espn.go.com/chat/chatESPN?event_id=18343

For those wondering, yes my name is Tim, and yes i know I'm not in Houston (but I find it easier to get chat questions answered if you say you are in the city that the team you are asking about is in) and yes work is really, really, really slow this time of year.

That right there is a freaking thing of beauty. I think a lot more people are coming around on Mario Williams being a good DE. They might still rag him for being a #1 pick, but you really can't deny that he can usually be good for some pressure and a sack or two in a given game.

Right pick or not, I think for the Texans, he is the one who is performing best, out of the top 5 that were picked in '06.

b0ng
12-04-2007, 01:05 PM
As an aside, the NFL Defensive players of the week nominees are up, and Jovian Haye (J. Haye 2-0 1.0 0 1) got nominated over Williams (M. Williams 3-4 2.5 0 0). What do you guys think?

bah007
12-04-2007, 01:09 PM
As an aside, the NFL Defensive players of the week nominees are up, and Jovian Haye (J. Haye 2-0 1.0 0 1) got nominated over Williams (M. Williams 3-4 2.5 0 0). What do you guys think?

Robbed.

austintexanite
12-04-2007, 01:12 PM

Honestly, I'm not surprised but extremely disappointed. Looks like he'll have to score another TD to get some recognition.

TheRealJoker
12-04-2007, 01:15 PM
Mario didn't get nominated because his team didn't win their football game.

b0ng
12-04-2007, 01:15 PM
Mario didn't get nominated because his team didn't win their football game.

Is that really a criteria for nomination?

TheRealJoker
12-04-2007, 01:18 PM
Is that really a criteria for nomination?

It looks like it considering this week all the nominees played for the winning team and when Mario won in week 1 we won...

b0ng
12-04-2007, 01:37 PM
I can't seem to find a list of all the nominee's for the year so far. I really wanted to just shoot you down with that criteria, but you could be right.

Even so, that still seems kind of silly as I've seen a player have a great defensive game and the rest of the team just craps the bed and he gets overlooked.

TheRealJoker
12-04-2007, 01:39 PM
If anyone gets nominated off of a loss they'd have to have a monster game like Umenyiora against the Eagles (Giants won though!!!). But if a player has 6 sacks or 3 INTs or whatever normally their team will win lol.

Bulluck53
12-04-2007, 06:35 PM
Ha, this might rile yall up tonight.

On his radio show, Fish just made reference to Mario's sack of Vince where VY fell to avoid the big hit. He mentioned the Favre-Strahan deal a few years aog.

Discuss

Fox
12-04-2007, 06:38 PM

On his radio show, Fish just made reference to Mario's sack of Vince where VY fell to avoid the big hit. He mentioned the Favre-Strahan deal a few years aog.

Discuss

Seems like something Titans fans would get more riled about than Texans fans. Your player was scared of taking a hit by our player, so he gave up and fell down.

Brando
12-04-2007, 06:39 PM

Discuss

Who cares?:yawn:

Bulluck53
12-04-2007, 06:39 PM
Haha if you would like to look at it that way... I was extremely happy he did that instead of try and throw it 'away' (because we all know Vince's 'away' is to the other team)

I just wanted to say it. I know some people had mentioned it over here and wanted to see your response. If this had been the Jags board they would have erupted.

Fox
12-04-2007, 06:42 PM
Haha if you would like to look at it that way... I was extremely happy he did that instead of try and throw it 'away' (because we all know Vince's 'away' is to the other team)

I just wanted to say it. I know some people had mentioned it over here and wanted to see your response. If this had been the Jags board they would have erupted.

We had a quarterback who trademarked that maneuver, the fans of the opposing team never seemed to mind.

Bulluck53
12-04-2007, 06:44 PM
The fall over maneuver? I mentioned it because he wasn't giving Mario credit for it, I just figured since both of our fanbases are so defensive of our picks last year it would be a fun conversation. I appologize.

Fox
12-04-2007, 06:46 PM
The fall over maneuver? I mentioned it because he wasn't giving Mario credit for it, I just figured since both of our fanbases are so defensive of our picks last year it would be a fun conversation. I appologize.

lol not trying to chastise you, just giving my opinion, no worries. Young hardly ever gives opposing teams an easy sack, he usually stands up with 3-4 guys on him and still tries to throw it. I still gave Mario some dap for the play because I think Young may have decided to pull a Carr when he saw who it was who was about to hit him.

TexansSeminole
12-04-2007, 06:50 PM

From what I saw, Young had play action. It was a key point in the game, a mistake costs his team dearly. He turns to start to rollout but Mario is ready to either knock down his pass or chase him. It just looked like he didn't want to risk a bad play. Maybe he slipped, but I thought it was a smart play for him. Mario would probably have run him down and when your running away from a defender and getting tackled there is a higher probability to fumble and/or get injured.

Bulluck53
12-04-2007, 06:51 PM
Boo to all of you. You're supposed to be angry and in turn entertain me :bat:

bigfan77801
12-04-2007, 06:53 PM

Why be mad, Vince just gave up and did a Mr. Mittens:d:

TexansSeminole
12-04-2007, 06:53 PM

Entertain you, annoy us. Continue to not annoy. That's smarter. :shades:

Bulluck53
12-04-2007, 06:55 PM
Ha then whats the point of being here?

TexansLucky13
12-04-2007, 06:55 PM

Why? You entertain me every time you mention that Vince Young is a Titan. I smile inside, thank God, then laugh a little.

What a joke.

Bulluck53
12-04-2007, 06:57 PM
Why? You entertain me every time you mention that Vince Young is a Titan. I smile inside, thank God, then laugh a little.

What a joke.

Not a joke, he's THA FUTUA!!!!!... or so they say. We can both be happy we don't have Reggie.

TexansLucky13
Not a joke, he's THA FUTUA!!!!!... or so they say. We can both be happy we don't have Reggie.

Fair enough. Cheers to that!

:doot:

TexansSeminole
Ha then whats the point of being here?

I have no idea why you are here...the hell you asking me for?

Bulluck53
12-04-2007, 07:02 PM
To annoy you?

I post here more then the Titans' boards. What does that mean?

TexansLucky13
12-04-2007, 07:04 PM
To annoy you?

I post here more then the Titans' boards. What does that mean?

That means that you and Kastofsna should be good buddies.

:tease:

Bulluck53
12-04-2007, 07:05 PM
Is he embarrassed by his team's fans as well?

TexansLucky13
12-04-2007, 07:07 PM

lol, I don't think so.... but he posts on here all the time. I actually enjoy reading the posts of other teams fans, unless they are trolling. Good to have some variety.

Bulluck53
12-04-2007, 07:08 PM
Thats why I come here and NFL boards instead of there, except for news.

b0ng
12-04-2007, 07:13 PM
Well, giving Williams a free sack and all is nice, but if you look, it seems like the Titans watched gametape of Cleveland, and saw the play where Mario went unhindered to go sack Derek Anderson, and decided that was a smart play.

I swear it was like I was watching a DVR of the play, only the offense just had different uniforms.

Maybe other teams are trying to inflate Mario's numbers? ?

Thats why I come here and NFL boards instead of there, except for news.

What NFL boards? Rivals?

Bulluck53
12-04-2007, 07:15 PM
I don't think I am at liberty to say on the forums.

infantrycak
12-04-2007, 07:33 PM
I don't think I am at liberty to say on the forums.

You may identify where else you post. We just don't want spamming solicitations to other MB's.

Bulluck53
12-04-2007, 07:35 PM
You said it,

I spend most of my time at Gridironfans.com and NFL-Fanatix.com

If you wanted to run by those and check them out, know that Fanatix is not yet open to new members (and its actually down right now anyways)... thats a long story.

Thorn
12-04-2007, 07:39 PM
In ESPN's weekly team rankings, the comment on the Texans this week is:

We hate to keep pointing out the improved play of Mario Williams, but his 2-1/2 sacks against the Titans gives him a team-record 8-1/2 this season. That's just a half-sack less than Michael Strahan and a half more than Jason Taylor.

And ESPN dropped our NFL ranking from 21 to 22 for the week.

BigBull17
12-04-2007, 07:44 PM
Mario makes plays that piss you off, thats true. But then he makes plays that make you say wow. He ran down VY from behind. How many DE could do that? I dont think the list is too long.

b0ng
12-04-2007, 09:05 PM
In ESPN's weekly team rankings, the comment on the Texans this week is:

Wow, I don't even know if that comment makes me really angry, or hysterical. Are they saying they don't like talking about Williams better play?

EDIT: Thanks for the links Bulluck. You're allright by me

Hookem Horns
12-04-2007, 09:54 PM
We hate to keep pointing out the improved play of Mario Williams, but his 2-1/2 sacks against the Titans gives him a team-record 8-1/2 this season. That's just a half-sack less than Michael Strahan and a half more than Jason Taylor.

I just noticed that too. Mario clearly is having the best season so far of the "big three".

dtran04
12-04-2007, 10:00 PM
The thing that stood out to me last game was Vince just flopping on the ground once he saw Mario. I expected a pump fake, juke, something. I guess that can be interpreted as a level of respect, or fearing for his life. :)

run-david-run
12-04-2007, 11:13 PM
He is a Dolphins fan, so he is emabrassed by his team and his team's fans.

threetoedpete
12-05-2007, 12:17 AM
7 tackles and 2.5 sacks. Mario has 8.5 of our 20 sacks on the season, great for him, terrible for the rest of the team. Okoye has disapeared after a bright start, and I think we only have 1 sack from a defensive end other then Mario. Weaver is holding us back in the pass rush. Mario needs to stay at LDE permenantly and we need to add a speed rusher at RDE capable of getting pressure. TJ and Okoye could turn out to be a great DT combination, but the final piece needs to be added. The positive part of this equation is that you can find a Mark Anderson type DE in the second day of the draft.

I told you at the first of the season Okoye would hit the wall. All rookies do. He is a good player who also will only get better with every snap. He will eventully throw his leg over the wall and pull himself over. Just need a six pack of patientence.
Our speed rusher is Kalu.

They have six picks and just had the core of the o-line decimated by injury. Color me sceptical, three of the six picks this draft may be on o-lineman. One guy you haven't seen for two seasons. One guy has a leg shattered in three places... one guy an MCL....and you will still have a whole at center. They may hit a Rb and Corner. I see a speed rusher guy in '08 as an over the top luxuary they cannot afford at the expense of starting over with a new QB again. Not going to happen unless the can find a guy burried on someones practice squad.

BattleRedToro
12-05-2007, 06:52 AM
I told you at the first of the season Okoye would hit the wall. All rookies do. He is a good player who also will only get better with every snap. He will eventully throw his leg over the wall and pull himself over. Just need a six pack of patientence.
Our speed rusher is Kalu.

They have six picks and just had the core of the o-line decimated by injury. Color me sceptical, three of the six picks this draft may be on o-lineman. One guy you haven't seen for two seasons. One guy has a leg shattered in three places... one guy an MCL....and you will still have a whole at center. They may hit a Rb and Corner. I see a speed rusher guy in '08 as an over the top luxuary they cannot afford at the expense of starting over with a new QB again. Not going to happen unless the can find a guy burried on someones practice squad.

The Texans may address their need for a speedy edge-rushing DE in Free Agency depending on what will be available and how the decide to fill out their Salary Cap.

Personally, I would love to see the Texans try and fill some of the wholes on the Defensive side with Free Agents like CB Asante Samuel, and RDE Terrell Suggs. Then they can concentrate on the Offensive side of the ball in the draft, particularly O-Line.

BigBull17
12-05-2007, 07:09 AM
The Texans may address their need for a speedy edge-rushing DE in Free Agency depending on what will be available and how the decide to fill out their Salary Cap.

Personally, I would love to see the Texans try and fill some of the wholes on the Defensive side with Free Agents like CB Asante Samuel, and RDE Terrell Suggs. Then they can concentrate on the Offensive side of the ball in the draft, particularly O-Line.

No way they touch that cry baby. He isnt the kind of player we go after. He will make some good plays, then he will get you a yellow hanky and 15 yards the easy way. That is one of the most undiscaplined teams I have ever seen. Granted, he has scary good talent, but not so good hes worth 15 yrd penalties because he throws a hissy fit.

b0ng
12-05-2007, 09:33 AM

Samuels is trying to get paaaaiiiiiiiiiid when he leaves the Patriots. I'd rather pass on him, and get somebody like Nnamdi Asomugha (http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_main.aspx?sport=NFL&id=77) (who has a player option coming up this year). After him, if we're playing fantasy free agent signings then I'd go for some talent in the OLB department with Lance Briggs (http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_main.aspx?sport=NFL&id=2438) who will be pricey, but I think will be well worth it. The Bears are trying desperately to get him to sign, and he's not having it.

But yeah, those two guys you mention, I think are just not going to be worth the money that they will want, and I think the two guys I listed would be better FA options if we are trying to make a huge splash.

powerfuldragon
12-05-2007, 10:21 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v15/TheKingOfBums/1upmushroom.png

Double Barrel
12-05-2007, 10:29 AM
They have six picks and just had the core of the o-line decimated by injury. Color me sceptical, three of the six picks this draft may be on o-lineman.

Promise? :shades:

I wouldn't complain.

I'd love to add Samuel to the squad, but I think he's going to ask too much for us to be a serious option. Although with D.Rob's future uncertain, especially with regards to how he will be when he returns, a shut-down CB would be something we severely need. With Bennet on the other side, maybe Dunta becomes a safety? Just food for thought on my part.

TexansSeminole
12-05-2007, 11:12 AM
Promise? :shades:

I wouldn't complain.

I'd love to add Samuel to the squad, but I think he's going to ask too much for us to be a serious option. Although with D.Rob's future uncertain, especially with regards to how he will be when he returns, a shut-down CB would be something we severely need. With Bennet on the other side, maybe Dunta becomes a safety? Just food for thought on my part.

Either way, we need to prepare for Dunta to either not be able to play or not continue at CB. We just have to see it for the worst it could be. We can't go into next season with Bennett and Von Hutchins starting.

b0ng
12-05-2007, 11:32 AM
Either way, we need to prepare for Dunta to either not be able to play or not continue at CB. We just have to see it for the worst it could be. We can't go into next season with Bennett and Von Hutchins starting.

Bennett starting I'm okay with, but Von Hutchins is definitely backup material. He's a decent tackler but he just really doesn't seem adept at putting close coverage on wideouts.

TexansSeminole
12-05-2007, 11:37 AM
Bennett starting I'm okay with, but Von Hutchins is definitely backup material. He's a decent tackler but he just really doesn't seem adept at putting close coverage on wideouts.

Bennett starting is ok, but he is going to look ALOT worse if the corner on the other side can't hold his own.

The thing about D-Rob is that during most games, no matter who was starting on the other side, he held his side pretty damn well. Granted, there were games where he didn't but most of the time he did. Can Bennett do that? He is going to make his growing mistakes, and we don't have anyone to start on the other side and help him through that. If anything, they are going to make it harder on him.

run-david-run
12-05-2007, 02:38 PM
Bennett starting is ok, but he is going to look ALOT worse if the corner on the other side can't hold his own.

The thing about D-Rob is that during most games, no matter who was starting on the other side, he held his side pretty damn well. Granted, there were games where he didn't but most of the time he did. Can Bennett do that? He is going to make his growing mistakes, and we don't have anyone to start on the other side and help him through that. If anything, they are going to make it harder on him.

Thats not entirely true. I think not starting with Drob in the side is what is helping Bennet right now. Since he and Hutchins are complete unknowns, neither one is being particularly targeted over the other. If Drob was on the field, the other guy would be getting thrown on a bunch. Really, being the #2 corner on a team with a good/great #1 corner is a lot harder then being the #1 corner on out team right now.

BattleRedToro
12-06-2007, 06:32 AM
No way they touch that cry baby. He isnt the kind of player we go after. He will make some good plays, then he will get you a yellow hanky and 15 yards the easy way. That is one of the most undiscaplined teams I have ever seen. Granted, he has scary good talent, but not so good hes worth 15 yrd penalties because he throws a hissy fit.

You have unfairly lumped Suggs in with his teammates. It is true that he complained to reporters after the game about the officiating, so you can call him a crybaby for that if you want, but if you go back and look you will see that it was Suggs that was holding Bart Scott back after he threw the referees flag into the crowd. He was trying to calm his teammate down and prevent him from doing anything worse, as Scott was seemingly in an uncontrolled rage.

BattleRedToro
12-06-2007, 06:37 AM
Samuels is trying to get paaaaiiiiiiiiiid when he leaves the Patriots. I'd rather pass on him, and get somebody like Nnamdi Asomugha (http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_main.aspx?sport=NFL&id=77) (who has a player option coming up this year). After him, if we're playing fantasy free agent signings then I'd go for some talent in the OLB department with Lance Briggs (http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_main.aspx?sport=NFL&id=2438) who will be pricey, but I think will be well worth it. The Bears are trying desperately to get him to sign, and he's not having it.

But yeah, those two guys you mention, I think are just not going to be worth the money that they will want, and I think the two guys I listed would be better FA options if we are trying to make a huge splash.

I thought about Briggs as well. I only mentioned Samuels because he has probably the greatest name recognition of any of the available CB's. I'm not familiar with Asomugha, but if he can get the job done then I'd have no problem with him being picked up.

I'm not sure how much Suggs will get in his next contract as he is having somewhat of a down year in this, the final year of his contract.

TEXANS84
12-06-2007, 08:14 AM
Bucs head coach John Gruden:

(on how much better Mario Williams has become)
“A lot better. He is one of the better players in football. They took a lot of heat, I guess,
for not taking somebody else, but at the end of the day they look pretty good if you ask
me for taking the big guy because he’s a heck of a football player.”
http://thecaptainsdeck.net/index.php?page=280

powerfuldragon
12-06-2007, 08:52 AM
Bucs head coach John Gruden:

http://thecaptainsdeck.net/index.php?page=280

:wild:

BigBull17
12-06-2007, 09:23 AM
You have unfairly lumped Suggs in with his teammates. It is true that he complained to reporters after the game about the officiating, so you can call him a crybaby for that if you want, but if you go back and look you will see that it was Suggs that was holding Bart Scott back after he threw the referees flag into the crowd. He was trying to calm his teammate down and prevent him from doing anything worse, as Scott was seemingly in an uncontrolled rage.

Ive seen Suggs do some of the bone head stuff as well, Scott just blw up more recently. He has done it prior to this year, so maybe he has matured a little, but hes done that garbage befor. He was ejected from a game for bumping a ref if I remember correctly. Ill have to look into it. All I know is he has done some of that jerky stuff befor, like late hits and what not. Just my opinion, so disreguard if you want. Not saying he wouldnt make a great end opposite Mario, but whatever.

painekiller
12-06-2007, 09:49 AM
Glad to see the league finally starting to acknowledge Mario, and actually saying the Texans made the better choice.

With Reggie starting to be called a bust, and Mario tied for 2nd in the AFC in sacks even ESPN is going to have to say something good about him at some point. :d:

TexansSeminole
12-06-2007, 10:06 AM
Thats not entirely true. I think not starting with Drob in the side is what is helping Bennet right now. Since he and Hutchins are complete unknowns, neither one is being particularly targeted over the other. If Drob was on the field, the other guy would be getting thrown on a bunch. Really, being the #2 corner on a team with a good/great #1 corner is a lot harder then being the #1 corner on out team right now.

Hutchins is not a complete unknown. Has played in the league for a few years now. He also played safety for us earlier in the season. There is plenty of game tape on him.

TexansSeminole
12-06-2007, 10:40 AM
Ive seen Suggs do some of the bone head stuff as well, Scott just blw up more recently. He has done it prior to this year, so maybe he has matured a little, but hes done that garbage befor. He was ejected from a game for bumping a ref if I remember correctly. Ill have to look into it. All I know is he has done some of that jerky stuff befor, like late hits and what not. Just my opinion, so disreguard if you want. Not saying he wouldnt make a great end opposite Mario, but whatever.

Overall, from what I have seen from the guy, he doesn't do enough bone head things to worry about. I know he plays with a motor on every down. He holds the NCAA single season sack record, or wait maybe it is the NCAA career sack record.

I thought about Briggs as well. I only mentioned Samuels because he has probably the greatest name recognition of any of the available CB's. I'm not familiar with Asomugha, but if he can get the job done then I'd have no problem with him being picked up.

I'm not sure how much Suggs will get in his next contract as he is having somewhat of a down year in this, the final year of his contract.

Asomugha is a very fast player. I think he was drafted something like 3 or 4 years ago. I think he would be a good addition for us if the Raiders decide not to pay him good money. I think he is going back to Oakland after the year.

Maddict5
12-06-2007, 02:10 PM
ok... i know il take hell for this and if im honest i dont want it to happen really but.. what if we didnt resign dunta and paid samuel or asomogha this yr with his money so to speak

infantrycak
12-06-2007, 02:15 PM
ok... i know il take hell for this and if im honest i dont want it to happen really but.. what if we didnt resign dunta and paid samuel or asomogha this yr with his money so to speak

Dunta is signed through the 2008 season and his cap hit next year is only $2.2. No need to make a decision on resigning him until you see how he recovers next season and his cap hit isn't big enough to prevent a move on Samuel or Asomougha.

Maddict5
12-06-2007, 02:34 PM
thats what i mean: he'll be a FA next yr so if he were healthy we would be trying to re-sign him to a big contract this off-season... but if it doesnt look like he'll play next yr, would we be better off not chancing a full recovery on the injury again and pay samuel or somebody else instead? basically i just dont want another DD situation

TheRealJoker
12-06-2007, 03:01 PM
Assomugha is an excellent young cover corner. The announcers last week said he'd only been thrown at 21 times this season!!! If he were on our team I would expect Bennett to get tested a lot which would result in some takeaways for us if Bennett continues to be a ballhawk for us.

bigbrewster2000
12-07-2007, 11:04 AM
thats what i mean: he'll be a FA next yr so if he were healthy we would be trying to re-sign him to a big contract this off-season... but if it doesnt look like he'll play next yr, would we be better off not chancing a full recovery on the injury again and pay samuel or somebody else instead? basically i just dont want another DD situation

No he will not be a free agent next year he is signed through next year. However going after someone either in FA or the draft is a must IMO

TEXANS84
12-07-2007, 11:21 AM
http://www.nfl.com/players/courtneybrown/profile?id=BRO358547

Courtney Brown never had a season over 6.0 sacks.

Farough
12-07-2007, 03:12 PM
Didn't see this posted.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writers/reuben_frank/12/05/texans/index.html
While Williams closes in on his first Pro Bowl season in Houston -- with 8½ sacks, he trails only Jared Allen of the Chiefs among AFC defensive ends -- Bush sputters along in New Orleans, looking less and less every week like a once-in-a-lifetime player.
I didn't think that this season was pro-bowl form, but people are taking notice.

Thorn
12-07-2007, 03:32 PM
Good article. I'm glad to see Mario getting his reps from the media. For a team that rarely blitzes, his sack total is pretty good.

TEXANS84
12-07-2007, 03:50 PM
Most likely, Adrian Peterson, Brian Westbrook and Marion Barber will represent the NFC in the Pro Bowl in Hawaii.

That's OK. Maybe Mario Williams can send Bush a postcard.

OOOOHHHH Snap!

threetoedpete
12-07-2007, 04:22 PM
Oh all that is BS, three of Mario's sacks were cheap and he sucks. He's just a workout warior. He's not fast enough to be a DE. He needs to go inside to DT. We need to move Mario inide and redraft a true DE.

Errant Hothy
12-07-2007, 04:28 PM
Oh all that is BS, three of Mario's sacks were cheap and he sucks. He' just a workout warior. He's not fast enough to be a DE he needs to go inside to DT. We need to move Mario inide and redraft a true DE.

Do you ever listen to yourself before you speak/type, or does the fact that we are certain you are smarted then everybody else blind you to the lunacy that spews from your fingers?

Just asking?

Allstar
12-07-2007, 04:39 PM
Do you ever listen to yourself before you speak/type, or does the fact that we are certain you are smarted then everybody else blind you to the lunacy that spews from your fingers?

Just asking?

I'm quite certain he was being sarcastic.

Errant Hothy
12-07-2007, 04:44 PM

Looking at his track record I think he was being quite serious.

threetoedpete
12-07-2007, 04:48 PM

yep. Got beat over the head with that sheet all last winter. Getting my digs back for sure. Don't see many "I was dead wrong about Mario Pete" on the board. And you won't either. The only reason they aren't banging and rippin' on Okoye is I called the wall back in august. Throw the chubby leg over and climb Omobi climb baby !

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter?season=2007&week=REG14&game_id=29392

Key matchup
Texans DE Mario Williams vs. Buccaneers OT Donald Penn. Since taking the place of injured veteran Luke Petitgout, Penn has quietly done an outstanding job for the Bucs. Tampa Bay has given up only 22 sacks this year (fewer than two per game) and it ranks fifth in the NFL in yards per carry, despite being without its top two rushers for most of the season. Penn's strong play has a lot to do with those achievements. In Williams, he faces the first overall pick from the 2006 NFL Draft. After a rookie season in which he received a fair deal of criticism for not matching the highlight-reel plays made by the second and third picks of that draft, Reggie Bush and Vince Young, he is now the one producing at the highest level. Williams ranks 15th in the NFL with eight sacks and has made his own share of eye-catching plays this season. If he can dominate Penn and add some more highlights to his portfolio, the Bucs' offense could be in trouble.

Errant Hothy
12-07-2007, 04:53 PM
yep. Got beat over the head with that sheet all last winter. Getting my digs back for sure. Don't see many "I was dead wrong about Mario Pete" on the board. And you won't either. The only reason they aren't bnging and rippin'on Okoye is I called the wall back in august. Throw the chubby leg over and climb Omobi climb baby !

I withdraw my comments due the lack of preception of the sarcastic nature of the comment. My apologies.

In 06, when we were in the trhows of the Reggie v VY debate, I was firmly on the Reggie Bush side. I stayed away from the boards the Friday night before the draft, and was very cautios of the call for several months, but since Mario is a Texans and the other two or not I moved my support behind Mario and never looked back.

I have on several occasions stated that I am glad that the Texans passed on Reggie since then, and I'll do it again I'm sure.

On a side note the sarcasm smilie works wonders, see below.

Reggie Bush is g_d. :sarcasm:

Thorn
12-07-2007, 05:43 PM
In 06, when we were in the trhows of the Reggie v VY debate, I was firmly on the Reggie Bush side. I stayed away from the boards the Friday night before the draft, and was very cautios of the call for several months, but since Mario is a Texans and the other two or not I moved my support behind Mario and never looked back.

I have on several occasions stated that I am glad that the Texans passed on Reggie since then, and I'll do it again I'm sure.

For you it was Reggie, for me it was Vince Young. But all the emotion put aside, this debate about the threesome won't end (and shouldn't end) until all three of them have been in the league another couple of years.

And like I've said before, it's a moot point anyway. Mario is here, and he ain't going nowhere and Vince and Bush aren't coming here except while wearing another uniform. It is still my contention that Mario and Vince will prove themselves worthy, Bush will not.

But hey, if I could predict the future I'd be a stock broker. http://www.trekbbs.com/threads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

HJam72
12-07-2007, 05:49 PM
I don't know. We might get Bush for a 6th round pick four years from now or something.

Thorn
12-07-2007, 05:53 PM
I don't know. We might get Bush for a 6th round pick four years from now or something.

LOL. Bushie would make an good special teams player if picked up on the cheap. He'd be a kick off/punt returner and maybe a 4th wide out.

Wolf
12-08-2007, 12:37 PM
http://www.buccaneers.com/news/newsdetail.aspx?newsid=6178

Bucs official homepage "know your opponent"

My head was spinning last year with everything that was going on and me just moving around a lot more last year trying to learn a lot more positions. This year I’m just a lot more comfortable.”

Williams has quickly emerged as a dominant force on the Texans’ line, accounting for nearly half of the team’s 19 sacks on the year. The key, he says, is technique. While pure talent may have allowed him to outclass most of the offensive linemen he faced in high school and college, he’s now squaring off against the biggest, best, and brightest players in the world, and it’ll take a little more than natural ability to beat them.

“Technique is a big thing, especially when you’re facing guys that have been in the league for a long time, or even guys that have just been in the league a few years and know the ropes,” Williams said. “They know the little tricks of the trade that can get you off balance, which is what’s very important in the NFL – the balance, the technique. But pretty much it all comes down to your recognition and just being comfortable.”

The Texans selected another lineman with their top pick in the 2007 NFL Draft – defensive tackle Amobi Okoye – and the Buccaneers also picked up a young lineman of their own in defensive end Gaines Adams. Now in his second year in the league, Williams can sympathize as he watches – and in Adams’ case, prepares to play against – some other highly-touted rookie linemen enduring the same gauntlet that Williams survived just a season ago.

beerlover
12-09-2007, 12:55 AM
In 06, when we were in the trhows of the Reggie v VY debate, I was firmly on the Reggie Bush side. I stayed away from the boards the Friday night before the draft, coward :sarcasm:

On a side note the sarcasm smilie works wonders, see below.

Reggie Bush is g_d. :sarcasm:

yes it does lol:

back on topic........

the real beauty (speaking of real where's he been?) of Mario Williams is that he can be the best of both worlds. meaning he can be the very best LDE in a 4-3 or the very best RDT in a 3-4. it kinda gives the Texans some options should they change schemes or continue the path currently on :swing:

Lucky
12-09-2007, 08:38 AM
...or the very best RDT in a 3-4. it kinda gives the Texans some options should they change schemes...
Why would they change schemes? Okoye would be a bad fit for a 3-4. The LBs are thin already, and there are no edge rushers to play OLB. Switching to the 3-4 is the last thing I would expect the Texans to do.

Maddict5
12-09-2007, 09:07 AM
i think amobi could be a 3-4 DE but guys like travis and demeco would be unsuited to it

stingray
12-09-2007, 01:15 PM
Mario's having a hell of a game so far...

TexansSeminole
12-09-2007, 01:20 PM
He really is.

kiwitexansfan
12-09-2007, 01:23 PM
Mario has really come on, I love that Kubiak says he has fallen in love with the game and it shows as he attacks it with a passion.

I hope he gets a Probowl ticket.... that would be awesome.

GuerillaBlack
12-09-2007, 02:59 PM
Mario was beastin today.

4Texans
12-09-2007, 02:59 PM
Another good game for Mario!:cool:

Thorn
12-09-2007, 03:00 PM
Mario had a great game today. I hope he goes to the pro bowl.

HJam72
12-09-2007, 03:03 PM
Mario had a great game today. I hope he goes to the pro bowl.

Seems to me the best way for him to assure that is to sack Peyton Manning.

PS-Mario, Peyton said you are a total wuss and we should've taken Bush.

brakos82
12-09-2007, 03:05 PM
Seems to me the best way for him to assure that is to sack Peyton Manning.

PS-Mario, Peyton said you are a total wuss and we should've taken Bush.

:bat:

ATX
12-09-2007, 03:18 PM
9 1/2 sacks so far

TexansFanatic
12-09-2007, 03:35 PM
9.5 sacks? Cool! I didn't get to see the game. Just was watching the box score on my computer and didn't see a sack for Mario right up til 4 minutes left in the game. Must've been a late sack. Was it the last play?

GuerillaBlack
12-09-2007, 03:37 PM
Yeah basically. A 13-yard loss, too.

marks01234
12-09-2007, 03:39 PM
Play of the day - 4th and 2 on the opening drive and TB is going for it. Mario stuffs the play setting the tone for the rest of the game.

He put some heat on today too. Great game. He is quickly becoming the most complete and maybe the best DE in football.

ATX
12-09-2007, 03:41 PM
9.5 sacks? Cool! I didn't get to see the game. Just was watching the box score on my computer and didn't see a sack for Mario right up til 4 minutes left in the game. Must've been a late sack. Was it the last play?

Key play at the end of the game to seal the win....3rd down sack.

BigBull17
12-09-2007, 03:45 PM
Play of the day - 4th and 2 on the opening drive and TB is going for it. Mario stuffs the play setting the tone for the rest of the game.

He put some heat on today too. Great game. He is quickly becoming the most complete and maybe the best DE in football.

Ok, I love the guy and have been vocal of my support for a while, but not yet. Maybe close and maybe approaching the short list, but not yet.

TexansFanatic
12-09-2007, 03:46 PM
Key play at the end of the game to seal the win....3rd down sack.

Impact player! Outstanding!

Wolf
12-09-2007, 04:01 PM
http://d.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20071209/capt.ab60fd5af697420693707cd8419b3fd1.buccaneers_t exans_football_htt106.jpg

:cowboy1:

marks01234
12-09-2007, 04:02 PM
Ok, I love the guy and have been vocal of my support for a while, but not yet. Maybe close and maybe approaching the short list, but not yet.

Considering how average Freeney has been the past two years, how average Jason Taylor and Julius Peppers have been this year I would have him on a short list with Kampman, Kerney, Allen and Andre Carter.

Mr PC
12-09-2007, 04:15 PM
probowl.

and its only his second year.

wow.

TexansSeminole
12-09-2007, 04:17 PM
We should add that Okoye picked up 1/2 a sack as well today.

These defensive lineman are starting to pay off me thinks.

PapaL
12-09-2007, 04:20 PM
Sure seems like they're starting to get comfortable. Okoye should be vastly improved next year - kinda like Mario improved this year.

keyser
12-09-2007, 04:33 PM
Since they showed the Cowboys where I live (Bryan/College Station - even though we're closer to Houston!), I didn't get to see the game. Where did Mario get most of his pressure/his sack from? Was he on the right, or on the left, and did he go back to the standing start in this game?

Thanks...

austintexanite
12-09-2007, 04:47 PM
Wasn't able to watch the game but listened to it, and Ware was loving Marios play today. He said it was his best game of the year. I am loving that he is shutting all the talking heads up.

TexansSeminole
12-09-2007, 04:49 PM
Wasn't able to watch the game but listened to it, and Ware was loving Marios play today. He said it was his best game of the year. I am loving that he is shutting all the talking heads up.

Last week I remember thinking he had the best sack I have seen thus far from him in his career. The guy is hot right now, he needs to keep it up and finish this season out strong.

austintexanite
12-09-2007, 04:56 PM
Last week I remember thinking he had the best sack I have seen thus far from him in his career. The guy is hot right now, he needs to keep it up and finish this season out strong.

Definitely man, hopefully this short week won't hurt us too much and he can show the NFL just how good he has become.

Ole Miss Texan
12-09-2007, 05:00 PM
Mario is playing so strong right now.

The majority of his pressures were from LDE. He would have had another sack if Kalu/Cochran? would have contained McCown but he was able to scramble out.

I also saw Mario add a lot of pressure on stunts. They had him cutting inside and would blow by the Guard and Center almost untouched. I counted 3 times he could have had a sack if we had better coverage or McCown hadn't thrown the short quick pass.

Mario's sack came on a 3rd and 2 from our 4 yard line. There was less than a minute left but still a chance if the Bucs scored and got an onside kick- we'd be fretting. He got the sack for a 13 yard loss causing 4th and 15 and pretty much sealed the win for us with the clock continuing to run down and TB having no time outs.

What a game- our Defense was constantly pressuring the QB. Greenwood was in on A LOT and Demps had some great hits.

BigBull17
12-09-2007, 06:21 PM
Considering how average Freeney has been the past two years, how average Jason Taylor and Julius Peppers have been this year I would have him on a short list with Kampman, Kerney, Allen and Andre Carter.

You left a few guys off of the list, like a few guys in New York, but Ill give you on the short list. But to be the best right now is a little much. In a year or two, we could have the best MLB and DE in the leauge. That will kick @$$.
:whip: :specnatz: :texflag:

TexansFanatic
12-09-2007, 06:34 PM
This is so exhilarating, watching this guy becoming a star right before our eyes. Watching the haters and doubters sitting down and shutting up. Great stuff.

jaayteetx
12-09-2007, 06:37 PM
Mario just got some love on NBC, they said you would have to take him number one overall again if the draft were held today. Man, this is great. I am so happy for Mario, keep kicking butt Mario!!!

TexansFanatic
12-09-2007, 06:44 PM
Mario just got some love on NBC, they said you would have to take him number one overall again if the draft were held today. Man, this is great. I am so happy for Mario, keep kicking butt Mario!!!

That's awesome. The Texans got it right!!! They got it right!!!

BigBull17
12-09-2007, 06:52 PM
Anyone else see the clip of the Sunday Night Football guys giving us props for him? Im sure they blasted us a while ago but its nice to see someone on an NFL show say good job.

GuerillaBlack
12-09-2007, 07:01 PM
I missed it. What exactly was said?

Second Honeymoon
12-09-2007, 07:06 PM

I would say that Antonio Cromartie and Joseph Addai could make an argument for themselves in hindsight. I would probably give the nod to Mario just to keep us as having made the right pick after all, but AC and JA are both really really good players.

Cromartie is just an insane athlete and is just a playmaker and Addai produces results, been pretty durable and reliable with injuries/fumbles, and helped them win a championship. Mario has done a GREAT job working on his game and his motor has really improved though. Of that there is no question.

My favorite thing and one of the more overlooked attributes of Mario's game is his durability and his ability to play so many snaps and still be effective. I just think its not a complete no-brainer that he would go #1 but he is probably the best choice for a variety of reasons.....

ok, ill say it.....Super Mario

Tulip
12-09-2007, 08:02 PM
It's great to see such enthusiasm today about Mario.

I always expect fans at the games to be cynical about Mario the way that people here can be, and I'm always surprised.

Every time Mario gets a sack or a TFL, the Reliant crowd goes absolutely nuts.

I hope he gets a Pro Bowl invite. That will get him even more recognition/kudos from the national media.

BigBull17
12-09-2007, 08:15 PM
I missed it. What exactly was said?

That Reggie has been bad, and you cant use first overall on a part time player. That VY has been bad this year, and that the three most important positions are LT, pass rushing DE, and QB, but the verdict was out on wether VY could be that.

Tulip
12-09-2007, 08:19 PM
When does Pro Bowl voting end?

GuerillaBlack
12-09-2007, 08:38 PM
December 11th.

Tulip
12-09-2007, 08:42 PM
December 11th.

That's unfortunate - I was hoping that Mario would have time to show his stuff on the national stage.

Thanks for the info.

Wolf
12-09-2007, 08:42 PM
that would be sweet if Mario got voted into the probowl

sadly it would have to be with coaches, not many people around the country are seeing mario on the news

mexican_texan
12-09-2007, 08:46 PM
When does Pro Bowl voting end?

December 11th.

Haha, looking at the avatars, it's like Matt Schaub talking to a mirror...:whip:

dtran04
12-09-2007, 08:47 PM
Here's the video on NBC. It was posted on the official board by another member.

http://media.putfile.com/Mario-Williams

sakebomb
12-09-2007, 09:15 PM
I am so happy for Mario and the Texans.

Kaiser Toro
12-09-2007, 09:23 PM
He would of had another sack if not for that hold. He got pressure and he made timely plays all day. Now we just need to repeat and stir.

texasguy346
12-09-2007, 09:33 PM
He would of had another sack if not for that hold. He got pressure and he made timely plays all day. Now we just need to repeat and stir.

Ever since the Oakland game it seems as if something has finally 'clicked' for Mario. Perhaps with Dunta going down with that terrible injury Mario realized that this team needed him to emerge as a dominant force just to contend with other teams, but whatever it is Mario is finally playing & reacting instead of thinking.

Wolf
12-09-2007, 09:38 PM
Ever since the Oakland game it seems as if something has finally 'clicked' for Mario. Perhaps with Dunta going down with that terrible injury Mario realized that this team needed him to emerge as a dominant force just to contend with other teams, but whatever it is Mario is finally playing & reacting instead of thinking.

as TJ said it is this

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/e/e2/Konami_Code.png

awtysst
12-09-2007, 09:42 PM

I think that Mario is learning how to be a NFL player. Keep in mind that he is only 22 right now(will be 23 at the end of January) and the transition from college to pro is a big one. In college he used his raw talent whereas now, he is learning he needs to utilize technique and combine it with his talent. I think that Mario is becoming what we all hoped he would be.

SA Texan
12-09-2007, 09:45 PM
He is 100% healthy this year too which is helping out a lot.

bigbrewster2000
12-09-2007, 10:31 PM
as TJ said it is this

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/e/e2/Konami_Code.png

Aww man Wolf that was awsome. But you forgot the ever important select start at the end.:mario3:

ATX
12-09-2007, 10:39 PM
I thought that code was for Contra.

run-david-run
12-09-2007, 10:43 PM
Here's the video on NBC. It was posted on the official board by another member.

http://media.putfile.com/Mario-Williams

The only thing missing is the phrase, "we were wrong."

TexansLucky13
12-09-2007, 10:46 PM
Mario is looking like everything we wanted him to be.

I love the way we use him on 3rd down and passing plays. It works.

austintexanite
12-10-2007, 01:55 AM
It's great to see such enthusiasm today about Mario.

I always expect fans at the games to be cynical about Mario the way that people here can be, and I'm always surprised.

Every time Mario gets a sack or a TFL, the Reliant crowd goes absolutely nuts.

I hope he gets a Pro Bowl invite. That will get him even more recognition/kudos from the national media.

I'm thinking he has a great shot because the coaches and players will have seen how well he is playing and vote him in. Freeney is leading but that's fan vote, which will also bump Mario up when it comes to replacing him because of his injury.

Maddict5
12-10-2007, 10:13 AM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writers/peter_king/12/09/week14/2.html

Isn't it funny how, looking back at the 2006 draft, we all laughed at Houston for even suggesting Mario Williams was better than Vince Young? Who's laughing now?

Maddict5
12-10-2007, 10:44 AM
does anyone know where vinny is these days btw?