PDA

View Full Version : Do you think we are out of luck for the wild card spot?

gary
11-30-2007, 05:10 PM
Are we?

Marcus
11-30-2007, 05:13 PM
Statistically . . no.

Realistically . . yes.

whiskeyrbl
11-30-2007, 05:14 PM
Mathematically we can still make it but we have to win out, SD has to win their division and Cleveland has to lose three games.

gary
11-30-2007, 05:18 PM
It's going to take alot.

YellerLotYeller
11-30-2007, 05:21 PM
The Browns game sealed our fate.....

Second Honeymoon
11-30-2007, 05:25 PM
Mathematically we can still make it but we have to win out, SD has to win their division and Cleveland has to lose three games.

well put. that is basically what needs to happen. I think the Jags would have to lose 4 of 5 if we went undefeated the remaining 5 games. Sadly, there is a better chance that Cleveland will lose 3 more games than us winning our remaining 5. :(

last week was our chance to be relevant and they blew it. They competed but they came out flat and Winslow was playing on a whole other level last Sunday. That kid has made some mistakes but he plays hard on every play and has some of the best hands and body control of any TE in the HISTORY of the game. His love for the game and for competition is CLEARLY evident any time you see him play too. If he doesnt make All Pro this year, there is something wrong with the AP. He is just impossible for defenses to stop and now that he is healthy the Cleveland offense has come around after years of ineptitude. Braylon aint no slouch either. He is another guy that has a visible love for the game and his craft. You can tell they both do the work in the offseason to improve their games and their athleticism. That is a helluva 1-2 punch in the passing game. I put Edwards with AJ and Roy Williams in that 2nd Tier of elite WR. Not quite Moss, Owens, Smith, Harrison but close.

I wasn't surprised we lost due to the fact that we only sent 4 after Anderson pretty much the whole game...well there was that play we actually got a sack....and they blitzed.....who'd of thunk it.

WWJD
11-30-2007, 05:30 PM
I don't think this year they'll make the playoffs.

Hardcore Texan
11-30-2007, 05:42 PM
All questions should be this easy, of course we are, no way we make it.....we just don't have the depth. But we can still go 8-8. We will be much improved next year, another draft, more FA's, get healthy, and we had some young guys like Bennet step up this year. :texflag:

rmartin65
11-30-2007, 05:43 PM
Dang, I misread the question. I say yes now.

gary
11-30-2007, 05:59 PM
I say yes.

Double Barrel
11-30-2007, 06:08 PM
Wish I could say otherwise, but if it weren't for bad luck, we'd have no luck at all!

Playoffs are possible, but highly improbable. I'm starting to feel the same way about .500 this year, too.

nunusguy
11-30-2007, 06:26 PM
Not A Problem - all we need to do is win the rest of our games.

Runner
11-30-2007, 06:27 PM
I'm starting to feel the same way about .500 this year, too.

I think that's the better question. I don't think they'll make it, looking at the upcoming schedule. If they are going to, they have to get that killer instinct very quickly. They'll have to take the games aggressively, as Cleveland did to them last week. The attitude difference between the two teams in that contest seemed in stark contrast to me.

Therefore - no shot at play-offs, except in a mathematical, self-gratification mind game sort of way.

76Texan
11-30-2007, 06:32 PM
If we don't take care of the football, it will take a miracle, not just luck! :wild:

texdawg
11-30-2007, 06:38 PM
Sorry guys, looking at your schedule I say no way. You guys have one of the toughest schedules out there.

I've been trolling your site for a while. I was born and raised a Browns fan in Ohio. I've been to many Oilers/Browns games in Houston. I'm not some young punk looking to start anything. Been living in Tex for 30+yrs.

I just can not get behind the Texans. Remind me too much of the futile Browns of the last few years. Poor management-draft choices. ect. One thing I do respect is the passion you guys/gals have for football.

I will be here for a while. I will not crap on your parade, but only talk football and try to add to some discussions and hopefully laugh at a joke or two.

gary
11-30-2007, 06:38 PM
Agree.

76Texan
11-30-2007, 06:43 PM
But I've seen teams backing into the play-offs before! :specnatz: :specnatz:

gary
11-30-2007, 06:50 PM
:texflag: :texflag: :texflag:

TEXANS84
11-30-2007, 06:52 PM
Sorry guys, looking at your schedule I say no way. You guys have one of the toughest schedules out there.

I've been trolling your site for a while. I was born and raised a Browns fan in Ohio. I've been to many Oilers/Browns games in Houston. I'm not some young punk looking to start anything. Been living in Tex for 30+yrs.

I just can not get behind the Texans. Remind me too much of the futile Browns of the last few years. Poor management-draft choices. ect. One thing I do respect is the passion you guys/gals have for football.

I will be here for a while. I will not crap on your parade, but only talk football and try to add to some discussions and hopefully laugh at a joke or two.

Well, take it for what it is...but if the Browns do make it...there will be alot of people cheering for the underdog, myself included.

Specnatz
11-30-2007, 06:55 PM

What more can a person ask. Very well said and your welcome to laugh at anything we got going on.

gary
11-30-2007, 07:00 PM
Well, take it for what it is...but if the Browns do make it...there will be alot of people cheering for the underdog, myself included. Even against NE?

ATXtexanfan
11-30-2007, 07:30 PM
The Browns game sealed our fate.....

true true very true

RTP2110
11-30-2007, 07:51 PM
As said before, the Cleveland loss knocked us out

ATX
11-30-2007, 07:52 PM
We can always hope the Browns win their division and the Steelers start losing. But we have to win the last 5 games at the minimum to get in.

gary
11-30-2007, 07:58 PM
Unlikely.

adam
11-30-2007, 08:40 PM
Statistically . . no.

Realistically . . yes.

Well said.

Tulip
11-30-2007, 09:13 PM
I predicted 9-7, which I knew would not be enough to make the playoffs.

If the Texans can achieve that, I can't be disappointed. If they somehow run the table from here, I'll be very pleasantly surprised, but this year, even that isn't quite good enough to make it to the post-season.

gary
11-30-2007, 09:56 PM
Amen.

rickyb
11-30-2007, 11:44 PM
I've said 8-8 all along, and a few weeks back, I came to the startling revelation that 8-8 simply isn't going to be good enough for a WC berth.

awtysst
12-01-2007, 12:41 AM
I didn't think I would have to pull this out again so soon, but here it is.

http://www.cbc.ca/gfx/topstory/mora_jim0108.jpg
What's that? Uh -- Playoffs? Don't talk about -- playoffs? You kidding me? Playoffs? I just hope we can win a game!
-Jim Mora

wicked_wayz
12-01-2007, 01:42 AM

What's that? Uh -- Playoffs? Don't talk about -- playoffs? You kidding me? Playoffs? I just hope we can win a game!
-Jim Mora

i've been meaning to ask you.....how do you pronouce your name lol???????????

wicked_wayz
12-01-2007, 01:43 AM

well said...and welcome aboard:pirate:

b0ng
12-01-2007, 07:34 AM
I voted "no" only because we technically could make it into a wildcard spot, but I just don't see it happening.

We are in a much worse position now, than the Astros were when they were 15-30.

ActualTexan
12-01-2007, 09:20 AM

Nice clean post. And, the reponse you got to it makes this a better place IMO. Welcome aboard.

awtysst
12-01-2007, 01:26 PM
i've been meaning to ask you.....how do you pronouce your name lol???????????

To pronounce my name use the following 4 syllables
1. awty
2. S
3. S
4. T

jaybird
12-01-2007, 02:15 PM
No way they make the playoffs this year... but I think if the Texans can finish up with 7 or 8 wins then it was a darn good year... especially considering that the OL still sucks, we have no real RB, and the injuries have KILLED us this year.

Fix the OL next year and this is a totally different team.

ObsiWan
12-01-2007, 04:47 PM
Even against NE?

ESPECIALLY against NE.

gary
12-01-2007, 05:10 PM
Ok.

El Amigo Invisible
12-01-2007, 07:10 PM
Stranger things have happened

gary
12-01-2007, 07:48 PM
Your not kidding.

DiapHer
12-01-2007, 07:57 PM

I need to vote yes for the RealJoker's sake lol...take a look at this TexDawg.

http://texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=42340

gary
12-01-2007, 08:07 PM
Wow.

ChrisG
12-01-2007, 09:15 PM
we are not out of luck for the spot, it is just unlikely..it may have been a different story if we didn't lose robinson (or johnson for the 1st half of the year)

gary
12-01-2007, 09:20 PM
True.

spurstexanstros
12-01-2007, 10:45 PM
Never, pass the freaking Koolaid and the special brownies.... let the dream live on...

Bipolar The Titan
12-01-2007, 11:15 PM
But I've seen teams backing into the play-offs before! :specnatz: :specnatz:
tell that to the 2005 Chiefs.

eriadoc
12-02-2007, 01:51 AM
The team had control of its own destiny. Win vs. Cleveland and Tennessee, and they'd be sitting in the driver's seat. They did what they always do when it's a must-win.

ObsiWan
12-02-2007, 09:29 AM
The team had control of its own destiny. Win vs. Cleveland and Tennessee, and they'd be sitting in the driver's seat. They did what they always do when it's a must-win.

Before this season, how many "must win" games have we had??

Runner
12-02-2007, 11:22 AM

About every third game has been a "statement" game from the fans' view. Generally we got a message we didn't want to hear.

adam
12-02-2007, 11:55 AM

True. We've had about 6 "biggest game in franchise history"s.

ObsiWan
12-02-2007, 01:03 PM
About every third game has been a "statement" game from the fans' view. Generally we got a message we didn't want to hear.

We may not like the answer to these fan-proclaimed "statement" games but that doesn't stop it from being the truth. We are still a couple of players away from being a consistent, playoff-caliber team. We're at least 6-7 second stringers away too, so that performance doesn't fall off a cliff when the starter goes down.

I like the direction we're headed but - and I'm probably preaching to the choir here - we are, at a minimum, a pro-bowl LT, a roadgrader C/G, a shutdown CB, a wide ranging FS, a speedy OLB, and an innovative defensive coordinator from filling all the holes I see.

On the other hand, we're not 20 starters away like we used to be - the only solid players being Dunta and AJ.

Patience GrassHoppas; we have made great progress.

gary
12-02-2007, 05:50 PM
Today sealed the deal.

gary
12-04-2007, 05:04 PM
Maybe next year.

gtexan02
12-04-2007, 05:13 PM
Maybe next year.

The perma-motto for our franchise. We need to have it sewn on the jerseys

gary
12-04-2007, 06:22 PM
I know haha.

Goldensilence
12-04-2007, 09:10 PM

-Jim Mora

Glad someone brought it out.

gary
12-04-2007, 10:01 PM
Lol.

Insideop
12-05-2007, 01:45 AM
We may not like the answer to these fan-proclaimed "statement" games but that doesn't stop it from being the truth. We are still a couple of players away from being a consistent, playoff-caliber team. We're at least 6-7 second stringers away too, so that performance doesn't fall off a cliff when the starter goes down.

I like the direction we're headed but - and I'm probably preaching to the choir here - we are, at a minimum, a pro-bowl LT, a roadgrader C/G, a shutdown CB, a wide ranging FS, a speedy OLB, and an innovative defensive coordinator from filling all the holes I see.
On the other hand, we're not 20 starters away like we used to be - the only solid players being Dunta and AJ.

Patience GrassHoppas; we have made great progress.

You forgot one fast stud RB!

Realistically, we are probably looking at another 2 Drafts to fill all of those spots unless we get some in FA. We really haven't had much luck filling those spots through FA, but this year we may get lucky since we have more cap room. What I don't want to see is for us to throw alot of money around at these FA and get back into "Cap Hell" again. I would much rather we build through the Draft and fill the gaps with FA's that fit our team needs and don't break the bank. It may take longer, but I believe it's the best way to go. JMHO!

HOU-TEX
12-05-2007, 11:38 AM

Decent post. I'm curious as to why you mentioned the bolded statement. Unless you're speaking of the pre-Kubiak era, what have they done wrong? Sure, they picked up YKW's option, but soon admittingly realized their mistake and moved on. Since Kubiak has been here we've had a couple really good drafts and have done nicely in FA with the kind of cap space we've had to work with.

Personally, I like the FO we have. With a couple assistant coaching changes we'll be in good shape.

McNair is a newby and has admitted making mistakes and will learn from them (unlike a previous owner).

:texflag:

El cabezon
12-05-2007, 08:38 PM
You mean you actually want this team in the playoffs???? I'd like to why would you want to see this team in the playoffs, I guess you'd want to see this team make to the playoffs so we can go to Indy or New England get our arses handed to us.

texdawg
12-05-2007, 10:16 PM
Decent post. I'm curious as to why you mentioned the bolded statement. Unless you're speaking of the pre-Kubiak era, what have they done wrong? Sure, they picked up YKW's option, but soon admittingly realized their mistake and moved on. Since Kubiak has been here we've had a couple really good drafts and have done nicely in FA with the kind of cap space we've had to work with.

Personally, I like the FO we have. With a couple assistant coaching changes we'll be in good shape.

McNair is a newby and has admitted making mistakes and will learn from them (unlike a previous owner).

:texflag:

HOU-TEX Almost all of you posting at this site have a deeper and more educated understanding of the Texans than I do. I was just stating my opinions from outside the fan base.
I believe a true team is built from the center out. The Browns finally spent a high first round pick on a left tackle (Joe Thomas) and are seeing immediate results. Carr kept getting killed behind the Texans line and I do not recall any massive efforts to get FA or 1st round talent to help. Not picking Vince Young was wrong IMO. Giving up picks for Schaub and not fixing the O-line was backwards. Not getting anything for Carr just seems wrong also.

Most of this happened under prior management. You asked for my opinion. I know I have the advantage of hindsight on some of this. Again, just an opinion from outside looking in. I did not mean to offend you or disparage in any way the Texans.

powerfuldragon
12-06-2007, 06:15 PM
we're a houston team. there's no chance.

Runner
12-06-2007, 06:24 PM
Giving up picks for Schaub and not fixing the O-line was backwards.

They had to get a decent quarterback in here, hence Schaub. After that they used their limited resources - available money for free agents/high draft slots - on other positions. D-Line, running back, receiver, etc. They did throw some money at Jordan Black, but that hasn't returned much on the investment.

It was a matter of priority, and the Texans prioritized o-line lower than other positions. I'm sure this was influenced by the talent available at the various positions too

You make a good point though, at this rate Schaub won't last his contract. The Texans have needed to address the line for some time; maybe the next off-season will be the one.

Insideop
12-06-2007, 07:16 PM
HOU-TEX Almost all of you posting at this site have a deeper and more educated understanding of the Texans than I do. I was just stating my opinions from outside the fan base.
I believe a true team is built from the center out. The Browns finally spent a high first round pick on a left tackle (Joe Thomas) and are seeing immediate results. Carr kept getting killed behind the Texans line and I do not recall any massive efforts to get FA or 1st round talent to help. Not picking Vince Young was wrong IMO. Giving up picks for Schaub and not fixing the O-line was backwards. Not getting anything for Carr just seems wrong also.

Most of this happened under prior management. You asked for my opinion. I know I have the advantage of hindsight on some of this. Again, just an opinion from outside looking in. I did not mean to offend you or disparage in any way the Texans.

And so does Kubiak. The problem is/was that we were trying to build from the "center out" on both sides of the ball (offense & defense). And, we were switching from a 3-4 to a 4-3 defense, which only made things more difficult.

In Kubiak's 1st Draft (06), he got Mario in the 1st, DeMeco in the 2nd (solidifying def. front 7), and then we had the 1st 2 picks of the 3rd round where he got Eric "The GEICO Caveman" Winston and Charles Spencer (a RT and LT). He also signed Flanagan (Center) and Salaam (LT) in FA. Spencer started the 06 season as the starting LT for 1 1/2 games when he broke his leg. Salaam has been there ever since. It's hoped that Spencer will be back next year 100%, but there's no guarantee. They were very high on him. Winston has been our starting RT since mid season 06 and doing OK.

In Kubiak's 2nd Draft (this time with Rick Smith as GM), they got Okoye (DT) in the 1st, and Frye (LT) in the 5th and Studdard (G) in the 6th. They also picked up Black (LT/RT) in FA. So, it's not like they are neglecting the O-line completely, and believe me, if Joe Thomas would have been there when we picked, they would have taken him.

You say we should have started by building our O-line first and then get a QB, but you say we should have taken VY. Kubiak thought he could correct and coach Carr's problems and that's why he was signed. It didn't work out. Carr had been damaged too much (gunshy, shellshocked, etc...). It was a mistake and Kubes knows that, but we have to move on.

What you, and others, have to remember is that Kubiak and Smith are having to build this team almost from scratch. It takes time, that's all. They'll get it done. JMHO!

Thorn
12-06-2007, 07:20 PM
What you, and others, have to remember is that Kubiak and Smith are having to build this team almost from scratch. It takes time, that's all. They'll get it done. JMHO!

A point that a lot of us forget about sometimes. When Kubes took over the team, we should have mentally considered ourselves back in a rebuilding phase again. But sometimes it difficult watching the same old loses year after year.

I think, baring another season of frigging injuries to key personel, we'll finally be 8-8 or better next year. Of course I said that about this year to.

Dread-Head
12-06-2007, 09:01 PM
Statistically . . no.

Realistically . . yes.

"Playoffs? Wha..Playoffs? Playoffs? Are you...are you kidding me? Playoffs?" :Jim Mohra

"They ARE who we THOUGHT they were!" : Dennis Green

The Texans are a group of bad mother-hubbards who will MAKE IT TO THE PLAYOFFS BABY!...Just not THIS year. But I think they've learned some lessons from this year and will continue to grow. Next year will be a wildcard year.

Giant Tiger
12-06-2007, 10:27 PM
Fix the OL, then we can look at the playoffs. I predicted 7-9. We'll be lucky to get that with all the injuries. So much work to do this off season. Good thing there are some good OL this draft.

HOU-TEX
12-07-2007, 10:17 AM
Re: Do you think we are out of luck for the wild card spot?

Umm...don't you have to begin with some sort of luck in order to become out of it??

The last 2 or 3 years this team hasn't had any luck at all. The Texans are freakin cursed or something.:brickwall:

threetoedpete
12-07-2007, 05:56 PM

So with out depth at C/G, with the lead back recently placed on IR..with the other sixteen on IR, you expect us to win four in a row ? Including the next game a short week game. Do something that they have never done befor...win three in a row in the same season, check that make that four in a row...with the number two QB and a rookie starting @ RG..? Is that the question ? Oh hell Yeah ! That's a lock for sure.

Thorn
12-07-2007, 06:48 PM
Frankly, I'd be shocked if we are anything but 5-11 at season's end. We might take Denver, but I think Tampa, Indy and Jacksonville are predictable loses.