PDA

View Full Version : Sean Taylor dies after being shot in Leg at Miami Home

STEEL BLUE TEXANS
11-26-2007, 11:05 AM
Washington Redskins safety Sean Taylor was shot at his Florida home Monday morning, sources tell WSVN-TV in Miami.

The Redskins free safety was in surgery at Jackson Memorial Hospital where he is listed in extremely critical condition.

Taylor, who had on the Redskins' injured list for the second straight week due to a right knee sprain, was shot in the leg and the bullet reportedly struck the femoral artery. The incident occurred at his home in the Palmetto Bay section of Miami.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,312902,00.html

eriadoc
11-26-2007, 11:09 AM
I'm shocked.

Vinny
11-26-2007, 11:10 AM
deleted...too flip a comment for the seriousness of this. RIP ST

Specnatz
11-26-2007, 11:12 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3127928

Here is another version where it says he was shot in the groin. OUCH!!

TexansSeminole
11-26-2007, 11:20 AM
That sucks.

Second Honeymoon
11-26-2007, 12:42 PM
i wonder if he slept with someone's wife/gfriend and the dude shot him in the groin as revenge. oh man, that would be horrific.

he is a thugster though, so not that surprised. maybe one day this whole hip-hop gangsta thug BS will die and go the way of the dinosaur.

Vinny
11-26-2007, 12:47 PM
i wonder if he slept with someone's wife/gfriend and the dude shot him in the groin as revenge. oh man, that would be horrific.

he is a thugster though, so not that surprised. maybe one day this whole hip-hop gangsta thug BS will die and go the way of the dinosaur.
you live that thug lifestyle you attract that kind of super mensa brainiac friends and acquaintances that think guns are a way to resolve disputes.

kastofsna
11-26-2007, 12:51 PM
didn't take long for the "he's a thug, he deserves it" comments to pour in.

Vinny
11-26-2007, 12:52 PM
didn't take long for the "he's a thug, he deserves it" comments to pour in.never said he deserves it. If you sleep with dogs you are just going to get fleas. If you plant corn don't expect to harvest asparagus.

HoustonFrog
11-26-2007, 12:54 PM

Who said he deserved it? I said it was sad and it is a horrible event. But if you surround yourself with those who carry guns... then excuses can't really be made. Stop stirring.

Texan_Bill
11-26-2007, 12:57 PM

Quoted from the Fox article link posted above...
In 2005, Taylor was accused of brandishing a gun at a man and repeatedly hitting him during a fight that broke out after Taylor and some friends went looking for the people who had allegedly stolen his all-terrain vehicles.

"brandishing a weapon and repeatedly hitting him" sounds pretty thug(ish) to me... But I guess its all in individual's definitions?!?

alphajoker
11-26-2007, 12:59 PM
Is it known that he hangs out with thugs and has weapons? I have never heard anything about Taylor that would indicate that. But I could have missed it. Either way, he was a victim of a home invasion which was similar to what happened to Dunta. He just wasn't shot.

Vinny
11-26-2007, 01:01 PM
Is it known that he hangs out with thugs and has weapons? I have never heard anything about Taylor that would indicate that. But I could have missed it. Either way, he was a victim of a home invasion which was similar to what happened to Dunta. He just wasn't shot.
where have you been and have you ever named a volleyball?

HoustonFrog
11-26-2007, 01:04 PM

Now that is pretty damn funny.:highfive:

Texan_Bill
11-26-2007, 01:15 PM

"brandishing a weapon and repeatedly hitting him" sounds pretty thug(ish) to me... But I guess its all in individual's definitions?!?

Did you read the article?? or at least the excerpt from the article that was posted??
In 2005, Taylor was accused of brandishing a gun at a man and repeatedly hitting him during a fight that broke out after Taylor and some friends went looking for the people who had allegedly stolen his all-terrain vehicles.

Noun: thug thúg
An aggressive and violent young criminal
- hood, hoodlum, goon, punk, tough, toughie, strong-armer

Brando
11-26-2007, 01:20 PM

http://www.indyprops.com/pp-wilson1.jpg

Wilson?

alphajoker
11-26-2007, 01:21 PM

My apologies for not being current on the history of Sean Taylor, but is that really necessary? That is why I mentioned that I could have missed it. I know Taylor is from the "U" and was labeled as a "troubled player" coming out of the draft, but I really haven't paid too much attention to what he has been up to other than on the playing field. Geez, give me a break man.

alphajoker
11-26-2007, 01:32 PM

Did you read the article?? or at least the excerpt from the article that was posted??

Yes, I did. I guess our definitions are different so once again, my apologies. Like I said, I didn't know too much about his past other than what I heard about him coming out of the 2004 Draft, but just because he f'd up one time doesn't make him a thug, JMO.

Second Honeymoon
11-26-2007, 01:41 PM
Yes, I did. I guess our definitions are different so once again, my apologies. Like I said, I didn't know too much about his past other than what I heard about him coming out of the 2004 Draft, but just because he f'd up one time doesn't make him a thug, JMO.

its been more than one thing, also FWIW - the dude got himself ejected out of a playoff game for his thuggish behavior (spitting). that seems pretty relavent.

i hope he survives and is able to rehab but i really do hope he learns a lesson that highsigning at clubs and wearing lots of diamonds and jewelry doesnt make you cool...it only makes you a target. Wearing $100,000+ of jewelry in a public club isn't fresh, its straight up ign'ant and just asking to be robbed. Does he deserve it? Not really, but you really would have hoped he would learn his lesson and do more to stay out of drama. We'll just have to wait till the story comes out about what really happened last night. It's just hard to give him the benefit of the doubt, I guess.

Texan_Bill
11-26-2007, 01:50 PM

I wasn't flaming you or anything. It's just that a "thug" to me is someone that doesn't want to play by the rules of society. Going around brandishing a weapon and beating the snot out of someone with said weapon constitutes being a thug in my eyes. The definition of 'thug' goes way back before Tupac.

alphajoker
11-26-2007, 02:00 PM
I wasn't flaming you or anything. It's just that a "thug" to me is someone that doesn't want to play by the rules of society. Going around brandishing a weapon and beating the snot out of someone with said weapon constitutes being a thug in my eyes. The definition of 'thug' goes way back before Tupac.

It's all good man and trust me, I am very familiar with 2Pac as I am a huge fan. But the part I'm arguing is that just because he was a victim of a home invasion, makes him a thug? If this happened while at a strip club or something, ala Pac-man, then yes, I would agree that he is a thug. But the dude was at home with his family and the police have yet to determine the motive, i.e., robbery or burglary. I can't see where this makes him a thug.

Texan_Bill
11-26-2007, 02:10 PM
I think some people may be making a leap when they say that because generally speaking: a) he has the history that has been outlined previously and b) generally people living in $900,000 homes dont usually have people that shoot them in their own homes unless something else was going on....

Perhaps people shouldn't make that leap, but you know the saying "where there's smoke there's fire..."

alphajoker
11-26-2007, 02:19 PM
I could't tell you about option (b), because I make no where near that amount, but I would think that because someone does make that amount of money, it would make them a more likely target. Dunta Robinson anyone? And last I checked, he doesn't have any thug tendencies.

Texan_Bill
11-26-2007, 02:25 PM
I could't tell you about option (b), because I make no where near that amount, but I would think that because someone does make that amount of money, it would make them a more likely target. Dunta Robinson anyone? And last I checked, he doesn't have any thug tendencies.

Absolutely that can happen to anyone - anywhere (Dunta), but thats why I prefaced it with 'generally speaking'. I promise, there are a heck of lot more break-ins (and the like) in my neighborhood than there are in say Stevie and Cats neighborhood - Royal Oaks.

Second Honeymoon
11-26-2007, 02:29 PM

I wouldn't say 'thug tendencies' but he does wear the outrageous 'bling' and that and his other VISIBLE wealth made him a target. he has the nappy dreads, the luxury wheels, the bling, and the whole neo-hiphop gangsta look and i am sure Dunta goes out to the public clubs and has fun, which is his right as an American. He works his arse off and deserves to have fun. He just needs to realize that he is a target because of his dare i say, appearance and places that he might socialize. It's not fair and its not right, but its just how it is. if you look like you have lots of money and lots of disposable income dont be surprised if someone targets you for burglary/robbery.

I love Dunta and I have faith that he has taken steps in order to allow him to live how he wants while making sure him and his family are secure and as safe as possible.

The1ApplePie
11-26-2007, 02:41 PM
Sounds more like a pure robbery to me than some kind of thug thing.

If they wanted him death, they'd put a .22 in his head and call it a day. A guy getting shot in the leg sounds like he suprised somebody and they let off a panic shot.

He's probably in DC most of the year, but was home due to injury. They guy that broke in probably knew his usual schedule and thought the house would be empty.

alphajoker
11-26-2007, 02:47 PM
I wouldn't say 'thug tendencies' but he does wear the outrageous 'bling' and that and his other VISIBLE wealth made him a target. he has the nappy dreads, the luxury wheels, the bling, and the whole neo-hiphop gangsta look and i am sure Dunta goes out to the public clubs and has fun, which is his right as an American. He works his arse off and deserves to have fun. He just needs to realize that he is a target because of his dare i say, appearance and places that he might socialize. It's not fair and its not right, but its just how it is. if you look like you have lots of money and lots of disposable income dont be surprised if someone targets you for burglary/robbery.

I love Dunta and I have faith that he has taken steps in order to allow him to live how he wants while making sure him and his family are secure and as safe as possible.

What would you call that then? To me, that's just todays style.

kastofsna
11-26-2007, 03:56 PM
i can sense someone accusing someone else of being a racist pretty soon, i've seen plenty of "thug" threads in my day.

HoustonFrog
11-26-2007, 04:10 PM
i can sense someone accusing someone else of being a racist pretty soon, i've seen plenty of "thug" threads in my day.

Now this could be true. Tread lightly.

TexansSeminole
11-26-2007, 04:13 PM
its been more than one thing, also FWIW - the dude got himself ejected out of a playoff game for his thuggish behavior (spitting). that seems pretty relavent.

i hope he survives and is able to rehab but i really do hope he learns a lesson that highsigning at clubs and wearing lots of diamonds and jewelry doesnt make you cool...it only makes you a target. Wearing $100,000+ of jewelry in a public club isn't fresh, its straight up ign'ant and just asking to be robbed. Does he deserve it? Not really, but you really would have hoped he would learn his lesson and do more to stay out of drama. We'll just have to wait till the story comes out about what really happened last night. It's just hard to give him the benefit of the doubt, I guess.

I don't care how thuggish he acts, how he dresses, or what he thinks makes him cool. Shooting someone is never deserved and should never be defended(not saying you are defending it, I know you are not).

eriadoc
11-26-2007, 04:15 PM
Let's see - Taylor got his ATV stolen, so he got a posse together to go find the thieves and beat them up. Then, in typical legal dodge fashion, he couldn't beat the rap, so he plead out. All this is after earlier unrelated behavior that might be construed as thuggish as well.

I don't know; that sounds like thug behavior to me. Now, the current gunshot wound/potential robbery could be unrelated, in which case his earlier thug behavior would be irrelevant. But it also wouldn't be an unreasonable reach to suggest that if you engage in that type of behavior, these sorts of things tend to occur more frequently to you. It's sort of like the saying "Nothing good happens at 2 AM", except applied to this situation.

Seems like common sense to me. As for whether he deserved it or not - I have no idea. I don't have the facts and I am not a judge. It doesn't surprise me that it happened, though.

TexansSeminole
11-26-2007, 04:19 PM
Let's see - Taylor got his ATV stolen, so he got a posse together to go find the thieves and beat them up. Then, in typical legal dodge fashion, he couldn't beat the rap, so he plead out. All this is after earlier unrelated behavior that might be construed as thuggish as well.

I don't know; that sounds like thug behavior to me. Now, the current gunshot wound/potential robbery could be unrelated, in which case his earlier thug behavior would be irrelevant. But it also wouldn't be an unreasonable reach to suggest that if you engage in that type of behavior, these sorts of things tend to occur more frequently to you. It's sort of like the saying "Nothing good happens at 2 AM", except applied to this situation.

Seems like common sense to me. As for whether he deserved it or not - I have no idea. I don't have the facts and I am not a judge. It doesn't surprise me that it happened, though.

The way I see it, he can act thuggish if he wants to. I don't care if they don't let him play because of some sort of legal problem but NEVER should someone EVER suggest that someone getting shot is deserved. Even if the guy was a proven murderer he still deserves to be put on trail and not shot at his house.

alphajoker
11-26-2007, 04:29 PM

Naw, I wouldn't play that card...if that's what you were leading to. I'm just trying to get across that, until it's known why his house was broken into, and why he was shot, then it's a little premature to say this was a result of his lifestyle. Could just be bad timing. If he hadn't been hurt, then he would have been traveling with the team and would not have been there.

tulexan
11-26-2007, 04:37 PM
Until we hear more about what happened, we can't assume that his lifestyle (aside from being rich) was the reason he got shot. Dunta was tied up and robbed earlier this year and thankfully was left unscathed, but easily could've been in the same state as Sean.

TexansSeminole
11-26-2007, 04:47 PM
Naw, I wouldn't play that card...if that's what you were leading to. I'm just trying to get across that, until it's known why his house was broken into, and why he was shot, then it's a little premature to say this was a result of his lifestyle. Could just be bad timing. If he hadn't been hurt, then he would have been traveling with the team and would not have been there.

I agree with this 100%. And even if it was due to his lifestyle, doesn't mean he deserves it at all.

gtexan02
11-26-2007, 05:02 PM
At this point, all you "thug" callers are just gossiping and promoting heresay. You have no idea what the motivation behind this was.

If the guy was jut flat out robbed and shot, then theres no reason to believe this is because of his lifestyle. It could have been, but you have no evidence. Until we know the motivation, all this conversation is doing is making half of you out to be insensitive

TexansSeminole
11-26-2007, 05:18 PM
At this point, all you "thug" callers are just gossiping and promoting heresay. You have no idea what the motivation behind this was.

If the guy was jut flat out robbed and shot, then theres no reason to believe this is because of his lifestyle. It could have been, but you have no evidence. Until we know the motivation, all this conversation is doing is making half of you out to be insensitive

If anything I would assume the situation occured because of the amount of money he makes, not because of any free-time lifestyle that he has (even though it is a serious possiblity).

HoustonFrog
11-26-2007, 05:18 PM

Again, I don't think anyone is saying he "deserves" it or that anyone should have gotten shot. Prayers to he and his family. We don't know what happened. But I won't just overlook the apparent irony that some will gloss over when a guy who has run with guns and gotten in all kinds of trouble just happens to get shot. It is the first thing I thought of. Sorry, it is part of the story whether people want to bury their head or not.

Second Honeymoon
11-26-2007, 05:19 PM
If anything I would assume the situation occured because of the amount of money he makes, not because of any free-time lifestyle that he has (even though it is a serious possiblity).

i agree with that completely. dont wear huge jewelry

TexansSeminole
11-26-2007, 05:21 PM
i agree with that completely. dont wear huge jewelry

But at the same time, a guy like Sean Taylor doesn't need huge jewelry for people to know that he makes money. He is on TV every Sunday during the football season.

Sideline
11-26-2007, 06:44 PM
My thoughts and prayers are with him, just read these updates on him.

Redskins safety Sean Taylor was reportedly shot at his home in south Florida, according to WTEM 980, an all-sports radio station in Washington, D.C. More on this story here and here. Reports indicate Taylor was hit in an artery and is in critical condition. It appears Taylor might have been struck twice by gunshots.

Taylor is receiving treatment in hospital right now.

Updating:

Paramedics responded and found the victim with a gunshot wound to the groin. According to county property records obtained by the Herald, the residence, at 18050 Old Cutler Road, is listed to Taylor.

Updating again:

According to police, Miami-Dade patrol officers received a call about 1:45 a.m. Monday that a homeowner had been shot in the leg. The homeowners told police they heard intruders at the rear door of the house, trying to pry it open.

The male homeowner went to investigate and a female in the house then heard a shot. Paramedics responded and found the victim, with a gunshot wound to the groin.

Updating again and it is not good news:

Sources say Washington Redskins safety Sean Taylor is in extremely critical condition after someone shot him at his home early this morning.

Before dawn Monday, Taylor, a former University of Miami football player, was shot in the leg, but the bullet struck the femoral artery, and he has lost a lot of blood.

According to WTEM Radio in Washington, the locker room will be closed today. Joe Gibbs will address the players about this and some players will be made available for interviews.

Update …

The crime sceneRB Clinton Portis, a close friend of Sean Taylor, addressed the media. Said Redskins players are praying hard for Sean as his life is in limbo. Portis addressed the neighborhood issue and said how much Sean has matured and grown up. Mentioned it could happen anywhere, not a bad area, nice area to live.

Said football is a game and just a game. Life is more important. Looking forward to tomorrow for Sean. Portis has not said they have been told whether Sean would survive, lost alot of blood, and he’ll keep fighting.

UPDATE: Ethan Albright has told reporters that Sean Taylor is in a coma. There are reasons doctors will put a patient into a coma — a medically-induced coma — but it is generally bad news.

UPDATE: Comcast is reporting that a family friend has said that Sean’s prognosis does not look good.

UPDATE: Apparently, this is the 3rd time recently that someone or some people had attempted to break into Sean Taylor’s home in Miami.

UPDATING:

A source said Taylor was shot on the inside of his leg during a home invasion involving “one or maybe more: individuals. The bullet pierced Taylor’s femoral artery, causing him to get rushed to Jackson Memorial Hospital in Miami.

“He’s in critical condition and has somewhat stabilized after surgery, but things could go either way at this point,” the source said. “He’s lost an incredible amount of blood. At this point, we’re just waiting to see how he responds to the surgery.”

UPDATING: (1:15 p.m.): That’s what I got at 12:30 this afternoon. This was the latest update from the same assistant. “He’s had surgery and he’s out of it now. I’m not sure if he’s going to have other procedure. But from what I hear he may not be able to play again. They think his career is over. He lost too much blood and apparently it affected his brain some. It just doesn’t sound good and its going to be a long road back to recovery.”

UPDATING:

Taylor’s lawyer and family friend, Richard Sharpstein, said Taylor emerged from surgery in better shape and will likely live. He is in intensive care and doctors have allowed his family to see him.

Richard Sharpstein, who represented Taylor in a previous criminal case, said Taylor and his girlfriend were in their bedroom and heard noises in the house. The couple’s baby was also in the house. As he walked to the bedroom door to check out the noise, the door swung open and someone fired two shots at Taylor. One shot hit his groin, the other missed him. Taylor’s girlfriend found him breathing heavily.

”Nothing was stolen. They shot at him and fled,” said Sharpstein, who was visiting family at the hospital. “He is clearly the victim of assault in his own home.”

Sharpstein said someone tried to break into Taylor’s house last weekend.

Retirees Pat and Jim Smith live in the house next to Taylor’s. They said they heard voices outside about 2:30 a.m. and went outside to check it out. Jim Smith talked to a woman with a baby in her arms who he believes is Taylor’s nanny. She said someone tried to break into Taylor’s house last weekend and again earlier this weekend.

Still developing…

ChrisG
11-26-2007, 11:32 PM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d8048cd86&template=with-video&confirm=true

according to MNF, doctors asked his family to pray for a miracle

PALMETTO BAY, Fla. -- Washington Redskins star safety Sean Taylor was critically injured Monday in a shooting at his home that family members feared could cause permanent brain damage.

Miami-Dade Police were still investigating who was responsible for the attack, which came just eight days after an intruder was reported at Taylor's home.

The 24-year-old player was in the intensive care unit following surgery at Jackson Memorial Hospital, said family friend Richard Sharpstein, his former lawyer. The bullet hit Taylor in his upper leg and damaged his femoral artery, causing significant blood loss and prompting concerns about blood flow to the brain.

Taylor remained unconscious Monday evening. The Redskins released a statement from vice president of football operations Vinny Cerrato late Monday, stating Taylor remains in critical condition in the ICU and had undergone about seven hours of surgery.

At one point earlier on Monday, Taylor was clinging to life, according to NFL Network's Adam Schefter.

rollinstone18
11-27-2007, 12:24 AM
awful story. i hope he pulls through.

what a talent on the field

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lHQH8TuWJWo&feature=related

kastofsna
11-27-2007, 02:18 AM
critical condition? jesus christ. best safety prospect ever...

Carr Bombed
11-27-2007, 03:29 AM
What a freaking sad story.

PapaL
11-27-2007, 06:20 AM
Per the Miami Herald, link (http://www.miamiherald.com/606/story/322222.html) and Washington Post, link (http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/11/27/AR2007112700538.html?hpid=topnews):

Washington Redskins defensive back Sean Taylor died Tuesday morning, a day after he was shot by an intruder at his home in Palmetto Bay.

He was 24.

The onetime standout with the University of Miami died at Jackson Memorial Hospital's Ryder Trauma Center in Miami, where he was airlifted after the shooting Monday morning.

He suffered massive blood loss. Surgery conducted later in the afternoon could not save him.

The gunman remained on the loose.

"This is just such a tragic, horrible, unnecessary death -- another example of the incessant violence in this city and this country,'' Richard Sharpstein, Taylor's attorney, said early Tuesday morning.

Prayers go out to his Family and Friends. 24 years old is awfully young to pass.

Leahmic223
11-27-2007, 06:22 AM
ESPN reports Sean Taylor has passed away.

Sad sad news, I don't know what else to say.

PapaL
11-27-2007, 07:06 AM
The more I read about this story the sadder it gets. From the sounds of it Sean finally had a wake up call, the birth of a child, and was becoming a man.

Showtime100
11-27-2007, 07:16 AM
Just read about this. Damn.

sakebomb
11-27-2007, 07:40 AM
Very very sad. Prayers are going out to his family during these tough times.

texasguy346
11-27-2007, 08:50 AM
Such a sad story. The guy had a lot of life ahead of him, and it was all snuffed out by some crook trying to make a buck. My thoughts & prayers are with his family.

Silver Oak
11-27-2007, 08:56 AM
odd that he was shot twice in "that area". perhaps a jealous husband, etc.?

just thinking out loud, but either way, sad that he was killed.

RIP Sean Taylor.

Texan_Bill
11-27-2007, 08:58 AM
I was kinda shocked whenever I heard this, because the last report I had heard said that he was critical but starting to do a little better after surgery. At that point, I think they were more worried about the possiblity (and to what degree) of brain damage than they were with him not making it.

alphajoker
11-27-2007, 09:10 AM
Sh*t man, I was really hoping he'd pull through. What a shame.

GlassHalfFull
11-27-2007, 09:11 AM
This is very sad and my thoughts and prayers go out to his family.

Speculation about cause is inappropriate at this time and says more about the speculator than about Sean Taylor.

GlassHalfFull
11-27-2007, 09:24 AM
MJD had a nice bit about Taylor in the Debriefing (http://sports.aol.com/fanhouse/2007/11/27/the-debriefing-so-much-is-wasted-with-taylors-death-02/#cont) today

For any player in any sport, there's a time when a light bulb goes off. Things start to make more sense. The game slows down. They're no longer going through the motions without a sense of direction ... they know what's coming, they know how to respond, and they can begin to realize their potential.

This doesn't just happen in sports. Sometimes, it happens in life, too.

And it was happening for Sean Taylor just before he was pronounced dead early this morning. Those closest to him talked about that light bulb switching on for him. Taylor had become more mature ... he was making better decisions, and he made himself a different guy. He was giving the best things he had inside him to his team, to his wife, and to his daughter.

And now he's gone.

(Also on Today's List: Other things that seem silly in the same column as the Sean Taylor news...)

You know the details of the story by now ... people invaded his home, he confronted them, they shot him, a bullet obliterated his femoral artery, he lost a ton of blood, and early this morning, he lost the fight for his life. He was 24.

That number jumps off the screen at me. 24. Still youthful, but no longer reckless. Young enough to be one of the world's premier athletes, but old enough to be a caring father. 24. I guess there are no good ones, but that seems like a terrible, terrible age for dying.

I hate to even mention the lowest points of his life right now, but if you believe the people who knew him best, this wasn't the same guy who got a DUI in 2004, or who was charged with aggravated assault in 2005.

Said Clinton Portis:

"Ever since he had this child it was like a new Sean. And everybody around here knew it. He was always smiling, always happy, always talking about his child."
And James Thrash:

"From the first day I met him, from then to now, it's just like night and day. He's really got his head on his shoulders and has been doing really well as far as just being a man. It's been awesome to see that growth."
He wasn't perfect, of course. The fact that his home had no security system and that he chose to confront the burglars with a machete that he kept under his bed are evidence of that.

But it sounds like he was turning that corner ... it sounds like he was on his way to becoming a very good man and a wonderful father. He had that potential in him all along, and that his life was taken just as just as he was realizing it is heart-wrenching.

He deserved a chance to live life as a mature, responsible guy who saw things more clearly. His daughter deserved to grow up with a father that loved her so much. That these things were ripped away is a horrible and senseless tragedy.

HoustonFrog
11-27-2007, 09:36 AM
Very sad and tragic. I'm sorry for his death and God bless his family. As I said in the start of this thread, he hung with trouble, but seemed to be trying to change that...I hope it didn't come back to haunt him.

GuerillaBlack
11-27-2007, 09:36 AM
Didn't Andre Johnson play with him?

hot pickle
11-27-2007, 09:38 AM
never said he deserves it. If you sleep with dogs you are just going to get fleas. If you plant corn don't expect to harvest asparagus.

and wat if dunta would of got killed during the robbery in his house... know one would of brought out the thug comment... its almost the same situation execpt sean taylor go shot and killed... being a thug has nothing to do with it... and shouldnt even be broughten up... if he was killed in a drive by or something then ok say that.. but not in this situation

Hervoyel
11-27-2007, 09:41 AM
The more I read about this story the sadder it gets. From the sounds of it Sean finally had a wake up call, the birth of a child, and was becoming a man.

That seems to happen a lot in this world. I personally know two people who were complete fools in their youth and who then straightened out only to get killed just as they were starting to pull their heads out of their "fourth point of contact". It's like fate gets a kick out of saying "Not so fast there pal....." and dropping something like this on people.

My thoughts on the "thug" comments are simple. You are what you do. People will continue to see you that way until you change your behavior for a long enough period of time to eclipse your previous actions. Sean Taylor being killed in his home is a tragedy. That he is thought of in the manner reflected in this thread is a result of his own actions however. I don't believe in tragedy turning people into instant saints. He earned the opinions that are being voiced about him right now.

TEXANS84
11-27-2007, 09:42 AM
Didn't Andre Johnson play with him?

Yes, at the U.

Sad, sad day. Horrible to see that he left behind a 1 year old daughter.

Mr teX
11-27-2007, 09:50 AM
and wat if dunta would of got killed during the robbery in his house... know one would of brought out the thug comment... its almost the same situation execpt sean taylor go shot and killed... being a thug has nothing to do with it... and shouldnt even be broughten up... if he was killed in a drive by or something then ok say that.. but not in this situation

Cosign 100%. It'd be 1 thing if he was killed in a strip club brawl or a shoot out with the cops, then that comment might be more in order. But the reality of it is that he was at home with his family trying to recover from an injury. Let me repeat, he was at his home with his family.

Add in the fact that his home had already been broken in twice before & things were stolen & i think that you can pretty much rule out that it was his "thug" tendencies of the past. Sounds more like a thief going to the cookie jar again & sean surprised him. If someone went there with the exclusive purpose of killing him, he likely would've been shot in a far more serious area than his groin.

Furthermore If he'd been healthly, he likely wouldn't have even been there, he would've been with the team.

HoustonFrog
11-27-2007, 09:58 AM

We don't know the details of the event yet and whether it was a true breakin or someone he knew or had dealings with. I'm not sure why people are so up in arms. His past is part of the story and has been in every report. Its tragic either way and no one has said otherwise. Being shot in the groin twice seems a little more personal to me than just blasting someone. Again, its a tragedy and details will come out. It doesn't matter either way but it is part of the story.

powerfuldragon
11-27-2007, 10:00 AM
RIP sean taylor, you were fun to watch.

HoustonFrog
11-27-2007, 10:11 AM
Just some updates on the reports....

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3129406

Sharpstein said Taylor's girlfriend told him the couple was awakened by loud noises, and Taylor grabbed a machete he keeps in the bedroom for protection. Someone then broke through the bedroom door and fired two shots, one missing and one hitting Taylor, Sharpstein said. Taylor's 1-year-old daughter, Jackie, was also in the house, but neither she nor Taylor's girlfriend were injured.

Police found signs of forced entry, but have not determined if they were caused Monday, or the previous burglary.

The shooting happened in the pale yellow house he bought two years ago. Eight days before the attack someone pried open a front window, rifled through drawers and left a kitchen knife on a bed at Taylor's home, according to police.

"They're really sifting through that incident and today's incident," Miami-Dade Detective Mario Rachid said, "to see if there's any correlation."

Very tragic

Porky
11-27-2007, 10:20 AM
Only the good die young - Billy Joel

I won't comment further until or unless we know the details. It's pretty clear he was trying to turn his life around, but it's also clear that violence begets violence. Let's wait for the facts to unfold.

My condolences to Mr. Taylor's family, friends, teammates and the Redskin nation.

Dread-Head
11-27-2007, 10:44 AM
Something about the whole scenario that just doesn't seem quite right. The police say that someone attempted to break into his place earlier in the week. When the break in DID occur he was shot, but the assailant DIDN'T shoot his girlfriend who WITNESSED him being shot. Curious. Something about that does't seem quite right.

HoustonFrog
11-27-2007, 10:51 AM
Something about the whole scenario that just doesn't seem quite right. The police say that someone attempted to break into his place earlier in the week. When the break in DID occur he was shot, but the assailant DIDN'T shoot his girlfriend who WITNESSED him being shot. Curious. Something about that does't seem quite right.

I don't want to be jumped on because of the tragedy but I thought the same thing. Not only that but the previous break-in involved someone going through drawers and leaving a knife for him to see on the bed. Then this person kicks in the door, shoots him once..attempts twice..and doesn't shoot anyone else and leaves. Just saying. Very sad but the circumstances begs many questions.

infantrycak
11-27-2007, 10:52 AM

Yup--something is going on more than a robbery. Reporter from Florida is on air right now on 790 am and said nothing was stolen in the first break in but a knife was left on his bed. Nothing was stolen the 2nd time either and the phone line was cut.

Porky
11-27-2007, 10:56 AM
I have to agree. There is likely more here than a simple robbery. That's why I stated I don't really want to fully comment until all the facts come out. It MAY have been a simple home invasion, or it MAY have been a whole lot more. Let's let the facts speak for themselves as the case evolves.

In the meantime, I really don't want to do a whole lot of speculating out of respect for the deceased. RIP Sean Taylor.

Texan_Bill
11-27-2007, 10:58 AM
I'm going Porky's route for now, although something seems amiss. Also, lets not forget about Taylor's daughter in all of this.

HoustonFrog
11-27-2007, 10:59 AM
Yup--something is going on more than a robbery. Reporter from Florida is on air right now on 790 am and said nothing was stolen in the first break in but a knife was left on his bed. Nothing was stolen the 2nd time either and the phone line was cut.

That is what I was talking about just above you. Weird to say the least. CNN is also saying that the girlfriend had to call 911 on her cell but weren't sure whether that was due to the phone lines being cut or not.

http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/11/27/obit.taylor/index.html

Taylor's girlfriend "tried to call 911 and it's unclear whether the phone lines were cut or the phone was broken or off or unplugged or turned off," said Sharpstein. "She had to use her cell phone to eventually call 911."

But I agree with everyone that it is speculation and that a man's life who was a father and all was killed.

Dread-Head
11-27-2007, 11:21 AM
He's shot, but she isn't. If Anything happens to him doesn't his daughter inherit his money/house etc? As the child's legal guardian the kid's mother seems as if she stands to benefit from his demise. I'm not saying she did anything, but it looks more than a little suspicious that the person who stands to benefit from the break in (in which NOTHING was stolen) is uninjured in a home invasion that looks as if it were quite well planned.

TexansSeminole
11-27-2007, 11:26 AM
Very sad day.

Second Honeymoon
11-27-2007, 11:36 AM
Speculation aside, I would like to give my condolensces to the Taylor family and all his friends/alumni. You will be missed.

RIP Sean Taylor

Nawzer
11-27-2007, 11:49 AM
What a horrible incident. My prayers and thoughts go out to the Taylor family. He was a great talent who will be missed by his family, friends, and teammates.

stingray
11-27-2007, 11:52 AM
Man, I thought he was gonna pull through. Sad, sad, RIP...

The1ApplePie
11-27-2007, 12:01 PM

This is going to turn into another "Benoit Conspiracy" thing.

Simple

The guy breaks into a house he thinks is empty, get's confronted by suprise by the home owner, lets off a few shots in panic and runs. Pretty common scenario actually.

DiapHer
11-27-2007, 12:05 PM
I'm not sure if someone else has already posted this but where in the heck was his security system especially since he had been broken in before?

infantrycak
11-27-2007, 12:06 PM
The guy breaks into a house he thinks is empty

At this point that would be just as much conjecture as saying he was there with the specific intent to kill Taylor.

FYI--the Florida reporter said Taylor also had family staying in the house.

HoustonFrog
11-27-2007, 12:07 PM

Simple

The guy breaks into a house he thinks is empty, get's confronted by suprise by the home owner, lets off a few shots in panic and runs. Pretty common scenario actually.

The problem is that isn't how it is being told or said what went down. The bedroom door was kicked in, he was shot and he left. The earlier invasion consisted of breaking in, rifling through some drawers and leaving a knife on his bed. Just putting it out there. Its all speculation but that is the report.

kastofsna
11-27-2007, 12:08 PM
oh my godddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddd ddddddddddd. my favorite player ever at Miami.

The1ApplePie
11-27-2007, 12:10 PM
At this point that would be just as much conjecture as saying he was there with the specific intent to kill Taylor.

FYI--the Florida reporter said Taylor also had family staying in the house.

The most likely reason is what I said. If you see this scenario, 90% of the time, it is because of a botched break in.

LORK 88
11-27-2007, 12:16 PM
This is real sad. I can remember a few years ago when I would make mock drafts and I would make us trade up for him. It's just depressing to think that he's gone. RIP Sean Taylor.

Sideline
11-27-2007, 12:20 PM
Absolutley devastating, I loved watching Taylor in college, remeber watching the U and just waiting for him to lay a bit hit or make a huge play.

Rest In Peace Sean Taylor, my prayers go out to his family.

Mr teX
11-27-2007, 12:29 PM

Simple

While i tend to agree here, what I-cak said later is also true. My prayers are out to his family & baby girl.

Tedc
11-27-2007, 12:31 PM
The most likely reason is what I said. If you see this scenario, 90% of the time, it is because of a botched break in.

The police are looking into the other break-in to see if it were related. Someone breaking in to leave a kitchen knife on your bed could be a message.

I think this is the other 10% of the scenario.

steds
11-27-2007, 12:32 PM
Wow. Shocking. Thoughts with his family.

The1ApplePie
11-27-2007, 12:38 PM
The police are looking into the other break-in to see if it were related. Someone breaking in to leave a kitchen knife on your bed could be a message.

I think this is the other 10% of the scenario.

I would think a stalker/fan would be the next likely scenario.

A pro wouldn't shoot a guy in the leg and hope for the best, and surely wouldn't leave the girl alive.

HoustonFrog
11-27-2007, 12:41 PM
I would think a stalker/fan would be the next likely scenario.

A pro wouldn't shoot a guy in the leg and hope for the best, and surely wouldn't leave the girl alive.

So you think a botched robbery would consist of coming into a house, kicking in a bedroom door, shooting one of the three people in the house and then leaving?And it is a total coincidence that a person came in a week earlier, didn't take a thing and left a knife on the bed?To me that seems a far reach. But again, that is just me.

StarStruck
11-27-2007, 12:44 PM
I'm not sure if someone else has already posted this but where in the heck was his security system especially since he had been broken in before?

I posed the same question in B-law class, and was asked immediately, exactly how long does it take a police to respond, and what crook is going to hang around 20 minutes for that to happen.

My sympathies are extended to the Taylor family, friends and team. Yes he was a Redskin, but none of that matters at this time. The rivalry is only in the game.

PapaL
11-27-2007, 12:45 PM
Man, I thought he was gonna pull through. Sad, sad, RIP...

I said that exact same this this morning before I went to the Miami Herald to check out his status. I told a co-worker that he would pull through and be back in training camp next year.

Regardless of his past indiscretions I hope his family and friends can will their way through these tough holidays coming up. Hard to lose someone; even harder at holiday time.

toronto
11-27-2007, 12:50 PM
I am just sick to my stomach over this story.

I am keeping the hell out of any political debate on this.

I am just incredibly saddened and stunned.

Rest in peace and god be with him and his family.

BwareofDWare
11-27-2007, 12:58 PM
I am a big Dallas cowboy fan. Since Taylor has been in the league he has been one of the players I have that has really scared me when he is on the opposite side of the field. Number 21 was a fantastic talent only getting better with each game. He will be missed from this Cowboy fan. But today like most of Cowboy Nation I am a redskin fan.

Mr teX
11-27-2007, 01:17 PM
So you think a botched robbery would consist of coming into a house, kicking in a bedroom door, shooting one of the three people in the house and then leaving?And it is a total coincidence that a person came in a week earlier, didn't take a thing and left a knife on the bed?To me that seems a far reach. But again, that is just me.

Yeah, but you're assuming that the knife was left in such a way that the would-be burglar/killer was trying to send a message. It could also be that whomever it was thought he heard something & threw the knife on the bed & got the hell out of there.

We'll never know what actually happened, but whomever was, it's my opnion that they weren't trying to kill him or anyone in the house.

Tedc
11-27-2007, 01:23 PM
Yeah, but you're assuming that the knife was left in such a way that the would-be burglar/killer was trying to send a message. It could also be that whomever it was thought he heard something & threw the knife on the bed & got the hell out of there.

We'll never know what actually happened, but whomever was, it's my opnion that they weren't trying to kill him or anyone in the house.

Remember, nothing was taken.

If I am breaking into a house, I don't need to get a knife out of the kitchen for protection. I would already be armed.

infantrycak
11-27-2007, 01:23 PM

Ponder this--simple house break in where you have no intent to harm anyone and think there is no one in the house--you then hear a noise in the bedroom--do you (a) get out of Dodge or (b) head into the bedroom gun blazing?

Tedc
11-27-2007, 01:28 PM
Professional thieves know when you are home....and when you aren't.

HoustonFrog
11-27-2007, 01:32 PM

But this is when you have to stop taking the two incidents independently and start looking at the big picture. The knife is left with NOTHING gone and then a week later a guy breaking in doesn't run from trouble but decides it is wise to breakdown the door of one of the rooms where people are and start shooting....and again take nothing. To me that is looking for trouble...not cat burglar sneaking around and keeping a low profile.

Ponder this--simple house break in where you have no intent to harm anyone and think there is no one in the house--you then hear a noise in the bedroom--do you (a) get out of Dodge or (b) head into the bedroom gun blazing?

Just saw this. Better put.

The1ApplePie
11-27-2007, 01:46 PM

You go into the bedroom to grab a plasma screen or whatever, you force the door open, and a big guy is standing there. You squeeze a few shots off, and run.

Professional thieves know when you are home....and when you aren't.

Professional killers don't shoot a guy in the leg, and then run off while leaving witnesses.

If he had a .22 in his forehead, then it would be pro killer time. Even a gangbanger would put a ton of bullets in him if he was afraid.

bah007
11-27-2007, 01:47 PM
You go into the bedroom to grab a plasma screen or whatever, you force the door open, and a big guy is standing there. You squeeze a few shots off, and run.

Professional killers don't shoot a guy in the leg, and then run off while leaving witnesses.

If he had a .22 in his forehead, then it would be pro killer time. Even a gangbanger would put a ton of bullets in him if he was afraid.

Maybe the guy knew that shooting the femoral artery would be a way more painful way to die.

The1ApplePie
11-27-2007, 01:54 PM
Maybe the guy knew that shooting the femoral artery would be a way more painful way to die.

Yeah, but a guy can survive it, which makes it something a pro wouldn't do.

The typical "Buckwheat" (and painful and brutal contract killing) is horrific and long lasting, but a sure kill. Think a gun up your ass

HoustonFrog
11-27-2007, 02:04 PM

So you are a professional burglar who knows the house may have people in it and if you didn't think people were in it, they left a bedroom locked?So instead of getting the TVs from the TV rooms,...you know, sneaking around.. you decide you want the one in the bedroom that is locked so you KICK the door down?

No one said he was a professional killer. People dupe idiots into killing for them all the time. Not all people who shoot are trained killers. If you kick in a door and shoot then you are just trying to hit the person......oh yeah and this follows another breakin with nothing gone and a knife left in the same room.

Sorry, your story is more out of the way and nowhere near 90%

beerlover
11-27-2007, 02:07 PM
terrible news, nobody deserves this, its sick, immoral & a sad statement about our society in general :mad:

Tedc
11-27-2007, 02:12 PM

I think it looks more to what Dreadhead was saying. Maybe a jealous ex-boyfriend, possibly something more elaberate. The shot wasn't in an area that I would consider the leg and seems like the shooter may have had some reason to shoot low (groin).

I was reading a link that stated that he heard a noise in the house, grabbed his machette, and locked the bedroom door before it was broken into. Doesn't sound like the shooter was looking for a plasma.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/11/27/AR2007112700538.html?hpid=topnews

indiantexan
11-27-2007, 02:17 PM
Sean Taylor did have a violent past but had apparently cleaned up his act after the birth of his daughter. Nevertheless, he was a great player and the game of football is poorer with his loss. Rip Sean Taylor

The1ApplePie
11-27-2007, 02:19 PM
So you are a professional burglar who knows the house may have people in it and if you didn't think people were in it, they left a bedroom locked?So instead of getting the TVs from the TV rooms,...you know, sneaking around.. you decide you want the one in the bedroom that is locked so you KICK the door down?

No one said he was a professional killer. People dupe idiots into killing for them all the time. Not all people who shoot are trained killers. If you kick in a door and shoot then you are just trying to hit the person......oh yeah and this follows another breakin with nothing gone and a knife left in the same room.

Sorry, your story is more out of the way and nowhere near 90%

You've heard of home invasions right?

Kick in the door, hold people at gunpoint, get the money.

Guy get's suprised, fires off a shot or two and runs. Happens all the time.

kastofsna
11-27-2007, 02:22 PM
lmao tons of opinions in this thread based on absolutely nothing. like there's any sort of math or science to how a "pro" gunman would handle things. just nonsense. we know nothing, and this speculation is asinine.

GlassHalfFull
11-27-2007, 02:25 PM
This is very sad and my thoughts and prayers go out to his family.

Speculation about cause is inappropriate at this time and says more about the speculator than about Sean Taylor.

I agree with Kastofsna. I posted this earlier this morning. It got buried but I think it is worth repeating at this point.

powerfuldragon
11-27-2007, 02:28 PM
men don't shoot other men in the groin.

Texan_Bill
11-27-2007, 02:28 PM

True Apple.. But I have also heard of home invasions for other reasons too. For example: Drug deals, gambling debts, etc. where the invaders intent is not to rob or kill the victim but to hurt them. A misplaced shot in the leg, could lead to undesirable results.

Not saying thats what happened at all, I am just saying that if you (or anybody) want to speculate, you have to be open to whole lot of different theories.

Bulluck53
11-27-2007, 02:35 PM
Absolutely terrible news. Prayers go out to the Taylor family and the Redskins organization

Tedc
11-27-2007, 02:35 PM
men don't shoot other men in the groin.

Man law.

rollinstone18
11-27-2007, 02:53 PM
wow, horrible day. Taylor was easily the most entertaining safties in the NFL. And he was only 24.

glad to know there are so many captain obviouses here to say sean should have picked his friends better. pat yourself on the back and shut the f--- up.

TexansSeminole
11-27-2007, 02:58 PM
Anything could have happened.

I do know that when you rob someone you don't kick doors in. You don't make any noise at all. The robber is worried about someone being home the whole time, even if the house was well watched before the robbery was commenced. Robbers just never know when they are in the clear, and most experienced robbers listen for noise within the house before putting themselves in a situation to be seen.

Also, any SMART robbery on a house like Taylor's is going to be well planned. There are too many valuables to take if people are in the house. This isn't like getting your 1 or 2 bedroom apartment broken into, where robbers don't care to know if anyone is home. If they were trying to rob Taylor successfully, watching his house would have been the first thing they would have done. Surveillance on the house for days, probably more like weeks before the robbery takes place.

I'm not trying to push any scenario but a robbery on a house like Taylor's would not have gone down like this MOST times.

The1ApplePie, of the robberies you speak of how many are on multi-million dollar homes? What robber breaks into a multi-million dollar home, with a millionaire owner, and starts kicking doors down? Especially if he knows he can be overpowered by Taylor pretty easily if caught off guard. Either a really, really dumb robber, or not a robber at all.

Just my :twocents: on motive.

Brando
11-27-2007, 03:15 PM
Sean Taylor did have a violent past but had apparently cleaned up his act after the birth of his daughter. Nevertheless, he was a great player and the game of football is poorer with his loss. Rip Sean Taylor

Yes that is what I have heard as well. If he was out late at night then that would be a different story but he was at home with his girlfriend and daughter. This just blew me away this morning. He was only 24! I am saddened to hear he lost his life. He was way to young.

RIP Sean.

HoustonFrog
11-27-2007, 03:16 PM
I agree with Kastofsna. I posted this earlier this morning. It got buried but I think it is worth repeating at this point.

glad to know there are so many captain obviouses here to say sean should have picked his friends better. pat yourself on the back and shut the f--- up.

lmao tons of opinions in this thread based on absolutely nothing. like there's any sort of math or science to how a "pro" gunman would handle things. just nonsense. we know nothing, and this speculation is asinine.

Some people need to step off their high horse. Speculation in this thread doesn't make anyone a bad person. It is a topic on every sports radio station and on every website. I've yet to see anyone here say the guy deserved it. Everyone has said nice things. However, part of the story is the guys past. They go part and parcel with everything else. Since there are stories floating around it is a valid topic of discussion. It doesn't take away from the tragedy. Sad story with people asking questions. So step down off your soapboxes and stop acting like your above it all. Hope your rants made you feel superior for the day.

austintexanite
11-27-2007, 03:22 PM
My condolences to his family and the Redskins organization. Truly sad.

Specnatz
11-27-2007, 03:31 PM

I will be completely honest ............ It is not a complete shock to me that Apple is taking his stance what so ever, going by his past history he will find every excuse in the book that there was nothing out of the ordinary on this even if God himself said seriously there is something afoot.

Oh by the way I have never, ever heard of a home invasion where it is one criminal, never!! Everytime there is a home invasion it is multiple invaders not one who shoot after kicking in a door and running.

I am neither dumb or naive to think that there is not something that is a little out of whack here. Now I am not saying taylor is the reason it is out of whack but there is something more fishy here than a sushi bar.

powerfuldragon
11-27-2007, 03:46 PM
S. Taylor rookie season highlights:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gj0rEv6Gfk8

kastofsna
11-27-2007, 03:59 PM
Some people need to step off their high horse. Speculation in this thread doesn't make anyone a bad person. It is a topic on every sports radio station and on every website. I've yet to see anyone here say the guy deserved it. Everyone has said nice things. However, part of the story is the guys past. They go part and parcel with everything else. Since there are stories floating around it is a valid topic of discussion. It doesn't take away from the tragedy. Sad story with people asking questions. So step down off your soapboxes and stop acting like your above it all. Hope your rants made you feel superior for the day.
i don't care about speculation, i just think the ultra-specific details and pretending to know something about what it means to be a professional burglar is just nonsense.

HoustonFrog
11-27-2007, 04:03 PM
i don't care about speculation, i just think the ultra-specific details and pretending to know something about what it means to be a professional burglar is just nonsense.

Well, that I have no clue on. I don't know any professional burglars or shooters and haven't seen any film on either. I just know that if I wanted to steal your old Csonka autographed jersey from its glass case, I sure would start in your game room and not kick in your bedroom door. You could have nunchucks for all I know.

kastofsna
11-27-2007, 04:20 PM
if i ever collect anything with autographs on them, i would definitely deserve to be shot and killed.

HoustonFrog
11-27-2007, 04:22 PM
if i ever collect anything with autographs on them, i would definitely deserve to be shot and killed.

OK Finkel:)

alphajoker
11-27-2007, 04:29 PM

Thanks for the link. It kind of made me upset to know that he had the potential to be special player and instead now, he's dead. We will never know.

rollinstone18
11-27-2007, 04:32 PM

right, because all variations and regurgitations of "live by the gun, die by the gun" are so substantive and necessary for the thread to continue.

Hope your rants made you feel superior for the day.

back at ya.

rollinstone18
11-27-2007, 04:34 PM
Sean sure could lay the wood...

http://youtube.com/watch?v=lHQH8TuWJWo

HoustonFrog
11-27-2007, 04:47 PM
right, because all variations and regurgitations of "live by the gun, die by the gun" are so substantive and necessary for the thread to continue.

back at ya.

90% of the thread has nothing to do with that and is a simple conversation on whether people think something went awry compared to a simple burglary. RIF might help.

Back at what?The fact that I don't like having people act like they are so much cooler by throwing out the f bomb and telling posters to shut up?Get over yourself. People can have civil discourse without telling people to "shut the f up."

rollinstone18
11-27-2007, 04:58 PM
The fact that I don't like having people act like they are so much cooler by throwing out the f bomb and telling posters to shut up?Get over yourself. People can have civil discourse without telling people to "shut the f up."

:laughjump: . if you feel like lecturing me some more, pm me instead.

Carr Bombed
11-27-2007, 05:00 PM
I really don't think this has anything to do with Sean being a "thug", from everything that's coming out it sounds like he was on the right path.

I mean Dunta Robinson is not a thug and let's face it........we were one pull of a trigger away from this being a "Dunta Robinson dies after being shot in the head at his Houston home" Thread.

Curtis Martin wasn't a thug and was considered one of the nicest human beings in the league.......he had a gun pointed at his head and the trigger pulled.......luckily the gun jammed.

I was just watching NFL Live and they were talking about what steps the league is trying to take and they were talking about how the league encourages players not to have guns and stay away from them..............sorry, but if I was a player and watched what has gone down in the past year between Darrent Williams, Dunta Robinson, and now Sean Taylor...........I'm packing heat and if I hear a bump in the night, I'm shooting first and asking questions later. If you can't feel safe in your own damn house where can you feel safe at. These athletes are targets and if I was one, I would reserve the right to protect myself and my family......screw what anybody else has to say about it.

StarStruck
11-27-2007, 05:05 PM
I really don't think this has anything to do with Sean being a "thug", from everything that's coming out it sounds like he was on the right path.

I mean Dunta Robinson is not a thug and let's face it........we were one pull of a trigger away from this being a "Dunta Robinson dies after being shot in the head at his Houston home" Thread.

Curtis Martin wasn't a thug and was considered one of the nicest human beings in the league.......he had a gun pointed at his head and the trigger pulled.......luckily the gun jammed.

I was just watching NFL Live and they were talking about what steps the league is trying to take and they were talking about how the league encourages players not to have guns and stay away from them..............sorry, but if I was a player and watched what has gone down in the past year between Darrent Williams, Dunta Robinson, and now Sean Taylor...........I'm packing heat and if I hear a bump in the night, I'm shooting first and asking questions later. If you can't feel safe in your own damn house where can you feel safe at. These athletes are targets and if I was one, I would reserve the right to protect myself and my family......screw what anybody else has to say about it.

I read on the Ranch that due to some problems Taylor had in 2005, that he was not to be in possession of firearms. It appears he was obeying the law.

I recall that when Dunta Robinson was robbed at gunpoint, there was also speculation about the nature of that incident.

Second Honeymoon
11-27-2007, 05:08 PM
I read on the Ranch that due to some problems Taylor had in 2005, that he was not to be in possession of firearms. It appears he was obeying the law.

I recall that when Dunta Robinson was robbed at gunpoint, there was also speculation about the nature of that incident.

that would be sad if he had to give up his 2nd Amendment rights and that ultimately may have damned him to being murdered. him not having legal access to guns was his fault, but him being murdered sure isn't.

Carr Bombed
11-27-2007, 05:24 PM

I don't remember any speculation at all, he was robbed and they later caught the guy with his watch.........he was a victim of a common robbery.

YellerLotYeller
11-27-2007, 05:48 PM
WOW......a guy in my office just said he was glad it was a Redskin. Typical cowgirl fan....funny thing he is a nice old man, I thought.

Porky
11-27-2007, 05:53 PM
Here are some details from Sean Taylor's attorney:

Sharpstein said that from the time of the attack, Taylor never regained consciousness.

"There was a brief moment where a nurse felt him squeeze her hand but that was false hope," the attorney said.

He called Taylor's death "completely tragic and unnecessary violence" and said he would be sorely missed.

"People loved him and he will be long missed by many, many people -- not just his fans, but the family and friends that knew him well," Sharpstein said.

At 1:45 a.m. Monday, a woman identified as Taylor's girlfriend called 911 and said someone had been shot. Taylor was airlifted to Miami's Jackson Memorial Hospital.

Sharpstein said Taylor's girlfriend told police what happened as she was hiding under bedcovers during the attack.

"Sean was awakened with his girlfriend and 18-month old baby," Sharpstein said. There were "noises, thumps in the living room." Taylor "got up and locked the bedroom door. Before he could do anything, the door was kicked in and two shots were fired -- one hit him in the leg, one went into the wall."

Taylor "was on the floor, non-responsive, bleeding out and chest heaving, eyes rolled back and he was pretty much gone from that point on," Sharpstein said.

Taylor's girlfriend "tried to call 911 and it's unclear whether the phone lines were cut or the phone was broken or off or unplugged or turned off," said Sharpstein. "She had to use her cell phone to eventually call 911."

"Whether this was a purposeful action in taking Sean's life or in shooting him or whether it was a burglary gone awry, the police are still investigating those circumstances," Sharpstein said.

The attorney said Taylor was home unexpectedly due to an injury, and "no one expected him there."

"I think he was surprised or they were surprised to find him there," Sharpstein said.

link (http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/11/27/obit.taylor/index.html)

StarStruck
11-27-2007, 05:55 PM
WOW......a guy in my office just said he was glad it was a Redskin. Typical cowgirl fan....funny thing he is a nice old man, I thought.

Yes, there is always one attached to every team, and the one that gets the publicity for the group. I have spent a great deal of time at the Ranch today, that out of eight pages of posts only two made insensitive comments. Both have been banned. The Redskins are our true rivals, but in times like this, we have come together and shown more compassion than most could possibly understand. It's almost like fighting brothers until something happens to one of them.

YellerLotYeller
11-27-2007, 06:19 PM
Yes, there is always one attached to every team, and the one that gets the publicity for the group. I have spent a great deal of time at the Ranch today, that out of eight pages of posts only two made insensitive comments. Both have been banned. The Redskins are our true rivals, but in times like this, we have come together and shown more compassion than most could possibly understand. It's almost like fighting brothers until something happens to one of them.

I can understand that completely.
If this happened to a Titan, I would feel horrible the same way I do for Taylor and his family.

HoustonFrog
11-27-2007, 06:44 PM
:laughjump: . if you feel like lecturing me some more, pm me instead.

Its not a lecture. I have nothing against you and don't hold grudges on here. For all I know we agree on alot. I just don't think many on here like to be berated and told to "shut the F#$% up." Call me crazy.:wacko: .

infantrycak
11-27-2007, 08:36 PM
I'm just curious--did the girlfriend put on or try to put on a tourniquet?

Dread-Head
11-27-2007, 08:49 PM

Some moron you work with said that about a man losing his life? Wow what a vinegar and water filled feminine hygene product.

Carr Bombed
11-27-2007, 08:49 PM

From where it sounds like the injury was at it was probably impossible to put on a tourniquet..........however if she stuck her fingers into the wound and kept pressure on it she probably could've saved his life.

Revolution
11-27-2007, 10:00 PM
RIP Sean.

hot pickle
11-27-2007, 10:19 PM
RIP sean

BigBull17
11-27-2007, 11:00 PM

Who knows. Arteries like the femoral are so hard to live through even if you are working with experts. A terrified young woman who most likly has little to no first aid experience. Its unlikly to have changed the outcome. Im no doctor or anything, but I dont think she could have done much.

HoustonFrog
11-27-2007, 11:22 PM

No clue, good question. I think with the amount of blood you'd lose with that artery it probably would have been tough but any amount helps/

Vinny
11-27-2007, 11:50 PM
Yup--something is going on more than a robbery. Reporter from Florida is on air right now on 790 am and said nothing was stolen in the first break in but a knife was left on his bed. Nothing was stolen the 2nd time either and the phone line was cut.I was reading that in one of the robberies the thieves took apart his AC vents looking for hidden 'stuff' - there is much more to this story than we know right now.

Any other smart a** remarks?no, and it wasn't a smartass remark. The people you hang with often define you as well or better than you define yourself. That said, I was too flip and didn't understand the serious nature of this at the start of the thread. I took down my comment out of respect for everyone here and for Sean Taylor.

wow, horrible day. Taylor was easily the most entertaining safties in the NFL. And he was only 24.

glad to know there are so many captain obviouses here to say sean should have picked his friends better. pat yourself on the back and shut the f--- up.That's really not needed. It's a tragedy now that he is dead. I think most of us understand that it is a sad day even if some of us never liked his lifestyle in the past. He was a great player and seemed to have his life turned around. It's a horrible story no matter how you slice it.

Some people need to step off their high horse. Speculation in this thread doesn't make anyone a bad person. It is a topic on every sports radio station and on every website. I've yet to see anyone here say the guy deserved it. Everyone has said nice things. However, part of the story is the guys past. They go part and parcel with everything else. Since there are stories floating around it is a valid topic of discussion. It doesn't take away from the tragedy. Sad story with people asking questions. So step down off your soapboxes and stop acting like your above it all. Hope your rants made you feel superior for the day.good post

Thanks for the link. It kind of made me upset to know that he had the potential to be special player and instead now, he's dead. We will never know.He already was a special player and was on his way to the HOF as his best days were in front of him.

Its not a lecture. I have nothing against you and don't hold grudges on here. For all I know we agree on alot. I just don't think many on here like to be berated and told to "shut the F#$% up." Call me crazy.:wacko: . yep.

stingray
11-28-2007, 12:10 AM
I don't know if it's been posted on this thread, probably has, but just heard that his girlfriend in the house is Andy Garcias niece.

Specnatz
11-28-2007, 06:11 AM
Every game this weekend will have a moment of silence and the Redskins will wear a patch ................... I am not trying to trash the guy but there are a ton of unanswered questions, this reminds me so much of how the Benoit situation played out.

Doing anything while questions are abound is just plain nutz.

PapaL
11-28-2007, 06:22 AM
Every game this weekend will have a moment of silence and the Redskins will wear a patch ................... I am not trying to trash the guy but there are a ton of unanswered questions, this reminds me so much of how the Benoit situation played out.

Are you saying you have an issue with the moment of silence and the patch because his death/murder is unsolved or because of the circumstances?

Regardless one of their own passed away - they should honor their memory regardless if they were a Saint.

Maddict5
11-28-2007, 07:27 AM
obviously its a terrible story but i saw this on another site and thought it was pretty funny:

"If Sean Taylor was a member of the New England Patriots, Bill Belichick would have him listed as "questionable: groin" for Sunday's game at Baltimore."

GuerillaBlack
11-28-2007, 07:31 AM
Didn't read the whole thread, so this was probably said, but the four NFL players killed this year were all active in the NFL, and all 24 years old.

Saw this at ExtremeSkins (Redskins Forum):

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g56/chrisavery72/rip.jpg

Mr teX
11-28-2007, 09:26 AM
Here are some details from Sean Taylor's attorney:

Sharpstein said that from the time of the attack, Taylor never regained consciousness.

"There was a brief moment where a nurse felt him squeeze her hand but that was false hope," the attorney said.

He called Taylor's death "completely tragic and unnecessary violence" and said he would be sorely missed.

"People loved him and he will be long missed by many, many people -- not just his fans, but the family and friends that knew him well," Sharpstein said.

At 1:45 a.m. Monday, a woman identified as Taylor's girlfriend called 911 and said someone had been shot. Taylor was airlifted to Miami's Jackson Memorial Hospital.

Sharpstein said Taylor's girlfriend told police what happened as she was hiding under bedcovers during the attack.

"Sean was awakened with his girlfriend and 18-month old baby," Sharpstein said. There were "noises, thumps in the living room." Taylor "got up and locked the bedroom door. Before he could do anything, the door was kicked in and two shots were fired -- one hit him in the leg, one went into the wall."

Taylor "was on the floor, non-responsive, bleeding out and chest heaving, eyes rolled back and he was pretty much gone from that point on," Sharpstein said.

"Whether this was a purposeful action in taking Sean's life or in shooting him or whether it was a burglary gone awry, the police are still investigating those circumstances," Sharpstein said.

Saw on ESPN yesterday, 1 of the detectives said that in the previous break in, they tried to get in his safe as well.

The attorney said Taylor was home unexpectedly due to an injury, and "no one expected him there. I think he was surprised or they were surprised to find him there," Sharpstein said.

This last part is what i think many are overlooking. He wasn't supposed to be there, Gibbs even said that he didn't know Taylor had gone back to Florida after he got his treatment before last week's game. I guess the ***** who did this probably didn't expect him to be there either, b/c that would be the only reason you come in making alot of noise if you intend on robbing someone.

link (http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/11/27/obit.taylor/index.html)

On a side note, this kind of crap has been happening more & more over the last couple of years with pro athletes (Dunta Robinson, Sean Taylor, Curtis Martin, Eddie Curry & a few others) i think some group of people might be targeting these guys specifically.

texasguy346
11-28-2007, 10:03 AM
On a side note, this kind of crap has been happening more & more over the last couple of years with pro athletes (Dunta Robinson, Sean Taylor, Curtis Martin, Eddie Curry & a few others) i think some group of people might be targeting these guys specifically.

Professional athletes are always a target. I would expect the NFL to focus more on this issue next season with younger players. Perhaps trying to instruct them on ways to make yourself less of target to this type of crime. Things like limiting the amount of people you actually bring to your house. The fewer people that know where you live the better as anyone who's been to your house can share details of the layout of your house & where or what valuables you have.

We've seen things like this in the past happen to average everyday people as well. I believe there was a crime a little over a year ago where a man had visited a strip club. He ended up taking one of the strippers home. Afterwards he left to take the stripper back to the club or to her house & while he was gone his house was robbed. The stripper had called her partners to let them know where the best stuff was in the man's house & how to get in.

I wouldn't be surprised to find out at the end of all this that someone who had access to the house previously (be it a friend, repairman, etc.) had a role in the crime.

HOU-TEX
11-28-2007, 10:42 AM

If the wound was in the crotch region of the leg, where would the tourniquet be located? I'd venture to guess not many people would know where to place it. Especially under the given circumstances. I think it's possible to sustain further damage by having the tourniquet in the wrong place.

From where it sounds like the injury was at it was probably impossible to put on a tourniquet..........however if she stuck her fingers into the wound and kept pressure on it she probably could've saved his life.

I might be wrong, but I don't think it'd help having a severed artery. I believe it's still possible to bleed out internally.

Again, I'm no doctor.:)

Vinny
11-28-2007, 10:55 AM
If the wound was in the crotch region of the leg, where would the tourniquet be located? I'd venture to guess not many people would know where to place it. Especially under the given circumstances. I think it's possible to sustain further damage by having the tourniquet in the wrong place.

I might be wrong, but I don't think it'd help having a severed artery. I believe it's still possible to bleed out internally.

Again, I'm no doctor.:)It's almost impossible to apply a tourniquet where he was shot from what I've gathered. From what I understand he was unconscious within a couple of minutes of bleeding and really never had a chance of any normal recovery. The artery that was severed is about as big around as your index finger. You can imagine the scene.

StarStruck
11-28-2007, 10:57 AM

I saw an interview last night with Roy Williams, and he said that he will be wearing the #21 patch as well. I can imagine that when something like this happens, it affects more players than those who are on the team, as with Roy Williams.

Personally, I don't find it nutz if teams choose to pay respects to one of their players during or before the game. I couldn't imagine a team choosing to pay a tribute to a team mate only after clearing an investigation that could take months. Then OBTW, let's pay tribute to John Doe since we have now found that his murder wasn't associated with his background. I also doubt if many Redskins fans would share that view as well.

powerfuldragon
11-28-2007, 10:58 AM

Sean sure could lay the wood...

http://youtube.com/watch?v=lHQH8TuWJWo

... the nfl removed all the sean taylor stuff from youtube... fascists...

The people you hang with often define you as well or better than you define yourself.

He already was a special player and was on his way to the HOF as his best days were in front of him.

yup, that's why we have that birds of a feather saying...

and yes, i agree he'd have been HOF material.

it's battlefield medicine... jam your fingers into the wound and if you find the artery, do your best to pinch it shut.

HOU-TEX
11-28-2007, 11:03 AM
It's almost impossible to apply a tourniquet where he was shot from what I've gathered. From what I understand he was unconscious within a couple of minutes of bleeding and really never had a chance of any normal recovery. The artery that was severed is about as big around as your index finger. You can imagine the scene.

I'd gather it was a pretty gruesome sight. I had both arteries in my wrist severed at one time and it was a blood bath. A friend of mine's Father applied the tourniquet to my elbow area and basically saved my hand. It amazing how fast your blood pumped throughtout your body. :cool:

StarStruck
11-28-2007, 11:10 AM
... the nfl removed all the sean taylor stuff from youtube... fascists...

yup, that's why we have that birds of a feather saying...

and yes, i agree he'd have been HOF material.

In a way I can understand the NFL removing material from youtube. The videos could have turned out almost endless. I saw a couple that were pretty poorly done tributes and probably more to do with getting their faces out there.

I don't always agree with the birds of a feather, nor leopards can't change their spots (I think it's spots?) sayings, because with maturity, many people do change. I don't know anything about Sean Taylor other what I have read or heard others that know him say. It seems from various interviews, a number of people said that he matured a lot after the birth of his child. I have seen some pretty bad actors in their youth turn out to be ministers, and good ones at that.

infantrycak
11-28-2007, 11:31 AM

It may have been impossible if it was too far into the groin. If it was in the leg who knows, but I don't think there is any risk of further damage than bleeding out.

Again, I'm no doctor.:)

No--this wasn't possible but if a forceps could have been put on the upstream side of the wound it could have prevented the bleed out--think water hose bent in two to stop the flow. There would be back pressure but it wouldn't have caused internal bleeding in the trunk of his body.

For the record, I wasn't criticizing the girl friend, just curious.

Mr teX
11-28-2007, 12:07 PM
It's almost impossible to apply a tourniquet where he was shot from what I've gathered. From what I understand he was unconscious within a couple of minutes of bleeding and really never had a chance of any normal recovery. The artery that was severed is about as big around as your index finger. You can imagine the scene.

Not only that, the artery that the bullet tore up comes off the largest artery in your body, the aorta. I see it all the time when doctors pull catheters from the groin area & they have to manually hold pressure for at least 20 minutes before they can release & put a femstop on to continue to hold pressure for another 2 hours.

& that's just a hole a little bit bigger than a pen tip. Imagine trying to stop bleeding in the same artery with a hole the size of a dime.

Specnatz
11-28-2007, 01:44 PM
Are you saying you have an issue with the moment of silence and the patch because his death/murder is unsolved or because of the circumstances?

Regardless one of their own passed away - they should honor their memory regardless if they were a Saint.

I am a synic and I just see this blowing up in there face. I feel bad that he is gone and his child now has to grow up without a father and for the redskins to do this I have no real issues with but I would tread lightly with the other teams. Like I said I have become so anti-trustful when it comes to situations that are not explained.

kastofsna
11-28-2007, 02:34 PM
well most synical people don't trust nobody.

Specnatz
11-28-2007, 03:16 PM
well most synical people don't trust nobody.

I trust people, it is just that I am extremely catious with whom I trust.

El Amigo Invisible
11-28-2007, 03:50 PM
I trust people, it is just that I am extremely catious with whom I trust.

RIP

Joe Texan
11-28-2007, 07:12 PM
Taylor, who in his short NFL career was fined at least seven times for infractions like late hits during games (once spitting in an opponent's face), was arrested in 2005 for threatening with a gun a group of people he accused of stealing his all-terrain vehicle. He later pleaded guilty to misdemeanor assault charges. Shortly after the altercation, Taylor's SUV was sprayed by bullets in a drive-by shooting, although no one was injured.

I got this from the yahoo front page.

Shortly after the altercation, Taylor's SUV was sprayed by bullets in a drive-by shooting, although no one was injured.

It quite possibly was a gang hit, a finish job by the gang for botching the job after his yelling at the "group of people he accused of stealing his all-terrain vehicle".

When I was in Oakland, a week before I got there there was the same kind of drive by at the gate where we go in the parking lot. Seems a carload of girls stopped by saturday night to see one of the motorhomes lined up at the gate. Some guys yelled at the girls as they were leaving. 45 minutes later a carload of 20 showed and 3 had guns and started firing hitting the 4 boys that did the yelling. A meticulously planned hit by a Gang that is more structured than you or I think. Sean probably let this blow over not thinking of any more retaliation. It is this reason and this reason alone that if your found to be a Gang member you should be put to death.

With the knife on the bead you can't say he was not aware some one was after him but no one would expect what happened to him. Sean was an inoccent Victim in a brutal break in.

It is Shameful that this happened to someone with such a bright future and a beautiful family. One thing all must remember in all of this is that Sean Taylor was a victim, A human and the father of a young Girl who will never know her daddy. There is no reason the Bird of a feather statement should be used period.

All I can say is I will miss the awesome play this kid could deliver on a foootball feild and may he rest in peace. May God help his family and friends cope with thier loss.

Second Honeymoon
11-28-2007, 07:42 PM
Well Antrel Rolle, one of Taylor's NFL contemporaries and close friends, says the burglary or random criminal act theory is bogus. He believes he was targeted due to the crowd that Taylor USED TO hang around with when he was coming up and during his early years at 'The U' and in the NFL.

I think this goes to show that even if you spurn the bad actors that you used to hang around with, they will still find a way to try and bring you back 'into the fold'...dead or alive.

This whole criminal element attaching itself to some of the NFL elite is just part and parcel of the glorification of criminal life and hiphop 'thug' mentality. Get rich or die tryin' isn't just a term but its a #1 album. It's also a recipe for an early end to a promising and blessed life.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3132378

here is an excerpt from the article about Rolle's feelings on the shooting:

"This was not the first incident," Rolle said. "They've been targeting him for three years now."

Rolle said many former "friends" had it in for Taylor, who was trying to build a more stable life.

"He really didn't say too much," Rolle said, "but I know he lived his life pretty much scared every day of his life when he was down in Miami because those people were targeting him. At least, he's got peace now."

RTP2110
11-28-2007, 11:03 PM
ST's college teammate doubts it was a burglary attempt.

HoustonFrog
11-28-2007, 11:17 PM
ST's college teammate doubts it was a burglary attempt.

I was about to post the same...just added some quotes for the quick read.

TEMPE, Ariz. -- Still in disbelief of his childhood friend's shooting death, Arizona Cardinals cornerback Antrel Rolle vowed Wednesday to make sure Sean Taylor is remembered.

He added he did not believe the killing was part of a burglary gone sour, and that Taylor had many enemies on the streets of Miami.

"This was not the first incident," Rolle said. "They've been targeting him for three years now."

Rolle said many former "friends" had it in for Taylor, who was trying to build a more stable life.

"He really didn't say too much," Rolle said, "but I know he lived his life pretty much scared every day of his life when he was down in Miami because those people were targeting him. At least, he's got peace now."

GuerillaBlack
11-28-2007, 11:30 PM
The Redskins may play with just 10 players on defense for the opening defensive play. I hope the Bills QB will take a knee...or the whole team doing the same. Also, Clinton Portis, who was very close to Sean Taylor, may wear #21 for this game, or the rest of the season.

bah007
11-29-2007, 09:27 AM
The Redskins may play with just 10 players on defense for the opening defensive play. I hope the Bills QB will take a knee...or the whole team doing the same. Also, Clinton Portis, who was very close to Sean Taylor, may wear #21 for this game, or the rest of the season.

I'm not so sure that's fair. It would be nice if the Bills did that, but they better not get flamed if they dont.

PapaL
11-29-2007, 09:30 AM

Where did you hear/read that?

GuerillaBlack
11-29-2007, 09:36 AM
Where did you hear/read that?

A Redskins fan posted it at another board.

PapaL
11-29-2007, 09:37 AM
A Redskins fan posted it at another board.

Just struck me as odd. I live in DC and hadn't heard that. Not doubting, just curious.

*Edit*
Just read this on SI.com, link (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/football/nfl/11/29/portis.taylor.ap/index.html):

Portis said he considered wearing Taylor's No. 21 jersey in Sunday's game against the Buffalo Bills but decided against it.

I think it would have been a good gesture.

RTP2110
11-29-2007, 06:24 PM
It could work if Washington simply kneeled down as well on their 1st snap.

HoustonFrog
11-30-2007, 01:22 PM
3 guys have been Detained in the case

http://www.local10.com/news/14736793/detail.html

MIAMI -- An attorney and family friend for Washington Redskins safety Sean Taylor said three people have been detained in the Fort Myers area for questioning in connection with his death.

Richard Sharpstein confirmed Friday that the Florida Department of Law Enforcement and Miami-Dade police detained two teenagers and a third person, Local 10's Rad Berky reported.

The Miami Herald reported that investigators believe the three learned of Taylor's house through someone who unwittingly set up the burglary by bragging about his wealth. The newspaper reported their ages as being 17, 19 and 26.

Mr teX
11-30-2007, 01:47 PM
3 guys have been Detained in the case

http://www.local10.com/news/14736793/detail.html

17,19 & 26? this would explain some of the dumb things they did if they were in fact trying to rob him.

HoustonFrog
11-30-2007, 01:50 PM
17,19 & 26? this would explain some of the dumb things they did if they were in fact trying to rob him.

Yup, that is what I was thinking

Vinny
11-30-2007, 01:51 PM
Aren't most criminals in the 17-30 demographic? I'd bet most violent crimes are committed by young men.

Specnatz
11-30-2007, 01:51 PM
It still does not make sense about the other home invasion where the knife was left on the bed. This is going to get stranger before everything is known.

Mr teX
11-30-2007, 02:06 PM
It still does not make sense about the other home invasion where the knife was left on the bed. This is going to get stranger before everything is known.

We don't know exactly how that knife was left on the bed i.e. was it just thrown on it like someone was trying to get out of there as fast as possible or was it placed on it in such a way to send a message.

StarStruck
11-30-2007, 02:10 PM

It's possible that a kitchen knife could also serve as a screw driver.

texasguy346
11-30-2007, 02:18 PM
It's possible that a kitchen knife could also serve as a screw driver.

Or they might've tried to use it to get into the safe. Hopefully we'll get more answers after the police question these men.

Mr teX
11-30-2007, 02:19 PM
Aren't most criminals in the 17-30 demographic? I'd bet most violent crimes are committed by young men.

That's probably true, but it might shed some light on some things.

Like why if they were specifically there to kill him as some have speculated, he was shot in the groin & not in the head or chest or any other "kill shot" area.

& of course, why if you're trying to rob someone you don't take anything..... in both instances.

They were probably just young, stupid punks who got surprised by Taylor, let off a couple of wild shots just to get out of there & didn't realize the severity of what they'd done till later.

.......That is of course if they are the involved in this, hopefully for his family's sake, they find out sooner rather than later.

HoustonFrog
11-30-2007, 02:29 PM

Probably. I just have the idea in my head. People kept asking why he was shot in the leg, etc. I just always imagined it was a burglary/setup where it was a young kid trying to get his name around the gang areas/initiation so when he broke in the door he was just scared and shooting. I never took it as a guy all in black with a silencer catting around the house if it was a past issue.

Porky
11-30-2007, 02:57 PM
Anyone willing to chip in for a first class ticket for Joe Horn from Houston to Florida? :pirate:

Texan_Bill
11-30-2007, 03:00 PM
Anyone willing to chip in for a first class ticket for Joe Horn from Houston to Florida? :pirate:

LMAO!! Sign me up Porky!!!

bah007
11-30-2007, 04:00 PM
I'm not normally a fan of Jason Whitlock, but I thought I would post it.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/7499442

Pure speculation at this point, but a good read.

HoustonFrog
11-30-2007, 04:03 PM
I'm not normally a fan of Jason Whitlock, but I thought I would post it.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/7499442

Pure speculation at this point, but a good read.

This is in the non-sports Spin Zone if you want to read reaction from it

bah007
11-30-2007, 04:28 PM
This is in the non-sports Spin Zone if you want to read reaction from it

Touche. My bad.

HoustonFrog
11-30-2007, 05:05 PM
Touche. My bad.

No big deal I was just trying to point you towards where I saw it.:)

GuerillaBlack
11-30-2007, 07:12 PM
This made me smile:

http://x8e.xanga.com/724d443610c3349631943/b16323914.gif

The Dallas player flinched.

STEEL BLUE TEXANS
11-30-2007, 10:30 PM
Four arrested in Taylor case; police anticipate 'murder, burglary' charges

MIAMI -- The Miami-Dade Police Department arrested four people Friday in connection with the shooting death of Washington Redskins star Sean Taylor.

Police spokeswoman Linda O'Brien identified the men as: Venjah K. Hunte, 20; Eric Rivera Jr., 17; Jason Scott Mitchell, 17; and Charles Kendrick Lee Wardlow, 18. O'Brien said the charges for each had not yet been determined, but "we are talking murder and burglary."

The four men were arrested Friday in southwest Florida, about 100 miles from Miami. They will be booked into the Lee County Jail and eventually will be returned to Miami, she said. O'Brien did not have any information on when they would appear in court or if they had attorneys.

Taylor died Tuesday, one day after being shot at his home in an affluent Miami suburb during what officials said appeared to be an attempted burglary. The suspects weren't expecting Taylor to be home, police director Robert Parker said, but Taylor was recuperating from a knee injury and had returned to Miami from Washington.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3135855

The1ApplePie
12-01-2007, 01:18 PM
Wow, turns out the simple answer was the right one.

Orincess Diana was killed in a car crash
Benoit went crazy because of brain damage
Sean Taylor got killed in a botched robbery

Sometimes, I don't think people can accept that celebs can die in mundane ways, and there has to be a conspiracy

TheIronDuke
12-01-2007, 05:05 PM
Here's some MySpace pictures of the killers, may they rot in hell.

http://www.mixmakers.net/sports/myspace-pictures-of-sean-taylors-killers.html

jerek
12-02-2007, 10:19 AM
I really like the way Mitch Albom presented his views in Outside the Lines this morning. More and more he is one my favorite sports writers/commentators.

His comments were to the effect that people need to wait to issue judgment on this one way or the other. It was a horrible crime but there is no way the media or fans can have the information they need to know what or why really took place. Twenty-four hours, even a week after the crime, we lack so much data.

He pointed to the Duke lacrosse rape case and Len Bias as examples and argued that more often than not, the real facts won't be made available until long after the crime. As tragic as the Sean Taylor murder is, I can't help but feel the same way--no way I can know what has really happened or what role Taylor did or didn't have in it.

StarStruck
12-02-2007, 12:01 PM
I really like the way Mitch Albom presented his views in Outside the Lines this morning. More and more he is one my favorite sports writers/commentators.

His comments were to the effect that people need to wait to issue judgment on this one way or the other. It was a horrible crime but there is no way the media or fans can have the information they need to know what or why really took place. Twenty-four hours, even a week after the crime, we lack so much data.

He pointed to the Duke lacrosse rape case and Len Bias as examples and argued that more often than not, the real facts won't be made available until long after the crime. As tragic as the Sean Taylor murder is, I can't help but feel the same way--no way I can know what has really happened or what role Taylor did or didn't have in it.

I hate that I missed that, and I couldn't agree more. Some of my friends once nicknamed me Benefit of the Doubt. However, I have never regretted the extra time to know the facts before offering an opinion. Too many times, things just aren't as they seem.

GuerillaBlack
12-02-2007, 02:38 PM
The Redskins did in fact go out with 10 players on the first defensive play today.

GlassHalfFull
12-05-2007, 10:33 AM
MJD of the DeBriefing had this to say today (http://sports.aol.com/fanhouse/2007/12/05/the-debriefing-maybe-i-shouldnt-have-been-surprised-by-sean-ta/#cont). He is normally a very funny read, but at other times he can be incredibly insightful. This is one of those times IMO.

There are those in the media who want to use the murder of Sean Taylor as a reason to talk about all the things wrong with young black people in America ... and sure, I guess there's room to do that. As it turns out, it just doesn't have anything to do with Sean Taylor.

I know we've been down this road before, and I don't want to again get into the fact that Taylor didn't know these people, he was at home, in bed early, and did nothing to bring any of this upon himself.

But, if in the wake of Taylor's death, we insist on talking about young black victims who couldn't shake a way of life, who made some bad decisions, and had some really bad friends, we can certainly do that. But we won't be talking about Sean Taylor ... we'll be talking about the people suspected of killing him.

(Also on Today's List: A brief and non-comprehensive ranking of the best ways for a sports league to determine their champion ... the Tigers seem to have done well for themselves in this Cabrera/Willis trade ... I'm a system quarterback, you're a system quarterback, everyone's a system quarterback ... and OJ Mayo was able to hold of OJ Mayobury for about 37 minutes last night...)

Seventeen-year-old Eric Rivera, 19-year-old Jason Scott Mitchell, 18-year-old Charles Kendrick Lee Wardlow, and 20-year-old Venjah K. Hunte were indicted yesterday by a grand jury in connection with the shooting death of Sean Taylor. Rivera was identified in the indictment as the triggerman. Mitchell, Wardlow, and Hunte are all being held on suicide watch.

Innocent until proven guilty and everything, but ... geez. Seventeen years old. Accused of pulling the trigger and killing a man. That's a tragedy in and of its own.

I used the word "victims" above, and that wasn't a typo. Please don't confuse this with my having sympathy for these guys, making excuses for them, or hoping for any leniency in the court system. If they're proven guilty of killing Sean Taylor in cold blood, I'm more than OK with anything the court wants to do to them.

I'm just shaken by the fact that the suspects are so young, and on suicide watch. There they were today, scared out of their minds and wearing odd-looking garments designed to prevent them from killing themselves ... that, to me, paints a picture of four kids who had mistaken Scarface for a way-of-life tutorial, wanted to play gangster, and didn't understand the consequences of what they were doing.

Someone got their hands on a gun, they broke into a rich guy's house, and very quickly, things got very real. Someone killed a man, and now, evidently, these young men want to kill themselves.

If you want to "not be surprised" that someone broke into Sean Taylor's house and killed him, that's fine. But the lack of surprise shouldn't be because Taylor somehow did something to bring this on himself ... the lack of surprise should surround the four young suspects, and that their lives had gone so wrong.

These are not the only young, foolish, trigger-happy young people out there. We've got a lot of them in the United States. It's way too easy for a young person to get to that point.

We've got a lot of guns on the streets. We've got too many young people who are introduced to crime as a way of life. We've got too many people in poverty-stricken, crime-ridden neighborhoods that are so full of hopelessness that there's not even a window to a better life. We've got too many parents and adults that neglect or misguide a child so frequently and so harshly that he ends up as a teenager in Sean Taylor's living room, holding a loaded gun. We've got a society that, with the right combination of the wrong circumstances, provides access to this life for young people way too easily.

That Sean Taylor was killed in his own home came as a surprise to me. That there are four young people out there who got so lost, and got involved in something so violent, so senseless, and so tragic ... unfortunately, no, that doesn't surprise me.

powerfuldragon
12-05-2007, 11:56 AM
The Redskins did in fact go out with 10 players on the first defensive play today.
nice.