PDA

View Full Version : It's official: Sherman HC at Texas A&M

DerekLee1
11-26-2007, 06:52 AM
Let me be the first to thank the Aggies for taking that problem off of our hands. Now if only someone would get rid of Richard Smith for us...

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/chronicle/5328187.html

Mr. White
11-26-2007, 06:56 AM
Maybe he'll take Richard Smith with him.

benefactor
11-26-2007, 06:59 AM
...and the Hallelujah Chorus rings through H-Town.

texanfan2002114
11-26-2007, 07:03 AM
I am happy he is leaving but from my understanding, Kyle Shanahan will be the new OC next year and I am not really sure how I feel having a 28 year old OC.

"If Mike Sherman leaves the Texans for the Aggies, the natural progression would have quarterbacks coach Kyle Shanahan becoming the offensive coordinator."

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/college/texasam/5326453.html

Silver Oak
11-26-2007, 07:26 AM
I am happy he is leaving but from my understanding, Kyle Shanahan will be the new OC next year and I am not really sure how I feel having a 28 year old OC.

"If Mike Sherman leaves the Texans for the Aggies, the natural progression would have quarterbacks coach Kyle Shanahan becoming the offensive coordinator."

age discrimination rears its ugly head once again. :splits:

Twitch-Houston
11-26-2007, 07:41 AM
I am not really sure how I feel having a 28 year old OC.

Maybe Shanahan will bring some innovation. We've got the weapons to be a little more creative. The Pats put Seau in at fullback and the fullback at tailback. They ran a screen with Welker etc. Mix it up a little.

powerfuldragon
11-26-2007, 08:03 AM
good for the aggies. best of luck to them.

CloakNNNdagger
11-26-2007, 08:04 AM
At least now the Texans can get rid of their ridiculous "hybrid" running game and develop their own identity.

whiskeyrbl
11-26-2007, 08:36 AM
Anyone interested in the Texans to talk to Charlie Weiss for the OC job? Maybe the Irish want him out.

tulexan
11-26-2007, 08:37 AM
This is great news for the Texans. Maybe we can finally see some of that zone blocking system that we have been promised.

Marcus
11-26-2007, 08:48 AM
LOL at all of you who actually think that Mike Sherman was the reason why the team is not playing well.

Not surprised though.

Vinny
11-26-2007, 08:51 AM
This is great news for the Texans. Maybe we can finally see some of that zone blocking system that we have been promised.
Where have you been? We've seen it for years now and this year was the first year we strayed from it in a bit.

HOU-TEX
11-26-2007, 08:57 AM
Where have you been? We've seen it for years now and this year was the first year we strayed from it in a bit.

Maybe he should've worded it a little different. Something like, maybe Kubiak can get back to coaching the way he's coached the previous 15+ years.

IMO, I think the change to our offensive scheme was a way for Kubiak to keep Sherman around while he learned what it takes to be a head coach in the NFL.

:texflag:

Vinny
11-26-2007, 09:01 AM
Maybe he should've worded it a little different. Something like, maybe Kubiak can get back to coaching the way he's coached the previous 15+ years.

IMO, I think the change to our offensive scheme was a way for Kubiak to keep Sherman around while he learned what it takes to be a head coach in the NFL.

:texflag:Gotta love learning on the job at the expense of the fan base. How long will it take Shanahan to learn to be an OC? How long will this team keep selling out the stadium?

SheTexan
11-26-2007, 09:02 AM

Geeeeeezzzzzz!! From the frying pan into the fire!! Kyle Shanahan has done NOTHING to prove himself worthy of the OC position, IMO!! MS has gone from good to bad in a very short period of time. Whose fault is that?? Everyone on this board has been singing MSs praises since the get-go. NOW that he's faultering, whose to take the blame? Matt, Kyle, or Gary K?? For gawds sake, get rid of the Denver connection and get someone with SOUND experience!

alphajoker
11-26-2007, 09:03 AM

You know, I thought the same thing too. Keeping Sherman as OC gave Kubiak the tutelage to help him start his new career as a head coach.

b0ng
11-26-2007, 09:06 AM
How long will this team keep selling out the stadium?

Hopefully forever. I really don't feel like going through the horror that is losing yet another NFL franchise and being forced to root for a team that I will never be able to watch live.

I suppose the offense is both Sherman and Kubiak's vision, and that now half of that vision is gone. I really would've liked Smith to go to TAMU than Sherman, as our offense is obviously leaps and bounds better than the offense of last year. Either way, good luck in College Station Sherman. You'll always have a homefield advantage playing in Kyle Field.

Vinny
11-26-2007, 09:11 AM
Hopefully forever. I really don't feel like going through the horror that is losing yet another NFL franchise and being forced to root for a team that I will never be able to watch live.

I suppose the offense is both Sherman and Kubiak's vision, and that now half of that vision is gone. I really would've liked Smith to go to TAMU than Sherman, as our offense is obviously leaps and bounds better than the offense of last year. Either way, good luck in College Station Sherman. You'll always have a homefield advantage playing in Kyle Field.I don't think we will lose the team in any shape or form but when I go to the Saints game and 1/4 of the fans are in Gold and Black....it makes me wonder how long this franchise will keep selling out games going forward.

tulexan
11-26-2007, 09:20 AM

Exactly. I realize that Capers was attempting to run the zone blocking system during his tenure in Houston, but when signing Kubiak one of the things that we kept on hearing was how he was bringing the Denver system with him. Ever since Sherman has been here, we have been running a mix of Green Bay and Houston but unfortunately those two styles are completely different and in my opinion have been hindering the offense.

I know that Sherman leaving isn't going to solve all of the problems, Richard Smith would solve a lot more, but Sherman leaving will make this offense run much smoother.

Honoring Earl 34
11-26-2007, 09:33 AM
Maybe they can hire a New England coach . I would'nt mind some Patriot castoffs .

dalemurphy
11-26-2007, 09:34 AM
Gotta love learning on the job at the expense of the fan base. How long will it take Shanahan to learn to be an OC? How long will this team keep selling out the stadium?

Probably as long as you can get a good seat for $34 a game. That's a hell of a deal, even for a team that only wins 4 home games. I certainly got my $34 worth against Tennessee last month.

Vinny
11-26-2007, 09:35 AM
Probably as long as you can get a good seat for $34 a game. That's a hell of a deal, even for a team that only wins 4 home games. I certainly got my $34 worth against Tennessee last month.
So did all those Saints fans....It was almost like I saw more Saints gear than Texans gear at the stadium last week.

nunusguy
11-26-2007, 09:35 AM
I don't think we will lose the team in any shape or form but when I go to the Saints game and 1/4 of the fans are in Gold and Black....it makes me wonder how long this franchise will keep selling out games going forward.
After going 2-14 year before last, then passing on VY (and little Reggie),
then keeping David Carr and then still selling out again last year and this year, I don't think we have to sweat blackouts. In other words, I dunno how
it could get worse than the stretch I just described which is in the rear-view mirror ?

HOU-TEX
11-26-2007, 09:38 AM
Gotta love learning on the job at the expense of the fan base. How long will it take Shanahan to learn to be an OC? How long will this team keep selling out the stadium?

Well, anyone starting a new job has to have the "hands on" training in order to become acclimated to the position. I don't really mind the on the job training as long as we're building the team at the same time.

I mean honestly, who realistically thought we'd be in the playoffs this year? I sure didn't. Kubiak doesn't have the personel he wants yet. Rick Smith said as much before the season started. Now that we're clearing dead cap space we can bring in respectable talent rather than the patch fillers.

Only time will tell, but I think we're moving in the right direction. Maybe not at the rate some will like, but we are moving.

Vinny
11-26-2007, 09:39 AM
After going 2-14 year before last, then passing on VY (and little Reggie),
then keeping David Carr and then still selling out again last year and this year, I don't think we have to sweat blackouts. In other words, I dunno how
it could get worse than the stretch I just described which is in the rear-view mirror ?Blackouts don't happen overnight. No way we would see them in the first years and when the regime changed the fans were not in the mood to stay home when the team finally admitted they were the Emperor's New Clothes Regime. I'm not so confident that the fans are going to continue to be patient enough to fill a 70k stadium endlessly if we can't ever make a playoff run. It was still shocking to see that much Saints gear on so many fans last week....it was revealing.

Vinny
11-26-2007, 09:41 AM
Well, anyone starting a new job has to have the "hands on" training in order to become acclimated to the position. I don't really mind the on the job training as long as we're building the team at the same time.

I mean honestly, who realistically thought we'd be in the playoffs this year? I sure didn't. Kubiak doesn't have the personel he wants yet. Rick Smith said as much before the season started. Now that we're clearing dead cap space we can bring in respectable talent rather than the patch fillers.

Only time will tell, but I think we're moving in the right direction. Maybe not at the rate some will like, but we are moving.

:texflag:Parcells took a 3 win Giants team to the Super Bowl in 3 years...so did Jimmy Johnson with the Cowboys. I guess our 10 year plan is on course.

bigbrewster2000
11-26-2007, 09:51 AM
Parcells took a 3 win Giants team to the Super Bowl in 3 years...so did Jimmy Johnson with the Cowboys. I guess our 10 year plan is on course.

Well Kubiak's 3rd season is next year so I guess I will see you in the Super Bowl Vinny.:shades:

TEXANRED
11-26-2007, 09:54 AM
Thank the Baby Jesus!

LOL at all of you who actually think that Mike Sherman was the reason why the team is not playing well.

Not surprised though.

When we first hired Sherman there were a lot of Packer fans who said that while Sherman was a good line coach but not a very good HC and his talent evaluation stunk.

I wonder how much we would have to pay Flannagen to leave with him?

nunusguy
11-26-2007, 09:55 AM
Blackouts don't happen overnight. No way we would see them in the first years and when the regime changed the fans were not in the mood to stay home when the team finally admitted they were the Emperor's New Clothes Regime. I'm not so confident that the fans are going to continue to be patient enough to fill a 70k stadium endlessly if we can't ever make a playoff run. It was still shocking to see that much Saints gear on so many fans last week....it was revealing.
We are not now in the "first years" of the existance of the franchise, we're in the "sixth year". The franchise is not brand spanking new anymore. And we still are selling out. Granted, the same spirit is not there as was in the "first years" of the the team (to turn your argument around), and many fans are probably jaded by now as you say. But this is till Texas, and Houston is a 4-5
million metro area. Its football. NFL football.
And wouldn't we expect to see a lot of fans from the other 2 NFL teams in the region when their team is in Reliant ?
Now if we spiral downward again, 2 or 3 win seasons, that's a totally different scenario which could have a hugely adverse effect upon attendance
and season-ticket sales.

HOU-TEX
11-26-2007, 09:55 AM
Parcells took a 3 win Giants team to the Super Bowl in 3 years...so did Jimmy Johnson with the Cowboys. I guess our 10 year plan is on course.

Touche', point taken. Riddle me this though. What was the talent level compared to what Capers & Co left us? We've had mediocre players from the beginning with the exception of a few. What's the percentage of ex-Texans becoming starters for a different team? Without doing a search I'd reckon it's pretty low.

Rick Smith has done well with what he was given to deal with. We'll see what he can do with a little cap room to play with. :cool:

Hottoddie
11-26-2007, 09:57 AM
I forget what station I heard it on, but one sportscaster stated that his sources said Johnny Holland will follow Sherman as his defensive coordinator.

So, I guess we'll be needing a new linebackers coach as well.

Vinny
11-26-2007, 09:58 AM
Touche', point taken. Riddle me this though. What was the talent level compared to what Capers & Co left us? We've had mediocre players from the beginning with the exception of a few. What's the percentage of ex-Texans becoming starters for a different team? Without doing a search I'd reckon it's pretty low.

Rick Smith has done well with what he was given to deal with. We'll see what he can do with a little cap room to play with. :cool:I donno, but if the expansion Browns can make the playoffs in year 4 with a worse expansion draft and initial draft than we had, we should be able to make the playoffs in our first decade I figure.

TEXANRED
11-26-2007, 10:01 AM

I mean honestly, who realistically thought we'd be in the playoffs this year?

(Raises hand)

sure didn't. Kubiak doesn't have the personel he wants yet. Rick Smith said as much before the season started. Now that we're clearing dead cap space we can bring in respectable talent rather than the patch fillers.

That is a slippery slope that this team has been down and are still paying for.

Look at what San Fran did this past off season, and look at how great they are.

The only two that I would like us to take a look at in FA is Samuel and Briggs then cut off the FA spending.

Throwing money at a problem does not solve any problems......Isnt that right Washington?

Marcus
11-26-2007, 10:01 AM
Do you all remember back when the Texans' W-L was 2-0, and and everyone was all giddy, waiting in line to buy Super Bowl tickets and all that??

And at the same, both Kubes and Smith were saying, (repeatedly) that we are still a couple of drafts away from being a good football team??

Do you all remember that? Guess not.

TEXANRED
11-26-2007, 10:05 AM
Blackouts don't happen overnight. No way we would see them in the first years and when the regime changed the fans were not in the mood to stay home when the team finally admitted they were the Emperor's New Clothes Regime. I'm not so confident that the fans are going to continue to be patient enough to fill a 70k stadium endlessly if we can't ever make a playoff run. It was still shocking to see that much Saints gear on so many fans last week....it was revealing.

Its not that shocking, even when the Oilers were here it was like that, Steelers, Browns, Cinci, KC, virtually every team we play had a large following. Its Houston, this is the town were no one is from here, everyone is from somewhere else.

Maybe not a quarters worth but still a good amount of other teams fans.

Vinny
11-26-2007, 10:08 AM
I was here then too (I'm 43)....I just wasn't expecting that many Saints fans. I just thought our fans had more of a chunk of the season tickets.

TEXANRED
11-26-2007, 10:12 AM
I was here then too (I'm 43)....I just wasn't expecting that many Saints fans. I just thought our fans had more of a chunk of the season tickets.
I think a lot of our season ticket holders only bought them for profit and sell them to the highest bidder.

My guess is there are not as many die hard fan season ticket holders as you would imagine.

Like myself, I cant afford season tickets so I usually go to ebay.

HOU-TEX
11-26-2007, 10:13 AM
(Raises hand)

That is a slippery slope that this team has been down and are still paying for.

Look at what San Fran did this past off season, and look at how great they are.

The only two that I would like us to take a look at in FA is Samuel and Briggs then cut off the FA spending.

Throwing money at a problem does not solve any problems......Isnt that right Washington?

I was more or less speaking of the ability Rick Smith has shown in evaluating talent with limited room to deal with. Now that he might have a little more room to wiggle in I would assume the talent level would increase as well.

IMO, Smith has been a god compared to our previous GM.:)

dalemurphy
11-26-2007, 10:13 AM
I donno, but if the expansion Browns can make the playoffs in year 4 with a worse expansion draft and initial draft than we had, we should be able to make the playoffs in our first decade I figure.

If we haven't made the playoffs by 2012, I may be as bitter as many of you are already. I was bitter in 2005. Right now, I'm a little disappointed but feeling quite hopeful. Why don't others feel that way?

Vinny
11-26-2007, 10:15 AM
If we haven't made the playoffs by 2012, I may be as bitter as many of you are already. I was bitter in 2005. Right now, I'm a little disappointed but feeling quite hopeful. Why don't others feel that way?If you are going to wait till 2012 till you give a darn about our record then God bless you my Son....I enjoy the NFL so I'm not bitter. I just wish my local team was a better product.

RTP2110
11-26-2007, 10:17 AM
So the offense played like garbage, and the same day Sherman gets a new job. i guess I know where his mind was.

nunusguy
11-26-2007, 10:25 AM
I'm a little disappointed but feeling quite hopeful. Why don't others feel that way?
I'm with you. I was not supportive of Kubiak earlier in the year, but with all the injuries (I know all teams have injuries), we've had and then losing D-Rob we've got to be patient with Kubiak. These have been very significant injuries covering a substantical portion or the entire season to key players.

b0ng
11-26-2007, 10:37 AM
I don't think we will lose the team in any shape or form but when I go to the Saints game and 1/4 of the fans are in Gold and Black....it makes me wonder how long this franchise will keep selling out games going forward.

Well I think everybody knows why the Saints game was sold out before all of the other games on the schedule, and right now I think it's just indicative of the make-up of the population we have in Houston more than anything.

It's seeing people at Titans games sporting Young jerseys that really bugs me. But I think that the stadium is nice enough that the city of Houston will do all it can to make sure that at least the Texans are there for awhile. If I were living in Jacksonville I'd be a lot more worried about sellouts and teams moving really.

Didn't we sell out all of the games we played when we went 2-14? Were any of them subject to blackout?

powerfuldragon
11-26-2007, 10:46 AM
It was still shocking to see that much Saints gear on so many fans last week....it was revealing.

... residual katrinites?

HoustonFrog
11-26-2007, 10:50 AM
I think this was a weak hire by A&M. I fully expected them to bring in the salesman that could get people believing. Sherman makes Fran look like Jim Wacker.

The1ApplePie
11-26-2007, 10:54 AM
All the games are sold out because of scalpers.

I saw plenty of empty seats at the Saints game.

You notice they go by "Tickets Sold" not "Asses in Seats"

Vinny
11-26-2007, 10:58 AM
Didn't we sell out all of the games we played when we went 2-14? Were any of them subject to blackout?no...many were blacked out and it was an ongoing problem till the team had it's 7 year playoff run in the Mike Holovak era. As a youngster I only got to see the team in our white jersies if my Father couldn't take me to games....Us local Houston kids never saw the team in our home blue.

Texan_Bill
11-26-2007, 11:15 AM
....Us local Houston kids never saw the team in our home blue.

Yes we did... Section 430 (and sometimes, the temp. seating in the end zone) :whip:

Vinny
11-26-2007, 11:23 AM
no...many were blacked out and it was an ongoing problem till the team had it's 7 year playoff run in the Mike Holovak era. As a youngster I only got to see the team in our white jersies if my Father couldn't take me to games....Us local Houston kids never saw the team in our home blue.

Yes we did... Section 430 (and sometimes, the temp. seating in the end zone) :whip: read the bold. Fact is that we never got to see the home team on TV back then and as a kid there wasn't much we could do about it other than to listen to 740am

Second Honeymoon
11-26-2007, 11:35 AM
i am not as happy as some of yall about this development as a Texans fan.

i have been moderately happy about the offense this year. too many turnovers and stupid mistakes but it has been night and day from the first 5 years of our franchise. Much more effective and explosive. Lacks consistency but we should be able to improve that.

however, as a Longhorn i am happy about this signing. Sherman is not the home run candidate that A&M needed to turn their program around. He just isn't going to wow anyone in regards to recruiting and he will probably struggle adjusting to the college game. i was worried that A&M would get Spurrier or Tubberville or Terry Bowden. those guys would have had a good shot at turning things around.

tulexan
11-26-2007, 11:38 AM
no...many were blacked out and it was an ongoing problem till the team had it's 7 year playoff run in the Mike Holovak era. As a youngster I only got to see the team in our white jersies if my Father couldn't take me to games....Us local Houston kids never saw the team in our home blue.

I think he was talking about the 2005 season

Texan_Bill
11-26-2007, 11:38 AM
read the bold. Fact is that we never got to see the home team on TV back then and as a kid there wasn't much we could do about it other than to listen to 740am

I read that part, but it didn't work with me working in our family's season tickets... Thus, I only quoted the part that I did.

But thanks for taking things so seriously...

Vinny
11-26-2007, 11:41 AM
I read that part, but it didn't work with me working in our family's season tickets... Thus, I only quoted the part that I did.

But thanks for taking things so seriously...I'm just relaying my fan experience as a child in Houston. You can assume what my state of mind is, but you are just guessing that I take you seriously at all thankyouverymuch.

Brando
11-26-2007, 11:41 AM
read the bold. Fact is that we never got to see the home team on TV back then and as a kid there wasn't much we could do about it other than to listen to 740am

Ah, the good ole days of Jerry Trupiano and Wally Lemm.

I think alot of the Saints gear was the same when the Oilers played here because of the driving distance. JJ also had alot of family members who were Saints fans. Add to the fact we have alot of New Orleans residents residing in Houston has to be another fact to consider.

TexansLucky13
11-26-2007, 11:42 AM

That's kindof silly V.... have you forgotten about Katrina? The reason they sold 70,000 tickets to that game is because many people left New Orleans and never went back.

It's the same principle as seeing VY jerseys in Reliant when the Titans are there. We all hate it, but that's just the way it is.

Vinny
11-26-2007, 11:45 AM
That's kindof silly V.... have you forgotten about Katrina? The reason they sold 70,000 tickets to that game is because many people left New Orleans and never went back.

It's the same principle as seeing VY jerseys in Reliant when the Titans are there. We all hate it, but that's just the way it is.Katrina displaced homeless and welfare folks. Those guys don't get to many NFL games. I don't think it's all that silly of me to expect the stadium to be filled with Texans gear and be a bit shocked at how much Saints gear was all around me.

TexansLucky13
11-26-2007, 11:46 AM
Katrina displaced homeless and welfare folks. Those guys don't get to many NFL games. I don't think it's all that silly of me to expect the stadium to be filled with Texans gear and be a bit shocked at how much Saints gear was all around me.

I wasn't shocked at all when I was at the game. Many of those people have had time to get on their feet and get jobs since the hurricane. Considering the success of the Saints last season, I am not the least bit surprised that they would fork over 40-80 bucks to come see their team.

tulexan
11-26-2007, 11:47 AM
Katrina displaced homeless and welfare folks. Those guys don't get to many NFL games. I don't think it's all that silly of me to expect the stadium to be filled with Texans gear and be a bit shocked at how much Saints gear was all around me.

Katrina did not only displace homeless and people on welfare.

Vinny
11-26-2007, 11:48 AM
OK, you guys were not shocked...I get it. I think I'm done with this thread. carry on

cuppacoffee
11-26-2007, 11:49 AM
Maybe Shanahan will bring some innovation. We've got the weapons to be a little more creative. The Pats put Seau in at fullback and the fullback at tailback. They ran a screen with Welker etc. Mix it up a little.

I agree Twitch

I would not be opposed to letting Sherman leave now.

His priorities will definitely shift...:hmmm:

Give Shanny the next five games to see if he could handle the job next year.

Not much of an audition, but it should give us a hint..idonno:

Plus, I don't think too many Packer fans who visited this site gave Sherman a ringing endorsement. And Packer fans know football.

Packers doing pretty well without him.

:twocents:

:coffee:

TexansLucky13
11-26-2007, 11:49 AM
OK, you guys were not shocked...I get it. I think I'm done with this thread. carry on

After the VY disaster at Reliant, nothing surprises me. I apologize.

HOU-TEX
11-26-2007, 11:50 AM

I kind of expected the Saints fans to be out in force. I reckon it's similar to other teams in the NFL who play teams that are nearby with the exception of the teams that sellout years in advance. The Cards have fans from around the NFL too. I know, I know, poor example. :)

Brando
11-26-2007, 11:50 AM
Yes we did... Section 430 (and sometimes, the temp. seating in the end zone) :whip:

The temp seats,man they were easy to make some noise with.:cool:

I wouldn't mind having KS as OC. How old is Jason Garrett? Seems to be working out well for the Cowboys.

barrett
11-26-2007, 11:58 AM
I agree Twitch

I would not be opposed to letting Sherman leave now.

His priorities will definitely shift...:hmmmm

Sherman said in his press conference that he would stay with the Texans through the end of the season. He said that he has an obligation and he intends to honor it. He also said that he told Gary Kubiak that he would work even harder now to make sure that Kubiak knew that he was focused for the remainder of the season.

Dread-Head
11-26-2007, 12:02 PM
I thought you had to know something about football to be a head coach. :-/

Hottoddie
11-26-2007, 12:04 PM
...be a bit shocked at how much Saints gear was all around me.

I can't believe you guys are arguing about this.

It was perfectly obvious that those were not Saints fans. They were scabs hired by ESPN in a last ditch effort to save face on the Bush vs. Mario debate. :heh:

aj.
11-26-2007, 12:05 PM
It was still shocking to see that much Saints gear on so many fans last week....it was revealing.

It wasn't revealing to me because: a) I've seen it before -- early 80's when the Saints played in Houston under Bum and one other time...late 80's or early 90's under Mora - it was exactly the same deal. b) Reggie hype - it was the 25 wearer's first chance to strut in our faces ... for one quarter at least, c) half of New Orleans still lives here.

Play well and there's a strong demand for tickets in your home market (from the home team's fans). Don't play well and there isn't. Nothing revealing about that.

Katrina displaced homeless and welfare folks. Those guys don't get to many NFL games. .

Katrina displaced more people than what you saw on CNN. It wiped out the town of Slidell. That's where most of the people employed at NASA Stennis Space Center and Lockheed's Michoud Assembly Facility live. They are scientists, engineers, techicians, and their families not welfare folks. Many are still without homes.

Mr. White
11-26-2007, 12:05 PM
This is probably how the hiring went down. One of Bill Byrne's lackeys calls Kubes.

A&M: "Hi Gary, do you think you'd want to..."

GK: "No way in hell I'd work for Bill Byrne. That dumbass should have hired me when he had the chance. Mike will take any head coaching job. You guys should call him."

The rest is history now.

I think it's a decent hire. I think Sherman would probably be a better college head coach than a pro offensive guru.

As a Longhorn fan, Sherman doesn't give me nightmares the way Bob Stoops or even Ron Prince do. As a Texan fan, you bet your ass he gives me nightmares.

I see dead people. They all used to play for the Packers.....the horrah....

The Dude Abides
11-26-2007, 12:14 PM
This is probably how the hiring went down. One of Bill Byrne's lackeys calls Kubes.

A&M: "Hi Gary, do you think you'd want to..."

GK: "No way in hell I'd work for Bill Byrne. That dumbass should have hired me when he had the chance. Mike will take any head coaching job. You guys should call him."

The rest is history now.

I think it's a decent hire. I think Sherman would probably be a better college head coach than a pro offensive guru.

As a Longhorn fan, Sherman doesn't give me nightmares the way Bob Stoops or even Ron Prince do. As a Texan fan, you bet your ass he gives me nightmares.

I see dead people. They all used to play for the Packers.....the horrah....

Byrne didn't hire Fran.

Mr. White
11-26-2007, 12:16 PM
Byrne didn't hire Fran.

Oh. :lightning:

Goldensilence
11-26-2007, 12:38 PM
Wow. Win win for Some Texan fans.

A&M gets a coach that doesn't scare many longhorn fans... I just don't know if the guy can really recruit. Big bonus for Brown, Stopps in OK, and If Miles stays at LSU.

Sorry Aggie Fans might work out... I dunno kind of Reeks of the Bill Callahan hiring at Nebraska.

AS for the Texans.....BIG WIN i think. I think it's more of a identity crisis on the offensive line and this hiring might clear it up some. I still really think Sherman's winning record was more indicative of talent left from the Ron Wolfe Era. I'm still not 100% sure this means an immediate promotion to OC for Kyle. There should be an interesting pool after the season though. Billick from Baltimore might be looking for a new job, Caldwell from the Colts might be looking to a promotion(how sweet it would be to take a a piece of the Colts machine and use it), and ther eare probably others i am forgetting. I'm not naive enough to think Sherman has been the ONLY problems but i do think i'ts a piece aside from injuries and overall lack superior talent on this team.

I wouldn't mind Seeing Smith gone and I think Rivera wouldn't mind getting out of San Diego but of course most of this is premature an'd i'm sure the loss to Cleveland has left some bitter taste in some people's mouths. Whomever gets the hire or unless Kubiak deceides to fully take over at OC the important thing is for this offense to form an identity. If run to open the pass is it...then we need to make RB a priority this draft or off-season.

There is still Football left to play this year. Left not jump overboard yet.

TEXANRED
11-26-2007, 01:12 PM

This is the truth, I listened to many a game on A.M. radio.

Second Honeymoon
11-26-2007, 01:18 PM
Wow. Win win for Some Texan fans.

A&M gets a coach that doesn't scare many longhorn fans... I just don't know if the guy can really recruit. Big bonus for Brown, Stopps in OK, and If Miles stays at LSU.

Sorry Aggie Fans might work out... I dunno kind of Reeks of the Bill Callahan hiring at Nebraska.

AS for the Texans.....BIG WIN i think. I think it's more of a identity crisis on the offensive line and this hiring might clear it up some. I still really think Sherman's winning record was more indicative of talent left from the Ron Wolfe Era. I'm still not 100% sure this means an immediate promotion to OC for Kyle. There should be an interesting pool after the season though. Billick from Baltimore might be looking for a new job, Caldwell from the Colts might be looking to a promotion(how sweet it would be to take a a piece of the Colts machine and use it), and ther eare probably others i am forgetting. I'm not naive enough to think Sherman has been the ONLY problems but i do think i'ts a piece aside from injuries and overall lack superior talent on this team.

I wouldn't mind Seeing Smith gone and I think Rivera wouldn't mind getting out of San Diego but of course most of this is premature an'd i'm sure the loss to Cleveland has left some bitter taste in some people's mouths. Whomever gets the hire or unless Kubiak deceides to fully take over at OC the important thing is for this offense to form an identity. If run to open the pass is it...then we need to make RB a priority this draft or off-season.

There is still Football left to play this year. Left not jump overboard yet.

I would love for the Texans to find a way to secure Rivera as DC. Billick is defnitely qualified to be OC and would be highly motivated but his ego is such that I am not sure he will take an OC job. He will probably wait to be hired by another team as HC and if that doesnt happen could probably get a college job, no problem at all. We do need new coordinators now, on both sides of the ball.

Gary and Sherm have done a decent job with the offense, but there is no doubt we need new blood in our defensive coaching staff....and now with the hiring of Sherman by Aggieland we have to find an OC that can keep our offense progressing as it has this year. If we can find a way to limit our turnovers the Texans would be a Top10 offense, for sure. The defense though is just lacking for a variety of reasons but coaching is the only one of those reasons that we can throw money at and try and improve its plight.

Second Honeymoon
11-26-2007, 01:22 PM
This is the truth, I listened to many a game on A.M. radio.

we used to have to drive about 10 miles north of Huntsville to this biker bar & grill off I-45 that had a satellite dish. they had some of the best breakfast burritos ever and they were far enough north of the Astrodome to get the Oilers legally over their old school satellite dish. There was a sports bar that will remain nameless here in the Woodlands that would get the game illegally off the dish but you couldn't count on it....so we just went ahead and headed north for the sure thing in the Huntsville area.

cuppacoffee
11-26-2007, 01:31 PM
Sherman said in his press conference that he would stay with the Texans through the end of the season. He said that he has an obligation and he intends to honor it. He also said that he told Gary Kubiak that he would work even harder now to make sure that Kubiak knew that he was focused for the remainder of the season.

I realize he is contractually obligated to stay.

Only stated that it might not be a bad idea to sever now and see what, if anything, Shanny could show in the next few games as coordinator.

Who out there is available to come here as coordinator next year?

WWJD
11-26-2007, 01:37 PM
I realize he is contractually obligated to stay.

Only stated that it might not be a bad idea to sever now and see what, if anything, Shanny could show in the next few games as coordinator.

Who out there is available to come here as coordinator next year?

The Texans are still alive for a wild card berth...I don't think they'd want to give the new guy a trial run just to be nice and let Sherman go.

Too much on the line.

If Norv Turner is fired in SD he's a very good OC! :)

powerfuldragon
11-26-2007, 01:39 PM
d'you think this was all planned out? like some kind of goofy Aggie brotherhood voodoo...

WWJD
11-26-2007, 01:45 PM
It may be a terrific hire for the Ags but I am VERY surprised they didn't go for one of the hot college guys out there.

This all went down very quickly.

Htownsportsfan
11-26-2007, 01:49 PM

So True! I have never really been a big fan of Randall's supermarkets but if it had not been for them buying up tickets to prevent blackouts we would have missed even more games.

tulexan
11-26-2007, 01:52 PM

That is not actually a bad idea. Barring the Chargers going deep in the playoffs (which is unlikely), Turner is going to be fired as Head Coach. We have a very attractive situation in Houston with Schaub and AJ, and if we get a good running back in the offseason and a lineman or two, we will have a potentially scary offense.

HOU-TEX
11-26-2007, 01:58 PM
Personally, I think it'd be better for Sherman to leave now rather than after the season. He could get started with his new team and the Texans can move on with Shanny Jr. I doubt Sherman would slack off the remainder of the season, but our playoff hopes are basically over (if they were ever a reality), so why not begin the off-season changes now? :texflag:

The Dude Abides
11-26-2007, 02:20 PM
As an Aggie, I'm very pleased about this hire. Tubberville would have been nice but not worth the 6 mill buyout plus his increase in salary. Plus, Sherman truly fits in well with the culture here at A&M. I'm curious to see who he adds as his coordinators and I wouldn't mind him bringing Hoke along with him to be our coordinator. Of course, Bob Davie wouldn't be bad either to man our d side of the ball.

Errant Hothy
11-26-2007, 02:55 PM
Sherman probably stays, but in name only me thinks. I expect, and kinda hope, that Kubiak and Kyle start to run the offense.

I cannot be the only one who is disappionted with the offense, espically given Kubiak's track record as an OC.

Specnatz
11-26-2007, 03:59 PM
Sherman probably stays, but in name only me thinks. I expect, and kinda hope, that Kubiak and Kyle start to run the offense.

I cannot be the only one who is disappionted with the offense, espically given Kubiak's track record as an OC.

Yesterday the play calling sucked the run worked well but when they did play action pass it was obvious and in the first quarter and a half the slant was working fine but for some reason theTexans went away from it and hardly ran it in the second half.

Between the defense being vanillia and the offense being predictable it is a wonder we have won 5 games so far.

Fox
11-26-2007, 04:40 PM
As an Aggie and as a Texans fan I'm really pleased with this development. I've always been very impressed with Mike Sherman and think he'll fit in very well at Texas A&M. Apparently quite a few people at A&M aren't pleased because they wanted to make a bigger splash and pull up a star quality coach from the college ranks, but I think once they get to know Sherman a little more and see what type of coach he is they'll change their tunes.

As a Texans fan I'm happy to see him receive this opportunity, and also happy because I think as others have said this will hopefully allow us to forge more of our own identity on offense rather than the hybrid system we were running.

Congrats to Mike Sherman, and here's to beating TU 3 years in a row next year!

DerekLee1
11-26-2007, 05:13 PM
I think a lot of our season ticket holders only bought them for profit and sell them to the highest bidder.

My guess is there are not as many die hard fan season ticket holders as you would imagine.

That's because all the ticket brokers snatched up huge chunks of PSL's. The Texans should NEVER have allowed that, but they probably didn't expect it. We're a brand new team (relatively speaking), and these agencies weren't as big way back when all of these other teams came into existence. The next-newest franchises (Cleveland, J-ville and Carolina) have the same problem, but nowhere near as bad as ours. (and Cleveland may have given previous Browns season ticket holders priority)

Bottom line, PSL's should have been for fans only, but from a business point of view, the organization could have cared less who "owned" them; they assume fans will fill them up regardless.

Ticket brokers are the devil.

Vinny
11-26-2007, 05:26 PM
Yesterday the play calling sucked the run worked well but when they did play action pass it was obvious and in the first quarter and a half the slant was working fine but for some reason theTexans went away from it and hardly ran it in the second half.

Between the defense being vanillia and the offense being predictable it is a wonder we have won 5 games so far.I'm pretty sure that Kubiak calls the plays.

DerekLee1
11-26-2007, 05:27 PM
I wouldn't mind having KS as OC. How old is Jason Garrett? Seems to be working out well for the Cowboys.

Agreed. Youth brings new blood, more energy, and fresh ideas. Give him a shot. He at least has the lineage. OR, make him an assistant OC while Kubiak redesigns the offense and plays HC/OC until Shanahan is ready.

Specnatz
11-26-2007, 06:07 PM
I'm pretty sure that Kubiak calls the plays.

That is what I thought to.

DerekLee1
11-26-2007, 06:15 PM
That is what I thought to.

From an older McClain blog:

Gary Kubiak calls the plays, and he's having a hard time understanding that the Texans running Dayne behind an offensive line that's average at run blocking just isn't going to cut it against eight- and nine-man fronts.

Tulip
11-26-2007, 08:29 PM
I thought I remembered that Sherman gives the play to Kubiak who then gives it to Schaub. I guess the effect would be to give Kubiak the option of changing the call.

Revolution
11-26-2007, 09:37 PM

While, I do not have a problem giving a young guy the reigns if he is qualified (I will have to trust Gary on this one), Kyle Shanahan is around 27 and Jason Garrett is 42, quite a difference.

NitroGSXR
11-26-2007, 10:26 PM
What ignorance!

What arrogance!

What disrespect!

What a snob!

I must say BOO, sir!

I know plenty of upper class refugees who lost it all. They stayed right here in Houston where they feel safer. You don't even factor in on just how poor New Orleans was before Katrina. Now that they have new jobs, better opportunities which translates into a larger household budget thus enabling them the rare luxury of being able to pay for a NFL football game. ESPECIALLY JUST THE ONE GAME THAT GIVES THEM A LITTLE FAMILIARY FROM THEIR HOME. They're here. Away from everything that they've worked for. They love their football team. They love the NFL. I'm fairly certain that they've hosted the Super Bowl more than any other stadium in the history of the NFL.

They got jobbed and you're snubbing your nose? Katrina displaced an entire town regardless of many low income families they may have had. They have plenty of people with deep pockets who are now living in Houston.

Neg rep for you. Just... the poorest post I've seen you make in the year and half that I've been a member on this board.

DerekLee1
11-26-2007, 10:45 PM
I'm fairly certain that they've hosted the Super Bowl more than any other stadium in the history of the NFL.

And that's puzzling. While I feel bad for the victims of Katrina, even before all that happened, I never understood the appeal of New Orleans to the NFL for Super Bowls and didn't agree with them "automatically" awarding them a SB after Katrina. It's basically, Miami, then city-with-a-new-stadium, then San Diego, then city-with-a-new-stadium, then Tampa, then city-with-a-new-stadium, and back to Miami to do it all over again. I just don't get it.

I also can say with pretty solid certainty that even though Houston put on a hell of a Super Bowl, we'll never see one again. It will go through the regular Miami-new stadium-New Orleans-San Diego rotation, but will add Dallas into the mix now that THEY have a new stadium. It blows.

Texans_Chick
11-27-2007, 08:19 AM
And that's puzzling. While I feel bad for the victims of Katrina, even before all that happened, I never understood the appeal of New Orleans to the NFL for Super Bowls and didn't agree with them "automatically" awarding them a SB after Katrina. It's basically, Miami, then city-with-a-new-stadium, then San Diego, then city-with-a-new-stadium, then Tampa, then city-with-a-new-stadium, and back to Miami to do it all over again. I just don't get it.

I also can say with pretty solid certainty that even though Houston put on a hell of a Super Bowl, we'll never see one again. It will go through the regular Miami-new stadium-New Orleans-San Diego rotation, but will add Dallas into the mix now that THEY have a new stadium. It blows.

New Orleans is great for centralized partying.

Personally, after going to Miami for a SB, I think all the SBs should be in Miami. The weather was gorgeous until the actual game, and even in the rain, it wasn't miserable because it wasn't cold out.

And the partying was awesome.

Basically, if your team isn't in it, you are mostly there for the partying and seeing people you know.

adam
11-27-2007, 04:13 PM
While I am glad to see Sherman go (because this "Denver Bay" scheme hasn't been working out so well), I am not sold on Kyle Shanahan. Is NO ONE else available? Have we already sunk to a 27 year old QB coach? It just seems to me that there would be better options. Believe it or not, we could do worse than Sherman and I'm not sure that we won't with such an inexperienced OC.

GP
11-27-2007, 04:25 PM
While I am glad to see Sherman go (because this "Denver Bay" scheme hasn't been working out so well), I am not sold on Kyle Shanahan. Is NO ONE else available? Have we already sunk to a 27 year old QB coach? It just seems to me that there would be better options. Believe it or not, we could do worse than Sherman and I'm not sure that we won't with such an inexperienced OC.

Hey, the Texans are all about simplicity.

No need to throw some bucks at a proven OC or DC.

Seriously, though...I would prefer Shanahan (the guy coaching the WRs right now) to be calling the plays over Sherman. I'd like to think that the guy is in tune with the pass game, which seems to be our best bet for winning games right now.

Wouldn't it seem logical that he's down there hearing the QB and the WRs vent about what they need to do...while Sherman sits up there and calls garbage for most of the game?

Vinny
11-27-2007, 10:58 PM
What ignorance!

What arrogance!

What disrespect!

What a snob!

I must say BOO, sir!

I know plenty of upper class refugees who lost it all. They stayed right here in Houston where they feel safer. You don't even factor in on just how poor New Orleans was before Katrina. Now that they have new jobs, better opportunities which translates into a larger household budget thus enabling them the rare luxury of being able to pay for a NFL football game. ESPECIALLY JUST THE ONE GAME THAT GIVES THEM A LITTLE FAMILIARY FROM THEIR HOME. They're here. Away from everything that they've worked for. They love their football team. They love the NFL. I'm fairly certain that they've hosted the Super Bowl more than any other stadium in the history of the NFL.

They got jobbed and you're snubbing your nose? Katrina displaced an entire town regardless of many low income families they may have had. They have plenty of people with deep pockets who are now living in Houston.

Neg rep for you. Just... the poorest post I've seen you make in the year and half that I've been a member on this board.
eh, it was one sentence that was not well thought out. Take a pill or something and relax...geesh.

painekiller
11-28-2007, 01:26 AM
Of course, Bob Davie wouldn't be bad either to man our d side of the ball.

That name has been bouncing in my head all season, and he would make sense with the going back to the old school coaches that teach pro techniques.

He could do worse than Bob Davies. And Bob is just doing TV right now, so he might be willing to get back to work.

painekiller
11-28-2007, 01:45 AM
Seriously, though...I would prefer Shanahan (the guy coaching the WRs right now) to be calling the plays over Sherman. I'd like to think that the guy is in tune with the pass game, which seems to be our best bet for winning games right now.

Kyle has been the QB coach since last January. He was made QB coach when Sherm was announced as OC.

painekiller
11-28-2007, 02:00 AM
The Texans are still alive for a wild card berth...I don't think they'd want to give the new guy a trial run just to be nice and let Sherman go.

Too much on the line.

I would think the only OC this team would hire that is currently not with the team is Rick Dennison. Kubiak tried to bring him hear to be the OL coach when he was hired here. Shanahan would not let Kubiak take him, thus made him OC/OL coach. Then he went out and hired Mike Heimerdinger as the Asst. HC of the offense to be the real OC.

So I could Dennison wanting to be a OC for real, and he would understand the ZBS the way Kubiak had wanted to run it.

BTW Turner is not a WCO guy and Kubiak is not going to hire a non WCO type. And yes Turner is a decent OC, and he sucks as a HC.

NitroGSXR
11-28-2007, 04:05 AM
eh, it was one sentence that was not well thought out. Take a pill or something and relax...geesh.
Thanks for the retalitation negative feedback. Much obliged.

Vinny
11-28-2007, 09:10 AM
Thanks for the retalitation negative feedback. Much obliged.I rarely give it (I tend to give positive rep even when I'm leaving negative comments acutally) but your hysterical neg rep/post was worth giving back. Don't give it if you can't take it I guess.

Brando
11-28-2007, 11:33 AM
While, I do not have a problem giving a young guy the reigns if he is qualified (I will have to trust Gary on this one), Kyle Shanahan is around 27 and Jason Garrett is 42, quite a difference.

I keep forgetting Kyle Shanahan is that young. Garrett in relative terms is still young.

HoustonFrog
11-28-2007, 11:43 AM

Agree. I've partied in N.O. twice. Once when I was rush chairman of my frat in college and once on a New Years. I always feel horrible and remember the smell of urine and trash in the streets. I've never had the urge to go back. Plus I hate the look of the Superdome. That is why I can't stand the Sugar Bowl. It is like playing a game in a Home Depot. Plastic, hard floors and bright lights. Top Bowl Games and Super Bowls should be on grass and the Super Bowls in Miami or San Diego every year.

Agreed. Plus Garrett pretty much apprenticed under Aikman and studies the game. A Princeton guy who was always the understudy. I just like his chops better.

NitroGSXR
11-29-2007, 09:20 AM
I rarely give it (I tend to give positive rep even when I'm leaving negative comments acutally) but your hysterical neg rep/post was worth giving back. Don't give it if you can't take it I guess.
Nah. Your asinine post about the victims of Katrina was well worth the price of a retalitory negative feedback from you. You rarely give it? I have a total of three negative reps and two are from you. Your retalitation just goes to show what you'll do when you don't think out your sentences.

Over the last month or so, your posts have shown more and more anger in them. Disinterest may be a better word but it's evident that there's been a change in your demeanor.

Awaiting my third negative rep from you. Maybe even a ban! You just might be petty enough. Whatever.

Carry on, sir.

:texan:
:fans:

b0ng
11-29-2007, 11:06 AM

The 2005 season Vinny. :)