PDA

View Full Version : Mike Sherman to Texas A&M?

adam
11-25-2007, 12:17 PM
I was just watching the pregame show, and they said that Mike Sherman may be taking up the job with Texas A&M. What would this mean for us at the Offensive Coordinator position?

adam
11-25-2007, 12:25 PM
http://www.statesman.com/sports/content/sports/stories/other/11/25/1125aggies.html

Here is the news article.

tulexan
11-25-2007, 12:26 PM
I hope this is true. I'm not a big Sherman fan.

False Start
11-25-2007, 12:26 PM
They were just talking about that on 610 . The fat man says if he takes the job , his thinking is that Kyle Shanahan will take over as offensive coordinator , then go to Denver in a couple of years as OC , and eventually take over his dad's position as head coach . Take that for what its worth , which is not much to me .

TheRealJoker
11-25-2007, 12:30 PM
I think either Sherman or Kubes have to go for our offense to reach their potential. I dont think that their styles mesh very well together but by themselves they are both proven styles of offense. Especially in the running game, you either play zone blocking or you dont. You cant do both.

b0ng
11-25-2007, 12:34 PM
While losing Sherman wouldn't concern me as much as losing Kubiak, I do think that it'll be enough of a change to notice, and that it might effect the play in the begininng of the season next season.

nunusguy
11-25-2007, 12:43 PM
I think either Sherman or Kubes have to go for our offense to reach their potential. I dont think that their styles mesh very well together but by themselves they are both proven styles of offense. Especially in the running game, you either play zone blocking or you dont. You cant do both.
Couldn't agree more. These hybrid systems end up being too much of a compromise of each approach to be effective & consistant IMO.
But I dunno why the Aggies are that interested in Sherman ? I love the Texans, but quite frankly doesn't that last line on his resume that reads "Houston Texans OC" tend to dampen any enthusiasm Aggie fans & alumni might otherwise have for him ?

adam
11-25-2007, 12:45 PM
Couldn't agree more. These hybrid systems end up being too much of a compromise of each approach to be effective & consistant IMO.
But I dunno why the Aggies are that interested in Sherman ? I love the Texans, but quite frankly doesn't that last line on his resume that reads "Houston Texans OC" tend to dampen any enthusiasm Aggie fans & alumni might otherwise have for him ?

I don't see why it would, seeing as how our offense has actually been fairly decent this season, considering all of the injuries and what not. Now, if this was Richard Smith trying to get a job, the last line on his resume would be very troubling.

Thorn
11-25-2007, 12:51 PM
I don't see why it would, seeing as how our offense has actually been fairly decent this season, considering all of the injuries and what not. Now, if this was Richard Smith trying to get a job, the last line on his resume would be very troubling.

Considering all the changes and injuries, I tend to agree. The offense has been doing fairly well. It's the defense that bothers me.

TexansLucky13
11-25-2007, 12:51 PM
I would rather have Tuberville....

Honoring Earl 34
11-25-2007, 01:02 PM
I would rather have Tuberville....

I would want a proven college coach .

You never know what Mike Sherman is like in a top prospects living room .

4Texans
11-25-2007, 06:06 PM
I wouldn't mind seeing Sherman go to A&M. He has some history there, and would be a good fit IMO. I would like too see Kubiak and Sherman cut their cord so we could see Kubiak's offense instead of the Denver - Green Bay offense. Sherman may be the Ags "Pete Carol", and unlike PC in the NFL, Sherman was a pretty good Head Coach at GB.

Buffi2
11-25-2007, 06:42 PM
I wouldn't mind seeing Sherman go to A&M. He has some history there, and would be a good fit IMO. I would like too see Kubiak and Sherman cut their cord so we could see Kubiak's offense instead of the Denver - Green Bay offense. .

I agree. I think it is time for Sherman to go and let Kubiak be on his own. The offensive "mesh" isn't working well, Kubiak has had time to learn from Sherman whatever there was to learn and the time has come for Sherman to move on.

HoustonFrog
11-25-2007, 06:47 PM
I think that would be a bad hire for A&M. They need a splash. That move is too safe and the guy hasn't proevn he can connect recruiting wise. I think they will be right back where they started and it would be ho-hum.

nut
11-25-2007, 06:48 PM
ggg

BSofA04
11-26-2007, 02:37 AM
Great news for Sherman and the Texans offense. The smart thing to do is to quit trying to run the hybrid nonsense and focus the offense on one system. That should start tommorrow, thankfully.

painekiller
11-26-2007, 03:12 AM
I think that would be a bad hire for A&M. They need a splash. That move is too safe and the guy hasn't proevn he can connect recruiting wise. I think they will be right back where they started and it would be ho-hum.

My fear exactly. Sherman has the old school alums convinced that he respects them and the traditions, a group that Fran never seemed to embrace.

And remember the assistant coaches do most of the heavy recruiting, and as such Sherman was involved heavily at A&M on two different occasions, and his recruits made it to the NFL, unlike most of the current coaching staffs guys. Plus he is very close to RC Slocum and that has helped him during this last year.

If he can assemble a pro filled coaching staff, and update the offense and install fear again with the defense he will be set for life with the Aggie faithful.

If not, an all to familiar song for my Aggies.

rollinstone18
11-26-2007, 04:02 AM
Sherman's departure would most likely solve the identity crisis that our offense is in. Whether that's a good thing will remain to be seen. Sherman sure as hell hasn't helped Kubiak with clock management or challenge stinginess, so I'm not sure it'd be a big loss. I'm actually anxious to see what our offense would be like if we were to convert entirely to the ZBS.