PDA

View Full Version : Just how good is Chris Long ?

nunusguy
11-24-2007, 12:26 PM
I've been watching the VT-Virgina game and VUs DE Chris Long, son of former
Raider & ESPN analyst Howie, has been getting a lot of hype. Then somebody
covering the game (sounded like AW), said he had "12 SACKS" for the year.
Anyway, I checked their website and sure enough, he's credited with 12 sacks. What's the big deal ? Hey these guys run a 3-4, and usually the downlineman in a 3-4 aren't sackers, but socalled "space-eaters" & 2-gappers
to free up the ILBs to handle the running plays and the OLBs to provide the pass rush. We learned all of that from the Capers days with his 3-4, right ?
How good would this guy be as a 4-3 DE ? And don't put it past the Texans to draft another downlinman ?

TexansSeminole
11-24-2007, 02:33 PM
This guy is the real deal. He is double teamed on almost every play. He never quits on plays. I think he is a better 3-4 DE than a 4-3 DE but he has so much talent that I think he could be successful with either. It's not just his sacks, he pressures the QB on almost every passing play, and plays well against the run.

I don't see the Texans showing any interest in him just because I don't see us drafting another D-lineman. However, if we did, I think he would end up being the best D-lineman that we would have drafted.

I am real high on this guy. He is just the real deal Holyfield.

threetoedpete
11-24-2007, 03:33 PM
I agree: He may slide a bit, but he'll definatly be a top fifteen guy. I believe the fact that everyone knows the pedigree, that has helped push him up the mockers boards. He's a good player. I don't know if he's speedy enough to be a Jarred Allen. I do believe he is in the top 15. I also don't believe he is a for sure lock to be as productive as Jarred Allen or as productive as his dad was.

V Man
11-24-2007, 07:32 PM
Question should be, if he is the best player on the board when the Texans pick, will they take him?