PDA

View Full Version : Darius Walker Activated

GuerillaBlack
11-21-2007, 07:02 AM
Per the NFL Network Ticker. This was said at the official boards, so don't know if it is true.

Hook'er
11-21-2007, 07:50 AM
I sure hope so, then we can see what Walker can do!

gwallaia
11-21-2007, 08:14 AM
Darius Walker, sounds like a good name for a running back. Let's see if he can live up to his name.

adam
11-21-2007, 08:42 AM
Interesting. To be honest, I think Dayne has earned the roll of permanent Ahman Green replacement for this season (in fact, I am in favor of putting Green on IR and giving Dayne the season). Why? We are a passing team. What that means is that all we really need out of our RB is the ability to hold on the ball (in 8 seasons, I think Dayne only has 5 or 6 fumbles), the ability to stay healthy (has he ever been hurt?), and the ability to put up about 60 or more yards. Dayne is good for all of this.

That said, Walker was a rather explosive back at Notre Dame and should be tested with a few series in our next game.

Errant Hothy
11-21-2007, 08:46 AM
So if Walker has been activated, whats the counter move? Craig Nall being released?

tulexan
11-21-2007, 08:46 AM
I'm interested in seeing him get some carries. He looked pretty good when given a chance during preseason.

adam
11-21-2007, 08:48 AM
So if Walker has been activated, whats the counter move? Craig Nall being released?

Probably. Didn't we just sign him as insurance for Sage while Schaub was injured?

IlliniJen
11-21-2007, 09:34 AM
Interesting. To be honest, I think Dayne has earned the roll of permanent Ahman Green replacement for this season (in fact, I am in favor of putting Green on IR and giving Dayne the season). Why? We are a passing team. What that means is that all we really need out of our RB is the ability to hold on the ball (in 8 seasons, I think Dayne only has 5 or 6 fumbles), the ability to stay healthy (has he ever been hurt?), and the ability to put up about 60 or more yards. Dayne is good for all of this.

That said, Walker was a rather explosive back at Notre Dame and should be tested with a few series in our next game.

I wouldn't mind seeing a RBBC approach. Certainly anyone not named "Lendale White" is faster than Ron Dayne, so mixing it up in the backfield would add a little more dimension to our game. I would also like to see what Echemandu can do, but for some reason, Kubes DOESN'T institute DEN's famous (and frustrating) RBBC approach, otherwise known as "who's going to start for the Broncos this week?" that we've seen in the past. Kubes can take DEN's cast-off players, but not the RB carousel?

I think the Texans NEED to see what Walker can do. Just imagine if he starts a couple games and shows us all something...wouldn't you rather have a RB right now rather than use a draft pick for one? I think it's silly if the Texans don't give him a try.

Specnatz
11-21-2007, 09:42 AM
I saw what Walker can do at ND, he will not have any big break out runs but he will not dance behind the line when you need one freakin yard either.

He can also catch out of the backfield and is not affraid to sick his nose in there on a blitz pickup, just do not expect blazing speed because he does not have that.

I am very interrested to see how Kubiak uses him.

Hardcore Texan
11-21-2007, 09:55 AM
I too am very interested in seeing what he can do and how Kubes uses him. Also, might be a good FF sleeper pick up?

Specnatz
11-21-2007, 09:58 AM
I too am very interested in seeing what he can do and how Kubes uses him. Also, might be a good FF sleeper pick up?

If you have a spot to burn I would consider it only (i do mean only) for his pass catching ability but that was while at ND and not in pro what worries me is the speed factor.

tulexan
11-21-2007, 10:08 AM
He's not a burner, but I think he is fast enough. He was the only player on ND who was doing anything against the fast LSU defense in the Sugar Bowl and he did seem to have some burst in the preseason.

Ole Miss Texan
11-21-2007, 10:30 AM
Shoot why not! Put 'em in...we're heading back up North.

dalonestartitan
11-21-2007, 10:58 AM
I sure hope so, then we can see what Walker can do!

I'm not a big fan of walker, I think his speed is pathetic. But lets see what he can do

Thorn
11-21-2007, 11:03 AM

I agree with what you said about Dayne. Frankly, unless the Texans deciede to invest in a real running back, I don't care if they start Bugs Bunny as long the ball carrier can block, not fumble, and get about 60 to 70 yards a game.

powerfuldragon
11-21-2007, 11:24 AM
Darius Walker, sounds like a good name for a running back. Let's see if he can live up to his name.

i think it's because of his last name. Walk all over defenses, blah blah, change his last name to runner blah blah. also easy to slander. (or would it be libel because it's typed?)

Specnatz
11-21-2007, 11:27 AM
I'm not a big fan of walker, I think his speed is pathetic. But lets see what he can do

But I think he is faster than Dayne.

2BCF
11-21-2007, 11:28 AM

Or a good name for a bad basketball player.

Hope he does well, we could use the help there.

PapaL
11-21-2007, 11:47 AM

*Disregard PD beat me to the punch*

I think Darius Runner would be slightly better.

Leahmic223
11-21-2007, 01:53 PM
I respect him because he's undrafted and seemingly never gave up. Did those wonderful wednesdays with a smile on his face even though he could be released the next day...

Also the guy is a Kubiak RB, he's going to just hit the hole and run...so if there are holes he will succeed. I don't think he's going to make nothing out of something, he's going to depend on our inconsistent run blocking.

Also I remember in pre-season where he lost his helmet...mid carry...and continued to go on and get like 4 extra yards...

But him being sgined means Green isn't playing this week most likely.

Andrew6
11-21-2007, 02:07 PM
I respect him because he's undrafted and seemingly never gave up. Did those wonderful wednesdays with a smile on his face even though he could be released the next day...

Also the guy is a Kubiak RB, he's going to just hit the hole and run...so if there are holes he will succeed. I don't think he's going to make nothing out of something, he's going to depend on our inconsistent run blocking.

Also I remember in pre-season where he lost his helmet...mid carry...and continued to go on and get like 4 extra yards...

But him being sgined means Green isn't playing this week most likely.

my god man have you seen D.W.'s forehead? He's more dangerous with out the helmet. Could you imagine if he hit someone with that. j/k . I did see that too in the game and thought I like that. Someone thats not afraid of getting those extra yards.

drewmar74
11-21-2007, 02:15 PM
DW doesn't have a forehead. It's so big he has a fivehead.

TEXANRED
11-21-2007, 04:03 PM

We could call him Walker Texans Ranger.

mexican_texan
11-21-2007, 04:31 PM
I was just thinking that when I heard the news.

SteelBlueToro
11-21-2007, 05:47 PM
I hope he is activated - let's see what he can do. As long as he doesn't fumble - he should get a few carries on Sunday.

Leahmic223
11-22-2007, 06:09 AM
We could call him Walker Texans Ranger.

Thats Good...but he has to earn that nickname. Give us a few good games and i'll start calling him that lol.

CloakNNNdagger
11-22-2007, 08:53 AM
Here's the confirmation (http://abclocal.go.com/ktrk/story?section=sports&id=5777996):

Texans sign RB Walker, release QB Nall

(11/21/07 - HOUSTON) - Up until this week, Darius Walker's biggest responsibility with the Texans involved taping a weekly video segment for the team Web site called "Wednesdays With Walker."

The former Notre Dame standout has a much more important job now after being signed to the active roster from the practice squad Wednesday.

With the health of Ahman Green unclear, the Texans signed Walker to add depth at running back. Quarterback Craig Nall was released to make room for Walker on the roster.

Walker joked about the pressure of handling both tasks.

"Two tough duties, very, very true," he said. "Just tough duties. We'll see how that goes and how that's going to work out, but I'm going to try to juggle both. See if I can multitask."

All joking aside, Walker is excited about his opportunity.

"It's a great feeling," he said. "Especially going from having to watch and not even dress to actually dressing and actually having an opportunity to get in the game. I know it's a big task, because they expect a lot out of me."

Walker had 1,267 yards rushing and seven touchdowns as a junior last season before declaring for the draft. He went undrafted and signed as a free agent with the Texans.

Coach Gary Kubiak was impressed with Walker's work on Wednesday in his first practice since being elevated to the roster.

"If Darius keeps working the way he practiced today, then we'll expect him to play this weekend," Kubiak said.

Kubiak said he didn't have an update on Green, who has been slowed for most of the season with a knee problem. He said the team is monitoring him to see if two weeks off will help his condition.

Ron Dayne will start as long as Green is out and the Texans also have Adimchinobi Echemandu, who is also a former practice squad player.

nunusguy
11-22-2007, 09:12 AM
I'm looking forward to seeing Walker play this weekend, as it sounds like Kubiak has plans for him in Cleveland.
I remember him from the big bowl game Notre Dame played against LSU last year and he was impressive as I recall ? I think he's a weapon to catch a little
pass in the flat, maybe run some screens ? Not real fast, but some quickness
as I recall ?

Andrew6
11-22-2007, 09:27 AM
Well we'll see if he's worthy of playing or if he's going to be a bust. Heres your chance DW

Spike
11-22-2007, 10:01 AM
Well we'll see if he's worthy of playing or if he's going to be a bust. Heres your chance DW

Great...now even undrafted players that we pick up are heavily scrutinized. No NFL team (including the Texans) drafted this guy, but if he doesn't play well it is another lousy move by the Texans?

Specnatz
11-22-2007, 10:35 AM
Great...now even undrafted players that we pick up are heavily scrutinized. No NFL team (including the Texans) drafted this guy, but if he doesn't play well it is another lousy move by the Texans?

I agree, Andrew that is a little tough to put on the guy he has to be an All-Star performer from game one. He is an undrafted rookie he might do well he might make mistake (more than likely) but can we not even use the bust card on him.

What I am saying is he is a rookie lets not put the weight of the whole team on him.

threetoedpete
11-22-2007, 11:00 AM
Well let's re cap:
Denver Draft's Selvin Young the year after this HC is gone. Someone in Denver
was nutorious for sitting guys on the bench when they fumbled in years past.
Selvin Young spit the pill alot at Texas.

Last week on his first touch, Adimchinobe Echemandu spits the pill.

The next week, Walker is brought up. Message: RB's, don't put the ball on the ground. Fumbles are a zero tolernce thingy with this HC.

kiwitexansfan
11-22-2007, 04:01 PM
I am excited about the Darius Walker era, the more guys we try the better chance we turn up someone who is the answer.

Marcus
11-22-2007, 06:11 PM
Oh man, I'm just so excited that an undrafted running back with no speed has been activated, I could just . . .

Hervoyel
11-23-2007, 11:02 AM
Darius Walker may look very, very good Sunday. It could happen and I believe that if it does happen then nobody should be surprised to see it. No, I'm not drinking the kool-aid. I'm just pointing out the obvious. Several factors could combine to make Walker look better than he is Sunday.

1. Cleveland ranks 28th in run defense. It doesn't take Walter Payton to have a good day on the ground against Cleveland.

2. Walker is not on a lot of film so he's not particularly easy to prepare for.

3. Walker has fresh legs and in week 12 of the NFL season that can make a bit of a difference.

4. Walker isn't fast but he's faster than Ron Dayne by a ton. The line has been blocking for Dayne and so holes he would squeak through will be plenty big for Darius. This is where the fresh legs help. Once the running game becomes effective the line will get some momentum going.

I'm not saying it's going to last or that it means much of anything. I'm just saying don't be surprised (or overly impressed) if Walker has a good day. Judging by the "big picture" he should have a good day and maybe even finish the season strong. Remember Samkon Gado did this exact same thing a couple of years ago in Green Bay.

ObsiWan
11-23-2007, 12:01 PM
I'll just be happy if he makes some decent catches out of the backfield. Dayne just can't get out in the flat fast enough to make screens work dependably. Hopefully Walker will add that dimension to the offense.

hookinreds
11-23-2007, 08:33 PM
Darius Walker may look very, very good Sunday. It could happen and I believe that if it does happen then nobody should be surprised to see it. No, I'm not drinking the kool-aid. I'm just pointing out the obvious. Several factors could combine to make Walker look better than he is Sunday.

1. Cleveland ranks 28th in run defense. It doesn't take Walter Payton to have a good day on the ground against Cleveland.

2. Walker is not on a lot of film so he's not particularly easy to prepare for.

3. Walker has fresh legs and in week 12 of the NFL season that can make a bit of a difference.

4. Walker isn't fast but he's faster than Ron Dayne by a ton. The line has been blocking for Dayne and so holes he would squeak through will be plenty big for Darius. This is where the fresh legs help. Once the running game becomes effective the line will get some momentum going.

I'm not saying it's going to last or that it means much of anything. I'm just saying don't be surprised (or overly impressed) if Walker has a good day. Judging by the "big picture" he should have a good day and maybe even finish the season strong. Remember Samkon Gado did this exact same thing a couple of years ago in Green Bay.

If Walker was another teams rookie pitcher, the Astros would be looking at an upcoming shutout or nohitter.

b0ng
11-23-2007, 09:10 PM
I don't care if they start Bugs Bunny as long the ball carrier can block, not fumble, and get about 60 to 70 yards a game.

I can see the stat line now:

B. Bunny 21 ATT 76 YDS 1 TD 3 CARROTS EATEN.

AnthonyE
11-24-2007, 12:06 AM
Hopefully someday we'll have the same non-homosexual love for Darius Walker as the guy who made this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6h32lYOUksw

Or gay. Not that there's anything wrong with that...

Specnatz
11-24-2007, 12:08 AM
Oh man, I'm just so excited that an undrafted running back with no speed has been activated, I could just . . .

He is faster than Ron Dayne and he will not try and do the hookie pookie on
4th and 1. He may not get the yard but he damn sure will hit the freakin hole with all he has. I do not care if he is a homerun threat at this point. what I want is a one cut and go towrds the damn goal type of running back. it is not to hard to ask at this stage in the season.

stevn8r
11-24-2007, 12:57 AM
Hopefully someday we'll have the same non-homosexual love for Darius Walker as the guy who made this video.

He looked like a couple blocks away from being awesome! That is the first time I have seen him run.
I was there for pre-season but don't remember.

As far as speed, from what I can find on him, he is as fast as Emmitt Smith but slower than Addai. But Addai is freakishly fast like a 4.37 40 and DW is a 4.55 40.

He seems humble and is a hard worker let's just hope we have had the second coming of Emmitt on our practice squad! :yes::texflag::yes:

Hervoyel
11-24-2007, 11:20 AM
He is faster than Ron Dayne and he will not try and do the hokie pokie on
4th and 1. He may not get the yard but he damn sure will hit the freakin hole with all he has. I do not care if he is a home run threat at this point. what I want is a one cut and go towards the damn goal type of running back. it is not to hard to ask at this stage in the season.

If we were truly doing the Denver running game here and not a funky mix of Denver and Green Bay then Darius Walker would have me pretty excited. He is a perfectly adequate "one cut and go" kind of back. He's not too small and he's not too slow. Since we tend to kind of run the ball more like the Packers and less like the Broncos I think we all know what we're going to be getting.

I figure he wouldn't be activated this week if they didn't think he was ready. I certainly don't believe that Itchy fumbling last week is the reason they activated him. I believe the only response to that fumble was that Dayne did all the work. The Texans aren't going to activate a rookie running back just to send a message to a street free agent they picked up.

TEXANRED
11-24-2007, 11:51 AM

I watched the video, now I can see why he went undrafted.

He doesn't take on tacklers and prefers to run out of bounds rather than plow ahead to get another couple of yards, lack of burst through the hole, and dances around.

Hope he changed all of that.

I am really hoping that this is not the best that Walker has to offer.

Specnatz
11-24-2007, 12:15 PM
If we were truly doing the Denver running game here and not a funky mix of Denver and Green Bay then Darius Walker would have me pretty excited. He is a perfectly adequate "one cut and go" kind of back. He's not too small and he's not too slow. Since we tend to kind of run the ball more like the Packers and less like the Broncos I think we all know what we're going to be getting.

I figure he wouldn't be activated this week if they didn't think he was ready. I certainly don't believe that Itchy fumbling last week is the reason they activated him. I believe the only response to that fumble was that Dayne did all the work. The Texans aren't going to activate a rookie running back just to send a message to a street free agent they picked up.

I never thought it was a message either. Not sure if he is an everdown back, but I thought he could be a decent back-up and third down guy because he knows how to pick up the blitz and can catch the ball. That is why I liked him.

Marcus
11-24-2007, 12:20 PM
From Saturday's Chronicle . . .

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/5325062.html

Adimchinobe Echemandu, signed as a free agent by the Texans in early October, ran well in his debut against San Diego but lost a fumble on his only carry against New Orleans last week, giving coach Gary Kubiak the incentive to activate rookie Darius Walker.

Kubiak hasn't decided if Echemandu and Walker will be active.

"I wanted them to compete this week, and I thought they both looked really good," Kubiak said after Friday's workout. "I think Darius is close. I'll go back and look at how he practiced today (on tape), looking at blitz pickup, that kind of stuff."

What Walker does when he's not carrying the ball is not important to fans . . err, well . . most of them, that is.

nunusguy
11-24-2007, 01:08 PM
I watched the video, now I can see why he went undrafted.

He doesn't take on tacklers and prefers to run out of bounds rather than plow ahead to get another couple of yards, lack of burst through the hole, and dances around.

Hope he changed all of that.

I am really hoping that this is not the best that Walker has to offer.

Avoiding tacklers, running out of bounds rather than gutting it out thru the middle, dances around. You must be talking about Regiie Bush. Didn't keep him from getting drafted #2 overall last year.
Oh by the way, little Reggie also catchs passes wide-open over the middle
and then falls down untouched & unhurt and waits for the ref to blow the play dead.

drewmar74
11-24-2007, 04:24 PM
It's a shame that "Prominent Forehead" isn't considered as criteria in the Pro Bowl balloting.

If it was, Schaub and Darius Walker would both be locks for Honolulu.

Andrew6
11-24-2007, 07:50 PM
It's a shame that "Prominent Forehead" isn't considered as criteria in the Pro Bowl balloting.

If it was, Schaub and Darius Walker would both be locks for Honolulu.

LoL, I thought I was the only one that noticed those giant Klingon foreheards. If DW does something and stays around I say we rename him Wharf.

stevn8r
11-24-2007, 11:35 PM
LoL, I thought I was the only one that noticed those giant Klingon foreheards. If DW does something and stays around I say we rename him Wharf.

Wharf Walker, has a ring to it! lol

I wonder how to say Touchdown in klingon.idonno:

Andrew6
11-25-2007, 06:32 AM

lol, I'm sure we have to have a big Trekkie fan on here than can find that out for us.

Andrew6
11-25-2007, 06:46 AM

http://www.kli.org/tlh/pIqaD.html

I found this website when I googled it. Apparently there is a whole Klingon language institute. Who'da thunk it.

If you google Klingon language its actually kinda scary to see all these different websites that teach a fake language.

Thorn
11-25-2007, 06:54 AM
lol, I'm sure we have to have a big Trekkie fan on here than can find that out for us.

* raises hand *

There is no Klingon translation for touchdown that I could find. The nearest word I get to is invade in Klingon is yot.

So, we must yot their end zone. http://www.trekbbs.com/threads/images/graemlins/Klingon.gif

Andrew6
11-25-2007, 07:58 AM
Well done! = majQa'

That's great news! = buy' ngop (Literally, "The plates are full")

pIvlob
(n) warp factor [This was omitted from the English-Klingon listing of TKD

Or we can just make up our own words. Hell seems all they did. I looked at the Klingon language and looks like a series of different looking F's

edo783
11-25-2007, 10:27 AM
Or we can just make up our own words. Hell seems all they did. I looked at the Klingon language and looks like a series of different looking F's

Sooo, your saying it's pretty much "F"ed up?:)

Andrew6
11-25-2007, 10:29 AM
Sooo, your saying it's pretty much "F"ed up?:)

heh pretty much didn't think of it like that.

Hervoyel
11-25-2007, 11:01 AM
And here he is ready for action

http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc272/Hervoyel/DariusSonofMowg.gif

Ok, that one kind of sucked. I can do better. Gimmie a few minutes.

Silver Oak
11-25-2007, 11:11 AM
Walker is inactive for the game. Sigh.

November 25, 2007, 11:52 ET
Houston Inactives

Summary: RB Ahman Green, RB Darius Walker, TE Jeb Putzier, G Kasey Studdard, T Jordan Black, T Brandon Frye, LB Shantee Orr, CB Jamar Fletcher

http://www.footballguys.com

adam
11-25-2007, 11:20 AM
Walker is inactive for the game. Sigh.

November 25, 2007, 11:52 ET
Houston Inactives

Summary: RB Ahman Green, RB Darius Walker, TE Jeb Putzier, G Kasey Studdard, T Jordan Black, T Brandon Frye, LB Shantee Orr, CB Jamar Fletcher

http://www.footballguys.com

Was he injured?

Andrew6
11-25-2007, 11:22 AM
And here he is ready for action

http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc272/Hervoyel/DariusSonofMowg.gif

Ok, that one kind of sucked. I can do better. Gimmie a few minutes.

lol thats funny

Silver Oak
11-25-2007, 11:40 AM
Was he injured?

I didn't see anything regarding injury, but it looks like a heavy dose of Ron Dayne and maybe Echemandu, which is ok with me if the result at the end is the same.

:texflag:

edo783
11-25-2007, 12:01 PM
Activated off the PS, not injured, just didn't make the game day squad this week. Probably will next week I think.

Hook'er
11-26-2007, 06:30 AM
When will we finally see him?

Andrew6
11-28-2007, 10:46 PM
Any word if Darius "Wharf (Klingon)" Walker will play this weekend?

Hook'er
12-03-2007, 01:29 PM
Will he see the feild this Sunday vs Tampa?:pigfly:

adam
12-03-2007, 01:36 PM
I'm starting to think that Kubiak just "activated" him to shut people up about the running game. Walker has been on the inactive list ever since he was "activated". To be honest, unless Walker is bringing something huge to the table, I don't see the point in screwing with the running game this season. Dayne has improved and is doing just fine for our purposes. Bad defense and turnovers are what's killing us, not the running game.

Andrew6
12-07-2007, 06:07 PM
WOOO HOOO THE KLINGON IS IN. . . Don't dissappoint me

Thorn
12-07-2007, 06:39 PM
Klingons are cool. Is Walker with or without forehead ridges? This is important when considering the how mean Klingons are.

Andrew6
12-07-2007, 10:01 PM
Klingons are cool. Is Walker with or without forehead ridges? This is important when considering the how mean Klingons are.

I hope the mans got a mean streak. I'd expect nothing less.

Grid
12-07-2007, 11:06 PM
I dont remember much of Walker from preseason.

Personally I think our passing game would benefit more from a fast/shifty back that can get around a corner on a shovel pass, make defense pay on a screen, and be a real threat to take it to the house.

I see the benefits of pounding the ball.. but I just dont think it fits. We have a finesse passing game and a big ugly running game. But look at teams like the Colts and Eagles.. they compliment their dominant passing game with a dangerous "finesse" running game...ok maybe not the eagles anymore.. but ya get my point.

GP
12-07-2007, 11:48 PM
Big whoop.

Getting excited about activating a RB who was dumped over the summer by the same guy (Kubiak) who then re-signed him due to Taylor's injury, only to leave him lingering on the PS this whole time....Well, excuse me if I say "Big whoop."

OL and RB. What are those? Oh yeah, they're those things that we haven't seemed to have needed for our whole NFL existence.

When will this team MAN UP and draft ugly (go after an OL) in the first round?

Anybody who was watching Notre Dame football, even as a casual fan just surfing through the channels and landing on a Notre Dame game for a few minutes, is able to see that Darius Walker went undrafted for a reason: He's not very good.

Yes, they won games. Yes, he made some touchdowns. But the guy I saw in college is NOT going to make it in the NFL.

IMO, he's an emergency guy whom they can activate in the scenario that all other RBs are injured and cannot play. He's eligible for PS, and that's where they'll keep him--A luke-warm, leftover sandwich that got sat on by a fat guy (Dayne) on the way to the job site.

I hate this team.

Texans_Chick
12-07-2007, 11:59 PM
My write up of the Ahman Green-Darius Walker thing is here:

Ahman Green Out for the Season: Is His Career Over? (http://sports.aol.com/fanhouse/2007/12/07/ahman-green-out-for-the-season-is-his-career-over/)

beerlover
12-08-2007, 02:21 AM
it might be a good idea to get Frye in there too, he looked pretty tall reaching the top shelf (shoe box) shopping for the kids in the Darius video :)

tulexan
12-08-2007, 07:43 AM
Big whoop.

Getting excited about activating a RB who was dumped over the summer by the same guy (Kubiak) who then re-signed him due to Taylor's injury, only to leave him lingering on the PS this whole time....Well, excuse me if I say "Big whoop."

OL and RB. What are those? Oh yeah, they're those things that we haven't seemed to have needed for our whole NFL existence.

Anybody who was watching Notre Dame football, even as a casual fan just surfing through the channels and landing on a Notre Dame game for a few minutes, is able to see that Darius Walker went undrafted for a reason: He's not very good.

Yes, they won games. Yes, he made some touchdowns. But the guy I saw in college is NOT going to make it in the NFL.

IMO, he's an emergency guy whom they can activate in the scenario that all other RBs are injured and cannot play. He's eligible for PS, and that's where they'll keep him--A luke-warm, leftover sandwich that got sat on by a fat guy (Dayne) on the way to the job site.

I hate this team.

You're right, draft position determines how good someone actually is and there have never been any good undrafted running backs.

Specnatz
12-08-2007, 11:02 AM
Big whoop.

I hate this team.

Not sure what you mean he is not very goo. He performed very well at Notre Dame.

Does he have blinding speed - NO
Is he the biggiest back around - NO
Can he catch the bell very well - Yes
Can he pick up blitz - Yes

As far as you saying he is an emergency guy - Well No sh*t.

What do you think we are down to? 17 players on IR

You hate this team? There is the door --------------------------->

No one is forcing you to stay, I hate some decisions by the old regine and I may question some of the current move but Rick Smith has had one draft and one offseason, I am giving him the benefit of the doubt for now, this offseason and this draft is critical in what they address.

But to say you hate this team, then don't stick around and don't come back when they are winning next year.

:fans: :d: :texflag:

GP
12-08-2007, 01:13 PM
Not sure what you mean he is not very goo. He performed very well at Notre Dame.

Does he have blinding speed - NO
Is he the biggiest back around - NO
Can he catch the bell very well - Yes
Can he pick up blitz - Yes

As far as you saying he is an emergency guy - Well No sh*t.

What do you think we are down to? 17 players on IR

You hate this team? There is the door --------------------------->

No one is forcing you to stay, I hate some decisions by the old regine and I may question some of the current move but Rick Smith has had one draft and one offseason, I am giving him the benefit of the doubt for now, this offseason and this draft is critical in what they address.

But to say you hate this team, then don't stick around and don't come back when they are winning next year.

:fans: :d: :texflag:

LOL.

Someone thinks they are Super Fan.

Look, I didn't address you. Did I? Therefore I could care that you took the time to reply to me and try and make yourself look like Super Fan. You did a great job, though, I must admit it. The whole "There's the door" thing was really intense.

This is a message board, as I have been told. And I stated my ideas or opinions on the activation of Darius Walker, the newest savior to Kubiak's never-ending program of Mike Shanahan's philosophy of wasting 100 picks over the course of 12 drafts to try and find that one 4th or 5th or 6th or 7th round gem that nobody else was smart enough to find.

I think this qualifies as staying on topic, right?

Last thing: Can the NFL just do all of us, especially Texans fans, a big favor and just completely do away with the running back position altogether? Can we just throw the ball and agree that there's maybe 3 running backs each year (and it's never the same ones, by the way) who are even worthy of being called running backs? I'm hating the trend of seeing a great running back play half-a-season and then be done with an injury. The entire crop of running backs is a joke.

Andrew6
12-08-2007, 03:50 PM
LOL.

Someone thinks they are Super Fan.

Look, I didn't address you. Did I? Therefore I could care that you took the time to reply to me and try and make yourself look like Super Fan. You did a great job, though, I must admit it. The whole "There's the door" thing was really intense.

This is a message board, as I have been told. And I stated my ideas or opinions on the activation of Darius Walker, the newest savior to Kubiak's never-ending program of Mike Shanahan's philosophy of wasting 100 picks over the course of 12 drafts to try and find that one 4th or 5th or 6th or 7th round gem that nobody else was smart enough to find.

I think this qualifies as staying on topic, right?

Last thing: Can the NFL just do all of us, especially Texans fans, a big favor and just completely do away with the running back position altogether? Can we just throw the ball and agree that there's maybe 3 running backs each year (and it's never the same ones, by the way) who are even worthy of being called running backs? I'm hating the trend of seeing a great running back play half-a-season and then be done with an injury. The entire crop of running backs is a joke.

GP I think what he's trying to say is there HAS got be a bright light on the team. We're just all HOPING that DWalker (wharf) can come in and really put his forehead into some folks and make a name for himself/ team. It'll get better (someday). Right now cheer your team and be happy that Houston has a team. Support them or don't its your city to love or detest. I for one am a Texan and will support my team through the good times and the bad times (which there seem to be alot of). If you choose not to then thats your choice. Let us few that still have hope, have our dreams.

:texan: :gotexans1

GP
12-09-2007, 08:42 AM
GP I think what he's trying to say is there HAS got be a bright light on the team. We're just all HOPING that DWalker (wharf) can come in and really put his forehead into some folks and make a name for himself/ team. It'll get better (someday). Right now cheer your team and be happy that Houston has a team. Support them or don't its your city to love or detest. I for one am a Texan and will support my team through the good times and the bad times (which there seem to be alot of). If you choose not to then thats your choice. Let us few that still have hope, have our dreams.

:texan: :gotexans1

I just got my new issue of ESPN The Magazine.

Bill Simmons has an article that perfectly illustrates what I am feeling toward the Texans right now.

His article was on how New York Knicks fans have gotten so angry at their team's owner and coach that the fans are now "living" to HATE the team. He detailed one young man who said he declined to go to a recent Knicks game because he knew he would literally go over to the owner and try to punch him in the face before the game even began.

Simmons said that the Knicks fans are radically angry at the team.

That's where I am at with the Texans.

I am sick and tired of being patronized by the entire organization, as well as by fans on the boards, as if there is really somehting here to be proud of.

If not having David Carr is what's getting a lot of you through this wilderness known as Texans football...well, then so be it. I'm addicted to Houston teams (Rockets, Astros, Texans) and so I will get the shakes and probably fall off the wagon and watch all the Texans games, but when the game is over I feel bad that I stumbled and had to have a drink of Texans football.

I used to only get angry after a loss. But I am no longer enjoying the wins, either, which is a sign (in my opinion) of being free from the addiction. It'd just be nice if the Texans could strike oil just once every 6 years or so. I'm not in need of a Super Bowl win every 6 years, but a playoff run every so often would be something that would be nice to have.

Until then, I'll just be grumpy, indifferent, skeptical, and practically the most insufferable fan on the boards. Kind of like Marcus, but with tact.

Brando
12-09-2007, 05:20 PM
Wow, hate is a strong word to use to describe a feeling toward a team that you "supposedly" root for. I think using the word hate should be for teams like the Titans,Cowboys, etc.

I love my Texans.

Walker looked pretty good today. He filled in nicely.

Andrew6
12-09-2007, 07:05 PM
I just got my new issue of ESPN The Magazine.

Bill Simmons has an article that perfectly illustrates what I am feeling toward the Texans right now.

His article was on how New York Knicks fans have gotten so angry at their team's owner and coach that the fans are now "living" to HATE the team. He detailed one young man who said he declined to go to a recent Knicks game because he knew he would literally go over to the owner and try to punch him in the face before the game even began.

Simmons said that the Knicks fans are radically angry at the team.

That's where I am at with the Texans.

I am sick and tired of being patronized by the entire organization, as well as by fans on the boards, as if there is really somehting here to be proud of.

If not having David Carr is what's getting a lot of you through this wilderness known as Texans football...well, then so be it. I'm addicted to Houston teams (Rockets, Astros, Texans) and so I will get the shakes and probably fall off the wagon and watch all the Texans games, but when the game is over I feel bad that I stumbled and had to have a drink of Texans football.

I used to only get angry after a loss. But I am no longer enjoying the wins, either, which is a sign (in my opinion) of being free from the addiction. It'd just be nice if the Texans could strike oil just once every 6 years or so. I'm not in need of a Super Bowl win every 6 years, but a playoff run every so often would be something that would be nice to have.

Until then, I'll just be grumpy, indifferent, skeptical, and practically the most insufferable fan on the boards. Kind of like Marcus, but with tact.

GP I think it maybe time for you to take a vacation or get you some. Stuff happens. We're riddled with injuries do you expect a team to go 16-0 with the highest IR list? Come on now.

Andrew6
12-09-2007, 07:07 PM
Wow, hate is a strong word to use to describe a feeling toward a team that you "supposedly" root for. I think using the word hate should be for teams like the Titans,Cowboys, etc.

I love my Texans.

Walker looked pretty good today. He filled in nicely.

I thought the same way shadows. I thought he looked decent looked more Dayne like than I kind of expected but still looked decent. Maybe we'll some more speed out of him or atleast some bursts next game. He had that Nice 9 yard run that he had to keep those lil short legs moving to get too. I am liking the Klingon so far.

PapaL
12-09-2007, 07:15 PM
I must say it was great seeing a #37 darting around the field. Oh how I miss the days of the underdog DD/W.

How odd would be it be if Walker (#37) and Schaub (#8) led us to the promised land? (Not saying Walker is anything more than what he currently is for us)

edo783
12-09-2007, 07:51 PM
Considering the O-line had problems opening holes today, he did reasonably well. Did pretty darn well catching the ball also. No one will confuse him with a world class sprinter though.

Hook'er
12-10-2007, 12:37 AM
Was alot better than Dayne! Glad to finally see him on the feild.:texflag:

Scooter
12-10-2007, 01:20 AM
Was alot better than Dayne! Glad to finally see him on the feild.:texflag:

i was unimpressed by walker. today really seemed like a "dayne" game with the type of holes opened and the type of tackles made. walker got tripped too often by low arm tackles and isnt strong enough to fall forward for that extra yard or two. if anything i'd prefer him as a 3rd down back, but i wouldnt trust him in pass protection. we need another RB.

Ckw
12-10-2007, 01:25 AM
i was unimpressed by walker. today really seemed like a "dayne" game with the type of holes opened and the type of tackles made. walker got tripped too often by low arm tackles and isnt strong enough to fall forward for that extra yard or two. if anything i'd prefer him as a 3rd down back, but i wouldnt trust him in pass protection. we need another RB.

I'm inclined to agree with you, but I still want to see #37 some more over these next few games. He showed flashes and then would get hit for a loss. So we'll see.

edo783
12-10-2007, 12:42 PM
He was "OK" for his first start expecially when the line isn't opening any real holes to run through. Next couple of games should bring into the light if he is a keeper or not.