PDA

View Full Version : Detroit and Dallas and Thanksgiving

gwallaia
11-20-2007, 10:03 AM
Ever wonder why these two teams play at home every Thanksgiving?

Detroit and Dallas have been traditional TV games on Thanksgiving for a long time. When I was growing up there was always the Detroit-Green Bay game to watch followed by Dallas against whomever.

When I was in the NFL, there was always a feeling among many -- especially coaches and GMs -- that the Lions and Cowboys had an unfair advantage playing at home every Thanksgiving Day.

Should other teams be able to cut the turkey on their home field?

http://cbs.sportsline.com/nfl/story/10483708/1

nflnutswife
11-20-2007, 11:07 AM
Dallas still ranks number 1 in national programming for viewers, it's all money! Home field advantage. . .? Yes, I agree it its'nt fair. but it sells sponsorships for the networks and that is what makes the market what it is.
Got my POST SEASON invoice for the Cowboys already. . .$495 for the 2 seats I own! :shades:

Hookem Horns
11-20-2007, 11:08 AM
I was interested in reading that story until I saw that ugly mug and realized who wrote it. Just the sound of his voice makes me want to puke and if I read that I would be imagining his voice.

kastofsna
11-20-2007, 11:25 AM
Troy Aikman made an interesting point, that if Dallas and Detroit do keep the Thxgiving game, they should have to play that game on the road.

Specnatz
11-20-2007, 11:53 AM
Troy Aikman made an interesting point, that if Dallas and Detroit do keep the Thxgiving game, they should have to play that game on the road.

I like that suggestion.

Speedy
11-20-2007, 07:58 PM
I don't know, it just wouldn't seem like Thanksgiving to me without Detroit then Dallas. Since I'm a 'Boys fan and nobody in my family is, it's made for some memorable Turkey days.

But regardless who you're a fan of, if Detroit is playing at home at 11:30 on a Thursday, you KNOW it's Thanksgiving.

Anyone remember the Blue-Gray game on Christmas day? When we got to grandma's house, gramps always had the Blue-Gray game on. Must be Christmas. They stopped having that game and it just wasn't the same. Never cared about the game in particular, just that when it was on, we're at granny's, it's Christmas, and we're about to throw down some serious groceries.

WWJD
11-21-2007, 10:09 AM
I've always "heard" that when the league pitched that idea to the teams the Cowboys and Lions were the only ones interested in even doing it...so out of that has grown a tradition. The other teams have complained about it for years (I definitely remember Lamar Hunt was very vocal about it when he was alive) but the games have become somewhat of a tradition for both Detroit and Dallas and the league has let it be.

mike moffat
11-21-2007, 10:16 AM
I say, Let em play. If that one game is a deciding factor in the overall out come. So be it. I'm not a cowboy fan, but it is a tradition.

WWJD
11-21-2007, 10:31 AM
I think at the time the idea was pitched to the teams of course there was not the TV revenue and all that...and I guess the teams thought it would be a hindrance to have to get their guys ready in 4 days to play.

I believe Tex is the one that got on board for the Cowboys.

As a Cowboys fan I like the tradition and when I went to the games it was always a lot of fun.

I do see though that it is unfair to the other teams and times have changed.

I don't know how it is even decided anymore...I would think if it came to a vote of owners they'd let every team have a shot at the game.

It's just always been that way.

TexanSam
11-21-2007, 10:33 AM
I can't see any other teams playing on Turkey Day except Dallas and Detroit. It just wouldn't feel like a Thanksgiving day game if neither of them were playing

HOU-TEX
11-21-2007, 10:41 AM
Y'all don't forget the Colts are playing the Falcons on Turkey day too. It should be a real nail biter of a game. It's on NFLN.:cool:

StarStruck
11-21-2007, 11:04 AM
Y'all don't forget the Colts are playing the Falcons on Turkey day too. It should be a real nail biter of a game. It's on NFLN.:cool:

LOL

I really like the tradition and it is realy fun being there on Thanksgiving even though the Texas Cheesesteaks are no comparison to the traditional Thanksgiving dinner. In addition to the game, they always come up with a crowd pleaser at halftime. I also like that time used as a kickoff for the huge support of the Salvation Army.

eriadoc
11-21-2007, 11:06 AM
If Dallas and Detroit continue to play on Thanksgiving, I think they should play each other.

Specnatz
11-21-2007, 11:47 AM

Yes but there are alot of people who will not get to see the game because it is on that over priced network.

HOU-TEX
11-21-2007, 11:55 AM
Yes but there are alot of people who will not get to see the game because it is on that over priced network.

True, but I highly doubt you'll miss much. :)

kastofsna
11-21-2007, 12:43 PM
it's free for me. :cool: