PDA

View Full Version : Why do you NOT like Tom Brady & Running Up the Score?

Marcus
11-20-2007, 12:05 AM
I've read that a lot of people hate on Brady for some reason or another, and I wondering the reasons why?

Is it just because he's the QB of the Patriots?
Is it because he plays for Bill Belichick?
Is it because the Patriots are so much better than anyone else?

Or does it have to do with Brady himself?

I've always considered him the the textbook drop back QB who grades even higher than Manning in the areas of pocket presence and overall field awareness.

ATX
11-20-2007, 12:15 AM
Maybe because he gets all the hot women, I don't know.

Showtime100
11-20-2007, 12:50 AM

And in the same week no less.

In the very few times the Pats have struggled during Brady's time there he was very quick to place thinly veiled blame on some of his teammates and/or coaches. He defends running up the score.

Yeah, that's about all I got, but I'm working on it. :cowboy1:

kastofsna
11-20-2007, 12:57 AM
i love Brady.

Maddict5
11-20-2007, 06:57 AM
i like brady too

eriadoc
11-20-2007, 07:01 AM
Simple - he plays for the wrong team.

I think it shows a real lack of sportsmanship to run up the score the way they do, as well, but I don't pin that on Brady, really. When they're up several TDs in the second half and go for it on 4th down instead of taking the FG points, that is the epitome of no class.

Pearl Trade
11-20-2007, 07:10 AM
i like Brady. hes a much better player than Peyton Manning imo.

hes not the one who runs up the score and i have no problem with coaches doing that.

Texan_Bill
11-20-2007, 08:18 AM
I have no hate for the guy, but I think he gets a bad wrap as being somewhat arrogant. Probably a case of being guilty by association (Belichick) more than anything he has done.

Besides, he scores some hotties, so props there.

*Disclaimer*
In no way is this an endorsement for the Patriots.... :cowboy1:

BeerTastesLikeVictory
11-20-2007, 08:23 AM
I like him just fine, mainly because he is on my fantasy team.

HoustonFrog
11-20-2007, 08:31 AM
I used to like him. But I think now if you add playing for the Patriots THIS YEAR, playing for Belichik and mainly the fact that he is a cyborg that just walks around with no expression. It is really weird. I'd much rather see a Favre or Romo or someone enjoying the game and Brady looks like he punches in the coordinates on his arm pad and then completes his mission. There is no real hate for him, I just think this year they enjoy the "eff U" stuff too much. You can see his grins after they keep running it up. His mouth moves slightly upward.

http://i17.tinypic.com/8244is4.jpg

powerfuldragon
11-20-2007, 08:39 AM

exactly... because dreamboat brady gets to dock in the greatest ports.

TexanSam
11-20-2007, 08:42 AM

I was going to say something like that. Yours is better.

I want Giselle! :crying:

powerfuldragon
11-20-2007, 08:47 AM
I want Giselle! :crying:

******, i wouldn't mind bridget moynahan.

Khari
11-20-2007, 09:16 AM
i have no problem with brady or the patriots

HOU-TEX
11-20-2007, 09:18 AM
I have no beef with Brady. He's a great QB, as well as Manning, Favre, etc. Romo is good, but IMO it's too soon to mention him with the great QBs.

They're winners, how can you not like them?:cool:

BigBull17
11-20-2007, 09:19 AM
Simple - he plays for the wrong team.

I think it shows a real lack of sportsmanship to run up the score the way they do, as well, but I don't pin that on Brady, really. When they're up several TDs in the second half and go for it on 4th down instead of taking the FG points, that is the epitome of no class.

If you dont like getting 50 dropped on you, stop em. No whineing in pro football. What are they supose to do, coast through 2 and a half quarters? You cant do that in football. Thats when teams get hot and roll you. They arent doing anything wrong.

HoustonFrog
11-20-2007, 09:46 AM
If you dont like getting 50 dropped on you, stop em. No whineing in pro football. What are they supose to do, coast through 2 and a half quarters? You cant do that in football. Thats when teams get hot and roll you. They arent doing anything wrong.

The problem is going for it twice on 4th down while up by 30 something in the 3rd and 4th quarters. It isn't as simple as "stop them." It is how they are going about it. Even the people up there are strating to get on hoody.

Second Honeymoon
11-20-2007, 10:06 AM
throwing the ball downfield when you are up by 30 points in the 4th Quarter is an act devoid of class....but no one has ever accused Belichik of being classy. I think its a matter of going 17-0, breaking Peyton's record, and giving the finger to all the 'cheater' talk from the beginning of the season.

What needs to happen is a team needs to take a cheap shot at Brady the next time they pull that stuff. If you want to score 50...fine...but your QB is going to be hurting at the end of the game and if he gets injured, well then you have no one to blame but yourself. Something tells me they wont win a SB much less go 18-0 if they dont have Brady.

If Belichik wants to play with no class, a team needs to step up and do likewise. Then he will learn a lesson...until then, he will just run up the score on every team they play.

TexansSeminole
11-20-2007, 10:08 AM
Probably because he wins championships, throws a crazy amount of touchdowns, and could probably pull any American female.

I don't have a problem with him.

YellerLotYeller
11-20-2007, 10:14 AM
I heart Tom Brady....because he makes Peyton cry.

dtran04
11-20-2007, 10:19 AM
I love how he and Moss pulled a "screw you" to Romo and TO's 4 TD's. You know they talked about it.

Double Barrel
11-20-2007, 10:33 AM

There is no running up the score in the NFL, IMO. This ain't college ball. All those players get paid big bucks to do a job.

I'll give you a few reasons why you can't run up the score in the NFL:

1. 35-3 (lest we forget)

2. The offense's job is to score points

3. A team whines when they want to quit but the Pats came to play 60 minutes of football

4. They are that much better than everyone else this year, and they never back off from the killer instinct that they've developed.

throwing the ball downfield when you are up by 30 points in the 4th Quarter is an act devoid of class....but no one has ever accused Belichik of being classy. I think its a matter of going 17-0, breaking Peyton's record, and giving the finger to all the 'cheater' talk from the beginning of the season.

What needs to happen is a team needs to take a cheap shot at Brady the next time they pull that stuff. If you want to score 50...fine...but your QB is going to be hurting at the end of the game and if he gets injured, well then you have no one to blame but yourself. Something tells me they wont win a SB much less go 18-0 if they dont have Brady.

If Belichik wants to play with no class, a team needs to step up and do likewise. Then he will learn a lesson...until then, he will just run up the score on every team they play.

I guess you believe that Manning is "classless", as well? He audibled to passes in the 4th of a blowout game at Reliant. He had the game under control, and instead of running the clock with running plays, he was going for a personal record that year (49 TD passes).

Why is Manning exempt but the Patriots are "classless" for doing their jobs?

Heck, WE scored four TDs in the 4th against the Titans to almost win the game. So a 30 point deficit is not some insurmountable lead in the NFL. When the Pats go soft, then other teams will exploit. They are focussed and refused to quit, and if their 2nd string QB is throwing TDs, remember that it is his job to score points regardless of the score.

I guarant-freakin'-tee that you'd be the biggest proponent of scoring as many points as possible if that were the Texans winning games by 50 points. Personally, I'd love it, revel in it, celebrate it...so I can't fault them for doing what they do.

If other teams don't like it: stop them. :howdy:

HoustonFrog
11-20-2007, 10:45 AM
Sorry DB, we agree on alot, but I think what they are doing is over the top. It isn't like it is the middle of the 3rd and they are up 28 and still scoring. It is the 4th quarter up by 30-40 and they are going for it on 4th down TWICE and then throwing in more TDs. It is more about showing up the opponent than scoring. 35-3 was an anomoly with a team with an offense that did nothing but throw. This isn't the playoffs. Alot of their TDs have been closing minutes. Its an "eff u." Call it what you want but it is classless on their part. Even some of the media up there is starting to call it after this week.

TexansSeminole
11-20-2007, 10:49 AM
There is no running up the score in the NFL, IMO. This ain't college ball. All those players get paid big bucks to do a job.

I'll give you a few reasons why you can't run up the score in the NFL:

1. 35-3 (lest we forget)

2. The offense's job is to score points

3. A team whines when they want to quit but the Pats came to play 60 minutes of football

4. They are that much better than everyone else this year, and they never back off from the killer instinct that they've developed.

I guess you believe that Manning is "classless", as well? He audibled to passes in the 4th of a blowout game at Reliant. He had the game under control, and instead of running the clock with running plays, he was going for a personal record that year (49 TD passes).

Why is Manning exempt but the Patriots are "classless" for doing their jobs?

Heck, WE scored four TDs in the 4th against the Titans to almost win the game. So a 30 point deficit is not some insurmountable lead in the NFL. When the Pats go soft, then other teams will exploit. They are focussed and refused to quit, and if their 2nd string QB is throwing TDs, remember that it is his job to score points regardless of the score.

I guarant-freakin'-tee that you'd be the biggest proponent of scoring as many points as possible if that were the Texans winning games by 50 points. Personally, I'd love it, revel in it, celebrate it...so I can't fault them for doing what they do.

If other teams don't like it: stop them. :howdy:

Belichick is gangsta. When asked why he went for it twice in the fourth when up by multiple touchdowns, Belichick said something to the effect of "I am not satisfied with a field goal". He said it as if he has just outgrown field goals. They are no longer satisfying to him. That is gangsta, and I like it. He doesn't care what anybody else has to say, they can say he is a big meanie, they can say he is classless, he doesn't care. He is going to beat the crap out of every team that he should beat the crap out of, and that's pretty much every team in the NFL.

The first gangsta moment I saw from Belichick this year was when he beat the Redskins by like 40 some points and Joe Gibbs didn't shake Belichick's hand. Belichick was standing there with his hands on his hips and kind of put his arms out like "Where you going?" That's when I knew Belichick was going to get down and dirty this year. He just looks determined to prove to everybody around him that he can beat anybody, and convincingly. After the win against the Colts, Belichick said "This is just another game to me, we will play next week and it will be just another game as well". He doesn't care who it is, what the situation is, or what the media says he comes to beat the crap out of you. He steps on your throat and sufficates you when you play the Patriots. He gives you 0 breathing room.

Specnatz
11-20-2007, 11:01 AM
Sorry DB, we agree on alot, but I think what they are doing is over the top. It isn't like it is the middle of the 3rd and they are up 28 and still scoring. It is the 4th quarter up by 30-40 and they are going for it on 4th down TWICE and then throwing in more TDs. It is more about showing up the opponent than scoring. 35-3 was an anomoly with a team with an offense that did nothing but throw. This isn't the playoffs. Alot of their TDs have been closing minutes. Its an "eff u." Call it what you want but it is classless on their part. Even some of the media up there is starting to call it after this week.

Maybe you should check what the box score more often the patriots only scored 14 points in the 4th quarter on sunday one by a rushing TD and another by a fumble return, so take the 14 points off the board and it is still 42 to 10 before the 4th Quarter begins and like DB pointed out how many points did we score against the titans in the 4th. So it seems they did let off the gas a little bit versus stomp on it harder. Yes they went for it on 4th and 1 just to keep the ball and run more time off the clock but isn't that what you are supposed to do late in a game is keep the ball and let more time tick away?

Double Barrel
11-20-2007, 11:03 AM

I understand your perspective, but it's just entertainment to me. I like that we have a dominant dynasty in the age of parity, when "experts" told us that there could be no dynasties because of salary caps and free agency. The Patriots have proven to be the model of the new millenium. It's a team effort from the FO all the way down to the players and trainers.

They strive to be the best team in history, and winning games with these margins does two things: puts fear in their opponents hearts this year, and cements their domination as recorded NFL history.

I'm not really defending the 4th down calls, because I don't really know what the motive is and what their logic is at the time. I've seen some quotes that mention the coaches want their players to feel that situation for reference in the future, so that could have some merit as much as maybe they are just running up scores. Who knows, but it is entertaining to watch and talk about! (and wish it was the Texans doing it!)

kastofsna
11-20-2007, 11:04 AM
also i want to add that i love Brady because he gives Miami at least one win a year. and i'm expecting that this year, too. why not.

TexansSeminole
11-20-2007, 11:05 AM
Belichick probably likes people to be upset with him.

TexansSeminole
11-20-2007, 11:08 AM
I understand your perspective, but it's just entertainment to me. I like that we have a dominant dynasty in the age of parity, when "experts" told us that there could be no dynasties because of salary caps and free agency. The Patriots have proven to be the model of the new millenium. It's a team effort from the FO all the way down to the players and trainers.

They strive to be the best team in history, and winning games with these margins does two things: puts fear in their opponents hearts this year, and cements their domination as recorded NFL history.

I'm not really defending the 4th down calls, because I don't really know what the motive is and what their logic is at the time. I've seen some quotes that mention the coaches want their players to feel that situation for reference in the future, so that could have some merit as much as maybe they are just running up scores. Who knows, but it is entertaining to watch and talk about! (and wish it was the Texans doing it!)

It also tells the players of the Patriots that they are going for the TD on every possession. Sometimes, I feel like coaches give their players the impression that they would just like to run time off the clock late in games. Belichick has very obviously told his players that no matter what the situation is they are going to be going for the TD.

HoustonFrog
11-20-2007, 11:09 AM
Maybe you should check what the box score more often the patriots only scored 14 points in the 4th quarter on sunday one by a rushing TD and another by a fumble return, so take the 14 points off the board and it is still 42 to 10 before the 4th Quarter begins and like DB pointed out how many points did we score against the titans in the 4th. So it seems they did let off the gas a little bit versus stomp on it harder. Yes they went for it on 4th and 1 just to keep the ball and run more time off the clock but isn't that what you are supposed to do late in a game is keep the ball and let more time tick away?

I check the box scores plenty. I hate to be an ass but maybe you should read my post more carefully. I said they have scored in closing minutes multiple times this year.

http://insider.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/bostonblog/071015&action=upsell&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fesp n%2fpage2%2fstory%3fpage%3dsimmons%2fbostonblog%2f 071015

Week 1 at New York Jets (38-14): 1-yard TD by Heath Evans, 1:58 left.

Week 2 vs. San Diego (38-14): 3-yard TD by Sammy Morris, 3:18 left.

Week 3 vs. Buffalo (38-7): 45-yard TD catch by Randy Moss, 10:22 left.

Week 4 at Cincy (34-17): 14-yard TD catch by Randy Moss, 3:18 left.

Week 5 vs. Cleveland (34-17): 15-yard fumble return TD by Randall Gay, 0:42 left.
(Important note: This came one play after the Pats failed to convert the "Eff You TD" on fourth-and-goal from Cleveland's 4 when Brady just missed Kyle Brady in the end zone.)

Week 6 vs. Dallas (48-27): 1-yard TD run by Kyle Eckel, 0:19 left.

This is only up until that game. In the position they were in this week you kick the FG and play it like normal. The went for it on 4th twice and the one time was to punch it in the end zone. Sorry, its classless no matter how you try to spin a couple of once in a lifetime comebacks. Texans/Titans isn't the Patriots, their defense or their offense.

I understand DB and others that they enjoy the dominance. I am fascinated with their team and how good they are but considering their MO in past years was pure class and now, after getting caught in Week 1, they are sticking it to people...I think it is bad for business. I don't condone cheap shots but Brady will take one under the chin soon and there will be 99% of America secretly applauding despite it not being Bradys fault.

TexansSeminole
11-20-2007, 11:14 AM
Explain why they shouldn't "run up the score"?

Why not? I don't see how class has anything to do with it. Teams can come back at any point, and your job while the game is still on is to beat the other team. People complaining about the Patriots is kind of rediculous to me. It's almost as if people feel like it is unfair how good they are.

Your supposed to score points. I don't see how scoring points, in any situation, is classless. If you can't stop the team, just forfeit. If your going to complain because the other team scored on you too many times, forfeit and retire. Quit playing the game if it bothers you.

kastofsna
11-20-2007, 11:16 AM
what do you mean "kick the field goal like normal?" they go for it on 4th down all the time. that's what's normal for the Patriots.

Mr teX
11-20-2007, 11:16 AM
For me it's mainly b/c he plays for the patriots & i'm tired of seeing, hearing people talk about them, it's kind of like the chaos after the 2006 draft about our selection of MW & how we screwed up.

Mr teX
11-20-2007, 11:22 AM
what do you mean "kick the field goal like normal?" they go for it on 4th down all the time. that's what's normal for the Patriots.

yeah, but going for it on 4th down up 40 something - 10? against the offensively-challenged bills no less? that's blatant disrespect to your opponent as a professional. They didn't need that extra 4 points, Bill Belichick just has undies in a bunch b/c he got busted cheating & now he wants to pout like a &^%$.

newsflash bill, it's of your own doing, get over it.

Yankee_In_TX
11-20-2007, 11:25 AM

Because he can say:

"look, I know you're a world reknown super model, but, well, I need someone hotter."

And because he's a Wolverine!

HoustonFrog
11-20-2007, 11:27 AM

You know, 4th down, up by 40, mid 4th quarter. Respect the game and your opponent, kick it and kick off. Going for it on 4th connotes wanting 4 more points than the FG.

Sorry but I think some of you have a very warped sense of what really happens in NFL games. If you think teams are just coming back against teams like the Pats or stopping them while down by 40 because of some fluke stuff we did against weaker competition then you really are lost. There is a reason why 35-3 was so munumental. It isn't a weekly thing. Part of the NFL is respecting your coaching fraternity, the league, your teammates and opponents. I understand some rivalries lend themselves to heated games but to "Eff U" to everyone and then hear lame ass excuses is just that..lame.

BigBull17
11-20-2007, 11:27 AM
The problem is going for it twice on 4th down while up by 30 something in the 3rd and 4th quarters. It isn't as simple as "stop them." It is how they are going about it. Even the people up there are strating to get on hoody.

It is as simple as stop them. Why stop what you do, because you have a lead? Ask the Oilers back in the day. They coasted, how did that go/ Id never stop doing what I do unless its in the three minute mark. Its pro football, anything can happen quick.

HoustonFrog
11-20-2007, 11:33 AM
It is as simple as stop them. Why stop what you do, because you have a lead? Ask the Oilers back in the day. They coasted, how did that go/ Id never stop doing what I do unless its in the three minute mark. Its pro football, anything can happen quick.

That whole Oiler things is such a crock. If I hear that lame thing one more time. Look at the time of the game and place. You are barking up the wrong tree. Dear Lord, you'd think there are 2-3 35-40 point comebacks a week.

Hervoyel
11-20-2007, 11:36 AM
I've got no problem with Tom Brady. He's a hell of a quarterback. He's in a groove right now that's just beyond belief. I hope they go perfect on the year (unless in an unlikely event we should meet up with them, then I'm looking for the upset).

Specnatz
11-20-2007, 11:37 AM
Because he can say:

"look, I know you're a world reknown super model, but, well, I need someone hotter."

And because he's a Wolverine!

Enough said!!

Hervoyel
11-20-2007, 11:40 AM
Belichick probably likes people to be upset with him.

He might just be the personality type that feeds off of it. That's not all that unusual.

BigBull17
11-20-2007, 11:40 AM
That whole Oiler things is such a crock. If I hear that lame thing one more time. Look at the time of the game and place. You are barking up the wrong tree. Dear Lord, you'd think there are 2-3 35-40 point comebacks a week.

Um, the Pats had a pretty big colapse in the playoffs, didnt they? Why would you ever let up and risk being the next 30 point comeback? Screw that noise, Id rather be the *** who runs up the score than the *** who blew a big lead.

Mr teX
11-20-2007, 11:41 AM

Cosign, that GAME was a monumental exception. Playoffs vs. regular season, offensive juggernaut vs. near bottom of the league in offense, 38 pt lead which would've been a 41 pt. lead if they just kick the FG vs. 32 pt lead. etc..

there was absoluetly no reason for them to go for it other than Belichick calling himself making a statement...

TexansSeminole
11-20-2007, 11:46 AM
You know, 4th down, up by 40, mid 4th quarter. Respect the game and your opponent, kick it and kick off. Going for it on 4th connotes wanting 4 more points than the FG.

Sorry but I think some of you have a very warped sense of what really happens in NFL games. If you think teams are just coming back against teams like the Pats or stopping them while down by 40 because of some fluke stuff we did against weaker competition then you really are lost. There is a reason why 35-3 was so munumental. It isn't a weekly thing. Part of the NFL is respecting your coaching fraternity, the league, your teammates and opponents. I understand some rivalries lend themselves to heated games but to "Eff U" to everyone and then hear lame ass excuses is just that..lame.

The point is, your not suppose to hang it up just because you are winning by 30 points. If the other team wants to hang it up, start playing conservative, and hope that you don't score on them again, that's sad. No team should ever say "Hey let's just run it and get out of here" when they are losing. Just because teams can't hang with the Patriots, the Patriots are suppose to quit playing their gameplan? It's like they get one half of football, but considering nobody else can hang with them they are not allowed to play that second half how they were planning to. Since they are up by too many points, they must go into a shell and "run the clock out". The patriots would like to play the second half of games as well, just because teams couldn't hang with them for a half of football isn't going to change the fact that there is still time to play football.

The sad thing is that if the Patriots were not successful with these 4th down gambles then people would have NO problem whatsoever. People would be making fun of Belichick, talking about how it was a bad decision on his part, and that he lost points considering he could have kicked the field goal rather than not completing a 4th down pass. The only reason it bothers anyone is because they are successful. Why is it that people don't want to act like the Patriots are running a risk of not getting points when they go for it in that situation? People act as if Belichick will make it everytime he goes for it on 4th down or something and that it is cheating. They still have to execute and complete the play in the clutch, or they get zero points. Just because teams can't stop them, don't get mad.

HoustonFrog
11-20-2007, 11:57 AM
The point is, your not suppose to hang it up just because you are winning by 30 points. If the other team wants to hang it up, start playing conservative, and hope that you don't score on them again, that's sad. No team should ever say "Hey let's just run it and get out of here" when they are losing. Just because teams can't hang with the Patriots, the Patriots are suppose to quit playing their gameplan? It's like they get one half of football, but considering nobody else can hang with them they are not allowed to play that second half how they were planning to. Since they are up by too many points, they must go into a shell and "run the clock out". The patriots would like to play the second half of games as well, just because teams couldn't hang with them for a half of football isn't going to change the fact that there is still time to play football.

The sad thing is that if the Patriots were not successful with these 4th down gambles then people would have NO problem whatsoever. People would be making fun of Belichick, talking about how it was a bad decision on his part, and that he lost points considering he could have kicked the field goal rather than not completing a 4th down pass. The only reason it bothers anyone is because they are successful. Why is it that people don't want to act like the Patriots are running a risk of not getting points when they go for it in that situation? People act as if Belichick will make it everytime he goes for it on 4th down or something and that it is cheating. They still have to execute and complete the play in the clutch, or they get zero points. Just because teams can't stop them, don't get mad.

Listen, if your scrubs are better than their first team and they are just running the ball and putting it in...what can you say. But that isn't what is happening. And its not been happening all season. Why go for it on 4th twice when it is midway through the 4th quarter and the game is over?They throw, they are trying to put up extra points. Its that simple right now and apparent to people watching this year...even their fans.
Cosign, that GAME was a monumental exception. Playoffs vs. regular season, offensive juggernaut vs. near bottom of the league in offense, 38 pt lead which would've been a 41 pt. lead if they just kick the FG vs. 32 pt lead. etc..

there was absoluetly no reason for them to go for it other than Belichick calling himself making a statement...

Exactly

Again, back to the original question.....Cyborg is only following directions. Incredible QB. I just like a little more emotion...like looking like you enjoy playing.

santo
11-20-2007, 11:58 AM
The Patriots are a dominating team. I say let them score a hundred points if they want to.

Every team is given the same chance to score a touchdown on everydown. Just because the Patriots have learned to do it and utilize their opportunities, doesn't mean that they are classless.

If it was the Texans, nobody here in Texas would be complaining.

HoustonFrog
11-20-2007, 12:08 PM
The Patriots are a dominating team. I say let them score a hundred points if they want to.

Every team is given the same chance to score a touchdown on everydown. Just because the Patriots have learned to do it and utilize their opportunities, doesn't mean that they are classless.

I'm done after this one because it really is just a matter of opinion between posters and really isn't important......But....your post makes perfect sense except that at cetain points in a game teams show their opponents respect. If the Titans won at Reliant and ran to the middle of the field and danced or took a shot at Schaub would people be peeved?Of course. There is no difference when you are thoroughly beating a team and the game is virtually over and you decide it would be fun to add more points instead of taking what is there...a FG or whatever. It all adds up to dancing on the carcas. Its classless.

kastofsna
11-20-2007, 12:11 PM
has nothing to do with that, they're just executing their gameplan to perfection on every down. as Belichick said, "you want me to tell my offense to not score?"

BeerTastesLikeVictory
11-20-2007, 12:13 PM
I'm in the "let them run up the score" boat. Football is not a gentlemen's sport. Football is about how hard you can bust the opponent in the mouth. If they are good enough to hang up 60 points a week, then let them do it. Thats just more fuel for the team the next week to want to knock them off their pedestal.

HoustonFrog
11-20-2007, 12:16 PM
has nothing to do with that, they're just executing their gameplan to perfection on every down. as Belichick said, "you want me to tell my offense to not score?"

What gameplan says go for it on 4th down and get a TD instead of a FG while up 40?That is a lameass excuse. The Sports Guy, a Boston honk that many read on ESPN has laughed about it. They are talking about it on Boston radio now. People aren't dumb and they know exactly what he is doing. You are naive if you think it is a coach just doing his thing. Its dancing on the carcas. Its the same stuff the showed at the end of the San Diego game in the playoffs and he gets off on it.

kastofsna
11-20-2007, 12:19 PM
in that case, good. i hope they run flea flickers on 4th and long when up by 50 every game. because that's COOL

TexansLucky13
11-20-2007, 12:21 PM
What gameplan says go for it on 4th down and get a TD instead of a FG while up 40?That is a lameass excuse. The Sports Guy, a Boston honk that many read on ESPN has laughed about it. They are talking about it on Boston radio now. People aren't dumb and they know exactly what he is doing. You are naive if you think it is a coach just doing his thing. Its dancing on the carcas. Its the same stuff the showed at the end of the San Diego game in the playoffs and he gets off on it.

This is silly. Wouldn't kicking the field goal be even more disrespectful than going for it on a 4th and short? Think about it. You are giving the defense another chance to stop you, instead of taking the easy points.

It isn't too hard to understand the call. If they fail, the Bills would take over at like the 13... which isn't great field position at all. The Patriots were smart to go for it and just talented enough to pull it off.

End thread.

HoustonFrog
11-20-2007, 12:27 PM
in that case, good. i hope they run flea flickers on 4th and long when up by 50 every game. because that's COOL

Well I guess that shows your mentality then. Cool is in the eye of the beholder but whatever makes you feel better.

This is silly. Wouldn't kicking the field goal be even more disrespectful than going for it on a 4th and short? Think about it. You are giving the defense another chance to stop you, instead of taking the easy points.

It isn't too hard to understand the call. If they fail, the Bills would take over at like the 13... which isn't great field position at all. The Patriots were smart to go for it and just talented enough to pull it off.

End thread.

That makes ABSOLUTELY no sense at all. The defense can stop a FG too. A FG is par for the course...normal course of business...its expected in the situation. Who cares where the Bills take over?ITS FRIGGIN 8 minutes left in the 4th and you are up by 40. JP Losman isn't going off on you if you set him inside your own 30 10 times straight. Unreal.

TexansLucky13
11-20-2007, 12:32 PM
That makes ABSOLUTELY no sense at all. The defense can stop a FG too. A FG is par for the course...normal course of business...its expected in the situation. Who cares where the Bills take over?ITS FRIGGIN 8 minutes left in the 4th and you are up by 40. JP Losman isn't going off on you if you set him inside your own 30 10 times straight. Unreal.

You gotta be kidding me. The chances of blocking a FG are like 1 in 100. The chances of stopping a 4th and 1 are way better.

Why settle for the kick? Practicing a 4th and 1 is far more important than just getting three points when you are up by thirty something. Belichick is using his offense, and when they are ahead, he practices game-time situations for future use.

Practice makes perfect.... and because of a genius like Belichick, they very well may be perfect this season.

Marcus
11-20-2007, 12:37 PM

Exactly. There is nothing but a bunch of jealousy floating around here, and I think it's sickening. It's nothing but whining and moping about something that you only wish you you had, but don't.

Fans around the country are just chapped that, somehow, some way, 31 teams are the Washington Generals, and Patriots are the Harlem Globetrotters . . . in the league of parity. If Belichick wants to show his middle finger to everyone by getting his team to score a TD on every single possession, hey, more power to him. There's no such thing as running up the score in the NFL. If you don't want them to score, then make a play. That's all there is to it.

I hope the they run the table 19 straight, and win the Super Bowl 100-0, and onside kick it deep into the 4th quarter. Some of these crybabies deserve it.

ATX
11-20-2007, 12:37 PM
I'm with you lucky.......Field goals just add to the score and just because you can't stop them on 4th down doesn't mean they're going to score a TD on the drive. It's about the offense controlling the ball and not making your defense go out and play more than they have to.

HoustonFrog
11-20-2007, 12:39 PM
You gotta be kidding me. The chances of blocking a FG are like 1 in 100. The chances of stopping a 4th and 1 are way better.

Why settle for the kick? Practicing a 4th and 1 is far more important than just getting three points when you are up by thirty something. Belichick is using his offense, and when they are ahead, he practices game-time situations for future use.

Practice makes perfect.... and because of a genius like Belichick, they very well may be perfect this season.

You people are absured..seriously. You are winning by 40!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Practice is over. If anything you'd think he'd want his kicker to try something but an extra point. Its called respecting the other team. The Bills or any team they have done it to won't care about a FG. Going for it inside the 20 on 4th, they will. You are in the minority. It makes no sense.

I'm with you lucky.......Field goals just add to the score and just because you can't stop them on 4th down doesn't mean they're going to score a TD on the drive. It's about the offense controlling the ball and not making your defense go out and play more than they have to.

What?The game is over. You aren't controlling anything. Your backups are in on defense...or they should.

Exactly. There is nothing but a bunch of jealousy floating around here, and I think it's sickening. It's nothing but whining and moping about something that you only wish you you had, but don't.

No, it has to do with watching football for 30 years and enjoying seeing sportsmanship more than some hyped need for revenge over something they perpetuated. Think about it.

I feel like talking to 5th graders who want revenge because someone used to kick their ass in dodgeball.

TexansLucky13
11-20-2007, 12:43 PM
You people are absured..seriously. You are winning by 40!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Practice is over. If anything you'd think he'd want his kicker to try something but an extra point. Its called respecting the other team. The Bills or any team they have done it to won't care about a FG. Going for it inside the 20 on 4th, they will. You are in the minority. It makes no sense..

I don't understand this. If the Bills wanted to be respected, they wouldn't have let the Patriots score 56 points.

Respect is EARNED, and the Bills did NOT earn it.

HoustonFrog
11-20-2007, 12:49 PM
I don't understand this. If the Bills wanted to be respected, they wouldn't have let the Patriots score 56 points.

Respect is EARNED, and the Bills did NOT earn it.

If you are the superior team and you have already shown that you are the better team by a long shot then sportsmanship takes over and you play the game the right way. If the Pats were running 3rd string RB into the line, picking up 9 yards and got a TD, so be it. But they still throw, go for broke on 4th down and try for TDs, instead of FGs. Matter of opinion but to me that is bushleague. At that point in the game there is nothing you can practice or do that is going to change the situation.

Funny part is I can't stand the old whining Dolphins team and I hope they do win out. I was rooting for them to beat the Colts last year. I've liked the Pats...until this year. Don't get an attitude because you got caught.

Mr teX
11-20-2007, 01:07 PM

Come on man, You know that's garbage b/c no one has been able to stop them all year on offense much less a 4th & 1, much less the hapless bills who've already got a 40 spot dropped on them.

If he wants to "practice" game-time situations then here's a suggestion: DO IT IN PRACTICE! But if he insists on doing it in a game to create as close to a game-like situation as possible, at least do it with some class & put your back-ups in. If they're still running up & down the field on them, then you've at least done all you can within reason.

It's just uncalled for, that's all.

Texan_Bill
11-20-2007, 01:12 PM

Thats not completely true... I remember wishing the Oilers had taken it easy on another team once, because I was afraid of what the repercussions might be.... Well it was getting our hats handed to us by Sam Wyche and the Bengals 61-7

HOU-TEX
11-20-2007, 01:22 PM
IMO, Bill is just flexing his extended muscles to the NFL. It's just another way for him to show everyone how much of a rebel he wants to be.

Personally, I don't really mind the running up the score thing. The going for it on 4th down thing kind of surprises me, but in the end, I could care less about the Patriots.

The Texans don't face them this year so let them win however they want. By the time the Texans are ready to make a run at the Bowl the Pats will have hopefully lost their core talent.:texflag:

powerfuldragon
11-20-2007, 01:24 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v15/TheKingOfBums/jealous.jpg

Mr teX
11-20-2007, 01:26 PM

Fans around the country are just chapped that, somehow, some way, 31 teams are the Washington Generals, and Patriots are the Harlem Globetrotters . . . in the league of parity. If Belichick wants to show his middle finger to everyone by getting his team to score a TD on every single possession, hey, more power to him. There's no such thing as running up the score in the NFL. If you don't want them to score, then make a play. That's all there is to it.

I hope the they run the table 19 straight, and win the Super Bowl 100-0, and onside kick it deep into the 4th quarter. Some of these crybabies deserve it.

It's an unwritten code that all coaches/players respect much like in baseball when a player gets hit by the pitcher, the opposing pitcher knows he gotta go out there & hit or at least throw at the other guy to protect his boys. You think the hit batsmens' teammates care if a ball thrown in the right spot could end a guys season? No, they just want to be protected. Now, i'm sure they might feel bad later on if something of this magnitude happened, but that's an example of what could happen if players/coaches don't respect their opponent as professionals. By belichick doing what he's doing, he's saying to hell with everyone.

& It's not so simple as stopping them. You think none of these guys tried that throughout the course of the game? U think that none of these guys have pride? It's dangerous what belichick is doing & If some scrub from 1 of these teams was put in by the coach exclusively just to try & hurt brady or some of their other key players to help stop the unnecessary onslaught, people would think it was wrong, but i suppose you guys would have no problem with that either as long as it was within the time limits of the game.

Texan_Bill
11-20-2007, 01:30 PM
IMO, Bill is just flexing his extended muscles to the NFL. It's just another way for him to show everyone how much of a rebel he wants to be.

Not true... I am a low-keyed, conformist..... :jk:

Seriously, my only issue with running up the score is don't be suprised if it turns ugly. Dont forget, that other team has guys who are competitive by nature and very pridefull. If they lash out, it could cause injury and/or get real ugly - real fast.

Marcus
11-20-2007, 01:33 PM
Don't get an attitude because you got caught.

So you're saying that if he didn't "get caught", you'd be fine with the way the Patriots are winning?

HoustonFrog
11-20-2007, 01:35 PM

Seriously, my only issue with running up the score is don't be suprised if it turns ugly. Dont forget, that other team has guys who are competitive by nature and very pridefull. If they lash out, it could cause injury and/or get real ugly - real fast.

WORD!Nice post TB. That's been my contention all along. People who think it is cool or no big deal are just going to have to say the same thing when some scrub on Philly plays hard to the QB and hits him under the chin when he releases, etc. It just sets up ugly and sets up bad future events.

HoustonFrog
11-20-2007, 01:38 PM
So you're saying that if he didn't "get caught", you'd be fine with the way the Patriots are winning?

No, I'm saying that this his way of saying "Eff U" to the league because people are questioning their integrity because they got caught. He is trying to look like some victim that is proving a point when they just got caught. Its pretty much his way of sticking it to the commish and everyone else. I'd be fine with the way they were winning if they didn't have the above attitude. Beating the snot out of a team doesn't bother me. Adding insult to injury does.

HOU-TEX
11-20-2007, 01:39 PM

True, but the way I look at it is "you reap what you sow". As a fan I could care less. If I were a player I guess I'd retaliate in a heart beat.:wild:

I've never really been in that position. I played for SFA, but I was never a starter so it didn't seem to bother me as much as the regulars.

austintexanite
11-20-2007, 01:40 PM
I don't really care for him, he's good, but all this humble pie bullcrap is getting on my nerves. Personally, I don't like the fact that they run up the score. Opinions vary but I think they should go for field goals instead of going for fourth downs.

kastofsna
11-20-2007, 01:42 PM
it's rare that a coach gets constantly criticized for his playcalling that always works. just shows you how good they are.

Dread-Head
11-20-2007, 01:50 PM
He's one of the most arrogant men to EVER play the game of football. I remember Once he jokingly said in an interview with Pam Oliver:

"I've been in this league 4 years and already have three superbowl rings. How easy is this game?" The one saving grace this punk has is that he does NOT play for the Dallas Cowgirls, then I'd TRULY despise him rather than simply disliking him. By being a Patriot and NOT a Cowgirl he's on a team that has already equaled the accomplishments of the Cowgirls of the 90s and with one more superbowl will surpass them. If he played for them they'd already have a 7th superbowl...and I for one don't want to see that happening.

The Pats also have the habit of running up scores when they're up by 28 but I blame that on Belechek. The only teams in the NFL whom you have to bury with a HUGE point deficit because they will try to mount those "last second comebacks" on your @ss are The Steelers, Colts, Packers and Cowgirls. If you know that they can mount a two touch down drive on you then you have to beat them into a fine pulp. But again that's more Belechek than Brady. I'll give Thomasina the benefit of the doubt.

Marcus
11-20-2007, 01:51 PM
& It's not so simple as stopping them. You think none of these guys tried that throughout the course of the game? U think that none of these guys have pride? It's dangerous what belichick is doing & If some scrub from 1 of these teams was put in by the coach exclusively just to try & hurt brady or some of their other key players to help stop the unnecessary onslaught, people would think it was wrong, but i suppose you guys would have no problem with that either as long as it was within the time limits of the game.

Only jealous fans with their panties in a wad are that vindictive. The Patriots are playing good football, not dirty football.

Marcus
11-20-2007, 02:01 PM
I just wonder if some of you are more bent out of shape, not so much that Belichick wants to stick it to everyone, as much that he IS sticking it to everyone.

Belichick is a maverick, who happens to not care one bit what anyone thinks about him. He just could care less.

I admire that.

TexansSeminole
11-20-2007, 02:05 PM
If you are the superior team and you have already shown that you are the better team by a long shot then sportsmanship takes over and you play the game the right way. If the Pats were running 3rd string RB into the line, picking up 9 yards and got a TD, so be it. But they still throw, go for broke on 4th down and try for TDs, instead of FGs. Matter of opinion but to me that is bushleague. At that point in the game there is nothing you can practice or do that is going to change the situation.

Funny part is I can't stand the old whining Dolphins team and I hope they do win out. I was rooting for them to beat the Colts last year. I've liked the Pats...until this year. Don't get an attitude because you got caught.

I'd agree with your statement that it is bushleague if the Patriots 1st stringers somehow had an injury preventing shield around them. There are other reasons besides being courteous or a good sport that people don't play their starters in blow outs.

HoustonFrog
11-20-2007, 02:15 PM
Only jealous fans with their panties in a wad are that vindictive. The Patriots are playing good football, not dirty football.

I don't think anyone is saying they want the guy hurt. Its how they go about their game. Bill Cowher 2 weeks ago said the same thing...and sorry I respect his football opinion more than yours..lol. Obviously people watching that have been in the league are of the same opinion. No one is jealous of them. People think they are an incredible team that has gone over the line sportsmanship wise.

http://sports.aol.com/fanhouse/2007/10/31/bill-cowher-on-patriots-if-this-continues-someone-s-going-to/

"It's risk and reward," he said. "How long do you want your starters to play? You want to be careful. At some point if this continues, someone's going to take a cheap shot. Is that worth subjecting your players to if it comes to that?

"You can say it's playing football, but those are the decisions you have to make....

"I see a football team playing with a tremendous sense of purpose," Cowher said. "I'm not sure they're even looking at the scoreboard. The fact that they have the premier player in the game with the margins being what they are, that's Bill's (Belichick) prerogative. The risk he's weighing is that guys could get hurt in those situations. That's his decision as a coach and he has a right to do it."

Texan_Bill
11-20-2007, 02:28 PM
I'm pretty sure some old school players (ie Ray Nitscke, Dick Butkis, Art Donovan, Chuck Bednarik, insert others) would have retaliated and someone would have gotten hurt by now.

powerfuldragon
11-20-2007, 02:30 PM
it's rare that a coach gets constantly criticized for his playcalling that always works. just shows you how good they are.

yup.

Double Barrel
11-20-2007, 02:45 PM
yeah, but going for it on 4th down up 40 something - 10? against the offensively-challenged bills no less? that's blatant disrespect to your opponent as a professional. They didn't need that extra 4 points, Bill Belichick just has undies in a bunch b/c he got busted cheating & now he wants to pout like a &^%$.

newsflash bill, it's of your own doing, get over it.

This is pure speculation propagated by the media. We have absolutely no idea if BB is being vindictive about scoring.

Newsflash, Mr. Tex, this is pro football, get over it. :shades:

I'm in the "let them run up the score" boat. Football is not a gentlemen's sport. Football is about how hard you can bust the opponent in the mouth. If they are good enough to hang up 60 points a week, then let them do it. Thats just more fuel for the team the next week to want to knock them off their pedestal.

Apparently, some folks want to build a bonfire on the 50 yard line and roast marshmallows while holding hands and singing Kum Ba Yah.

The league is PC enough as it is without trying placate the hurt feelings of losing teams' players (and fans, obviously).

yep. QFT :howdy:

I'm hoping for a 19-0 run, too. I want them to be THE BEST team in history...just because, too.

Thats not completely true... I remember wishing the Oilers had taken it easy on another team once, because I was afraid of what the repercussions might be.... Well it was getting our hats handed to us by Sam Wyche and the Bengals 61-7

Sam Wyche said the only reason he ran the score up (kicking a FG with just seconds left on the clock) was because he hates Jerry Glanville with all his heart. Apparently, Sam still hates the dude to this day, as do the other AFC Central coaches from back in the day.

WORD!Nice post TB. That's been my contention all along. People who think it is cool or no big deal are just going to have to say the same thing when some scrub on Philly plays hard to the QB and hits him under the chin when he releases, etc. It just sets up ugly and sets up bad future events.

Peyton Manning said that defenses never gave him a break when the Colts were getting beat down and were behind by several scores. Do you understand that? Defenses don't stop trying to sack the QB at the end of blowouts, so why should QBs stop trying to score? BTW, Manning said he had NO PROBLEM with what the Patriots are doing, because he believes you never give up trying and never relax with any time on the board.

What I'd consider "classless" is dirty hits and the like. I guess that is a term that is subjective to the opinion holder, because I thinks the Patriots are a classy organization overall and wish the Texans would emulate their success. I'd have no problem putting a 60-3 score up against the Titans, FWIW.

HoustonFrog
11-20-2007, 02:56 PM
Peyton Manning said that defenses never gave him a break when the Colts were getting beat down and were behind by several scores. Do you understand that? Defenses don't stop trying to sack the QB at the end of blowouts, so why should QBs stop trying to score? BTW, Manning said he had NO PROBLEM with what the Patriots are doing, because he believes you never give up trying and never relax with any time on the board.

What I'd consider "classless" is dirty hits and the like. I guess that is a term that is subjective to the opinion holder, because I thinks the Patriots are a classy organization overall and wish the Texans would emulate their success. I'd have no problem putting a 60-3 score up against the Titans, FWIW.

Again, it is an agree to disagree argument. Obviously there are guys like Cowher who think it is going too far. So there are arguments by players and coaches on both sides. No one is saying that they should stop playing hard or that their scrubs shouldn't try and do their best. People are saying that if there is 2 minutes left and you are up by 28 and are throwing, you are crossing the line. People are saying that if you kick a FG and get points, fine but don't go for it on 4th and try get TDs when up by 40. There is a fine line they constantly cross. I'm sorry but I think it is naive to think that this just happens to be a constant subject week in and week out because of coincidence. Read Sports Guy or other writers like John Clayton. They all are saying the same thing...Bilichick wants to stick it to people. Sorry but I think he is an ass and at some point it will bite him. The Pats were always full of class...until this year.

Simmons and Clayton articles say it best

http://insider.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/bostonblog/071015&action=upsell&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fesp n%2fpage2%2fstory%3fpage%3dsimmons%2fbostonblog%2f 071015

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=clayton_john&id=3084539

That's why, on Sunday, he …

• … kept Brady on the field for an 88-yard drive six minutes into the fourth quarter despite already leading 38-0. On that 14-play drive, the Patriots went for a fourth-and-1 at the Redskins' 7 and ordered a 35-yard bomb to Randy Moss.

• … went for a fourth-and-2 at the Redskins' 37 on the next possession while leading 45-0. Backup QB Matt Cassel hit Jabar Gaffney with a 21-yard pass. Two plays later, Cassel scrambled for a 15-yard touchdown run to open up a 52-0 lead.

Asked why he would go for two fourth downs in a blowout, Belichick responded, "What do you want us to do, kick a field goal?"

Pressed further, he said, "It's 38-0. It's fourth down. We're just out there playing."

Still, there's no doubt what he's really doing. Redskins veterans Phillip Daniels and Marcus Washington, who have 18 years combined NFL experience, both said they had never seen a team run up the score the way the Patriots are doing.

Marcus
11-20-2007, 03:07 PM
This is real funny that the same people who complain that Belichick "is running up the score" . .

. . are the same people who wish we'd get a coach that would "play not to lose".

:gun:

HoustonFrog
11-20-2007, 03:12 PM
This is real funny that the same people who complain that Belichick "is running up the score" . .

. . are the same people who wish we'd get a coach that would "play not to lose".

:gun:

I think people are really oversimplifying the situation. You can score a ton of points. You can be up by 35 and have your scrubs in the 4th scoring every drive if they can't stop you. But read the last post of the last page. That isn't what is happening. It is intentionally putting up numbers despite the gametime situation and then calling off the dogs...maybe. I have no problem with superior teams doing incredible things. I just think there is a better way to do it. It just breeds ugliness. Obviously though people enjoy it.

Texan_Bill
11-20-2007, 03:12 PM
Sam Wyche said the only reason he ran the score up (kicking a FG with just seconds left on the clock) was because he hates Jerry Glanville with all his heart. Apparently, Sam still hates the dude to this day, as do the other AFC Central coaches from back in the day.

I know it wasn't necessarily born out of the Oilers running up the score, but it was Glanville's act that was perceived to be unsportsman, disrespectful and unprofessional...

Thats the point I was making; at some point someone is going to retaliate.

powerfuldragon
11-20-2007, 03:16 PM
real funny
what's really funny is the passion some people harbor evidenced by some of the dissertations in here.

Dread-Head
11-20-2007, 03:21 PM
Tom Brady and the Patriots along with Payton Manning and the Colts are accused of "running up scores" when they already have sizable leads. In a game where MISTER Warren Moon could have easily surpassed a passing record set by Norm "The Dutchman" VanBrockman and elected NOT to. Rather than passing for an easy 60 yards in a game where the Oilers already had a 3 TD lead Moon sent in Cody Carlson and the Oilers elected NOT to humiliate the Browns.
Does the NFL need more Mister Moons or should we simply cheer for the new breeds of qb's and coaches who don't want to risk a loss? What's YOUR take? :splits:

Hardcore Texan
11-20-2007, 03:23 PM

Yeah, he gives a whole new meaning to the "two-minute drill". :whip:

Texan_Bill
11-20-2007, 03:39 PM
Tom Brady and the Patriots along with Payton Manning and the Colts are accused of "running up scores" when they already have sizable leads. In a game where MISTER Warren Moon could have easily surpassed a passing record set by Norm "The Dutchman" VanBrockman and elected NOT to. Rather than passing for an easy 60 yards in a game where the Oilers already had a 3 TD lead Moon sent in Cody Carlson and the Oilers elected NOT to humiliate the Browns.
Does the NFL need more Mister Moons or should we simply cheer for the new breeds of qb's and coaches who don't want to risk a loss? What's YOUR take? :splits:

I thought Moon through for 527 against the KC Chiefs - but I get your point and remember the game well.

eriadoc
11-20-2007, 04:04 PM
If you are out there playing offense and you score, so be it. If you are out there playing offense, and the other team stops you on 3rd down, you're in FG range, and you're up by 4-5 TDs, just kick the damn FG. It's pathetic, really.

I don't have any stake in it, and I don't care, because we won't play the pats this year, but I can say this - I have done nothing but lose respect for the patriots organization all year long. Someone posted on the other thread about the Bills not earning the respect by stopping the pats - it's the pats I disrespect.

TexansSeminole
11-20-2007, 04:19 PM
The Pats were always full of class...until this year.

Probably because Belichick sees it did not get him anywhere. After the camcorder issue, people were calling the Patriots cheaters left and right. Nothing he did before the camcorder incident mattered, it was all about him cheating now. He probably realized that there is no reason to be classy and nice because that's not what this sport or league is really about.

jerek
11-20-2007, 04:26 PM
I have no problem with Brady ... I think he's an excellent player.

I have mixed feelings about the Pats running up the score.

HoustonFrog
11-20-2007, 04:38 PM
what's really funny is the passion some people harbor evidenced by some of the dissertations in here.

Passion for sportsmanship while watching greatness compared to ugliness and embarassing an opponent. Yes, I'm passionate about it. Call me silly for enjoying it for over 30 years.

StarStruck
11-20-2007, 10:03 PM
I have no problem with Brady. He is what he is -- a great QB.

kastofsna
11-21-2007, 01:09 AM
the Patriots were "classy" before this year because they didn't have the potential to blow everyone out like they do now. i don't buy the idea at all that they're doing this because they're trying to get even for the spying thing--no, they're doing it because that's how damn good they are.

Mr teX
11-21-2007, 08:27 AM
Tell the other teams D to stop them. If they are running up the score knock Brady on his butt and stop them.

yeah, they'll stop them by flopping on brady's leg & tearing it up carson palmer style. Then everyone will be saying " that was totally uncalled for..." yada yada yada.

Dread-Head
11-21-2007, 08:31 AM
[/QUOTE]Week 6 vs. Dallas (48-27): 1-yard TD run by Kyle Eckel, 0:19 left.

This is only up until that game. In the position they were in this week you kick the FG and play it like normal. The went for it on 4th twice and the one time was to punch it in the end zone. Sorry, its classless no matter how you try to spin a couple of once in a lifetime comebacks. Texans/Titans isn't the Patriots, their defense or their offense. [/QUOTE]

Normally I would agree...BUT it was against the Cowboys. Much like their bretheren the COCKROACH the Cowgirls have a habit of coming back. Remember that game agains the Bills earlier this season? In the last two minutes of the game the Bills had a 14 point lead. The Cowgirls came back, sent it into overtime and won it. If it's the 4th quarter and you have a 14 point lead over Dallas I have three words for you...SCORE! SCORE SCORE!
If you don't bury those guys you run the risk of reading their "heroic" come from behind victory. Screw that! If it's a team that has a shot at that miracle comeback (and there are only a handful of teams to whom that applies) obliterate them. Duck Fallas!

GlassHalfFull
11-21-2007, 08:35 AM
Normally I would agree...BUT it was against the Cowboys. Much like their bretheren the COCKROACH the Cowgirls have a habit of coming back. Remember that game agains the Bills earlier this season? In the last two minutes of the game the Bills had a 14 point lead. The Cowgirls came back, sent it into overtime and won it. If it's the 4th quarter and you have a 14 point lead over Dallas I have three words for you...SCORE! SCORE SCORE!
If you don't bury those guys you run the risk of reading their "heroic" come from behind victory. Screw that! If it's a team that has a shot at that miracle comeback (and there are only a handful of teams to whom that applies) obliterate them. Duck Fallas!

You must spread rep around ..... LOL

adam
11-21-2007, 08:43 AM
Hell, I love it. I have Brady AND Moss on my fanatsy team. :shades:

Texans_Chick
11-21-2007, 08:49 AM
I love Tom Brady.

He makes The Peyton cry.

And, he was a good enough sport to do this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-4jGhCIqD0Y&NR=1

That is freaking hilarious, I don't care who you are.

HOU-TEX
11-21-2007, 09:07 AM
I love Tom Brady.

He makes The Peyton cry.

That was a good one, but you have to admit Mannings commercials are pretty funny.

This one is hillarious. From Saturday Night Live, I believe.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P7W2PdICJzg&feature=related

Texans_Chick
11-21-2007, 09:09 AM
That was a good one, but you have to admit Mannings commercials are pretty funny.

This one is hillarious. From Saturday Night Live, I believe.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P7W2PdICJzg&feature=related

One of the SNL sketches involved Manning with his shirt off. I don't want to ever see that again.

Brady in underwear (even tighty whiteys) >>>>> Manning with shirt off.

dannyboy
11-21-2007, 09:13 AM
What exactly is the job of an NFL player/coach on gameday? Please remember that these guys are professionals who are PAID to do a job.

So is it their job to:

a) Players/Coach - Win the game. Period. End of story.

Or

b) Players - When called upon, perform your assigned duties (run, catch, pass, punt, tackle, kick, block, etc.) to the best of your ability for as long as you are called upon to do so.

Coach - Put players in the best position to do their job collectively, regardless of opponent, for at least SIXTY MINUTES, once a week, for 16+ weeks.

If the answer is a), then there needs to be some type of consensus on when the job has been accomplished, since “running up the score” is essentially saying “the game has already been won”. Maybe some type of chart can be created (i.e. 30 pt. lead/15 min left, 25 pt lead/10 min left, 20 pt/ 5 min left, etc.) that clarifies when a game has been won. When that point is reached, the scoreboard should be shut off, both teams should leave the field, and the fans should go home, since one team has done their job (in this admittedly oversimplified scenario, only one team should be paid).

If the answer is b), then the NE players/coach are doing their job. They just happen to be consistently and profoundly better at doing their respective jobs than the opposition this season.

HOU-TEX
11-21-2007, 09:16 AM
One of the SNL sketches involved Manning with his shirt off. I don't want to ever see that again.

Brady in underwear (even tighty whiteys) >>>>> Manning with shirt off.

Well, I was looking at the comedic side of the commercials. IMO, from the looks of Bradys legs and Peytons upper body they might need to hit the wieght room more often. :cool:

HoustonFrog
11-21-2007, 09:18 AM
the Patriots were "classy" before this year because they didn't have the potential to blow everyone out like they do now. i don't buy the idea at all that they're doing this because they're trying to get even for the spying thing--no, they're doing it because that's how damn good they are.

Completely Naive...you and ,.....well you don't think they are trying to prove a point. Their own sportswriters and most others think the opposite.

StarStruck
11-21-2007, 09:49 AM
[quote]Week 6 vs. Dallas (48-27): 1-yard TD run by Kyle Eckel, 0:19 left.

This is only up until that game. In the position they were in this week you kick the FG and play it like normal. The went for it on 4th twice and the one time was to punch it in the end zone. Sorry, its classless no matter how you try to spin a couple of once in a lifetime comebacks. Texans/Titans isn't the Patriots, their defense or their offense.

Normally I would agree...BUT it was against the Cowboys

Cowboys would have been better served in not committing penalties that caused bigger obstacles than we already had. Oops there it is!

I don't have a problem with Brady or running the score. If they are in scoring range and can score why go for a field goal instead of a touchdown? Both equal points, difference of four, wow! It appears that in most instances, the greater chance of not scoring would be going for the TD, as many times teams (even the Patriots) the chance is still there that they won't make the one yard. Suppose the RB doesn't get the one, or in an ever so rare occasion, the pass is incomplete, then the ball goes over on downs. Missing a field goal would probably be harder even though it is for fewer points. Why is it ok in college and not the pros? I recall a certain high school where the athletic director demanded that the team not run up scores. As good as the team was, it isn't that impressive if looking back through records and seeing them only beating the worst in the district by 14 points. Anyone not knowing better would think that they barely won most of their game, so how could they be that great.

In going back to the game on Sunday, the Patriots did sit out their starters in the fourth quarter. Imagine if they didn't. In looking at the season so far, I think in most cases the Patriots could have easily scored two, three more TDs if they really wanted to. If a team can score four TDs in the first quarter
with ease, then they could probably score 100 in four.

powerfuldragon
11-21-2007, 10:30 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v15/TheKingOfBums/bridgetmoynahan-09.jpg

powerfuldragon
11-21-2007, 10:31 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v15/TheKingOfBums/xin_2708030717067511652863.jpg

HoustonFrog
11-21-2007, 10:59 AM
Well said powerfuldragon:)

kastofsna
11-21-2007, 11:15 AM
Completely Naive...you and ,.....well you don't think they are trying to prove a point. Their own sportswriters and most others think the opposite.
you keep saying "most people think the opposite" but you haven't really backed that up with anything. pretty much everyone here thinks the opposite of what you think. pretty much every sportsradio guy i've heard has agreed with my sentiment.

beerlover
11-21-2007, 11:32 AM
seems to me Brady is just living the dream, no need to hate him for that, he is like Nameth on steriods :specnatz:

HoustonFrog
11-21-2007, 11:36 AM
you keep saying "most people think the opposite" but you haven't really backed that up with anything. pretty much everyone here thinks the opposite of what you think. pretty much every sportsradio guy i've heard has agreed with my sentiment.

What do you mean. I've posted articles by John Clayton, Bill Simmons and I could fine 30 more from national outlets. Bill Cowher has spoken about it and warned about the retaliation. Sorry that I trust my opinion jiving with these guys more than someone who likes to stir sheet. I couldn't give a rats about random people here who think it is "cool" to show no sportsmanship. Agreeing or disagreeing on whether it is classy is one thing. Not thinking they are operating any differently is completely dense to me. Sorry, I'm an ass about it but you are being blind to the fact that they have an agenda and a chip on their shoulder. No skin off my back...I hope they keep winning....until the maybe face Dallas again. I just have a difference of opinion on how they do it

Specnatz
11-21-2007, 11:44 AM

I am not sure who you are listening to, maybe it is that loud mouth that is on PTI on occassion but to say almost everyone agrees with you is pretty foolish. I have heard national guys who do not like it and I have heard national guys who say you do not like it stop them.

This is a pretty even debate. Normally I do not have a problem with what you post until you get this big head and you think everything you spew is gospil. Well I am here to say it is not "pretty much everyone" it is more like 50/50.

Geez I hate people who think every damn thing they say is right and everyone is wrong type of bullshit.

HoustonFrog
11-21-2007, 11:56 AM
I am not sure who you are listening to, maybe it is that loud mouth that is on PTI on occassion but to say almost everyone agrees with you is pretty foolish. I have heard national guys who do not like it and I have heard national guys who say you do not like it stop them.

This is a pretty even debate. Normally I do not have a problem with what you post until you get this big head and you think everything you spew is gospil. Well I am here to say it is not "pretty much everyone" it is more like 50/50.

Geez I hate people who think every damn thing they say is right and everyone is wrong type of bullshit.

I agree with this. I've heard both. My comments to him originally was in reference to almost of the Boston media I have read or heard. They are 50/50 on liking it though. As I said above, I can honestly see a debate being split on whether they are running up the score/being classy but I think it is naive to think that they aren't trying to twist the needle to the league and commish with what they are doing. They didn't operate this way with top teams in any year but this.

WWJD
11-21-2007, 12:08 PM
I've heard Bill Cowher speak of all this and he said you can book it..one day somebody will retaliate against Brady. And I'm guessing he would know. Being a player, coach and all.....

Double Barrel
11-21-2007, 12:26 PM
Defenses are trying to kill QBs regardless of situations. Just ask Schaub.

Greatness shouldn't be confused with lack of sportsmanship

FOXBORO - The New England Patriots are running up the score, or so they say.

I tried to keep away from the boring counter-argument, but I couldn't any longer. The Patriots are chomping at the history books and millions of people can't handle the truth.

But I'll give it to them any way.

Here are the 10 reasons why the Patriots are, or make that aren't running up the score:

1. Football coaches are like whales.

Bill Belichick is smarter than Ahab of "Moby Dick" fame. He knows NFL coaches never, ever forget. If he were truly trying to embarrass the other team, hence the other head coach, he would never be forgiven.

2. Randy Moss can't be stopped.

Let's be honest. This guy has changed everything. Tom Brady went from a probable "Hall of Famer" to the "best of all-time" in a just a few short months. Teams have tried double- and even triple-coverage, but to no avail. This is not the Patriots' problem. If he isn't slowed down, then these claims will probably continue.

3. Wes Welker can't be stopped either.

If Moss is covered, which happens from time to time, Welker is usually open. Welker's season (third in catches with 67; tied for sixth with 7 TDs) has been overlooked. Moss is grace, Welker is quickness. Welker has fed off teams focusing on Moss and would be a No. 1 on almost every other team.

Welker is more of a move-the-chains receiver. Apparently, it is impossible to double-team two receivers.

4. Offensive line might be the MVPs of the team.

The untold story of this season's success is the protection Brady has received. While Drew Brees has been sacked two fewer times than Brady (8 vs. 10), make no mistake about the time the Patriots QB has had to find receivers. It is unprecedented.

Brady, who is noted for finding time in the pocket, has received very little pressure. He has not been sacked in half of the games the Patriots have played. Center Dan Koppen, right guard Nick Kaczur, right tackle Stephen Neal, left guard Logan Mankins and left tackle Matt Light have allowed Brady to be the league MVP. Blame them for blowouts as much as anybody.

5. Players want and need to play 60 minutes.

Tom Brady said it best yesterday on WEEI: "Sunday is the day you live for in the NFL, and I want to play."

What happens if you take "key" players out of the game after three quarters? They don't get in four-quarter shape, which means they might not be there physically or mentally for the one or two times they do get pushed.

If we were talking one or two games, fine, take them out. But what happens when, like the Patriots, eight out of 10 games are over at halftime? What do you get out of handing the ball to an unknown running back into the middle of the line? Nothing.

6. Pats are too good for the league.

This is the problem. The Patriots are playing at one level, which is two levels above most NFL teams. The Patriots are dominating nearly every game from the opening kick. Brady and Moss just happen to make it look so embarrassingly easy.

The funny thing is that this was supposed to be the best NFL season, with several AFC teams having a shot at the throne. But San Diego, Cincinnati and Denver have been frauds. And the other teams are simply good, which is light years from what the Patriots are.

7. The defense is better than people think.

Here's a novel approach: Score on the Patriots. If teams would run and pass the ball better, maybe Brady & Co. on offense wouldn't be as nasty. The problem might be that while the offense earns the headlines for "embarrassing" the opponent, the defense is just as dominating.

The defense has allowed the third fewest points in the league (Steelers, 145; Buccaneers, 151; Patriots, 157). If they weren't so good, these games might be a few touchdowns closer in the fourth quarter, hence, no running up the score.

8. The Patriots are playing possessed.

People say it's "spygate," but I disagree. The Patriots started these blowouts on opening day, jumping ahead of the Jets 28-7 midway through the third quarter and haven't looked back. They added three premier receivers and the prize of free agency, Adalius Thomas, on defense. All of the newbies came here to win a championship, including and especially Moss. When your best players are possessed, it seems to filter down to the masses.

9. The running game is the Pats' weakness.

Why don't the Patriots run the football with a five-touchdown lead? Because they're not that great at it, that's why. Also, running the football when the other team knows you are going to do it leads to injuries. The Patriots are not a power-running team. They are a pass-first offense, running more in a sneaky way. Is this so hard to understand?

10. Tom Brady is having the best season ever.

Brady is not great anymore. He is the best ... ever ... at least through 10 games. Brady happens to have a mind made for his position.

He knows where everyone is supposed to be and he's cool enough under pressure to wait until they get open (Remember Drew Bledsoe's happy-feet with too much time in the pocket?) When you add in Moss, Welker and the offensive line to what Brady already brings to the table, well, it's unfair.

The bottom line is this. The Patriots are probably going to score 40 points or more every week. And in the fourth quarter, Brady will probably throw the ball with a big lead. Those are facts. Quit complaining and deal with it because it doesn't appear it's going to change.

Source (http://www.eagletribune.com/pusports/local_story_325093837?keyword=secondarystory+page= 3)

And Tom Brady's message to all the softer football fans:

Tom Brady Talks About Running Up the Score (http://sports.aol.com/fanhouse/2007/11/04/tom-brady-talks-about-running-up-the-score/)

Brando
11-21-2007, 12:35 PM

Tom Brady Talks About Running Up the Score (http://sports.aol.com/fanhouse/2007/11/04/tom-brady-talks-about-running-up-the-score/)

That pretty much sums it up. Thanks DB.

Bottom line is if you don't want them to score then do something about it.

HoustonFrog
11-21-2007, 12:36 PM

Again, one articles opinion vs. articles and quotes I posted. We could sit here all day bud. Of course my articles and quotes are ignored. (rolling eyes)Its not going to solve it. I just don't get how people can't see that they are pushing the envelope since Week 1. What they are doing...the 4th downs up 38-0 v Skins and last week, etc is not normal course of business.

That pretty much sums it up. Thanks DB.

Bottom line is if you don't want them to score then do something about it.

Again, that would make perfect sense if you had your backups in up by 40.

Double Barrel
11-21-2007, 12:44 PM
Like Brady also said, these are WRs that he is just working with the first time this season. So any extra reps, especially in game situations against first team defenses, is a chance to continue to work on improving their game.

He is not sorry that they are not quitters, which is obviously what some folks are asking of them.

HoustonFrog
11-21-2007, 12:44 PM
Here I'll make it easy for those who refuse to read but like to counter all the time

Clayton:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=clayton_john&id=3084539

On Sunday, Belichick kicked a Hall of Fame coach while he was down, running up the score on Joe Gibbs' Redskins in a 52-7 win. This comes a week after Belichick reinserted quarterback Tom Brady midway through the fourth quarter of a 49-28 win over the Dolphins.

What seemed cute three weeks when Kyle Eckel scored late on a 1-yard run during the Pats' 48-27 win in Dallas has turned ugly.

Welcome to Belichick's no-mercy policy.

Cowher:

http://sports.aol.com/fanhouse/2007/10/31/bill-cowher-on-patriots-if-this-continues-someone-s-going-to/

Cowher seems to think that by keeping Tom Brady in games that are already out of reach, Bill Belichick is taking a chance that someone will go for Brady's knee:

"It's risk and reward," he said. "How long do you want your starters to play? You want to be careful. At some point if this continues, someone's going to take a cheap shot. Is that worth subjecting your players to if it comes to that?

"You can say it's playing football, but those are the decisions you have to make....

"I see a football team playing with a tremendous sense of purpose," Cowher said. "I'm not sure they're even looking at the scoreboard. The fact that they have the premier player in the game with the margins being what they are, that's Bill's (Belichick) prerogative. The risk he's weighing is that guys could get hurt in those situations. That's his decision as a coach and he has a right to do it."

Simmons

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/bostonblog/071015

You might remember me bringing this up in my Week 4 picks column: "Yeah, it's wrong to run up the score. I'd be the first one to admit it. But it's a natural reaction to the way they were vilified for two straight weeks. The rest of the nation turned them into a mutant cross between Cobra Kai and the Yankees, so screw it, they're acting like the Cobra Kai Yankees. Can you blame them? I can't answer that one objectively, so I won't try. But if you don't think they'll be running up the score in Cincinnati on Monday night, you're crazy."

Profootball Weekly

http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW/NFL/AFC/AFC+East/New+England/Spins/2007/spin102907.htm

Whether or not you believe running up the score is unsportsmanlike is a completely personal choice; There’s no golden rule that governs it. However, there are three certainties you can take away from not only this contest, but prior Patriots romps as well:

1) The Patriots are, in fact, running up the score.
2) They are trying to embarrass every team along the way.
3) They’re doing a darn fine job of it.

Again, we could sit here all day. But I like and respect these guys and their opinions

HoustonFrog
11-21-2007, 12:45 PM
Like Brady also said, these are WRs that he is just working with the first time this season. So any extra reps, especially in game situations against first team defenses, is a chance to continue to work on improving their game.

He is not sorry that they are not quitters, which is obviously what some folks are asking of them.

You won't be quitting if you aren't in the game in the 4th and up by 38 or 45. Its that simple. What will you be working on with a beaten down defense. Over 11 weeks and you are still working on things as you go undefeated?Give me a break.

powerfuldragon
11-21-2007, 12:46 PM
opinions are like a--

Double Barrel
11-21-2007, 12:49 PM
opinions are like a--

and they all stink!

HoustonFrog
11-21-2007, 12:54 PM
and they all stink!

Yes they do. Especially in this thread. I have to be thankful soon..if I don't see you fellas the rest of the week, enjoy.

kastofsna
11-21-2007, 01:00 PM
none of the folks you posted are really negative about it, HF. Cowher is only talking about it from an injury standpoint.

OF COURSE they're running up the score. but is it a bad thing? seems very few educated minds think so.

HoustonFrog
11-21-2007, 01:07 PM
none of the folks you posted are really negative about it, HF. Cowher is only talking about it from an injury standpoint.

OF COURSE they're running up the score. but is it a bad thing? seems very few educated minds think so.

Very well educated thank you. :shades: I don't think a sample size from this board makes your argument, though educated. Again, it seems to be all over the board with public opinion. Cowher brings it up because of the implication of it being bushleague.

Considering above you said they weren't deviating from the norm and now you are admitting they are running it up, I'm not sure what your point is except you really think it is fun that they are destroying people. Fine if that is it. But I don't think a differing opinion is too bad.

Again, enjoy the holiday

kastofsna
11-21-2007, 01:55 PM
if they differed from the norm, then they wouldn't be running up the score. teams that keep doing what they're doing with a huge lead are running up the score.

Double Barrel
11-21-2007, 02:15 PM
I never hear Nascar driver's complain that they get beat by a couple of laps. They go pedal to the metal until the black and white flag is waved. Same for the Pats!

It's all good to agree to disagree. Diversity of opinions is what makes this place tick. It's all good.

Have a happy turkey day, frogman! :)

Mr teX
11-21-2007, 02:18 PM

You're not quitting if you still continue to score whether that's a greedy TD or a mercy FG. Getting points didn't matter either way, so why this need to go for it on 4th & 1 & get a TD instead of just taking a FG? There isn't any shame in those at that point, you've already flexed your muscle & established that you're the better team & the game's almost over. It's the equivalent of a boxer continuing to pound a guy while he's knocked out cold on the canvas. Yeah there's a possibility he could get up & win, but it ain't likely.

You can't possibly believe that Belichick doesn't have an agenda & if you do then you're naive.

kastofsna
11-21-2007, 02:37 PM
how many opposing coaches have complained about this.

Texan_Bill
11-21-2007, 02:41 PM
how many opposing coaches have complained about this.

None... No one ever would, its called professionalism - but it doesn't mean they don't resent it. Irrespective of what Joe Gibbs said to the media, his expressions said plenty. He was pissed.

Double Barrel
11-21-2007, 03:39 PM
You're not quitting if you still continue to score whether that's a greedy TD or a mercy FG. Getting points didn't matter either way, so why this need to go for it on 4th & 1 & get a TD instead of just taking a FG? There isn't any shame in those at that point, you've already flexed your muscle & established that you're the better team & the game's almost over. It's the equivalent of a boxer continuing to pound a guy while he's knocked out cold on the canvas. Yeah there's a possibility he could get up & win, but it ain't likely.

You can't possibly believe that Belichick doesn't have an agenda & if you do then you're naive.

I'm not a big fan of the 4th down issue and have no idea of why Belichick makes the call outside of having an agenda.

That being said, I still don't have a problem with it. It's a brutal philosophy, but it's legal in the NFL. They are a team that goes for the jugular and doesn't let up until that carcass is cold. I respect the killer instinct, because my teams never seem to have it.

adam
11-21-2007, 04:25 PM
I love Tom Brady.

He makes The Peyton cry.

Haha. I like the tit shake.

Brando
11-21-2007, 04:44 PM
Again, that would make perfect sense if you had your backups in up by 40.

Players want and need to play 60 minutes.

This is another good point. If they take their players out early after mounting huge leads they wouldn't be prepared for playing 60 minutes of NFL football especially come playoff time.

adam
11-21-2007, 04:51 PM
You know, this whole running up the score business is nonsense. If you don't want the Pats to put up 56 points on you...then why not make a defensive play, rather than ***** and moan when they continue to pass with a large lead? Running up the score can be blamed on opposing defenses not showing up, not on the offense good enough to pull it off.

Dread-Head
11-21-2007, 08:42 PM
if they differed from the norm, then they wouldn't be running up the score. teams that keep doing what they're doing with a huge lead are running up the score.

There has to come a point when you must realize that if you have a 28 point lead, all three time outs AND the ball after the two minute warning and your opponet is out of time outs...YOU'VE WON THE DAMN GAME! Give the ball to your running back on consecutive plays and don't let him anywhere NEAR the sidelines. Keep the clock running and if you don't make a first down to keep the clock going. Go for that feild goal and give yourself another three points. I've never seen anybody score FOUR touchdowns after the two minute warning.

(the preceding doesn't apply against the Fallas Cowgirls...BURY those muff-huggas.)

Runner
11-21-2007, 10:13 PM
Very typical of today's society. Somebody is the absolute best at what they do? Tear them down.

TexansSeminole
11-22-2007, 01:17 PM
None... No one ever would, its called professionalism - but it doesn't mean they don't resent it. Irrespective of what Joe Gibbs said to the media, his expressions said plenty. He was pissed.

To be honest, that makes me think less of Gibbs than Belichick. If Gibbs wants to pout and whine after the game than I would lose some respect. Belichick is just doing his job...its too bad he is so good at it he is hated for it.

Wolf
11-22-2007, 01:30 PM
this isn't the ad I saw in the paper, but someone with photoshop could have brokeback all over it
http://www.withleather.com//ul/892-brady3.jpg
http://www.withleather.com/post.phtml?pk=4075

sadly that was the first thing that came to my warped mine

As far as the pats...and running up the score... I admit I am green with envious.. mainly because they are like the colts(before this year) ..the franchise has had good luck with gettting players cheap and no injuries

while for 5 years Texans have struggled with injuries and drafting.

I am flat out envious of that franchise

BTW I don't wish injuries on anyone. I just wished the Texans franchise could have had good luck from the beginning with Bosellli,ryan young, Charles Spencer, DD (DW), benny Joppru,etc ... I'd love to have seen how this franchise could have done with everyone staying healthy(as in not serious injuries)

Admittance is first step to recovery

Marcus
11-22-2007, 05:17 PM
To the mod who changed the thread title from "Why do you NOT like Tom Brady" . . to . . "Why do you NOT like Tom Brady & Running Up the Score" . .

PM me please.

JayCee
11-24-2007, 05:11 PM
Since I'm relatively new to this sport I was surprised to learn that running up the score is seen as poor sportsmanship. I'm of the opinion, if you're not good enough then you're going to pay, and nothing is going to motivate a team more to train harder etc if they are embarrassed by the opposition.

In Rugby a lot of the tournaments actually promote the winning team going for more points so they can get a bonus point in the standings table (e.g. score 4 tries or more and you'll get an extra bonus point). So even if the game is clearly over, the winning team will still go all out to score more tries for either the bonus point (if they don't already have it) or for points differential which might be a factor when deciding who will make the playoffs. Which makes for an more entertaining game instead of the winning team just closing out the game.

Is there a difference in opinion with college football? I've notice the poor sportsmanship argument isn't brought up when teams are being hammered in college football games (like the UH game right now).

I admire the Pats, they make it look so easy.

kastofsna
11-24-2007, 05:39 PM
it's a much bigger deal in college football, because when a weaker opponent is clearly outmatched athletically, it's just not fair to keep pounding them. but most teams will remove all the starters before it gets too ugly. unlike Houston in the early 90's.

Marcus
11-24-2007, 08:11 PM
it's a much bigger deal in college football, because when a weaker opponent is clearly outmatched athletically, it's just not fair to keep pounding them. but most teams will remove all the starters before it gets too ugly. unlike Houston in the early 90's.

Completely agree with that. There are instances of athletic mismatches in college ball for a variety of reasons, all legitimate. But when you have 32 professional football teams in a league where parity is the rule, to accuse or complain about some team of running up the score . . that does nothing more than just further ridicule and embarrass the losing team.

sakebomb
11-25-2007, 07:51 AM
I'm sure we have all been on teams in all sports in which we got our asses kicked. It sucks but you keep on fighting and try to stop them (or at least get the game over with). I never started crying to the other team to stop. I'm pretty sure you guys didn't either. You take you ass kickin' like a man and go on. No big deal.

Giant Tiger
11-25-2007, 09:36 AM

Exactly. This goes both ways. If you're ahead & you ease up & play with one hand tied behind your back; then the team that's losing should ease up as well. Otherwise you'll get stabbed in the back. If I was coaching a team that lost a game like that, I would ensure that would never happen again. Even if it was 77-0 late in the 4th, I'd still score. Better to have opponents hate you than laugh at you.They'll soon forget the numbers Tom Brady put up, but they'll always remember 35-3 with a laugh. They still do.

Wolf
11-25-2007, 10:35 AM
I am thinking this thread will be alive for a couple of years (barring injury) NE, is going to get a heck of a football player with the way S.F. is playing

Hottoddie
11-25-2007, 11:25 AM
It's just the system. That's it, Brady is just a product of the system. I'll bet you could plug Carr in there & they wouldn't miss a beat. Lol

So, in conclusion, I hate Brady because he's a fraud. He's in "The System". :D

adam
11-25-2007, 11:42 AM
It's just the system. That's it, Brady is just a product of the system. I'll bet you could plug Carr in there & they wouldn't miss a beat. Lol

So, in conclusion, I hate Brady because he's a fraud. He's in "The System". :D

While New England does have a great system, I don't think that is a very fair thing to say. A system can't throw the ball to the right spot on the field. The system doesn't make those split second decisions during the play. Love him or hate him, Tom Brady is the best QB in the league because of his awareness and ability to put the football exactly where it needs to be. The system helps, but to say that Brady is a fraud or, even more ridiculous, that Carr could lead that team just as well is silly.

Hottoddie
11-25-2007, 07:00 PM
While New England does have a great system, I don't think that is a very fair thing to say. A system can't throw the ball to the right spot on the field. The system doesn't make those split second decisions during the play. Love him or hate him, Tom Brady is the best QB in the league because of his awareness and ability to put the football exactly where it needs to be. The system helps, but to say that Brady is a fraud or, even more ridiculous, that Carr could lead that team just as well is silly.

I assume you took note of the Lol & :D? :winky: