PDA

View Full Version : Bush says he has nothing to prove to Texans

Brando
11-17-2007, 02:09 PM
Reggie Bush insists that he has nothing to prove on Sunday, when New Orleans Saints play the Houston Texans.

Bypassed by the Texans when they selected defensive end Mario Williams with the first overall pick in the 2006 NFL draft, Bush will be playing Houston for the first time in his professional career.

The Saints selected Bush No. 2 overall, but the 2005 Heisman Trophy winner said he's not out to prove that the Texans should have selected him instead of Williams last year.

He said if anyone has something to prove, it's Williams.

"I feel like it's more of a negative thing for (Williams) and not for me," Bush said during a recent conference call. "People are always comparing, people are always saying how Houston made a mistake. But it is what it is and I'm not worried about it, I'm sure he's not worried about it, but like I said it's more of a negative story for him than me."

"Right now our team is in the position where we can't afford to lose any more games, so my first concern is getting this win."

Link (http://www.shreveporttimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20071117/SPORTS/711170316/1001/SPORTS)

Double Barrel
11-17-2007, 02:18 PM
B.S.

With all his commercial hype and publicly aired 'hurt feelings', I think he's downplaying the chip on his shoulder. His ego wanted the status of being the first overall pick, and he has something to prove to Houston if he wants to admit it or not.

Hopefully, though, our pick will prove that it was the worthwhile choice by stuffing the run and keeping Bush in check at the line of scrimmage.

tulexan
11-17-2007, 02:43 PM
This is Mario's chance. After all of the sh!t he's heard over the past two years about how much he sucks compared to Reggie, he can show the world that he was in fact the correct pick.

Now, I know if he had been consistently played well this wouldn't even be an issue, but hopefully he can use this game as extra motivation to bring his game to a different level.

thundergod
11-17-2007, 03:57 PM
No matter what they both say ya gotta know that this game does mean something to them both. I just want a Saints win, nohing more nothing less.

Xetuoh1836
11-17-2007, 04:14 PM
No matter what they both say ya gotta know that this game does mean something to them both. I just want a Saints win, nohing more nothing less.

I'd have to agree but, with a Texans point of view!

I just want a win and for the Saint's to go marching home! Tail between the leg's, of course!:fans:

Carr Bombed
11-17-2007, 04:23 PM
Bush is right, he doesn't need to prove to the Texans that he was worth the #1 pick...........he still needs to prove to the league and other backs, that he's better than most of the other runningbacks that were drafted behind him and in lower rounds first.

I mean, Bush has already proven he wasn't worth the #1 pick or the #2 pick for that matter.......really the top 3 players in that draft are starting to prove that they weren't worth their draft position.

rickyb
11-18-2007, 09:01 AM

There is a reason why the NFL scheduled this game, after all.

tulexan
11-18-2007, 11:04 AM
There is a reason why the NFL scheduled this game, after all.

This game was scheduled before Reggie or Mario was drafted.

RazorOye
11-18-2007, 01:08 PM
Bush has a lot to prove to not just the Texans - but the entire NFL and - most importantly - to us Saints fans.

Williams should have a big day playing opposite Strief.

mike moffat
11-18-2007, 02:29 PM
I want Bush to take his sorry ass back to N.O. with another loss. That's all.

GP
11-18-2007, 03:12 PM
Well...from what I have seen today, Bush is right:

He has NOTHING....to prove.

rickyb
11-18-2007, 03:27 PM
This game was scheduled before Reggie or Mario was drafted.

Dude, never let the truth get in the way of a good story.

brakos82
11-18-2007, 03:32 PM
Bush: 13att, 26yds, 0TD, 2FUM
Dayne: 14att, 51yds, 0TD

Reggie who? :fans:

TexansSeminole
11-18-2007, 03:43 PM
Bush: 13att, 26yds, 0TD, 2FUM
Dayne: 14att, 51yds, 0TD

Reggie who? :fans:

Let's make it a little more fair, and a little more realistic. Don't know if that helps or hurts Bush considering he is suppose to be a better receiver than runner.

EDIT-Bush: 15 carries 34 yards, 8 catches 40 yards 2 fumbles
Dayne Train: 15 carries 54 yards, 3 catches 26 yards.

brakos82
11-18-2007, 03:44 PM
Let's make it a little more fair, and a little more realistic. Don't know if that helps or hurts Bush considering he is suppose to be a better receiver than runner.

Bush: 14 carries 28 yards, 6 catches 37 yards 2 fumbles
Dayne Train: 15 carries 54 yards, 3 catches 26 yards.
Dayne still has more yards per touch than Reggie. :shades:

TexansSeminole
11-18-2007, 03:45 PM
Dayne still has more yards per touch than Reggie. :shades:

Agreed.

NO really going to Bush this drive. 4 straight plays to him now.

GuerillaBlack
11-18-2007, 04:09 PM
Dayne had more rushing yards today than Bush had total yards.

TexansSeminole
11-18-2007, 04:09 PM
I guess we should update to:

BUSH

15 carries 34 yards 2 fumbles on the ground.

12 catches 70 yards as a receiver.

That's 27 touches for 104 yards 3.85 yards per touch.

Wolf
11-18-2007, 04:14 PM

BUSH

tough day for him

too Bad DD's (DW) career ended too soon, even though I was harsh on DD when he was playing, he easily could have matched those numbers and without the high price tag..without the T.O.

Thorn
11-18-2007, 04:15 PM
Bush will never live up to his hype. vince Young might, and so might Mario.

But Bush will not live up to the hype.

TexansSeminole
11-18-2007, 04:16 PM
tough day for him

too Bad DD's (DW) career ended too soon, even though I was harsh on DD when he was playing, he easily could have matched those numbers and without the high price tag..without the T.O.

DD did what Reggie is trying to do in the NFL. He was just much, much better at it.

awtysst
11-18-2007, 04:18 PM
B.S.

With all his commercial hype and publicly aired 'hurt feelings', I think he's downplaying the chip on his shoulder. His ego wanted the status of being the first overall pick, and he has something to prove to Houston if he wants to admit it or not.

Hopefully, though, our pick will prove that it was the worthwhile choice by stuffing the run and keeping Bush in check at the line of scrimmage.

And he did. He showed us how to fumble the ball twice, rush for an average of 2.26 ypc, and catch balls at a 5.83 ypc. He really showed us today!
:sarcasm:

TexSon
11-18-2007, 04:19 PM

That is an absolutely ATROCIOUS average for receptions and rushes combined. Atrocious I say!

TheIronDuke
11-18-2007, 04:19 PM
In Reggie's defense, he fumbled twice as much as the amount of fumbles that Mario forced. Take this stat as you will.

TexansMVP
11-18-2007, 04:24 PM
In Reggie's defense, he fumbled twice as much as the amount of fumbles that Mario forced. Take this stat as you will.

Did Mario cause the fumble on Reggie?

Wolf
11-18-2007, 04:24 PM
Who did Mario cause the fumble on?

brees

YellerLotYeller
11-18-2007, 04:33 PM
Bush says he has nothing to prove to Texans

He definitely proved nothing today...good jod.

Brando
11-18-2007, 04:36 PM
Well...from what I have seen today, Bush is right:

He has NOTHING....to prove.
That's right.:mario2:

Honoring Earl 34
11-18-2007, 04:45 PM
I saw a couple of times where CC Brown handled Bush pretty easily . CC Brown mind you knocked him backwards ... that's all the Bush I needed to see .

Brando
11-18-2007, 04:54 PM
I also like the way Reggie went fetal on the Saints last drive instead of trying to do something to get out of bounds.:whip:

TheIronDuke
11-18-2007, 04:55 PM
I also like the way Reggie went fetal on the Saints last drive instead of trying to do something to get out of bounds.:whip:

I lol'ed on that one. It was hilarious.

ATX
11-18-2007, 04:57 PM
I lol'ed on that one. It was hilarious.

It was the icing on the cake.:specnatz:

Carr Bombed
11-18-2007, 04:58 PM

BUSH

I'm getting tired of hearing about Reggie's "catches or total yards". Thats just a cop out by the media.....the guy was drafted to be a running back first and foremost and he sucks at that.

All those catches that he gets are just a sad attempt of his team trying to get him "out in space", because the guy "CAN'T GET BY THE FRONT SEVEN AND INTO SPACE" on his own....it's like in basketball where McGrady has to set up Chuck Hayes for all his layups, because the guy can't create on his own.

Everytime I look at all these receptions Bush has that everybody brags about and says......"yeah but"..reggie had "total yards". Those total yards and receptions are receptions taken away from real WR's that could do so much more with 12 receptions (his longest catch was just 11 yards)......Reggie Bush is a crappy running back and okay receiver....I'd rather have 12 catches go to a guy that's not a running back.

NO spends so much time trying to force feed Bush the ball to somehow justify his draft position and prove he's not a bust that he ends up disrupting the entire flow of their offense.

Note to NOLA........Reggie Bush sucks

Note to ESPN.......Reggie Bush Sucks

Note to whoever the hell was behind that Madden comercial........Reggie Bush sucks.

Now all three parties above.......shut your pie hole about the 2006 draft, because Reggie Bush sucks and Vince Young isn't too far behind. :cool:

TheIronDuke
11-18-2007, 05:00 PM
He doesn't even return punts anymore after he proved he can't catch a punt.

Carr Bombed
11-18-2007, 05:01 PM
BUSH

drop the H and add a T and what do you get........

BUST

kastofsna
11-18-2007, 05:34 PM
to be fair to Bush, there's nothing wrong with showing a player's total stats. he does do more than just run the ball. but that's always going to be secondary to what a RB does as a runner, period. when people bring up total yards for other RB's, it's always as a footnote to how well they're also running the ball.

GuerillaBlack
11-18-2007, 05:40 PM
http://d.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20071118/capt.0e57b1060c0942db9e7f3bf8f418dac7.saints_texan s_football_htt112.jpg

Carr Bombed
11-18-2007, 05:41 PM
to be fair to Bush, there's nothing wrong with showing a player's total stats. he does do more than just run the ball. but that's always going to be secondary to what a RB does as a runner, period. when people bring up total yards for other RB's, it's always as a footnote to how well they're also running the ball.

They have to throw him the ball to justify him being on the field.....if the guy could do his job and run the ball, he'd have more carries, more rushing yards, and less receptions.

The Saints just need to bite the bullet and make him a slot receiver, but then again, I guess it's hard to justify paying a slot receiver 60 mil.

TexansSeminole
11-18-2007, 05:43 PM
I'm getting tired of hearing about Reggie's "catches or total yards". Thats just a cop out by the media.....the guy was drafted to be a running back first and foremost and he sucks at that.

All those catches that he gets are just a sad attempt of his team trying to get him "out in space", because the guy "CAN'T GET BY THE FRONT SEVEN AND INTO SPACE" on his own....it's like in basketball where McGrady has to set up Chuck Hayes for all his layups, because the guy can't create on his own.

Everytime I look at all these receptions Bush has that everybody brags about and says......"yeah but"..reggie had "total yards". Those total yards and receptions are receptions taken away from real WR's that could do so much more with 12 receptions (his longest catch was just 11 yards)......Reggie Bush is a crappy running back and okay receiver....I'd rather have 12 catches go to a guy that's not a running back.

NO spends so much time trying to force feed Bush the ball to somehow justify his draft position and prove he's not a bust that he ends up disrupting the entire flow of their offense.

Note to NOLA........Reggie Bush sucks

Note to ESPN.......Reggie Bush Sucks

Note to whoever the hell was behind that Madden comercial........Reggie Bush sucks.

Now all three parties above.......shut your pie hole about the 2006 draft, because Reggie Bush sucks and Vince Young isn't too far behind. :cool:

Like it or not, his catches also count toward his yardage, and that seems to be about half of his touches.

Those catches that he gets are pretty much running plays, as I was saying in the gameday thread. I don't know that those throws to him are an attempt to prove that he is not a bust, but when something (running the ball traditionally) doesn't work, you go to something else to get your running yards. Those swing and short passes to Reggie are how they substitute those yards and I don't blame them. It seems like their best way to substitute a running game to me too.

I'm not making an excuse for him but posts like this just make me think that even though there are plenty of ways to rag on Reggie, people don't seem to be understanding them, or want him to suck in EVERY way, just to say that he wasn't worth the pick. I think that he was not worth the #1 is obvious by now anyway.

Saying Reggie Bush sucks is taking it a bit too far IMO. He is obviously not an NFL RB, but I am not so sure he is a sucky football player. I think you'd be hard pressed to find anyone that knows football, and has no problem with Reggie Bush say that he sucks.

Spled
11-18-2007, 05:54 PM
Remember the hype?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EVEHhQ5wTC8

GuerillaBlack
11-18-2007, 05:57 PM
Remember the hype?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EVEHhQ5wTC8

Did you hear Tom Jackson? "Reminds me of Gale Sayers".

Spled
11-18-2007, 06:03 PM
"Marshall Faulk with more burst"

jerek
11-18-2007, 06:15 PM
Good win, but far and away the best part of the entire afternoon was watching Reggie Bush get clowned. Spend the entire sucking like that.

Good game, Mario--now we just have to figure out how to get him fired up against every opponent instead of just a few.

Wolf
11-18-2007, 06:19 PM
Good game, Mario--now we just have to figure out how to get him fired up against every opponent instead of just a few.

exactly

TD
11-18-2007, 06:25 PM

BUSH

The worst part is that includes the Saints trying to pad his stats on the final drive (3 catches for 28 yds).

Carr Bombed
11-18-2007, 11:39 PM
Like it or not, his catches also count toward his yardage, and that seems to be about half of his touches.

Those catches that he gets are pretty much running plays, as I was saying in the gameday thread. I don't know that those throws to him are an attempt to prove that he is not a bust, but when something (running the ball traditionally) doesn't work, you go to something else to get your running yards. Those swing and short passes to Reggie are how they substitute those yards and I don't blame them. It seems like their best way to substitute a running game to me too.

I'm not making an excuse for him but posts like this just make me think that even though there are plenty of ways to rag on Reggie, people don't seem to be understanding them, or want him to suck in EVERY way, just to say that he wasn't worth the pick. I think that he was not worth the #1 is obvious by now anyway.

Saying Reggie Bush sucks is taking it a bit too far IMO. He is obviously not an NFL RB, but I am not so sure he is a sucky football player. I think you'd be hard pressed to find anyone that knows football, and has no problem with Reggie Bush say that he sucks.

I know his catches count towards his "yards".......duh, but freaking receiving yards shouldn't make up half of his production.....he's a running back, his rushing yards should be the meat and potatoes of his ovrl game, instead Reggie Bush can't hammer out enough yards to serve up a full meal, so he needs those receptions to make up the other half (potatoes) of his main meal.........leaving no dessert. With other great backs (hell even "good" backs) their game is built on running the ball and any receiving yards they get is just cake (dessert)

What I'm saying is, he wasn't drafted to be a freaking reciever......he was supposed to be a once in a generation back (that's exactly what he was called at the 2006 draft.)

and I hate to break this to you, but............Reggie Bush does suck and I don't have to have anybody "question whether or not I know football" to know the guy, for what he was drafted to be and the amount he gets paid........... vs. the effect he has on a ballgame.......sucks. (Oh wait I forgot, he's the best decoy in the NFL)

His own fans, the people that watch him every sunday think he sucks......go over there and read some threads.

The thing that irritates me about Reggie Bush and his "total yardage" is he reminds me so much of Mike Vick..........Mike Vick the overhyped p.o.s., that ESPN and the media shoved down our throats despite the general public knowing that he stunk at his position, which was QB, so what did they do.......include his rushing yards to made a "total yardage" stat to show how great he was.

Dread-Head
11-19-2007, 01:17 AM
http://d.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20071118/capt.0e57b1060c0942db9e7f3bf8f418dac7.saints_texan s_football_htt112.jpg

....Who....DAT?!?

TexansSeminole
11-19-2007, 03:55 AM
His own fans, the people that watch him every sunday think he sucks......go over there and read some threads.

I don't really care what his own fans or his haters say about him. Reading other people say people suck or they are good really doesn't effect the way I judge anyone.

I know his catches count towards his "yards".......duh, but freaking receiving yards shouldn't make up half of his production.....he's a running back, his rushing yards should be the meat and potatoes of his ovrl game, instead Reggie Bush can't hammer out enough yards to serve up a full meal, so he needs those receptions to make up the other half (potatoes) of his main meal.........leaving no dessert. With other great backs (hell even "good" backs) their game is built on running the ball and any receiving yards they get is just cake (dessert)

What I'm saying is, he wasn't drafted to be a freaking reciever......he was supposed to be a once in a generation back (that's exactly what he was called at the 2006 draft.)

and I hate to break this to you, but............Reggie Bush does suck and I don't have to have anybody "question whether or not I know football" to know the guy, for what he was drafted to be and the amount he gets paid........... vs. the effect he has on a ballgame.......sucks. (Oh wait I forgot, he's the best decoy in the NFL)

My point was that he can't run and with him at RB the Saints are forced to throw those screen and swing passes in order to get the yards they would usually get running the ball with an ordinary runningback (Deuce).

My point had nothing to do with why he was drafted. It doesn't really matter at this point, he should be put into the best position he can player, at that looks like receiver.

I understand that your point is that "Reggie Bush sucks", but I am trying to add a little more sense and analysis to the conversation. "Reggie Bush sucks" is just not enough for me I suppose.

Texan_Bill
11-19-2007, 08:25 AM
Here's why Bush sucks...

15 carries for 34 yards (2.3 yards per carry). Okay, he's not a running back, but:

12 receptions for 70 yards (5.8 yards per reception)... he's no receiver either. (Several of those 70 yards were in garbage time too.) Heck, Ron Dayne (who rushed for 89 yards) caught 3 balls for 26 yards (8.7 yards).

threetoedpete
11-19-2007, 11:06 AM
Here's why Bush sucks...

15 carries for 34 yards (2.3 yards per carry). Okay, he's not a running back, but:

12 receptions for 70 yards (5.8 yards per reception)... he's no receiver either. (Several of those 70 yards were in garbage time too.) Heck, Ron Dayne (who rushed for 89 yards) caught 3 balls for 26 yards (8.7 yards).

Well their line was prety banged up. I'll take the victory, but I held my breath for three quarters waiting for the big one from the king of the swamp. What should be obvious at this point is the guy on the field is much different than the ESPN hype. Many here on this board posted at the time, he would be great in space but aweful between the tackles and being counted on to put a team on his shoulders. Judging by his preformance this season, he can't do it. He can't bang between the tackles. He can not put the team on his shoulders. If duece can't come back, they'll have to draft another power back to compliment Bush's...holes. Fifty million ? I don't think so. We dodged a bullet. The big question as others have already pointed out is when the Eastern Sports Network...will fess up and utter those three majic word's. " We was Wrong. " Don't hold your breath.

TexansSeminole
11-19-2007, 11:07 AM
Here's why Bush sucks...

Maybe it's just me but I see a future for him in the NFL at receiver. If they want him to be a successful receiver they need to change their scheme around and include an actual running back because teams can really spread out when he plays RB.

jerek
11-19-2007, 11:13 AM
I think there is merit to considering total yards and even the far less subjective "decoy" status. If Bush is effective as a receiver then it's fair to consider his total output in context of the Saints offensive production. It seems to me a coordinator would be required to specially scheme for a back who is fast and works well as route runner--fair enough, that's part of what Reggie (allegedly) brings to the table.

I just think it is deceitful to promote "all purpose yards" for Reggie and to consistently evaluate him by that number for purposes of lauding him but to not do the same for other backs.

TexansSeminole
11-19-2007, 11:18 AM
I think there is merit to considering total yards and even the far less subjective "decoy" status. If Bush is effective as a receiver then it's fair to consider his total output in context of the Saints offensive production. It seems to me a coordinator would be required to specially scheme for a back who is fast and works well as route runner--fair enough, that's part of what Reggie (allegedly) brings to the table.

I just think it is deceitful to promote "all purpose yards" for Reggie and to consistently evaluate him by that number for purposes of lauding him but to not do the same for other backs.

Wouldn't understand anyone who did that.

Overall, I think Bush kind of creates a problem on the Saints offense. The Saints are forced to find ways to get Bush the ball out on these swing passes in order to get little yards that normal backs get buy banging it up the middle. When a banging it up the middle type play becomes as difficult as a schemed play to swing a pass out to Reggie with blockers set up, it seems as if your offense has become too complicated. The little things that other running backs do, Reggie needs a highly practiced and well drawn out play in order to get that kind of yardage.

Hardcore Texan
11-19-2007, 11:19 AM

Very well said. It is just the media trying to save face a little bit.

On a side note, my autographed Mario Williams football may have went up in value a little yesterday. :cool:

Wolf
11-19-2007, 11:27 AM
I think we are being too harsh on thim

after all he had two tackles and two forced fumbles and I remember at least one passed defended (drop pass) :heh:
:specnatz:

powerfuldragon
11-19-2007, 11:29 AM
Wolf originally posted this pic in this thread. (http://texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44461)

Mario Williams welcomed reggie bush to the city of Houston with open arms on Sunday.
http://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/sp/getty/64/fullj.getty-75557974sd004_new_orleans_s.jpg

gtexan02
11-19-2007, 12:02 PM
Good thing he didn't have anything to prove

austintexanite
11-19-2007, 12:05 PM

....Who....DAT?!?

http://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/sp/getty/64/fullj.getty-75557974sd004_new_orleans_s.jpg

I believe this sums ups yesterday. :texflag:

Mr. White
11-19-2007, 12:48 PM
Maybe it's just me but I see a future for him in the NFL at receiver.

If that happens, then it'll be when he gets his next contract. And that'll probably be with another team.

It turned midnight when Reggie Bush came into the NFL. His glass slippers don't work at this level.

Carr Bombed
11-19-2007, 12:58 PM
I understand that your point is that "Reggie Bush sucks", but I am trying to add a little more sense and analysis to the conversation. "Reggie Bush sucks" is just not enough for me I suppose.

Well apparently you just ignored the other three paragraphs I typed.........I just didn't type "Reggie Bush sucks"........I gave reasons and they were good reasons.

and like Texan Bill said.......he's not even a good receiver. He only picks up like 5 yards a catch when he's matched up against LBs......what the heck do you think is going to happen when the do make the transition and make him a WR and stick him up against DBs.........he's going to be shut down. The guy is a bust.

Brando
11-19-2007, 12:59 PM
http://www.texansbullpen.com/07photogallery/Season/2007-11-18-Saints-Texans/1stQuarter/DSC_0416.JPG

:)

Texan_Bill
11-19-2007, 01:00 PM
and like Texan Bill said.......he's not even a good receiver. He only picks up like 5 yards a catch when he's matched up against LBs......

*David Carr starts licking chops*

Dallas_Texan
11-19-2007, 01:42 PM

Thank you so, so, so much for my new wallpaper!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

TD
11-19-2007, 02:08 PM
Before the draft, June Jones called Bush the next Eric Metcalf. IMO, he hit the nail on the head.

Second Honeymoon
11-19-2007, 02:15 PM
Well apparently you just ignored the other three paragraphs I typed.........I just didn't type "Reggie Bush sucks"........I gave reasons and they were good reasons.

and like Texan Bill said.......he's not even a good receiver. He only picks up like 5 yards a catch when he's matched up against LBs......what the heck do you think is going to happen when the do make the transition and make him a WR and stick him up against DBs.........he's going to be shut down. The guy is a bust.

well Bush is at worst decent pass catching threat based on the fact he is #2 in the NFL in YAC (yards after catch). YAC is generally one of the barometers used to identify quality passing game weapons.

I don't think anyone on this board, even the most avid Bush hater, honestly thinks Reggie Bush 'sucks', but its becoming obvious that he may have cost more than he was worth, in both draft pick and salary cap cost. And the unmerited hype makes people dislike the guy, especially Texans fans. Bush is an average to below average rusher but he makes up for some of that lack of production with his production in the passing game. But at the end of the day, he is probably the highest paid player on the Saints and they don't have a dependable rushing attack without a 1-2 punch of Deuce/Bush. That tells me he isnt and wasnt worth the early selection and huge contract. That doesnt mean Mario was worth it, it just means that Bush probably wasn't.

Carr Bombed
11-19-2007, 02:37 PM
well Bush is at worst decent pass catching threat based on the fact he is #2 in the NFL in YAC (yards after catch). YAC is generally one of the barometers used to identify quality passing game weapons.

I don't think anyone on this board, even the most avid Bush hater, honestly thinks Reggie Bush 'sucks', but its becoming obvious that he may have cost more than he was worth, in both draft pick and salary cap cost. And the unmerited hype makes people dislike the guy, especially Texans fans. Bush is an average to below average rusher but he makes up for some of that lack of production with his production in the passing game. But at the end of the day, he is probably the highest paid player on the Saints and they don't have a dependable rushing attack without a 1-2 punch of Deuce/Bush. That tells me he isnt and wasnt worth the early selection and huge contract. That doesnt mean Mario was worth it, it just means that Bush probably wasn't.

How is he #2 in the NFL in Yac when he only picks up 5.5 yards a catch....... (sounds like a skewed stat to me) When I'm looking at a receiver I'd like one to not be the 329th ranked receiver (as far as YPC go)

www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats;jsessionid=742540EB224AFBD66872AD1C7 159EC25?season=2007&seasonType=REG&d-447263-o=2&tabSeq=0&statisticCategory=RECEIVING&d-447263-p=7&d-447263-s=RECEIVING_AVERAGE_YARDS&d-447263-n=1

Or when I'm judging a "YAC" receiver, I would hate to realize the fact that he only has ONE CATCH OVER TWENTY YARDS! which is his season long of 25 yards.......again futher proving how skewed Reggie's "2nd in the NFL in Yac" is....(which I'm having a hard time believing) YAC receivers make BIG game breaking plays......Reggie doesn't. (there are 150 players that have longer receiving plays than Reggie Bush)

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats;jsessionid=100DB015E90E1709DACC57F58 BB95FA4?season=2007&seasonType=REG&d-447263-o=2&tabSeq=0&statisticCategory=RECEIVING&d-447263-p=4&d-447263-s=RECEIVING_LONG&d-447263-n=1

Reggie's not even the "explosive phenom" he was advertised to be.

Ckw
11-19-2007, 02:47 PM
And the unmerited hype makes people dislike the guy, especially Texans fans.

Exactly! Look, the fact is Reggie Bush doesn't suck. But the other fact is I along with all other Texans fans have listened for the last two years to how stupid we were for passing on the next Gale Sayers. Well, now that Bush is showing he is nothing he was hyped to be and Texans fans get to be the ones talking the crap (because granted most crap talking involves embellishment) then I give you one great "REGGIE BUSH SUCKS!!!!!!!". The fact is the Texans were not ignorant or stupid or whatever other adjective you would like to throw in. We did what we could with the pick. We thought we had a QB, and we couldn't find anyone that wanted to trade their 2 1st rounders for our #1. We wanted DeAngelo Williams and a defensive player. No one made the deal so we had to do something. We got Mario. The case is basically closed on Reggie Bush being an NFL quality RB. There is still a lot left to go for Mario. Mario 1, Reggie 0.

infantrycak
11-19-2007, 02:50 PM

Maybe #2 on aggregate yardage, but there are 100's of folks with a higher average YAC. Reggie averages just 4.9 YAC per reception. Compare that to Ronnie Brown 10.1, MJD 9.7, Westbrook 9.6, etc.

TexansSeminole
11-19-2007, 02:50 PM
How is he #2 in the NFL in Yac when he only picks up 5.5 yards a catch....... (sounds like a skewed stat to me) When I'm looking at a receiver I'd like one to not be the 329th ranked receiver (as far as YPC go)

www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats;jsessionid=742540EB224AFBD66872AD1C7 159EC25?season=2007&seasonType=REG&d-447263-o=2&tabSeq=0&statisticCategory=RECEIVING&d-447263-p=7&d-447263-s=RECEIVING_AVERAGE_YARDS&d-447263-n=1

Or when I'm judging a "YAC" receiver, I would hate to realize the fact that he only has ONE CATCH OVER TWENTY YARDS! which is his season long of 25 yards.......again futher proving who skewed Reggie's 2nd in the NFL in Yac....(which I'm having a hard time believing) YAC receivers make BIG game breaking plays......Reggie doesn't. (there are 150 players that have longer receiving plays than Reggie Bush)

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats;jsessionid=100DB015E90E1709DACC57F58 BB95FA4?season=2007&seasonType=REG&d-447263-o=2&tabSeq=0&statisticCategory=RECEIVING&d-447263-p=4&d-447263-s=RECEIVING_LONG&d-447263-n=1

If you can't tell that his average yards per catch is skewed then you have no place in this argument what so ever. How can you point out the fact that is YAC is skewed and then use that yards per reception stat? Dude uses skewed stats to point out how other stats are skewed.

Most pass plays that go to Reggie are designed for him to make people miss and get YAC. See the fact that they cannot run the ball.

"He's not even the explosive phenom he was advertised to be"? Is there not anything in between...you act as if explosive phenom is the least possible thing he could be by saying not even.

I just dont understand alot of your posts and points. Don't see a whole lot there.

TexansSeminole
11-19-2007, 02:52 PM
Maybe #2 on aggregate yardage, but there are 100's of folks with a higher average YAC. Reggie averages just 4.9 YAC per reception. Compare that to Ronnie Brown 10.1, MJD 9.7, Westbrook 9.6, etc.

You don't think has alot to do with the way the Saints use him, and that swing pass that they run so often?

I figure you'll have more to say about this.

I don't think Reggie is very good at all, but I see people hating on him on this board daily, and it seems like just because we didn't draft him. I realize that he isn't having great years but people act as if he aint wirth a roster spot.

Second Honeymoon
11-19-2007, 03:02 PM

Or when I'm judging a "YAC" receiver, I would hate to realize the fact that he only has ONE CATCH OVER TWENTY YARDS! which is his season long of 25 yards.......again futher proving how skewed Reggie's "2nd in the NFL in Yac" is....(which I'm having a hard time believing) YAC receivers make BIG game breaking plays......Reggie doesn't. (there are 150 players that have longer receiving plays than Reggie Bush)

they flashed the stat during the game yesterday. the tv said so, so they must be right :) :sarcasmoff:

Carr Bombed
11-19-2007, 03:04 PM
If you can't tell that his average yards per catch is skewed then you have no place in this argument what so ever. How can you point out the fact that is YAC is skewed and then use that yards per reception stat? Dude uses skewed stats to point out how other stats are skewed.

Most pass plays that go to Reggie are designed for him to make people miss and get YAC. See the fact that they cannot run the ball.

"He's not even the explosive phenom he was advertised to be"? Is there not anything in between...you act as if explosive phenom is the least possible thing he could be by saying not even.

I just dont understand alot of your posts and points. Don't see a whole lot there.

Your whole post didn't really make much sense, I put YPC, because generally when people are the 2nd ranked YAC receiver in the NFL, they have a high YPC average.......nothing skewed about it........as far as "see the fact that they cannot run the ball".....Reggie's not a good running back, what gives.

You don't see alot there, because you don't want to see alot there when it's sitting there slapping you in the face..........that's not my problem, I'm not here to hold your hand and walk you through the post.

The guy was supposed to be "explosive" a "game breaker", so far this season he has 175 combined touches (passing and receiving) and he's gone over 20 yards just 4 times..(for anybody counting at home, that means everytime you give the ball to ol' Reg 43 times, he'll reward you with one big play....not very productive)...with his longest run of the year just being 22 yards and his longest catch being just 25 yards........it's not like he's ripping off 30 and 40 yarders, strecthing the defense, taking it to the house, and being a "game breaker".

If you don't want me to say "he sucks", because that seems to be the only thing that your whole argument is based on.........fine Reggie Bush doesn't "suck", but the guy "is striving to be mediocre" at best........that's the best I can say about Reggie Bush, haven't been impressed at all with his play on the field.

Texan_Bill
11-19-2007, 03:08 PM
First, I didn't see the YAC stat on NFL.com

Second, when comparing two receivers I look at (2) numbers. Average yards per catch and total reception yards.

> Bush is tied with Echamandu and like 10 spots behind Ron Dayne for average yards per catch.... So thats not a very impressive argument.

> Bush is ranked 73rd for total reception yards. Thats only 42 more yards than Andre Johnson who has completely missed 7 games...

*Disclaimer - it did not look like the stats on NFL.com were updated from yesterday's games*

Second Honeymoon
11-19-2007, 03:11 PM

yes in overall yardage he was #2 in YAC around the 1st Quarter (per CBS who have Casserley as an 'expert' so all bets are off)

he gets a lot of touches on passes so it just shows how much of their offense goes through him. you could use this information to support either side of an argument basically. 'he should be making more plays due to the load of chances' or 'he doesnt have enough help, bush isn't that bad'...

the truth is somewhere in between me thinks. my biggest problem with Bush is that he seems to play like a wuss. him going fetal on that one run late in the game was just horrible. does he think he is a quarterback or something? it was just pathetic and I would imagine Saints fan was pretty embarassed by that move.

Carr Bombed
11-19-2007, 03:17 PM
>Bush is ranked 73rd for total reception yards. Thats only 42 more yards than Andre Johnson who has completely missed 7 games...

*Disclaimer - it did not look like the stats on NFL.com were updated from yesterday's games*

It hasn't, but it's only going to get worse for Reggie when they do.

TexansSeminole
11-19-2007, 03:22 PM
the truth is somewhere in between me thinks. my biggest problem with Bush is that he seems to play like a wuss. him going fetal on that one run late in the game was just horrible. does he think he is a quarterback or something? it was just pathetic and I would imagine Saints fan was pretty embarassed by that move.

That's a bit of what I see. He needs to add bulk if he is going to play running back or receiver as far as I am concerned. If he wants to be catching slants up the middle of the field he is going to need to be able to take those hits. He just looks like he isn't physically capable of playing running back in the NFL.

Texan_Bill
11-19-2007, 03:25 PM
He just looks like he isn't physically capable of playing running back in the NFL.

Signed,

Warrick Dunn
Dave Meggett
Marshall Faulk

Texan_Bill
11-19-2007, 03:26 PM
Signed,

Warrick Dunn
Dave Meggett
Marshall Faulk

What about us??

Barry Sanders
James Brooks

TexansSeminole
11-19-2007, 03:27 PM
Bush isn't to be mentioned in the same conversation with those guys. I never really saw him bang it up the middle in college either. He just had alot more space to dance in college. No dancing in the NFL.

eriadoc
11-19-2007, 03:33 PM
If Reggie Bush is able to carry the ball 250 times in a season and average 3.8 YPC, I'll consider him an average RB. As of right now, he is not even as good as DD was for us. DD averaged much better on the ground, and did everything Bush is doing out of the backfield - and fans here bagged on DD for most of his career. Bush has below average results across the board right now. Period. You can try and spin it any way you want, but the results are clear for everyone to see.

Texan_Bill
11-19-2007, 03:37 PM
If Reggie Bush is able to carry the ball 250 times in a season and average 3.8 YPC, I'll consider him an average RB. As of right now, he is not even as good as DD was for us. DD averaged much better on the ground, and did everything Bush is doing out of the backfield - and fans here bagged on DD for most of his career. Bush has below average results across the board right now. Period. You can try and spin it any way you want, but the results are clear for everyone to see.

To help illustrate eriadoc's point:

Domanick Davis Williams:

+--------------------------+-------------------------+
| Rushing | Receiving |
+----------+-----+--------------------------+-------------------------+
| Year TM | G | Att Yards Y/A TD | Rec Yards Y/R TD |
| 2003 hou | 14 | 238 1031 4.3 8 | 47 351 7.5 0 |
| 2004 hou | 15 | 302 1188 3.9 13 | 68 588 8.6 1 |
| 2005 hou | 11 | 230 976 4.2 2 | 39 337 8.6 4 |
| TOTAL | 40 | 770 3195 4.1 23 | 154 1276 8.3 5 |

Pro-Football-reference.com (http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/DaviDo01.htm)

Lucky
11-19-2007, 03:42 PM
Maybe #2 on aggregate yardage, but there are 100's of folks with a higher average YAC.
He may have been #2 in yards after catch prior to week 10, but now Reggie trails Westbrook, Ronnie Brown, Tomlinson, and Wes Welker. Actually, Ronnie Brown hasn't played in a while. So, Bush could have been no better than 3rd in YAC total.

I'm surprised at how poorly Bush has done, thus far. He was better at USC. He ran harder, he was more decisive. I don't know if it's about getting paid, not adjusting to the speed of the game, or being intimidated by NFL caliber athletes. But, this is not the same Reggie Bush.

Xetuoh1836
11-19-2007, 03:52 PM
He may have been #2 in yards after catch prior to week 10, but now Reggie trails Westbrook, Ronnie Brown, Tomlinson, and Wes Welker. Actually, Ronnie Brown hasn't played in a while. So, Bush could have been no better than 3rd in YAC total.

I'm surprised at how poorly Bush has done, thus far. He was better at USC. He ran harder, he was more decisive. I don't know if it's about getting paid, not adjusting to the speed of the game, or being intimidated by NFL caliber athletes. But, this is not the same Reggie Bush.

Sorry Lucky, he was getting paid at USC and his family lived quite well!

Also, 11 yards of his carries came when the A'ints held on his run of 3rd and 20 and they declined the penalty!

Wolf
11-19-2007, 03:54 PM
I personally think Bush hasn't adjusted to the nfl game. college he could get by with bouncing out side and using his speed to get around defenders, in the NFL almost everyone runs a 4.5 or so and know how to use angles to get to the faster backs

and not being able to run between the tackles... really hurts the saints

maybe some are seeing what Pete Carroll saw on that key 4th-1 against Texas and had White in there instead of Bush.. I am not sure

ActualTexan
11-19-2007, 03:54 PM
What a thread.

Me thinks Texans fans have taken a lot of heat over drafts....and still do.

Criticism is cheap. Bush is an okay player, who is on a team of okay players that are in a 100% free-fall. Sound familiar?

nunusguy
11-19-2007, 04:01 PM
He was better at USC. He ran harder, he was more decisive. I don't know if it's about getting paid, not adjusting to the speed of the game, or being intimidated by NFL caliber athletes. But, this is not the same Reggie Bush.
Anybody is better at USC playing teams like Fresno State instead of NFL competition. And I do think he is intimated, very intimated by NFL competition.
I saw one play where Bush flat went down without contact in the open field
and made no attempt to get back on his feet. And he wasn't injured on the play.
Truth is after seeing Bush play in person, I found a new appreciation for him.
He is a talented perimiter player who could be valuable to a team, certainly our team, as a slot or even flanker receiver.And he'd be excellent running
reverses and taking hand-offs now and then as a tailback. But IMO he's totally inept as an NFL teams feature running back.

JustBonee
11-19-2007, 04:19 PM
I saw one play where Bush flat went down without contact in the open field
and made no attempt to get back on his feet. And he wasn't injured on the play.
... and the Saints fans booed him royally. He is afraid of contact.

Carr Bombed
11-19-2007, 04:26 PM
Bush is an okay player, who is on a team of okay players that are in a 100% free-fall. Sound familiar?

Not really, who are you referring too.

SheTexan
11-19-2007, 04:32 PM
The only PEOPLE Reggie Bush has to prove anything too is his agent and his acting coach!! He's making milllions with all the endorcements he has going. That seems to be his priority, not playing the game of football. He obviously has some physical talent, but, that means nothing when he can't control his enormous ego!! JMO!!

I bet he's already priming himself for "dancing with the stars." :splits:

Ole Miss Texan
11-19-2007, 04:32 PM
Criticism is cheap.

Criticism may be cheap, but payback is a b*tch.

... and the Saints fans booed him royally. He is afraid of contact.

I remember that and it was really funny. Right in the middle of the field, everyone in the stadium was like..'whaatt!!??' Even the saints fans (which were too numerous) were laughing.

Bottom line is Reggie Bush was better at USC, but there isn't anything wrong with that. He won the heisman trophy because he was the best player (some would argue vince young and that's understandable) but I think it's from Reggie's rushing, receiving, and Return skills that put him above VY.

Reggie relied on his speed and insane, almost impossible, ways of faking out players. This works really well in college but the Pro's are a completely different league. Now he's playing against the best of the best and his speed alone won't make him the dominant player everyone expects. You could see from Sunday that he definitly can still make a lot of guys miss...but chances are in the NFL there will be a DL, a LB, and a CB coming in to help a lot more than in college.

Wolf
11-19-2007, 04:36 PM
Criticism may be cheap, but payback is a b*tch.

I remember that and it was really funny. Right in the middle of the field, everyone in the stadium was like..'whaatt!!??' Even the saints fans (which were too numerous) were laughing.

Bottom line is Reggie Bush was better at USC, but there isn't anything wrong with that. He won the heisman trophy because he was the best player (some would argue vince young and that's understandable) but I think it's from Reggie's rushing, receiving, and Return skills that put him above VY.

Reggie relied on his speed and insane, almost impossible, ways of faking out players. This works really well in college but the Pro's are a completely different league. Now he's playing against the best of the best and his speed alone won't make him the dominant player everyone expects. You could see from Sunday that he definitly can still make a lot of guys miss...but chances are in the NFL there will be a DL, a LB, and a CB coming in to help a lot more than in college.

notre dame game gave Reggie the Heisman

But what is kinda weird with the heisman (aka best college football player), is for some reason, it doesn't translates to NFL ..just saying because seems alot of trophy winners don't do it in the nfl now

RazorOye
11-19-2007, 04:40 PM
Bush doesn't "suck"

Bush has woefully underachieved

Bush is not worth the money he is being paid

Bush cannot be an every down back

Bush is a decent receiver

Bush has too little gap patience

Bush's vision is average - there are times where he does use good vision

The offensive line with Faine and Stinch in and Brown out is not much of a line

Many Saints fans agree that Bush has talent, does not "suck", but is sorely disappointed because he hasn't come close to reaching the expectations set forth by the NFL, the organization, and Bush himself

You can tear him down as much as you like, the fact is, there aren't a lot of Saints fans that would disagree with most of the criticisms being leveled at him.

Wolf
11-19-2007, 04:45 PM
Bush doesn't "suck"

Bush has woefully underachieved

Bush is not worth the money he is being paid

Bush cannot be an every down back

Bush is a decent receiver

Bush has too little gap patience

Bush's vision is average - there are times where he does use good vision

The offensive line with Faine and Stinch in and Brown out is not much of a line

Many Saints fans agree that Bush has talent, does not "suck", but is sorely disappointed because he hasn't come close to reaching the expectations set forth by the NFL, the organization, and Bush himself

You can tear him down as much as you like, the fact is, there aren't a lot of Saints fans that would disagree with most of the criticisms being leveled at him.
I think what you are seeing is Texan fans enjoying this because for 2 years we (Texan fans in everyday workplace and the franchise(by about every journalist and esp. ESPiN)) have been bashed over and over about Mario Williams ...and yet with Bush underachieving, no one has heard retraction from any journalist about the "once in a generation back"

ActualTexan
11-19-2007, 04:48 PM
Not really, who are you referring too.

Easy. Virtually every position on the Texans roster for almost six years <.500 (including the trainers and coaches).

Yes, there have been a few exceptions. Let me step out of the way so you can point them out to me.

ActualTexan
11-19-2007, 04:49 PM
I think what you are seeing is Texan fans enjoying this because for 2 years we (Texan fans in everyday workplace and the franchise(by about every journalist and esp. ESPiN) have been bashed over and over about Mario Williams ...and yet with Bush underachieving, no one has heard retraction from any journalist about the "once in a generation back"

I agree whole-heartedly.

Texan_Bill
11-19-2007, 04:51 PM
I think what you are seeing is Texan fans enjoying this because for 2 years we (Texan fans in everyday workplace and the franchise(by about every journalist and esp. ESPiN) have been bashed over and over about Mario Williams ...and yet with Bush underachieving, no one has heard retraction from any journalist about the "once in a generation back"

Good post Wolf... I think you summed it up pretty well, except that I would add that fans from other teams bashed us as well on their message boards and such.

I might also add that some folks beleived that Reggie was over-rated at USC... Some people *ahem* truly thought that it would be LenDale White (fat jokes aside) that would be the more productive back in the NFL..

Ole Miss Texan
11-19-2007, 05:09 PM
I think what you are seeing is Texan fans enjoying this because for 2 years we (Texan fans in everyday workplace and the franchise(by about every journalist and esp. ESPiN)) have been bashed over and over about Mario Williams ...and yet with Bush underachieving, no one has heard retraction from any journalist about the "once in a generation back"

Whoa....I really hope your not my mother because you can definitely read my thoughts.

El Amigo Invisible
11-19-2007, 05:25 PM
not even 50 yards rushing ?Wow!Nice tackle Reggie(on Von Huchins)!He knows he wanted to run for 400 yards on us but then ...there was Mario.

BigBull17
11-19-2007, 06:06 PM
Bush isn't to be mentioned in the same conversation with those guys. I never really saw him bang it up the middle in college either. He just had alot more space to dance in college. No dancing in the NFL.

Those guys didnt run scared, Reggie does. Once he is hit, its over and he looks for the ground. Not what you want from a running back.

Carr Bombed
11-20-2007, 02:32 AM
Easy. Virtually every position on the Texans roster for almost six years <.500 (including the trainers and coaches).

Yes, there have been a few exceptions. Let me step out of the way so you can point them out to me.

The good players on this team, stuck on this team.....(very few players that have left and were cut from this team went on to have success....very few)..I still don't get what your trying to say.......you also just compared a team that went to the NFC championship to previous crappy Texans teams...???

CloakNNNdagger
11-20-2007, 07:23 AM
"Bush says he has nothing to prove to Texans ".....................and he proved it........

Malloy
11-20-2007, 07:40 AM
"Bush says he has nothing to prove to Texans ".....................and he proved it........

hehe, end-of-thread :)

Texan_Bill
11-20-2007, 09:53 AM
Listening to Steve McKinney on 1560 a couple of minutes ago, he basically said that he thought Reggie Bush sucks, was over-rated and would never had drafted him as an early first rounder...

Don't sugar coat it, Steve..... :texflag: