PDA

View Full Version : The official "Start Dilfer" thread

drewmar74
11-14-2007, 03:59 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/wire?section=nfl&id=3110640

Smith admitted Wednesday that his recently separated right shoulder and a chronically strained forearm have contributed to his awful play in the past three games of the 49ers' seven-game losing streak.

"Without a doubt, I'm not throwing the same way I was the first three weeks, and last year," Smith said before sitting out part of practice to rest his forearm. "Trying to play through this is hard. ... I chose to go out there and play, thought I could, thought it would get better as the weeks go on, and it hasn't."

The former No. 1 draft pick even wondered aloud whether he should take a prolonged break to get his shoulder back in shape, perhaps for 2008.

After watching him play on MNF, I'd agree. He probably needs to sit down for a while. I don't think its a talent thing, but at some point I would think that the niners would want to preserve that arm (and that psyche) for seasons going forward.

SF is what, 2-7 or something like that? Let Dilfer mange the offense and save your young QB.

adam
11-14-2007, 04:26 PM
I'm sure his arm plays some sort of a factor, but he is definitely copping out. He has been terrible in every single game that he has ever played. Unless he has been injured for his entire NFL career, then I think he is making excuses.

Dilfer should start, and Smith should be unemployed.

drewmar74
11-15-2007, 04:54 PM
Hey, Mike Nolan must read this board and think pretty highly of my opinion to make this change!

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3112293

Trent Dilfer will start for the San Francisco 49ers on Sunday in place of quarterback Alex Smith, who finally acknowledged a serious arm injury has been affecting his play.

bah007
11-15-2007, 05:01 PM
Smith definitely wasnt helping himself by playing injured.

dtran04
11-15-2007, 07:44 PM
An injured shoulder doesn't hurt pocket presence though I don't think.

SF49erFaithful
11-17-2007, 06:49 PM
I'm sure his arm plays some sort of a factor, but he is definitely copping out. He has been terrible in every single game that he has ever played. Unless he has been injured for his entire NFL career, then I think he is making excuses.

Dilfer should start, and Smith should be unemployed.

Obviously an extreme exaggeration but somewhat true. This season and his rookie year he had no good games, but last season he had a couple.

Personally, I still hold some hope for him. I'm not blaming him this year, or any other player on our offense for that matter, because we have an absolutely horrible OC. Smith hasn't gotten a fair shake, so I'd keep him until at least next season, and draft a QB in the 3rd or 4th round this draft and hope for a "Drew Brees affect".