PDA

View Full Version : The 3-4 Next Year?

The1ApplePie
11-13-2007, 10:01 AM
So Smith has been toying with the 3-4 a little, playing Mario from more of an OLB position. On paper, the D-Line seems to be more of a 3-4 front with guys like TJ, AO, and Weaver being better fits at DE at that system.

Does anyone think they are making the transition to the 3-4 this year and will run it full time next year? Any thoughts?

tulexan
11-13-2007, 10:04 AM
You're assuming Smith is going to be here next season.

The1ApplePie
11-13-2007, 10:07 AM

Could end up getting replaced by a 3-4 coach, you never know

infantrycak
11-13-2007, 10:44 AM
Just because Mario doesn't have his hand down doesn't make him into an OLB.

ATX
11-13-2007, 11:05 AM
I don't see that happening considering the personnel we have. We don't have a NT, we just drafted a 4-3 DE #1, Demeco is set at the Mike, TJ plays better in a 4-3, and we'll have 2 years already invested in the 4-3.

I wouldn't be surprised to see us throw out some different looks on defense, but switching back would be a surprise to me.

ensign_lee
11-13-2007, 11:30 AM
NOOOOOOOOOO. I don't wanna swithc back!!!

nunusguy
11-13-2007, 11:34 AM
Many like Mario as an end in the 3-4, but this years top pick is clearly a
4-3 inside one-gapper and would not fit well in the 3-4, either at end or at
the nose. Same for TJ, but he's not Kubiaks boy like AO is.

b0ng
11-13-2007, 11:44 AM
TJ, Amobi, or Maddox in the middle of a 3-4? We would get crushed by draws up the middle. We would need a huge, Richard Seymour like space-eater.

otisbean
11-13-2007, 12:12 PM
I think we need to find a speed rusher to put at RE and move Mario to his natural LE position and either cut Weaver or move him to the DT rotation. I think our Dline would look a lot better with a slight tweak.

ATX
11-13-2007, 12:21 PM
I think we need to find a speed rusher to put at RE and move Mario to his natural LE position and either cut Weaver or move him to the DT rotation. I think our Dline would look a lot better with a slight tweak.

I think so too.....I don't see Mario being that speed rusher off the right side like a Freeney, but rather the strong side guy with the power. Maybe we could pick a speedy guy in the 4th or 5th round to get it done, who knows?

Hagar
11-13-2007, 12:28 PM
TJ, Amobi, or Maddox in the middle of a 3-4? We would get crushed by draws up the middle. We would need a huge, Richard Seymour like space-eater. Beat me to it. Rep your way.

I don't think it'll matter one way or the other. Until we get William Perry, Tony Ragoosa (sp?) type of player to take up space in the middle, we're going to get run on.

Maddict5
11-13-2007, 12:37 PM
no that would screw alot of things up. right now we need a RE, CB, FS and maybe a strongside lb to have a decent 4-3

wed need a NT, tweener olb's, mlb #2 (not to mention negating some of demeco's influence..see j vilma), cb, fs

austintexanite
11-13-2007, 12:42 PM
I wish I could have seen the Raider game to see how Mario looked outside, but I don't think we should go to the 3-4. Amobi has been incosistent, but has played well for a rookie and Travis is finally betting good. I think we do need another speed rusher, but we need some DB's and OL first.

Ckw
11-13-2007, 03:41 PM
I think we could do something similar to what the Cowgirls do. They run both because of Greg Ellis. Greg Ellis has the speed and size to play both DE and OLB. I'm not the most football savy person on here by a long shot, so am I right that they tend to run out of both formations? Personally, I think we have the tools to do both as well.

adam
11-13-2007, 06:04 PM

Exactly. I am almost certain that Smith will be unemployed come next season. In fact, I would wager that he'll be the first one hacked off the payroll.

pappy
11-13-2007, 10:36 PM

We already have that and use it on nickel packages using nd kalu or orr .

BwareofDWare
11-16-2007, 07:56 AM
On a side note. I would like to see what Mario could do if we played OLB like a Greg Ellis or even a Jason Taylor type of role. I think he has the speed for it.

threetoedpete
11-16-2007, 11:04 AM
Exactly. I am almost certain that Smith will be unemployed come next season. In fact, I would wager that he'll be the first one hacked off the payroll.

Well it's always easier to fire the one than the eleven. Untill I hear other wise, this co-ordinator is doing exactly what he is being told to do by this HC. Well the only reason I brought this up the other week is becaue they had two weeks to prepare for the Saints. They have one key guy. That key guy will get frustrated and spit the pill if you bottle him up and use the sidelines as a twelve man. For one game they could monkey around with things a bit.Run some sort of monster -wolf defnse with the extra SS. I mean we're kinda loaded with those guys. Especailly if we're going to run the DC off next off season. He ought to have one game to show case what he can do, shouldn't he ? They're just tring to shake Mario loose. Put this foot here , put that foot there. You'd think though after twenty-five games he'd have at least one move in the bag to beat a marginal NFL OLT ? Gotta be driving the coaches plumb crazy.

Napa Auto Parts
11-16-2007, 11:27 PM
We should bring back Dom Capers who is a 3-4 Genius