PDA

View Full Version : Is Reggie going to play?

tulexan
11-12-2007, 03:56 PM
Reggie suffered a mild concussion in the Rams game. Is he going to play against us?

the wonger need food
11-12-2007, 04:03 PM
I hope Reginald plays. That's at least 2 turnovers for us.

I'm more concerned about Jamaal Brown. He hurt his knee yesterday and may be out a few weeks.

adam
11-12-2007, 04:20 PM
I hope he is going to play. It would be a timeless image if Mario Williams were to lay a beastly tackle on him. It would shout a thousand words into the ears of every Bush manloving, Mario hater.

TxDavid
11-12-2007, 04:38 PM
I could care less....I'm more concerned about who's playing on our side. Hopefully Schaub & AJ will be back and I can see them tear it up on the field Sunday. Although I have to agree with adam - I'd love to see Mario and Amobi to pound on reggie.

TexansSeminole
11-12-2007, 04:42 PM
Their running game looks pretty non-existant with him starting, I am pulling for him to start.

tulexan
11-12-2007, 05:00 PM
I don't know about you guys, but I'd rather him not play. We have enough trouble stopping screen passes that I don't want to see him tear up the Texans.

TexansSeminole
11-12-2007, 05:02 PM
No way am I scared of Reggie in any sense.

BSofA04
11-12-2007, 05:06 PM
After his Madden commercial "For all those teams who passed me up"....And by all those teams do you mean the Texans??? I hope Mario lays the wood on Reggie. He better play.

ObsiWan
11-12-2007, 05:10 PM
With D-Rob out, I'd rather Marcus Colston didn't play.

Ole Miss Texan
11-12-2007, 05:18 PM
Shoot, Im really thinking of dropping Santana Moss and picking up DEVERY HENDERSON for next week, but I dont know. lol

I'd rather Reggie play, personally. I really want Demeco to hit him hard, Amobi to get a TFL on him. And then Mario hit him super hard when Bush tries some non-planned reverse to try and get positive yards and make him fumble it.....then Freddie B return it for a TD.

But in all honesty, I'm worried about the saints offense. Our defense hasn't been too good and Bush's main strength is one our big weaknesses. I hope we game plan him really well because he will tear us a new one, imo. They will throw screens and dump offs to him, we have suspect secondary for them to block and him to juke, we have slow OLB's for him to completely run by. I def. want reggie to have a bad game against us, Mario to have a huge game and ESPN to show it say...Mario is awesome.

sakebomb
11-12-2007, 08:57 PM
I hope so. I like to the see the other teams best players play.

b0ng
11-12-2007, 09:30 PM
Shoot, Im really thinking of dropping Santana Moss and picking up DEVERY HENDERSON for next week, but I dont know. lol

I'd rather Reggie play, personally. I really want Demeco to hit him hard, Amobi to get a TFL on him. And then Mario hit him super hard when Bush tries some non-planned reverse to try and get positive yards and make him fumble it.....then Freddie B return it for a TD.

But in all honesty, I'm worried about the saints offense. Our defense hasn't been too good and Bush's main strength is one our big weaknesses. I hope we game plan him really well because he will tear us a new one, imo. They will throw screens and dump offs to him, we have suspect secondary for them to block and him to juke, we have slow OLB's for him to completely run by. I def. want reggie to have a bad game against us, Mario to have a huge game and ESPN to show it say...Mario is awesome.

Honestly, to avoid this, they should just have Demeco spy him whenever he's on the field.

The1ApplePie
11-12-2007, 09:38 PM
I'm paying for tickets, so my boy Reggie better play:bat:

Xetuoh1836
11-12-2007, 10:17 PM
Play him, bench him, put him in a casket!

Just win Texans, just win.....:wild:

Specnatz
11-13-2007, 03:31 AM
I'm paying for tickets, so my boy Reggie better play:bat:

That really makes me wish he was not playing.

jlam
11-13-2007, 09:05 AM
Last I heard it was a day-to-day thing, possibly game time decision. I'm sure if it were up to Reggie, he'd play. Of all the things he is and isn't, he is a tough competitor. However, that helmet to helmet he took vs the Rams looked like it put him out on his feet.

I hope he can get in there for a variety of reasons (read: I want my moneys worth) but mainly because not having him on the field takes away a lot of our flexibility on offense, which is one of our greatest strengths.

Errant Hothy
11-13-2007, 09:53 AM
With D-Rob out, I'd rather Marcus Colston didn't play.

QFT!!

Ole Miss Texan
11-13-2007, 11:15 AM
Didn't get to see the game. Does anyone know where a clip is of this hit? I checked youtube and nfl.com game highlights but couldn't see it.

Maddict5
11-13-2007, 11:31 AM
dont really care if he plays or not once we win......that said it would be sweet if this happened:

4th Q
HOU 24 NO 24

1-10 HOU 35 (:37) 25-R. Bush left end for 2 yards (90- M. Williams), FUMBLES (90- M. Williams), Recovered by HOU-90 M. Williams at HOU 30, M. Williams for 70 yards, TOUCHDOWN. NO-25 Bush was injured on the play

TexansLucky13
11-13-2007, 11:36 AM
dont really care if he plays or not once we win......that said it would be sweet if this happened:

4th Q
HOU 24 NO 24

1-10 HOU 35 (:37) 25-R. Bush left end for 2 yards (90- M. Williams), FUMBLES (90- M. Williams), Recovered by HOU-90 M. Williams at HOU 30, M. Williams for 70 yards, TOUCHDOWN. NO-25 Bush was injured on the play

:d:

That is exactly what I want to see.

And I agree with whoever up there said that they would rather Colston not play. He is a much bigger threat.

Corrosion
11-13-2007, 11:43 AM
I cant understand the media's hype machine with Bush , why they have gone so far overboard with the guy . The most lasting memory for me was in the National Title game Vs. UT .... Its 4th and 2 and he's standing on the sidelines ..... They hand the ball to Lendale White who gets stuffed .

Honestly I wish he would disappear completely from my Tv screen now like he did in that most important moment .....:twocents:

austintexanite
11-13-2007, 11:44 AM
Hope he plays, he's been giving us crap since "he was the #1 pick." Demeco and Mario need to smack him pretty hard.

TexanAddict
11-13-2007, 11:49 AM
I don't know about you guys, but I'd rather him not play. We have enough trouble stopping screen passes that I don't want to see him tear up the Texans.

This is my thought exactly. It's not his running that worries me, but the fact that we are horrible at recognizing and disrupting the screen pass. Combine that with the fact that NO is probably going to make a concerted effort to get Bush the ball and try to make him look decent against us (think Tampa Bay game last year) and I could see some problems. I actually want Bush to play, I just hope we really emphasize stopping the screen this week in practice.

nunusguy
11-13-2007, 12:00 PM
I'm confused ? How can a player sustain a concussion if he totally avoids contact ?

TexansLucky13
11-13-2007, 12:05 PM
I'm confused ? How can a player sustain a concussion if he totally avoids contact ?

He got knocked out by a flying Subway sandwich. The suspect is being held for questioning.

Texan_Bill
11-13-2007, 12:30 PM
I found this on another board...

http://img215.imageshack.us/img215/8752/gyi0050808688100801lowegk0.jpg

Brakos, do you recognize it??!?

jlam
11-13-2007, 02:08 PM
NO-25 Bush was injured on the play

Hoping players get injured is cool. Good for you.

powerfuldragon
11-13-2007, 02:11 PM
regardless of whether or not he plays our d better be lockdown.

jlam
11-13-2007, 02:16 PM
This is my thought exactly. It's not his running that worries me, but the fact that we are horrible at recognizing and disrupting the screen pass. Combine that with the fact that NO is probably going to make a concerted effort to get Bush the ball and try to make him look decent against us (think Tampa Bay game last year) and I could see some problems. I actually want Bush to play, I just hope we really emphasize stopping the screen this week in practice.

Judging from what we've seen of our coach and the way he calls football games, I sincerely doubt that would be the reasoning behind Reggie getting a lot of touches if it does happen. Payton, even to a fault, has stuck to calling the game his way and not getting the ball to a particular player just for the sake of doing it or proving a point.

If coach thinks that putting the ball in Reggie's hands a lot will win him the game, then he'll do it, but I can't say it would be because he thinks he has something to prove. idonno:

jlam
11-13-2007, 02:23 PM
Perhaps of equal or more concern to you guys (and us of course) is the health of our LT Jammal Brown. He went down in a heap this past game and stayed down for a good while. I thought we had lost him for the season at first, but as it turns out, he only strained a muscle in his calf and is going to try to return to practice tomorrow and, hopefully, will be in action Sunday.

The loss of Brown obviously hurts our blocking on the left side as his backup, Zack Strief, is not bad but not as solid as Brown. What really worries me is that if Brown isn't in there, and we have to slide protections over to help Strief out, it leaves us a little more vulnerable up the middle, which is where Brees likes the pressure the least. I don't know how much of Brees anyone here has seen, but he's pretty good at stepping up in the pocket and avoiding edge rushers. Where he gets flustered and bothered, however, is when the Oline allows pressure right up the middle and collapses the pocket, taking away his throwing lanes. Brees is only about 6' 1". Get consistent pressure up the middle of the line and he's not the same QB.

Ole Miss Texan
11-13-2007, 03:02 PM
jlam- thanks for your insight and input.

The loss of Brown would be really hard for the Saints. This could be good news for Mario...or as you said if they have to double him...it could be great news for Amobi and Travis. Amobi has done really well this season and that would be great if our two DT's could penetrate the pocket consistently forcing Brees to move left or right.

Our secondary is very suspect right now, as if it wasn't before the loss of Dunta. Not that it isn't important every game, but this one particularly the DL. Brees can't have all day to pick apart our secondary.

I agree Demeco needs to be spying Bush.

dalonestartitan
11-13-2007, 03:29 PM
I hope he does, so we can give him another concussion. (OK, bad joke).

But hey, I do want to shut this kid down and beat the crap out of the Saints. Especially after that Madden commercial.

TexanAddict
11-13-2007, 03:43 PM
Judging from what we've seen of our coach and the way he calls football games, I sincerely doubt that would be the reasoning behind Reggie getting a lot of touches if it does happen. Payton, even to a fault, has stuck to calling the game his way and not getting the ball to a particular player just for the sake of doing it or proving a point.

If coach thinks that putting the ball in Reggie's hands a lot will win him the game, then he'll do it, but I can't say it would be because he thinks he has something to prove. idonno:

Sorry, but I disagree with this. In week 13 last year (I was thinking of the 49ers game, not the Bucs), the Saints made an obvious effort to show that Bush was worth the 2nd overall pick they had invested in him. Up to that point, Bush had proven to be pretty mediocre, averaging 30 yds rushing per game at only 3 ypc and 39 yds receiving per game at only 6.7 ypc, with twice as many lost fumbles (2) as offensive TDs (1). So against the 49ers, with McAllister doing the heavy lifting (136 yds, 5.25 ypc), Bush's number was called over and over again in the red zone, to give him every opportunity to score. I remember thinking while watching this game that they were deliberately putting Bush in a position to score, even though McAllister was having a much better game. You can look it up, mostly they used Deuce to get them down close and then gave Bush the TD. Reggie had one good catch and run, but the rest was all Deuce.

SF @ NO (http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/playbyplay?game_id=29044&displayPage=tab_play_by_play&season=2006&week=REG13)
Bush Game Stats (http://www.nfl.com/players/reggiebush/gamelogs?id=BUS294963&season=2006)

jlam
11-13-2007, 04:22 PM
Sorry, but I disagree with this. In week 13 last year (I was thinking of the 49ers game, not the Bucs), the Saints made an obvious effort to show that Bush was worth the 2nd overall pick they had invested in him. Up to that point, Bush had proven to be pretty mediocre, averaging 30 yds rushing per game at only 3 ypc and 39 yds receiving per game at only 6.7 ypc, with twice as many lost fumbles (2) as offensive TDs (1). So against the 49ers, with McAllister doing the heavy lifting (136 yds, 5.25 ypc), Bush's number was called over and over again in the red zone, to give him every opportunity to score. I remember thinking while watching this game that they were deliberately putting Bush in a position to score, even though McAllister was having a much better game. You can look it up, mostly they used Deuce to get them down close and then gave Bush the TD. Reggie had one good catch and run, but the rest was all Deuce.

SF @ NO (http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/playbyplay?game_id=29044&displayPage=tab_play_by_play&season=2006&week=REG13)
Bush Game Stats (http://www.nfl.com/players/reggiebush/gamelogs?id=BUS294963&season=2006)

I don't need to look it up, I watched that game. Just like I watched every game. Why in the hell would he pick one game out of the entire year to "prove" that Bush was worth the #2 pick? Reggie was in the game in those situations because, like it or not, he has shown himself to have a nose for the goal line since he got here. Combine that with the fact that we don't run shovel passes and end arounds with Deuce and that's why Bush was in the game.

The arguement doesn't hold water. If Payton wanted to "show the world" he would have done it in the Philly playoff game, but instead he rode Deuce for 140 yards and 2 TDs because that's what his gameplan dictated and it was working that game.

TexanAddict
11-13-2007, 08:05 PM
I don't need to look it up, I watched that game. Just like I watched every game. Why in the hell would he pick one game out of the entire year to "prove" that Bush was worth the #2 pick? Reggie was in the game in those situations because, like it or not, he has shown himself to have a nose for the goal line since he got here. Combine that with the fact that we don't run shovel passes and end arounds with Deuce and that's why Bush was in the game.

The arguement doesn't hold water. If Payton wanted to "show the world" he would have done it in the Philly playoff game, but instead he rode Deuce for 140 yards and 2 TDs because that's what his gameplan dictated and it was working that game.

I reiterate: In the 11 games prior Bush had 1 offensive TD. I don't think that constitutes "a nose for the goal line." Also, like I said, he rode Deuce in this game too, to the tune of 136 yds and an avg of 5.3 ypc. Inside the 10 yd line when you have one RB averaging over 5 ypc and another averaging less than 4 ypc, you would give the ball to the one that had been paving the way the whole game. I think he needed to get Bush going in this game because the 49ers had a weak defense and some of the Reggie Mania had begun to cool to the point where folks were starting to mention Bush more for his game losing fumbles than his game changing plays. I believe it was a calculated effort to regain a little of the public favor that was slowly beginning to wear off. If you don't think Deuce could have picked up those TDs that were gifted to Bush, then I believe you are mistaken.

jlam
11-14-2007, 08:09 AM
I reiterate: In the 11 games prior Bush had 1 offensive TD. I don't think that constitutes "a nose for the goal line." Also, like I said, he rode Deuce in this game too, to the tune of 136 yds and an avg of 5.3 ypc. Inside the 10 yd line when you have one RB averaging over 5 ypc and another averaging less than 4 ypc, you would give the ball to the one that had been paving the way the whole game. I think he needed to get Bush going in this game because the 49ers had a weak defense and some of the Reggie Mania had begun to cool to the point where folks were starting to mention Bush more for his game losing fumbles than his game changing plays. I believe it was a calculated effort to regain a little of the public favor that was slowly beginning to wear off. If you don't think Deuce could have picked up those TDs that were gifted to Bush, then I believe you are mistaken.

Sigh. I suppose we can go around in circles like this all day if we wanted to. Bush's struggles in the first half of 2006 were well-documented and have never been refuted by me. I was also of the opinion that, prior to his latest injury, Deuce was not used quite enough and sometimes Payton "fell in love" with Reggie's versatility and potential rather than stick with Deuce when he was running well. There's a lot of people, Saints fans, who share this general sentiment.

The sticking point lies in the fact that the reason Reggie got the ball in the red zone was because of some mythical "pressure" to prove that Reggie was all that. I watched every single snap of every single game last year - Reggie got the ball pretty much the same amount in the first half of the season in similar situations. Difference was, second half of the year he was a different player. He made those plays.

You can sit around and try to apply stats to consipiracy theories all day, but it really doesn't mean anything. You call the plays for the player that you think are going to work in a given situation. The assertation that Deuce "would have" made those TDs but they were "gifted to" Reggie is pure conjecture on your part.

Maddict5
11-14-2007, 08:25 AM
Hoping players get injured is cool. Good for you.

neither is trying to rub others teams faces in it when you've played very average at best your first yr

jlam
11-14-2007, 08:31 AM
neither is trying to rub others teams faces in it when you've played very average at best your first yr

Madden commercial Omglolz no respect!!1 :mad::mad::mad:

Texans_Chick
11-14-2007, 02:40 PM
As to the subject of the title of this thread, I believe Reggie is expected to play.

As to subject matter of what most people have been talking about in this thread, here are my FanHouse thoughts on this:

Mario Williams, Reggie Bush, Vince Young: Evaluating the Top of the 2006 Draft (http://sports.aol.com/fanhouse/2007/11/14/mario-williams-reggie-bush-vince-young-evaluating-the-top-of/)

Did anyone else catch Justice's blog comment that Williams has been playing no better than a sixth rounder?

BSofA04
11-14-2007, 02:48 PM
Did anyone else catch Justice's blog comment that Williams has been playing no better than a sixth rounder?
Hum??? Maybe trying to initiate some fan response?

tulexan
11-14-2007, 02:53 PM
I think Justice writes no better than a sixth grader

Second Honeymoon
11-14-2007, 02:59 PM
As to the subject of the title of this thread, I believe Reggie is expected to play.

As to subject matter of what most people have been talking about in this thread, here are my FanHouse thoughts on this:

Mario Williams, Reggie Bush, Vince Young: Evaluating the Top of the 2006 Draft (http://sports.aol.com/fanhouse/2007/11/14/mario-williams-reggie-bush-vince-young-evaluating-the-top-of/)

good for Justice, because its true.

bottom line is that if he wasn't chosen #1 overall he would be fighting for playing time even on our DL. no doubt.

he doesn't get double teamed like most homers will blindly use as an excuse. tight ends have little to no trouble handling him by themselves. almost all of his sacks have been coverage sacks or where another player has collapsed the pocket and he is just johnny on the spot. then the guy acts like he actually made a play and does the 'shhhh' sign to the fans like he just somehow justified his outrageous salary v. lack of production.

As long as our coaching staff keeps labeling his average 'just a guy' production as 'exceptional', nothing will change in Mario. Lack of accountability, just like with David Carr. The inability to admit that you screwed up and make a change. Cochran has done a better job getting pressure on the QB than Mario during his limited time. Maybe its time to sit the guy down and make him earn playing time. Didn't we learn anything with the way this organization handled Carr? It seems they didn't.

If you think Mario has been exceptional, please go look at his stat line, look at our 3rd down defense ratio, look at our lack of sacks, our lack of hurries, and our lack of wins v. quality QBs. It's not all on Mario, but he isn't making people around him better which is what is expected for the money he is making, teh salary cap he is using, and the playing time he is getting.....then when you add the fact on the littany of quality players we passed on, it just makes things even look more pathetic.

I think Mario can be an effective player in a couple years, but I bet its with another team after we jettison him and his outrageous cap cost v. production. I think the only hope we have is getting Dorsey from LSU and putting him next to Mario and maybe Dorsey can teach Mario how a real man plays the Defensive Line. Mario Dorsey Okoye Weaver/Cochran/Maddox could be really nice....sadly the only way we get a shot at Dorsey is if the season tanks.

Errant Hothy
11-14-2007, 03:03 PM

I wonder if he would apply the same logic to his precious VY or Reggie Bush? Cause if he did, they would be getting 6th round grades as well. Somehow I doubt Justice would see it that way.

Second Honeymoon
11-14-2007, 03:10 PM
I wonder if he would apply the same logic to his precious VY or Reggie Bush? Cause if he did, they would be getting 6th round grades as well. Somehow I doubt Justice would see it that way.

VY would be getting low grades for his play this year, that is for sure. As for Bush, he gets a mid to late 1st Round grade easily. He isn't worth the money they are paying him and the pick they used but I doubt they would change the pick if they could. i doubt the Titans would either.....If the Texans wouldn't change their pick of Mario, they need a lobotomy. I guess that is my whole argument. Bush and VY have both shown why they were picked so high....not consistently but you see flashes of the talent. With Mario the flashes have been relatively non-existent and it was no different than when he was in college. He feasted on the crap teams and never did anything special against a good team. Just another non-competitive flatlining workout warrior as the #1 overall pick. Just like that embarassment called David Carr.

Texans_Chick
11-14-2007, 03:26 PM

bottom line is that if he wasn't chosen #1 overall he would be fighting for playing time even on our DL. no doubt.

He is playing over 90% of the defensive snaps according to Kubiak. That is a pretty high number for a defensive lineman.

You are saying that the Texans are playing him that much just because of what pick he was?

Which Texan would you rather have getting more playing time than Williams at the DE position?

infantrycak
11-14-2007, 03:44 PM

Ummm, yeah doubt. Mario has been very good at holding his line or pushing it. There is a reason folks aren't running at him as much as away from him.

he doesn't get double teamed like most homers will blindly use as an excuse.

Good lord, learn that there is something in between 100% and 0%. Mario is not constantly double teamed but he is double teamed considerably. It is beyond silly to claim he never gets double teamed.

tight ends have little to no trouble handling him by themselves.

Sure they handle him--on three step drops.

Second Honeymoon
11-14-2007, 03:55 PM
Team's don't double team him out of fear but only when the play calls for it. Even scrubs will get doubleteamed every once in a while. OC aren't staying up at night gameplanning for Mario, lets put it that way. When teams draw up blocking schemes on plays, sometimes it calls for two men to go to the point of attack in order to better guarantee a hole to open up. Getting 'double teamed' on running plays is just football. How many times have you seen Mario get double teamed on a passing play? He gets the occasional helpful chip by the RB or TE as they go out on a screen pass, but generally there is no need. Mario just dances away like he is at his senior Prom. He also seems hesitant to stick his nose in there. Soft, just like the rest of the team and more importantly, the Head Coach.

As for his cost v. production, anyone knows that the Texans are on the losing end of that transaction. did anyone on the Texans look at Mario's stats in college where he would get all his numbers against basketball schools? or the fact that he wasn't even the best defensive lineman on his college football team (manny lawson won D MVP) or were they just enamored by his workout measurements and pre-draft signability?

I am not happy with Mario's production and play on the field. There, I said it. The organization seems like they are happy with his play. Good for them. I would give them the benefit of the doubt but this is the same braintrust that put their money on David Carr. I apologize for the lack of faith.

BSofA04
11-14-2007, 03:59 PM

:um:
Right, because Kubiak is "covering" for Mario when he has recently praised him as our most consitent defensive lineman. Kubiak has also been critical of Mario when he plays crappy so I'm not sure where your (unrealitic) expectations are. Seems to me that you're one of those fans who has already made up his mind on Mario Williams, no matter what he does (wait...add Gary Kubiak to that list). Fight on man, but you're being over-critical and unrealistic.

infantrycak
11-14-2007, 04:03 PM
Team's don't double team him out of fear but only when the play calls for it. Even scrubs will get doubleteamed every once in a while. OC aren't staying up at night gameplanning for Mario, lets put it that way.

Well I'll just trust the opposing coaches who have said they game plan for him rather than your clairvoyance. And yes there have been double teams on him on passing plays--that's not an excuse it is just reality. You can make your point that you think Mario is under performing without twisting the facts.

Insideop
11-14-2007, 04:12 PM

No TC, I didn't read Justice's blog. Nor do I read any of his biased articles or blogs concerning Mario. I prefer instead to read the comments from the Head Coach, who has played and coached in the NFL for over 20 years, has 2 SB rings as an OC, and has watched and studied miles of film on Mario and the team. So, whether Kubiak's opinion of Mario is biased or not, I'll take what he says over anything that "hack" from the Chronicle says! JMHO! :texflag:

Ole Miss Texan
11-14-2007, 04:18 PM
I am not happy with Mario's production and play on the field. There, I said it.

As am I, but it seems you're being blinded by your 'hater-esque' attitude towards Mario. You are so against that pick your making it sound like the guy is completely worthless and should be cut but he won't be b/c he's being paid so much. The majority of players drafted that high are all underperforming whether you compare them to their hype or to their contract. The Rookie salaries and guaranteed $ is sky high for the top picks-very few will actually earn their pay.

The fact is Mario is the best defensive end on our team. Whether he was drafted #1 overall or in the 7th round, he'd be on the field playing.

The beauty of the DL is that they work together as a unit. It's not a bunch of individuals trying to get to the QB. Great DL's are good because they work together. Hypothetical: Amobi penetrates up the middle forcing the QB to move left. Mario bull rushes the LT, the QB is pushed into his own player and falls. This is a combined effort on both players to get the sack. As is if Mario "over pursued" forcing the QB to step up in the pocket...our secondary actually is worth a crap forcing the QB to hold on the ball for 4 seconds instead of 3, and Amobi arm tackles the QB and brings him down.

Blindly watching this one would say Amobi is a beast (which he is) but the true sack came from the TEAM, Mario making the QB step up and the Secondary not allowing wide open wr's.

Ole Miss Texan
11-14-2007, 04:20 PM
I don't think Mario is playing exeptionally well but I don't think he's been a complete bust either. Is he underperforming his contract, yes. Would the majority of other players drafted #1 be doing the same?...I'm going to guess and say yes.

RTP2110
11-14-2007, 04:21 PM
Cool, so is Bush playing?

CloakNNNdagger
11-15-2007, 04:04 AM
Cool, so is Bush playing?

Bush WILL (http://www.neworleansprofootball.com/111407notes.html) face the hungry Texans on Sunday. He will be faced with the formidable task of trying to knock the chip off the shoulders of an entire team.:cowboy1:

Tedc
11-15-2007, 06:48 AM
No TC, I didn't read Justice's blog. Nor do I read any of his biased articles or blogs concerning Mario. I prefer instead to read the comments from the Head Coach, who has played and coached in the NFL for over 20 years, has 2 SB rings as an OC, and has watched and studied miles of film on Mario and the team. So, whether Kubiak's opinion of Mario is biased or not, I'll take what he says over anything that "hack" from the Chronicle says! JMHO! :texflag:

Did you also take what Kubiak said about David Carr being the guy who can take us to the Super Bowl?

Also, being all of that you stated above, how is it that he can't manage the clock?

Runner
11-15-2007, 06:57 AM
Bush WILL (http://www.neworleansprofootball.com/111407notes.html) face the hungry Texans on Sunday. He will be faced with the formidable task of trying to knock the chip off the shoulders of an entire team.:cowboy1:

I don't know - I bet there are some players that would like to have him lining up in a Texans uniform. I doubt they take the first pick "rivalry" (for lack of a better word) hype very seriously.

Maddict5
11-15-2007, 07:34 AM
New Orleans Saints RB Reggie Bush

(on if he and DE Mario Williams will be forever linked) “Yes, more than likely, and that’s fine. I feel like it’s more of a negative thing for him and not for me.”

(on why that is) “Well, because people are always comparing, people are always saying how Houston made a mistake. But it is what it is and I’m not worried about it, I’m sure he’s not worried about it, but like I said it’s more of a negative story for him than me.”

(on why he has not had a huge rushing game) “I’d rather skip that question. I don’t want to answer that question.”

anyway saw this awesome quote from brees

Question from reporter: At any point in that first half Sunday did you feel like you were going back to the Drew we saw in the first four games? Kind of like the “Good Drew, Bad Drew” persona?

Drew Brees: “Can I just go ahead and say that’s the dumbest thing I have ever heard."

and no.. surprisingly that reporter wasnt john mcclain:)

Kaiser Toro
11-15-2007, 07:39 AM
Since I never got to see Gale Sayers I was hoping that I would get to see the next one this Sunday. I enjoy watching the dimunitive scat back from LSU more than the overhyped and compensated one for the Saints.

Texans_Chick
11-15-2007, 08:27 AM
Did you also take what Kubiak said about David Carr being the guy who can take us to the Super Bowl?

Also, being all of that you stated above, how is it that he can't manage the clock?

Actualy to be fair, when Carr was re-signed, it was Bob McNair that was saying that Carr was the quarterback that was going to take the Texans to the Super Bowl.

When Kubiak was asked about that, he thought that question was unfair. That no one guy is going to take you to the Super Bowl, that quarterbacking is part of a larger team effort.

I remember that listening to it on the radio because my thought at the time was that Kubiak was much more realistic about what one player can do for you. And the contrast was pretty stark between McNair's statements and Kubiak's.

djones90
11-15-2007, 10:05 AM
No way am I scared of Reggie in any sense.

its alright not to be scared but we better worry because this guy still has the skills to break any touch he gets but as long as we are in the area he will just lay down or go out of bounds. wimp

TexansSeminole
11-15-2007, 10:07 AM
its alright not to be scared but we better worry because this guy still has the skills to break any touch he gets but as long as we are in the area he will just lay down or go out of bounds. wimp

I don't think he is a wimp or anything like that. I just don't think he can run between the tackles successfully for a full game, much less a full season.

primadox
11-15-2007, 10:16 AM
Actualy to be fair, when Carr was re-signed, it was Bob McNair that was saying that Carr was the quarterback that was going to take the Texans to the Super Bowl.

When Kubiak was asked about that, he thought that question was unfair. That no one guy is going to take you to the Super Bowl, that quarterbacking is part of a larger team effort.

I remember that listening to it on the radio because my thought at the time was that Kubiak was much more realistic about what one player can do for you. And the contrast was pretty stark between McNair's statements and Kubiak's.

I remember that too. Great recall on that; thanks!

Longtime Saints fan here, living in Houston. Texans are my "other team" but since I've been pulling for the Saints since their early years, I won't switch my allegiance...sorry! :) I'm either a very loyal fan or a sucker for punishment, LOL. Anyway, here's to a good game with as many starters back as possible, and please, no more injuries for either team!! And yes, I'm starting Andre Johnson in all of the fantasy teams I have him on...I'm no fool. Even if the Saints get ahead, the secondary is our weak spot and I fully expect the Texans to try and take advantage of that.

Here's to a good time for all this Sunday! We'll be tailgating away in the blue lot!

Texans_Chick
11-15-2007, 11:48 AM
Hmmm, Matt Mosley at ESPN picked up my Mario, Vince, Bush post.

Hashmarks: Mario v. Reggie (http://myespn.go.com/blogs/hashmarks/0-3-826/Mario-vs--Reggie.html?post=true)

This is his conclusion:

The Texans made a really bad decision, and trying to justify it with forced praise of a mediocre defensive end just makes things worse. I don't think Williams will ever play in a Pro Bowl, and that's not good news when you take a player at the top of the draft.

Oh really? I don't think Kubiak is forcing his praise because he hasn't hestitated to criticize in the past.

And I can't say that Bush's performance against the Rams of 7 carries for 17 yards, 1 TD, 5 catches for 27 yards and a mild concussion coming off a week where he couldn't practice because of a bummed knee makes me wish that the Texans woulda have taken Bush.

In retrospect, with what I know now, I wish the Texans could have traded back, I suppose, but with the way the draft was, I don't believe that was realistically possible.

Probably the best peformance at the top of the 2005 draft is AJ Hawk, and I'd rather have Ryans anyway.

dtran04
11-15-2007, 11:54 AM
Reading the conference calls on the main site is kinda funny. The media gave Reggie some hard nosed questions. I got the sense he was uncomfortable to say the least.

ubecool454
11-15-2007, 11:59 AM
Doesn't the NFL have a rule that if a player suffers a concussion they have to sit out the following week for precautionary measures?

nunusguy
11-15-2007, 12:34 PM
Mosley needs to talk to one of his associates at ESPN, Bill Parsells, and ask him how and why he ranked the players coming out of college and into the 2006 NFL Draft.
And to Bushs response about his accomplishments (or lack of) as a running back, sounds like his response about him, his family, free rent and his X-agent when at USC - "No Comment".

disaacks3
11-15-2007, 12:38 PM
Doesn't the NFL have a rule that if a player suffers a concussion they have to sit out the following week for precautionary measures? I know that they had that for QBs (they had to be certified by a Neurologist before their return), but if they passed the exams, then they could still play.

jlam
11-15-2007, 02:06 PM

http://fcis.oise.utoronto.ca/~rchilds/ROLEPLAY/red_x_mark.jpg

Ole Miss Texan
11-15-2007, 02:44 PM
While I think Reggie Bush is overated, his toughness is underated.

jlam
11-15-2007, 03:03 PM
While I think Reggie Bush is overated, his toughness is underated.

A perfectly logical and acceptable opinion. While there's a lot of things Reggie Bush isn't, the notion that he isn't a tough player is utterly ridiculous. He's not a powerful back and I don't think he ever will be. His durablility might be questioned. He is undoubtedly overhyped, although the qualifications for that apply to many players. But the bottom line is I appreciate what he brings to the field on Sundays and don't think we'd be as good a team without him.

CloakNNNdagger
11-15-2007, 07:48 PM
By the end of the season, we will have a better idea of how "durable" a player Bush is, if he is kept in the role of "premiere running back." My guess is that we are already getting a glimpse of the answer..............and the final answer may come before the season's end........that is, before the Saints season's end............

TxDavid
11-15-2007, 08:37 PM
Looks like Bush will be playing. Courtesy of the roto.....

Bush, who reportedly suffered a concussion in Week 10, is not listed on New Orleans' first Week 11 injury report.
It looks like Bush will be available for full duty on Sunday.

edo783
11-15-2007, 09:06 PM

Sounds about right for someone who writes like a sixth grader.

El Amigo Invisible
11-15-2007, 09:33 PM
Looks like Bush will be playing. Courtesy of the roto.....

I knew his concussion was just an excuse for going 7 rushes for 17 yards.He will play.

threetoedpete
11-16-2007, 10:40 AM
I hope he is going to play. It would be a timeless image if Mario Williams were to lay a beastly tackle on him. It would shout a thousand words into the ears of every Bush manloving, Mario hater.

First someone needs to teach the guy a move. Put this foot here. Put that foot there. We'll see.

threetoedpete
11-16-2007, 10:44 AM
A perfectly logical and acceptable opinion. While there's a lot of things Reggie Bush isn't, the notion that he isn't a tough player is utterly ridiculous. He's not a powerful back and I don't think he ever will be. His durablility might be questioned. He is undoubtedly overhyped, although the qualifications for that apply to many players. But the bottom line is I appreciate what he brings to the field on Sundays and don't think we'd be as good a team without him.

Yeah but the big question with him has always been is he worth the fifty million ? He's not exactly a steady Eddie. Lets see, they started smashing him between the tackles and now has a boo-boo ? Is that it ? Cap wolves are coming buddy. Enjoy it.

TexansSeminole
11-16-2007, 10:46 AM
By the end of the season, we will have a better idea of how "durable" a player Bush is, if he is kept in the role of "premiere running back." My guess is that we are already getting a glimpse of the answer..............and the final answer may come before the season's end........that is, before the Saints season's end............

I know they have him starting, but they don't run him that much, so I would be hesitant to acll him the "premiere running back" even now that Deuce is out. Looks to me like they just don't have one.

threetoedpete
11-16-2007, 10:49 AM
Hmmm, Matt Mosley at ESPN picked up my Mario, Vince, Bush post.

Hashmarks: Mario v. Reggie (http://myespn.go.com/blogs/hashmarks/0-3-826/Mario-vs--Reggie.html?post=true)

This is his conclusion:

Oh really? I don't think Kubiak is forcing his praise because he hasn't hestitated to criticize in the past.

And I can't say that Bush's performance against the Rams of 7 carries for 17 yards, 1 TD, 5 catches for 27 yards and a mild concussion coming off a week where he couldn't practice because of a bummed knee makes me wish that the Texans woulda have taken Bush.

In retrospect, with what I know now, I wish the Texans could have traded back, I suppose, but with the way the draft was, I don't believe that was realistically possible.

Probably the best peformance at the top of the 2005 draft is AJ Hawk, and I'd rather have Ryans anyway.

Well T.C., you see the guy running down WRs on reveres...you know the tallnet is there. But clearly, after two position coaches and twenty five games,I mean , you can teach a horse to stomp the ground four times when you say "what is two plus two ?". Doesn't mean the horse understands the concept of computation. After twenty five games...you gotta start to wonder what this horse is capable of processing ? The guy still has one move in the bag...the bull rush. That's it. You see another one please let us know.

jlam
11-16-2007, 12:27 PM
I knew his concussion was just an excuse for going 7 rushes for 17 yards.He will play.

Lmao. I knew Matt Shaub's concussion was just an excuse for his 2 ints and 31.3 QB rating.

One star post. :bowdown:http://texanstalk.com/forums/images/rating/rating_1.gif

jlam
11-16-2007, 12:34 PM
Yeah but the big question with him has always been is he worth the fifty million ? He's not exactly a steady Eddie. Lets see, they started smashing him between the tackles and now has a boo-boo ? Is that it ? Cap wolves are coming buddy. Enjoy it.

Meh, honestly though who is worth that much money before they've proven anything? Is Mario? Is D'Brickashaw Fergeson? Hell, is Vince Young?

Sometimes they are sometimes not, but that's the system we have. That's the market.

I think it's logical to question his durability, at least until he proves it to be a non-issue. However, this is not a boo-boo - it's a mild concussion resulting from a helmet to helmet hit. It's football, that happens sometimes and I'm not complaining about the hit as I don't think it was intentional. But he's not even missing any time from it so I'm not sure why the big deal. idonno:

Also, there's been little to no "smashing between the tackles", even though I wish there would be from time to time.

And the "cap wolves" are overrated. See: Redskins, Washington. Weren't they supposed to have imploded as a football team by now?

jlam
11-16-2007, 03:45 PM
Just as an update since I mentioned it earlier, Jammal Brown didn't practice today nor has he practiced all week and is now listed as doubtful for the game. Second year man Zack Strief will start at LT of Brown indeed can't go. This is a virtual certainty in my opinion since I don't recall anyone who couldn't practice on Friday playing on Sunday during Payton's tenure here.

Good news for your Dline as Brown was getting back to last season's form before he hurt his calf last week. I have some amount of confidence in Strief in that I don't think he will be anything approaching a disaster - he's done admirably when called upon, especially for a 7th round pick - but I'm sure we won't be as likely to "leave him on an island" if you will and will have to adjust blocking schemes in order to compensate. Takes away some offensive flexibility if nothing else.

Errant Hothy
11-16-2007, 03:50 PM
Just as an update since I mentioned it earlier, Jammal Brown didn't practice today nor has he practiced all week and is now listed as doubtful for the game. Second year man Zack Strief will start at LT of Brown indeed can't go. This is a virtual certainty in my opinion since I don't recall anyone who couldn't practice on Friday playing on Sunday during Payton's tenure here.

Good news for your Dline as Brown was getting back to last season's form before he hurt his calf last week. I have some amount of confidence in Strief in that I don't think he will be anything approaching a disaster - he's done admirably when called upon, especially for a 7th round pick - but I'm sure we won't be as likely to "leave him on an island" if you will and will have to adjust blocking schemes in order to compensate. Takes away some offensive flexibility if nothing else.

I'm sorry that Brown is hurt, but that could potentially be great news for the Texans.

The loss of Brown definitly hurts y'all more then the loss of Green hurts us.

jlam
11-16-2007, 03:55 PM
I'm sorry that Brown is hurt, but that could potentially be great news for the Texans.

The loss of Brown definitly hurts y'all more then the loss of Green hurts us.

I agree actually. Brown is a bit streaky as an offensive lineman it seems, but when he's playing well, he's easily one of the best in the game. Not having him limits us no doubt.

Texans_Chick
11-17-2007, 08:11 AM
Here's some thought.

Reggie is going to play because there is nothing on the injury report that says otherwise. But that being said...

He reportedly got a concussion against the Rams.

The Rams had at the time the 25th rated run defense. Reggie didn't do so good at running that week. He got 7 carries for 17 yards.

He didn't practice much that week because of what he described as a "knee bone bruise." He said it didn't hurt that much at the time he banged it, but it hurt later that night. He said that there wasn't any swelling though. No team official mentioned the "bone bruise" that was Reggie's description.

So, Bush is coming to play the Texans coming off a ragging performance after not practicing with a knee bruise, and then suffered a concussion from a helmet to helmet hit in the Rams game that knocked him out of game temporarily. He was described as being woozy after that game.

When he was asked this week why he hadn't had a break out performance this year he responded:

"I'd rather skip that question," Bush said. "I don't want to answer that question."

Of course, after not having a break out game this season, suffering a knee bone bruise and a mild concussion, that probably means that he will have a killer game against the Texans defense. I will be really interested to see what the defensive play calling looks like this week.

My prediction torch, torch, torch, uh er duh, maybe we should adjust something.

Specnatz
11-17-2007, 08:25 AM
Well T.C., you see the guy running down WRs on reveres...you know the tallnet is there. But clearly, after two position coaches and twenty five games,I mean , you can teach a horse to stomp the ground four times when you say "what is two plus two ?". Doesn't mean the horse understands the concept of computation. After twenty five games...you gotta start to wonder what this horse is capable of processing ? The guy still has one move in the bag...the bull rush. That's it. You see another one please let us know.

So you are calling Mario dumber than a horse? Well I am curious as to what you have seen at practice that they are teaching him? Before certain people who like to only blame Mario for all of our defensive line problems and leave out every other lineman (head scratcher there, I mean agenda) and there was nothing new in any scheme until last week and it was on three plays only. If the coaches can't seem to figure out how to change their play calling or change their schemes how in the hell do you expect them to teach anyone a pass rush move?

tulexan
11-17-2007, 08:53 AM
Of course, after not having a break out game this season, suffering a knee bone bruise and a mild concussion, that probably means that he will have a killer game against the Texans defense. I will be really interested to see what the defensive play calling looks like this week.

My prediction torch, torch, torch, uh er duh, maybe we should adjust something.

Reggie is too well known to have a huge game against the Texans. He will probably get hurt early and Pierre Thomas will rush for 200 yards

Texans_Chick
11-17-2007, 01:23 PM
Reggie is too well known to have a huge game against the Texans. He will probably get hurt early and Pierre Thomas will rush for 200 yards

I don't know about that.

Signed,
Antonio Gates Getting Wide Open

tulexan
11-17-2007, 01:57 PM
I don't know about that.

Signed,
Antonio Gates Getting Wide Open

True. Are we going to have to worry about Billy Miller having a huge game because he wasn't re-signed by the Texans?