PDA

View Full Version : 10 random thoughts from the bye week

drewmar74
11-11-2007, 06:17 PM
1. As this season progresses, I feel like I'm watching a bunch of teams battle for third place. The Colts and the Pats have looked so much better than everyone else that comparisons so far almost seem unfair. Yeah, there are some other good teams, but I just don't think anyone can contend with Indy or the Evil Empire right now.

2. I hate the Cowboys. I hate everything they stand for. I hate them even more for having TO on the roster. I hate watching them win. I now also hate the Giants for playing some really dumb football and allowing self-inflicted penalties to take themselves out of the game against the 'Boys.

3. The Coors Light commercial where the "three stooges" are asking Bill Parcell's about the existence of bigfoot trips me out. Not because I think its funny, but because the "bigfoot" standing next to the stooges reminds me of Solomon Wilcots.

4. The big "but" associated with Green Bay so far this season was the lack of a running game. Well, I watched them last week and this week and I have to say that Ryan Grant looks like he might be able to give the Pack enough of a spark to make folks respect the run. Grant went for 119 against a stingy Vikings run D that kept LT in check last week.

5. I'm calling it now: Brian Billick is fired at the end of the season. No, that's not a huge gamble as far as statements go, but I'm still making it.

6. Everyone keeps talking about how the Steelers could sneak up on Indy or the Pats. Cleveland gave Pittsburgh all they wanted today and, true enough, Cleveland has been rolling on offense right now. So said, I still remember how New England toyed with Cleveland a few weeks back which makes me seriously doubt that Pittsburgh could knock off NE. But hey, I'll guess we'll find out for certain in week 14.

7. I really thought that Miami might actually get a win this week. Heck, I even watched a couple of drives where Jesse Chatman was running well and Lemon looked decent. Buffalo's D looked gassed and I thought "Certainly, certainly this is the week that the 'Phins get a win." Nope. Miami sure is taking this draft position thing seriously.

8. Will the real Detroit Lions please stand up?

9. Congratulations to the St. Louis Rams who finally got off the snide against the Taints. I'm hoping that Kubiak and Co. took notes on how to violate that Saints pass D.

10. To quote Hoth-Boy "The bye week sucks." It does. I know our boys needed it, but man, it does suck.

kastofsna
11-11-2007, 06:38 PM
Miami will win eventually. they're playing in a lot of close games, and the o-line and the running game is just too good. defense looked really good at times today, too. i'm not seeing 0-16 at ALL.

TexansSeminole
11-11-2007, 06:47 PM
Miami will win eventually. they're playing in a lot of close games, and the o-line and the running game is just too good. defense looked really good at times today, too. i'm not seeing 0-16 at ALL.

When do we see Beck? Still waiting for that.

adam
11-11-2007, 06:54 PM
When do we see Beck? Still waiting for that.

Agreed. Lemon has looked relatively decent, but in no way is he the answer for the future of the Miami Dolphins. I would say that it's time to get the kid's feet wet.

As far as the Dolphins record goes, I am thinking that they may pull together and win a few game toward the end of the season. I think you guys may be able to get it together and split the series with Jets, at the very least. I'll give you guys 2-14, with wins over the Bills and Jets.

kastofsna
11-11-2007, 06:55 PM
i'm hoping this week. i don't see why not.

oh, and i expect one of Ted Ginn's TD returns to not be called back. i mean what are the odds that he'll have 4 called back in one season...

TexanSam
11-11-2007, 06:57 PM
2. I hate the Cowboys. I hate everything they stand for. I hate them even more for having TO on the roster. I hate watching them win. I now also hate the Giants for playing some really dumb football and allowing self-inflicted penalties to take themselves out of the game against the 'Boys.

What the heck do the Cowboys stand for? Do the Colts stand for the battle between good and evil? Do the Texans stand for prosperity? And do the Cardinals stand for the quest to continually get better while failing at every attempt?

Maddict5
11-11-2007, 07:30 PM
my thoughts:

1- fat albert showed his worth today
2- roydell williams impressed again
3- agreed on ryan grant..how was he undrafted- big,fast and played at a decent college
4- despite some drops today, im really starting to like greg jennings
5- cowboys are a good all round team
6- romo continues to impress and julius jones looked good gor a change
7- giants killed themselves but are a good match for any team
8- steve mc nair is terrible.. looks like Dc last year
9- cinci offence is improved with henry back but is still off
10- i dont know if the saints losing is a good or bad thing

oh yeah, the bye week does indeed suck

Speedy
11-11-2007, 07:32 PM
1) "The Titans are getting it done without a quarterback" -Dan Marino

Quote of the year.

2) Indeed...the Packers with a running game will be a force.

3) Oakland/Chicago, Miami/Buffalo, Cincy/Baltimore.....YAAAAAAWWWWWWN!!!!!!

4) Could Denver or Detroit be more Jeckyl & Hyde?

5) What bad timing for the Saints to get slapped around and have to pull into Reliant next week pissed off.

6) How 'bout them Cowboys?:tomato:
They had some very dumb penalties as well that helped make that game closer than it needed to be.

7) If there's going to start being parity in college football then they'll HAVE to get a playoff in place....right?

drewmar74
11-11-2007, 07:49 PM
What the heck do the Cowboys stand for? Do the Colts stand for the battle between good and evil? Do the Texans stand for prosperity? And do the Cardinals stand for the quest to continually get better while failing at every attempt?

I could go off on a rant here, but seeing as I'm still hurting like a m**** ******** from those wisdom teeth I'll sum it up by saying that the Cowboys (at least in my mind) are the physical embodiment (sp?) of Jerry Jones' ego.

I really don't think any one else stands for anything.

Oh, and I take back what I said about the Colts playing well. The schizo Chargers are kicking their tails right now.

StarStruck
11-11-2007, 07:50 PM
1. As this season progresses, I feel like I'm watching a bunch of teams battle for third place. The Colts and the Pats have looked so much better than everyone else that comparisons so far almost seem unfair. Yeah, there are some other good teams, but I just don't think anyone can contend with Indy or the Evil Empire right now.
The Colts better come up with their "A" game or things could look really ugly tonight.
I prefer hate to ignore. Seems TO has finally found a home. Off button. Both teams had penalties that could have negatively affected the outcome, like taunting.
3. Why are the Rockets struggling against the Bobcats?
4. Thank goodness AD's injury seems minor.
5. Church was fantastic.
6. Props to PVAMU.
7. Who will be the next team upset in BCS?
8. I can't believe the high schools regular season has ended already.
9. I hope the Saints loss becomes a two game streak.
10. Congrats to the Eagles.

Dread-Head
11-11-2007, 09:34 PM

6. Everyone keeps talking about how the Steelers could sneak up on Indy or the Pats. Cleveland gave Pittsburgh all they wanted today and, true enough, Cleveland has been rolling on offense right now. So said, I still remember how New England toyed with Cleveland a few weeks back which makes me seriously doubt that Pittsburgh could knock off NE. But hey, I'll guess we'll find out for certain in week 14.

8. Will the real Detroit Lions please stand up?

9. Congratulations to the St. Louis Rams who finally got off the snide against the Taints. I'm hoping that Kubiak and Co. took notes on how to violate that Saints pass D.

10. To quote Hoth-Boy "The bye week sucks." It does. I know our boys needed it, but man, it does suck.

1 & 6. I despise the Cowgirls as well my friend. I pray the Steelers win their 6th superbowl this year just to piss off all the Cowgirl fans who want the girls to do it first.

8. No.

9. Come on. Kubes wasn't paying attention.

10. I started an Amy Tan novel and enjoyed some Japanese food. I missed watching the Texans but they'll be back next week.

kastofsna
11-11-2007, 09:59 PM
7) If there's going to start being parity in college football then they'll HAVE to get a playoff in place....right?
with all the money they're making, and the high ratings every week, and the fact that most of the time people feel the true champion has been crowned, nope, i see no reason at all why they would want to change.

drewmar74
11-11-2007, 10:02 PM
with all the money they're making, and the high ratings every week, and the fact that most of the time people feel the true champion has been crowned, nope, i see no reason at all why they would want to change.

Too much money being made in the bowl system, methinks.

Speedy
11-12-2007, 12:29 AM

Really? That was sarcasm, right? I don't know ANYBODY that thinks a true champion gets crowned. Anybody EVER. Unless of course they went to the school that won.

And if you think there's money and high ratings now, what would a 16 team playoff do? That is if you really think the Music City Bowl, Mieneke Car Care Bowl, Texas Bowl, Motor City Bowl, Champs Sports Bowl, etc. are pulling in tons of money and ratings. I don't have last year's tv ratings, but 2 years ago none of those bowls mentioned got a rating over 2.20. Now you make those bowls first round matchups in a 16 team playoff....higher ratings...more money.

Your season isn't over if you have a hiccup with 3 weeks to go against Illinios. I don't get how anybody can still support a vote 'em in champion. That just doesn't make sense and never has.

As it stands now, do you think LSU and Oregon should play for the title while an undefeated BCS conference team in Kansas is out of the mix? Or say Kansas loses the Big 12 to OU and everyone else but Mizzou of course, wins out. Then you've got SEVEN 1 loss teams in the top 10 and only 2 get VOTED to play for a title. That is absolutely insane. How anybody thinks they get a true champion out of that, can't be the sharpest brick in the elevator.

bah007
11-12-2007, 01:05 AM
Really? That was sarcasm, right? I don't know ANYBODY that thinks a true champion gets crowned. Anybody EVER.

Well I thought that Florida was the best team last year. And they won the championship.

I thought Texas was the best team in 05. And they won the championship.

I thought USC was the best team in 04. And they won the championship.

I thought LSU was the best team in 03. And they won the championship.

Need I go on?

BSofA04
11-12-2007, 01:39 AM
Well I thought that Florida was the best team last year. And they won the championship.

I thought Texas was the best team in 05. And they won the championship.

I thought USC was the best team in 04. And they won the championship.

I thought LSU was the best team in 03. And they won the championship.

Need I go on?

Yes, you forgot to tell us who the team to beat is gonna be this year? LSU??

bah007
11-12-2007, 01:53 AM
Yes, you forgot to tell us who the team to beat is gonna be this year? LSU??

Well my projection was Oregon vs. LSU so the winner of that would be the best team.

This is assuming Kansas loses to Missouri or Oklahoma.

Ckw
11-12-2007, 02:28 AM
i'm hoping this week. i don't see why not.

oh, and i expect one of Ted Ginn's TD returns to not be called back. i mean what are the odds that he'll have 4 called back in one season...

Is this a fact? Three TD returns called back? Wow man! I feel for you. It sucks losing. Hopefully your Dolphins will start winning and my Texans will at least get to 7 wins. Man you guys need to try out Beck though. I'm ready to see what he can do.

Ckw
11-12-2007, 02:32 AM
What the heck do the Cowboys stand for?

Sadly, winning. Houston is like the red headed step child. Except in basketball. At least we have our two championships. But that's why I hate the Cowboys. I'll admit it. It's jealousy. Jealousy that they won all those Super Bowls and get that whole "America's Team" label. And then they go and get TO (a complete low life) and Tank Johnson (another low life). Yes, I hate the Cowboys. I hate the Mavericks. I'm impartial to the Rangers. I like the Stars. But man I hate the Cowboys!

Ckw
11-12-2007, 02:36 AM
3. Why are the Rockets struggling against the Bobcats?

Because Rafer keeps thinking he should shoot the ball. 9 times out of 10, he's wrong.

kastofsna
11-12-2007, 07:03 AM
Really? That was sarcasm, right? I don't know ANYBODY that thinks a true champion gets crowned. Anybody EVER. Unless of course they went to the school that won.

And if you think there's money and high ratings now, what would a 16 team playoff do? That is if you really think the Music City Bowl, Mieneke Car Care Bowl, Texas Bowl, Motor City Bowl, Champs Sports Bowl, etc. are pulling in tons of money and ratings. I don't have last year's tv ratings, but 2 years ago none of those bowls mentioned got a rating over 2.20. Now you make those bowls first round matchups in a 16 team playoff....higher ratings...more money.

Your season isn't over if you have a hiccup with 3 weeks to go against Illinios. I don't get how anybody can still support a vote 'em in champion. That just doesn't make sense and never has.

As it stands now, do you think LSU and Oregon should play for the title while an undefeated BCS conference team in Kansas is out of the mix? Or say Kansas loses the Big 12 to OU and everyone else but Mizzou of course, wins out. Then you've got SEVEN 1 loss teams in the top 10 and only 2 get VOTED to play for a title. That is absolutely insane. How anybody thinks they get a true champion out of that, can't be the sharpest brick in the elevator.
i think most people that think the best team didn't win are just saying that because they don't like the BCS. simple as that.

and if KU wins out, they're playing for the title.

Speedy
11-12-2007, 01:03 PM
Ya'll are good with the way it is because I don't think you're really grasping what a playoff bowl system has the potential to bring. Of course maybe you do but don't care anyway. If so, it doesn't make much sense.

As it is now, other than the money the schools get in the big bowls, the only game that really means anything is the national championship game between the 2 teams that were VOTED in. The Rose Bowl, the Fiesta Bowl, and ALL the rest are meaningless football games as they don't determine anything other than winner gets more money.

As the BCS standings are now, taking the top 16 teams, the first round of your playoffs would be:

Hawaii-LSU in the Chick-fil-A Bowl
Clemson-Oregon in the Holiday Bowl
Virginia-Kansas in the Music City Bowl
Texas-Oklahoma in the Texas Bowl (right here in Houston and you don't think UT wouldn't love another shot at OU knocking them out of the playoffs??)
Florida-Missouri in the Liberty Bowl
USC-West Virginia in the Meineke Car Care Bowl
Virginia Tech-Ohio St. in the Motor City Bowl
Georgia-Arizona St. in the Champs Sports Bowl

Then your potential 2nd round matchups would be:

Georgia-LSU in the Orange Bowl
Ohio St.-Oregon in the Gator Bowl
Florida-Oklahoma or Florida-Texas in the Cotton Bowl
West Virginia-Kansas or West Virginia-Virginia in the Outback Bowl

Your potential national semifinals:

Oklahoma-LSU, Texas-LSU or even Florida-LSU in the Fiesta Bowl
West Virginia-Oregon in the Rose Bowl

And finally your championship game at the Sugar Bowl.

All those bowls then have meaning, all those bowls have sold out stadiums (the big ones do anyway of course), and all those bowls have jacked up tv ratings and jacked up money and it gets distributed to the schools and conferences just like it does now. Who watched the Meineke Car Care Bowl, or Liberty Bowl, or Motor City Bowl last year?? I watched college football from 11am to 10pm this past Saturday. I didn't see more than half those bowls I've got listed in the 1st round last year or any year, because finding out who is going to be this year's Music City Bowl champion is not appealing to anybody but the schools in that game. Make that a game where the winner gets a step closer to a national title, then I'm checking it out. The game actually means something other than just a paycheck, which they'd probably get a bigger cut if it were a playoff game.

That also eliminates the 4-7 week lull between your last game of the regular season and your bowl game. Your first round games would be played Dec. 6-8(Thu.-Sat.), 2nd round Dec. 14-15(Fri.-Sat.), semis Dec. 22(Sat.) and the title game on Jan. 7(Mon.), like it's scheduled for now.

Sorry, I just think that would get bigger buzz than March Madness, I think it would be as big as if not bigger than the NFL playoffs, and it sure as hell beats what's currently being shoved down our throats now.

kastofsna
11-12-2007, 01:18 PM
i'm not a fan of the idea of a team possibly winning 3 bowls in one season.

here's how you do a playoff which would include the bowls, and this is the only way there would be any sort of discussion for it to happen.

top 16 teams in the BCS. first round of games is played at the higher seeds home stadium, one week after the conference championships.

the winners of those games are picked to play in the 4 BCS bowl games. the losers of the first round are picked to play in the lesser bowls, with a respect towards any sort of conference affiliation those bowls have.

the losers of the BCS bowls will go home. the winners of the BCS games enter a Final Four, located at the top BCS bowl that year. the two semi-final games are played on a Thursday and Friday.

one week later, we have the national championship.

you can't have teams playing in more than one bowl.

also the Rose Bowl would never participate so it's all moot anyway.

bah007
11-12-2007, 01:24 PM

Unless one of the games was Oregon vs. Ohio State

kastofsna
11-12-2007, 01:25 PM
they wouldn't participate in a playoff to begin with, they don't want the teams participating in their bowl to go on and play again. period.

TexansSeminole
11-12-2007, 01:33 PM
You guys think they will adopt a playoff type system anytime in the next 3 or 4 years?

bah007
11-12-2007, 01:34 PM
You guys think they will adopt a playoff type system anytime in the next 3 or 4 years?

No.

kastofsna
11-12-2007, 01:35 PM
there will probably never one. the BCS folks are more than happy with the current system.

bah007
11-12-2007, 01:35 PM
there will probably never one. the BCS folks are more than happy with the current system.

So am I, to be honest.

kastofsna
11-12-2007, 01:38 PM
i too like it a lot.

there's no other regular season like college football's regular season. period.

TexansSeminole
11-12-2007, 01:38 PM
I don't think the BCS ranks teams badly I just think that a playoff system would really create a march madness type of excitement with CFB.

bah007
11-12-2007, 01:41 PM
I don't think the BCS ranks teams badly I just think that a playoff system would really create a march madness type of excitement with CFB.

The penalty for losing a game would decrease a lot.

A 3-loss Florida team & a 2-loss USC team that lost to Stanford would still be in line for the national title.

I dont want that.

Would you consider one of those teams to be the best team in all of college football if they won the tournament? I'm not sure that I would.

TexansSeminole
11-12-2007, 01:46 PM
The penalty for losing a game would decrease a lot.

A 3-loss Florida team & a 2-loss USC team that lost to Stanford would still be in line for the national title.

I dont want that.

Would you consider one of those teams to be the best team in all of college football if they won the tournament? I'm not sure that I would.

Not at first, but if they won out their games, I don't think I could argue it too much. But I may, it's hard to give an answer for.

kastofsna
11-12-2007, 01:46 PM
indeed, the reason the Stanford loss for USC was so monumental was because it immediately eliminated their chances for a title. oh well, sucks for them. top ranked teams lose in the college basketball regular season all the time, and it's never a huge upset by any means. they're still making the tournament.

Speedy
11-12-2007, 04:16 PM
i'm not a fan of the idea of a team possibly winning 3 bowls in one season.

here's how you do a playoff which would include the bowls, and this is the only way there would be any sort of discussion for it to happen.

top 16 teams in the BCS. first round of games is played at the higher seeds home stadium, one week after the conference championships.

the winners of those games are picked to play in the 4 BCS bowl games. the losers of the first round are picked to play in the lesser bowls, with a respect towards any sort of conference affiliation those bowls have.

the losers of the BCS bowls will go home. the winners of the BCS games enter a Final Four, located at the top BCS bowl that year. the two semi-final games are played on a Thursday and Friday.

one week later, we have the national championship.

you can't have teams playing in more than one bowl.

Kastofsna, I would take that in a heartbeat over this vote 'em crap that they have now.

One of the biggest arguements I hear against a playoff is what to do with the Bowls. My solution was to incorporate them into the playoff. You have a playoff and you keep the bowls at the same time and some of the lesser ones actually get watched. There's what, 32 bowl games right now? That's 64 teams out of what, 117, 119? Over HALF of D-1A college football plays a bowl game? That's as stupid as voting a national champion. And nobody is watching Central Michigan v. Middle Tennessee State in the Motor City Bowl (last year's matchup) on a Tuesday afternoon, but they would be watching (7)Ohio State v. (10)Virginia Tech in a 1st round playoff game in primetime on Thursday or Friday nights or on a Saturday.

But even your suggestion of the first round at the higher seeds school with the winners playing a BCS Bowl tourney, would be big too.

My way was to just make all the bowls have meaning to them, have the stadiums filled to capacity and have people actually tuning in to watch the Meineke Care Care Bowl that got a 1.52 tv rating 2 years ago. ALL of these bowls would easily have a 5.0 and better if there were something to play for, when only 8 of the 32 bowl games had a rating better than 5.0 the way it is now.