PDA

View Full Version : Somebody explain practice to me

Joe Texan
11-08-2007, 03:56 PM
from the public practices All I see is a bunch of guys getting millions of dollars running around going through motions. Afte the miserable Atlanta game I would have had a hellacious practice every day till the next game. Is it a rule to treat these guys like royalty while they are spending your money and blowing games like San Diego. When I was in high school We had a hard week after a loss which is why we did not lose very often.

Errant Hothy
11-08-2007, 04:07 PM
from the public practices All I see is a bunch of guys getting millions of dollars running around going through motions. Afte the miserable Atlanta game I would have had a hellacious practice every day till the next game. Is it a rule to treat these guys like royalty while they are spending your money and blowing games like San Diego. When I was in high school We had a hard week after a loss which is why we did not lose very often.

Dude, seriously?

On a side note, is it the bye week that is causing this (this being this rash of odd threads and even odder view points)?

Texan_Bill
11-08-2007, 04:09 PM
Joe, we practiced hard, with pads EVERY week. Win or lose!! But a) its a buy week, walk-thru's help with recovery - and b) Thats a lot of money invested to have someone get hurt in practice.

On a side note, is it the bye week that is causing this (this being this rash of odd threads and even odder view points)?

YUP!! Thats why I started that ridiculous thread about BSPN's grades for the halfway point of the season.

Joe Texan
11-08-2007, 04:12 PM
Dude I have never seen them in pads so I figure they are doing the same thing, and doing it in the bubble when it is hot.

I would have them outside for the whole day in the heat every day after atlanta

infantrycak
11-08-2007, 04:12 PM
So you want to take an injury riddled team and run them into the ground to punish them?

FYI--Shanahan and Kubiak are known for less impact practices concentrating more on the schemes and execution. An extra few hard reps isn't going to improve their conditioning, but them nowing the game plan and opponent by heart can provide a whole lot more return with not having TO's, getting TO's and keeping drives alive.

They do practice in pads some--you have just missed those days.

Errant Hothy
11-08-2007, 04:14 PM
Dude I have never seen them in pads so I figure they are doing the same thing, and doing it in the bubble when it is hot.

Most teams practice more without pads during the season, weather they are the 0-8 Dolphins or the 9-0 Patriots.

I would have them outside for the whole day in the heat every day after atlanta

And then when they get run the next week cause your practice methods allowed no time for recovery and left them drained before the game you'd be fired as a head coach.

You cannot compare high school practice methods to the NFL.

Joe Texan
11-08-2007, 05:08 PM
I know but a hard practice conditions them more than a book reading. And from the way these guys play it looks like they do not practice sometimes. Just want a little insite on how an nfl practice goes during the season. I have been in the bubble during the season and they looked like they did at training camp

hollywood_texan
11-08-2007, 05:18 PM
The game has change a lot over the years.

I have said this several times. The players playing today probably couldn't cut it 20 or so years ago and vice versa for the players 20 or so years ago playing today. Perfect example, you can't tell me a chain smoking Jack Lambert would be successful in the NFL today. Please take note, I am not diminishing anyone's achievements.

The physical nature of the game, conditions, and medical treatment has changed so much over the past few years. Players of today are finely tuned instruments and highly instructive schemes are required to be successful to win ball games. Whereas 20 to 30 years ago, it was pretty straight up smash mouth football to see who was tougher.

Times have changed, the game has changed, and so has practice conditions and scheduling of practices.

Double Barrel
11-08-2007, 06:52 PM
I think players today could cut it 30 years ago, especially considering the rules in place back then. Players are bigger, faster, and stronger today and they condition themselves 12 months a year.

I'd love to see the '07 Patriots against the '78 Steelers, though. Maybe one half of yesterday's rules and the other half today's rules. Interesting stuff for fan discussion.

stingray
11-08-2007, 07:09 PM
"we're talking about practice."

Rex King
11-08-2007, 10:21 PM
Wasn't there some theory that the tough preseason with Capers was causing the players to wear out when the real games started?

gtexan02
11-09-2007, 09:38 AM
Are we talking about the game?

Lucky
11-09-2007, 10:10 AM
We're talking about practice (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eGDBR2L5kzI)?

Hagar
11-09-2007, 12:30 PM
Mostly I agree with lite workouts during the bye week, but given the tackling problems I've been seeing, I think we could use a day of full pads for some tackling technique practice. You just can't practice that in short & shoulders.