PDA

View Full Version : Dunta to safety?

junior
11-05-2007, 08:58 PM
i think with the injury as serious as it looks to be, his speed will probably be down after surgery. so safety, which i think he would be a top 2 or 3 safety in the league, could be the logical move.

if bennet could meet his potential and we draft a good cb or sign a top free agent our defensive backfield could be a strength next year or in '09 depending on rehab.

and even though i am hard on him for running his mouth about team mates watch the urgency he will have to get back on the field. andre johnson could take a page from the determination that dunta will show.

i am not questioning the injury johnson has but if he were T.O., who i cant stand, he would be back on the field already. especially the way we had been playing we needed him on the field.

Hagar
11-05-2007, 11:04 PM
Anything is possible but at 5'10" and 180# dripping wet, I don't see Dunta playing Safety. Dunta has the right temperment for the position - hard hitter.

gg no re
11-05-2007, 11:19 PM
I'm thinking about how Rod Woodson recovered from his knee injury and eventually turned safety

Ole Miss Texan
11-05-2007, 11:19 PM
Robinson would get killed if he switched to safety, he's too small. He'd be taking on not only receivers but tight ends and runningbacks every single play.

He's a tough hitter to do that every now and again but asking him on every play to tackle someone that 40 lbs heavier than him is not a good idea, but heck there is no way he'd wouldn't instantly be the best FS on our team.

Ole Miss Texan
11-05-2007, 11:21 PM
I'm thinking about how Rod Woodson recovered from his knee injury and eventually turned safety

Woodson was 5-11, 205lbs.

gg no re
11-05-2007, 11:24 PM
Woodson was 5-11, 205lbs.Dunta's got a year to fill up. Where's the Burger King?

Ole Miss Texan
11-05-2007, 11:42 PM
Dunta's got a year to fill up. Where's the Burger King?

Hiding out in the mountains of Pakistan...he's scared sh*tless of Ron Dayne!

infantrycak
11-05-2007, 11:52 PM
i am not questioning the injury johnson has

Yes you are, otherwise there would be no point in mentioning it.

but if he were T.O., who i cant stand, he would be back on the field already.

Only if TO hired VY to come drop kitty tears on his knee.

especially the way we had been playing we needed him on the field.

Psst--the running game and turnovers have been what have held the Texans back, not the passing game.

dalemurphy
11-06-2007, 12:03 AM
He's small but he could play FS. That being said, if he's having surgery on his knee tomorrow that's an excellent sign. That means the swelling isn't bad and the hamstring issue isn't enough to delay it. However, it's possible, based on what I heard and didn't hear, that they are going to repair the hamstring tomorrow and won't be touching the knee... although Kubiak certainly led us to believe the surgery was going to be on the knee.

Again, we don't want to hear torn patella tendon or torn PCL!

Leahmic223
11-06-2007, 01:17 AM
Dunta is a hard worker. I don't think he's going to let this injury get in the way of him playing corner, I don't think he's going to let this slow him down too much.

Don't know how serious it is though yet.

nunusguy
11-06-2007, 08:48 AM
I don't think there is any defensive position that places more of a premium on cutting ability & maneuverability & just sheer sprinting speed than CB ? The only positions that are so dependant on those innate athletic
abilities are on offense at running back & receiver. That's why elite corners
like D-Rob are so valuable.
I dunno of a CB, so name me one who has come back from this kind of injury to return to his former self at his old position ? I hate to be so bleak,
especially about my favorite Texan, but it is what it is, which is not good at all.
BTW, he's just too small for safety.

dalemurphy
11-06-2007, 09:21 AM
I don't think there is any defensive position that places more of a premium on cutting ability & maneuverability & just sheer sprinting speed than CB ? The only positions that are so dependant on those innate athletic
I dunno of a CB, so name me one who has come back from this kind of injury to return to his former self at his old position ? I hate to be so bleak,
especially about my favorite Texan, but it is what it is, which is not good at all.

I don't have a list, but assuming it's only an ACL and maybe MCL tear, I'm sure quite a few have come back full strength... I know a lot of RBs have come back full strength from it.

nunusguy
11-06-2007, 09:43 AM
but assuming it's only an ACL and maybe MCL tear
But the initial reports are that its a much more complex & severe injury(s) than that, which is what I'm using as the basis for my comments.

brickman
11-06-2007, 02:58 PM
But the initial reports are that its a much more complex & severe injury(s) than that, which is what I'm using as the basis for my comments.

Both of my kids have had torn ACL surgery from soccer injuries. It was an 8 - 9 month process for both of them. I know these guys train a lot harder than my kids do, but both of them were a shell of themselves as players for about the first year or so after they came back. The mental challenge is as tough as the physical challenge, if not tougher. I know Dunta is a hardworking tough guy, but the mental boundary is the toughest to hurdle.
Let's just pray he can come back and it isn't a career ending injury.

Goldensilence
11-06-2007, 03:04 PM
Wow. Another let's switch Dunta to FS thread. Joy.

:gun:

threetoedpete
11-07-2007, 03:05 PM

Well I haven't posted it but there are two of us thinking those evil thoughts. They won't know for sure untill they lay it open. But any time you're talking 'bout rettaching stuff and pilimnary of ACL...at least, you gotta figure it's going to be shear luck if it doesn't look like a veggematic didn't pass through the knee when they open it up. Worst case, at least two years, if at all.

eriadoc
11-07-2007, 03:27 PM
Anything is possible but at 5'10" and 180# dripping wet, I don't see Dunta playing Safety. Dunta has the right temperment for the position - hard hitter.

Robinson would get killed if he switched to safety, he's too small.

How big is Bob Sanders, for the Colts? He's a little heavier, but I don't give him any credit over D-Rob. I've seen Robinson take on all comers, and come out the winner more times than not. He'd be a decent centerfield candidate, IMO, and he can lay the wood when he needs to.

drewmar74
11-07-2007, 03:31 PM
How big is Bob Sanders, for the Colts? He's a little heavier, but I don't give him any credit over D-Rob. I've seen Robinson take on all comers, and come out the winner more times than not. He'd be a decent centerfield candidate, IMO, and he can lay the wood when he needs to.

Hook him up with some Weider Weight Gainer and some HGH and beef him up!

Yes, the HGH comment was a joke.

HOU-TEX
11-07-2007, 03:37 PM

Bob Sanders is 5'8" 206. I just can't see Dunta stuffing the run between the tackles on an every down basis. Pound for pound, the guy is by far the hardest hitter, but I think he'd be thrown around in the trenches.

In addition, why fix what isn't broke. We don't know how Dunta's going to respond to this setback so his position's safe in my opinion.:cool:

Mr teX
11-07-2007, 04:30 PM
Both of my kids have had torn ACL surgery from soccer injuries. It was an 8 - 9 month process for both of them. I know these guys train a lot harder than my kids do, but both of them were a shell of themselves as players for about the first year or so after they came back. The mental challenge is as tough as the physical challenge, if not tougher. I know Dunta is a hardworking tough guy, but the mental boundary is the toughest to hurdle.
Let's just pray he can come back and it isn't a career ending injury.

good post, i dont think many understand how tough it is to really start trusting that knee again.

BigBull17
11-08-2007, 12:38 PM
Robinson would get killed if he switched to safety, he's too small. He'd be taking on not only receivers but tight ends and runningbacks every single play.

He's a tough hitter to do that every now and again but asking him on every play to tackle someone that 40 lbs heavier than him is not a good idea, but heck there is no way he'd wouldn't instantly be the best FS on our team.

Hes small, but hew has the right heart for it. If anyone could play FS at 5-8 180 lbs, its him. If he gained 10-15 lbs, I think he could do it.

adam
11-11-2007, 05:16 PM
If he were to switch to safety, he would have some serious bulking up to do. I just can't seem him laying out RB's and TE's in the open field. Only time will tell, his knee injury is a serious one and only time will tell what kind of role he'll play with the team when he's in playing condition.

BigBull17
11-12-2007, 10:19 PM
If he were to switch to safety, he would have some serious bulking up to do. I just can't seem him laying out RB's and TE's in the open field. Only time will tell, his knee injury is a serious one and only time will tell what kind of role he'll play with the team when he's in playing condition.

I dont know, he did bring the wood to Jones-Drew.

bah007
11-13-2007, 10:13 AM
I wish these "move Dunta to safety" threads would just die.

They pop up like every two weeks.

He has heart & he can hit, but he is too small to play safety. And thats that.