View Full Version : Houston's Training Staff Curse

gtexan02
11-05-2007, 09:44 AM
The curse of the Bambino? Broken
The curse of the black sox? Broken
The curse of the billy goat? Lame
The Madden curse? Real

But the most interesting curse? The curse of Tony Bosselli

Now Im sure most of you know what happened during the expansion draft, but for those of you who don't, heres a brief synopsis.

The Texans decided to select Tony Boselli with the 1st pick in the expansion draft. Unfortunately, Boselli was injured, and the Jaguars medical staff mishandled his surgery. A tendon was attached to the wrong location, and the resulting rehabilitation excersices caused it to atrophy. Boselli never played a down as a Texan, and the entire city has been cursed with injuries ever since.

I don't have time to do all the necessary research, but here are a few of our big name players that have had very mysterious injuries since losing Boselli in 2002:

Lance Berkman injures knee in Church flag football game. Out over half the year.

Dominic Davis injures knee recurringly, changes name, rehabilitates, and never returns to the team.

Charles Spencer is run into by one of our own players from behind. Out for 2 years, maybe career.

Andre Johnson sprains a knee, predicted to miss 1-4 games, out close to 8 weeks. Maybe more

Tracy McGrady develops severe, reoccuring back spasms. They plague him throughout his tenure in Houston

Yao Ming breaks leg and misses close to half a season.

Yao Ming has foot issues and misses significant time

1st round pick Mario Williams suffers from reoccuring toe nail/foot injuries and plays at 50% for most of season

Rising star outfielder Hunter Pence makes a splash as an Astro and then misses almost entire rest of year

And lastly, starting SS Glenn Earl goes down before season, backup S Simmons goes down for year, backup S Harrison goes down for year, then starting CB Robinson is run into and is out for at least 1 year.

So whats the deal?

The Astros have lost their best players year in and year out to injuries.

The Rockets big name guys have been knocked out regularly for the past few years.

The Texans are down to street Free Agents. At one point, our best offensive player (AJ) best defensive player (Drob) starting QB (Schaub) and starting Running back (Green) were all out. Thats every single one of our top skill positions

How can we break this horrible training staff curse! I thought Houston was supposed to be the center of the medical universe. Why can't anyone in our city stay healthy?

PapaL
11-05-2007, 09:53 AM
Mathis and his rash of injuries and mis-diagnoses (broken foot, blood clot)

Ahman Green - sore knee

Yankee_In_TX
11-05-2007, 09:54 AM
Ironically, a lot of pro players fly here for surgery, lol. Maybe we need to figure out which doctors the other teams use.

Don't forget Bagwell. Though that was his fault, he came back too soon (I learned a LOT about that, my shoulder injury/surgery was the same as his)

jlam
11-05-2007, 10:03 AM
I twisted my ankle in a flag football game last week. idonno:

jerek
11-05-2007, 10:22 AM
I see a lot of blame going to the training staff.

I have absolutely no idea know why--watch that replay yesterday and tell me that any medical attention, procedure or training regimen would've prevented the damage to Dunta's knee in that kind of freak collision. Darth Vader would've gone down in a heap.

Same goes for Schaub getting his bell rung, A.J. getting pancaked over the middle when Schaub leads him into trouble, Spencer getting his knee displaced by a 270 lb running back, etc. etc.

Davis had cartilage problems--with very few exceptions, significant cartilage damage is difficult if not impossible to repair.

Maybe Houston is home to an injury curse, but most of these injuries wouldn't have been prevented by any different medical treatment. You could point to some of the injuries--Mathis with hamstring, McGrady with back injury, and think that some of these are better treated or prevented, but injuries tend to reoccur for obvious reasons.

Bad luck is to largely to blame. Nothing more.

gtexan02
11-05-2007, 10:49 AM
Bad luck or curse? You decide

Ole Miss Texan
11-05-2007, 11:04 AM
Bad luck or curse? You decide

It's defintely "The Curse of The Boselli".

I just hope it takes less than 86 years for us to win a championship.

Mark your calenders, Texans win the Super Bowl in 2088. We shall be down to Jacksonville in the 4th quarter and come back to win and then we'll beat St. Louis in the super bowl. :)

tulexan
11-05-2007, 11:45 AM
McGrady went to Patterson and his back is fine now.

gtexan02
11-05-2007, 12:17 PM
I hope there was lots of wood to knock on when you said that!!

You have to admit its strange that all the Houston star power goes down some time in a very "bad luck" manner. You don't see that happen around in other cities

GlassHalfFull
11-05-2007, 12:32 PM
You can add Everett getting run over by Carlos Lee and breaking his leg if you want to talk about friendly fire incidents.

(Do not hijack this thread and say Everett does not belong because he sucks offensively.:bat: He is a great defensive player and I added him because of the friendly fire multiple occurences - something else that bears looking into)