PDA

View Full Version : Could Will Demps be the answer at Safety we've been waiting for?

Carr Bombed
11-04-2007, 07:42 PM
The guy was making plays all over the field and got robbed on a beautiful textbook decleater. He saved TDs and was in perfect position on many plays and was VERY physical.

Twitch-Houston
11-04-2007, 07:47 PM
I liked what I saw. He was knocking the ball out of receivers hands.

Leahmic223
11-04-2007, 07:47 PM
Hmm...he's a improvement definitely but answer... we'll see against the Saints. So i'm not sure.

BTW I put yes beacuse he had a good game.

Wolf
11-04-2007, 07:48 PM
compared to what we have seen this season, I was hoping Demps ( Boulware) would be good enough to take over the safety positions for us

TheIronDuke
11-04-2007, 07:53 PM
I thought he looked good despite those elbow-length gloves.

That unnecessary roughness call was BS.

ATXtexanfan
11-04-2007, 07:57 PM
he really made a difference today

buddyboy
11-04-2007, 08:20 PM
I think that Demps had a great game today, but to say that he's ready to start at safety could be a stretch. Anyone can have a great game. The Dayne Train had a good game today, but is anyone starting a thread asking "Could Ron Dayne be the answer at RB we've been waiting for?" It'll definitly take 2-3 more games of considerable and solid play before we can really evaluate Demps fairly.

Carr Bombed
11-04-2007, 08:24 PM
I think that Demps had a great game today, but to say that he's ready to start at safety could be a stretch. Anyone can have a great game. The Dayne Train had a good game today, but is anyone starting a thread asking "Could Ron Dayne be the answer at RB we've been waiting for?" It'll definitly take 2-3 more games of considerable and solid play before we can really evaluate Demps fairly.

Well then come back after 2-3 games to put a response. The way our secondary has been depleted it's never too early to start a thread like this.

Demps was in position to make plays more than I've ever seen CC Brown or anyone else that has played that position for the Texans.

Twitch-Houston
11-04-2007, 08:25 PM
I thought he looked good despite those elbow-length gloves.

That unnecessary roughness call was BS.

He had a dislocated elbow. I guess he's still recovering. Shows his toughness. He's been playing with that for a while now.

rollinstone18
11-04-2007, 08:48 PM
I'll reserve my answer until after the Saints and Colts games. But I thought our secondary, aside from Petey, played exceptionally well.

PapaL
11-04-2007, 09:06 PM
Is he better then what we have out there now?

Then he should be starting. It's either zone or man - not rocket science.

Hookem Horns
11-04-2007, 09:24 PM
Demps was on and off with the Giants. He could look real good and real bad depending on the game. I always liked the guy and hope he can get consistant. He looked good today.

Ole Miss Texan
11-04-2007, 10:27 PM
I voted yes. I was really impressed with him today...he was hitting very hard and knocking some balls loose.

Does this really mean he's the answer, no. We were playing oakland. If he looked like that against the colts, I'd be more impressed. I'm looking forward to seeing him get more time back there.

I think we could def. still be able to upgrade FS through the draft but honestly I don't think its as big of need as I once did. I will admit I was a huge fan of drafting a 1st rd FS and that that position needed the most upgrading. Unfortunately with D-Rob's injury, Cornerback is def. our biggest need and will get the most impact.

I believe our Safeties in general are going to be completely ignored this offseason. (CC Brown, Glenn Earl comes back, Michael Boulware added through a trade, picked up Will Demps who played well, drafted Brandon Harrison, moved Von Hutchins to S who has been playing decently) We have a surplus of safeties (although no true FS whatsoever) and a huge hole at CB now.

Faggins comes back in and starts. I believe the drop off from Dunta Robinson to Fred Bennett is HUGE. Let's try to put it in perspective, It's like the drop off of Andre Johnson to Jacoby Jones.

edo783
11-04-2007, 10:51 PM
Demps played very well today. The thing I liked that he seems to bring is intensity and now with Dunta out, that will be needed to be there from someone and it looks like it could be him.

GP
11-04-2007, 11:07 PM
Let's stop for a second and remember that we played THE RAIDERS led by McClown who looked totally lost all game (to me).

Even Sage looked good. Dayne looked good.

We look good against Chiefs (without a full-blown Larry Johnson), the Panthers, and the Raiders (led by McCown). We eeked out a win vs. Miami with the help of our kicker.

And then we've been hammered by Jags, Titans, Colts, and Chargers...all those teams are a notch above us. The Falcons matchup is the one that bugs me the most because I felt we were the superior team.

But we're just a low-level team, a team who can beat teams on our own level. We look completely outplayed and outcoached when we go up against better teams.

Therefore, Demps looked good today.

Let's see how we handle Brees/Bush/Henderson/Colston.

threetoedpete
11-05-2007, 02:37 AM
Well I was on airport duty this afternoon. If the herd says he did well I believe it. I had to leave watching the game right after the Robinson disater.

I think this is a very good team (Saints) to roll out a dime defene on. I thought the Texas defense had very good game plan against him in the Rose bowl. Deny him the edges and foce him out of bounds. We've got a herd of safties to do this with. Be a good gme to take the bridle off of Richrd Smith and let him go for broke. They trounced the same team that trounced us a couple of weeks ago. They've got nothing to loose. If we go for broke, we get by forty or twenty what's the difference ? Might just get lucky and force enough turnovers and confusion to keep us in the game. They've got two weeks to work up some sort of surprise. We'll see.

powerfuldragon
11-05-2007, 11:28 AM
it's possible... he brings the lumber like nobody's business.

Texan_Bill
11-05-2007, 11:30 AM
Ummmmm, Yankee..... I googled his website and I completely see what you were saying...

powerfuldragon
11-05-2007, 11:37 AM
Ummmmm, Yankee..... I googled his website and I completely see what you were saying...
yeah... he's def. a ladyboy...

he's half black, half korean... hopefully, he busts out his magic blackanese taekwondo some more.

Texan_Bill
11-05-2007, 11:39 AM
yeah... he's def. a ladyboy.

I was thinking metro, but..........

powerfuldragon
11-05-2007, 11:40 AM
I was thinking metro, but..........
same thing in my book. man with a woman's fashion/dress mentality.

BigBull17
11-05-2007, 12:21 PM
Demps was on and off with the Giants. He could look real good and real bad depending on the game. I always liked the guy and hope he can get consistant. He looked good today.

Yeah, but our starters are off again/off again. Ill take 1 bad for 1 good over 1 bad and 1 not so bad.

Carr Bombed
12-12-2007, 12:15 AM
Well, we've had a big enough sample size.........so what do y'all think now?

Hervoyel
12-12-2007, 12:45 AM
I think that safety play has been so poor over the Texans existence that an average safety like Will Demps looks like a Pro Bowler to our eyes.

He's an improvement but we should keep in mind that everything is relative. I expect the Texans to try and find secondary help in the off-season but I think Demps can hold his spot down for a year or two. We can't fix everything at once and he'll do fine (much like Greenwood) until we can focus on upgrading his spot.

Mr PC
12-12-2007, 01:34 AM
I voted no, he is not the answer i was waiting looking for, that would imply satisfaction with the Texans current safety production. Demps is doing a fine job at FS, the answer I am waiting for is a SS. Until we find another safety to play along side Demps, the secondary will never be solid.

Brandon420tx
12-12-2007, 01:37 AM
Thats kind of funny because we're always saying we have 6 Strong Safeties and no Free Safeties.

Mr PC
12-12-2007, 01:45 AM
Thats kind of funny because we're always saying we have 6 Strong Safeties and no Free Safeties.

yeah but who are these strong safeties that we have? Apparently nobody who is better than CC Brown. In my judgement CC and Earl are both below average for a starting NFL strong safety. Boulware is probably better as a linebacker. Mitchell and Harrison could be good prospects but are both too young and under-developed to take on a starting role. We have no good strong safeties on the roster, and in fact none that are even average.

Carr Bombed
12-12-2007, 01:46 AM
I voted no, he is not the answer i was waiting looking for, that would imply satisfaction with the Texans current safety production. Demps is doing a fine job at FS, the answer I am waiting for is a SS. Until we find another safety to play along side Demps, the secondary will never be solid.

So you think Demps is doing a fine job, but voted no, because your not happy with the other safety position.......???

Mr PC
12-12-2007, 01:51 AM
So you think Demps is doing a fine job, but voted no, because your not happy with the other safety position.......???

The question was is he the answer at safety you were waiting for. Answering yes makes it seem as if you believe that the safety problem has been solved. The reason we felt the need to upgrade at FS in the first place was because CC Brown is not good, remember? CC is STILL a starting safety for the Texans, and he still needs to be upgraded. That is the answer I am looking for. I think a good SS + Demps will be just fine for our secondary. Seemed to work pretty well in Baltimore at least.

Carr Bombed
12-12-2007, 02:03 AM
The question was is he the answer at safety you were waiting for. Answering yes makes it seem as if you believe that the safety problem has been solved. The reason we felt the need to upgrade at FS in the first place was because CC Brown is not good, remember? CC is STILL a starting safety for the Texans, and he still needs to be upgraded. That is the answer I am looking for. I think a good SS + Demps will be just fine for our secondary. Seemed to work pretty well in Baltimore at least.

The question was, "could Will Demps be the answer at his safety position".........didn't have anything to do with CC.

Mr PC
12-12-2007, 04:28 AM
"could Will Demps be the answer at his safety position"

"Could Will Demps be the answer at Safety we've been waiting for?"

These are different questions. I am reasonably satisfied with Will Demps play, he has done well enough to start at FS. But the "answer at Safety we've been waiting for" has still not yet arrived, at least in my opinion. I voted no because I am still waiting for an answer at safety.

PapaL
12-12-2007, 06:50 AM
These are different questions. I am reasonably satisfied with Will Demps play, he has done well enough to start at FS. But the "answer at Safety we've been waiting for" has still not yet arrived, at least in my opinion. I voted no because I am still waiting for an answer at safety.

Unless Demps can can play both SS and FS at the same time I'm sure the question implies is he the answer to play the position he plays.

threetoedpete
12-12-2007, 09:14 AM
I think that safety play has been so poor over the Texans existence that an average safety like Will Demps looks like a Pro Bowler to our eyes.

He's an improvement but we should keep in mind that everything is relative. I expect the Texans to try and find secondary help in the off-season but I think Demps can hold his spot down for a year or two. We can't fix everything at once and he'll do fine (much like Greenwood) until we can focus on upgrading his spot.

Like speninding a one on Kenny Phillips ? Well, I've said since the '07 draft that our starting safties for '08 were already on the roster...we'll see. Up to you to figure out why.

Mr PC
12-12-2007, 10:01 PM
Unless Demps can can play both SS and FS at the same time I'm sure the question implies is he the answer to play the position he plays.

Perhaps, if so then I misunderstood the question. Demps is doing a pretty good job. But like I said, I am still wating on an answer at safety. I voted no because if I am still waiting on an answer at safety, then Demps could not possibly be the answer I was waiting for, otherwise I wouldnt still be waiting. I do appreciate what Demps has done since he has come in. He is easily worth resigning because he has played the best out of any safety on our roster.

n420p69
12-13-2007, 12:14 AM
I can tell you firsthand that Will Demps is a good hitter at times but he misses a hell of a lot of tackles and gets burnt quite a bit. He will make the plays but he will get toasted alot too.

kiwitexansfan
12-13-2007, 01:21 AM
I think Will Demps has done enough to be given a shot at the FS job next season, he is very physical, seems to always be around the ball, and is ok in coverage.

I am interested to see what happens with Brandon Harrison next year after his rookie season was cut short, with all the safeties that will be in camp, I am not sure they will be bringing anyone in from outside. Remember Hutchins may be moved back to FS and Demps has skills to be a SS, both those guys have played well. A secondary of Bennett, Hutchins, Demps and Robinson is a possibility.

Scooter
12-13-2007, 04:28 AM
edited: alcohol induced post

PapaL
12-13-2007, 06:11 AM
re-reading several posts, the compliments point towards tackling and hitting. to those i ask you ... do dunta, bennett, and brown need help in those areas or do we need a centerfielder/ballhawking free safety to shore up our pass defense?

Our front 7 has historically needed help tackling and hitting.

euro-Texan
12-14-2007, 03:57 AM
Yes. Yes. Yes I think he is. He could use some better gloves, maybe some of that sticky spray or something, but he hits hard enough to make D-rob proud.

Carr Bombed
12-14-2007, 04:01 AM
The guy makes plays, plain and simple.............should've had a couple of picks, but also prevented a TD.

euro-Texan
12-14-2007, 04:52 AM
I think I'm sold on him

PapaL
12-14-2007, 06:59 AM
Not bad for a guy with one arm. I think his position is no longer an in dire need position.

Chance_C
12-14-2007, 12:47 PM
I was getting on the bandwagon last week, but punch my ticket after last night. Somebody call Lester and get him some stickum though! Seems like the holes in our secondary are filling up.

austintexanite
12-14-2007, 12:51 PM
If he can stay healthy, I see no reason why he can't succeed here. He's been playing pretty good since he has taken over the starting spot.

Maddict5
12-14-2007, 12:52 PM
i hate this! salaam,weaver etc played well last night too- what are going to do in FA and the draft?!

i like demps the player though

Mr PC
12-14-2007, 12:53 PM
Demps was all over the field on Thursday. That was an incredible performance, even though he didnt cause any turnovers his presence on the field changed the outcome of the game. Just a great job by Demps. We still need another safety to start opposite him though.