PDA

View Full Version : New hope - Butler to play this week

GlassHalfFull
11-03-2007, 07:07 AM
Texans' Butler beating disease (http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/5270335.html)

This week, he will be active for his first time as a Texan and only the second time since he was drafted out of Miami by the Carolina Panthers in the third round of the 2006 draft. It's a fresh start for the 24-year-old, who is getting a second chance in his career thanks to the Texans and their medical team.

Maybe some good news for a change for the OL. Click on the title to read the full article.

nunusguy
11-03-2007, 09:16 AM
This is good news !
I read quite a bit about this guy last year during the NFL Draft, and I think he did and still has excellent potential. He is another classic "zone-blocking" type
who is very athletic as far as these big lineman go, but his downside coming out of the "the U", according to some pro scouts, was his size and strength.
Well perhaps we now know about one possible reason for this shortcoming and maybe this new medication he's taking will do something about the problem.
IMO, this guy is one more reason Rick Smith was a tremendous hire by Big Bobby.

Hardcore Texan
11-03-2007, 11:25 AM
"Everyone has some weird quirks going on with their bodies," Winston said. "It's not just contained to football players, too. Everyday people are walking around that don't have everything right. We're a little microcosm of society, I would think, in a sense that we're just like everyone else. We've got problems, too. We're not Superman."

I think Eric meant "Super Caveman".

nunusguy
11-03-2007, 02:17 PM
"Very quick feet and willing to mix it up, even at 290 pounds.

Not sure that he can subsist at that size at tackle, but in pass protection, he can slide with the quickest/fastest of the speed rushers. The question is that he just won't be able to get movement off the edge on run downs.

If he can add 20 to 25 pounds and not lose his quickness, he'll turn himself into a solid tackle for a good while. The Panthers don't necessarily need him to start this year, but an athlete of this magnitude doesn't come around that often.
http://doublerods.blogspot.com/2006/04/carolina-panthers-rashad-butler-miami.html
Here's some thoughts from a Draft analyst on Butlers athletic prowess
and potential coming out of college, especially if he can add some lbs.

Fox
11-03-2007, 05:31 PM
I wonder if this is a case of Butler playing really well in practice or Black playing really poorly.

False Start
11-03-2007, 05:58 PM
Anyone who has some kind of promise is a good thing right now . They need all the help they can get on that "O-Line" .

Giant Tiger
11-03-2007, 09:52 PM
Let him play. Find out what we have there. Maybe he'll take the sting out of not taking Gaither.:)

CloakNNNdagger
11-03-2007, 09:52 PM
Butler (http://hurricanesports.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/butler_rashad00.html) was Winston's commendable replacement (at left tackle) at Miami following Winston's injury. At that time he played at around 185.......He should easily play at 305-310 without losing any or much speed. He probably was playing with his undiagnosed ulcerative colitis at Miami.........anything he might lose with a substantial weight gain should be neutralized by the proper disease treatment of his disease.