PDA

View Full Version : Austin rumour bout Kubes!

BigWig
11-02-2007, 08:50 AM
Some of our local sports talk radio dj's are speculating thet Kubes will take over at A & M after they fire Fran this year.
I dont buy it, just think the local Boys lovers are wishing some Texan controversy.

Second Honeymoon
11-02-2007, 09:00 AM
PLEASE let it be true....

HJam72
11-02-2007, 09:03 AM
If it were true, I can't say I'd be happy about it; but, right now, I can't really say I care either. This organization is just sick somehow. It may be that the more changes occur the better.

Nothing against Kubes, but here's a thought:

Marcianno for HC. Only coach to be consistently successful since this organization's inception. Maybe sometimes you just gotta promote those who deserve it and let "petigrees" and such go fly a kite.

Texan_Bill
11-02-2007, 09:23 AM
Hilarious!!

First Kubiak isn't going anywhere.
Second, my criticism of Kubiak would be the teams lack of intensity & preparedness - which needs to be corrected ASAP!!
With that said, I remember a coach who took over a sub-par team, and in his first two seasons as head coach went 8-24, then went on to win 3 Super Bowls in his final 4 years... :hmmm:

Quit drinking the HatorAid

HJam72
11-02-2007, 09:30 AM
I might be willing to forgive him if he gets us 3 Superbowls.

I'll have to think about it....pout, pout, sniff. :)

Mr. White
11-02-2007, 09:38 AM
I heard some of that talk when I was in Austin. Seems like they keep bringing up Kubes when they talk about possible replacements for Coach Fran.

The 2 DJ's in Austin that actually follow the Texans keep shooting this rumor down. They say that A&M already had their chance to get him and he has his ideal job right now.

Just a bunch of speculation IMO.

badboy
11-02-2007, 09:43 AM
This is not a new rumor and I thought had been shot down by several "experts". Me as a non-expert thinks Kubes needs to improve and will. I do not see him going anywhere. Another good draft with a couple solid pick ups in FA and some guys coming off IR should make a very interesting 2008. On a side note, I do not think McKinney is finished. He looked very good before getting injured and played avg last season while hurt. That in itself (injuries) may have team looking at another starter (White?) but Steve M will be on team, probably as back up C/G.

nunusguy
11-02-2007, 09:44 AM
Please, please make the rumors come true so we can get Kubiak out of here
and somebody else in who can finally have some success in getting my team
turned around and going in the right direction !

Texan_Bill
11-02-2007, 09:47 AM
Yeah... That makes a whole lot of sense. Fire a coach who's cleaning up 4 years of the C&C factory - only a year and a half into his tenure... Perfect. Who's next Rick Smith? I mean afterall, he's had a year and half to revamp the entire roster.... :rolleyes:

bah007
11-02-2007, 09:54 AM
Most Aggies I know seem to think they are getting Tommy Tuberville from Auburn.

Mr. White
11-02-2007, 09:59 AM
Successful college coaches need to have some degree of salesmanship in their personality.

For some reason, I don't see that in Kubes' skill set. His personality is better suited to an NFL job.

HOU-TEX
11-02-2007, 10:04 AM
Yeah... That makes a whole lot of sense. Fire a coach who's cleaning up 4 years of the C&C factory - only a year and a half into his tenure... Perfect. Who's next Rick Smith? I mean afterall, he's had a year and half to revamp the entire roster.... :rolleyes:

I agree! I find it amazing how people can give up on a coach after a season and a half. The guy doesn't even have all the players he wants yet. Rick Smith even reiterated that before the season started. :wild:

Give Sherman the Aggie position and Richard Smith a special teams position at a Junior High in Alaska.

Napa Auto Parts
11-02-2007, 10:10 AM
The Texans organisation will never be as lucky as to loose Kubiak and get a real coach im afraid were stuck with Kubiak for the remainder of the contract he signed.

nunusguy
11-02-2007, 10:12 AM

We're only at the half-way mark in the season and we already have threads
up about the Draft ! Sound familiar ?
Kubiak has had 2 full-cyles (Drafts & free agencys), and if he finishes this season with a grand total of 4 or 5 wins (which I think is a real possibility) that's a step backwards. I hope I'm wrong, hope he wins this weekend, but I don't have a good feeling about it.

Texan_Bill
11-02-2007, 10:22 AM

Shhhhhhhhhhh!!!!

ActualTexan
11-02-2007, 10:28 AM
The 2 DJ's in Austin that actually follow the Texans keep shooting this rumor down.

Who? You can't be talking about Clements and Ward, aren't they Cowboys fans?

Texan_Bill
11-02-2007, 10:29 AM
Kubiak has had 2 full-cyles (Drafts & free agencys), and if he finishes this season with a grand total of 4 or 5 wins (which I think is a real possibility) that's a step backwards. I hope I'm wrong, hope he wins this weekend, but I don't have a good feeling about it.

I am sure the Cowgirls fans were saying the same thing when Johnson took over the team and they went 1-15 which was worse than the season before he took over... Granted in his second year he went 7-9, but I still think the Texans can reach the 8-8 mark this year..

If people thought there would be an instant turn-around, well they just set themselves up for dissapointment. The current regime has done pretty well, when it comes to dumping the dead weight left over from the C&C factory. This offseason, with finally some room under the cap, the Texans can be players in the FA market. That coupled with another decent draft, and this team is markedly better than this season.

As far as (2) full drafts, I think thats over-stated. Sure he was here prior to the draft in 2006, but he hadn't been here very long. I am sure he had some input, but probably not to the extent suggested by saying "2 full cycles". Besides that, the overall drafts have been decent.

Silver Oak
11-02-2007, 10:29 AM
I think Tom Landry had a personality rating of somewhere near zero, and that worked out pretty well for the cowboys if my memory serves me correctly.

For chrissakes Texans fans! Let's give these two some time and quit nitpicking on things we don't like about them. They were upfront at the start of the season about this team being a ways from where they want it to be, and as painful as it is to wait, we are definitely headed in the correct direction.

Twitch-Houston
11-02-2007, 10:38 AM

I haven't been posting as much cause of "the sky is falling" type posts. We always have high hopes at the beginning of the season and this year for the first two games our hopes seemed justified. We are now waking up with the knowledge that the koolaid that we've been drinking was laced with LSD and the first two games were hallucinations. Now we have to hope for flashbacks.....ha ha

Firing Kubiak is not going to stop players from fumbling or blowing coverage or tripping as they try to jump on a high snap in the endzone. Turnovers have KILLED us this year and last time I checked Kubiak has had 0 turnovers on his stat sheet for quite a few years.

I think Kube is starting to realize that if someone isn't pulling their weight he needs to try something else. He knows he can't give everyone the same type of time that Carr got or he'll be gone in no time. Hopefully the days of digging in sand are over.

He'll find the right combination of players and when it works, I have a feeling it will payoff big.

Keep the faith my fellow Texans fans. The hurt will make victory that much sweeter or kill us before it happens.....ha ha

Texan_Bill
11-02-2007, 10:46 AM
Glad to see you back Twitch... But I hear you!!!

TexansSB07
11-02-2007, 10:54 AM
I agree! I find it amazing how people can give up on a coach after a season and a half. The guy doesn't even have all the players he wants yet. Rick Smith even reiterated that before the season started. :wild:

Give Sherman the Aggie position and Richard Smith a special teams position at a Junior High in Alaska.

HEY HEY what did Alaska High School football ever do to you

Double Barrel
11-02-2007, 10:56 AM
Firing the head coach is only going to work if you plan on firing the owner, too. I will always hold McNair in high regard for bringing pro football back to Houston, but he appears to be in over his head. A lone guppy in a tank full of 31 sharks. ;)

Texan_Bill
11-02-2007, 11:02 AM

I agree too, well with the *ahem* exception of giving Sherman the A&M job... Thanks, but no thanks!

Second Honeymoon
11-02-2007, 11:18 AM
Hilarious!!

First Kubiak isn't going anywhere.
Second, my criticism of Kubiak would be the teams lack of intensity & preparedness - which needs to be corrected ASAP!!
With that said, I remember a coach who took over a sub-par team, and in his first two seasons as head coach went 8-24, then went on to win 3 Super Bowls in his final 4 years... :hmmm:

Quit drinking the HatorAid

Jimmy Johnson was a proven championship level head coach with huge credibility and great personnel skills and had some of the best assistants come with him to Dallas from all over the country. Please dont even compare Kubiak to Jimmah. Kubiak can't even compare much less his horrible assistants.

No comparison. Kubiak is not a proven head coach and has arguable the worst coaching staff of assistants that money can't buy.

it's not HatorAid, it's just Reality Juice. The team has gotten worse, the players arent getting coached up, the team comes out flat and uninspired game after game, the team falls behind 14-21 points before you can say 'Fire Kubiak'.

If we only win 1 or 2 more games the rest of the year, KUBIAK MUST GO...and if the A&M hires him away from us that just makes everything look so much better and keeps more egg from flying at our face.

PLEASE A&M. GET IT DONE. HIRE SCRUBIAK.

Second Honeymoon
11-02-2007, 11:20 AM

only if Auburn fires him, who would be stupid enough to leave Auburn for A&M voluntarily. The Big12 (including University of Texas Longhorns) is a joke right about now and the SEC is as good as it has ever been. Auburn >> A&M.

mridge01
11-02-2007, 11:39 AM
Aggies are so convoluted to think that they can just have any coach they want. Why would an NFL head coach leave his post to go coach the Aggies? Why would Tubberville leave Auburn to go to A&M? Aggies, here's a thought, do something orginal for a change and quit worrying about what Texas and OU are doing all the time. Newsflash, your program is not all that. When did ya'll last win a bowl game for crying out loud? Do like Tech did and get a no name coach that can bring credibility to your program again. Why do you have make a big name splash? Just so you can say you overpaid millions to get a big name coach again? Typical aggy.

infantrycak
11-02-2007, 11:42 AM
Jimmy Johnson was a proven championship level head coach with huge credibility

I loved JJ but he was only proven at a collegiate level. We have seen time and time again that success in college proves nothing for success in the pros.

Mr. White
11-02-2007, 11:51 AM
Who? You can't be talking about Clements and Ward, aren't they Cowboys fans?

Not them.

The only guys I know of in Austin that pay any attention to the Texans at all are Erin Hogan in the morning and AJ Hoffman in the afternoon. Having said that, they're still nowhere close to the guys that are in Houston.

They both come on 1300 AM.

hollywood_texan
11-02-2007, 11:54 AM
Firing the head coach is only going to work if you plan on firing the owner, too. I will always hold McNair in high regard for bringing pro football back to Houston, but he appears to be in over his head. A lone guppy in a tank full of 31 sharks. ;)

Yep, I agree completely on this one.

It seems very clear McNair wants a certain image and feel about his organization and it has nothing to do with what happens on the football field first. He believes you take care of certain non-football things first, then football things will just happen.

I don't think it's a coincindence that Kubiak and Capers are very similar guys. Look at Schaub and Carr, same type of guy. We just got lucky on the Schaub deal, he can actually play.

Point is, McNair is not really concerned about football players. He is going to have to hire some people he doesn't like or agree with personally as a person. I don't see what the big deal is anyway, has long as a guy isn't committing felonies, what he does in his free time with consenting adults is his own business. A football player's job is to be successful playing a violent sport, not pass out lollipops in the bye week.

Just because you are a nice upstanding citizen (whatever that means?) does not mean you are going to be successful in life. Life isn't fair, and neither is football. Just as many jerks are successful as good people (whatever that means?), they are total independent of results.

To say on point with this thread, I could care less if Kubiak goes if this same type of trend continues through the end of the season. We are going to have the same type of coach anyway...

Mr. White
11-02-2007, 11:55 AM

Looks like Second Honeymoon found a new cause. It's not a matter of if he'll get banned again, but when.

Be on the lookout for a poster called Third Honeymoon. :joker:

lol at "Scrubiak." Rep coming.

Second Honeymoon
11-02-2007, 12:15 PM
Looks like Second Honeymoon found a new cause. It's not a matter of if he'll get banned again, but when.

Be on the lookout for a poster called Third Honeymoon. :joker:

lol at "Scrubiak." Rep coming.

I just want good coaching. I am not saying he is the worst Head Coach in the NFL or that he is the only reason we are losing, but what I am saying is that he has assembled an absolutely horrible coaching staff and that staff, as a whole, has done a horrible job coaching up guys but more importantly, getting them fired up and properly prepared to go to war on Sundays.

The team is flat and uninspired. That is coaching and it all starts up top. If you have a coach that has no fire or emotion, don't be surprised if the team begins to exhibit those same traits....and they have done that.

I have no cause to champion other than wanting some good football here in Houston. If getting rid of Kubiak is part and parcel of that happening, then consider that my cause du jour.

Errant Hothy
11-02-2007, 12:21 PM

Please that has more to do with there being some fans who find the personnel evlauation and speculation surronding the draft more then day to day working of the inseason team. I'm one of them. I'd rather talk prospects then why the line seems to change so radically when the C is replaced.

As for firing Kubiak...why? He has basically gutted this team and is starting over from sctach without the beneift of extra pickls and an expansion draft. Win and losses aside the play on the field is about the best it has ever been, even though the team has been ravaged by injuries (I'll agree that a change may be need to the medical staff). As for the Jimmie Johnson comparisson, and how we need a coach with a championship attitude...you do know that Kubiak has as many Super Bowl rings as Jimmie right? You also know that the NFL has drasticlly changed since the days when Jimmie was runnig the Cowboys, right? Go back and look at what Jimmie did in the salary cap era and tell me how good of a coach he really is. Jimmie was a phenomenal finder and developer of talent (both players and assisants), I would say it is a bit of a stretch to say he was a great coach.

barrett
11-02-2007, 12:22 PM
you're crazy to think that Kubiak would leave Houston for A&M. This is his dream job. He's the head coach at the highest level in his home town! Not to mention, the teams attitude suits his personality. He's an honest, hard working nice guy. He will be here for a long LONG time. With any luck, so will Rick Smith. Ya'll forget that as was mentioned this is his second year as a head coach. next year we get to increase our talent pool considerably via free agency and the draft.

in regards to why tubberville would leave Auburn for A&M even though the SEC is far and away a better conference, is simple. $$$.

A&M will pay triple what he would make at Auburn. Thats hard to turn down. I still wouldn't be suprised if Sherman ended up taking it though. It makes more sense for him. He wants to be the head guy somewhere.

anyone who wants to fire our head coach after a season and a half doesn't understand a thing about pro football.

Texan_Bill
11-02-2007, 12:22 PM
Jimmy Johnson was a proven championship level head coach with huge credibility and great personnel skills and had some of the best assistants come with him to Dallas from all over the country. Please dont even compare Kubiak to Jimmah. Kubiak can't even compare much less his horrible assistants.

No comparison. Kubiak is not a proven head coach and has arguable the worst coaching staff of assistants that money can't buy.

it's not HatorAid, it's just Reality Juice. The team has gotten worse, the players arent getting coached up, the team comes out flat and uninspired game after game, the team falls behind 14-21 points before you can say 'Fire Kubiak'.

If we only win 1 or 2 more games the rest of the year, KUBIAK MUST GO...and if the A&M hires him away from us that just makes everything look so much better and keeps more egg from flying at our face.

So was 'The 'ol Ball coach' at Florida. You're better than that. You know that Collegiate success doesn't necessarily translate to NFL success. The Cowboys gambled, got lucky and won. Personnel skills? Prior to the Cowboys, he called it 'recruiting'. In his first full cycle of drafting they went 1-15.. Pathetic!! Again, Kubiak has won more games in a season and a half, than Jimmy won in two full seasons.

Unfortunately your 'reality' sounds like the youth of today - expecting instant results / gratification. The 'push a button and it happens' mentality. Crucifying a guy after a season and a half is down right ludicrous... 2 head coaches by the start of the teams 7th season.. Sounds like a plan to me...

Let's say for a minute that they fire Kubiak right now.. How long do you think that would set the Texans back?? Another 2 to 3 years... Brilliant. Fire the coach? Talk about creating an unstable environment for players and fans. If I were Dunta or AJ and that happened, I would jump ship ASAP..

I am especially glad that you discount some devastating injuries too.. I typically don't use injuries as an excuse, but I am also a 'realist'.. An offense, minus your two time pro-bowler, your starting center, a rookie WR (that would have contributed more), a QB (that has taken two cheap shots), leads me to beleive that Vince Lombardi would be struggling.

I do have issues with the defensive coordinator and I beleive the Mike Sherman experiment failed, but they are two issues that can be fixed easily.

In the meantime, enjoy your:

http://www.misterorange.com/hateraid_small.jpg

Texan_Bill
11-02-2007, 12:24 PM
I just want good coaching. I am not saying he is the worst Head Coach in the NFL or that he is the only reason we are losing, but what I am saying is that he has assembled an absolutely horrible coaching staff and that staff, as a whole, has done a horrible job coaching up guys but more importantly, getting them fired up and properly prepared to go to war on Sundays.

I do not necessarily disagree with that... Thats definetly something Kubiak and Rick Smith need to work on together to rectify.

Texan_Bill
11-02-2007, 12:25 PM
And by no means do I consider Kubiak the football Messiah here in Houston, my sole point is that a year and a half isnt sufficient to make the assumption to pull the plug

HOU-TEX
11-02-2007, 12:26 PM
So was 'The 'ol Ball coach' at Florida. You're better than that. You know that Collegiate success doesn't necessarily translate to NFL success. The Cowboys gambled, got lucky and won. Personnel skills? Prior to the Cowboys, he called it 'recruiting'. In his first full cycle of drafting they went 1-15.. Pathetic!! Again, Kubiak has won more games in a season and a half, than Jimmy won in two full seasons.

Unfortunately your 'reality' sounds like the youth of today - expecting instant results / gratification. The 'push a button and it happens' mentality. Crucifying a guy after a season and a half is down right ludicrous... 2 head coaches by the start of the teams 7th season.. Sounds like a plan to me...

Let's say for a minute that they fire Kubiak right now.. How long do you think that would set the Texans back?? Another 2 to 3 years... Brilliant. Fire the coach? Talk about creating an unstable environment for players and fans. If I were Dunta or AJ and that happened, I would jump ship ASAP..

I am especially glad that you discount some devastating injuries too.. I typically don't use injuries as an excuse, but I am also a 'realist'.. An offense, minus your two time pro-bowler, your starting center, a rookie WR (that would have contributed more), a QB (that has taken two cheap shots), leads me to beleive that Vince Lombardi would be struggling.

I do have issues with the defensive coordinator and I beleive the Mike Sherman experiment failed, but they are two issues that can be fixed easily.

In the meantime, enjoy your:

Gotta spread more around TB. Great post and couldn't agree more. :fans:

Second Honeymoon
11-02-2007, 12:30 PM
Kubiak is the reason we have sub-par coordinators. He just doesn't have much clout to bring decent staff here.

If he can get rid of Smith as our defensive coordinator AND find a quality replacement then I am fine with him getting another year to turn things around.

I hold Kubiak responsible for some of the bonehead moves that have been made so I guess that is why I have a shorter leash than some. Since Rick Smith has gotten here, things have gotten better but I will always blame Kubiak for Year 5 of Carr and Years 1-? of Mario. Fair or not, doesn't matter.

The team is just never going to go anywhere until we actually start spending some money on coaching and not just on 2nd and 3rd rate players and 3rd or 4th rate assistant coaches. this staff is embarassing.

Mr. White
11-02-2007, 12:33 PM
Dunno about you guys, but I think that Second Honeymoon is the harbinger of doom. Guys get on his $#!7list and their days are numbered. :pirate:

Gary, Doug wants to see you in his office and make sure you bring your playbook.

Double Barrel
11-02-2007, 12:34 PM

These are my issues, as well. I think a HC is only going to be as good as his assistance coaches, and I've wanted Richard Smith gone since last season. Hopefully Kubiak realizes that we have too much talent on our D to put out such mediocre, inconsistent performances. We've got holes, obviously, but c'mon, what kind of goofy preparation is it to leave A. Gates WIDE FREAKIN' OPEN?!? These guys were unprepared and Smith's defensive calls are pathetic. No wonder Dunta is publically voicing displeasure. They are not prepared and are being caught with their pants down.

On the offensive side of the ball, I'm less inclined to give him a free pass. He was billed as an 'offensive genius' as OC at Denver. And he has done well at what is considered his expertise: QB and WRs.

However, if his entire gameplan revolves around establishing a running game, he's failing. Two NFL drafts and we pick up a couple of o-linemen in the third round? It seems so simple that a team that has always suffered from a crappy line would need an infusion of good talent in that regard. How Kubiak can place his entire gameplan on a wobbly line and journeymen RBs makes me question his 'genius'. Coupled with the fact that we do not seem to alter our plans when they do not work, I think he's got to figure out what scheme is going to dominate our future plans between his style and that of Sherman.

lol: That's just funny! :heh:

Errant Hothy
11-02-2007, 12:35 PM
Kubiak is the reason we have sub-par coordinators. He just doesn't have much clout to bring decent staff here.

If he can get rid of Smith as our defensive coordinator AND find a quality replacement then I am fine with him getting another year to turn things around.

I hold Kubiak responsible for some of the bonehead moves that have been made so I guess that is why I have a shorter leash than some. Since Rick Smith has gotten here, things have gotten better but I will always blame Kubiak for Year 5 of Carr and Years 1-? of Mario. Fair or not, doesn't matter.

The team is just never going to go anywhere until we actually start spending some money on coaching and not just on 2nd and 3rd rate players and 3rd or 4th rate assistant coaches. this staff is embarassing.

Then why talk about it? If you are going to be irrational and hold things against Kubiak that were beyond his control then there is nothing he can ever do to change your mind, nor can anybody here.

dskillz
11-02-2007, 12:43 PM
The only issue with that rumor I see is that I believe Kubiak will get one more season to turn things around. If next year is as bad as this one, we will have a new coach after next season. But with that said, if the team wins less that 6 games this season the rumor might end up being reality.

Honoring Earl 34
11-02-2007, 12:46 PM
I think Kubiak is a good guy and not a bad leader . As far as Xs and Os , we are paying to learn just like in poker .

As far as the ability to bring in coaches . I think Kubiak brought in a lot of guys who were given higher positions than maybe they deserved . Maybe Kubiak was turned down by more big named guys .

I think the players bought into Kubiak's plan this year plus he had a new leader in Schaub . So this was a move in the right direction . The problem was , in trying to bring in their players ( Kubiak , Sherman ) they created more confusion .

The problem in my opinion is at the first sign of trouble , some of these guys fold like a lawn chair and except being losers . That's why I want a hardass in here to weed out the guys with a loser mentality . Kubiak is not the man for this in his first job ... it takes a guy with a serious conviction in what he's doing .

Texan_Bill
11-02-2007, 12:54 PM
Then why talk about it? If you are going to be irrational and hold things against Kubiak that were beyond his control then there is nothing he can ever do to change your mind, nor can anybody here.

Hoth, remember SH is the same guy that essentially said Bagwell sucks.. Rational is not a strong suit... :specnatz: .... J/K with ya SH!

TexansLucky13
11-02-2007, 01:33 PM
only if Auburn fires him, who would be stupid enough to leave Auburn for A&M voluntarily. The Big12 (including University of Texas Longhorns) is a joke right about now and the SEC is as good as it has ever been. Auburn >> A&M.

Your logic is a bit flawed on this one for two reasons.

1) Auburn is a school that demands football excellence. If Tommy's teams keep losing to LSU, they will fire him. It won't be him walking away.

2) Even if Auburn doesn't can him by the end of this season, A&M can still make him a sweet offer. A&M is notorious for giving a lot of money to its coaches. We could offer Tommy a much better contract and a lot more job security.

As an Aggie and an Auburn fan I would love to have Tommy aboard. All in all, I just want Fran gone.

Specnatz
11-02-2007, 01:37 PM
:includeme:

http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o195/Specnatz/titanic.gif

Second Honeymoon
11-02-2007, 01:38 PM
Hoth, remember SH is the same guy that essentially said Bagwell sucks.. Rational is not a strong suit... :specnatz: .... J/K with ya SH!

As a Cardinals fan, nothing made me happier than seeing Bagwell come up with runners in scoring position. The whiff.

The next big hit Bagwell gets will be his first. He was a talented player but was soft as cotton and one of the biggest chokers in history, whether it be postseason (of which is widely known) or even regular season.

if the astros were down 8 runs he was good for a solo homer or if the astros were up 8 runs he was good for a 2 run dinger, but God forbid he ever did something in the clutch or when his team needed it :)

maybe I am just spoiled by being a fan of the Cardinals since I was a baby. We don't erect statues of players in St.Louis until they actually do something worth a krap....like be a team leader, be clutch, and win championships. Musial > Bags

but this aint baseball thread...so i digress

HoustonFrog
11-02-2007, 01:45 PM
As a Cardinals fan, nothing made me happier than seeing Bagwell come up with runners in scoring position. The whiff.

The next big hit Bagwell gets will be his first. He was a talented player but was soft as cotton and one of the biggest chokers in history, whether it be postseason (of which is widely known) or even regular season.

if the astros were down 8 runs he was good for a solo homer or if the astros were up 8 runs he was good for a 2 run dinger, but God forbid he ever did something in the clutch or when his team needed it :)

maybe I am just spoiled by being a fan of the Cardinals since I was a baby. We don't erect statues of players in St.Louis until they actually do something worth a krap....like be a team leader, be clutch, and win championships.

but this aint baseball thread...so i digress

SH, I'll give you one thing and my friends and I have debated this for a long time. Bagwell was a great player. I'll start by saying that. However, for years we nicknamed him Senior Popup because with men on he would take a monster hack and hit a patented infield popup and end the inning. Alot of his homers were solo shots late in games. I'm not taking anything away from him...one of my favorite Astros and a good guy on the team. But there is some truth to your assertions. In my book he never held a candle to Biggio, despite the MVP.

Second Honeymoon
11-02-2007, 01:48 PM
SH, I'll give you one thing and my friends and I have debated this for a long time. Bagwell was a great player. I'll start by saying that. However, for years we nicknamed him Senior Popup because with men on he would take a monster hack and hit a patented infield popup and end the inning. Alot of his homers were solo shots late in games. I'm taking anything away from him...one of my favorite Astros and a good guy on the team. But there is some truth to your assertions. In my book he never held a candle to Biggio, despite the MVP.

Biggio is 10 times the baseball player that Bags was. It would have been an honor and a blessing for Biggio to wear Cardinal Red. That dude was a baller and a true pillar of the Houston sports community....best Astro ever imho. I also didn't like how Bagwell could only hit scrub pitchers and anytime it was a good pitcher it was.....the whiff.

Specnatz
11-02-2007, 01:48 PM
WS STL DET W 5 for 15 3r 3h 1hr 2rbi 5bb 3so .200avg
stats like this is what being clutch in the WS is all about.

Texan_Bill
11-02-2007, 01:49 PM
LMAO!!
SH, I reject your reality and insert my own.. :wild:

HoustonFrog
11-02-2007, 01:52 PM
Biggio is 10 times the baseball player that Bags was. It would have been an honor and a blessing for Biggio to wear Cardinal Red. That dude was a baller and a true pillar of the Houston sports community....best Astro ever imho. I also didn't like how Bagwell could only hit scrub pitchers and anytime it was a good pitcher it was.....the whiff.

As I said, I had the problem with Bags being Senior Popup and I'm glad someone else noticed it. I think Biggio was always the gamer of the team. Bags was great but I still reserve the right to make fun of his cut with men on. I'll let you guys get back to trashing Kubes and his high school staff of coaches. If one of your coaches tatooed Chris Simms name on his body, there is a problem.(stirring)

nunusguy
11-02-2007, 01:53 PM
Here's my very first problem with Kubicak that IMO raised a red-flag re his ability to be an effective decision-maker as a HC in the NFL.
Even though we'd been 3-4 team under Capers and accordingly had 3-4 personnel, as soon as Kubiak got here he announced we were going to convert to the 4-3 he was familar with from his Denver days.
As we all know, 3-4 DEs are different kinds of defensive linemen than 4-3
DEs, so accordingly Kubiak made his biggest FA acquisision of his first offseason and signed up the Ravens Anthony Weaver to be the all-important strong-side DE, since we had no players among our 3-4 personnel to play that position in his 4-3.
Then came the Draft. For a vareity of complicated and still somewhat unexplained and therefor mysterious reason, our first pick was Mario Williams, "strong-side DE" from NC State. And as we know, its a large understatement to suggest that the Mario selection was widely unpopular, and few would argue that it was also widely viewed as an imprudent pick. One of the most obvious reasons for taking a player other than Mario was that we'd already commited to the strong-side DE position in Anthony Weaver in FA. Because of this (a) Mario is playing out of position (2) we don't have "true" weak-side edge presence at weaksisde DE because Mario is playing there to accomadate the need of Weavers on the other side (where Mario should be).
I dunno if it was inexperience, inflexibility, insecurity, lack of fore thought, etc. but we are still paying for this early Kubiak error. And we are paying dearly in very valuable cap resourcs and personnel development.

Second Honeymoon
11-02-2007, 02:04 PM
WS STL DET W 5 for 15 3r 3h 1hr 2rbi 5bb 3so .200avg
stats like this is what being clutch in the WS is all about.

yup, and notice there is no Pujols statue outside Busch...just 10 World Championship Banners...a distant 2nd to the Yanks but still #2

Texan_Bill
11-02-2007, 02:20 PM
Career Highlights, Awards, and Accolades:
-Named NL Rookie of the Year in 1991
-Voted National League MVP in 1994
-4-time All-Star: 1994, 1996-97, and 1999
-3-time Silver Slugger: 1994, 1997, and 1999
-1994 Gold Glove winner at first base
-Led the NL in runs scored 3 times: 1994, 1999-2000
-Led the NL in RBIs in 1994
-Led the NL in doubles in 1996
-Astros single-season batting average record holder at .368
-Astros single-season home runs record holder with 47 home runs
-Astros single-season runs scored record holder with 152 runs scored
-Astros single-season walks record holder with 149 walks
-Astros single-season on-base percentage record holder at .454
-Astros career record holder for home runs with 449 home runs
-Astros career record holder for RBIs with 1,529
-Astros career record holder for walks with 1,401
-Astros career record holder for intentional walks with 155
-Astros career record holder for runs created with 1,715
-Astros career record holder for sacrifice flies with 102

If that sucks, I don't want to be good....

Crap, now I digress.

Give Kubiak an extension :woot:

HOU-TEX
11-02-2007, 02:21 PM

Good Gawd! I practically threwup and sharted at the same time reading the bolded statement.:bat:

BigWig
11-02-2007, 03:27 PM
I just want y'all to know I was putting this out because I wanted to prove how stupid it can be living in Austin and being a Texans fan.
I hope y'all dont think I was stirring the pot or being a hater at all.
I jsut get sick of all the Crygirls lovers and VY followers and you know!

Texan_Bill
11-02-2007, 03:43 PM
I just want y'all to know I was putting this out because I wanted to prove how stupid it can be living in Austin and being a Texans fan.
I hope y'all dont think I was stirring the pot or being a hater at all.
I jsut get sick of all the Crygirls lovers and VY followers and you know!

No worries Wig, it provided a source of great debate... :howdy:

Specnatz
11-02-2007, 04:06 PM

I know this has gotten way off trac but this right here shows when you dislike someone (works for whom you like as well) that your observation can be skewed. this holds true for 90% of us, myself included. Iknowseveral people who love the Astros who say this exact same line until I prove how blind they are to the facts.

John Smoltz 103 93 28 7 0 2 9 9 11 .301 .363 .441 .804

Greg Maddux 102 92 27 0 1 7 17 6 18 .293 .353 .543 .896
Matt Morris 90 78 27 7 0 4 16 11 17 .346 .422 .590 1.012
Tom Glavine 89 66 22 3 1 3 10 22 14 .333 .506 .545 1.051
Andy Benes 86 73 24 6 2 6 15 10 20 .329 .419 .712 1.131
Curt Schilling 75 70 17 4 0 3 7 4 19 .243 .293 .429 .722
John Burkett 64 52 23 7 0 1 5 9 9 .442 .531 .635 1.166
Pedro Astacio 62 56 17 2 0 7 16 6 13 .304 .371 .714 1.08
Jon Lieber 59 58 13 1 0 0 8 1 20 .224 .237 .241 .478
Mike Morgan 58 53 15 2 0 3 12 3 8 .283 .310 .491 .801
Steve Trachsel 58 49 12 1 0 6 9 8 6 .245 .362 .633 .995
Woody Williams 56 51 17 4 0 5 8 5 9 .333 .393 .706 1.099
Andy Ashby 54 49 13 2 1 3 10 4 12 .265 .315 .531 .846
Ramon Martinez 54 47 11 1 0 3 6 6 14 .234 .315 .447 .762
Shawn Estes 49 35 7 1 0 3 5 14 10 .200 .429 .486 .915
Bobby Jones 49 43 17 2 0 7 13 5 8 .395 .449 .930 1.379
Steve Avery 48 40 13 1 0 3 6 6 5 .325 .396 .575 .971
Kris Benson 48 41 12 3 1 3 13 6 6 .293 .375 .634 1.009
Frank Castillo 48 38 10 3 0 2 11 5 2 .263 .396 .500 .896
Terry Mulholland 48 41 14 4 0 0 3 6 3 .341 .426 .439 .865

*****PA***** AB H 2B 3B HR RBI BB SO BA OBP SLG OPS

Kirk Rueter 48 37 13 2 0 1 5 9 1 .351 .479 .486 .965
Mark Gardner 47 38 9 1 0 3 9 8 2 .237 .383 .500 .883
Hideo Nomo 46 36 13 2 0 5 9 10 4 .361 .500 .833 1.333
Ben Sheets 46 42 9 4 0 1 2 4 14 .214 .283 .381 .664
Kerry Wood 45 37 11 0 0 3 9 5 12 .297 .422 .541 .963
Dave Burba 44 37 11 3 0 2 8 7 5 .297 .409 .541 .950
Chris Hammond 44 31 8 1 0 2 7 12 3 .258 .477 .484 .961
Glendon Rusch 44 32 8 1 0 3 8 11 7 .250 .432 .563 .995
Armando Reynoso 43 38 11 4 1 3 8 5 6 .289 .372 .684 1.056
Jose Rijo 43 41 17 3 0 1 6 0 9 .415 .419 .561 .980
Jason Schmidt 43 36 8 3 0 1 6 7 6 .222 .349 .389 .738
Ryan Dempster 42 32 12 1 0 3 7 9 7 .375 .524 .688 1.212
Donovan Osborne 42 33 6 3 0 0 5 8 10 .182 .333 .273 .606
Matt Clement 41 30 12 3 0 1 6 11 5 .400 .561 .600 1.161
Jeff Fassero 41 32 6 1 0 2 5 9 9 .188 .366 .406 .772
Al Leiter 41 30 10 1 0 0 8 10 6 .333 .512 .367 .879
Kevin Brown 40 34 8 1 0 2 3 4 8 .235 .325 .441 .766
Livan Hernandez 40 36 8 3 0 1 6 2 9 .222 .250 .389 .639

Orel Hershiser 39 29 8 1 0 0 6 7 6 .276 .410 .310 .720

Darryl Kile 37 29 10 4 0 2 5 8 7 .345 .486 .690 1.176

Pedro Martinez 33 26 5 0 0 1 5 4 9 .192 .333 .308 .641

Trevor Hoffman 27 21 6 2 0 1 3 6 6 .286 .444 .524 .968

Jason Isringhause 24 18 6 0 0 1 5 6 1 .333 .500 .500 1.000

This is supposed to be about football, but I am using this data to prove a point and that it can translate into any sport you want. Because you have a belief insomething and once that belief or idea is stuck in your head no matter what anyone tries to tell you you will not see the truths into the facts.

We all are most likely guilty of this at some point in time, especially with sports because it pulls on all the heart strings and runs the gammit of emotions.

This is not an attack, but to illustrate.

:texflag: :specnatz:

HoustonFrog
11-02-2007, 04:19 PM
IThis is not an attack, but to illustrate.

:texflag: :specnatz:

I know this was towards SH but I still think he was Senior Popup despite his greatness. He had the most beautiful and most powerful infield flys I've ever seen. Come on, everyone remembers the out of the shoes swings with guys on...that might have been post roids though ..LOL

Texan_Bill
11-02-2007, 04:25 PM
I know this was towards SH but I still think he was Senior Popup despite his greatness. He had the most beautiful and most powerful infield flys I've ever seen. Come on, everyone remembers the out of the shoes swings with guys on...that might have been post roids though ..LOL

Point....

Counter point.... My, how we forgot that during his early to mid years, he hit the ball all over the park for average... It wasn't until the latter stages of his career that he became a strictly pull hitter.

For example: 1993 he hit .320, but only had 20 home runs - 4 triples, 37 doubles. Out of 171 hits, thats 110 singles.

Not to mention he had a .993 fielding percentage for his career.

HoustonFrog
11-02-2007, 04:33 PM
Point....

Counter point.... My, how we forgot that during his early to mid years, he hit the ball all over the park for average... It wasn't until the latter stages of his career that he became a strictly pull hitter.

For example: 1993 he hit .320, but only had 20 home runs - 4 triples, 37 doubles. Out of 171 hits, thats 110 singles.

Not to mention he had a .993 fielding percentage for his career.

Again, I love Bags. I'm not saying the guy isn't HOF or anything. I just always thought of the two Biggio was more valuable and more a gamer. I just think he got to a point where he popped up alot and wasn't driving them in. I think he stayed a year too long. Overall though the guy was a complete stud.

Texan_Bill
11-02-2007, 04:41 PM
Again, I love Bags. I'm not saying the guy isn't HOF or anything. I just always thought of the two Biggio was more valuable and more a gamer. I just think he got to a point where he popped up alot and wasn't driving them in. I think he stayed a year too long. Overall though the guy was a complete stud.

Right on.. My issue is that some folks remember his last couple of years and thats how they define him.

As far as hitting in the play-offs, true he choked, but so did everyone else that faced Maddux, Glavine, Smolts, Kevin Brown (twice in the same series - etc....).. Wait a minute, he had a pretty big hit in the NLCS pinch hitting, which helped a rally to win.

Specnatz
11-02-2007, 04:46 PM
Right on.. My issue is that some folks remember his last couple of years and thats how they define him.

As far as hitting in the play-offs, true he choked, but so did everyone else that faced Maddux, Glavine, Smolts, Kevin Brown (twice in the same series - etc....).. Wait a minute, he had a pretty big hit in the NLCS pinch hitting, which helped a rally to win.

Geez I may drink all of the moonshine after having that brought up.

Texan_Bill
11-02-2007, 04:50 PM
Geez I may drink all of the moonshine after having that brought up.

You aint drinking squat until you bring me some :bat:

Double Barrel
11-02-2007, 05:06 PM
Again, I love Bags. I'm not saying the guy isn't HOF or anything.

I like Bagwell as much as the next guy, but I'll say it: he's not a HoF player. :howdy:

HoustonFrog
11-02-2007, 05:09 PM
I like Bagwell as much as the next guy, but I'll say it: he's not a HoF player. :howdy:

See and that is what some of my friends argue. We all agree on Biggio and people are torn on Bags. Many think he is the best Astros ever and others think he had a smaller window of greatness and isn't HOF. The friends that argue your point bring up that his stats were always overinflated and he hit more 9th inning, 8-0, solo shots than anyone in history but was Senior Popup when needed. I'm somewhere in between where I agree with their points and used to say the same thing about him but think he will and should get in.

Texan_Bill
11-02-2007, 05:16 PM
See and that is what some of my friends argue. We all agree on Biggio and people are torn on Bags. Many think he is the best Astros ever and others think he had a smaller window of greatness and isn't HOF. The friends that argue your point bring up that his stats were always overinflated and he hit more 9th inning, 8-0, solo shots than anyone in history but was Senior Popup when needed. I'm somewhere in between where I agree with their points and used to say the same thing about him but think he will and should get in.

Bagwells HOF chances ended about 4 (maybe 5 years) ago, when his shoulder went... Had he stayed, healthy and productive he and Frank Thomas would wind up with nearly the same exact stat line...

Towards the end, it pained me to watch him try to throw the ball.. He went from being an above average defensive 1st baseman to a liability..

HoustonFrog
11-02-2007, 05:26 PM
Bagwells HOF chances ended about 4 (maybe 5 years) ago, when his shoulder went... Had he stayed, healthy and productive he and Frank Thomas would wind up with nearly the same exact stat line...

Towards the end, it pained me to watch him try to throw the ball.. He went from being an above average defensive 1st baseman to a liability..

See, again, I'm a Biggio guy, but people, at least from what I heard were calling Bags a lock and Biggio not. I never got that. I was under the impression that his earlier numbers were still good enough though. People still call him a 1st ballot lock...again, just from reading. I'm not going to lie, his willingness to keep trying despite the play/pain had soured me for awhile and I was ready for the Stros to move on.

BeerTastesLikeVictory
11-02-2007, 05:40 PM
Sorry, I must be lost, is this a football thread?

Specnatz
11-02-2007, 05:48 PM

http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o195/Specnatz/sign-hijack.gif

Double Barrel
11-02-2007, 05:59 PM

I thought it was about Kubiak becoming skipper for the Astros. :um:

threetoedpete
11-02-2007, 08:44 PM
I thought it was about Kubiak becoming skipper for the Astros. :um:

yes but it was a very fine hi jacking. one of the best ever.
For the record. I like Kubiack. i think he's learning on the fly. I think he sticks by his veterans too long. and I think he is a piss poor manager of the clock. But what is not suspect is the fact that his passing game, even with out the all world wide reciever, with out a credible rushing attack, is one of the best passing attacks in the league. It boggles my mind how good this team could be with a decent o-line and a credible rushing attack. So, you guys make up your minds. Do you want another capers regeme in here or are we going to allow this crew to have a couple of drafts and learn what they are doing ?

He's turned down the Texas Aggrecluture and Mechanical job twice now. There is no doubt that the aggs can throw enough money at the guy to make him contemplate it. But I believe that this job is this guys dream job. They may buy kubes....but it's going to hurt the building fund if they do. They throw seven million a year at the guy, he's gotta do what is best for his family. The problem at A & M is not the coach. The problem is there is nothing to do in college station on a friday night. And it's come to the point that tradition is not selling the recruits. And there are only so many legacies that come down the pipe line.

Insideop
11-03-2007, 12:38 AM
Kubes and Rick Smith aren't going anywhere. My guess is that McNair will give them at least 4 years to turn this ship around and have us in the playoffs or at least fighting for a playoff spot. Personally, I think they will do it too.

I'm less sure about Richard Smith and Sherman staying around, but you never know. Most people weren't happy with Richard Smith last year after the 1st 3 or 4 games, but then the D unit turned it around and were a top 10 defense for the last 10 or so games. And remember, this defense is very young. I think they just need more time playing together and add a few more pieces to become a very good (top 5) unit.

As for the offense, I think that will be a focus of the Draft and FA this coming year more so than in the past. Kubes and Smith are doing what they can with what they have, but I don't think they have near all the pieces in place they, and Sherman, want to really run the offense the way they want. With the loss of McKinney and Green, and falling behind so much, it's becoming more of a passing offense, which exposes our weakness at LT. I have to say though, that Salaam is doing the best he can under the circumstances. I noticed the Texans brought up Brandon Frye off the Practice Squad. Maybe he'll see some action (get his feet wet) and give Salaam some rest. I have high hopes he will develop into a good LT. We'll see.

As for Bags and Biggio, I say they both get into the Hall. Biggio the 1st year and Bags maybe the 2nd or 3rd. It would be nice to see them get in together! JMHO!

spurstexanstros
11-03-2007, 12:59 AM
Hmmm Kubes to the aggies is about as wild as the Cowher to A&M rumors that Ive heard.

ubecool454
11-03-2007, 07:42 AM
Some of our local sports talk radio dj's are speculating thet Kubes will take over at A & M after they fire Fran this year.
I dont buy it, just think the local Boys lovers are wishing some Texan controversy.

I like Kubiak, but if he bolts from here I wouldnn't hold it against him. A man has to do what is he thinks is best for his family. What I would do is hold it against the Texans leadership if they don't grab Bill Cowher before the Panthers do. Cowher is they guy that can bring this team the "nasty attitude" that they seem to lack sometime.:shades:

ActualTexan
11-03-2007, 10:07 AM
I like Kubiak, but if he bolts from here I wouldnn't hold it against him. A man has to do what is he thinks is best for his family. What I would do is hold it against the Texans leadership if they don't grab Bill Cowher before the Panthers do. Cowher is they guy that can bring this team the "nasty attitude" that they seem to lack sometime.:shades:

"sometime" = the full six years of their existance on earth

(well, except for preseason when they play Dallas)

edo783
11-03-2007, 10:17 AM
IMO, Sherman is the most likely of the coaching staff to go to the A&M job and I don't think that is even all that likely.

michaelm
11-03-2007, 04:33 PM

HERE... I started a baseball thread for all of you who've hijacked this thread...
http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?p=776168#post776168

Double Barrel
11-04-2007, 11:51 AM
So, you guys make up your minds. Do you want another capers regeme in here or are we going to allow this crew to have a couple of drafts and learn what they are doing ?

In Kubiak we trust. :texflag: like we have a choice?

It'll be alright. Just get a win today and go into the bye week on a high note and 4-5. Rest for two weeks and return home with Schaub and AJ, and take it from there.

drewmar74
11-04-2007, 11:55 AM
In Kubiak we trust. :texflag: like we have a choice?

It'll be alright. Just get a win today and go into the bye week on a high note and 4-5. Rest for two weeks and return home with Schaub and AJ, and take it from there.

Amen. Give 'em a couple of weeks to get AJ, Schaubie, and Owen healthy. Figure out who gives us the best chance to win at RB (me, I'm pulling for Itchy), and maybe shuffle on the o-line (please!).

Heck, we might even have something that resembles a decent NFL offense after the bye.

Now, about that defense......

All is not lost, I suppose.

ActualTexan
11-04-2007, 11:58 AM
It'll be alright. Just get a win today...

Geezz..Im just ready for the game to start. The xtra hour of DST is a conspiracy, I just know it.

Okay, now I've gone too far.

drewmar74
11-04-2007, 12:01 PM
The xtra hour of DST is a conspiracy, I just know it.

Okay, now I've gone too far.

Goodell's black helicopters will be flying around your house soon.

Double Barrel
11-04-2007, 12:13 PM
Amen. Give 'em a couple of weeks to get AJ, Schaubie, and Owen healthy. Figure out who gives us the best chance to win at RB (me, I'm pulling for Itchy), and maybe shuffle on the o-line (please!).

Heck, we might even have something that resembles a decent NFL offense after the bye.

Now, about that defense......

All is not lost, I suppose.

No doubt. I'm not sipping koolaide, but the fact is that Oakland is not some powerhouse that we can't get over. We just have to protect the ball and each player needs to beat his man and cover his assignment.

If we can return 4-5 going into the bye, the fanbase gets re-energized along with the team. The Saints, while talented, are another team that we can beat if we don't beat ourselves first. A 5-5 record at 10 games would bring us back to being positive as a fanbase. The six games after that get quite a bit tougher, but a two game win streak could give us some momentum.

Be realistic, but never give up hope. :texflag:

nut
11-04-2007, 08:28 PM
Heard that Kubiak was going to be Franchione's OC & Bagwell is slated to be special teams coach.