PDA

View Full Version : Schaub hasn't been roughed up that much--

Nighthawk
10-30-2007, 10:34 PM
And yet he spends a lot of time doing dramatic head-holding on the sidelines recently. I mean, that was a good whack he got yesterday, but it wasn't near as bad as many hits NFL QBs routinely get. Everybody was sort of standing still and the guy launches at Schaub from a dead stop. A big hit, but not a monster. On top of which Schaub has about four other injuries I've heard about--leg, hip, back. And we've got like a dozen sacks total?

Isn't anyone beginning to wonder about the guy's durability?

And did anyone notice that his play Sunday BEFORE the hit was, to be kind, erratic? He looked shell-shocked, nervous, scared, like he couldn't wait to get that damn ball out of his hands so he wouldn't get hit.

Like everybody else I was a big fan at the beginning of the season, but I gotta say I'm beginning to have serious doubts now. Of course, as a career backup, no one ever had any idea about Schaub's durability because he'd never been tested under fire. But we're only 8 weeks in and he looks down for the count.

houstonhurricane
10-30-2007, 10:42 PM
I think you are way off the mark on this one. The hit he took on Sunday was absolutely brutal and would have taken out most NFL quarterbacks sans Favre. Furthermore, the hit(s) he took against the Titans were also pretty physical and it was not surprising to see him leave the game.

Two weeks in a row our team has let the opposition "cheap shot" our starting quarterback without any on-the-field "support." That is what troubles me the most at this point...

rickyb
10-30-2007, 10:50 PM
I think you are way off the mark on this one. The hit he took on Sunday was absolutely brutal and would have taken out most NFL quarterbacks sans Favre. Furthermore, the hit(s) he took against the Titans were also pretty physical and it was not surprising to see him leave the game.

Two weeks in a row our team has let the opposition "cheap shot" our starting quarterback without any on-the-field "support." That is what troubles me the most at this point...

I agree 100%.

Next time some BS like that cheap-shot happens to our field marshall, I want to see some defensive players spitting chicklets.
:bat: :bat: :bat:

AnthonyE
10-30-2007, 11:20 PM
Ah, I think your wrong, too.

ANY QB who has been hit hard that many times would have sat out yesterday.

I remember one hit he took the Titans game (I believe it's the one where he was knocked out of the game for good), the guy put his entire body weight on Schaub plus the helmet to hemet.

Pretty much every snap he's taken in the past 3 weeks he's had the snot knocked out of him.

ATX
10-30-2007, 11:22 PM
And yet he spends a lot of time doing dramatic head-holding on the sidelines recently. I mean, that was a good whack he got yesterday, but it wasn't near as bad as many hits NFL QBs routinely get. Everybody was sort of standing still and the guy launches at Schaub from a dead stop. A big hit, but not a monster. On top of which Schaub has about four other injuries I've heard about--leg, hip, back. And we've got like a dozen sacks total?

And did anyone notice that his play Sunday BEFORE the hit was, to be kind, erratic? He looked shell-shocked, nervous, scared, like he couldn't wait to get that damn ball out of his hands so he wouldn't get hit.

Like everybody else I was a big fan at the beginning of the season, but I gotta say I'm beginning to have serious doubts now. Of course, as a career backup, no one ever had any idea about Schaub's durability because he'd never been tested under fire. But we're only 8 weeks in and he looks down for the count.

Honestly, I thought he looked like David Carr on Sunday. Throwing short on 3rd down, 2 picks, and just looked scared. I know he's better than that and it pissed me off.

TexanSam
10-30-2007, 11:29 PM
I'm beginning to question his durability as well. He's no David Carr in that regard. As bad a QB Carr was, he is one tough dude.

Rex King
10-30-2007, 11:36 PM
I don't think you can compare the hits Schaub has taken with say, YKW, for most of the latter's sacks. Oh, there were a few early in his career where he was smacked around, and what happened - he got injured.

AnthonyE
10-31-2007, 12:03 AM
I'm beginning to question his durability as well. He's no David Carr in that regard. As bad a QB Carr was, he is one tough dude.

I don't think anyone will dissagree with that.

Joe Texan
10-31-2007, 12:18 AM
If yall knuckleheads have watched the season you will notice that Schaub has a bad habbit of throwing the ball high or behind. I am just wondering how long it will take Kubes, (who says he saw a lot of positives on the team against the Chargers) to notice any thing wrong with Schaub. He might be our QB for now but Sage is starting Sunday so we will see who is coming to play.

GlassHalfFull
10-31-2007, 12:23 AM
I don't think anyone will dissagree with that.

Panther fans might. It didn't take him long to get his back hurt and have a 99 year old retired qb take over the starting role.

infantrycak
10-31-2007, 01:28 AM

Well let's see--he avoids tons of sacks which wouldn't have been avoided before as you have so non-subtlety pointed out in past seasons. He has been injured not on sacks but on flagged penalties, but sure, why not--he's a pansy.

If yall knuckleheads have watched the season you will notice that Schaub has a bad habbit of throwing the ball high or behind.

Well it's a shame some of the knuckleheads around here haven't noticed he is still connecting at a top 10 percentage rate, top ten yards per attempt and lots of strikes down field--better to mis-throw a 40 yd pass than not attempt one for a season.

Marcus
10-31-2007, 03:12 AM
I swear to everloving God, I cannot believe some of the nonsense I read on this board sometimes. Schaub has been probably the only bright spot on the team so far this season, and yet some of you have the audacity to question his 'durability' from the dirty hits he's been taking.

I think I'm just going to hang out at the No Spin Zone from now on. If I stay here at Texans Talk, I'm going get banned sooner rather than later. I just can't handle this stupidity.

Texanmike02
10-31-2007, 03:32 AM
So questioning his durability is out. What about his accuracy. Surely you're not going to lambaste me for questioning that?

Mike

Specnatz
10-31-2007, 04:30 AM
So questioning his durability is out. What about his accuracy. Surely you're not going to lambaste me for questioning that?

Mike

Yeah I will since he is connecting on 67.9. It was even better until the last two games, which were horrible. He had no time to throw and he is working with receivers you do not even like in the first place and he is still producing without a top flight WR.

His QB rating until the last two games was Top 10. The line has regressed and has been horrid, not to mention he has done all this without a running game and mostly with fall forward for two yards Dayne as the running back.

Oh by the way the 67.9 is 3rd in the league, wow he sucks why the heck is he not #1.

Malloy
10-31-2007, 05:02 AM
My only problem with Schaub right now is that he showed up hurt on sunday. He's beat up, and his lack of mobility due to the bruising made him panic a few times. It's kinda like with Jacoby Jones, don't say you're ready when you're not.

Force Schaub to sit the Oakland game out, not as a punishment because no punishment is needed really, but to let him heal up so that next time we put him on the field he'll be ready to go 100%.

On a note, I guess he WILL be sitting the next one out if the signing of Nall has any meaning.

PapaL
10-31-2007, 06:42 AM
And yet he spends a lot of time doing dramatic head-holding on the sidelines recently.

Ever had a concussion? It's not dramatic head holding. That's just a ludicrous statement.

GlassHalfFull
10-31-2007, 08:01 AM
Well let's see--he avoids tons of sacks which wouldn't have been avoided before as you have so non-subtlety pointed out in past seasons. He has been injured not on sacks but on flagged penalties, but sure, why not--he's a pansy.

Well it's a shame some of the knuckleheads around here haven't noticed he is still connecting at a top 10 percentage rate, top ten yards per attempt and lots of strikes down field--better to mis-throw a 40 yd pass than not attempt one for a season.

Exactly, and how many passes were flat out dropped last week?

I would also like to see the mb people who are complaining about Schaub being a wuss, take the hits he took in the last two games and see if they are still able to complain afterwards.:wild:

Mr. White
10-31-2007, 08:01 AM

Can't argue here.

You could bounce a ball-peen hammer off of David Carr's head and it wouldn't faze him. You'd still get the same results, though.

I'll take Schaub's fundamental skills over Carr's durability any day.

Corrosion
10-31-2007, 08:48 AM

Point 1) Schaub has been sacked 12 times Rosenfels once .... thats a total of 13 sacks . The sacks arent the only time QB takes a hit . In general they can protect themselves and the ball on the majority of plays tha result in a sack . Its those plays where they stand in the pocket and take a big hit after the ball is released that tends to result in injuries Or in the case of Sunday being blindsided after an INT ......

2) Schaub benig shellshocked ? I dont think thats the case , ever played football and had your bell rung .... The avg person would probably be in Ben Taub after some of the hits Schaub has taken . What bothers me is that no one on his team got pissed off when he's taken a big hit some of which have been un-necessary . If I'm an O-lineman and someone hits my QB I want retrebution ..... That guy is going to pay next time he's with-in striking distance .

3) You are correct , no one had any idea if Schaub could withstand a full seasons worth of snaps . But in todays NFL having one guy take all your snaps at QB is pretty much a pipe dream ..... Yes its week 8 and Schaub has missed a few series but take a look at how many other teams have had multiple players at the QB position thus far and you'll see its not an isolated problem . I'll save ya the trouble of looking and list the teams that have had significant playing time my more than one person at QB .

Arizona 3 Kurt Warner , Tim Rattay , Matt Leinart
Atlanta 2 Joey Harrington , Byron Leftwich
Baltimore 2 Steve McNair , Kyle Boller
Buffalo 2 Trent Edwards , J.P. Losman
Carolina 4 Jake Delhome , David Carr , Vinny Testaverde , Matt Moore
Chiago 2 Brian Griese , Rex Grossman
Cleveland 2 Derek Anderson , Charlie Frye
Detriot 2 Jon Kitna , J.T. O'Sullivan
Jacksonville 2 David Garrard , Quinn Gray
Kansas City 2 Brodie Croyle , Damon Huard
Miami 2 Trent Green , Cleo Lemon
Minnisota 3 Brooks Bollinger , Kelly Holcomb , Tarvaris Jackson
New York Giants 3 Eli Manning , Jared Lorenzen , Anthony Wright
New Yourk Jets 2 Chad Pennington , Kellen Clemens
Oakland 2 Daunte Culpepper , Josh McCown
San Francisco 2 Trent Dilfer , Alex Smith
Seattle 2 Matt Hasselbeck , Seneca Wallace
St.Louis 2 Marc Bulger , Gus Frerotte
Tampa Bay 3 Jeff Garcia , Bruce Gradkowski , Luke McCown
Tennesse 2 Vince Young , Kerry Collins

Thats a pretty long list and it will only get longer as the season wears on ....

Schaub hasnt played perfect football by any stretch of the imiganation but considering how poor the running game has been and the loss AJ and JJ as well as Ahman Green , I cant put a lot of the blame on Schaub for the offense's inability to be consistant .... In the NFL if you cant run the ball you wont win many games . Before we can really evaluate Schaub this team needs to fix the O-line and runing game ..... Give me 5 guy's who take it personal when their QB gets hit and dont get shoved backwards in every short yardage situation ..... what this team has aint gettin it done . :gun:

Texans_Chick
10-31-2007, 09:28 AM

Well said.

The Good News About David Carr:

He's a tough dude who doesn't miss games.

The Bad News About David Carr:

He's a tough dude who doesn't miss games.

I hope Florence gets a fine that is worse than a uniform violation fine.

Joe Texan
10-31-2007, 09:57 AM
Acuracy make a QB good. Since day 1 Schaub has thrown the ball high or behind in several throws per game. I am not saying Schaub sucks I think his timing is off and that is fixable. Most of his interseptions were tip ball or behind the reciever. if Glue hand Andre Davis has to jump 10 feet every time he wants to catch a ball he is going to tip some, resulting in the defense getting a grab at the ball. Matt is better than David Carr but he is no Tom Brady. He is no Peyton Manning, I do not see everybody being happy if we had 1 of these two QB's. Matt could be helped a lot with some protection from the paycheck grabbers we have on the O line. How is it that an offensive minded coach continually over looks the O line. I believe it takes time to build a team but Parcels did it in 3 years. What I want is some consistancy from the Team and that starts with Schaub, A consistant high or behing throw is not what I am talking about.

Htownsportsfan
10-31-2007, 10:22 AM

Fat, drunk and stupid is not way to go through life son!

Sincerely Dean Wormer

Double Barrel
10-31-2007, 10:38 AM
Schaub hasn't even had a full season worth of starts. He's basically a rookie in that regard. So I can cut him some slack for not throwing perfection with every pass. And in spite of that, he still ranks high in QB skills stats.

His durability could be an issue, because he's taken some punishment. I don't fault him for it, but rather an offense that cannot establish the run and a marshmallow offensive line. Schaub and our WRs have been one of the few bright spots on the team this year along with Kris Brown.

Porky
10-31-2007, 11:06 AM
I swear to everloving God, I cannot believe some of the nonsense I read on this board sometimes. Schaub has been probably the only bright spot on the team so far this season, and yet some of you have the audacity to question his 'durability' from the dirty hits he's been taking.

I think I'm just going to hang out at the No Spin Zone from now on. If I stay here at Texans Talk, I'm going get banned sooner rather than later. I just can't handle this stupidity.

Ditto for me. I think my IQ just dropped 20 points from reading this thread. I won't even get into the accusation that somehow Shcaub is soft or brittle. That's so ignorant that it doesn't even deserve a response.

One reason Carr didn't get hurt much was because he usually dropped to the fetal position at the first sign of pressure. Schaub stands tall in the pocket against the rush and delivers the ball down the field. He actually makes plays instead of running out of bounds or sacking himself.

Matt needs to get better on the picks, no doubt, but let's analayze some of the reasons for this. First, he actually throws the ball down the field, and attempts to test the deep middle. These throws are more likely to be picked. Or would all of you prefer a bunch of hitch passes and screens? That's all Carr could do folks. What short memories some of you have. Second, we have no running game. The opposition is playing a lot of deep zone and the LB's are taking drops deeper into the secondary because nobody respects our running game. This leads to more tips and more picks in general as they can sit back and read the QB's eyes. Until we get a running game that teams are forced to respect, expect more of the same. Next, try taking away one of the best weapons in the NFL from any QB and watch him struggle a bit. Lastly, the guy is basically a rookie, and unlike the previous QB, seems to actually learn from his mistakes.

But, it's a whole lot easier to pick on Schaub, you know the only guy really making plays out there on offense. Anyone care to guess how bad this offense would be with Carr at the helm. I shudder and get chills just thinking about it. :devilpig:

Porky
10-31-2007, 11:35 AM
I know that Carr feels the same way Porker, with the Panthers who are at the top of their Div, while we sit at O - 3 in our Div.

Because of Carr? Get real. :gun:

Joe Texan
10-31-2007, 01:34 PM
Porky explain the high and behind throws15 yards down feild, was he going deep but it was too low, I don't think so. Schaub is not the almighty saviour for the Texans offense. Now A couple of good Offensive linemen probably would be the saviours.

Vinny
10-31-2007, 01:49 PM
Porky explain the high and behind throws15 yards down feild, was he going deep but it was too low, I don't think so. Schaub is not the almighty saviour for the Texans offense. Now A couple of good Offensive linemen probably would be the saviours.watch some other NFL QB's is all I can say. Schaub isn't anyone's "saviour"...if you think/thought that you were just out of touch with reality to begin with. Schaub has been one of the few reasons this team isn't 1-7 right now.

Porky
10-31-2007, 01:57 PM
Porky explain the high and behind throws15 yards down feild, was he going deep but it was too low, I don't think so. Schaub is not the almighty saviour for the Texans offense. Now A couple of good Offensive linemen probably would be the saviours.

I totally agree with Vinny on this, and unless you know the route that was supposed to be run, the coverage, etc. it's hard to say what happened on the pass you mention. Yes, even Brady and Manning sometimes have a pass that sails or that is behind the receiver, and maybe that's what happened. I'm not sure how much general NFL ball you watch, but your take is naive at best.

infantrycak
10-31-2007, 02:04 PM
I'm not sure how much general NFL ball you watch, but your take is naive at best.

Exactly. It was funny, right after this little criticism started cropping up I happened to catch the Jags Indy game where Reggie Wayne caught 9 passes for 131 yards. At least 5 of those receptions were poor throws according to some around here where Wayne had to dive, stop, leap or catch behind him to make the play. The standard being applied to Schaub because of the losses is just ridiculous.

Vinny
10-31-2007, 02:08 PM
What about K. Brown? How about the main reason we're not 1 - 7.
I like how Kris drove the team down the field from our own 2 yard line to pull out the Miami game....he rocks.

WWJD
10-31-2007, 02:11 PM
If that big fat Titan had fallen on me the way he did Matt I'd still be in the hospital.

Matt's plenty tough.

Texan_Bill
10-31-2007, 02:15 PM
I know that Carr feels the same way Porker, with the Panthers who are at the top of their Div, while we sit at O - 3 in our Div.

Wonder how Carr reacted to the smattering of boos that he received when he came on the field to take over for Vinny...?

Caddy, you should go read Carolina's message board. There is plenty of Carr bashing going on already. There is even a thread that wants to start Moore over Carr... Quote: "BUT SERIOUSLY WE ARENT GOING TO WIN ANOTHER GAME WITH GRANDPA AND MADONNA PLAYING QB!" Link: PLEASE START MOORE (http://www.carolinahuddle.com/forum/carolina-panthers/63124-please-start-moore.html)

It looks like Texans Talk last year, the year before, the year before that, etc...

HoustonFrog
10-31-2007, 02:16 PM

I'm with you and I just started reading this thread. I'm amazed that some people actually call themselves football fans. We get rid of a guy who was and is going nowhere and get a new guy and right off the bat people want him to be 19-20, 275 yards, 2 TDs and 0 ints every game....and if he does make a bad throw it was just a glitch. The guy was Top 10 in 7 categories up until 2 weeks ago and was actually doing something we hadn't seen in years..going downfield. He also can keep his head downfield and move out of the pocket without going fetal.

As for the hit. Anyone who has played knows the difference in hits. Schaub didn't even see it and took it under the chin. Most players like receivers and backs that take hits are expecting them and they either brace or position themselves so the big hit is more of a big glance...Emmitt was awesome at this. I shake my head reading some of this stuff.

And how did he help..by getting out of the way so a 43 year old journeyman could take over?You prove yourself ignorant to football but all heart for Dave everytime yout start to type. I think your Carr FatHead needs new candles in front of it now. The guy is proving what we already knew.

HoustonFrog
10-31-2007, 02:37 PM
Good post Frog. You are strong when behind a keyboard. All knowing and a person who denigrates anyone who won't sink to you level.

If that makes you feel better. Sorry, your MO is known. It isn't like you are somebody giving an unadulterated, football related opinion. That would take knowledge beyond what size underroos Dave used to wear. You are a guy with a crush or a connection to Carr that can't accept that he was subpar here and is subpar with a line in Carolina. I'll stop making you look foolish when you stop showing up to lift your skirt and wave your tail in the air.

Yes, he rocks... he's the answere to our red zone problems and if you look at his page. Got so many AFC ST honner's it shows who is doing a great job. With an injury to boot.

Can you "honor" me by getting me the Rosetta Stone to translate this?

HOU-TEX
10-31-2007, 02:46 PM
Hey, that cute... bet you were big in the boys room writting on the wall and doors.

I'm sure it beats what you've done in the boys room, Caddy. You peeping Tom you. I'm sure Carr enjoyed you though. :heart:

badboy
10-31-2007, 02:48 PM

I think I'm just going to hang out at the No Spin Zone from now on. If I stay here at Texans Talk, I'm going get banned sooner rather than later. I just can't handle this stupidity.Agreed! I'm out of here.

HoustonFrog
10-31-2007, 02:54 PM
Hey, that cute... bet you were big in the boys room writting on the wall and doors.

Again can I get an Caddy to Intelligent translator please?Stick to the subject which was what a majority of my first response was about.

powerfuldragon
10-31-2007, 02:59 PM
concussions and maybe even whiplash a few times... keep that up, and you're liable to end up in bad shape.

Lucky
10-31-2007, 03:01 PM
Schaub's injuries amount to nothing more than a flesh wound.

Signed,
The Black Knight

http://image.guim.co.uk/Guardian/arts/gallery/2007/jul/22/comedy.films/holy_grail_ronaldgrant-2878.jpg

3andOUT
10-31-2007, 03:28 PM
Those were both vicious hits, and he never saw Florence's. Paul Bunyan might've fudged his flannel after those hits. Plus, concussions are serious. It's difficult to open your eyes with the persistent migraines much less focus on leading a team. It's not like he left the game with a thigh bruise or something.

TexansSB07
11-01-2007, 06:43 PM

of course Carr looked like a tough guy...it is hard to get hurt when you flop on field

TexansSB07
11-01-2007, 06:50 PM

this is the 2nd thread where you have ripped team, blaming everyone under sun, guess must be tough getting internet service when you live in PERFECTION.

Now onto why I'm writing and wasting my time, trying to wake your ignorant ass up.

THERE ARE 32 QBS IN NFL

Matt Schaub

3rd In completion percentage out of 32 QBs

so he threw some picks...lets see your butt put up with a rush when trying to throw. I wish you were half the kind of person Matt Schaub is, but then you wouldn't be able to handle it

The1ApplePie
11-01-2007, 11:36 PM
My friend said:

"We gave away our future and a ton of money for a pansy"

When we got Schaub he said "We traded for a less mobile David Carr?"

I'm starting to think he's right

Xetuoh1836
11-01-2007, 11:59 PM
My friend said:

I've also heard, when you lay down with dogs, you get up with fleas...:shades:

n420p69
11-04-2007, 02:25 AM
I think that hit that the Chargers put on him after the interception was as dirty as can be. I would have loved to see them return the favor on Rivers.

TexansSeminole
11-04-2007, 02:27 AM
My friend said:

Are you kidding me?

Specnatz
11-04-2007, 03:37 AM
Are you kidding me?

Please understand he loves reggie bust, so take what he says with a grain a salt.