10-30-2007, 02:24 PM
- Nall signed, offically

- Fyre moved up from the practice squad

- Williams moved back down to the practice squad

- With another move coming?

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/5257820.html

MightyTExan
10-30-2007, 02:38 PM
What position does Frye play? Are they going to try him at LT?

Errant Hothy
10-30-2007, 02:42 PM

He played tackle in college, but I seem to recall alot of talk that he might be moved to guard as a pro. Then again he might be getting a look at LT, since I don't think they are going to move Winston.

gjmac2
10-30-2007, 03:08 PM
Interesting.

I wonder, with Schaub likely not playing Sunday, if the Texans will use the Raider game to try out some of the rookies and see what they have. Maybe use the game to plan for the schedule after the bye week.

I wonder where the roster move is coming? Could it be Flannigan?

HuttoKarl
10-30-2007, 03:11 PM
Interesting.

I wonder, with Schaub likely not playing Sunday, if the Texans will use the Raider game to try out some of the rookies and see what they have. Maybe use the game to plan for the schedule after the bye week.

I wonder where the roster move is coming? Could it be Flannigan?

(Dayne??????? Crosses fingers although it'll never happen.)

PapaL
10-30-2007, 03:14 PM

+1 Rep.

Hopefully so.

TEXANS84
10-30-2007, 03:17 PM

Faggins??

Activate Dexter Wynn

gjmac2
10-30-2007, 03:32 PM
Only way I see Dayne getting cut is if they activate Darius Walker, which may happen pretty quickly. Kubiak on 610 yeasterday said as much.

Errant Hothy
10-30-2007, 03:37 PM
Why don't they just move Spencer from the PUP to IR and free up a spot that way?

Why is Spencer still on the PUP? Does Kubiak and Co. really think there is a chance that he can play this year?

drewmar74
10-30-2007, 03:40 PM
gjmac2 - not to threadjack, but your avatar is going to give me nightmares....

I thought you got a roster exemption for PUP folks... or am I incorrect on that one?

threetoedpete
10-30-2007, 03:50 PM

Well he was a left tackle in college. But he has the body of a pro center. I don't know. But at least they are getting ready for what is behind door number three.

Errant Hothy
10-30-2007, 03:50 PM
Nevermind, Spencer cannot be IR'd till week 10.

A player who begins the season on the PUP list must sit out his team's first six games. The player must then be placed on the active roster for the next four games, regardless of his health. Only after the tenth game may the team rule him out for the season.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Physically_Unable_to_Perform

Specnatz
10-30-2007, 03:51 PM

Good idea lets release the only healthy running back on the roster, even if he is fat and slow without anything to replace him.

Maybe we can also release Salaam and have no LT tackle as well.

infantrycak
10-30-2007, 03:54 PM
I thought you got a roster exemption for PUP folks... or am I incorrect on that one?

You are correct.

infantrycak
10-30-2007, 03:56 PM

Wiki has it wrong in this instance. A player on PUP may be activated to practice in between weeks 6 and 9. The team thereafter has 2 weeks to make a decision on him whether to put him on the active roster or IR him for the year.

Texan_Bill
10-30-2007, 03:57 PM
gjmac2 - not to threadjack, but your avatar is going to give me nightmares....

The clown thing, huh??? Yeah, me too....

Good idea lets release the only healthy running back on the roster, even if he is fat and slow without anything to replace him.

Maybe we can also release Salaam and have no LT tackle as well.

Spec, ease up buddy. It's only Tuesday. You have the rest of the week to enamor us with your sardonic prose....

:sarcasm:

Vinny
10-30-2007, 03:59 PM
Well he was a left tackle in college. But he has the body of a pro center. I don't know. But at least they are getting ready for what is behind door number three.He is a converted DE so he is pretty athletic for an O-lineman. I think he holds his College record for squats so he has a strong base.

Texan_Bill
10-30-2007, 04:07 PM
Vinny,

Hokie Sports (http://www.hokiesports.com/football/players/2005/frye.html)

Began his Tech career on defense, but has worked to gain a good knowledge of the Hokies' offensive system ... Has a big frame to go with good work habits and athleticism ...

Set a new position record in the squat (690) ... Mark was the sixth-best in program history ... Also had a 435-pound bench press ...

DerekLee1
10-30-2007, 04:13 PM
Nall was Green Bay's fifth-round pick in 2002. He was drafted by Texans offensive coordinator Mike Sherman, who was the Packers' head coach at the time. Nall was waived by Buffalo on Oct. 19.

Can we PLEASE get people on this freaking roster that AREN'T Green Bay or Denver castoffs?!?!

Errant Hothy
10-30-2007, 04:14 PM
Can we PLEASE get people on this freaking roster that AREN'T Green Bay or Denver castoffs?!?!

Calm down. Nall is the emergency QB, the second Schuab is healthy he's gone.

Plus there is the added bonus that he knows parts of our system due to his time at...wait for it...wait for it...GREEN BAY!!!OMG!!!!!

infantrycak
10-30-2007, 04:16 PM

OK, quick--name the QB sitting on his couch right now it would be better to bring in just so they have no Denver or Green Bay connection.

Here are some distinguished possibilities--Drew Bledsoe, Quincy Carter, Jay Fiedler, or how about Drew Henson?

TexansLucky13
10-30-2007, 04:18 PM
OK, quick--name the QB sitting on his couch right now it would be better to bring in just so they have no Denver or Green Bay connection.

Zabransky?

Errant Hothy
10-30-2007, 04:21 PM
Zabransky?

Yup, a rookie with no game expeirence, that's exactly who I want to be one hit away from playing time. Espically one that is essentially Van Pelt II, and one who has already reefused to come back to the team.

Man I bet Rick Smith is kicking himself for not think of Zabransky.

drewmar74
10-30-2007, 04:41 PM
How quickly do they have to make a move to free up a roster space?

DerekLee1
10-30-2007, 09:17 PM
Yup, a rookie with no game expeirence, that's exactly who I want to be one hit away from playing time. Espically one that is essentially Van Pelt II, and one who has already reefused to come back to the team.

Man I bet Rick Smith is kicking himself for not think of Zabransky.

At least Zabransky had an entire training camp in this offense, including some preseason work. The word on the street is they contacted JZ, but he felt his future was not in pro football and passed.

I'd rather have Owen Daniels throwing the ball than some no-name out of nowhere off the couch.

Oh, wait. Owen's hurt, too.

Runner
10-30-2007, 11:44 PM

That's a trick question - I couldn't have come up with the name Nall if someone had said, quick--name the QB sitting on his couch right now to to bring in since Schaub is hurt.

:)

Errant Hothy
10-31-2007, 09:56 AM
At least Zabransky had an entire training camp in this offense, including some preseason work. The word on the street is they contacted JZ, but he felt his future was not in pro football and passed.

I'd rather have Owen Daniels throwing the ball than some no-name out of nowhere off the couch.

Oh, wait. Owen's hurt, too.

Nall played in Green Bay when...can ya guess...try real hard....harder....don't hurt yourself now....Mike freakin' Sherman was the head coach.

I'd be willing to bet that Nall knows as much if not more about our offense as Zabransky. And atleast Nall still wants to play football.

HOU-TEX
10-31-2007, 10:07 AM
Well, if all else fails, we can always look to Bradley "self-completion" VanPelt for a QB that knows our offense.:backsout:

Brando
10-31-2007, 11:40 AM
I don't mind the Denver/GB connection. iiwii. That's what happens when Coach's/GM's come from different organizations. Sometimes it is a good thing. Sometimes, not so much. Whenever Cowher starts coaching again expect a lot of people with ties to the Steelers organization go wherever he ends up. Parcells is a good example, he always brought in players he coached from years before with different teams. Glanville did that with the Falcons bringing in Ex-Oilers. It has a lot to do with the scheme you run and the players familiar with the scheme.

quicksilver
10-31-2007, 12:12 PM

Here are some distinguished possibilities--Drew Bledsoe, Quincy Carter, Jay Fiedler, or how about Drew Henson?

Just for the sake playing, I'll toss in John Elway.

No, I'm not serious. Sheesh.

nunusguy
10-31-2007, 07:09 PM
I'm glad they're getting Brandon Frye back on the field this year, in whatever capacity that may be. He looks to be a player who's athletically gifted, though limited on experience as he was just a single year starter in college.
But he was a late second day pick in the Draft, so the investment isn't that significant. But he was injured multiple times if I recall, so its a positive thing to have him back on the field for the second half of the season.

BigBull17
10-31-2007, 08:06 PM

This late in the season, you have to get a guy with a basic idea of the offense. He is about all thats avaliable who knows parts of it, and could run it if needed. But he will be cut as soon as MS is good to go.

painekiller
10-31-2007, 09:48 PM

That is not exactly accurate. From a Pasta belly article, which reflects a quote I have not been able to find of the actually rule regarding the PUP list

PUP list player to return soon (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3066153)
By rule, teams have until Nov. 6 to allow their PUP players to return to practice. Once a PUP player begins practicing his team has a three-week window in which to evaluate him. At the end of that period, a player must either be elevated to the active roster or remain on the physically unable to perform list for the balance of the season.

That line should read, eleveated to the active roster or placed on the IR.

Errant Hothy
11-01-2007, 06:25 PM
http://www.houstontexans.com/team/Transactions.asp

10/31/2007

Placed linebacker Shawn Barber on the reserve/injured list with a neck injury. Signed tackle Brandon Frye to the active roster and signed wide receiver Harry Williams to the practice squad.

barrett
11-02-2007, 01:06 AM
they've decided to make frye a guard.

TexansSeminole
11-02-2007, 01:17 AM
they've decided to make frye a guard.

Look like a project backup G looks better than a project backup T. Or maybe he was just better at G in practice. Either way we could use some depth at either position. I hope Frye can atleast gain a backup and roster spot for next year, it would be nice if he panned out.

threetoedpete
11-02-2007, 07:50 PM
Look like a project backup G looks better than a project backup T. Or maybe he was just better at G in practice. Either way we could use some depth at either position. I hope Frye can atleast gain a backup and roster spot for next year, it would be nice if he panned out.

Or..they are getting their ducks in a row to make a fact based decidsion next off season on whether or not to reup Pitts or Weary. Personally, the push we're getting at the center position, I'd give the guy a sniff there.