PDA

View Full Version : Kubiak Live at 3:30

TEXANRED
10-29-2007, 03:06 PM
http://www.houstontexans.com/tv/

TexansSeminole
10-29-2007, 03:08 PM
I hope the reporters ask some real questions...questions that are representative of the fan base. They don't need to be afraid to get into with Kubiak.

Errant Hothy
10-29-2007, 03:19 PM
At least the mic test was entertaining!

TEXANRED
10-29-2007, 03:28 PM
At least the mic test was entertaining!

Ha Ha

TEXANRED
10-29-2007, 03:35 PM
Mario is exceptional?

Our OLine is playing good?

What is his definition of bad?

TexansSeminole
Mario is exceptional?

Our OLine is playing good?

What is his definition of bad?

Seriously...what is he talking about???

Errant Hothy
Injury recap:
Schaub: Has headaches, day to day, Kubiak dances around the concussion word

Davis: Bruised ribs:

Flannagan: Had migrains before the game, made worse by the shot he recieved

Green: Knee issues, swelling, day to day

TexansSeminole
10-29-2007, 03:37 PM
Yea, we really took a chance when we got rid of Gado. All that he did for our team.

nunusguy
10-29-2007, 03:37 PM
Mario is exceptional?

I'm glad you heard him say that, because I thought I did but then thought,
"nah, he didn't say that". That he'd say that I find exceptional. Maybe someone at the pressure will ask him for a more definetive explanation of
Marios performance.

TEXANRED
10-29-2007, 03:38 PM
Did he just say the Faggins wll continue to start?

What do you have to do to get benched?

TexansSeminole
10-29-2007, 03:39 PM
This is a really bad explaination so far.

Errant Hothy

C'mon and be fair, he did say their was going to be a heavy rotation.

Echimandu tweaked his hammy, aounds like he is day to day as well.

TexansSeminole
OD with a reoccuring injury from college???? WTH?

TEXANRED
10-29-2007, 03:41 PM
Does he know what the problem is that needs to be fixed?

Ckw

Wow! Now I'm getting pissed at Kubiak. Maybe I will come around to your way of thinking Red.

TexansSeminole
Does he know what the problem is that needs to be fixed?

No he is always saying..."I gotta figure out what's wrong"

Errant Hothy
10-29-2007, 03:42 PM
OD with a reoccuring injury from college???? WTH?

Dude, calm down and listen fully.

OD had a high ankle sprain in college, this we knew, and OD said the sprain he had is not as bad as the one he had in college.

After the first sprain they become easier to get, but also the recovery is quicker as the additional sprains are less severe.

TEXANRED
10-29-2007, 03:42 PM
That was quick

Maybe he was reading this board before the presser.

TexansSeminole
10-29-2007, 03:43 PM

OD had a high ankle sprain in college, this we knew, and OD said the sprain he had is not as bad as the one he had in college.

After the first sprain they become easier to get, but also the recovery is quicker as the additional sprains are less severe.

I never knew OD had a serious injury in college. Ankle sprains are bad...without OD our passing game is going to be even more piss poor. He is our best receiver as AJ is out.

Errant Hothy
10-29-2007, 03:44 PM
Look everybody it's the out-of-context birgade!!

Y'all are getting out of control:
kubiak said there would continue to be a heavy rotation at the CB2 spot, but please feel free to continue and ignore that. I know that the even the hint of Kubiak saying that Petey is the starter and will play everydown is some of y'alls wet dream.

TexansLucky13
10-29-2007, 03:44 PM
Same old stuff....

TEXANRED
10-29-2007, 03:45 PM
Wow! Now I'm getting pissed at Kubiak. Maybe I will come around to your way of thinking Red.

I wonder if Matt Stevens would still be our safety if Kubiak coached from day one?

Maddict5
10-29-2007, 03:47 PM
I never knew OD had a serious injury in college. Ankle sprains are bad...without OD our passing game is going to be even more piss poor. He is our best receiver as AJ is out.

not lately he hasnt

TexansSeminole
10-29-2007, 03:47 PM
kubiak said there would continue to be a heavy rotation at the CB2 spot, but please feel free to continue and ignore that. I know that the even the hint of Kubiak saying that Petey is the starter and will play everydown is some of y'alls wet dream.

Should I not get mad about Petey even playing? How does it not make you mad....do you watch these games with your eyes closed when we play defense?

TexansSeminole
10-29-2007, 03:49 PM
not lately he hasnt

That's because other teams actually have safeties, and they use them to cover him because without him we don't have enough weapons to stretch the field. As suprising as Walter and Davis are...most teams don't need their safeties to cover these guys. They blanket OD.

Errant Hothy
10-29-2007, 03:51 PM
Should I not get mad about Petey even playing? How does it not make you mad....do you watch these games with your eyes closed when we play defense?

I don't get mad cuase the the options are a) a rookie, who granted is playing well, but is still a rookie and will get burned or b) a CBs who's play on the field had been even worse then Petey's (that would be Fletcher) or c) the undersized cb who is playing FS and doing a fairly poor job of it as well.

As long as their is a rotation with Petey and Bennett I don't see a better option, and therefore there is nothing to get mad about.

I'll get mad if the problem is not addressed in the offseason till then it's like getting mad a the dog for pissing on the carpet when he's been locked in the house all day.

Vinny
10-29-2007, 03:52 PM

After the first sprain they become easier to get, but also the recovery is quicker as the additional sprains are less severe.like we can trust them when they report injuries....yeah.

Errant Hothy
10-29-2007, 03:53 PM
like we can trust them when they report injuries....yeah.

Now granted that is a concern.

I wasn't happy with the way Kubiak danced around the Shcaub potential concussion question at all.

eriadoc
10-29-2007, 03:55 PM
Contrast Kubiak's comments regarding Faggins throughout the season with his comments regarding Mario Williams. Kubiak doesn't hang any player out to dry, but he never really praises Faggins. The best I've heard is when he excuses Faggins for doing the best he can in a tough situation (earlier in the season). Conversely, he consistently states that Mario is doing a great job, exceptional job, etc. His tone with Mario has been positive all season, pretty much since the Cowboys preseason game. So I'm wondering - what job or role does this staff have lined out for Mario? Obviously, Kubiak is happy with how Mario is performing at his job, whatever it may be, so I am curious what that entails. I'm not as down on Mario as many on this board, because I've seen him get pressure and wreak some havoc, but like everyone else, I expect to see more. So what are we missing as fans?

Given the context of other comments regarding players, we have a fair idea of what Kubiak says when he is unhappy with a player. He doesn't throw them under the bus, but he doesn't come out and use words like exceptional for many players besides Ryans, Robinson, Johnson, Schaub, and Williams. What gives?

TexansSeminole
10-29-2007, 03:55 PM
I don't get mad cuase the the options are a) a rookie, who granted is playing well, but is still a rookie and will get burned or b) a CBs who's play on the field had been even worse then Petey's (that would be Fletcher) or c) the undersized cb who is playing FS and doing a fairly poor job of it as well.

Because watching a veteran get burned more often is fun? I don't understand.

First off Petey should not play past nickel situations, at this point I'd have fletcher playing nickel and Petey in at dime. I don't care if Fletcher gets burned...atleast I have tested it at this point. Not let one guy get burned all season and then at the end of the season say something like "I should have played these guys more". No.

Secondly, that undersized CB that is playing FS is for some reason starting over Demps. Please explain that to me...at this point I'd put Boulware in over him too...Hutchins at FS has been a joke since it was first announced.

As long as their is a rotation with Petey and Bennett I don't see a better option, and therefore there is nothing to get mad about.

I'll get mad if the problem is not addressed in the offseason till then it's like getting mad a the dog for pissing on the carpet when he's been locked in the house all day.

Why even have a rotation? So the other team can watch Petey come in and put their best reciever on him. Then watch as our defense makes no adjustments.

Ckw
10-29-2007, 03:57 PM
I wonder if Matt Stevens would still be our safety if Kubiak coached from day one?

Don't know anything about Matt Stevens so that went right over my head. Explain please. But yes, some of his decisions (like if he continues to bench White and keep Flanagetuskilled in) really baffle me. Like I've done in the other thread, I will continue to have faith in him. But he better step up and be a head coach and stop letting his goes goof off. He needs to be the coach not their drinking buddy.

Errant Hothy
10-29-2007, 04:00 PM
Because watching a veteran get burned more often is fun? I don't understand.

First off Petey should not play pas nickel situations, at this point I'd have fletcher playing nickel and Petey in at dime. Secondly, that undersized CB that is playing FS is for some reason starting over Demps. Please explain that to me...at this point I'd put Boulware in over him too...Hutchins at FS has been a joke since it was first announced.

Why even have a rotation? So the other team can watch Petey come in and put their best reciever on him. Then watch as our defense makes no adjustments.

Why would you want Fletcher to play the nickel instead of Petey? Fletcher has easily been the worst of the CBs this year. Petey and Bennett are probably 2a and 2b as fas as talent and ability goes right now, Fletcher is a distant 3 and everybody else sucks even more.

There is a difference between Petey playing Richard Smith's failure to make any adjustments. This defense is doing nothing to help the CB2, it was not Petey's fault that they asked him to cover Steve Smith, are the rest of the opposing team #1 WRs.

TEXANRED
10-29-2007, 04:01 PM
Don't know anything about Matt Stevens so that went right over my head. Explain please. But yes, some of his decisions (like if he continues to bench White and keep Flanagetuskilled in) really baffle me. Like I've done in the other thread, I will continue to have faith in him. But he better step up and be a head coach and stop letting his goes goof off. He needs to be the coach not their drinking buddy.

You don't know who Matt Stevens is? You missed out. Rickey Williams is still looking to get his shoe back.

Matt Stevens loved the piggy back ride as a kid and continued that through his Texans career.

Vinny
10-29-2007, 04:02 PM
Don't know anything about Matt Stevens so that went right over my head. Explain please. But yes, some of his decisions (like if he continues to bench White and keep Flanagetuskilled in) really baffle me. Like I've done in the other thread, I will continue to have faith in him. But he better step up and be a head coach and stop letting his goes goof off. He needs to be the coach not their drinking buddy.how long you been a fan if I may ask?

TexansSeminole
10-29-2007, 04:05 PM
Why would you want Fletcher to play the nickel instead of Petey? Fletcher has easily been the worst of the CBs this year. Petey and Bennett are probably 2a and 2b as fas as talent and ability goes right now, Fletcher is a distant 3 and everybody else sucks even more.

There is a difference between Petey playing Richard Smith's failure to make any adjustments. This defense is doing nothing to help the CB2, it was not Petey's fault that they asked him to cover Steve Smith, are the rest of the opposing team #1 WRs.

How in the world do you see Petey and Bennett the same as far as talent and ability? Are you kidding me?

As far as this goes, I don't care who's damn fault it is. Be it Richard Smith or Faggins. The guy can't cover receivers. Therefore does not deserve to make his money covering receivers.

Faggins has been getting burned for years now. Fletcher and Bennett are new guys on this team. Give them a chance to play on it and make a freakin impact. Why watch a guy who has gotten burned ever since he has been on this roster get burned more? That sounds freakin retarded to me. Faggins has all the advantage over Fletcher and Bennett. He has played here longer, he knows the system better, and he has more PT experience. Yet he is still outplayed by the rookie Bennett.

Ckw
10-29-2007, 04:10 PM
how long you been a fan if I may ask?

Every year of the franchise but actually became a big Texans fan in 05 surprisingly. The ultimate fair weather fan I must admit.

Now, would you mind explaining your intentions in asking me that question?

Maddict5
10-29-2007, 04:10 PM
That's because other teams actually have safeties, and they use them to cover him because without him we don't have enough weapons to stretch the field. As suprising as Walter and Davis are...most teams don't need their safeties to cover these guys. They blanket OD.

and this excuses his 'dropsies' how?

Vinny
10-29-2007, 04:13 PM
how long you been a fan if I may ask?

Every year of the franchise but actually became a big Texans fan in 05 surprisingly. The ultimate fair weather fan I must admit.

Now, would you mind explaining your intentions in asking me that question?

I figured everyone outside of the noob fans knew exactly who Matt Stevens was. I don't know of any player more hated than him in this franchise history.

Errant Hothy
10-29-2007, 04:13 PM
How in the world do you see Petey and Bennett the same as far as talent and ability? Are you kidding me?

As far as this goes, I don't care who's damn fault it is. Be it Richard Smith or Faggins. The guy can't cover receivers. Therefore does not deserve to make his money covering receivers.

Faggins has been getting burned for years now. Fletcher and Bennett are new guys on this team. Give them a chance to play on it and make a freakin impact. Why watch a guy who has gotten burned ever since he has been on this roster get burned more? That sounds freakin retarded to me. Faggins has all the advantage over Fletcher and Bennett. He has played here longer, he knows the system better, and he has more PT experience. Yet he is still outplayed by the rookie Bennett.

"Faggins has been getting burned for years now" Sorry but wrong, untill asked to be the #2CB Petey had been playing very good ball as the nickel CB.

Just because Fletcher is new does not automatically make him better then Petey. In fact it's been fairly obvoous that when Fletcher is on the field he ahs sucked more then Petey.

I rate Petey and Bennett about equal due to the fact that Petey has more game expeirence. I would not be surprised if Bennett overtakes Petey as teh starter at the #2CB spot, and I sould not be shocked if it happens after the bye week. But don't be shocked if Kubiak continues to rotate them.

TexansSeminole
10-29-2007, 04:16 PM
"Faggins has been getting burned for years now" Sorry but wrong, untill asked to be the #2CB Petey had been playing very good ball as the nickel CB.

Now I know you don't know what your talking about because Petey has made a handful of plays IN HIS CAREER AS AN NFL PLAYER. The guy has been WAY below average ever since he came into the league. Playing well? Give me a f'in break.

Just because Fletcher is new does not automatically make him better then Petey. In fact it's been fairly obvoous that when Fletcher is on the field he ahs sucked more then Petey.

He has been here for less than a year...give him a chance to learn the system through some playing time. I never said he would be better but give him a chance to GROW into the system.

I rate Petey and Bennett about equal due to the fact that Petey has more game expeirence. I would not be surprised if Bennett overtakes Petey as teh starter at the #2CB spot, and I sould not be shocked if it happens after the bye week. But don't be shocked if Kubiak continues to rotate them.

Experience doing what? Getting burned. Who the hell cares if he has experience watching Steve Smith catch the ball in front of him and experience missing tackles? Experience only matters if you play half way decent. Your rating of CBs is HORRIBLE btw.

Errant Hothy
10-29-2007, 04:23 PM
Now I know you don't know what your talking about because Petey has made a handful of plays IN HIS CAREER AS AN NFL PLAYER. The guy has been WAY below average ever since he came into the league. Playing well? Give me a f'in break.

Wahyever, we are going to have to agree to disagree here. I think Petey is a good nickel corner, and this is all he is/can be. When asked to play as teh #2 and cover the likes of Marvin Harrison and Steve Smith he is going to get beat like a red headed step child...but then again so are all of our CBs except for Dunta

He has been here for less than a year...give him a chance to learn the system through some playing time. I never said he would be better but give him a chance to GROW into the system.

First off Feltcher was cut from the defensive powerhouse the Lions, and when it happened most were happy to see him leave. In his career Fletcher has shown less the Faggins. I know this maybe be hard for you to accept but no amount of time in the system will make Fletcher any better. FYI, vets don't tend to GROW in any system...they are what the are. Fletcher did not even beat out Petey for the starting spot, and he's done nothing on the field to beat out either Petey or Bennett.

TexansSeminole
10-29-2007, 04:27 PM
First off Feltcher was cut from the defensive powerhouse the Lions, and when it happened most were happy to see him leave.

You do realize that the Lions lead the league in takeaways, right? Yea, nice one.

First off Feltcher was cut from the defensive powerhouse the Lions, and when it happened most were happy to see him leave. In his career Fletcher has shown less the Faggins. I know this maybe be hard for you to accept but no amount of time in the system will make Fletcher any better. FYI, vets don't tend to GROW in any system...they are what the are. Fletcher did not even beat out Petey for the starting spot, and he's done nothing on the field to beat out either Petey or Bennett.

How is anyone going to beat him out if he is not held accountable? He was benched (edit: I shouldn't say benched more like pulled from #2 CB spot) last week, but this is after being posterized week after week. You know when Steve Smith said "We should run over there ass like it's high school"? He was talking about Faggins, and in his case he did run over him, just like high school.

Also, everyone grows in a system that they are just learning in. Doesn't matter how old you are.

Your bad when it comes to talking about defensive secondary it seems, I will move on.

Tulip
10-29-2007, 04:27 PM

Matt Stevens was the starting FS for the first two years of the franchise. He could not be trusted as the last line of defense - he was constantly getting burned.

Hervoyel
10-29-2007, 04:37 PM
like we can trust them when they report injuries....yeah.

True, this is the kind of thing that in TexansWorld can be season ending ankle surgery in 4 weeks.

Errant Hothy
10-29-2007, 04:38 PM
You do realize that the Lions lead the league in takeaways, right? Yea, nice one.

I bet the Lions wished that INTs were the only defensive stat that mattered. The lions were 28th in total D, 25th in pass D, 22nd in plays over 20 yrds allowed, 21 in plays over 40 yards allowed, and no team's oppentents had a higher completion % then the Lions (ie the allowed the highest completion % off all teams in the NFL).

Yup I beat those Lions sure wish that INTs were the only thing that a D had to focus on.

And if Fletcher is so good, remind me off all the teams that tried to sign him this offseason...that's right I forgot about and the and then the tried to sign him.

Fletcher would be out of the NFL if the Texans were not in as bad shape as they are in regards to depth.

Also, everyone grows in a system that they are just learning in. Doesn't matter how old you are.

Name a good play Fletcher has had this season and I'll concede the point.

TexansSeminole
10-29-2007, 04:44 PM
And if Fletcher is so good

Fletcher would be out of the NFL if the Texans were not in as bad shape as they are in regards to depth.

Who said Fletcher was so good? Not me. About Fletcher having no job in the NFL: That's just either a completely idotic statement or a completely uninformed statement. Fletcher had 3 INTs last year. He also had an INT in both the two seasons before that. He is obviously showing a nack for intercepting the ball in the last few years.

He would easily get picked up by another team if he were cut by us.

Name a good play Fletcher has had this season and I'll concede the point.

Name a play that Petey has made. Name a game where Fletcher played half as much as Petey. I'm not saying Fletcher is good or not. I am saying give him a chance over someone who continually gets exposed for what he is, a bad football player.

Double Barrel
10-29-2007, 04:46 PM
Conversely, he consistently states that Mario is doing a great job, exceptional job, etc. His tone with Mario has been positive all season, pretty much since the Cowboys preseason game. So I'm wondering - what job or role does this staff have lined out for Mario? Obviously, Kubiak is happy with how Mario is performing at his job, whatever it may be, so I am curious what that entails.

Maybe I'm being cynical, but I have to wonder if Mario being his first pick as a new HC has anything to do with it.

I'm not a hater and not calling him 'bust', but dude just fails to impress me. Perhaps I should expect nothing, and my expectations will then be fulfilled. Pretty much how I feel about this franchise in general right about now.

eriadoc
10-29-2007, 04:50 PM
Maybe I'm being cynical, but I have to wonder if Mario being his first pick as a new HC has anything to do with it.

I'm not a hater and not calling him 'bust', but dude just fails to impress me. Perhaps I should expect nothing, and my expectations will then be fulfilled. Pretty much how I feel about this franchise in general right about now.

As a fellow cynic, I'd be with you on that, except Kubiak has pointed out, in the past, where Mario has had work to do. In the first couple preseason games this year, for that matter. I think Kubiak genuinely sees Mario playing his position well. Without having access to coach's film, I'd really like to know what the heck he's seeing that we're not. I am puzzled.

Errant Hothy
10-29-2007, 04:51 PM
Who said Fletcher was so good? Not me. About Fletcher having no job in the NFL: That's just either a completely idotic statement or a completely uninformed statement. Fletcher had 3 INTs last year. He also had an INT in both the two seasons before that. He is obviously showing a nack for intercepting the ball in the last few years.

He would easily get picked up by another team if he were cut by us.

Name a play that Petey has made. Name a game where Fletcher played half as much as Petey. I'm not saying Fletcher is good or not. I am saying give him a chance over someone who continually gets exposed for what he is, a bad football player.

Yup cause there was sucha rush to sign the mighty Jamaal Fletcher last offseason.

I mean there were even teams in desperate help at DB that tried to sign him; all I can say is thank god the Texans were abel to talk him into coming here.

I can say that Fletcher would not have a job this year without the Texans because that is what palyed out last offseason. Because no team but the Texans made a move to sign him. NONE. Fletcher was part of one of the worst pass D last year, and now he's part of one of the worst pass Ds this year and he still cannot get on the field.

Do you ever wonder why?

Do you wonder why the Lions let him go?

eriadoc
10-29-2007, 04:53 PM
When you defend a player's performance by pointing out how poorly his backup is performing, you've pretty much conceded the point, IMO.

Errant Hothy
10-29-2007, 04:56 PM
Whatever. My point is a) that there is no better option at CB2 then the rotation of Bennett and Faggins and b) Fletcher is no better, and in my view worse, then Petey.

I never said that Petey is good.

Texans_Chick
10-29-2007, 04:59 PM
As a fellow cynic, I'd be with you on that, except Kubiak has pointed out, in the past, where Mario has had work to do. In the first couple preseason games this year, for that matter. I think Kubiak genuinely sees Mario playing his position well. Without having access to coach's film, I'd really like to know what the heck he's seeing that we're not. I am puzzled.

Maybe it is a compared-to-what situation. Compared to Anthony Weaver?

Actually, I think Kubiak talks about Mario each week because that is one of the few players on defense that reporters bother to ask about. And Kubiak says basically good not spectacular. Which is about right.

Personally, I think it is funny that R. Justice, as an example, always begins and ends his discussion of the Texans defense with Mario and Faggins but won't say a peep about Richard Smith. The defensive issues are more than just Mario and Faggins. Hard to have an amazing day on the defensive line when the secondary is doing some absolutely goofy things. Woohooo, 4 plays and a score.

Jerome Solomon has his pointy stick out on Richard Smith in his blog.

TexansSeminole
10-29-2007, 05:01 PM
Fletcher was part of one of the worst pass D last year, and now he's part of one of the worst pass Ds this year and he still cannot get on the field.

How much of a part is he really? Look at who is giving up most of our TDs through the air.

Fletcher may be worse than Petey, but I wouldn't be able to tell. Petey has seen so many more snaps in this scheme than Fletcher, I can't accurately grade them. But it is obvious that Petey is picked on by every team that plays us no matter where he is lined up on the field.

My point is that we need to give some of these other guys equal opportunity that Petey is getting. It is just not fair to let Petey play way more than these other guys and he does not even play well.

When you defend a player's performance by pointing out how poorly his backup is performing, you've pretty much conceded the point, IMO.

Agreed. And why not give him equal opportunity at the nickel spot. If he get's burned let him, that's fine, then we know it as so, but to not give me a fair chance...just mind boggling to me.

If it were up to me I'd have CB#1: Dunta, CB#2: Bennett, CB#3: Fletcher for next game. I wouldn't even substitute unless my guys were tired.

eriadoc
10-29-2007, 05:04 PM
Maybe it is a compared-to-what situation. Compared to Anthony Weaver?

Actually, I think Kubiak talks about Mario each week because that is one of the few players on defense that reporters bother to ask about. And Kubiak says basically good not spectacular. Which is about right.

See, this is where I'm lost. Kubiak never really sounds like he's saying "basically good not spectacular". He uses words like great and exceptional. In today's presser, he said Mario was exceptional. And he lumped him in with Dunta Robinson. I'm just not getting it, and I am not bashing Mario - he just hasn't been exceptional, that I can see. So I figure I don't know what the hell I'm looking for, and I'd like some enlightenment.

TexansSeminole
10-29-2007, 05:08 PM
See, this is where I'm lost. Kubiak never really sounds like he's saying "basically good not spectacular". He uses words like great and exceptional. In today's presser, he said Mario was exceptional. And he lumped him in with Dunta Robinson. I'm just not getting it, and I am not bashing Mario - he just hasn't been exceptional, that I can see. So I figure I don't know what the hell I'm looking for, and I'd like some enlightenment.

Yea I have the same thing to say about Kubiak and what he says about Mario. I can't figure out if he is just trying to pimp the players he wants to keep or he is being downright serious.

houstonhurricane
10-29-2007, 05:21 PM
I figured everyone outside of the noob fans knew exactly who Matt Stevens was. I don't know of any player more hated than him in this franchise history.

Buchanon... :)

eriadoc
10-29-2007, 05:29 PM
Kubiak on SR610 right now, and just had some more gushing comments about Mario Williams. Rich Lord kind of posed the question we're asking, which is "WTF?", and Kubiak said all you have to do is cut the film on him, or call the left tackle from SD. He then gave one specific example, on the busted coverage TD to Gates, saying that Mario almost single-handedly beat a double team and got a hand on Rivers and altered the throw to a small extent.

I think I need to pay better attention. Kubiak's comments made it very clear he considers Mario's play to be at a very high level right now and all season.

Lucky
10-29-2007, 05:31 PM
Kubiak also said that Andre Johnson has "an excellent chance" of playing in Oakland this week. Hey, don't shoot the messenger.

Texan_Bill
10-29-2007, 05:32 PM
Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice - shame on me!!!

HoustonFrog
10-29-2007, 05:46 PM
Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice - shame on me!!!

You know, I almost had to turn off 610. I'm so tired of hearing Kubes praise Mario. It was more than "good" today he was in fantasy land of football where Mario did some great things and was steaming through double teams and making QB's throws off. Just say, "he is off and on but improving and has alot to work on." I'd take that all day instead of hearing about secret film that shows him making wonder moves. I'm glad two women called in to rag on them about being buddies with people after games instead of being peeved.

Kubiak on SR610 right now, and just had some more gushing comments about Mario Williams. Rich Lord kind of posed the question we're asking, which is "WTF?", and Kubiak said all you have to do is cut the film on him, or call the left tackle from SD. He then gave one specific example, on the busted coverage TD to Gates, saying that Mario almost single-handedly beat a double team and got a hand on Rivers and altered the throw to a small extent.

I think I need to pay better attention. Kubiak's comments made it very clear he considers Mario's play to be at a very high level right now and all season.

Sorry eriadoc, didn't see this but see my comments above. I want to see this Zupruder game film./

Double Barrel
10-29-2007, 05:46 PM

I'm like you. We don't have access to game film, so we just don't get a chance to see what the coaches see.

I have to wonder if we can trust these comments at face value. It seems like Mario is just a fraction away from making the plays and being dominant. Will that happen given more time? 3 years is a pretty good mark for defensive linemen, so I guess we have another season to wait for his breakout season.

TexansSeminole
10-29-2007, 05:50 PM
I'm like you. We don't have access to game film, so we just don't get a chance to see what the coaches see.

I have to wonder if we can trust these comments at face value. It seems like Mario is just a fraction away from making the plays and being dominant. Will that happen given more time? 3 years is a pretty good mark for defensive linemen, so I guess we have another season to wait for his breakout season.

I dunno. I think alot of us, including myself, are being hard on him, but I think it is a bit deserved. I also wonder if we had a decent to good secondary, how much of a difference would that make for Mario and our D-line.

nunusguy
10-29-2007, 05:51 PM
Then he went on to praise the play of CC Brown !
Kubiak must have been reviewing a different game, because I have no idea
how he can reach those kind of conclusions about Mario & CC ?
When I see Mario play, it looks like he is just going thru the motions, he lacks any
real intensity.

Honoring Earl 34
10-29-2007, 05:53 PM
I listened when Kubiak was asked about getting even for the hit on Schaub . Kubiak said they did'nt teach that type of football .

At that point ... for whatever reason ... I thought about who would be the perfect sponsor for the Gary Kubiak show ?

I came up with ... The Gary Kubiak Show brought to you by ... The Amish because we're pacifist .

TexansSeminole
10-29-2007, 05:53 PM
Then he went on to praise the play of CC Brown !
Kubiak must have been reviewing a different game, because I have no idea
how he can reach those kind of conclusions about Mario & CC ?

I can for sure say that CC was easily beaten by Antonio Gates during that game. It isn't even that CC was out of position...he just got confused on the route. I'm not sure CC understands the tendencies of the offenses we play. I think he just takes everything as it comes to him.

Runner
10-29-2007, 06:00 PM
Mario is exceptional?

About Gates' touchdown, he said something like, "Mario almost single handedly beat a double team and had a hand on Rivers causing the weak throw that almost didn't get there". He may have said "almost had a hand on him". I need to check that one out on DVR and see what he sees.

Honoring Earl 34
10-29-2007, 06:04 PM
About Gates' touchdown, he said something like, "Mario almost single handedly beat a double team and had a hand on Rivers causing the weak throw that almost didn't get there". He may have said "almost had a hand on him". I need to check that one out on DVR and see what he sees.

I thought someone bumped Rivers as he threw it . At the very least they did'nt allow him to step into the Throw .

http://www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d803b241f

TEXANRED
10-29-2007, 06:12 PM

He also said that he was very happy with his caoching staff.

utahmark
10-29-2007, 06:44 PM
He also said that he was very happy with his caoching staff.

if he's so happy with everyones job. why we still getting our a$$ kicked.

White Runningback
10-29-2007, 06:48 PM
Pacifist? More like passive-aggressive. Maybe his ego is getting in the way of his ability to cope with being second-guessed. Maybe he should check his because A.) this is the NFL, B.) Houston has rabid fans and C.) Kubiak isn't close to Tony Dungy's level, and should not expect a free pass.

dtran04
10-29-2007, 06:48 PM
Mario also got praise from ND Kalu. Kalu shoots straight from the hip so he's definitely not sugar coating it. I think fans often look at one or a handful of plays instead of evaluating as a whole.

Leahmic223
10-29-2007, 06:58 PM
Mario didn't play bad, I'd give his performance last week about B-

As for Kubiak praising him after watching the film. One thing about game film is they can see the secondary and really examine where things go wrong, if things go wrong in the secondary quick enough, the Dline has NO CHANCE at getting a sack. Unless of course you are playing against a Carr-esque QB that can't read coverages and wouldn't notice the open guy. So there may have been plays where Mario beat his man but the coverage didn't hold up to allow him to really get to the QB.

I don't know how many hurries Mario had, he did have a sack and I am guessing he had 4 hurries.

I don't think Mario is that big of a problem. I think the Dline will play better if our secondary could actually cover guys...which brings me to Faggins...why is he starting?

I think he has done enough to lose his starting job.

Silver Oak
10-29-2007, 06:59 PM
I don't think anyone should be surprised by Coach Kubiak saying that the Texans are not about retaliation hits. It would seem pretty hollow to pop off in a news conference. I think it's an unwritten rule/agreement players have for one another. It's the "Band of Brothers" thing ya know?

Vinny
10-29-2007, 07:11 PM
Mario didn't play bad, I'd give his performance last week about B-

As for Kubiak praising him after watching the film. One thing about game film is they can see the secondary and really examine where things go wrong, if things go wrong in the secondary quick enough, the Dline has NO CHANCE at getting a sack. Unless of course you are playing against a Carr-esque QB that can't read coverages and wouldn't notice the open guy. So there may have been plays where Mario beat his man but the coverage didn't hold up to allow him to really get to the QB.

I don't know how many hurries Mario had, he did have a sack and I am guessing he had 4 hurries.

I don't think Mario is that big of a problem. I think the Dline will play better if our secondary could actually cover guys...which brings me to Faggins...why is he starting?

I think he has done enough to lose his starting job.Mario had one tackle and one assist (http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter?season=2007&week=REG8&game_id=29306). I don't think he was a big problem Sunday, but he wasn't a difference maker at all....just like most of his games.

Runner
10-29-2007, 07:14 PM
I thought someone bumped Rivers as he threw it . At the very least they did'nt allow him to step into the Throw .

http://www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d803b241f

I just watched it on TV a couple of times. Mario pushed his man back into Rivers, probably affecting the throw. Calling it "beating a double team" is VERY generous, however. The guard did stick his arm out to the left while looking for someone to block. That's it.

It's at the 6:00 mark of the 1st quarter if anyone who wants to check it out.

drewmar74
10-29-2007, 07:37 PM
I just watched it on TV a couple of times. Mario pushed his man back into Rivers, probably affecting the throw. Calling it "beating a double team" is VERY generous, however. The guard did stick his arm out to the left while looking for someone to block. That's it.

My hat is off to you, sir. I couldn't bring myself to TiVo the game because I felt like it would be tantamount to recording a bus load of nuns and orphans stuck in a bus on railroad tracks - too horrible to ever play back. Even if I had recorded it, though, I wouldn't be man enough to go back and watch it again. No, not even in the name of science.

You've got stones of brass, sir, to go back and watch that travesty again.

Although I wouldn't mind seeing Echemandu before he tweaked his hammy.... I suppose I'll just wait til next week, though.

Runner
10-29-2007, 08:08 PM
I watched just a very short segment a couple of times. I could handle it.

nunusguy
10-29-2007, 08:23 PM

If he played closer to Kubiaks assessment than what I thought I saw, I'm delighted to admit I was wrong.
I certainly hope Kubiak is on mark if he's describing Marios play as "at a very high level".

Texans_Chick
10-29-2007, 08:25 PM
Mario also got praise from ND Kalu. Kalu shoots straight from the hip so he's definitely not sugar coating it. I think fans often look at one or a handful of plays instead of evaluating as a whole.

This is what Kalu said:

(on if he is seeing enough urgency and passion) Yes, even when you watch the film, were down 35-10 and (CB) Dunta Robinson had two of the best tackle Ive seen from a cornerback. (DE) Mario (Williams) gets a lot of heat but if you watch him the whole game, he had a pretty good game. Its there and no body ever gave up. We played bad football. Im going to sit here and sugarcoat it for you.

I finally read everything Kubiak said:

That whole discussion of dings, and dodging talking about the concussion word is crap:

(on the injury update from yesterday, especially QB Matt Schaub) (QB) Matt (Schaub), all his tests were fine. He was back with the team today. He was in meetings. Hes going to be day-to-day, so well have to wait and see. Hes not feeling great today, so well see and well take it day-by-day.

(on what grade of a concussion it was) No, they really didnt tell me that, just that he got dinged pretty good. Hes having some headaches. I know hes having some headaches today. Like I said, hes around the football team today, so well just take it day-to-day.

(on if the league has a rule that he has to be out for a period of time) No, all I know is there are a series of tests that we run on players when things happen. Theyll obviously do that with him.

(on if hes calling it a concussion) Am I? Im not calling it anything. Im just saying he got dinged and hes not feeling very good today and well wait and see.

Does he have to be that evasive for medical privacy reasons or something? I know there is a minimum stuff that they are supposed to reveal, but wow, that's pretty tap dancy there.

The best thing he is doing is having the entire team watch film together:

(on what he said to the players in meetings today) Were just honest with each other. We sit in here and watch the game together. One of the things that goes on in football, a lot of people separate the special teams go here, defense goes here, offense goes there and its easy to go worry about your own problems. My perspective and the way I look at things, and it may be a little different, but I think our problems are team problems. So when we sit in here and watch film, we watch it together offense watch the defense, defense watch the offense. I think its important that players know whats going on amongst both groups. Its not just, Hey our rooms getting this done, your rooms getting that done. Were just trying to address our problems as a team and make sure that we stay as a team as we move forward and try to fix these problems.

I think that is worth doing, especially for a team that has been very cliqued up in the past.

Eric Winston on the retaliation issue on Schaub:

(on whats the reaction when you see guys go after the quarterback) A lot of the guys are upset, but what are you going to do. We could be five-year old kids and go try to hit him back or we just try to get it back on the field. Thats what were going to try to do. Were not going to quit. Theres not going to be any quit in this team. Were going to keep swinging. Were going to keep fighting. Were going to keep playing hard and you have to figure the law of statistics are going to catch up with us at some point. We just have to go out there and just get 100 percent effort, execute better, and hopefully the ball will start bouncing our way.

dtran04
10-29-2007, 08:35 PM
The thing that jumped out to me was that the guy that knocked Schaub also took a cheapshot at Flanagan and took him out. That's ridiculous.

Runner
10-29-2007, 08:36 PM
I certainly hope Kubiak is on mark if he's describing Marios play as "at a very high level".

I wouldn't go that far; that's not what I meant to imply. He pushed his man back almost into the QB, who threw a TD pass. It was the typical phantom double team on Mario too.

He almost made a play. He almost played at a very high level that play. :)

Silver Oak
10-29-2007, 08:39 PM
The thing that jumped out to me was that the guy that knocked Schaub also took a cheapshot at Flanagan and took him out. That's ridiculous.

I didn't know that either.

Runner
10-29-2007, 08:43 PM
This is what Kalu said:

(on if he is seeing enough urgency and passion) “Yes, even when you watch the film, we’re down 35-10 and (CB) Dunta Robinson had two of the best tackle I’ve seen from a cornerback. (DE) Mario (Williams) gets a lot of heat but if you watch him the whole game, he had a pretty good game. It’s there and no body ever gave up. We played bad football. I’m going to sit here and sugarcoat it for you.”

Sweet! :)

nunusguy
10-29-2007, 08:47 PM
I wouldn't go that far; that's not what I meant to imply. He pushed his man back almost into the QB, who threw a TD pass. It was the typical phantom double team on Mario too.

He almost made a play. He almost played at a very high level that play. :)

I know you didn't use that language, or even imply it. But another poster said something along the lines that Kubiaks comments expressed that Marios play produced that kind of performance, a high level of play, during the game and the season.

Runner
10-29-2007, 08:49 PM
I know you didn't use that language, or even imply it. But another poster said something along the lines that Kubiaks comments expressed that Marios play produced that kind of performance, a high level of play, during the game and the season.

Oh, ok. Kubiak did Mario excel as well as Dunta. I put that in the spin category, given the play he used as an example.