PDA

View Full Version : How would YOU fix the Texans?

Dread-Head
10-28-2007, 07:09 PM
If you were Smith or Kubiak. How would YOU fix this football team? Would you fire all your assistants? Run a different defensive package? Get a mob of new receivers and do kind of a modified run and shoot? Revamp the west-coast offense? What would YOU do?

Napa Auto Parts
10-28-2007, 07:49 PM
Fire Gary Kubiak i would send his Butt to College Station personally i would Hire Norm Chow. and try and cut my looses with Mario Williams and put him out on the market after the season hell we might get a third rounder for him.

kiwitexansfan
10-28-2007, 07:54 PM
I like Rick Smith, I feel he gets things done. I would keep him.

I think we have drafted well the last couple of years so I think our college scouting is solid so I would keep them too.

I think we need to decide whether Kubiak is a good coach, and if the answer is yes, give him the assurance he can build this team into his vision, otherwise can him yesterday and find someone we can give the keys for 5 years which is about how long it takes to turn a team in a new direction.

Personnel wise, we need to literally cut anyone who doesn't fit what we want to do, and build the personnel to fit our system, then stick with the system.

There are no quick fixes and when you are this deep in the hole, trying to bandaid things only make things worse in the long and short term.

TEXANRED
10-28-2007, 08:03 PM
Kid nap the patriots team and slap a bull on there helmet.

TEXANRED
10-28-2007, 08:04 PM
I like Rick Smith, I feel he gets things done. I would keep him.

I don't think I understand this comment. What does he get done other than laughing in the bank line with his check in his hand?

Spled
10-28-2007, 08:21 PM
Most of our draft picks next year have to go to O-line and secondary.

TheIronDuke
10-28-2007, 08:22 PM
I would use our 1st pick next year on a defensive end/workout warrior. That would fix all our problems.

The1ApplePie
10-28-2007, 08:24 PM

I really doubt they are going to draft anyone that doesn't handle a football. After another crappy season and markets in Texas running for VY territory, I don't think McNair wants the marque player of the future to be a freakin' lineman.

The1ApplePie
10-28-2007, 08:25 PM
I would use our 1st pick next year on a defensive end/workout warrior. That would fix all our problems.

But make sure he was only mediocre in college first. He is bound to up his game against better talent.

YoungTexanFan
10-28-2007, 08:27 PM
Honestly, we need new cordinaters. Sherman needs to go. We need to realize that some players are not that good. We need a new attitude essientally. Our coaches have nothing to lose and everything to lose at the same time. I mean, they have no legit reason to not be aggressive, but if they fail, they should lose their jobs.

houstonhurricane
10-28-2007, 08:30 PM
3 things in the upcoming draft/free agency that are small, yet important, steps in the right direction:

1) explosive running back;
2) A LT (if Spencer doesn't rebound); and
3) a solid safety

I think Bennet will turn out to be a nice CB and Schaub will do fine if we can protect him and get AJ back.

gjmac2
10-28-2007, 08:31 PM

No doubt. The first three picks (1st, 3rd and 4th) should be o-line, secondary, outside linebacker, in no particular order.

There is no excuse not to address the offensive line. It is essential, and way overdue. We need at least one good safety, and could really use a ball hawking outside linebacker with speed.

I also would not be against trading down with our 1st round pick and getting extra picks. Maybe an additional 3rd rounder. Honestly, this team needs so much, we need as many picks as possible.

Leahmic223
10-28-2007, 08:32 PM

Too bad Mario isn't the start for all our problems either. Not his fault we turn the ball over 11 times the last two games. Not his fault our running game stinks. Not his fault our secondary gets shredded no matter the QB.

The whole teams stinks right now and if Bush was on the team or any one else picked instead I seriously doubt we would be vastly improved.

houstonhurricane
10-28-2007, 08:35 PM
Too bad Mario isn't the start for all our problems either. Not his fault we turn the ball over 11 times the last two games. Not his fault our running game stinks. Not his fault our secondary gets shredded no matter the QB.

The whole teams stinks right now and if Bush was on the team or any one else picked instead I seriously doubt we would be vastly improved.

No, but he is consuming a great deal of cap space and was the first overall pick in the freaking draft - he needs to step up and at least play like a typical 4th round DE draft pick.

gjmac2
10-28-2007, 08:40 PM
Another thing that will help is we will start to come out of salary cap hell next year. I think Houstonprofootball.com has us having like 30-35 million below the cap next year. We can upgrade the roster fast with some high quality free agents.

But again, the o-line MUST be addressed. That cannot be stressed enough.

TheIronDuke
10-28-2007, 08:41 PM

I agree that it's not all Mario's fault. But the fact remains that the Texans spent many years of 1st round draft picks on the DL and nothing has changed since day 1.

I also think the offense isn't looking that bad besides the massive amounts of turnovers. I don't know why we turn the damn ball over so much especially with Kubes preaching about winning the turnover battle as much as he does.

I guess I have to resign myself to the fact that we might not be competitive for a couple of years. In the meantime I'll just enjoy the fact that I have a Houston team to root for.

Brandon420tx
10-28-2007, 08:52 PM
Honestly, we need new cordinaters. Sherman needs to go. We need to realize that some players are not that good. We need a new attitude essientally. Our coaches have nothing to lose and everything to lose at the same time. I mean, they have no legit reason to not be aggressive, but if they fail, they should lose their jobs.

Upgrade Frank Bush to defensive co-ordinator. Put Kyle Shanahan as OC and let Kubiak call the plays. (The purpose for this is Kubiak takes FULL control of the offense, and Kyle becomes his assistant).

1 quality FA on both sides of the ball, NOT 1 overpaid short-term solution or a bunch of "depth" guys. If you can't sign anyone save the cap space for next year, and look to the draft.

1st and 3rd round. LT, RB, or FS, any of those 2 combinations.
4th round another LT just in case, and so we can finally get rid of Salaam.

:d:
Move Zach Diles to WLB, hopefully we either re-sign Clark, or we use our quality FA acquisition on a SLB. Name Bennet our Starter at CB2.

Invest in extra padding for Schaub. Other then that, and the new O-line (and possible new RB) I don't know how to fix our offense...

inschaubwetrust
10-28-2007, 09:16 PM
I think there are a lot of things the team can do this year to help us move along.

Let's start with the offensive line. We have two players that are simply not cutting it, Salaam and Flanagan. My plan would be to activate Studdard at RG and White at Center, and then move Pitts back to LT where he had his best seasons. This offensive line set up couldn't do any worse and probably gives Schaub the best chance to make something happen. Salaam is always letting Schaub/Rosenfels get blindsided and the fewest sacks allowed in team history was a year with Pitts at LT. Studdard needs the experience, Salaam needs off the roster, and Schaub needs the protection. I don't think I need to explain why Flanagan needs off the field, his mediocrity speaks for its self.

Next, the running back situation. If one good thing came out of week 8, it was the surprising perfomance of Joe Echemandu. If nothing else, I think he should be getting Dayne's share of the carries. I would really like to see him take the bulk of the carries in one of our upcoming games, seeing as how Ahman Green has yet to do anything that would justify his salary or the excitement that came with his signing. I am not saying that he should bump Green off for the top spot just yet, but I am definately saying that we should give him a start sometime this season...perhaps later when we are completely out of the playoff picture.

Finally, the general philosophy of our play calling. We have to face facts, we are horrible at conservative football. We don't run between the tackles well and relying on the short pass can be a disaterous mistake. We need to go down field more. Running up the middle and hook/slant/screen routes aren't going to hack it anymore. We have a quick slot reciever in Jacoby Jones who would be great on post patterns and a speed demon in Andre Davis who we should be sending down field on a constant basis. Kevin Walter is a also a great reciever, tall and sure handed. When Andre Johnson comes back (hopefully soon) we'll be able to take out Davis and have a real threat down the field. Also, I would like to see us get more creative. We have a very basic set of plays, so basic that the defense seems to know what we're running before the ball is snapped. We need something a little more intriguing.

On defense, more man-to-man. Said simply, we don't have the resources to play a good zone defense. Faggins is constanstly getting burned.

Onto next season:

First things first, fire Richard Smith. His defensive scheme has been a complete embarassment, it's simplistic and easily exploitable. I'm not sure who'll be on the table to replace him, but I would say that Smith's head is definately the first on the chopping block.

Next, I think our draft should depend on what we see in Echemandu. If it turns out that he can make it as a starting running back, I would say that we should invest our first round pick on one of two things; either a LT or CB. We lack in both these areas, and thus could make our team much better by adding some depth. The way I see this season going, I think we could have an early enough pick to snag Ryan Clady out of Boise State. I would encourage you to read up on him, he is a complete beast at the LT position. At the CB position, there are options Reggie Smith (Oklahoma) and Malcom Jenkins (Ohio State). I am suspect of any defensive player coming out of OSU, given the lack of schedule for this season. Reggie Smith would be my choice at the moment, he is killer. However, let's assume that Echemandu does play out like we'd wish...that means that we should definately be aiming for a RB in the first round. Our options will probably include Steve Slayton (West Virginia) and Jonathan Stewart (Oregon). I don't think I have to explain their positives. I would much like the opportunity to build our offensive line/CB corps...so I will be pulling for Echemandu.

In Free Agency, I would say that we take full advantage of our insane amount of cap room. I have no clue who will be available, but I think that we should do our best to put a all-pro veteran on the offensive line. I heard that Kevin Mawae would be open for the center position, that would be a great snag. I just know we need more playmakers, and more proven veterans. A little bit of confidence and certainty couldn't hurt.

That is about all I have at the moment. Oh, and anyone who thinks that we should dump Schaub after this season is a crazy fool...he is proving that he is a playmaker, even with absolutely nothing around him. It's his first season as a starter, and I think he is doing great. Much better than Carr, at the very least.

Leahmic223
10-28-2007, 09:25 PM
I agree that it's not all Mario's fault. But the fact remains that the Texans spent many years of 1st round draft picks on the DL and nothing has changed since day 1.

I also think the offense isn't looking that bad besides the massive amounts of turnovers. I don't know why we turn the damn ball over so much especially with Kubes preaching about winning the turnover battle as much as he does.

I guess I have to resign myself to the fact that we might not be competitive for a couple of years. In the meantime I'll just enjoy the fact that I have a Houston team to root for.

That is true, too much invested in the Dline, sooner or later they are going to have to step up and play to their potential.

The offense isn't looking too bad, especially the passing game. I think we pretty much matched San Diego in total yardage...but once again 5 turnovers is too much.

drewmar74
10-28-2007, 09:31 PM
First things first, fire Richard Smith. His defensive scheme has been a complete embarassment, it's simplistic and easily exploitable. I'm not sure who'll be on the table to replace him, but I would say that Smith's head is definately the first on the chopping block.

Amen.

so I will be pulling for Echemandu.

Amen and amen

In Free Agency, I would say that we take full advantage of our insane amount of cap room. I have no clue who will be available, but I think that we should do our best to put a all-pro veteran on the offensive line.

Amen, amen, amen

Heck of a first post! Welcome aboard the good ship anguish!

inschaubwetrust
10-28-2007, 09:52 PM
Heck of a first post! Welcome aboard the good ship anguish!

Thank you, good sir. Good to be here. :specnatz:

Tulip
10-28-2007, 10:09 PM
I think there are a lot of things the team can do this year to help us move along.

I didn't want to quote your whole post for space reasons, but that was an excellent post. I am pretty much in agreement with everything you said.

Carr Bombed
10-28-2007, 10:15 PM
After another crappy season and markets in Texas running for VY territory, I don't think McNair wants the marque player of the future to be a freakin' lineman.

Why, he felt that way back in 2006.

Too bad he took the wrong one.

This team needs a legit longterm franchise LT and until we realize this and start spending some high draft picks to get this line fixed.........we will go NOWHERE, we will be stuck in a rut on the field and off of it also.

kiwitexansfan
10-28-2007, 10:32 PM
I don't think I understand this comment. What does he get done other than laughing in the bank line with his check in his hand?

The drafts he has supervised have been succesful on the whole.

He makes decisive moves to get the people that his coaches want e.g Schaub.

Acts to plug holes, e.g Demps, Boulware.

He isn't afraid to take a cap hit for future benefits, he moves FA's in and out the door looking for the diamond in the rough, or to pick their brain about the opponent.

threetoedpete
10-29-2007, 12:10 AM
If you were Smith or Kubiak. How would YOU fix this football team? Would you fire all your assistants? Run a different defensive package? Get a mob of new receivers and do kind of a modified run and shoot? Revamp the west-coast offense? What would YOU do?

They have who they have untill next febuary. You can whine and moan all you want but that's the reality of it. You gotta figure anyone on the bench who offered a ray of hope at improvement would of already been out there. They are to the point they have nothing to loose. Save what for what ? We have a goose egg in the conference for wins. We ain't going to majically save the season with a run of wins.

There is nothing wrong with the recievers. Nor the passing attack. Considering they have an almost flat lined rushing attack, that is the one thing we should have a ray of hope in.

I didn't know and didn't post that A.J.'s little twisted knee was as severe as it was. I hinted at it. But it is obvious at this point we're nearing Tony Bosselli, Kalee Wong range with this injury. I'll tell you what they aren't telling you, they don't know when or if A.J. will be back. Furhter if it doesn't heal up the next few weeks he ought to go ahead with the operation and get on line now for the '08 season.

As far as all the gnashing of teeth about Mario and Richard Smith that's done in here the fact of the matter is they have now, the personel to switch to a 3-4 scheme that the Kansas City Chiefs used on their SB runs of the seventies. The don't have a Bobby Bell, but they could try to run it and see what happens. It is clear they cannot get pressure with four five or six in the four three. No one gets there. Outragous ? maybe but at this point what do you have to loose ? They aren't going anywhere this year.

threetoedpete
10-29-2007, 12:24 AM

Well you going to be the highest paid guy on the team who is not the local water walker gotta figure if you don't produce some of the fan are going to hook you up to the whipping post. They were wrong on DC being the only problem with the club. Just as they are wrong now calling Mario a bust. Once A.J. and Mckinney went down all the illusions by these knuckle draggers got exposed. They don't like it but that the way it is. Noticed two weeks ago St. Vincent took his first leg injury. Won't be long now. Reggie is still looking for the easist quickest way to the sidelines. We took the correct guy. The jury is still out on whether or not he will develope.

marks01234
10-29-2007, 12:24 AM
Why, he felt that way back in 2006.

Too bad he took the wrong one.

This team needs a legit longterm franchise LT and until we realize this and start spending some high draft picks to get this line fixed.........we will go NOWHERE, we will be stuck in a rut on the field and off of it also.

If you are refering to D'Brickshaw Ferguson, he has been rather average thus far too. While I definately supporting building from the LT position, he doesn't exactly scream Walter Jones/Orlando Pace.

Really, the entire draft for what it was hyped for, has been poor. At this point, the draft has produced nothing more than some outstanding second round picks (Marcus McNeil, Devin Hester, Ryans).

Relax, Mario is only 22 years old. Our problems extend well beyond him and would even if he was playing at Reggie White's level.

Runner
10-29-2007, 12:31 AM
If you are refering to D'Brickshaw Ferguson, he has been rather average thus far too. While I definately supporting building from the LT position, he doesn't exactly scream Walter Jones/Orlando Pace.

I'd take an upgrade to average at the need position of LT over having another average at best defensive lineman. They have a few of those.

Bulluck53
10-29-2007, 12:34 AM
I would trade Andre Johnson to a division foe with a young QB who needs a go-to receiver....

But seriously I would go about fixing the rest of the o-line, drafting/signing a stud safety and drafting/signing a good running back.

I don't think a stud back is necessarily a need, Schaub's style is kind of an extension of the running game so if you can get someone consistent in there yall would be set.

Carr Bombed
10-29-2007, 12:51 AM
edit

Carr Bombed
10-29-2007, 12:53 AM

While he's not Walter Jones or Pace, he is a bright young LT who is doing his job in NY and will only improve as the years go on.

Relax, Mario is only 22 years old. Our problems extend well beyond him and would even if he was playing at Reggie White's level.

First of all, ALOT of our problems on defense would be solved if he was playing at Reggie White's level......that statement is rediculous

Second, Mario Williams is not going to all of a sudden gain more explosiveness or strength and I really don't care how old he is, Amobi as a 20 year old has already shown more flashes than Mario has in 2 years. Even the sacks Mario has gotten this year were cheap sacks. (the 2 in KC and the one today) He constantly takes himself out of plays, shows absolutely ZERO pass rushing instincts, and I'm tired of watching him try to run around the outside shoulder of LTs........he's too stupid to realize the LTs in this league are now baiting him and letting him once again run himself out of another play. For once I just want to see him BLOW UP a LT and take down the QB.......that's what he was drafted to do.

D'Brickshaw Ferguson is atleast doing his job, I would trade Mario for him in a heartbeat.

Dread-Head
10-29-2007, 01:45 AM
(a dreadlocked figure with a white beard decends from a mountain top [or falls off his highhorse] holding two stone tablets.)

Brothers and sisters! I bring a possible soloution to our problem! It worked for the Chicago Bears in 1985 and feel it could work for us. We bring in Iron Mike Ditka as the head coach and have him draft an offensive scheme. Secondly we treat our defense as a completely seperate entity and put it under the leadership...of Buddy Ryan! These two men hate one another, but because neither of these type A personalities wants to be out done by the other each will create a kick ass unit to spite the other.
We keep the two seperate from one another and watch our opponets drop like dominoes.

Of course the downside to this would be the fact that these two cats HATE each other and one would eventually wind up killing the other. We need Buddy Ryan running our defense. Hell at this point I'd settle for JERI Ryan running our defense. I mean come on she was 7 of 9 Trudiciary Adjunct to unimatirx 01. She can run a defense. She can't do any worse.

Texanmike02
10-29-2007, 02:21 AM
No, but he is consuming a great deal of cap space and was the first overall pick in the freaking draft - he needs to step up and at least play like a typical 4th round DE draft pick.

Here's the thing about the DL. A CB can't cover a receiver forever, that's true. But when your DB's start most plays 7 or 8 yards off the ball, your DL doesn't have a chance. That's just how this game works. I think you could put Julius Peppers, Grady, Sapp and Freeny on this line and you wouldn't notice much more of a pass rush. Ok maybe that's an overstatement, but we've tried fixing the DL... Maybe its time to look at the DBs a little too.

Mike

Texanmike02
10-29-2007, 02:22 AM
(a dreadlocked figure with a white beard decends from a mountain top [or falls off his highhorse] holding two stone tablets.)

Brothers and sisters! I bring a possible soloution to our problem! It worked for the Chicago Bears in 1985 and feel it could work for us. We bring in Iron Mike Ditka as the head coach and have him draft an offensive scheme. Secondly we treat our defense as a completely seperate entity and put it under the leadership...of Buddy Ryan! These two men hate one another, but because neither of these type A personalities wants to be out done by the other each will create a kick ass unit to spite the other.
We keep the two seperate from one another and watch our opponets drop like dominoes.

Of course the downside to this would be the fact that these two cats HATE each other and one would eventually wind up killing the other. We need Buddy Ryan running our defense. Hell at this point I'd settle for JERI Ryan running our defense. I mean come on she was 7 of 9 Trudiciary Adjunct to unimatirx 01. She can run a defense. She can't do any worse.

I say we just bring KG back and let him and Buddy go for round two.

Mike

scourge
10-29-2007, 02:23 AM
as far as players...
- start using a Green/Ech... combo at opposed to a green/dayne backfield

- Swap out Faggins for Bennett

- offseason look for a STAR free agent... pay big if you have to. show a commitment to building a winning team. Don't have to go Snyder or Jerrah on us, but one huge free agent signing would be nice.

- next 1st rd pick should be FS/RB/LT... the best of those 3.

as far as assistants
- swap out Dick for Bush... yeah, i said it, but you know what i mean

- I don't really know who calls the o-plays between Kubiak or Sherman, but but whoever it is should be swapped out for the other.

Honoring Earl 34
10-29-2007, 07:43 AM
I'd start firing some of these underwhelming veterans . Maybe that would light a fire under these guys .

marks01234
10-29-2007, 08:00 AM
While he's not Walter Jones or Pace, he is a bright young LT who is doing his job in NY and will only improve as the years go on.

First of all, ALOT of our problems on defense would be solved if he was playing at Reggie White's level......that statement is rediculous

Second, Mario Williams is not going to all of a sudden gain more explosiveness or strength and I really don't care how old he is, Amobi as a 20 year old has already shown more flashes than Mario has in 2 years. Even the sacks Mario has gotten this year were cheap sacks. (the 2 in KC and the one today) He constantly takes himself out of plays, shows absolutely ZERO pass rushing instincts, and I'm tired of watching him try to run around the outside shoulder of LTs........he's too stupid to realize the LTs in this league are now baiting him and letting him once again run himself out of another play. For once I just want to see him BLOW UP a LT and take down the QB.......that's what he was drafted to do.

D'Brickshaw Ferguson is atleast doing his job, I would trade Mario for him in a heartbeat.

You must have missed Mario's sack against NY last year. His KC sacks weren't exactly cheap either. They weren't highlight reel plays but they were certainly solid plays.

Mario does take himself out of a lot of plays and he does need a lot of work. But the potential evident. He's currently fourth amongst AFC DE's in sacks, top 20 in the league and has the same or more sacks than Dwight Freeney, Jason Taylor and Julius Peppers. He's got a defensive TD to boot. Surely these all can't be just luck.

Ok maybe Reggie White was a bad example. But there isn't a single NFL DE that right now would be able to transform this situation. Not Peppers, not Freeney, not Taylor.

BTW, by one count D'Brick gave up 11 sacks last year. Face it, if we had selected him last year, plenty of people still wouldn't be happy.

DBCooper
10-29-2007, 10:30 AM
Upgrade Frank Bush to defensive co-ordinator. Put Kyle Shanahan as OC and let Kubiak call the plays.

I agree with this.

We need new Coordinators on both sides.

Bush needs to be in charge of the defense, and lets see what Lil Shanny can do on offense.

We need an attitude adjustment and we need it now!

Texan_Bill
10-29-2007, 10:36 AM
Re: How would YOU fix the Texans?

Dr. Who's time machine.....

http://www.workdance.com/Site_Images/Galleries/3D/Tardis_Model.jpg

"With the first pick of the 2002 draft, the Houston Texans select:
from the University of North Carolina............. DE Julius Peppers."

HOU-TEX
10-29-2007, 10:43 AM
Fire the Coordinators! Sooner rather than later. Why wait? Get the search started now. It's not like we're going to the playoffs. :bat:

Porky
10-29-2007, 11:35 AM
Well, many things cannot be done until the offseason, but the past few weeks are totally unacceptable, and somone needs to send a message.

I would can Richard Smith today, and elevate Frank Bush. Can he be any worse than Smith? Hardly. I'm a little undecided on Sherman. I would keep him until the end of the year and re-evaulate.

In the offseason, priorities, 1a and 1b are a talented young RB, and a safety who can stay within 40 yards of Antonio Gates.

As far as the o-line, I think if we had Adrian Petersen, all the sudden the line would be pretty good. Let them evualate Spencer. If he is good to go, look into an upgrade at C. If not, LT becomes 1C in the list above.

Other areas of need are both OLB spots, corner, and yes my friends, DE. I would move Mario inside in a three man rotation with Okoye and Travis, and keep all three fresh. I doubt they will do that, as it is tantamount admitting they screwed up. Until we get an upgrade, Weaver can play outside on the strong side and help stop the run. That means the other DE needs to be a pass rush demon. So far, in 6 years nobody has stepped to the forefront, and we still have a very weak pass rush.

As to the rest of the coaching, for now I probably give Kubes the benefit of the doubt, but I might pick up the phone and see if Cowher is available, or perhaps even Shottenheimer. If so, I might think about ending the Kubes experiment. Othwerwise, I read the riot act to him, and closely look at the rest of the coaches. It's time to end the day care center known as the Gary Kubiak asst coaching staff. Hire some real coaches, instead of coaching sucking on teething rings.

Lastly, the worst problem right now is turnovers. I have some ideas on this, but I really don't know which way to turn on the thing. I do know that poorly coached teams usually turn it over more than good teams. I also know teams constantly playing catch-up tend to turn it over more than teams playing with a lead. It's a ying and yang type of thing, but much of this all goes back to coaching.

Texans Horror
10-29-2007, 12:07 PM
I am against buying a left tackle or center. I think the Texans history leaves a wake of "bought" offensive lineman that for one reason or another were not able to fix the offensive line. Rather, I would like the Texans to continue to build from the trenches, but on the offensive side of the ball. That means an offensive lineman with their first pick. Preferably left tackle.

I don't think the Texans should draft a running back in the first. It's not out of some loyalty to Green or something. It's just that a lineman will help the pass game and the run game in ways that a new running back will not help the pass game. I truly believe the problem in both cases is the line and that this needs to be addressed before all else. If for no other reason, I don't want to see another Texans QB be beaten into bad play.

For the defense, I like the defensive line. They are young and will improve with experience. But next to the o-line, the second weakest area of the Texans roster is the secondary. They need at least one more stellar back to help with coverage. CB or Safety, whatever is best on the market and gels with the Texans.

Frank Bush needs to be made the defensive coordinator. It might be time to make Kyle Shanahan the OC. Who knows.

But I like what I see for the most part. I think they are closer to complete (player and coaching-wise) than not.

Carr Bombed
10-29-2007, 12:13 PM
You must have missed Mario's sack against NY last year. His KC sacks weren't exactly cheap either. They weren't highlight reel plays but they were certainly solid plays.

Mario does take himself out of a lot of plays and he does need a lot of work. But the potential evident. He's currently fourth amongst AFC DE's in sacks, top 20 in the league and has the same or more sacks than Dwight Freeney, Jason Taylor and Julius Peppers. He's got a defensive TD to boot. Surely these all can't be just luck.

Ok maybe Reggie White was a bad example. But there isn't a single NFL DE that right now would be able to transform this situation. Not Peppers, not Freeney, not Taylor.

BTW, by one count D'Brick gave up 11 sacks last year. Face it, if we had selected him last year, plenty of people still wouldn't be happy.

His sacks against KC were cheap, he benefited from other people's pressure, the damn QB ran into him twice......go look at them again. I also don't care what happened in NY last year, that was last year, just like it was last year the D'brick gave up 11 sacks. Players are supposed to get better from year to year. Mario looks like the same lazy player who shows no feel for the game. D'brick is atleast improving.

Also please stop listing elite DE's and saying they will not improve the situation here, because that is impossible to prove. One of our biggest problems in we aren't getting pressure (frankly I could give a rats ass about sacks I want "consistent" pressure) Peppers plays every play and when he's not getting to the QB he's making the offense account for him and is getting into people's faces. People can't even use the "Mario draws double teams" excuse anymore, because he doesn't.

Vinny
10-29-2007, 12:18 PM
Well, many things cannot be done until the offseason, but the past few weeks are totally unacceptable, and somone needs to send a message.

I would can Richard Smith today, and elevate Frank Bush. Can he be any worse than Smith? Hardly. I'm a little undecided on Sherman. I would keep him until the end of the year and re-evaulate. the defense has gotten worse since Bush came on...it may be another case of too many cooks in the soup (think Sherman and Kubiak O-line theory mix). The Cardinals are 10th overall in defense this year at the halfway mark and last year they finished 29th (with Bush)...fwiw.

Andrew6
10-29-2007, 12:26 PM
After finally watching the game last night I have to say there were somethings I noticed that were actually good. Our defense does well when its not on the field all game. Our offense would do better if they were able to run more and not rely on the pass as much, that would eliminate most of the interceptions. Another thing I noticed was that our Offense and Defense look like they are still getting to know eachother and unsure of what the other will do. I think that with time that will work itself out, but for now the team needs to start watching film together, talk about deep dark secrets, what ever it takes to get that gelling together. We do have to remember though that our team is a very young one right now and will take time. Question is how do we rush that so they get better quicker.

marks01234
10-29-2007, 12:26 PM
His sacks against KC were cheap, he benefited from other people's pressure, the damn QB ran into him twice......go look at them again. I also don't care what happened in NY last year, that was last year, just like it was last year the D'brick gave up 11 sacks. Players are supposed to get better from year to year. Mario looks like the same lazy player who shows no feel for the game. D'brick is atleast improving.

Also please stop listing elite DE's and saying they will not improve the situation here, because that is impossible to prove. One of our biggest problems in we aren't getting pressure (frankly I could give a rats ass about sacks I want "consistent" pressure) Peppers plays every play and when he's not getting to the QB he's making the offense account for him and is getting into people's faces. People can't even use the "Mario draws double teams" excuse anymore, because he doesn't.

Actually, Peppers has been ripped by the local Carolina media for his sloughish start and "taking plays off".

And Mario directly created a sack for Okoye and put pretty steady pressure in the KC game.

He's very inconsistenct. But the potential is there and I have little doubt that he won't reach it.

Vinny
10-29-2007, 12:28 PM
After finally watching the game last night I have to say there were somethings I noticed that were actually good. Our defense does well when its not on the field all game.
The Chargers didn't have to take any risks when they had the massive lead. When the game was on the line the last 3 weeks the Texans have been awful on both sides of the ball.

Honoring Earl 34
10-29-2007, 12:36 PM
The Chargers didn't have to take any risks when they had the massive lead. When the game was on the line the last 3 weeks the Texans have been awful on both sides of the ball.

Calling Dr. Debakey .

Porky
10-29-2007, 12:37 PM
the defense has gotten worse since Bush came on...it may be another case of too many cooks in the soup (think Sherman and Kubiak O-line theory mix). The Cardinals are 10th overall in defense this year at the halfway mark and last year they finished 29th (with Bush)...fwiw.

Certainly food for thought. But, at this point, and this may reek of desperation, but I think we need to do the ole sacrficial lamb kind of thing. Sometimes, you have to wake a team up. I say canning Smith, and maybe release someone considered safe, like a Demarcus Faggins, would send a wake up call to the rest of this motely crew. I don't really know if it would, but can it get any worse with Bush?

Last three weeks have all been 35 or more points hung on them. Are we to think it would be 45 with Bush?

Carr Bombed
10-29-2007, 12:39 PM
Actually, Peppers has been ripped by the local Carolina media for his sloughish start and "taking plays off".

And Mario directly created a sack for Okoye and put pretty steady pressure in the KC game.

He's very inconsistenct. But the potential is there and I have little doubt that he won't reach it.

Peppers has already proven he can play and is one of the best at his position, he may be having a bad year, but after thowing up double digit sacks pretty much his entire career, he was due for a down year........to compare him to Mario is completely homerish.

Mario wasn't even the one supplying the most pressure in the KC game, Kalu was.

As far as the last statement, I'm tired of talking about "potential", I see a "potentially" solid player, not a potential "franchise DE" that you can build your defense around. Mario runs a great 40, but has no explosion off the line. Frankly I don't can how fast you can run a 40, the QB isn't 40 yards down the field. DL's should be timed how fast they can cover 5-10 yards. While you think it might not be fair for me to judge him this way, Mario is just another guy right now, he wasn't drafted and paid almost 60 mil, to be just "another guy" He needs to be a hellraiser.

The biggest pet peeve that I have with Mario Williams is how everybody says, "when Mario's mad he's a handful/plays better" or his coach saying "we need to find a way to get Mario mad more often".

Why the hell does Mario have to be "mad" to play up to his potential. That right there tells me he is 1.) Lazy and 2.) doesn't have the motor to be a true difference maker at this level.

Vinny
10-29-2007, 12:47 PM
Certainly food for thought. But, at this point, and this may reek of desperation, but I think we need to do the ole sacrficial lamb kind of thing. Sometimes, you have to wake a team up. I say canning Smith, and maybe release someone considered safe, like a Demarcus Faggins, would send a wake up call to the rest of this motely crew. I don't really know if it would, but can it get any worse with Bush?

Last three weeks have all been 35 or more points hung on them. Are we to think it would be 45 with Bush?

the defensive schemes are awful. In the pre-season Steph invited me to post on her blog and I stated that the defense would let us down this season since we have very few big time players and the young guys all look better in shorts than they do on the field. I'm really not too shocked, but I was hoping for better coaching to help elevate the guys who are mired in "potential". The whole thing just stinks right now.

Hardcore Texan
10-29-2007, 12:54 PM
We need a good OL and a better running game. That's it. I want to see some type of offense. We better draft a couple of O-Lineman and hope Spencer returns too. We also need to take an RB in the round 1 or 3. With Taylor coming back, that might be enough at RB.

As far as defense, we need a new coordinator, it is ridiculous that our front 4 can not get anything done, and we don't even need to talk about DB play....if we want to keep the conversation clean anyway. And yes we have to draft a DB too or bring in stud FA.

Some positives:
I think Bennet is coming along
Jacoby looks like he handled contact alright catching the ball, still look tenative to me on PR's
Echemandu looked pretty darn good, he needs to be rotating with Ahman

Porky
10-29-2007, 12:58 PM
the defensive schemes are awful. In the pre-season Steph invited me to post on her blog and I stated that the defense would let us down this season since we have very few big time players and the young guys all look better in shorts than they do on the field. I'm really not too shocked, but I was hoping for better coaching to help elevate the guys who are mired in "potential". The whole thing just stinks right now.

Totally agree, but is that Bush's schemes, Smith's schemes or some kind of frankenstein hybrid monster? I was under the impression that this is primarily Smith's baby. How you can have a corner or safety so out of position as to not even be in the tv screen shot is beyond me....on more than one occasion. Are the players that bad? confused? is it the scheme? Is it all of the above? I don't know the answers, but I have plenty of questions. :devilpig:

Historyhorn
10-29-2007, 01:00 PM
3 things in the upcoming draft/free agency that are small, yet important, steps in the right direction:

1) explosive running back;
2) A LT (if Spencer doesn't rebound); and
3) a solid safety

I think Bennet will turn out to be a nice CB and Schaub will do fine if we can protect him and get AJ back.

It'll be damn hard to do any more than one of these without a second round pick. We might get lucky with a RB that falls into the 3rd round and turns into a jewel, but those are tough to come by.

Go Texans

leebigeztx
10-29-2007, 02:22 PM
I guess i have a problem with everyone wanting this team to be contenders right now. I'm actually just pleased they're moving along. Does this team have weaknesses? Yes, but with the exception of a few teams, who don't? I'm not here to defend Mario, but why are people still upset about not taking young. Now i'll be the 1st to say I'm a Titans fan 1st,Texans fan 2nd and as a fan of both, I wanted and felt we needed either one. The Only player i didn't want was Bush. I've read about him not doing this or that, but look at who else is on the line and who covers in the back end. Weaver applies no pressure at all, johnson has played ok and okoye is still a rook but is improving. Protection is still sliding towards Williams. Can he do better? Yes, but the entire defense can play better. Cover-sacks,pressure-picks. If you know anything about football, you will understand that phrase. As for fixing the team, they need to keep adding talent. I dont think they entered this thing thinking we will build a playoff team. The goal is to build a superbowl team. The safety spots needs to be adressed as well as the running backs, but i dont think they're going to give a running back big money. I think they wants basically 1200 yds out of their starter and 6-800 out of the backup. Thats why i think Portis/Green combo is what the texans may look at next yr. Just like they had Anderson/Bell in denver, Kubiak i think kinda thinks that way. People just needs to be patient with the team and let them build this thing right.

Battle Red Flash
10-29-2007, 02:26 PM
Right away, I'd swallow my pride, and copy the better teams.
Week by week, I'd run more Colts/Pats plays on Offense, and I'd copy what the Steelers do on Defense.
But first, the Texans coaches have to admit they aren't as smart as those other coaches.

Then, by running proven schemes, you can pinpoint your weakest players.
(If you can't perform in the Steelers Defensive scheme, you sit, get it?)
Also, I'd draft at least 2 O-linemen with my first 3 picks.
Chester, Salaam, Flanagan are WEAK.

Battle Red Flash
10-29-2007, 03:08 PM
One big thing:

Bench Petey now. Or waive his arse.

I just re-watched the first Gates TD. The ball clearly goes over Petey's head. He sees it. But, instead of running as hard as he can to catch Gates, he looks back at the line of scrimmage.
For what possible reason?
To make the coaches think he thought it was a run?
To try to blame someone else?
Inexcusable.

Vinny
10-29-2007, 03:12 PM
One big thing:

Bench Petey now. Or waive his arse.

I just re-watched the first Gates TD. The ball clearly goes over Petey's head. He sees it. But, instead of running as hard as he can to catch Gates, he looks back at the line of scrimmage.
For what possible reason?
To make the coaches think he thought it was a run?
To try to blame someone else?
Inexcusable.Faggins was playing a zone...he released Gates to DeMeco and the S...he was supposed to turn and face the offense because that is what you do when you are in a zone technique. It's called a bad scheme when you cover a guy with the immense talent of Gates with that kind of high school defensive strategy.

HOU-TEX
10-29-2007, 03:17 PM
He was playing a zone...he released the ball to DeMeco and the S...he was supposed to turn and face the offense because that is what you do when you are in a zone technique. It's called a bad scheme when you cover a guy with the immense talent of Gates with that kind of high school defense.

And the Safety was nowhere to be found. Why the heck was he so far out of his coverage zone? Who knows??? I'm not a fan of zone coverage at all, but with a secondary like ours I guess it leaves us with no choice.

Pair our DBs and Richard "I'm Clueless" Smith you get an opposing offense's wet dream come true. :gun:

buddyboy
10-29-2007, 03:22 PM
dude, it's not like the other people on the line aren't benefiting from his pressure. it's a two way street man.

fwiw, mario's numbers are about to where they were last year...and it's only been half a season. i'd consider that marked improvement but i don't feel like a battle of semantics...

I agree whole heartedly. It annoys me when people complain that Mario only got a sack because another player on the line cause pressure. I'm sure that other DLinemen have benefitted from pressure caused by Mario, so complaining that Mario only gets sacks because of other players doesn't fly.

MojoX
10-29-2007, 03:39 PM
Mind you I haven't seen much of the Texans this season to evaluate his play, but what do folks think of putting Eric Winston at LT? Why not give it a shot? Short arms?

Also, if Chris White is better at C than Flannagan then couldn't moving White to starting C and Winston to LT mean an upgrade on the line? Who would play RT?

badboy
10-29-2007, 04:03 PM
I would insist that the players be taught the basic tackles and blocks. Too often I see players watching the ball go right by and not throw a block. Tackling is atrocious.

Dayne would be cut. Go with Green/ Eche the rest of season. I hate to say that since one is still hurt and the other is coming off P.S. It is what it is. Eche would get the start with excuse Green is hurting. This would also motivate Green and not "insult" him. The start should also motivate Eche to maybe have a great game. This is a position we need to have a clear understanding on when going into the off season.

Jacoby Jones becomes a WR. We use one of the other guys for returns that we keep hearing about.."He can do this and returns.." Jones would be used more on end arounds. Andre Davis no longer gets dump passes (Jones either) at the line or over the middle. We have TEs, FBs and Walters for that.

I'd start Sage for Oakland and allow Schaub to heal. Oakland is a game we should be able to win without Matt. I ask Saalam to try to block in place rather than just allowing the DE to run around you. He needs to get into his man more than just sliding with his opponent.

Flannagan is cut immediately. I do not see how anything else could be much worse. This allows the new guys to get some reps. Weary gets a few snaps at center.

I think that McKinney will be back at center next year, allowing White to back up and increase his experience.
Draft:
I trade down (we should be at # 8-10) and get Clady for LT. Black and Saalam are gone next year. If Spencer can come back and play tackle, we can go with that tandem. If C.S. can only play guard, we go with Clady backed by Pitts (moving Spencer to guard or Studdard/Frye). I think no one is too clear if C.S. will come back.

In 2nd round (part of trade) plan 1.a if Green/Eche look good I'd draft best FS available or plan 1.b if not satisfied go with best RB available.

In 3rd round as I think CB 2 will be held by Bennett I go with best LT or center available. We have to solidify the OL.

In 4th I go with best RB irregardless of what occurs in RD 2. My thinking is we have to solidify the running game and protect our QBs. I might look hard at UH rb Aldrige a Steve Slaton type runner, I do not think Jamaal Charles will be available here and his fumbles are a concern.

In the 5th I would pick best OLB or FS available.

Free Agency, I like Samuel for CB and would go hard at him. We have $30 million and to hell with $ if we can lock down CB. I'd try Bennett at FS under this scenario and if unable to upgrade FS, move him to Nickle. I'd also go hard for a solid center. I don't see too many options in FA in a year we have the $ to do something positive. We just can not get a break unless it is someone's leg.

badboy
10-29-2007, 04:05 PM
Mind you I haven't seen much of the Texans this season to evaluate his play, but what do folks think of putting Eric Winston at LT? Why not give it a shot? Short arms?

Also, if Chris White is better at C than Flannagan then couldn't moving White to starting C and Winston to LT mean an upgrade on the line? Who would play RT?
Jordan Black?

gtexan02
10-29-2007, 04:06 PM
First - Fire Sherman and Smith

Second - Hire a tough as nails defensive coordinator and an offensive coordinator who believes in the same scheme as Kubiak

Third - Cut or get rid of Ron Dayne, Flannagan, Black, and one or two TE. Also fire any player who answers this question incorrectly
"My number 1 priority in life is..."
If they say money, cut
If they say family, religion, medical school, whatever, give them the boot.
I want guys who anwer "to inflict pain and win"

Fourth - Promote Bennet to CB2 and move Faggins to Nickel

Fifth - With next years draft, target RB/S/OL

Sixth - With next years FA bucks, target RB/S/OL

Seventh - Hire a new training staff

Eigth - Hire a new media relations that will actually tell the fans the truth

Carr Bombed
10-29-2007, 04:20 PM
dude, it's not like the other people on the line aren't benefiting from his pressure. it's a two way street man.

Well I guess that's why the line isn't getting any pressure, because Mario isn't supplying any for them to "benefit" off of.....if that's a two way street, a septic truck veered into the oncoming lane and caused a 15 car pile-up......nobody's getting through.

Mario is not getting pressure on the QB, well not near as much as a #1 ovrl. pick should be.

fwiw, mario's numbers are about to where they were last year...and it's only been half a season. i'd consider that marked improvement but i don't feel like a battle of semantics...

Mario's sack #s are about where they were last year, but if you read in one of my above posts, I don't care about sacks........I want to see consistent pressure and Mario isn't supplying that. I can name three sacks off the top of my head that were garbage sacks. He was drafted to force the ball out of the QBs hand and to take pressure off the DBs, but it seems the only time he gets to the QB is if the DBs shutdown the receivers.

matter at all? comparing mario to peppers is as valid a comparison as any...just because peppers isn't having a great season doesn't mean he isn't subject to comparison. and just because you think mario is waste doesn't mean he isn't doing just fine.

Go ahead and compare Mario to Peppers if you want to, but anyone that has seen both play knows the only thing they have in common is their size. Peppers is more explosive and despite his "down year" still draws more double teams than Mario Williams and STILL is more disruptive.

Basically Peppers in a down year is > than Mario in a good year (if you want to call this a "good year" for him.)

I would like nothing more for him to prove me wrong and come out and be a elite defensive force, but I'm done making excuses for #1 ovrl. picks. I did it for 4 years with the last one and I'm not going to make that mistake twice. People need to stop making excuses for Mario, it's time he man's up, is held accountable for his play on the field, and tries to live up to his draft position. There is no reason to "baby" a 6'6 290 pound grown man. A guy that size and "supposedly" that athletic, should be abusing players he goes up against, but instead, most of the time Mario gets shut down right at the point of attack.......for his size the man plays extremely soft. That's right, I'm starting to think Mario Williams is soft......maybe he'll read this and "get mad" :rolleyes:

the wonger need food
10-29-2007, 04:52 PM
If you were Smith or Kubiak.

I would post my resume on Monster. Then fire all of my assistants. Then resign.

Runner
10-29-2007, 07:21 PM
As far as the o-line, I think if we had Adrian Petersen, all the sudden the line would be pretty good. Let them evualate Spencer. If he is good to go, look into an upgrade at C. If not, LT becomes 1C in the list above.

Rewind 6 months. Delete "Adrian Peterson". Insert "Matt Schaub".

I want the offensive line to start making the offensive line look better. Then it might be fixed.

Carr Bombed
10-29-2007, 07:30 PM

I want the offensive line to start making the offensive line look better. Then it might be fixed.

Yep, for once I would like to have a line that made all the other positions look better.

Porky
10-29-2007, 10:02 PM

Uh, Shaub has made the line look better. All I am saying is that it's a two way street, and if Spencer can come back, let's upgrade C and work from there.

Runner
10-29-2007, 10:18 PM
Uh, Shaub has made the line look better. All I am saying is that it's a two way street, and if Spencer can come back, let's upgrade C and work from there.

It hasn't been a two way street yet. For all of Schaub's making the line "look" better, the Texans are 3-5 and plummeting. The offense is horrible, and Schaub having to release the ball too quickly on too many occasions is a big part of that. But yes - sacks are down so the line looks better.

Now let's talk run blocking.

I still prefer a line that is better over one that looks better. I guess it's a foible of mine.

hradhak
10-30-2007, 01:01 AM
I will say that MW has not performed up to my expectations. I will however reserve judgement until I see him play through the end of his 3rd season. I realize that seems like a long time, but I think if by then he doesn't pan out as a DE, I don't think it will ever happen.

brakos82
10-30-2007, 01:05 AM
1. Tell us how long it will be until AJ returns. :gun:

2. Find a RB in case Joe Ickey Shuffle Dude doesn't pan out.

2a. At least somebody we can count on.

3. Look towards FA for safety/ol help.

4. If Option 3 don't work, get them in the draft.

4a. And not in the 6th round.

4a(1). :bat:

5. Get a sniper to shoot at VY when he shows up somewhere besides here.

5a. Don't want to do it here.

5a(1). It would be too obvious.

5a(2). I could do it in '09 when I'm in Seattle and he might be there too.

5a(2)(a). Nah, too risky.

5a(2)(a)(1). You can do it if you want.

6. Kick some NFL ass! :fans:

Napa Auto Parts
10-30-2007, 01:05 AM
I wonder if we could afford a full page ad on the houston chronicle Begging Kubiak to go to college station.