PDA

View Full Version : Patriots and Coaching decisions

TexansCM
10-28-2007, 05:30 PM
I normally don't wish injuries on any team, but up 38 all the Patriots starters are still in and they are passing away. I hope Moss and Brady go down to teach Bellichek a lesson.

jerek
10-28-2007, 05:47 PM
I have to agree that seems a poor choice. At some point you have to draw the line between being thorough and classless. I like the Patriots simply because they are lead by such excellent gameplanners, but running up the score past the point of what is necessary to ensure a W gets obnoxious.

Wolf
10-28-2007, 05:49 PM
i thought the same thing..I have lost respect for the Pats

kastofsna
10-28-2007, 05:50 PM
doesn't bother me. this is the NFL.

TexansCM
10-28-2007, 05:57 PM
Going for it on 4th and 1 from the 8 up 38 and then throwing a TD for a 45 point lead is classless no matter what league you are in. If I were the Redskins I would have late hit and laid out Brady and then pointed over at Bellichek. I don't have a problem with them continuing to try and run the offense, just use the second string.

GoPats
10-29-2007, 12:13 AM
The offense's job is to score points.

The defense's job is to stop them.

You don't want to get run up on by some team? Stop 'em then. You're professional football players too.

Maybe that's not in the 'Skins playbook, but this is the NFL, not Pop Warner. It's not important for everyone to go home feeling good about themselves. Sorry.

TexanSam
10-29-2007, 12:22 AM

You don't want to get run up on by some team? Stop 'em then. You're professional football players too.

Maybe that's not in the 'Skins playbook, but this is the NFL, not Pop Warner. It's not important for everyone to go home feeling good about themselves. Sorry.

My guess is if you were on the other end of the loss you would probably be complaining as well.

Vinny
10-29-2007, 12:33 AM
I normally don't wish injuries on any team, but up 38 all the Patriots starters are still in and they are passing away. I hope Moss and Brady go down to teach Bellichek a lesson.

perhaps we should grade them on a curve...or not mark any papers with red ink...or institute a mercy rule...perhaps we shouldn't take score anymore since, after all, "everyone is a winner". We shouldn't let the mean Pats hurt any teams feelings.

GoPats
10-29-2007, 12:42 AM
My guess is if you were on the other end of the loss you would probably be complaining as well.

I have been. I didn't start watching the Patriots in 2001. I've seen my share of beat-downs, believe me. Does Refigerator Perry scoring a meaningless TD in the '85 Super Bowl ring a bell? That made it 46-3, I think. With millions of people watching.

And for the record, no. I wouldn't complain. The Redskins had three hours on the same field. Complainers are worse than losers.

TexansLucky13
10-29-2007, 12:58 AM
Belichick: "I remember being on that side. When I was coaching defense it was my job to keep the score down, not theirs. When you're playing defense it's your job to stop them. It's not [the offense's] job to not score. It's like I tell the offense, what the [bleep] do you think I send you guys out there for? To punt? We have a punt team for that. That's not your job. Your job is to go out there and score points. If you come off the field and you haven't scored points you haven't done your job."

I agree 100% with this. Why send the offense onto the field if you don't expect them to score? If the defense can't stop them, that's their problem. They didn't do their job.

Matt Cassel came in and scored a late TD to put the game further out of reach. It's not like Brady was out there the whole time trying to get as many yards and TDs as possible. Who can complain about a team whose second string is so good that it can score points on its own? They should be commended.

kastofsna
10-29-2007, 06:40 AM
i love belichick.

swtbound07
10-29-2007, 06:52 AM
I feel ever so sorry for grown millionaires getting embarassed because they are being outperformed at their job, which happens to be a game. I don't feel bad when i put up 100 on madden, and i don't feel bad when the patriots beat everyone within inches of tears. Tom Brady's new official nickname is FTS...which stands for ******* the spread. If you put the line at 40, i still wouldn't take the points. The man is just insane. he's thrown for 30 tds already. He actually looks pissed off when his special teams scores and he can't go out and run the offense.

GoPats
10-29-2007, 07:36 AM
Uh-oh. Randall Godfrey is mad at us.

http://sports.aol.com/fanhouse/2007/10/28/randall-godfrey-to-bill-belichick-you-gotta-show-some-class-s/

"That was blatant disrespect. I hope we can see them again, definitely."

After yesterday, I bet the Pats hope so too Randall.

Exithios
10-29-2007, 07:42 AM

+1

These aren't junior high B teamers whos talent levels vary from squads of 12 year olds facing off against a bunch of grown hairy ignorant men.

The Pats built their team and their FO just like everyone else in the NFL and for the Pats to fling the ball until the end of the game and then get flogged by a bunch of arm chair qb's is assinine. If I was at that game I would have been PO'ed if my team was having to run the ball up the gut every play of the third quarter until games end just to save my opponents face. The Redskins were more guilty of giving up early than the Pats were of running up the score.

This is the NFL folks, if your team is good enjoy it, if they suck then there is always next year.

My $0.02

Brandon420tx
10-29-2007, 08:32 AM
I wish our players thought like that, Don't even worry about what the other units are doing, Offense needs to focus on scoring points and bruising people, and the defense needs to focus on not letting people score points ... and bruising ALOT of people...

Edit: Oh yea, and the most accurate long-snapper in the league needs to focus on getting the damn ball where its supposed to go, not try to make a field goal by himself. Love ya Pittman :bubble: Just once I would like to see Pittman long snap it to himself, followed by him long snapping it 50 yards for the FG!

Silver Oak
10-29-2007, 08:39 AM
after the spying b.s., I think there is a huge chip on every NE player and coach, and they have something to prove to the rest of the league and themselves.

kastofsna
10-29-2007, 09:04 AM
it was done against Miami and i have no problem with it. if they can't stop them, they deserve it. sorry, that's the way it is.

as far as i'm concerned, the only argument you can make from this if keeping Brady in there that long is a smart move. but i got no problem with them throwing and scoring as much as possible. as belichick said, the goal is to score on every possession. much like the goal of the defense is to stop the other team from scoring on every possession. period.

GoPats
10-29-2007, 09:13 AM
and belichick got a taste of his own medicine when gibbs bolted...

That's already been debunked.

http://www.aolcdn.com/aolnews_photos/0d/00/20071029003609990007

Unless this photo is doctored...

kastofsna
10-29-2007, 09:29 AM
Gibbs is old school, he's not going to whine and blame the other team.

GoPats
10-29-2007, 10:14 AM
Gibbs is old school, he's not going to whine and blame the other team.

Of course he's not. But I think this is the 3rd board where I've seen someone claim he walked off the field without a handshake. One of the networks maybe reported it that way? I don't know.

Specnatz
10-29-2007, 10:19 AM
I am looking for it but didn't someone on the Skins say something about being able to win the game?

kastofsna
10-29-2007, 10:20 AM
i think in these sitatuons, someone will fantacize these situations because they think he SHOULD have walked off the field, so they just assume that he did. then it spreads around from there. it's how most rumors start.

btw, the Welker trade is looking great for both of us. Samson Satele is awesome, has future perennial Pro Bowler written all over him. Welker is looking damn fine as well. nice to see a move like that work out so well for both teams.

GoPats
10-29-2007, 10:26 AM
i think in these sitatuons, someone will fantacize these situations because they think he SHOULD have walked off the field, so they just assume that he did. then it spreads around from there. it's how most rumors start.

btw, the Welker trade is looking great for both of us. Samson Satele is awesome, has future perennial Pro Bowler written all over him. Welker is looking damn fine as well. nice to see a move like that work out so well for both teams.

I had a feeling Welker was going to be Brady's lapdog. He's a lot like Troy Brown, but maybe a little quicker.

I'm glad Satele is working out. The Dolphins need to fix that line before they do anything else.

eric138
10-29-2007, 10:39 AM

That's the great thing about robots, you program them to do a task and they do it without steering off their track.

The Pat's offense and defense have been trained to perform a certain way and they do it the same way from start to finish. If they actually cared about others feelings and changed their game play then they would begin to see mistakes... maybe our team should take note and try to play perfect ball, start to finish.

Corrosion
10-29-2007, 11:18 AM
Did anyone watch last weeks Texans / Titans game ..... the Texans put up 29 points in the 4th quarter and actually taking the lead with 50ish seconds left .Had the Titans kept the pressure on they wouldnt have been in position to lose that game . I have no problem with what the Pats did against the Skins . The game isnt over till the final gun sounds ....

WWJD
10-29-2007, 02:38 PM
The Pats shouldn't be the team with the chip on their shoulder regarding SpyGate...every team they cheated against should be!

Ah I'm torn about running up the score....the Pats obviously do and that's fine...they're capable and they are paid to score.

The faking a knee and throwing a TD is a bit lame but oh well.

Just be prepared to get your own face rubbed in it eventually Bill....karma is a strange thing and they will get theirs. Maybe not this year because they are just that darn good but they'll get rolled somewhere down the road by some coach that remembers...

TexansLucky13
10-29-2007, 02:55 PM
The Pats shouldn't be the team with the chip on their shoulder regarding SpyGate...every team they cheated against should be!

Ah I'm torn about running up the score....the Pats obviously do and that's fine...they're capable and they are paid to score.

Just be prepared to get your own face rubbed in it eventually Bill....karma is a strange thing and they will get theirs. Maybe not this year because they are just that darn good but they'll get rolled somewhere down the road by some coach that remembers...

Posts like this make me wonder if a member of the Patriots team came to your house and kicked your dog or stole your wife. I mean, seriously. It is obvious you hate the team, but why?

How was faking a knee lame? That was pure genius, just like everything else Belichick does. Yes, I agree, karma will catch up to him. It will probably be in the form of another Super Bowl ring. Great coaches make great teams.... and great teams win big games.

kastofsna
10-29-2007, 03:05 PM
lol @ karma. like what, getting blown out somewhere down the road? after he has a fist full of rings? doubt he'll care much.

Vinny
10-29-2007, 03:09 PM

Just be prepared to get your own face rubbed in it eventually Bill....karma is a strange thing and they will get theirs. Maybe not this year because they are just that darn good but they'll get rolled somewhere down the road by some coach that remembers...Bill already got run out of town by the Cleveland Einsteins. He went on to get rich and famous and become the only coach ever to win 3 out of 4 Superbowls. Sucks to be a Pats fan.

kastofsna
10-29-2007, 03:19 PM
yeah, the joke's on him!

TexansSeminole
10-29-2007, 03:29 PM
Belichick: "I remember being on that side. When I was coaching defense it was my job to keep the score down, not theirs. When you're playing defense it's your job to stop them. It's not [the offense's] job to not score. It's like I tell the offense, what the [bleep] do you think I send you guys out there for? To punt? We have a punt team for that. That's not your job. Your job is to go out there and score points. If you come off the field and you haven't scored points you haven't done your job."

I agree 100% with this. Why send the offense onto the field if you don't expect them to score? If the defense can't stop them, that's their problem. They didn't do their job.

Matt Cassel came in and scored a late TD to put the game further out of reach. It's not like Brady was out there the whole time trying to get as many yards and TDs as possible. Who can complain about a team whose second string is so good that it can score points on its own? They should be commended.

I agree too, and I agree with kastofsna...I love Belichick. He has the right idea. The game goes for four quarters.

GoPats
10-29-2007, 04:02 PM

Not all of Belichick's 32 years in the league have been successful. Did it ever occur to you that he's now reaping the good karma he earned by, oh, say, coaching the lame duck year in Cleveland when Modell announced halfway through the season that they were moving the team? Or by going 5-11 in his first year in NE?

All I'm saying is that it hasn't been all roses for this guy. He's worked as hard as anyone to get to where he is.

rmartin65
10-29-2007, 04:47 PM
It is not a classy thing to do. But, these are professionals, and it is the other teams job to stop them.

TexansSeminole
10-29-2007, 05:41 PM

That's funny I thought it was a great call. Moss pushed off though. I don't even think the referees knew what happened until they saw Moss with the ball.

Carr Bombed
10-29-2007, 07:00 PM
I have absolutely zero problems in what the Patriots are doing.....I'm actually enjoying it and hope it continues

The league screwed up when they tried to question Belichick and Brady's greatness, while trying to rub their noses like scolded dogs into the "spygate" dog poo. After this season is over is anybody ever going to question them again without being laughed at?

I also enjoy a dominant team lead by a ruthless head coach who goes for the kill........even if it IS overkill. I would love to have a task master like Belichick coaching the Texans. If the Patriots keep this up (running the score up and all) they have a chance to achieve something beyond just a superbowl win, they have the chance to achieve "all-time" greatness, a team remembered FOREVER.........why should they let their poor oponents feelings get in the way of football immortality?

I love all-time great teams, it's a privledge to watch them operate and I hope the Pats hang 40 points on every team in the league, while saying..."try to stop us".

bah007
10-29-2007, 08:30 PM
This is what happens when the NFL gives the offense every possible advantage over the defense.

At some point, there will be an offensive juggernaut that just cant be stopped.

Carr Bombed
10-29-2007, 08:34 PM
This is what happens when the NFL gives the offense every possible advantage over the defense.

At some point, there will be an offensive juggernaut that just cant be stopped.

That doesn't cover all of it, the Pat's defense has been just as dominant as the offense. In the salary cap age, they are doing what the salary cap was supposed to stop.........buiding a team with no weakness.

WWJD
10-30-2007, 12:35 PM
Posts like this make me wonder if a member of the Patriots team came to your house and kicked your dog or stole your wife. I mean, seriously. It is obvious you hate the team, but why?

How was faking a knee lame? That was pure genius, just like everything else Belichick does. Yes, I agree, karma will catch up to him. It will probably be in the form of another Super Bowl ring. Great coaches make great teams.... and great teams win big games.

Ah hate is a strong word...and the wrong word...I don't like the Pats but I'm not a hater. Just not a fan.

And being that I'm female I have no wife. Or for that matter a dog.

Just expressing my opinion.

WWJD
10-30-2007, 12:37 PM
Not all of Belichick's 32 years in the league have been successful. Did it ever occur to you that he's now reaping the good karma he earned by, oh, say, coaching the lame duck year in Cleveland when Modell announced halfway through the season that they were moving the team? Or by going 5-11 in his first year in NE?

All I'm saying is that it hasn't been all roses for this guy. He's worked as hard as anyone to get to where he is.

No it never occured to me.....I never ever said he wasn't a good coach nor a hard worker.

GoPats
10-31-2007, 12:48 PM
No it never occured to me.....I never ever said he wasn't a good coach nor a hard worker.

Oh I know, and my post wasn't meant to be instigative (is that a word?) or anything... I just mean he's had his share of bad years, too.

WWJD
10-31-2007, 01:09 PM
Oh I know, and my post wasn't meant to be instigative (is that a word?) or anything... I just mean he's had his share of bad years, too.

I'm not sure what that word is but I get your drift....stay in the NFL long enough and you'll have just as many ups as downs....

I think he's a tremendous coach. No doubt about that.

I think the Pats are a tremendous team. No doubt about that.

I'm just not a fan. Never have been, never will be. And running up the score rubs me the wrong way although I see the logic on why it's done...I just don't happen to like it.

:)

GoPats
10-31-2007, 01:45 PM
I'm not sure what that word is but I get your drift....stay in the NFL long enough and you'll have just as many ups as downs....

I think he's a tremendous coach. No doubt about that.

I think the Pats are a tremendous team. No doubt about that.

I'm just not a fan. Never have been, never will be. And running up the score rubs me the wrong way although I see the logic on why it's done...I just don't happen to like it.

:)

I get ya... I'm a Sox fan, too. So I know what you mean by having equal amounts of disklike and respect for an opponent. Especially in pinstripes. :)

(Though that's been going a whole lot better lately.)

TexansLucky13
10-31-2007, 01:48 PM
Ah hate is a strong word...and the wrong word...I don't like the Pats but I'm not a hater. Just not a fan.

And being that I'm female I have no wife. Or for that matter a dog.

Just expressing my opinion.

Well I apologize for making the assumption on both cases.

I just think that guys who get paid millions of dollars should be expected to score every time they have the ball.

WWJD
10-31-2007, 01:56 PM
Well I apologize for making the assumption on both cases.

I just think that guys who get paid millions of dollars should be expected to score every time they have the ball.

I absolutely see the logic....well one thing is for sure. This topic has stirred up many discussions.

WWJD
10-31-2007, 02:03 PM
I get ya... I'm a Sox fan, too. So I know what you mean by having equal amounts of disklike and respect for an opponent. Especially in pinstripes. :)

(Though that's been going a whole lot better lately.)

I think the Pats are by far playing the best football I've seen in years....but this train can be derailed at any point by multiple injuries (the Texans!) and I really think the Colts have a good chance to win the game this weekend.

I'm kind of interested in how a team can go into the defending SB champs home and almost nobody is giving the Colts much of a chance....and they are undefeated as well.

That whole scenerio really must just bug the heck out of the Colts...and I think they'll be ready.

And congrats to the Sox..I am so not a baseball fan but anyway a ring is a ring!

TexansLucky13
10-31-2007, 02:10 PM
I think the Pats are by far playing the best football I've seen in years....but this train can be derailed at any point by multiple injuries (the Texans!) and I really think the Colts have a good chance to win the game this weekend.

I'm kind of interested in how a team can go into the defending SB champs home and almost nobody is giving the Colts much of a chance....and they are undefeated as well.

That whole scenerio really must just bug the heck out of the Colts...and I think they'll be ready.

The Patriots would definitely suffer big time if Brady went down. But would the Colts not suffer just as much if they lost Peyton? You just gotta put that in perspective.

The advantage for the Patriots, though, is that they have great depth on defense, as well as a defensive mastermind in Belichick. When the offense is on the field he can almost always be found talking to his LB's or DB's, with a little whiteboard and marker.

Dungy deserves credit for everything he has done, as well. That Tampa defense he runs works extremely well.... so long as Bob Sanders is healthy.

WWJD
10-31-2007, 02:20 PM
The Patriots would definitely suffer big time if Brady went down. But would the Colts not suffer just as much if they lost Peyton? You just gotta put that in perspective.

The advantage for the Patriots, though, is that they have great depth on defense, as well as a defensive mastermind in Belichick. When the offense is on the field he can almost always be found talking to his LB's or DB's, with a little whiteboard and marker.

Dungy deserves credit for everything he has done, as well. That Tampa defense he runs works extremely well.... so long as Bob Sanders is healthy.

I am not such a huge football fan other than the teams I root for..I have NO idea who the backup QB is on either the Pats or Colts.

And to be honest whenever I've seen Bill on TV during a game he's just standing there scowling. That's all I've seen him do honestly.

I've always admired Coach Dungy. On and off the field.

Joe Texan
10-31-2007, 02:20 PM
Anyone who doesn't want the score run up is a Wuss. This is football and if we beat you 100 to nothing then call Guiness.

TexansLucky13
10-31-2007, 02:25 PM
I am not such a huge football fan other than the teams I root for..I have NO idea who the backup QB is on either the Pats or Colts.

And to be honest whenever I've seen Bill on TV during a game he's just standing there scowling. That's all I've seen him do honestly.

I've always admired Coach Dungy. On and off the field.

Backup for the Patriots is Matt Cassel. Backup for the Colts is Sorgi. Matt isn't great, but he could run the offense. Sorgi has been holding a clipboard for years, and he just signed a three year extension. He knows the offense front and back, but will probably never start a game.

I admire both of the coaches. As a defensively minded guy, I love their philosophies. I loved the Bucs defense and the way it was run by Dungy before he left. I love the way Belichick uses the 3-4 and how he is able to find the perfect players to fit into his schemes.

I have never seen Dungy do anything but stand and watch the field. On multiple occasions I have seen Belichick on the benches with the defense. Maybe I don't watch Dungy as much as I watch Belichick, though. I am obviously partial.

WWJD
10-31-2007, 02:53 PM
I think Peyton runs the Colts offense to some extent...I know he has a coach but I read somewhere where he does have the authority to change the plays as he wishes. Of course who knows if that is accurate or not....it seems that way though just watching him and listening to the announcers say he's changing the play. He seems very, very smart to me as a QB.

Coach Dungy is much like Coach Landry was. I've never seen him do much either but obviously he does. Maybe just quietly!

TexansLucky13
10-31-2007, 03:02 PM
I think Peyton runs the Colts offense to some extent...I know he has a coach but I read somewhere where he does have the authority to change the plays as he wishes. Of course who knows if that is accurate or not....it seems that way though just watching him and listening to the announcers say he's changing the play. He seems very, very smart to me as a QB.

Peyton has exclusive control over the offense. He is the master of the audible. He reads defenses better than anyone in the league. Pre-snap, he is hands down the most dominant player to ever wear pads.

But I still hate the guy.

kastofsna
10-31-2007, 03:03 PM
heard from several Bucs who were coached by Dungy that he never yelled or anything, but he was such a fatherly figure that if you ever did anything wrong, you felt extremely guilty and wanted to correct the problem immediately.

WWJD
10-31-2007, 03:05 PM
heard from several Bucs who were coached by Dungy that he never yelled or anything, but he was such a fatherly figure that if you ever did anything wrong, you felt extremely guilty and wanted to correct the problem immediately.

Very much like Coach Landry then. I still feel very sorry for him regarding his son's suicide.

WWJD
10-31-2007, 03:07 PM
Peyton has exclusive control over the offense. He is the master of the audible. He reads defenses better than anyone in the league. Pre-snap, he is hands down the most dominant player to ever wear pads.

But I still hate the guy.

I think Peyton is pretty funny on some of his commercials! Ha! He's a very talented player. I remember when he was drafted and the Colts and who was it were going round and round over him and Ryan Leaf wasn't it?

Double Barrel
10-31-2007, 03:07 PM
You can't run up the score in the NFL. These guys are paid to produce, so a team is whining because they want to quit while the other team continues to play football for 60 minutes. The offense's job is to score points every time they go out there. Are they supposed to quit?!

35-5 should have taught us that you cannot run up the score in the NFL! Never stop trying!!

HoustonFrog
11-01-2007, 12:07 PM
Well some people are starting to say what many of us have said all along. I think there comes a point in the game where an "Eff You" TD is unnecessary and the Pats have done it by throwing and up by muliple TDs in the closing moments too many times

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/rumors/post/Cowher-Brady-could-be-target-of-cheap-shot?urn=nfl,51840

As the New England Patriots pour it on opponents, fans have to be wondering about it and Tuesday former Pittsburgh Steelers coach Bill Cowher said it: If the Patriots keep running up the score, will someone like Tom Brady be the victim of a retaliatory hit?

The subject of the Pats' late-game tactics is causing a lot of buzz around the NFL, particularly after Sunday's 52-7 victory over the Washington Redskins. On a CBS conference call with reporters Tuesday. Cowher noted the Patriots could be playing a dangerous game.

"At some point if this continues, someone's going to take a cheap shot,'' Cowher said. "Is that worth subjecting your players to if it comes to that?''

Source: Boston Herald

WWJD
11-01-2007, 12:30 PM
And I agree with Coach Cowher. It will happen.

Double Barrel
11-01-2007, 12:34 PM
Manning was doing it against us during his 49 TD season. They had us by the throat late in the 4th and he audibled to a deep pass when 'football etiquette' said to run the clock out.

Why doesn't Manning have a target on his back, too? idonno:

Khari
11-01-2007, 12:35 PM
if u can't stop them, then tough crap......play defense

bah007
11-01-2007, 12:40 PM
Manning was doing it against us during his 49 TD season. They had us by the throat late in the 4th and he audibled to a deep pass when 'football etiquette' said to run the clock out.

He has more commercials.

kastofsna
11-01-2007, 01:08 PM
because the Patriots are doing it far more ruthlessly.

GoPats
11-01-2007, 01:40 PM
This is a media thing. Would you want to be the guy who cheap shots Tom Brady and ends his career? Especially now that it's been called out?

I think that was irresponsible on the part of The Chin, especially since he's only a year removed from the coaching ranks.

I'd also beg anyone who'll do it to go and check the play-by-play on the box score from Sunday. Sorry, but when our backup QB, then our 3rd stringer, make your starting defense look like a CFL team, that's not our problem. That's your problem. Matt Cassel hasn't started a game since high school. Matt Guitierrez came from a Division III school. Brady was out. Maroney was out. The fierce two-headed RB monster of Kyle Eckel and Heath Evans were in the game. What is New England supposed to do? Kneel down three times and punt whenever they have a 30-point lead? And don't tell me, "run it up the gut" because the 'Skins weren't stopping the run, either. Not trying is more disrespectful than running it up, IMO. This isn't boxing where you can score a TKO.

Is Washington that bad? No, they're not, but they quit. They quit at halftime, and never came out to play the second half. If they hadn't quit, maybe it would have been closer.

kastofsna
11-01-2007, 01:41 PM
they got all hyped up to play the pats then got all sulky after the first half and just threw in the towel. reminds me of the Canes under Coker.

TexansLucky13
11-01-2007, 01:42 PM
Is Washington that bad? No, they're not, but they quit. They quit at halftime, and never came out to play the second half. If they hadn't quit, maybe it would have been closer.

Yep. As a Texans fan I have become an expert at identifying a team that has quit and a team that hasn't.

Double Barrel
11-01-2007, 02:14 PM
This is a media thing. Would you want to be the guy who cheap shots Tom Brady and ends his career? Especially now that it's been called out?

I think that was irresponsible on the part of The Chin, especially since he's only a year removed from the coaching ranks.

I'd also beg anyone who'll do it to go and check the play-by-play on the box score from Sunday. Sorry, but when our backup QB, then our 3rd stringer, make your starting defense look like a CFL team, that's not our problem. That's your problem. Matt Cassel hasn't started a game since high school. Matt Guitierrez came from a Division III school. Brady was out. Maroney was out. The fierce two-headed RB monster of Kyle Eckel and Heath Evans were in the game. What is New England supposed to do? Kneel down three times and punt whenever they have a 30-point lead? And don't tell me, "run it up the gut" because the 'Skins weren't stopping the run, either. Not trying is more disrespectful than running it up, IMO. This isn't boxing where you can score a TKO.

Well said. I find it sad that people expect a pro team to quit doing what they do because the other team doesn't feel like playing football for 60 minutes.

If the Oilers had the Pats mentality during 35-5 they probably would have won the Super Bowl that year and we'd all be talking on a Houston Oiler message board right now.

kastofsna
11-01-2007, 02:22 PM
or if the Bills had the Skins mentality.

HoustonFrog
11-01-2007, 04:28 PM

My answer to that would be that is one time compared to about 7 games straight now for the Pats. I can see still scoring up 21 in the 3rd quarter. The NFL is a funny game...us v. Titans....but they are up but 21 in the closing minutes and still piling on. We know they are great. They just need to show come class.

Its a fan thing to. I started saying this weeks ago. Last week is an aberration. They still were throwing every down even if it was Cassel to Gaffney. If they can't stop the run, it is their problem but they way it has gone down this year hasn't been the case. They have had plenty of chances to do it the right way...see SD v us last week...and they don't. At some point you will play another bad team and a guy like Haynesworth will decide to take out your franchise. Not my wish, just what will happen when Coach Hoody keeps ordering "sweep the leg."

Double Barrel
11-01-2007, 06:12 PM
My answer to that would be that is one time compared to about 7 games straight now for the Pats. I can see still scoring up 21 in the 3rd quarter. The NFL is a funny game...us v. Titans....but they are up but 21 in the closing minutes and still piling on. We know they are great. They just need to show come class.

I guess. But what is their offense supposed to do if the opposing defenses quit playing? Just down the ball and punt on 4th? idonno:

These are professionals and I have no problem with the Pats being that much superior than anyone else. They are doing their jobs, doing them well, and it is what it is. They continue to score even with their 2nd team in the game. I would not expect a champion boxer to stop hitting his opponent because of a black eye. The Pats go for a K.O. every time they play.

I suppose 'class' is in the eye of the beholder.

kastofsna
11-01-2007, 10:30 PM
one can also argue that they just want to keep the machine moving at all times, and if they sat their players after getting a huge lead, they'd be sitting their guys at the start of the 2nd half. and it's hard to keep everything consistent when you're playing "seriously" for half a game.

Jewel
11-03-2007, 03:44 PM
BB's put a big cross-hair on Bradys head, its only a matter of time before someone knocks it off!

HoustonFrog
11-04-2007, 12:51 PM
I guess. But what is their offense supposed to do if the opposing defenses quit playing? Just down the ball and punt on 4th? idonno:

These are professionals and I have no problem with the Pats being that much superior than anyone else. They are doing their jobs, doing them well, and it is what it is. They continue to score even with their 2nd team in the game. I would not expect a champion boxer to stop hitting his opponent because of a black eye. The Pats go for a K.O. every time they play.

I suppose 'class' is in the eye of the beholder.

Alot of the times the defenses aren't quitting. If they were diving into the line in the 4th and just getting tDs, well then I agree. But many times they are still in the shotgun and are throwing. It happened in three games straight. That is where you are just rubbing someones face in it. I don't think hurting someone is cool. I've just been saying for weeks that someone won't take an extra TD too kindly and they will take the 2 extra steps and plant Brady and see what Hoody does after that. The K.O. you speak of has already been administered. What we are seeing here is standing over the guy on the mat and throwing one for prosperity sake. That's what people don't get.