PDA

View Full Version : San Diego Game to be played as scheduled

Pages : [1] 2

TexanBacker93
10-22-2007, 02:36 PM
Has anyone heard anything official from the Texans about this coming Sunday's trip to San Diego? Wildfires are forcing evacuations of hundreds of thousands and Qualcomm is listed as an evacuation site. The last time fires hit the area like that the NFL moved the Chargers-Dolphins MNF game to Arizona. I have tickets to go out there and see the game and I'm trying to find out what's happening. Thanks for any information you can pass along.

San Antonio Texan
10-22-2007, 02:52 PM
With the emergency in San Diego, is the city going to move the game?

http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=D8SEEGTO0&show_article=1

Quote: "Qualcomm Stadium, home to the NFL's Chargers, was added to a growing list of evacuation centers."

houstonhurricane
10-22-2007, 02:56 PM
Victory is ours!

Seriously, that is a very dangerous situation and I am glad that they are trying to aid residents in need. I would imagine that they would be able to relocate those that choose to evacuate by the weekend (hopefully they are able to contain the fires by then)...

jaayteetx
10-22-2007, 02:57 PM
Nice, I know my problems are small compared to the people that are losing their homes but dangit, I got plane tickets, hotel and game tickets already and I'm sure the hotel/airline won't hook me up. Fires, GO AWAY!

Brando
10-22-2007, 03:05 PM
I say as bad as the Texans are playing and to even things out, I say move the game to Reliant.:specnatz:

Seriously I hope the fires go away.

NitroGSXR
10-22-2007, 03:09 PM
I say as bad as the Texans are playing and to even things out, I say move the game to Reliant.:specnatz:

Seriously I hope the fires go away.
I say postpone the game for a few days. Let our guys and the evacuees heal up. Kill two birds with one stone.

houstonhurricane
10-22-2007, 03:12 PM
Nice, I know my problems are small compared to the people that are losing their homes but dangit, I got plane tickets, hotel and game tickets already and I'm sure the hotel/airline won't hook me up. Fires, GO AWAY!

Actually, if you explain to the airline that you had to cancel your travel due to a natural disaster, you stand a pretty good chance of getting a credit on their airline...especially if it is Continental.

I still think the game will be played in San Diego...

Silver Oak
10-22-2007, 03:53 PM
Article is mentioning that Qualcomm is being used as an evacuation center due to the wildfires, and that moving the game this Sunday is a possibility, although no NFL sources or team officials have said anything.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d80384a98&template=without-video&confirm=true

Vinny
10-22-2007, 04:35 PM
http://www.houstontexans.com/news/blogs.asp?post_id=227

jaayteetx
10-22-2007, 04:37 PM
Actually, if you explain to the airline that you had to cancel your travel due to a natural disaster, you stand a pretty good chance of getting a credit on their airline...especially if it is Continental.

I still think the game will be played in San Diego...

Ya, I called around and am pretty sure the airline, Southwest, would hook me up. The problem is I got the hotel through hotwire, so I'm basically screwed if they move the game to another city. Not sure how the tickets to the game would be resolved, I imagine they would just hook me up with basically the same seats in the new stadium, right?

texasguy346
10-22-2007, 04:38 PM
I think there was a game a couple years ago where the Chargers were scheduled to play at home against the Cardinals. They ended up moving the game to Arizona because of the fires. If they decide to do that I'm sure we'll hear something soon so that the NFL can sell some tickets.

HOU-TEX
10-22-2007, 04:41 PM
My wife is in San Diego on bidness and she's been keeping me up to date on the happenings there. This morning she said there's alot of smoke/haze, but no local threat as of today. They're saying the blaze should last another 2-3 days minimum. She's getting the heck out of Dodge romorrow.

The fire is expected to burn for another two to three days, he said. Until the blaze is extinguished, "there will literally be thousands of homes that will be threatened at one time or another," he said.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/n/a/2007/10/22/state/n102418D66.DTL

Texan_Bill
10-22-2007, 04:49 PM
My wife is in San Diego on bidness and she's been keeping me up to date on the happenings there. This morning she said there's alot of smoke/haze, but no local threat as of today. They're saying the blaze should last another 2-3 days minimum. She's getting the heck out of Dodge romorrow.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/n/a/2007/10/22/state/n102418D66.DTL

Hope she gets out with no worries.. Keep us posted.

HOU-TEX
10-22-2007, 05:01 PM
Hope she gets out with no worries.. Keep us posted.

Will do, thanks. I just texted her again informing her of the Texans playing there this coming weekend. I asked her if she knew where the stadium was in relation to the fires. I've yet to get a reply. I'll post her response when available. :)

hollywood_texan
10-22-2007, 05:40 PM
Yeah, I got some nice plans and money locked up into this weekend in San Diego.

But, if I gotta bite the dust on that, so be it.

I hope things work out with the people that are really impacted by this situation.

tulexan
10-22-2007, 05:44 PM
The NFL should treat it the same way they did for the Saints - Giants game and make it a home game for the Chargers in Houston. I'm sure if the Chargers were playing the Jets or Giants that is what would happen.

BSofA04
10-22-2007, 06:20 PM
If they decide to keep the game in San Diego, maybe the league will push for a Monday Night double header? The Chargers afterall have lost one practice day due to the fire today. Wishful thinking, I know.

TxDavid
10-22-2007, 07:05 PM
If they decide to keep the game in San Diego, maybe the league will push for a Monday Night double header?

One disaster after another.....

J-Russ
10-22-2007, 07:44 PM
If they decide to keep the game in San Diego, maybe the league will push for a Monday Night double header? The Chargers afterall have lost one practice day due to the fire today. Wishful thinking, I know.

Great Idea!

Let's have the game on ESPN. That way people all over the nation can see us get blown out by the 1st half. Atleast when we weren't on national TV, people thought we were a decent team when we rack up points in garbage time to make it seem like a competitive game.

SoCalTexanFan
10-22-2007, 10:01 PM
Hopefully not because I have tickets to the game. I'm flying back to Cali Sunday morning just to catch the game. Anyone else going to be there?

hollywood_texan
10-22-2007, 10:06 PM
Hopefully not because I have tickets to the game. I'm flying back to Cali Sunday morning just to catch the game. Anyone else going to be there?

I will be there...

SheTexan
10-23-2007, 12:46 AM
10pm news, channel 11 and 13, reported that no definate plans have been made regarding the game. They mentioned a possible 3pm game, a Sunday night game, a Monday night game, and a possible move to Ariz. Covered all their options. They also said that LT and some of the coaches have homes that are being threatened. The Chargers have more important things to worry about than where they are going to play a football game.

Regardless of where, or when, they play, NOTHING takes the place of the hell those poor people are having to endure in Calif. My heart goes out to all of them, and I pray with all my heart those fires will get resolved without loss of life. In times like this, who really cares about a football game.

Mean Machine
10-23-2007, 12:53 AM
Sports Center after MNF tonite said no decision, but they did have Kubes on from his presser and he mentioned Sunday or Monday possibilities

I do wonder if there is ANY possibilty they move it to Reliant?
Anything going on there this Sunday/Monday?
Maybe somebody on the inside can tell us if the grass pallets are still down or have they cleared the field?

valleytexfan
10-23-2007, 01:58 AM
If they do change the time of Texans vs. Chargers, will it still be shown? What happens? I want to see the game!

GuerillaBlack
10-23-2007, 07:30 AM
The Cardinals' stadium is booked this Sunday, so it won't be there.

SheTexan
10-23-2007, 07:58 AM
Maybe a Monday night game in Ariz.

Buffi2
10-23-2007, 08:11 AM
The latest info is here (http://www.azcentral.com/arizonarepublic/sports/articles/1023chargers1023.html)

In a nutshell, the Chargers are flying to Phoenix today to use the Cardinal's practice facility - Arizona has a bye week. The NFL says it is too early to decide about the game but Sunday isn't feasible in Arizona.

I'd like to see it in Reliant myself, but I figure pigs will fly before that happens.

Joe Texan
10-23-2007, 09:11 AM
News this morning mentioned that it might be in Houston, I am getting my ticket now

Silver Oak
10-23-2007, 09:40 AM
High of 74 on Sunday here in Houston so the roof will/could be open.

Move the game here Mr. Goodell!

nunusguy
10-23-2007, 10:21 AM
News this morning mentioned that it might be in Houston, I am getting my ticket now
I'd say very unlikely. Most of the attending fans would be from SoCal, so easier and shorter drive to Phoenix area than Houston. And more like a home-field advantage for the Chargers.
My biggest concern is TV coverage - any TV coverage. How fast can a local
station move to cover for the network if they decide not to cover a Sunday night or Monday night game for competitve reasons ? And are we sure a local station would even be interested ?

TEXANS84
10-23-2007, 11:50 AM
If the Texans-Chargers game is moved to Arizona, Houston coach Gary Kubiak said he heard it could be played Sunday night or Monday night. The Cardinals' stadium, located in Glendale, is scheduled to host a motorcycle show Friday through Sunday.
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3074297

hollywood_texan
10-23-2007, 12:03 PM
They did this a few years ago, and they probably don't wanna do it again.

According to the radio, the weather is suppose to really change today with regard to the wind, which should make the fires very containable by the evening and tomorrow.

They probably don't want to move to Monday Night because that will already compete against another game and possibly the Worlds Series.

I have a hunch it will stay where it is and at the same time unless these fires continue to burn through tomorrow.

The Pencil Neck
10-23-2007, 12:28 PM

I'm flying to LA tomorrow and then my wife is flying in on Saturday and we're planning on going to the game with a co-worker of mine who's a Charger fan.

If they move it to Sun Devil Stadium, we might be able to make it. If they move it to Monday, we're screwed.

DadaCharge
10-23-2007, 12:33 PM
Hey guys, Chargers fan in San Diego here. We know just as little over here as you do regarding the where abouts this game will be played. Our biggest concern is obviously the safety of everyone who is threatened by the fires here.

As far as the Chargers go, they do not want this game to played in Houston. It appears that Arizona is the prefered location if the game had to be moved, and the Chargers are already practicing there. The game could possibly be played in Sun Devil Stadium.

Like the articles read, it is still too early to tell where this game is going to be played. The fires down here have not peaked out yet and will continue to burn strong into today. It probably will not be until tomorrow when the containing process begins, and even that will take a couple days.

I drove past Qualcomm today where the sky was only filled with a light, smokey haze. It is the areas north and south of Qualcomm that are getting it bad. If the winds shift enough to blow smoke over Qualcomm, it would take a couple days for the air quality to improve well enough to host a game. It took roughly 2-3 days for the air to clear after the 2003 fires. More importantly, the evacuees may need to use the stadium for an extended stay. Reports say that moving people back to their homes will be a slow process and there is still much uncertainty as to how things will improve.

As you can see there are a lot of variable factors that will determine where this game will be played. Just thought I would chime in my 2 cents because I know if I were in your shoes, I'd like some insight where ever I could get it. Keep in mind, I'm no expert, just a local. Oh, and it's really nice to see people in this thread show more concern towards the fire than the possiblity of having their invested trip to San Diego ruined.

nunusguy
10-23-2007, 12:44 PM
Thanks for your comments DadaCharge.
And of course, hope you and yours and everyone else out there effected by the fires - Stay Safe !
Good Luck !

The Pencil Neck
10-23-2007, 01:44 PM
As you can see there are a lot of variable factors that will determine where this game will be played. Just thought I would chime in my 2 cents because I know if I were in your shoes, I'd like some insight where ever I could get it. Keep in mind, I'm no expert, just a local. Oh, and it's really nice to see people in this thread show more concern towards the fire than the possiblity of having their invested trip to San Diego ruined.

Hey, man. Welcome to the board.

I used to live in Cali and I know what the fires are like. I was never evacuated but I have had a lot of ash on my house (in Burbank and in Calabasas). I haven't heard if my co-workers in the SD area have had to move but a guy I work with who's in Santa Barbara was evacuated yesterday.

Just stay safe and out of harm's way.

Joe Texan
10-23-2007, 01:45 PM
DadaCharge

Our prayers and wishes for yalls safety is first at hand, If it is here I would be looking foreward to seeing a lot of lightning in the lots before the game. Good luck to all you Texans on your game plans. Hollywood I will see you in Oakland I suppose.

austintexanite
10-23-2007, 02:12 PM
I hope everyone overthere is safe and taking precautions. As the game, I'm not sure but it will probably be moved to ASU.

Spled
10-23-2007, 02:21 PM
I thought they were talking about maybe Monday. That will give Schaub an extra day of rest.

Yankee_In_TX
10-23-2007, 02:21 PM
If they do change the time of Texans vs. Chargers, will it still be shown? What happens? I want to see the game!

we won't know until they decide when and where the game will be played. then they'll work out the details.

powerfuldragon
10-23-2007, 02:25 PM
... why wouldn't it be? tv cameras are relatively portable.

Texan_Bill
10-23-2007, 02:33 PM
All I know is that the league owes it to the Chargers and their fans to work out the logistics - quickly. It's not nerely a big deal to the Texans or us as fans, although I would like to know where and when I can watch the game.

If the game winds up in Tempe, let the people of SoCal know now, so those who can, can get their tickets and arrangements worked out as soon as possible..

Heck cancel the game if necessary due to the circumstances if need, be, but do it quickly and decisively...

TexansLucky13
10-23-2007, 02:37 PM
Heck cancel the game if necessary due to the circumstances if need, be, but do it quickly and decisively...

Yes.... cancel this game... please....

:tease:

jaayteetx
10-23-2007, 02:55 PM
I hope everyone overthere is safe and taking precautions. As the game, I'm not sure but it will probably be moved to ASU.

That would suck, I'd prefer a Monday night game at the new stadium. Its a big stadium at ASU, but it is a college stadium.

Texan_Bill
10-23-2007, 02:57 PM
Yes.... cancel this game... please....

:tease:

Feeling a bit skiddish?!?! :whistle:

hollywood_texan
10-23-2007, 02:58 PM
All I know is that the league owes it to the Chargers and their fans to work out the logistics - quickly. It's not nerely a big deal to the Texans or us as fans, although I would like to know where and when I can watch the game.

If the game winds up in Tempe, let the people of SoCal know now, so those who can, can get their tickets and arrangements worked out as soon as possible..

There is still time for this situation to improve so the game is played as scheduled.

A college game is scheduled for Saturday and it would look foolish if that game was played but the NFL cancels it's game.

The next 24 hours or so is the key.

From what I hear on the radio here in LA, the weather is going to be very helpful in getting these fires under control rapidly.

Then it is a matter of air quality and people displaced staying at the stadium.

Thorn
10-23-2007, 03:00 PM
If this game still starts at noon, I'll be listening to it driving back from Lufkin this Sunday. It would be nice if they switched to an afternoon or evening game so I could watch.

hollywood_texan
10-23-2007, 03:03 PM
Hollywood I will see you in Oakland I suppose.

Yeah, I'll be there following the same drill as last time.

I have your number some where. If I don't track you down sooner, I am planning on swinging by that same tailgate spot.

Looking forward to it!

hollywood_texan
10-23-2007, 03:05 PM
If this game still starts at noon, I'll be listening to it driving back from Lufkin this Sunday. It would be nice if they switched to an afternoon or evening game so I could watch.

The game is scheduled to start at 3 p.m. Central time.

Noon games, what you guys like to call them, is 10 a.m. here in California. Try tailgating for that one!

If the game goes as schedule, you can listen at 3 p.m. Central time, or 1 p.m. Pacific time (perfect for tailgating, that extra hour is nice).

Class is now out of session...

Thorn
10-23-2007, 03:09 PM
The game is scheduled to start at 3 p.m. Central time.

Excellent. I should be back in Houston by 3PM. Thanks!

Texan_Bill
10-23-2007, 03:12 PM
There is still time for this situation to improve so the game is played as scheduled.

A college game is scheduled for Saturday and it would look foolish if that game was played but the NFL cancels it's game.

The next 24 hours or so is the key.

From what I hear on the radio here in LA, the weather is going to be very helpful in getting these fires under control rapidly.

Then it is a matter of air quality and people displaced staying at the stadium.

I've heard that about the potential for the situation improving, but there has got to be a deadline to make the call. Whether its 24 hours from now - whatever, but the game is scheduled to kick-off in 121 hours... Not that much time when you think about it that way...

Hopefully the weather helps, not for the sake of the game, but for those that are at risk of losing everything and the improvement of the air quality.. Some may remember the fires in Mexico that made our lives miserable for a few days and that sucked.

jaayteetx
10-23-2007, 03:34 PM
Anybody know what would happen to people that hold tickets to the game in San Diego if they move it somewhere else? Would they give you comparable seats in the other stadium or offer you a refund? I know this happened last year, anybody know what they did then?

The Pencil Neck
10-23-2007, 04:25 PM
Adam Schefter just said that it was possible the game could be moved to:

1. Sun Devil Stadium
2. LA Memorial Coloseum
3. Texas Stadium

Right now, I'm not sure I'm going to fly to LA. I'm waiting to hear where the game is going to be played.

Texan_Bill
10-23-2007, 04:30 PM
Adam Schefter just said that it was possible the game could be moved to:

1. Sun Devil Stadium
2. LA Memorial Coloseum
3. Texas Stadium

Right now, I'm not sure I'm going to fly to LA. I'm waiting to hear where the game is going to be played.

Tempe: is what I have been hearing.
LA: That possibility doesn't surprise me in the slightest.
Texas Stadium: That did come as a surprise.

Whats scheduled at Reliant this week. It seems to me like if there were no committments it would make sense to play the game here, and swith during the next rotation with San Diego...

houstonhurricane
10-23-2007, 04:54 PM
Texas Stadium? That makes absolutely no sense...

Power Surge
10-23-2007, 05:28 PM
Game will not be played in San Diego, Trust, i live here, its not gona happen, Game in Houston? thats crazy talk, maybe AZ... but Angels stadium or the LA Coliseum would be great...

TEXANS84
10-23-2007, 05:44 PM
790 reported a decision from the NFL tomorrow morning.

Texan_Bill
10-23-2007, 05:50 PM
Game will not be played in San Diego, Trust, i live here, its not gona happen, Game in Houston? thats crazy talk, maybe AZ... but Angels stadium or the LA Coliseum would be great...

Askeered??!?! No, seriously it would only be the third meeting between the two teams with one game previously at each place... Whats the big deal?! Just switch it up in two years when they play again... Reliant Stadium could be NFL game ready before anything in LA could be. Don't worry we'd let y'all wear your 'home' jerseys... I know that I heard, the Cardinals new Stadium would be ruled out because of a previous commitment, so the game would have to be at Sun Devil Stadium in Tempe.

Vinny
10-23-2007, 05:53 PM
Askeered??!?! No, seriously it would only be the third meeting between the two teams with one game previously at each place... Whats the big deal?! Just switch it up in two years when they play again... Reliant Stadium could be NFL game ready before anything in LA could be. Don't worry we'd let y'all wear your 'home' jerseys... I know that I heard, the Cardinals new Stadium would be ruled out because of a previous commitment, so the game would have to be at Sun Devil Stadium in Tempe.
Turn the tables and are fans would be crying about losing a home game. It makes more sense to play it in LA where their fans are a short drive away.

HOU-TEX
10-23-2007, 05:54 PM
IMO, the game could be played on Uranus and the outcome would still be the same. :gun:

Texan_Bill
10-23-2007, 06:13 PM
Turn the tables and are fans would be crying about losing a home game. It makes more sense to play it in LA where their fans are a short drive away.

Understood, I was having fun with our Chargers guest. Even Phoenix would make more sense than here.

In all seriousness though, my thoughts are with the folks who are affected by this and a football game is secondary in comparison (although in Texas, not by much).

Texan_Bill
10-23-2007, 06:13 PM
IMO, the game could be played on Uranus and the outcome would still be the same. :gun:

Leave the Titans out of this.... :splits:

Power Surge
10-23-2007, 06:17 PM

its not that, look at our ticket prices, you might be able to buy a bathroom stall seat for about $150, lol nose bleeds are like $200 for the worst games, people have paid major money to see our team and the ticket prices have been rediculous since 2004. we have plenty of stadiums in southern california, hell... play it in staples center lol

Texan_Bill
10-23-2007, 06:21 PM
its not that, look at our ticket prices, you might be able to buy a bathroom stall seat for about $150, lol nose bleeds are like $200 for the worst games, people have paid major money to see our team and the ticket prices have been rediculous since 2004. we have plenty of stadiums in southern california, hell... play it in staples center lol

Just curious, although related; with those kind of ticket prices are y'all ever going to get a new stadium?? I know that Jack Murphy, errrr Qualcomm is the nicest of the old multi-purpose stadiums built in the '60's, but with the Padres getting their new digs, I thought the Chargers were working on getting a new stadium as well.... Whats the latest??

Joe Texan
10-23-2007, 07:04 PM
200 for nose bleed must be California supply and demand, What do you expect when a man will buy a 2 bedroom 1600 square foot house for 1.2 million dollars. I feel for you Bolt heads but the price gauging in California is criminal.

Again I will say I hope the best for yall with the tragedy taking place right now. I would open my home to fans from there if the game was played here.

junior
10-23-2007, 07:26 PM
i hope that its played in glendale so we can finally play on monday night because the way we are playing we will never earn the right.

and the l.a. coliseum is never good, its an awful place to watch football.

The Pencil Neck
10-23-2007, 07:35 PM
I've canceled my flight. So, I'm not going now.

DadaCharge
10-23-2007, 08:02 PM

Second that. Very minimal chance the game is played in San Diego. Rumor has it that an announcement will be made tomorrow (Wednesday).

hollywood_texan
10-23-2007, 08:07 PM
Yeah, the game isn't going to happen in San Diego this weekend.

I live and work in Hollywood, and you can see the smoke haze now.

It was clear blue skies earlier.

spurstexanstros
10-23-2007, 08:14 PM
According to rumors floating around City Hall today, the city has been contacted by the NFL as a possible site for the game. Due to the success the city has had in past emergencies. San Antonio is the most logical site in Texas that is a "neutral site". Also, it has the hotel capacity for any fans or family of the Chargers and it would be a draw for the local Texans fans and those from Houston.

I do not know how official these rumors are. People that I know at city hall , remebered that i was a Texans fan and thought I might be interested

DadaCharge
10-23-2007, 08:14 PM
Yeah, the game isn't going to happen in San Diego this weekend.

I live and work in Hollywood, and you can see the smoke haze now.

It was clear blue skies earlier.

Just read that weather conditions are not expected to improve until Thursday which means a whole nother day of out of control fires to come Wednesday. This is by far the worst fire in California's history.

TEXANS84
10-23-2007, 08:32 PM
I say play it at the Coliseum in LA.

GuerillaBlack
10-23-2007, 10:11 PM
According to rumors floating around City Hall today, the city has been contacted by the NFL as a possible site for the game. Due to the success the city has had in past emergencies. San Antonio is the most logical site in Texas that is a "neutral site". Also, it has the hotel capacity for any fans or family of the Chargers and it would be a draw for the local Texans fans and those from Houston.

I do not know how official these rumors are. People that I know at city hall , remebered that i was a Texans fan and thought I might be interested

I doubt it. SA is going to spin this as another way to get an NFL team (like with New Orleans). There are always rumors like this.

Leahmic223
10-23-2007, 10:53 PM

I don't know how they figure San Antonio is a neutral site, I guess there are more cowgirl fans(im not really sure), but any body in Houston that wants to go can surely make the trip.

ArlingtonTexan
10-24-2007, 12:42 AM
I don't know how they figure San Antonio is a neutral site, I guess there are more cowgirl fans(im not really sure), but any body in Houston that wants to go can surely make the trip.

In terms of fan interest, anywhere outside of Houston proper is darn near nuetral. See the television coverage threads in the tailgate forum.

brakos82
10-24-2007, 12:48 AM
Maybe we could play in the Astrodome :splits:

Okay. Yeah right.

I wouldn't mind seeing them move the game to wherever the Raiders or Rams played when they were in LA. :shades:

dtran04
10-24-2007, 01:08 AM

I highly doubt it but it would be awesome for me. My school is like 5 min away from Alamodome.

BSofA04
10-24-2007, 02:45 AM

Sounds good to me, saves me some gas money. However, this obviously would screw the bolt fans pretty bad. But it would be sweet to see the Texans in the Alamodome.

TEXANS84
10-24-2007, 09:02 AM
So I heard on the radio this morning now the two locations are:

Arizona
Reliant Stadium

Hmmm...

GlassHalfFull
10-24-2007, 09:27 AM
The Chronicle headline reads:
Calif. fires may push Texans-Chargers to Houston

Then the first sentence reads:

Although the University of Phoenix Stadium in suburban Glendale, Ariz., appears the most likely place for this weekend's game between the Texans and San Diego Chargers, NFL commissioner Roger Goodell created a stir at the league meetings on Tuesday when he mentioned San Diego, Los Angeles and "Texas" as possibilities.

Pause for a second while I show my continuing disgust for misleading headlines/articles by the Chronicle :brickwall:

Sorry for the interuption. You may continue the thread.

nunusguy
10-24-2007, 09:59 AM
In terms of fan interest, anywhere outside of Houston proper is darn near nuetral. See the television coverage threads in the tailgate forum.
Its brutal, but its true. Six years out and the teams support surely must be at an all-time low ? McNair has nobody to blame but himself for some of the recent opportunites to elevate the teams popularity, electing instead to ignore those opportunities in the interests of being loyal to the doomed
Christian/family-oriented QB and fielding a team with not even the slightest blemish in the character department.
His best chance, and its probably a real long one anyway, of getting the Chargers-Texans game here is offering a Katrina-like magnanimous gesture
where he'd donate, after operating expenses, all revenues from the game to the SoCal fire victims.

Errant Hothy
10-24-2007, 10:04 AM
Personally I'd love it if they moved the game to Dallas...but thats just because I could go the game.

TexanSam
10-24-2007, 11:13 AM
If they moved the game to Arizona on Monday Night, would ESPN be covering it or would CBS still do the game with it's schedule broadcasters?

Buffi2
10-24-2007, 11:31 AM
I heard if the game was played in Arizona, it wouldn't start until 9:30 our time - now I find that inconvenient at best. I'm still voting for Reliant.

Leahmic223
10-24-2007, 12:05 PM
If they moved the game to Arizona on Monday Night, would ESPN be covering it or would CBS still do the game with it's schedule broadcasters?

I am interested in this as well. Could we finally get a Monday Night Game and would ESPN pick it up as their second game and move the Pack/Denver game a hour and a half up?

Tailgate
10-24-2007, 12:14 PM
So I heard on the radio this morning now the two locations are:

Arizona
Reliant Stadium

Hmmm...

On 790 they had on a local San Diego sports personality who said he thinks that Dallas is sounding more and more likely that its going to be the spot.

TEXANS84
10-24-2007, 12:16 PM
On 790 they had on a local San Diego sports personality who said he thinks that Dallas is sounding more and more likely that its going to be the spot.

Yeah, 790 last night said Arizona and Reliant, now saying possible Dallas.

Personally, they should play the game in LA. Close drive for those in San Diego, plus you could pack up the Coliseum.

Brando
10-24-2007, 12:19 PM

Personally, they should play the game in LA. Close drive for those in San Diego, plus you could pack up the Coliseum.

I agree. It would be interesting if the game was played in Dallas though. Will any of texanstalk.com board members go?

Tailgate
10-24-2007, 12:19 PM

Sounds logical to me.

If the game is played in Dallas. I wonder if any local Dallas peeps would come out and support the Texans? I always hear how we hate Dallas, yet most Dallas fans support Texas teams after the Cowboys.

powerfuldragon
10-24-2007, 12:26 PM

i don't want the texans to play in the porcelain palace... they'll contract all kinds of hepatitis and a residual crack high.

nunusguy
10-24-2007, 12:28 PM
Sounds logical to me.

If the game is played in Dallas. I wonder if any local Dallas peeps would come out and support the Texans? I always hear how we hate Dallas, yet most Dallas fans support Texas teams after the Cowboys.
And Texans fans should probably return the favor and support the Cowboys
as their second team if state loyalty is important to them, but usually doesn't
work that way because of the insecurity factor.

HOU-TEX
10-24-2007, 12:29 PM
i don't want the texans to play in the porcelain palace... they'll contract all kinds of hepatitis and a residual crack high.

Why not? The way they've been playing lately, they'd fit right in the toilet bowl.:gun:

Texans Pride
10-24-2007, 12:50 PM
i vote for denver colorado!!!!

Tailgate
10-24-2007, 12:59 PM
And Texans fans should probably return the favor and support the Cowboys
as their second team if state loyalty is important to them, but usually doesn't
work that way because of the insecurity factor.

Lets see how it all pans out first before we go assuming any of that is even true.

powerfuldragon
10-24-2007, 01:04 PM
Why not? The way they've been playing lately, they'd fit right in the toilet bowl.:gun:
while it's true that the Texans play of late can only be described as ***tty, i don't want them to have anything to do with the cowboys. and if they do play in that wasteland called Irving, people will inevitably try and describe the game as being essentially a home game. insulting.

ubecool454
10-24-2007, 01:04 PM

I VOTE FOR HOUSTON TEXAS....THEY DID HAVE RELIANT AS ONE OF THOSE CHOICES. OR HOW ABOUT SAN ANTONIO IF THE ALAMODOME IS FREE

Brando
10-24-2007, 01:05 PM

Why not? We are Broncos South.:)

Brando
10-24-2007, 01:07 PM
I VOTE FOR HOUSTON TEXAS....THEY DID HAVE RELIANT AS ONE OF THOSE CHOICES.

He was joking since he lives in Colorado.....

ubecool454
10-24-2007, 01:09 PM
He was joking since he lives in Colorado.....

yeah i know he was, but I would just have it in houston...i just hope if they do they let me have my regular seats.:splits:

ubecool454
10-24-2007, 01:16 PM
Personally I'd love it if they moved the game to Dallas...but thats just because I could go the game.

If they move it to dallas they might as well bring it to houston. Its looking like it will be AZ on monday

ubecool454
10-24-2007, 01:21 PM
I am interested in this as well. Could we finally get a Monday Night Game and would ESPN pick it up as their second game and move the Pack/Denver game a hour and a half up?

Hate to say it but that would be the reason they wouldn't want it in houston. The NFL is anti houston..they don't want us getting a monday night game. Hell, they didn't even want us to have a team:shades:

ubecool454
10-24-2007, 01:23 PM

I think USC plays at home this weekend. Doubt if they could get that turf right in a day.

hollywood_texan
10-24-2007, 01:30 PM

They wouldn't move up the Denver game, they are already an hour behind Houston. You would be screwing the fans going to that game.

The game is scheduled to start at 6:30 Denver time, that would mean 5:00 in Denver because of a fire in SoCal so a low rating team like the Texans can be on prime time? I don't think so.

hollywood_texan
10-24-2007, 01:31 PM
I think USC plays at home this weekend. Doubt if they could get that turf right in a day.

I don't think playing two games in two days is going to cause problems with the turf.

The field is used only for USC games that I know of, so it should be in execellent condition to handle two days of use.

tulexan
10-24-2007, 01:36 PM

Does UCLA?

hollywood_texan
10-24-2007, 01:43 PM
Does UCLA?

I believe the Rose Bowl is operated by some old fuddy duddies that are big snobs (meaning some rich snobs that have nothing but time on their hands to plan a parade on New Years Day), which is why it is probably not even being considered.

Even though it is really old and lacking amenties of today, a beautiful stadium and a great area.

texanskan
10-24-2007, 01:46 PM
the article has been posted for a while on chron.com

option #1 is to play the game in San Diego on Monday night (the nfl needs to know asap if that can happen)

option #2 Texas Stadium
option #3 Reliant

LA and Arizona are no longer options

threetoedpete
If they move it to dallas they might as well bring it to houston. Its looking like it will be AZ on monday

Houston has always had a good walk up crowd. I doubt that anyone in Az or Dallas would step up for the game.

So sorry for the folks losing their homes & memoreis to this monster.

610 guy mentioned that they May just stay on the WC if they have the game in Az. I think having it in LA would be a disater.

Maddict5
They wouldn't move up the Denver game, they are already an hour behind Houston. You would be screwing the fans going to that game.

The game is scheduled to start at 6:30 Denver time, that would mean 5:00 in Denver because of a fire in SoCal so a low rating team like the Texans can be on prime time? I don't think so.

but the chargers arent a low rating team :doot: fingers crossed

hollywood_texan
10-24-2007, 01:49 PM
but the chargers arent a low rating team :doot: fingers crossed

You wanna move up the old man Brett Favre and give him the bump?

I don't think so...

This game is going to be worked around other things, not the other way around...

hollywood_texan
10-24-2007, 01:50 PM
Houston has always had a good walk up crowd.

Houston couldn't keep a crowd with the Titans last weekend!

The last place they probably want to play this game is Houston, particularly on a Monday Night!

Tailgate
10-24-2007, 01:57 PM

The last place they probably want to play this game is Houston, particularly on a Monday Night!

Actually its the FIRST place they would want the game considering it would bring the largest gate outside of San Diego itself. But the Chargers obviously do not want to concede a home game to the Texans.... with good reason.

Leahmic223
10-24-2007, 02:02 PM

I'm pretty sure Houston would sell tickets, what is stopping them from making Houston the spot is it would take away the Chargers Home game. As for we couldn't keep a crowd...we sold it out, its not like no one showed up or no one cared.

Houston is a big Market. That's why we have a team in almost every pro-league. A pro-team in all the Major leagues.

As for moving up the Denver game for Houston...I guess they won't do it, but they also don't want to make the Houston-San Diego game unwatchable. They are also going against Baseball that night and already moved it up 30 minutes because of the world series(according to NFL.com) and they probably would move it up another 30 minutes if the Houston game is moved to Monday. Look at the first MNF game, the first game was started earlier so that the second game could start at a reasonalbe time in San Fran.

hollywood_texan
10-24-2007, 02:07 PM
Actually its the FIRST place they would want the game considering it would bring the largest gate outside of San Diego itself. But the Chargers obviously do not want to concede a home game to the Texans.... with good reason.

I wouldn't be so sure about that.

One time game in LA at the Coliseum?

At this moment, the last thing I would bank on is a walk up gate from Houston Texan fans against a top tier team in the AFC.

They'll probably move this to Monday Night in San Diego.

Yankee_In_TX
10-24-2007, 02:13 PM
I'm confused on the Monday in SD - something is magically going to happen in 24 hours such that the game can be played there?

I want the game here!!!!

Tailgate
I wouldn't be so sure about that.

One time game in LA at the Coliseum?

At this moment, the last thing I would bank on is a walk up gate from Houston Texan fans against a top tier team in the AFC.

They'll probably move this to Monday Night in San Diego.

I am absolutely sure on that. The ONLY city outside of SD with as close or the same vested interest in THIS game is the city of Houston. PERIOD. LA had a hard enough time getting fans to watch their own team.... but two from different cities? It may be a decent turnout.. but its common sense that outside of SD, Houston (yes, the other team playing) would bring the largest gate.

SD on Monday night or Dallas are most likely from what I am hearing. Again, San Diego does NOT want to give up a home game to the Texans.

hollywood_texan
I'm pretty sure Houston would sell tickets, what is stopping them from making Houston the spot is it would take away the Chargers Home game. As for we couldn't keep a crowd...we sold it out, its not like no one showed up or no one cared.

The Chargers are probably not concerned about home field advantage. Very rarely is it an issue at Reliant for an opposing team.

The chargers probably don't want to deal with the ticket situation with regular season ticket holders. That is just a mess all the way around and an administrative nightmare.

Houston is a big Market. That's why we have a team in almost every pro-league. A pro-team in all the Major leagues.
It's fickle support. Probably the last thing Bob McNair wants on prime time TV is a less than half full stadium on Monday Night. It would be embarrassing. You really think that many people are going to rearrange their schedules on a few days notice for a team that is getting knocked around and is playing a top tier team?

As for moving up the Denver game for Houston...I guess they won't do it, but they also don't want to make the Houston-San Diego game unwatchable. They are also going against Baseball that night and already moved it up 30 minutes because of the world series(according to NFL.com) and they probably would move it up another 30 minutes if the Houston game is moved to Monday. Look at the first MNF game, the first game was started earlier so that the second game could start at a reasonalbe time in San Fran.

San Diego is 3 hours behind the East Coast. They play the game on Monday Night in San Diego (if possible) and start it around 7:30 or 8:00. That's probably the best solution considering this horrible situation...

Tailgate
10-24-2007, 02:15 PM
The Chargers are probably not concerned about home field advantage. Very rarely is it an issue at Reliant for an opposing team.

The chargers probably don't want to deal with the ticket situation with regular season ticket holders. That is just a mess all the way around and an administrative nightmare.

It's fickle support. Probably the last thing Bob McNair wants on prime time TV is a less than half full stadium on Monday Night. It would be embarrassing. You really think that many people are going to rearrange their schedules on a few days notice for a team that is getting knocked around and is playing a top tier team?

San Diego is 3 hours behind the East Coast. They play the game on Monday Night in San Diego (if possible) and start it around 7:30 or 8:00. That's probably the best solution considering this horrible situation...

Huh??? Bob McNair is very much campaigning to have this game in Houston. And who says it would be on prime time? And yes, considering that Houston would bring the largest Gate outside of SD, they are very much concerned of giving a home game to the Texans. I heard it on the radio this morning from a Charger radio personality on 790.

hollywood_texan
10-24-2007, 02:16 PM
I am absolutely sure on that. The ONLY city outside of SD with as close or the same vested interest in THIS game is the city of Houston. PERIOD. LA had a hard enough time getting fans to watch their own team.... but two from different cities? It may be a decent turnout.. but its common sense that outside of SD, Houston (yes, the other team playing) would bring the largest gate.

SD on Monday night or Dallas are most likely from what I am hearing. Again, San Diego does NOT want to give up a home game to the Texans.

There are a lot of Charger season ticket holders in LA. A lot of people from San Diego that live in LA.

You are discounting that way too much considering how the Texans are playing and that fan support wanes badly when the team gets kicked around.

You are banking on Texan fan support that isn't there. With that in mind, home field isn't really the issue.

Honestly, I think it would be embarrasing.

Tailgate
10-24-2007, 02:19 PM
There are a lot of Charger season ticket holders in LA. A lot of people from San Diego that live in LA.

You are discounting that way too much considering how the Texans are playing and that fan support wanes badly when the team gets kicked around.

You are banking on Texan fan support that isn't there. With that in mind, home field isn't really the issue.

Honestly, I think it would be embarrasing.

You are way off on this imo. The reasons I have state are the REASONS WHY we are not getting the game. And embarrassing? These are not normal circumstances anyway.

hollywood_texan
10-24-2007, 02:21 PM
Huh??? Bob McNair is very much campaigning to have this game in Houston. And who says it would be on prime time?

If it's in Houston, it probably is played at noon (CST) in Houston. Some people in this thread are clamoring for a Monday Night game. However, given the Chargers have lost some days to prepare for this game, maybe it is moved to Monday Night if played in Houston?

Bottom line, I think it would be embarrasing to have the game in Houston, no matter what day. People are going to be taking interest in that game and the stadium will be probably be half full.

As for Bob McNair wanting the game, his football decisions are suspect in my opinion.

How can I say this, look at last week and the attendance!

People are not going to rearrange their schedules on short notice for a team that is playing as poorly as the Texans.

Tailgate
10-24-2007, 02:23 PM
If it's in Houston, it probably is played at noon (CST) in Houston. Some people in this thread are clamoring for a Monday Night game. However, given the Chargers have lost some days to prepare for this game, maybe it is moved to Monday Night if played in Houston?

Bottom line, I think it would be embarrasing to have the game in Houston, no matter what day. People are going to be taking interest in that game and the stadium will be probably be half full.

As for Bob McNair wanting the game, his football decisions are suspect in my opinion.

How can I say this, look at last week and the attendance!

People are not going to rearrange their schedules on short notice for a team that is playing as poorly as the Texans.

Your argument has taken a step back by bringing up last week and the attendance. Did you not see the stadium full in the first half? I was there and the seats... while late in arrival, were full. Now... when we were down by 25 points in the 4th quarter... thats when everyone left. Now I ask you, what does people leaving in what seemed to be a blow out loss have to do with a BRAND NEW zero to zero score? They are two different animals.

hollywood_texan
You are way off on this imo. The reasons I have state are the REASONS WHY we are not getting the game. And embarrassing? These are not normal circumstances anyway.

The Chargers are probably more concerned about traveling to Houston and being away from their famalies than home field advantage to the Texans if played in Houston.

This is a TCB game for the Chargers.

Tailgate
The Chargers are probably more concerned about traveling to Houston and being away from their famalies than home field advantage to the Texans if played in Houston.

This is a TCB game for the Chargers.

The Chargers are already out of the state and have traveled to Arizona.

Leahmic223

Its a issue if people care.

Fickle? We've sold out every game its not fickle, the support for this team is very stable. Also Mcnair said himself that he is confident that he could sell most if not all the tickets in 3 days. How many people? Its not like Houston isn't populated or something. As history has shown, it doesn't matter how we are doing or who we are playing, people will come because its a large market.

I really find it odd that you think our fan support is poor...yet through 5 years of sucking we've sold out every game.

San Diego is not in any shape to play the game right now, and most likely the decision will be made tommorow.

hollywood_texan
10-24-2007, 02:25 PM
Your argument has taken a step back by bringing up last week and the attendance. Did you not see the stadium full in the first half? I was there and the seats... while late in arrival, were full. Now... when we were down by 25 points in the 4th quarter... thats when everyone left. Now I ask you, what does people leaving in what seemed to be a blow out loss have to do with a BRAND NEW zero to zero score? They are two different animals.

The Texans were playing the Titans, who have Vince Young.

You are gambling that this game be well received with it being scheduled on short notice.

It isn't money in the bank with regard to attendance.

Tailgate
10-24-2007, 02:26 PM

You are gambling on this game be well received that is being scheduled on short notice.

And? When is the last time we have not sold out???

And when speaking of the money....when COMPARED to anywhere else it is. Take a step back, and think about it. What city OTHER than San Diego has the most vested interest in this game? Its quite simple.

hollywood_texan
10-24-2007, 02:28 PM

Selling out season tickets to PSL owners is completely different from a spur of the moment game.

It's amazing the games are all sell outs and the people don't show up!

I am PSL owner, and I will be very upset if they force me to purchase my seats for this game. I live in LA and can't make the game. To make matters worse, already have nice seats for the game this Sunday in San Diego. Talk about getting double screwed here...

Errant Hothy
10-24-2007, 02:29 PM

And when speaking of the money....when COMPARED to anywhere else it is. Take a step back, and think about it. What city OTHER than San Diego has the most vested interest in this game? Its quite simple.

It's not about money at this point.

Where ever the game is played the money generated by ticket sales will more then likely be given to a charity/the American Red Cross.

The game will not be in Houston, espically after all the bad presss the NFL got for having the Saints play a home game against the Giants in New York.

ATX
Could they just move it to Europe? Why not a double header?

houstonhurricane

You are gambling that this game be well received with it being scheduled on short notice.

This game would sell out in Houston in a heartbeat; that being said, I don't think it should be played here. It is a San Diego home game and they should, at a minimum, have the game played at a neutral-site on Monday.

If there is even a glimmer of hope that they could play in San Diego on Monday night, then they should hold out to one more day to see if it can become a reality.

Tailgate
10-24-2007, 02:30 PM
Selling out season tickets to PSL owners is completely different from a spur of the moment game.

It's amazing the games are all sell outs and the people don't show up!

lol... I have ALREADY addressed this. Its spur of the moment for ANYWHERE they put the game on besides SD.

Baga21
10-24-2007, 02:30 PM
Wherever this game is played, even in Houston, the tickets will most likely NOT be full priced.

This game will have no problem being a sell out here in Houston, period.

Why? 5 years of sell out games is why... A visit by the San Diego Chargers is why.... Maybe a chance to help out the victims of the fires is why (assuming ticket donations are in order)...

although personally, I don't think the game is coming here.

Leahmic223
10-24-2007, 02:32 PM

Where ever the game is played the money generated by ticket sales will more then likely be given to a charity/the American Red Cross.

The game will not be in Houston, espically after all the bad presss the NFL got for having the Saints play a home game against the Giants in New York.

I don't see it moving here for that reason and that reason only. Not because we fail to support the Texans. That's silly.

Tailgate
10-24-2007, 02:33 PM

I am not saying it will be in Houston. I seriously doubt it will. I'm just debating on what he said about Mr. McNair not wanting the game, being embarrassed, not bringing in a large gate, etc. The game will not be in Houston, for mainly the reasons I have stated. Chargers dont want us to have a home game, etc.

In regards to the money.... NFL clubs have insurance for cases like these. I believe they are guaranteed a certain amount... but anything over is considered icing. Please don't quote me on that. Regardless... lets just use the charity case... the more money to donate.. THE BETTER. Right?

Errant Hothy
10-24-2007, 02:34 PM
Dallas is the nearest NFL stadium not in use that Sunday, and I don't think game will be moved to Monday, NFL will not want to compete with itself and possible a WS game as well.

Tailgate
10-24-2007, 02:36 PM
Dallas is the nearest NFL stadium not in use that Sunday, and I don't think game will be moved to Monday, NFL will not want to compete with itself and possible a WS game as well.

I am thinking Dallas as well. I would think a decision would be made by today?????

texanfan2002114
10-24-2007, 02:41 PM
I am thinking Dallas as well. I would think a decision would be made by today?????

I just got off the phone with the Texans and they sound busy as hell. The young lady I spoke to said that a destination for the game has not been decided yet but if it was here in Houston, season ticket holders would be given the 1st chance to buy their seats before they go on sell to the public.

Also she said that they are expecting to hear from the NFL this afternoon on where and when the game will be played.

Texan_Bill
10-24-2007, 02:43 PM
I talked to a girl that I used to date (who tailgated with me a few weeks ago) that now lives in Orange County (Newport Beach) and she can see smoke and such from where she lives. Jim Rome talked about being able to see flames and smoke from near his house.

At this point, the game should not be played in California - period..

Tailgate
10-24-2007, 02:46 PM
I just got off the phone with the Texans and they sound busy as hell. The young lady I spoke to said that a destination for the game has not been decided yet but if it was here in Houston, season ticket holders would be given the 1st chance to buy their seats before they go on sell to the public.

Also she said that they are expecting to hear from the NFL this afternoon on where and when the game will be played.

Thanks for the info!

texanfan2002114
10-24-2007, 02:46 PM
I talked to a girl that I used to date (who tailgated with me a few weeks ago) that now lives in Orange County (Newport Beach) and she can see smoke and such from where she lives. Jim Rome talked about being able to see flames and smoke from near his house.

At this point, the game should not be played in California - period..

I agree 100%!! My brother who is a Marine says LA is just as bad as San Diego.

hollywood_texan
10-24-2007, 03:01 PM
My point is this, selling this game out through charity at reduced prices is very different from selling out a regular season game.

People plan for these games weeks, if not months in advance. I really don't see Houston fans rearranging their schedules to see a mediocre team at best play a top tier team in the AFC.

Season ticket holders spend enough money and time, asking for another weekend it a bit much on short notice given the current state of affairs.

So, that means the normal crowd probably isn't going be there in full force, which isn't a full house anyway.

Expecting Reliant Stadium to be rocking is bit a much when it doesn't even happen for a game scheduled months in advance.

That is why I think it would be embarrassing. Everyone will want to see some part of this game, and the stadium more than likely, will be half full with luke warm fan support.

Not to mention the home team getting pounded into the ground is a very good possibility.

I think it is a bad idea to play the game in Houston from Bob McNair's perspective.

Tailgate
10-24-2007, 03:04 PM
From the San Diego Union-Tribune:
http://www.signonsandiego.com/sports/chargers/20071024-9999-1s24chargers.html

The Chargers expect to hear today from Mayor Jerry Sanders whether they can play their scheduled game against the Houston Texans in Qualcomm Stadium, and they are narrowing down contingencies for playing elsewhere.

The game could be played at Houston's Reliant Stadium. That would likely guarantee a big gate, but the Chargers are concerned about the competitive disadvantage in making the Texans the home team and “would like to avoid” playing there.

It appears likely the Chargers will end up playing in Texas Stadium, home of the Dallas Cowboys, if they can't play at home, sources said last night. The Cowboys have a bye Sunday.

Dallas makes sense because the game would likely draw more fans than would a game in Arizona, which would ease the financial losses the Chargers will incur. Also, the Chargers would count on the fact LaDainian Tomlinson is from Waco and went to school at nearby TCU, as well as Dallas fans' acrimony for Houston, to ensure the crowd is not pro-Texans.

The game could also be played Monday night, though there are several factors that would complicate that. Monday is the date of the fifth game of the World Series, there is already a scheduled Monday night game on ESPN, and CBS would have to alter its plans to show the game in at least San Diego and Houston.

disaacks3
10-24-2007, 03:07 PM
How can I say this, look at last week and the attendance! How can WE say this so that you'll understand. Last weeks attendance both paid AND actual was outstanding! People leave games early when their team is getting blown out...period.

What looks good on TV means far less to the NFL than TV share does. Gate revenue is a distant second.

Texan_Bill
10-24-2007, 03:08 PM
The game could be played at Houston's Reliant Stadium. That would likely guarantee a big gate, but the Chargers are concerned about the competitive disadvantage in making the Texans the home team and “would like to avoid” playing there.

Okay.... Rice Stadium??!?!

texanfan2002114
10-24-2007, 03:09 PM
My point is this, selling this game out through charity at reduced prices is very different from selling out a regular season game.

People plan for these games weeks, if not months in advance. I really don't see Houston fans rearranging their schedules to see a mediocre team at best play a top tier team in the AFC.

Season ticket holders spend enough money and time, asking for another weekend it a bit much on short notice given the current state of affairs.

So, that means the normal crowd probably isn't going be there in full force, which isn't a full house anyway.

Expecting Reliant Stadium to be rocking is bit a much when it doesn't even happen for a game scheduled months in advance.

That is why I think it would be embarrassing. Everyone will want to see some part of this game, and the stadium more than likely, will be half full with luke warm fan support.

Not to mention the home team getting pounded into the ground is a very good possibility.

I think it is a bad idea to play the game in Houston from Bob McNair's perspective.

I don't know about you, but I would LOVE for the game to be here in Houston and I can pretty much say with a 99.5% that I spend more on my tickets and my tailgating than you do.

I also feel the game would do better here in Houston than it would in Dallas or AZ. Nobody in Dallas want the Texans in their stadium. My wife is up there right now for business and they are tearing up the sports radio with having the chance that they would have to watch the Texans as their AFC game because it would be their regional game.

HOU-TEX
10-24-2007, 03:09 PM
Okay.... Rice Stadium??!?!

Nah, how about "The Rig" in Pearland. :shades:

Errant Hothy
10-24-2007, 03:11 PM
I don't know about you, but I would LOVE for the game to be here in Houston and I can pretty much say with a 99.5% that I spend more on my tickets and my tailgating than you do.

I also feel the game would do better here in Houston than it would in Dallas or AZ. Nobody in Dallas want the Texans in their stadium. My wife is up there right now for business and they are tearing up the sports radio with having the chance that they would have to watch the Texans as their AFC game because it would be their regional game.

The game will not be in Houston due to the nasty fall out from moving the Saints V Gaints game to New York after Katrina. I think that most of us even bashed the NFL for giving the Giants an extra home game.

hollywood_texan
10-24-2007, 03:12 PM
How can WE say this so that you'll understand. Last weeks attendance both paid AND actual was outstanding! People leave games early when their team is getting blown out...period.

What looks good on TV means far less to the NFL than TV share does. Gate revenue is a distant second.

Paying for season tickets and for one game weeks, if not months in advance is one thing. This is a spur of the moment thing.

The Texans are playing very poorly and the fan base is not enthastic. that is a fact!

They'll probably sell thing out, but by a few individuals buying tickets for some charity thing.

I don't think you are going to see the normal home crowd, which doesn't pack it in anyway and support the team unconditionally.

You guys act like this is some huge surprise Christmas present. The fan base gets eight of these games every year, and the support is not that high for the ones scheduled months in advance! How is this any different?

Leahmic223
10-24-2007, 03:15 PM
Paying for season tickets and for one game weeks, if not months in advance is one thing. This is a spur of the moment thing.

The Texans are playing very poorly and the fan base is not enthastic. that is a fact!

They'll probably sell thing out, but by a few individuals buying tickets for some charity thing.

I don't think you are going to see the normal home crowd, which doesn't pack it in anyway and support the team unconditionally.

You guys act like this is some huge surprise Christmas present. The fan base gets eight of these games every year, and the support is not that high for the ones scheduled months in advance!

Lol don't support the team unconditionally...we've sold it out 5 years straight and counting and have never had a winning season. Do you not know that? People will show up because games still have meaning right now, and people have been showing up.

texanfan2002114
10-24-2007, 03:16 PM
The game will not be in Houston due to the nasty fall out from moving the Saints V Gaints game to New York after Katrina. I think that most of us even bashed the NFL for giving the Giants an extra home game.

You say that like you know with 100% conviction, but the young lady I spoke to at the Texans didn't sound like you. She gave me the feeling that the game had more of a chance being played there than elsewhere.

Tailgate
10-24-2007, 03:16 PM

You guys act like this is some huge surprise Christmas present. The fan base gets eight of these games every year, and the support is not that high for the ones scheduled months in advance!

You said it. They would probably sell the thing out. Even if it lacks the total feel of a home game,etc....who cares if it isn't totally like a normal home crowd. THESE ARE NOT NORMAL CIRCUMSTANCES. Yet, it would still be BETTER than anywhere else but San Diego. That is the whole point!

Who cares anyway.... San Diego does NOT want the game in Houston because they do not want to give us the extra added home field advantage.

hollywood_texan
10-24-2007, 03:17 PM

You are one person.

I am season ticket holder since 2002 and live in LA. I get to go to about 2 home games a year and go to several road games. So, if you wanna question my intensity as a Texan fan, you are barking up the wrong tree. Maybe you spend more money... What does that mean anyway????

I have very nice seats, and sometimes I have a hard time giving them away!

Why are people going to be more exicted this game than any other regular season game considering how this team is playing? And the game is on short notice...

Texan_Bill
10-24-2007, 03:18 PM
1) My point is this, selling this game out through charity at reduced prices is very different from selling out a regular season game.

2) People plan for these games weeks, if not months in advance. I really don't see Houston fans rearranging their schedules to see a mediocre team at best play a top tier team in the AFC.

3) Season ticket holders spend enough money and time, asking for another weekend it a bit much on short notice given the current state of affairs.

4) So, that means the normal crowd probably isn't going be there in full force, which isn't a full house anyway.

5) Expecting Reliant Stadium to be rocking is bit a much when it doesn't even happen for a game scheduled months in advance.

6) That is why I think it would be embarrassing. Everyone will want to see some part of this game, and the stadium more than likely, will be half full with luke warm fan support.

7) Not to mention the home team getting pounded into the ground is a very good possibility.

8) I think it is a bad idea to play the game in Houston from Bob McNair's perspective.

1) whatever revenue that is generated will be better than nothing.
2) a) you underestimate football fans here, and b) While the Texans may be mediocre, so to are the Chargers at 3-3.
3) I know exactly what I spend every year, and if asked to come up with an extre $175.00 (which is reg. price) for an impromptu game, I would in a heart beat..
4) Whatever the attendance would be at Reliant on a moments notice would far exceed a game in Dallas, Pheonix and more than likely LA...
5) I know you have been to some games, but I'm not sure which where the crowd wasn't rocking - unless the game was out of reach... But until that point, I know Reliant is loud..
6) Again, you underestimate the core fan base. It would be far from luke warm AND even if the stadium was not full, it still would be way more than Pheonix or Dallas would draw..
7) Well, I guess we shouldn't play the games than... I mean upsets 'never' happen.. :rolleyes:
8) No matter how wrong your opinion is, you are entitled to it...

texanfan2002114
10-24-2007, 03:19 PM

You guys act like this is some huge surprise Christmas present. The fan base gets eight of these games every year, and the support is not that high for the ones scheduled months in advance! How is this any different?

Dude you are crazy and just looking to stir things up. Fans in Houston may come into the stadium slowly but this city loves the team and will show up if the game is here.

hollywood_texan
10-24-2007, 03:20 PM
You said it. They would probably sell the thing out. Even if it lacks the total feel of a home game,etc....who cares if it isn't totally like a normal home crowd. THESE ARE NOT NORMAL CIRCUMSTANCES. Yet, it would still be BETTER than anywhere else but San Diego. That is the whole point!

Who cares anyway.... San Diego does NOT want the game in Houston because they do not want to give us the extra added home field advantage.

Look, you talk of this like it a slam dunk.

It isn't.

Also, it could be embarrasing regarding the fan support.

In addition, I am sure there are some San Diego player and fans that could find better spot than Houston!

You are talking in absolutes.

Tailgate
10-24-2007, 03:21 PM
Dude you are crazy and just looking to stir things up. Fans in Houston may come into the stadium slowly but this city loves the team and will show up if the game is here.

Hell yeah I would be there! I am starting to think this guy is simply upset that the game may not be played in Cali now.

Texan_Bill

If that were true, I bet Joe could find someone to use them - I know I can find someone.. Heck, I'm sure a lot of people in Blue Crew could help unload them for you...

Errant Hothy
The last place San Diego wants to play is Houston, and if the NFL lets them pick between Dallas and Houston the game will be in Dallas.

Texan_Bill
10-24-2007, 03:22 PM
Nah, how about "The Rig" in Pearland. :shades:

Nice!!!

Anybody catch that Cy-Falls v. Cy-Fair game on ESPN2 last week.. Berry or Barry Stadium looks beautiful...

Tailgate
10-24-2007, 03:23 PM
Look, you talk of this like it a slam dunk.

It isn't.

Also, it could be embarrasing regarding the fan support.

In addition, I am sure there are some San Diego player and fans that could find better spot than Houston!

You are talking in absolutes.

lol... I AM??? And what exactly are you talking in? I am merely repeating what the Texans organization and the San Diego organizations are talking about. McNair has stated several times he thinks we could sell out in 3 days. The article I posted stated that the Chargers want to avoid a home game advantage by the Texans.

texanfan2002114
10-24-2007, 03:26 PM
You are one person.

I am season ticket holder since 2002 and live in LA. I get to go to about 2 home games a year and go to several road games. So, if you wanna question my intensity as a Texan fan, you are barking up the wrong tree. Maybe you spend more money... What does that mean anyway????

Why are people going to be more exicted this game than any other regular season game considering how this team is playing? And the game is on short notice...

I have been a PSL holder since 2002. You want to say and have been saying that the fans in Houston would not show up to a game on a short notice, how in the hell do you know?? You come to only 2 games a year!! Just because you have had a hard time giving away your seats, you are going to base how the fans who live in this city are.

Maybe if you had better seats then you wouldn't have a problem giving your seats away, or maybe you need to give them to people who care about football. I have a friend who lives in another state who owns season tickets and can only make it to a couple of games a year. He has already sold his tickets to several games this year that he won't be able to make it to and made enough money to pay for his tickets next year and his seats are in the lower bowl between the 20's.

So that enough of that crap about fans not caring. If your trying to give tickets away during christmas or new years games and families are going out out of town, then I understand it being hard tp give them away.

Next time you have trouble giving your tickets away, send them to me and I will find a fan who can't pay the money to get in and I am sure they will have a great time!!!!!

MeLoveTexans
10-24-2007, 03:29 PM
Say the game does come to Reliant. I wonder what they will do before the game. Will they have the usual Toro beating up on the opposing mascot, Show the bulls on the big screen running over chargers to AC/DC's thunderstruck, or introduce the Texans with the flames and smoke machinese like usual???

Or because its supposed to be the chargers home game, do y'all think they will leave that stuff out. And what about when the texans get a first down? Will they do the cheer, and the Pep Band? there is just a bunch of questions running through my mind about this.

Tailgate
10-24-2007, 03:30 PM
Say the game does come to Reliant. I wonder what they will do before the game. Will they have the usual Toro beating up on the opposing mascot, Show the bulls on the big screen running over chargers to AC/DC's thunderstruck, or introduce the Texans with the flames and smoke machinese like usual???

Or because its supposed to be the chargers home game, do y'all think they will leave that stuff out. And what about when the texans get a first down? Will they do the cheer, and the Pep Band? there is just a bunch of questions running through my mind about this.

Who cares... according to Hollywood Texan, no one is going to be there anyway.

Texan_Bill
10-24-2007, 03:31 PM
Too bad this situation doesn't involve the Padres... Cause I know John J. Moores would vote to move it to Houston in a heartbeat..

MeLoveTexans
10-24-2007, 03:31 PM
I will be for sure!

Texan_Bill
10-24-2007, 03:36 PM

They're all pretty good questions. I would say no to the introductions with smoke et al. The fans (if any showed up :rolleyes:) would do the "first down" thing on their own, but I doubt the announcer would prompt it..

In short, it would be like the Conference USA championship game at Robertson last season.. It was treated as a neutral site, althought the crowd was 99% Coogs fans...

Yankee_In_TX
10-24-2007, 03:36 PM
2:30 Wednesday, no decision yet?

Texan_Bill
10-24-2007, 03:38 PM

The league is cutting their own throat... Someone needs to make a decision and live with it... PERIOD, for the sake of both teams and fans..

Tailgate
10-24-2007, 03:38 PM

Decisions up to the Mayor of SD... only noon thirty there. But yes, make a decision already! :bat:

HOU-TEX
10-24-2007, 03:42 PM
Nice!!!

Anybody catch that Cy-Falls v. Cy-Fair game on ESPN2 last week.. Berry or Barry Stadium looks beautiful...

Actually I did watch some of it. I agree, that stadium is, by far, better than "The Rig". It was a good game too.:)

Yankee_In_TX
10-24-2007, 03:44 PM
Decisions up to the Mayor of SD... only noon thirty there. But yes, make a decision already! :bat:

Bwah, umm, yes. Let's schedule a meeting to form a committee to review....

hollywood_texan
10-24-2007, 03:48 PM
If that were true, I bet Joe could find someone to use them - I know I can find someone.. Heck, I'm sure a lot of people in Blue Crew could help unload them for you...

It is true!

Funny the things you doubt...

But the charity days are over...

Besides, I usually don't give things away to people unless they are a friend first. I like to be generous, but it is important for me to believe it is appreciated and respected.

texanskan
10-24-2007, 03:49 PM
The league is cutting their own throat... Someone needs to make a decision and live with it... PERIOD, for the sake of both teams and fans..

it's no big deal to me, either I'll watch the Texans Monday in San Diego or I'll drive up to little d and watch them Sunday

hollywood_texan
10-24-2007, 03:50 PM
I have been a PSL holder since 2002. You want to say and have been saying that the fans in Houston would not show up to a game on a short notice, how in the hell do you know?? You come to only 2 games a year!! Just because you have had a hard time giving away your seats, you are going to base how the fans who live in this city are.

Maybe if you had better seats then you wouldn't have a problem giving your seats away, or maybe you need to give them to people who care about football. I have a friend who lives in another state who owns season tickets and can only make it to a couple of games a year. He has already sold his tickets to several games this year that he won't be able to make it to and made enough money to pay for his tickets next year and his seats are in the lower bowl between the 20's.

So that enough of that crap about fans not caring. If your trying to give tickets away during christmas or new years games and families are going out out of town, then I understand it being hard tp give them away.

Next time you have trouble giving your tickets away, send them to me and I will find a fan who can't pay the money to get in and I am sure they will have a great time!!!!!

I have lived in Houston. It is just my opinion that this is not guarantee this game would be well received.

My seats are 3 rows from the field next to the Bull Pen and on the aisle.

Why would I give tickets away to you anyway? I don't even know you!

You have great way of asking for it. You called me crazy and question my loyalty as a Texan fan. Like I would want to give anything away to you...

No thank you...

texanfan2002114
10-24-2007, 03:51 PM

Wife just called them and they said they should hear something by 5pm and if its here in Houston, then season ticket holders would be able buy their tickets tomorrow and then the tickets would go on sale to the public friday morning.

Texan_Bill
10-24-2007, 03:54 PM
it's no big deal to me, either I'll watch the Texans Monday in San Diego or I'll drive up to little d and watch them Sunday

True... True.... But the location for adult beverages may be impacted.

Texan_Bill
10-24-2007, 04:00 PM
It is true!

Funny the things you doubt...

But the charity days are over...

Besides, I usually don't give things away to people unless they are a friend first. I like to be generous, but it is important for me to believe it is appreciated and respected.

I dont doubt.. I just suggested that maybe you had other avenues.

I wouldn't suggest you give them away for nothing.

I hear you with the appreciation and respect. I have a few people that wont be attending anymore games (at least on my tickets) for that very reason...

texanfan2002114
10-24-2007, 04:03 PM
I have lived in Houston. It is just my opinion that this is not guarantee this game would be well received.

My seats are 3 rows from the field next to the Bull Pen and on the aisle.

Why would I give tickets away to you anyway? I don't even know you!

You have great way of asking for it. You called me crazy and question my loyalty as a Texan fan. Like I would want to give anything away to you...

No thank you...

Dude, I was being a smart a-s-s. I don't want your tickets but I don't want to hear you whine that you couldn't give your tickets away because you give them to friends, well then I guess you don't have a lot of friends if you are having trouble giving them away.

texanfan2002114
10-24-2007, 04:04 PM
According to sports radio 610, the game will be played either in Houston or Dallas. Both sites in AZ have been ruled out and San Diego is fixing to be ruled out.

Errant Hothy
10-24-2007, 04:07 PM
According to sports radio 610, the game will be played either in Houston or Dallas. Both sites in AZ have been ruled out and San Diego is fixing to be ruled out.

That means Dallas for all intents and purposes.

hollywood_texan
10-24-2007, 04:08 PM
Dude, I was being a smart a-s-s. I don't want your tickets but I don't want to hear you whine that you couldn't give your tickets away because you give them to friends, well then I guess you don't have a lot of friends if you are having trouble giving them away.

I am not whinning about it.

It's that experience that helps me derive the opinion you guys are calling me crazy about.

If you look at the context of how it was written, there was no whinning involved.

Look, I love my seats (I don't mind paying for them!), I love going back to Houston to go to Reliant, I love watching/listening to Texans games, I buy more Texans stuff than I should, it goes on and on...

But, I am a realist about the current state of the fan base to fill up Reliant Stadium and have a strong crowd on a game that is very short notice for team that is playing very poorly and just lost a typical fashion Houston choke game not less than a week ago.

Texan_Bill
10-24-2007, 04:12 PM
That means Dallas for all intents and purposes.

YUP....

The Toilet Bowl.

Errant Hothy
10-24-2007, 04:13 PM
YUP....

The Toilet Bowl.

I ain't going to complain as it'll mean that I can go to the game. :devilpig:

Speedy
10-24-2007, 04:14 PM
Well, if they do move it here, MEMO TO F.O. give season ticket holders at least 36, 48 hours or so to purchase tickets where they sit. After that deadline you can release them to the public. I don't want to miss my first ever Texans game at Reliant because this season ticket holder can't get a ticket in time.

Texan_Bill
10-24-2007, 04:15 PM
I ain't going to complain as it'll mean that I can go to the game. :devilpig:

NICE!!! Enjoy it!!

*starts figuring out how to pull off the roady*

GuerillaBlack
10-24-2007, 04:41 PM
I think a SNF game is a high possibility since there is no SNF game this week. It also looks like Dallas (Irving) is a high possibility. Would they change the field?

WWJD
10-24-2007, 04:41 PM
If the Chargers have any say in this I cannot imagine them agreeing to play the game in Houston.

tulexan
10-24-2007, 04:45 PM
If the Chargers have any say in this I cannot imagine them agreeing to play the game in Houston.

Didn't stop the NFL from having the Saints play a "home game" in New York against the Giants.

Errant Hothy
10-24-2007, 04:50 PM
Didn't stop the NFL from having the Saints play a "home game" in New York against the Giants.

And look at the amount of criticism that move generated.

TEXANSTAILGATER
10-24-2007, 04:51 PM
I would choose SA bfore Dallas. Dallas fans ain't coming out to see Hou or SD.

SA would jump on it as it would be like the ATL v. NO game they had.

Having it here is the best way to make some $$$. Afterall...

a) If SD the bad arses they think they are, whats the prob?

b) If its all about the $$$ they will still get the home team cut.

Errant Hothy
10-24-2007, 04:52 PM
I would choose SA bfore Dallas. Dallas fans ain't coming out to see Hou or SD.

SA would jump on it as it would be like the ATL v. NO game they had.

Having it here is the best way to make some $$$. Afterall...

a) If SD the bad arses they think they are, whats the prob?

b) If its all about the $$$ they will still get the home team cut.

SA does NOT have an NFL facility.

Remember that the NFL installed HD cameras in all the stadiums for instant replay. There is not a comprable set-up in the Alamo Bowl.

Andrew6
10-24-2007, 04:53 PM
if its in houston or dallas or SA can we buy tickets?

J-Russ
10-24-2007, 05:05 PM
Sources: Chargers To Play Sunday's Home Game At Texas Stadium

San Diego Union-Tribune - The Chargers expect to hear on Wednesday from Mayor Jerry Sanders whether they can play their scheduled game against the Houston Texans in Qualcomm Stadium, and they are narrowing down contingencies for playing elsewhere.

“The Chargers are working closely with Mayor Sanders and the fire and police departments to determine how best to deal with Sunday's scheduled NFL game at Qualcomm Stadium,” the team said in a statement. “Protecting the public safety is the mayor's top goal, and the Chargers will continue to cooperate with the mayor to achieve this goal.”

The Chargers arrived here last night for three days of practice in clean air in preparation for the game, wherever it is.

“Tell us where, and then under tough circumstances we'll go from there,” General Manager A.J. Smith said.

It appears likely the Chargers will end up playing in Texas Stadium, home of the Dallas Cowboys, if they can't play at home, sources said last night. The Cowboys have a bye Sunday.

link: http://www.realgmfootball.com/src_wiretap_archives/6218/20071024/sources_chargers_to_play_sundays_home_game_at_texa s_stadium/

EDIT: Already been posted by tailgate, sorry.

GuerillaBlack
10-24-2007, 05:07 PM
So Sunday Night then?

HWY95
10-24-2007, 05:08 PM
I wonder if they will sell ticks for less than what they go for if it is in TX? So they will sell more ticks? Commish is saying there is more money in it for Spanos if Chargers play in Houston....and Spanos only cares about money

I wish we were playing here at the Q, Raiders had a hard time with all the noise we brought. But we gotta what we gotta do.

Spled
10-24-2007, 05:17 PM
At least it's not in Austin. They would root for the Chargers.

TEXANS84
10-24-2007, 05:25 PM
DECISION ON TEXANS-CHARGERS GAME COMING THURSDAY

A decision will be made on Thursday as to whether the Chargers will play their Week Eight home game in San Diego or in Dallas, according to the San Diego Union-Tribune.

The call as to whether the game will stay at Qualcomm Stadium will be made by San Diego mayor Jerry Sanders. The venue currently is being used as a shelter for persons displaced by the fires in the area.

Other issues that could work against keeping the game in San Diego include air quality and the availability of police and firefighters.

Texas Stadium is regarded as a viable alternative because Chargers running back LaDainian Tomlinson is a native of Waco, and because the Dallas residents don't like the Houston Texans. Though the Union-Tribune suggests that financial losses would be lower if the game is played in Dallas than if it is played in Arizona, admission to the last Chargers game forced to Arizona by fire was free, with patrons solicited to make donations for the relief efforts. It's unknown whether there would be a charge imposed to see the Texans-Chargers game on Sunday.

The Union-Tribune points out that the Chargers have insurance to protect against the losses from moving the game, but that the deductible is high.

The Chargers don't want to play the game in Houston, because it would give the Texans a home-field advantage. In 2005, the NFL moved a game between the Giants and the Saints to the Meadowlands after Hurricane Katrina ravaged New Orleans.

http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm

Tailgate
10-24-2007, 05:28 PM
http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm

Cutting it close. But I can understand why...they obviously are giving it every chance to play this game at home.

SheTexan
10-24-2007, 05:36 PM
I hope they play as close to SD as possible. The Chargers deserve it, as well as the fans.

Just the thought of having to go to that pig sty in Dallas makes me want to puke!! BUT, if given the chance, I will be there. I'll be sure to take lots of antibacterial soap with me!!:)

rockabilly
10-24-2007, 05:39 PM
I asked local tv station who is supposed to show the game, what would happen TV wise - this is the response i just received.

"Due to the fires in Southern California, the NFL is still undecided on the time or venue for the Texans/Chargers game that is scheduled to be played in San Diego this Sunday. NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell said the options include playing the game in Los Angeles, at Arizona State's Sun Devil Stadium -- the Cardinals' former home -- at Texas Stadium in Dallas or Reliant Stadium, the Texans' home field.

We will not know about the scheduling of this game until some time tomorrow….There’s a chance the game could be scheduled in the evening on Sunday or Monday….if that’s the case, then we will move all Texas stations to the Indianapolis/Carolina game at 12 noon on Sunday and you will not have a late game that day…."

threetoedpete
10-25-2007, 03:26 AM
Texas Stadium? That makes absolutely no sense...

They want to keep it in an NFL venue. Something about the HDTV. Also, the Chargers were prety adimate about giving up the home feild advantage for the game. As of tonight AS is reporting that the two Stadiums are Texas stadium and Relaint. Sherriff Rodger is letting the local mayor make the call as to whether or not they can keep the game in SD. Dallas represents a nuetral sight. they'll take a bath on the tickets though. If it ain't got a star on the helmit, Dallas don't go.

Not to be flipant, be a great PR for SW or American airlines to line up the planes at the SD airport and ship in the Bolts fans at a 100 bucks a head. I don't know how the seating chart would workout but shipping in 30 k Bolts fans would give them enough of an edge. 'Course if your dreams are blowin in ashes in the wind, the last thing you're thinking about is hopping a plane for a ball game.

If the SD mayor is a Dem, he'll have to check with Dirty Harry to get a call on what he should do. Whatever makes it look like the fire is Bush's fault, that's the way he'll go.

houstonhurricane
10-25-2007, 08:02 AM
Three,

Your SW promotional idea is absolutely brilliant. Don't know if it is logistically possible, but it is a great idea.

I am beginning to think that they might be able to play the game in SD on Monday. It seems as if many of those that had to evacuate are beginning to head home. I don't think they could make it by Sunday, but Monday night might give them enough time to ensure everyone can safely get home...

Yankee_In_TX
10-25-2007, 09:40 AM
I would quote myself, but don't know what page it was on - is Monday in SD being kicked around? I would be willing to bet the NFL would rather move the game than have to play it Monday.

Also, if Monday in SD, why not Sunday in SD?

Errant Hothy
10-25-2007, 09:45 AM
I would quote myself, but don't know what page it was on - is Monday in SD being kicked around? I would be willing to bet the NFL would rather move the game than have to play it Monday.

Also, if Monday in SD, why not Sunday in SD?

I don't think Monday is an option for a few reasons a) there is already a MNF game of course b) Game 5 of the WS, if needed, will be on Monday, and c) CBS would have to shuffle it's primetime line-up, which would mean refunds to advertisers.

I think the game will be on Sunday.

Yankee_In_TX
10-25-2007, 10:16 AM
I don't think Monday is an option for a few reasons a) there is already a MNF game of course b) Game 5 of the WS, if neededm will be on Monday, and c) CBS would have to shuffle it's primetime line-up, whioch would mean refunds to advertisers.

I think the game will be on Sunday.

I agree, but I keep seeing "Monday in SD" in this thread.

Andrew6
10-25-2007, 10:22 AM
I agree, but I keep seeing "Monday in SD" in this thread.

It'd be cool if they did a Monday night game. I could actually go to it then. Shift work sucks.

Texan_Bill
10-25-2007, 10:23 AM
I do too, and still hear it on the radio.... I'm with Yankee, if the game could be played in SD Monday, why not Sunday?? One day wont make that big of a difference given the magnitued of everything going on out there... The Mayor, Spanos and Goddell are shooting themselves in the foot by avoiding making a decision... Make it, live with it and move on.

houstonhurricane
10-25-2007, 10:42 AM
I do too, and still hear it on the radio.... I'm with Yankee, if the game could be played in SD Monday, why not Sunday?? One day wont make that big of a difference given the magnitued of everything going on out there... The Mayor, Spanos and Goddell are shooting themselves in the foot by avoiding making a decision... Make it, live with it and move on.

There are a few issues that I could see make Monday a better option IF they were to play in SD: 1) another day to clear out the remaining residents who evacuated to the stadium - and then ready the facility for the game; 2) another day to ensure that air quality is clearing up; and 3) ensure that they can find enough law enforcement personnel to assist with gameday activities...

Texan_Bill
10-25-2007, 11:08 AM
There are a few issues that I could see make Monday a better option IF they were to play in SD: 1) another day to clear out the remaining residents who evacuated to the stadium - and then ready the facility for the game; 2) another day to ensure that air quality is clearing up; and 3) ensure that they can find enough law enforcement personnel to assist with gameday activities...

That would all make sense if they were any closer to actually putting the fires out...

houstonhurricane
10-25-2007, 11:25 AM
That would all make sense if they were any closer to actually putting the fires out...

With the winds shifting and increased manpower heading into the area, it appears that they are making great strides as the number of folks staying at the stadium has dramatically decreased. They are also expecting some rainfall in the next few days, which would be a huge boost.

Texan_Bill
10-25-2007, 11:32 AM
With the winds shifting and increased manpower heading into the area, it appears that they are making great strides as the number of folks staying at the stadium has dramatically decreased. They are also expecting some rainfall in the next few days, which would be a huge boost.

Understand all of that... Here's the deal, it's Thursday. The game is scheduled to kick-off in 76 1/2 hours (if Monday - 100 1/2 hours). That's not a whole lot of time, especially when there are variables such as 'they are expecting rain in the next few days', 'winds shifting', etc....

Sunday v. Monday isn't even my main point, making a decision is the most important thing. The Chargers AND Texans deserve to be told where and when the game will be played... NOW.

spurstexanstros
10-25-2007, 11:57 AM
I just got word, fom my buddies that it will most likely not be in San Antonio because of prior agreement with someonelse for that day.

I think that is BS though. There is nothing going on there this Sunday. I think that agreement was the one they signed with Jerry Jones to get camp here.

Again that guy costs us here in SA. But from hearing the reports it would probably stay out west. It would look bad for the Chargers to come here because they have been rumored to be using SA as a bargaining chip to get a new stadium. I hate being used.

Where ever they play lets hope they can win. It would be great to be at .500 at the half way mark.

Errant Hothy
10-25-2007, 12:09 PM
I just got word, fom my buddies that it will most likely not be in San Antonio because of prior agreement with someonelse for that day.

I think that is BS though. There is nothing going on there this Sunday. I think that agreement was the one they signed with Jerry Jones to get camp here.

Again that guy costs us here in SA. But from hearing the reports it would probably stay out west. It would look bad for the Chargers to come here because they have been rumored to be using SA as a bargaining chip to get a new stadium. I hate being used.

Where ever they play lets hope they can win. It would be great to be at .500 at the half way mark.

The game would NEVER have been in SA because the Alamo Dome is not an NFL ready facility. The NFL spent alot of meoney this off season to get HD equipment in all of it's venues for instant reply. Same reason the game would never have been moved to LA.

The options are SD, Dallas or Houston.

Texan_Bill
10-25-2007, 12:10 PM
I agree with Hoth. Plus on the NFLN or BSPN, they never mentioned SA as even a remote possibility.

Brando
10-25-2007, 12:14 PM
Understand all of that... Here's the deal, it's Thursday. The game is scheduled to kick-off in 76 1/2 hours (if Monday - 100 1/2 hours). That's not a whole lot of time, especially when there are variables such as 'they are expecting rain in the next few days', 'winds shifting', etc....

Sunday v. Monday isn't even my main point, making a decision is the most important thing. The Chargers AND Texans deserve to be told where and when the game will be played... NOW.

Exactly if the NFL requires you to have a sell out for the game to be televised locally they need to have it in place by the 72 hour black out rule. Would they make an exception in this case?

Errant Hothy
10-25-2007, 12:20 PM
Exactly if the NFL requires you to have a sell out for the game to be televised locally they need to have it in place by the 72 hour black out rule. Would they make an exception in this case?

I would hope so (in regards to the black out rule).

Getting the poeple out of the evacuation centers isn't just about the fires. They need somewhere to go with running water, some electricity, emergency services, etc.

I'd be hugely impressed if they were able to pull all that off by Sunday, espically since the fires may be contained but they are not put out and the SDPD and SDFD have to be about spent ( I doubt they would then turn around and ask tem to work a football game on Sunday.)

TEXANS84
10-25-2007, 12:20 PM

That's why I don't see the game being played on Sunday afternoon if it's not in San Diego. I think Sunday night/Monday night is the possibility if it's moved.

texanfan2002114
10-25-2007, 12:51 PM
It looks like the game will be played on sunday in San Diego.

"It appears increasingly likely the Chargers will play at home Sunday, as evacuees leave Qualcomm Stadium and the weather cooperates in diminishing the firestorm in the county.

Mayor Jerry Sanders will announce his decision as to whether to allow the Chargers to host the Houston Texans at Qualcomm Stadium based upon the needs of the people who remain sheltered there. "

http://www.signonsandiego.com/sports/chargers/20071025-9999-1s25chargers.html

Yankee_In_TX
10-25-2007, 12:57 PM

"It appears increasingly likely the Chargers will play at home Sunday, as evacuees leave Qualcomm Stadium and the weather cooperates in diminishing the firestorm in the county.

Mayor Jerry Sanders will announce his decision as to whether to allow the Chargers to host the Houston Texans at Qualcomm Stadium based upon the needs of the people who remain sheltered there. "

Money money money mooooooooooooooooooooooney! (cue music)

Let's face it, the NFL does NOT care about its fans. Hopefully it will be in SD Sunday, so that people with travel plans aren't screwed.

RTP2110
10-25-2007, 12:59 PM
seems a little to late to make a move now anyway

Texan_Bill
10-25-2007, 01:02 PM
Well someone needs to ******* or get off the pot, and make it official. As Yankee said, "hopefully it will be in SD Sunday, so that people with travel plans aren't screwed."

Just call it already!!!

*self edit, I thought the filter would have caught that*

Brando
10-25-2007, 01:04 PM

lol at this in the readers comments.......

Hey commish2...how 'bout you get that stick out of your a**.

The Pencil Neck
10-25-2007, 01:11 PM
Money money money mooooooooooooooooooooooney! (cue music)

Let's face it, the NFL does NOT care about its fans. Hopefully it will be in SD Sunday, so that people with travel plans aren't screwed.

I had travel plans and canceled them because it didn't make sense for me to go if there was no game. I had to make that decision Tuesday evening. So, I was screwed even though I had travel plans.

If they have the game in Texas Stadium, my friend in SD was going to overnight the tickets to me so I could use them here.

hollywood_texan
10-25-2007, 01:13 PM
I am still cocked and loaded on my travel plans.

Time of the game probably isn't issue as long as it played by Monday Night.

This is just amazing!

San Diego really has their act together...

Texan_Bill
10-25-2007, 01:16 PM
I had travel plans and canceled them because it didn't make sense for me to go if there was no game. I had to make that decision Tuesday evening. So, I was screwed even though I had travel plans.

That really sucks.. Sorry man!! Unfortunately you are a prime example of what I was talking about with the NFL, Spanos and SD's mayor getting their act together early enough to avoid situations like yours... Nothing ever good comes out of waiting to the last minute... :gun:

hollywood_texan
10-25-2007, 01:20 PM
That really sucks.. Sorry man!! Unfortunately you are a prime example of what I was talking about with the NFL, Spanos and SD's mayor getting their act together early enough to avoid situations like yours... Nothing ever good comes out of waiting to the last minute... :gun:

You keep ringing that bell, but maybe it's better for more people than it hurts? I am sure the stadium will still be full or close to it if they play in San Diego.

I understand Pencil Neck's issue, but moving the game prematurely probably would have screwed more people than helped people like Pencil Neck.

How do you think Houston fans would feel if a game was pulled prematurely and could have been played at Reliant as scheduled normally?

This is about accomdating San Diego fans, their stadium, and giving them the benefit of the doubt...

houstonhurricane
10-25-2007, 02:00 PM

Stop complaining and calm down. They are doing everything possible to hold the game in SD - where it should be played if at all possible. Let them make a reasonable decision today based on the latest facts. You make it sound as if this delay is going to somehow negatively impact the teams, which it doesn't. They know they are playing each other on Sunday (or Monday) - that is enough...

Yankee_In_TX
10-25-2007, 02:02 PM
Stop complaining and calm down. They are doing everything possible to hold the game in SD - where it should be played if at all possible. Let them make a reasonable decision today based on the latest facts. You make it sound as if this delay is going to somehow negatively impact the teams, which it doesn't. They know they are playing each other on Sunday (or Monday) - that is enough...

No, he's actually saying the delay has a negative impact on the FANS, specifically Texans fans who cancelled their travel plans already due to cancellation deadlines, etc.

hollywood_texan
10-25-2007, 02:07 PM
No, he's actually saying the delay has a negative impact on the FANS, specifically Texans fans who cancelled their travel plans already due to cancellation deadlines, etc.

Shouldn't San Diego be more concerned about their fans than Houston fans?

It's their home game...

What if a hurricane was coming through the Gulf to hit Houston, they move the game to Dallas, and then at the end, the game could have been played in Houston after all because hurricane hit somewhere else or fizzeled out?

I don't think they are waiting till the last minute, there are more plans going to be disrupted by moving game the game than waiting to see if it all works out in the end. People plan for this stuff months in advance.

San Diego owes nothing to traveling fans, much less Texan fans.

The Flex Schedule they do is a prime example of that...

Errant Hothy
10-25-2007, 02:09 PM
The winds may be dying down, but this is far from over.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/california_wildfires

SAN DIEGO - Crews found two burned bodies in a gutted house, authorities said Thursday, and flames drew perilously close to thousands of homes in Southern California's firestorm despite a break in the harsh winds and a massive aerial assault.

houstonhurricane
10-25-2007, 02:14 PM

Perhaps. But the delay is intended to try and help out 99.9% of the fans who would be in attendance - hometown Charger fans. It is what it is...and I am glad they are doing everything in their power to play the game in SD.

Yankee_In_TX
10-25-2007, 02:21 PM
uggghhh

Texan_Bill
10-25-2007, 02:22 PM
You keep ringing that bell, but maybe it's better for more people than it hurts? I am sure the stadium will still be full or close to it if they play in San Diego.

I understand Pencil Neck's issue, but moving the game prematurely probably would have screwed more people than helped people like Pencil Neck.

How do you think Houston fans would feel if a game was pulled prematurely and could have been played at Reliant as scheduled normally?

This is about accomdating San Diego fans, their stadium, and giving them the benefit of the doubt...

No doubt the best scenario (attendance and everything else) would be to play the game in SD.. but no matter how you slice it, 74 hours and counting to kick-off is not premature.. Logistically it's a nightmare. It's not just the two teams and their entire staffs, its television crews, officials, etc. etc...

So with that said, I stand by comments (about the NFL, SD's Mayor and Spanos) with respect to "**** or get off the pot".

powerfuldragon
10-25-2007, 02:25 PM
at least the wind is blowing the smoke out over the pacific?

houstonhurricane
10-25-2007, 02:25 PM
Both teams are still waiting for San Diego mayor Jerry Sanders to make a decision. He is scheduled to tour the area with President Bush today before making the announcement this afternoon.

“I'm hoping this thing clears up and we'll be ready to go,” Chargers president Dean Spanos told the San Diego Union-Tribune. “We're waiting for the mayor to ultimately to give us the word ... Obviously, he's under a lot of pressure, and we respect that and are patiently waiting.”

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/front/5241270.html

I think we can be patient as well...there will be plenty of time to get the gametime preparations made.

markn
10-25-2007, 02:27 PM
No doubt the best scenario (attendance and everything else) would be to play the game in SD.. but no matter how you slice it, 74 hours and counting to kick-off is not premature.. Logistically it's a nightmare. It's not just the two teams and their entire staffs, its television crews, officials, etc. etc...

So with that said, I stand by comments (about the NFL, SD's Mayor and Spanos) with respect to "**** or get off the pot".

Agree with this.

In addition, if the Mayor of SD declares that the game goes ahead in SD as scheduled, and then for some reason they are unable to play the game, The Chargers should forfeit it.

HOU-TEX
10-25-2007, 02:27 PM
I truly believe it'll be played in SD. Why else would these asshats in SD's office be taking so dadgum long?

Even if the fire gets extinguished, what about the people in the stadium? I'm sure some have lost their houses. Where are they to go?:pirate:

hollywood_texan
10-25-2007, 02:30 PM
I truly believe it'll be played in SD. Why else would these asshats in SD's office be taking so dadgum long?

Even if the fire gets extinguished, what about the people in the stadium? I'm sure some have lost their houses. Where are they to go?:pirate:

Most people have cleared out.

I called the hotel I am staying at to make sure my reservation is still valid for the game. The guy at the reservation desk said everyone cleared out yesterday. He acted like everything is getting back to normal. It's a bad situation, but the world isn't coming to end over there. At least that is how I interpreted his remarks to my questions.

Texan_Bill
10-25-2007, 02:31 PM

Since the city of Houston is so generous, we could house them in the Dome temporarily ........... :hides:

Brando
10-25-2007, 02:32 PM
Feds Join Arson Probe in California Blazes

Special teams from the FBI and ATF help officials investigate a remote area of bone-dry brush where an arsonist is believed to have started one of the wildfires responsible for charring Southern California.

link (http://news.aol.com/)

Where is Blazing Arrow?

j/k

Brando
10-25-2007, 02:33 PM
Since the city of Houston is so generous, we could house them in the Dome temporarily ........... :hides:

No Thanks, we've done our share.:cool:

Texan_Bill
10-25-2007, 02:34 PM
No Thanks, we've done our share.:cool:

Thanks for the kind response, I was waiting to be pummeled... :cowboy1:

Yankee_In_TX
10-25-2007, 02:35 PM

My boss said that earlier in the week - he was waiting for Bill White to send the busses.

texanfan2002114
10-25-2007, 03:33 PM
Kubes is under the understanding that the game will be played on Monday night.

"Media reports in San Diego say the city is hoping to host the game on Sunday, as scheduled. Texans coach Gary Kubiak said after practice today that it's their understanding the game would be played on Monday night, but they were waiting for official word from the NFL."

Yankee_In_TX
10-25-2007, 03:36 PM
Monday night diminishes our chances of the game being on TV :(

Errant Hothy
10-25-2007, 03:38 PM
Another question is air quality.

But yes Monday more then likely means SD.

Texan_Bill
10-25-2007, 03:39 PM
Kubes is under the understanding that the game will be played on Monday night.

"Media reports in San Diego say the city is hoping to host the game on Sunday, as scheduled. Texans coach Gary Kubiak said after practice today that it's their understanding the game would be played on Monday night, but they were waiting for official word from the NFL."

Jimminy Crickett!!!!... Someone sack up and make a decision already... Cheeseballs!!

Tailgate
10-25-2007, 03:43 PM
As soon as they announced a decision would not be made until today.... I knew it would most likely be kept in SD. Now its just a matter of when I am sure.

Specnatz
10-25-2007, 03:44 PM
Jimminy Crickett!!!!... Someone sack up and make a decision already... Cheeseballs!!

I agree, this is total BS that a decision has not been made yet. Not only does it hurt the players and coaches and the teams in order to prep things for travel but it is leaving the fans twisting in the damn wind.

How freakin stupid to leave fans just hanging like this.