PDA

View Full Version : Richard Smith's Defense

fikster
10-21-2007, 09:32 PM
Is anyone else tired of Richard Smith's no blitzing, Petey Faggins loving D? We have three top draft picks on the D line, reigning Rookie of the year at MLB and a top notch corner on the field, why can't we sack anyone? I do think we have talent on the field, not in the secondary, but the front seven are pretty good players. We don't do stunts, corner blitzes, zero blitzes or anything. Sure DRob got beat on a play today, but that was pretty good coverage and a great throw.

36 minutes is a long time on the field, but most of that could have been cut if we put some pressure on the other team. Start Bennett at CB from now on and keep Faggins off the field, in the off season get us a real D coordinator in here and let's play some freaking D!

mexican_texan
10-21-2007, 09:35 PM
Frank Bush will eventually take over.

Honoring Earl 34
10-21-2007, 09:40 PM
Frank Bush will eventually take over.

Like tomorrow .

Ckw
10-22-2007, 01:48 AM
Like tomorrow .

I wish somehow you were in the know and this was for real. Yeah our defense did well in the red (tds that is) but we need a change.

HuttoKarl
10-22-2007, 09:35 AM
Our defense looked much better early when we let the corners play man and sent some help. Rushing four is getting old.

YoungTexanFan
10-22-2007, 12:11 PM
Our defense looked much better early when we let the corners play man and sent some help. Rushing four is getting old.

We don't have the talent to play man consistently. That is a main problem. However, when we rush people, good things happen more than not.

SuperTexan
10-23-2007, 09:56 AM
We don't have the talent to play man consistently. That is a main problem. However, when we rush people, good things happen more than not.

Wow. How insightful. "When we rush people, good things happen more than not."

badboy
10-23-2007, 10:45 AM
i'm just amazed that after sending demeco on a blitz, getting the sack, the fumble, the recovery, and the touchdown that hardly anyone was sent in after that...

like...dude...it worked...do it again...and again...and againandagain...

Got to be careful not to wear it out.

The Pencil Neck
10-23-2007, 12:46 PM
um...is that sarcasm?

i just don't see the point in blitzing demeco once a game. once a quarter maybe at the most but...seems silly to me after seeing the blitz produce so much that you would abandon it

Maybe you just weren't watching.

We blitzed Demeco more than one time. I didn't keep count, but I'm pretty sure we blitzed him more than 1/qtr, too.

It worked once. But it didn't work every time we tried it.

real
10-23-2007, 12:52 PM
Our blitz packages are a joke.

A real live, fall down on the ground, laugh so hard my side hurts...joke...

We have two LB's that can interchange in Demeco and Clark, yet we never use that to our advantage...

How about blitzing Demeco from some place other than in the middle ? That'd be smart...

He's obviously our best blitzer, yet we have no schemes (as far as I can tell) to take advantage of that..

And whichever coach or coaches said that they are blitzing more than fans realize should be ashamed of himself...

If I am watching a football game and I can't tell when you are blitzing, that means your blitzes are trash...

Some creativity on Defense would be nice....

badboy
10-23-2007, 01:01 PM
um...is that sarcasm?

i just don't see the point in blitzing demeco once a game. once a quarter maybe at the most but...seems silly to me after seeing the blitz produce so much that you would abandon ityes it was. I think so much is wrong with our team that the coaches don't want do anything with what is working. Demeco is great so don't touch him is the theory. I also would like to see more risk taken. Shoot Petey on a blitz, he can't cover anyway.

TexansLucky13
10-23-2007, 01:08 PM
There were a couple times where he blitzed two linebackers to the weak side... it didn't work.

Double Barrel
10-23-2007, 02:52 PM
Wow. How insightful. "When we rush people, good things happen more than not."

And a great nothing added to the thread with your post. How about talking about the subject at hand instead of attacking a fellow forum member. I haven't seen you say anything "insightful".

The Pencil Neck
10-23-2007, 03:06 PM
i was there, i was definitely watching. i only saw him blitz twice. and i only saw demeco blitzing, which is probably incorrect...but then again, i'm not the type who can look at the whole field at every moment...

We had a lot more blitzes than that. Later tonight, I'll go back through the game and actually count.

What I find interesting is that the first 3 weeks we were playing OK and we weren't blitzing at all.

Then starting in the Atlanta game, we start blitzing all over the place and our defense starts taking a step back. That exactly the opposite of what happened last year.

Our blitzes are really crappy.

Texan_Bill
10-23-2007, 03:10 PM
If you are going to blitz from the weak side, you'd better have someone like Dr. Doom coming.

Vinny
10-23-2007, 03:13 PM
Richard Smith's Defense? There is a joke in the thread title but I'll probably do the Nancy Regan and just say "No".

It seems that the defense is based on the assumption that our D-line is a dominant one. Frankly, our D-line has 'potential', but potential means you haven't done it yet.

Rex King
10-23-2007, 10:50 PM
I think it's a combination of poor blitz schemes and poor blitzers. It's not good when your best cover corner is your second best blitzer. We need a stud OLB and/or FS in the worst way.

After watching the game again, most of the time Collins was taking short drops with quick routes, but the front four were still able to get pretty good pressure on him. DeMeco had the one big play, but otherwise, the blitz was picked up pretty easily. In stark contrast to our offense Sunday - missed assignments, missed blocks, missed adjustments by the coaching staff, and, yes, missed reads by the QB.

The Pencil Neck
10-24-2007, 12:17 AM
By my count, I saw 12 blitzes on pass plays. There were a few others where we were coming on running plays but I didn't really count those. 6 of our 12 blitzes were multiple players. That's 12 out of 45 pass plays. (NFL shows 42, but I was including plays with penalties.) That's 26.7% of the time.

We had 3 plays where we dropped a linemen into coverage but instead of being a zone blitz, it was actually treating the down lineman as a LB and dropping him into coverage. Every play we did that, something good happened: Maddux dropped into coverage on the second fumble, Collins threw the ball away on one play, and Maddux dropped into coverage and stopped a screen for short yardage. We lined up in a 3-4 one time.

I only noted 4 plays where the linemen were stunting, I thought they had been doing it more than that. ND Kalu is really good at getting pressure when we do that.

In the 3rd quarter, we only blitzed one time. In the 4th quarter, we blitzed every pass play (4) until that last 50 second drive. And then we only blitzed (Morlon) on that last long damned pass to Williams to set up the field goal.

We had a couple of times where Collins just got the ball out before a blitzer got to him. I counted 4 times where Demeco was blitzing and another couple of times where he was coming up but not actually blitzing, just reading/shadowing the RB. Danny Clark got close once and Charlie Adams almost got him, too.

By my count:

Morlon - 6
Demeco - 4
Danny - 3
Petey - 2
CC - 2
Von - 1
Charlie Anderson - 1

And of all of them, Charlie and Demeco looked the best blitzing.

After looking back through this... I really feel better about our defense. Our offense was really screwing them over. 3/4's of the way through the 3rd quarter, we only had 30 yards of offense and 1 or 2 first downs. It's unbelievable that we were able to still come back from those 6 turnovers. This is exactly what we used to complain about with our offense a couple of years ago.

Let's hope our offense can get back on track.

dtran04
10-24-2007, 12:28 AM
Thanks for the breakdown.