PDA

View Full Version : Fatassworth's comments on hitting Schaub

Hookem Horns
10-21-2007, 07:57 PM
"Well, heck, I mean we probably would have won this game 35-7 if he stayed in," Haynesworth said. "It was good to knock him out I guess, but he's going to come back and I don't think there'll be any kind of quarterback controversy because they pay that guy a lot of money."

Real class. Of course his "class" does match that of his boss.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3073225

drewmar74
10-21-2007, 07:58 PM
Doesn't he have some faces to step on? Maybe some puppies to kick?

kastofsna
10-21-2007, 08:00 PM
he was urinating on a girl scout as he said that.

Silver Oak
10-21-2007, 08:01 PM
the guy is obviously scum. fortunately he has a home where scum seems to have found a home.

houstonhurricane
10-21-2007, 08:02 PM
Good God, why would he make those idiotic comments? I hope the team remembers this come early December.

drewmar74
10-21-2007, 08:14 PM

ROTFLMFAO

You must spread some rep..... yada yada yada

austintexanite
10-21-2007, 08:16 PM
what a dou***b*g.

PapaL
10-21-2007, 08:17 PM
Makes TJ look like a stand up guy.

Silver Oak
10-21-2007, 08:26 PM
previous display of haynesworth scumminess.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lW4XUpN9bPQ

TheRealJoker
10-21-2007, 08:28 PM
Have the nat'l media been ripping this thug like they ripped TJ?

NitroGSXR
10-21-2007, 08:34 PM
It just looked like a hard tackle by Haynesworth to me. Nothing really all that malicious. I just don't think that Haynesworth is a very bright guy at all. He's a very good football player with a very low IQ which is basically a thug. I wouldn't want him on my team but I wouldn't be clamoring to unload him either (if we had him).

Texan Asylum
10-21-2007, 08:37 PM
One high point of the game was the hit Green put on his butt.

Wolf
10-21-2007, 08:46 PM
http://forums.titansonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30425

AnthonyE
10-21-2007, 09:31 PM
When he's bragging about his hit that injures a player, there's a serious problem with the guy.

I hate him so much. A guy like that shouldn't be in the league. He's a dirty player and I hope he's fined.

Did anyone else notice the taunt at the end of that play?

TheIronDuke
10-21-2007, 09:45 PM
He's a human piece of crap. He is worse than Michael Vick as a person, IMO. He intentionally mauled an opponent's face with his cleats and is basically an a-hole. I really want him to have a career-ending injury.

PapaL
10-21-2007, 10:03 PM
http://forums.titansonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30425

I surprised there are that many literate people with Internet access in Tennessee. Wow.

PapaL
10-21-2007, 10:04 PM
He's a human piece of crap. He is worse than Michael Vick as a person, IMO. He intentionally mauled an opponent's face with his cleats and is basically an a-hole. I really want him to have a career-ending injury.

I would also include his ability to reproduce. Guys like that shouldn't spawn any children for the betterment of the gene pool.

Errant Hothy
10-21-2007, 10:09 PM
So the real question is would you want him on our team or not?

Tourist
10-21-2007, 10:10 PM
Yep, Haynesworth is an ass. Next thing you know, he'll be standing over an injured QB's body, yelling at him.

Nza
10-21-2007, 10:22 PM
You people are delusional. He's not boasting, he's stating the obvious - when you can knock out the opposing team's starting QB, who is good at that, you put your team at a nice advantage. Injuries are part of the game, and when you hit someone hard and you cause one you shouldn't feel remorseful, you did good for your team. If VY was playing and he was taken out by Okoye with a devastating hit like AH's, you don't think the Texans D would be giving him some pats on the back? get real.

Leahmic223
10-21-2007, 10:36 PM
You people are delusional. He's not boasting, he's stating the obvious - when you can knock out the opposing team's starting QB, who is good at that, you put your team at a nice advantage. Injuries are part of the game, and when you hit someone hard and you cause one you shouldn't feel remorseful, you did good for your team. If VY was playing and he was taken out by Okoye with a devastating hit like AH's, you don't think the Texans D would be giving him some pats on the back? get real.

Yeah but he said had Schaub stayed in they would have blown us out. That is a insult to Schaub and really it comes out of no where. The guy has no class.

The1ApplePie
10-21-2007, 10:37 PM
A big burly guy that likes to hurt people? Sounds like a great DT to me. Yep, he's a dirty player, but there are tons of D-Linemen that are. What he did to Gurode last year was bull****, but his hit on Schaub didn't seem intentionally dirty to me.

Maybe its the old D-lineman in me, but if you have a shot at a QB while he still has the ball, you are going to go for it. I rather have something like that than the huggy bear tackle the Giants' DE put on VY last year, letting him run off scot free.

Nza
10-21-2007, 10:49 PM
I don't think he meant it as an insult Leahmic, I think he was quite accurate in suggesting Sage took them off guard. I don't think it would have been 35-7 like he said, maybe 32-22 or something, but I think his point that with Schaub in, the Titans wouldn't have stopped playing after 3 quarters like they did.

The Gurode thing was very, very, very dirty but that was an anomaly, he isn't a dirty player, he's just a very powerful man who used to let his temper get the better of him sometimes creating confrontations and the sorts. He is a different player this year and is finally channeling that into between whistle aggression and not after the whistle aggression and he's clearly a top 3 DT in the NFL right now because of it.

Go to NFL.com and watch and highlights and tell me you really think it's a dirty hit now the game time atmosphere has died down. It sucks to see your starting QB go down but the man was just playing hard and nasty, like any good DT does. It's only because of the ***** QB rules it was flagged - if he went low so his helmet was chest height he may not have prevented the pass which he did, and it's not like he drove the crown of his helmet into Schaub's or anything, it was facemask to facemask and not even direct either.

ArlingtonTexan
10-21-2007, 10:57 PM
Wow, a football player who is not a very nice guy...amazing.

Leahmic223
10-21-2007, 11:02 PM
I don't think he meant it as an insult Leahmic, I think he was quite accurate in suggesting Sage took them off guard. I don't think it would have been 35-7 like he said, maybe 32-22 or something, but I think his point that with Schaub in, the Titans wouldn't have stopped playing after 3 quarters like they did.

The Gurode thing was very, very, very dirty but that was an anomaly, he isn't a dirty player, he's just a very powerful man who used to let his temper get the better of him sometimes creating confrontations and the sorts. He is a different player this year and is finally channeling that into between whistle aggression and not after the whistle aggression and he's clearly a top 3 DT in the NFL right now because of it.

Go to NFL.com and watch and highlights and tell me you really think it's a dirty hit now the game time atmosphere has died down. It sucks to see your starting QB go down but the man was just playing hard and nasty, like any good DT does. It's only because of the ***** QB rules it was flagged - if he went low so his helmet was chest height he may not have prevented the pass which he did, and it's not like he drove the crown of his helmet into Schaub's or anything, it was facemask to facemask and not even direct either.

Well he can keep thinking that so when we come to Tenn, hopefully he still believes that. Schaub wouldn't have fumlbed the ball coming in, threw what 3 INTs and put our defense against the wall like he did. Schaub led comebacks also, and I feel we would have had a better chance at winning the game with him playing the second half than Sage. If the Titans stopped playing then they have a major problem because we had the lead with 57 seconds left.

Those INTs basically put you guys in field goal position all game long, while our defense was forced to play D with their backs against the wall all game long. I think Schaub given the second half would have won the game with how the WRs started to catch passes and the run game suddenly made a rare appearance. Schaub can make all the same throws that Sage did and Schaub would have never gave up like Sage.

Nza
10-21-2007, 11:36 PM
Well, that's all just opinion now, and that's all AH was doing - expressing his opinion. The Titans do have a major problem - finishing games they wrap up early score wise has always been an issue for Fisher. He doesn't often let the W slip away, but he quite often lets the score become close again. The exact same thing happened last year in Houston. The difference between the first 3 Q's and the final Q was the Titans packed up too early, particularly on D where they went lazy and ultra conservative.

It would have been a totally different game if Schaub stayed in for sure, just not sure in which sense. AH clearly felt it would have meant a better effort by the Titans, but he's not really paid to think about alternate outcomes. I'm guessing the way he saw it was the Titans got too complacement with a backup QB in, but then maybe he did mean Schaub is the worse QB and he's only guaranteed the starting role because of his paycheck, I dunno, it's just not the impression I got.

Napa Auto Parts
10-22-2007, 12:24 AM
Albert said nothing out of line only stated facts. hell i might be out of line but if TJ Couldtake care peyton like he did on trent green and kock him out he would be my favorite player there is no better advantage to a team than knocking their Starting QB out.:texflag:

awtysst
10-22-2007, 12:32 AM

Was R. Kelly there?

I just couldn't help myself!

NitroGSXR
10-22-2007, 12:33 AM
Exactly. I don't think that Haynesworth was doing anything wrong. He tackled Schaub hard. He did his job effectively. I just don't think he's a very bright guy and anything he does is magnified since 'the cleats in a downed player's face' incident. Justifiably under scrutiny but is not being given the benefit of doubt. Just look at the play. I didn't see anything wrong with it. And what he said in the interview is exactly right albeit he could have said it better but I attribute that to his lack of intelligence. He's a very very good football player who acts on his temper tantrums.

His job is to get to the quarterback and he did. The tackle was a fine play by Haynesworth.

Dread-Head
10-22-2007, 12:35 AM
Yep, Haynesworth is an ass. Next thing you know, he'll be standing over an injured QB's body, yelling at him.

Hmmmm. Let's see. You try to put a HELMET to my KNEE and possibly end my season/career and give yourself a concussion in the process. Not only would I TAUNT your unconscious ass, but during the press conference I would quote the old testiment "As as ye sow, so shall ye reap."
Now then about Haynesworth. The man's an ass. Are we surprised that a teammate of Pac Man Jones would be a jackass?

dtran04
10-22-2007, 12:37 AM
Yeah, he not an ass at all. I mean, he wouldn't rip off someone's helmet and stomp his cleats on a guy's face....oh wait.

Bulluck53
10-22-2007, 01:38 AM
Is douchbag the right word? Whatever, I'll use it.... Haynesworth is a douchbag, but I wouldn't trade him for any DT this year.

TexansLucky13
10-22-2007, 02:00 AM
Is douchbag the right word? Whatever, I'll use it.... Haynesworth is a douchbag, but I wouldn't trade him for any DT this year.

At least there is one Tack fan who isn't entirely delusional....

Dude is scum, that's just how it is.

Ckw
10-22-2007, 02:27 AM

That's twice you've had good things to say tonight. Rep.

Nza
10-22-2007, 03:42 AM
Yeah, he not an ass at all. I mean, he wouldn't rip off someone's helmet and stomp his cleats on a guy's face....oh wait.

http://img523.imageshack.us/img523/2253/fryseewhatyoudidtherescqb5.jpg

Nza
10-22-2007, 03:49 AM
He has always been immature, in fact when he first came into the league he was basically on his way to being the original Pacman without the media hype (probably because he never had dreadlocks) if it wasn't for Fisher who brought his attitude up to standards. But nothing he did or said this week is anything more than Texans fans blowing it out of proportion - I'll bet the vast majority of general fans would disagree he did anything dirty.

toronto
10-22-2007, 08:41 AM

UH, a little over the top in our anger, wouldn't you say?

Texan_Bill
10-22-2007, 09:28 AM

When he stands over someone, he tends to stomp them in the face..

Porky
10-22-2007, 10:35 AM
Haynesworth is a punk pure and simple. Not only was the hit late, but he pile drove him into the ground rather than letting up. He knew he didn't have the ball which is the only reason to put that kind of hit on a QB. It was obvious he was trying to injure him. That's called dirty play where I come from. Then after the game, he basically reaffirms my opinion that he was trying to hurt him, and was gleeful that he had done so.

Football is a physical game, and injuries will happen, but to purposely try and injure someone with a late hit is beyond the pale imo, and he should be fined heavily both for the hit, and then his comments later.

Nza
10-22-2007, 10:49 AM
Haynesworth is a punk pure and simple. Not only was the hit late, but he pile drove him into the ground rather than letting up. He knew he didn't have the ball which is the only reason to put that kind of hit on a QB. It was obvious he was trying to injure him. That's called dirty play where I come from. Then after the game, he basically reaffirms my opinion that he was trying to hurt him, and was gleeful that he had done so.

Football is a physical game, and injuries will happen, but to purposely try and injure someone with a late hit is beyond the pale imo, and he should be fined heavily both for the hit, and then his comments later.

Errr, yeah it sure looks late:

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/7158/ahhitox6.jpg

(sorry about the res, it's from the NFL.com video. But yeah, that's him not even fully releasing the ball yet).

Sorry dude, that's not late.

And he didn't "pile drive" him, he crushed him while bear hugging him. He didn't slam him, he simply fell on him. It's a pretty effective way of bringing a player down when you're playing tackle football. And to suggest he intentionally tried to injure him is just nonsense, players get tackled like that all the time, when you're a big guy you'll generally come down hard on players.

And fining for comments, are you serious? Way to take a bad loss out on one player.

Yankee_In_TX
10-22-2007, 10:56 AM
I haven't re-watched the game yet. But I've been hearing on the radio the fatal blow was after the whistle. Is this not true?

real
10-22-2007, 10:57 AM

You cheer for the hit....

Not the injury...

And YOU are delusional...

Haynesworth is the only athlete that I've ever heard come out and brag about injuring another player...You trying to justify it and make it sound rational only shows the level at which you operate...

You have to be on one of the lower forms of human life if you think that it's o.k. for a player to rejoice about injuring another player....

HOU-TEX
10-22-2007, 10:58 AM
I haven't re-watched the game yet. But I've been hearing on the radio the fatal blow was after the whistle. Is this not true?

No, it wasn't after the whistle. If he wouldn't have hit him in the head, it probably wouldn't have been called.

gjmac2
10-22-2007, 10:58 AM
What bothers me is not neccessarly the hit itself, but the fact that

NOT ONE OF THE TEXANS DEFENSIVE PLAYERS RETALIATED AND LAYED A LICK ON COLLINS!!!! NOT ONE!!!!

I don't care if we get a 15 yard penalty, someone should have planted Kerry Collins. You don't let anyone treat your Qb like that.

A lot of things bothered me about yesterday's game, and this was one of them. Don't let the comback fool you, the Texans got their butts handed to them yesterday.

Nza
10-22-2007, 10:59 AM
No, you see you've misundetstood - I don't agree rejoicing about an injured player is fine, I disagree he rejoiced at all. He simply pointed out Schaub leaving was good for the Titans (Deeerrrr).

He wasn't boasting he injured someone, he's not that dumb. But he's also not really super smart either and I think he probably didn't realize what he was saying could be taken that way.

The1ApplePie
10-22-2007, 11:02 AM
You cheer for the hit....

Not the injury...

And YOU are delusional...

Haynesworth is the only athlete that I've ever heard come out and brag about injuring another player...You trying to justify it and make it sound rational only shows the level at which you operate...

You have to be on one of the lower forms of human life if you think that it's o.k. for a player to rejoice about injuring another player....

You must not have spent much time around organized football then.

Butkus loved injuring people by the way.

HOU-TEX
10-22-2007, 11:03 AM
No, you see you've misundetstood - I don't agree rejoicing about an injured player is fine, I disagree he rejoiced at all. He simply pointed out Schaub leaving was good for the Titans (Deeerrrr).

He wasn't boasting he injured someone, he's not that dumb. But he's also not really super smart either and I think he probably didn't realize what he was saying could be taken that way.

How is saying this pointing out that it was best that Schaub left the game? :gun:

"Well, heck, I mean we probably would have won this game 35-7 if he stayed in," Haynesworth said.

2ToneBlue
10-22-2007, 11:05 AM
Wow strong reaction.

Come on people honestly this is football, the hit wasn't crazy. He was trying to get to the QB while he had to the ball (like they were doing all game up to that point) and landed on top of him.

The guy is ~6'6" 325 he doesn't stop fast. It takes more than a split second for someone that big to stop his momentum. You honestly expect him to grab twist and craddle Schaub to the ground carefully?

Helmet to helmet wasn't bad, but it did happen and drew the flags. I agree with flagging him for that. The hit though wasn't bad, he's just a monster that fell on top of a QB. Unfortunately it did injure Schaub, I'm not proud or glad that happened, but it is part of the game. Our starter was on the sidelines too.

Nza
10-22-2007, 11:08 AM
That's where it starts to get confusing - as I said, he isn't super smart, I think he probably didn't really think what he was saying through. Also keep in mind he said "I guess" after saying it was good to knock Schaub out. Somtimes context gets lost in translation from audio byte to internet text, "I guess" is like saying "on the other hand". "We probably would have won 35-7 with Schaub in, but on the other hand, him being out was probably a good thing". It doesn't make much sense but I'm certain it's what he meant.

You're all reading waaaayy too much into it. Take offence at his suggestion Schaub wouldn't have done much - fine - but to say that's boasting after an injury is a major major stretch.

Porky
10-22-2007, 11:09 AM
Errr, yeah it sure looks late:

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/7158/ahhitox6.jpg

(sorry about the res, it's from the NFL.com video. But yeah, that's him not even fully releasing the ball yet).

Sorry dude, that's not late.

And he didn't "pile drive" him, he crushed him while bear hugging him. He didn't slam him, he simply fell on him. It's a pretty effective way of bringing a player down when you're playing tackle football. And to suggest he intentionally tried to injure him is just nonsense, players get tackled like that all the time, when you're a big guy you'll generally come down hard on players.

And fining for comments, are you serious? Way to take a bad loss out on one player.

Dude your just having a homer take because Haynesorth is a flaming meatball. Take off your Bud glasses, get the tacks out of your rear, and face reality. I've been watching football for parts of 4 decades. I think I know a late, intentially forceful hit when I see one. If you can't tell the difference between a player letting up after the ball is thrown and one intentially trying to pile drive the QB into the ground I don't know what to tell you. Obviousely, the refs agreed with me, as he drew a 15 yard penalty. And, I'll make you a side bet. Haynesworth will be fined for the hit and comments about the play.

gjmac2
10-22-2007, 11:12 AM
Wow strong reaction.

Come on people honestly this is football, the hit wasn't crazy. He was trying to get to the QB while he had to the ball (like they were doing all game up to that point) and landed on top of him.

The guy is ~6'6" 325 he doesn't stop fast. It takes more than a split second for someone that big to stop his momentum. You honestly expect him to grab twist and craddle Schaub to the ground carefully?

Helmet to helmet wasn't bad, but it did happen and drew the flags. I agree with flagging him for that. The hit though wasn't bad, he's just a monster that fell on top of a QB. Unfortunately it did injure Schaub, I'm not proud or glad that happened, but it is part of the game. Our starter was on the sidelines too.

I'm not saying the hit was dirty, or that it was beyond the context of the game of football.

All I'm saying, and this is being critical of my own team, is that much like pitchers protecting their teammates, someone on the Texans D should have protected Matt Schaub.

I'm sure you would feel the same way if someone did that to VY.

Vinny
10-22-2007, 11:12 AM
The homers don't want to hear this but at the game...live, it looked like a crap call. I don't know how a 350 pound man is supposed to stop in one step. Schaub was destroyed due to a bad line and bad schemes or a combination of both. I don't know Men that size are supposed to pull up running full speed in a nanosecond.

Vinny
10-22-2007, 11:14 AM

NOT ONE OF THE TEXANS DEFENSIVE PLAYERS RETALIATED AND LAYED A LICK ON COLLINS!!!! NOT ONE!!!!

If you have no pass rushing skills...you don't get a chance to hit the QB much. Mario is a JAG player...he is "just a guy" and we get no pressure unless we blitz. This defense will be awful until they fix the pass rush.

Nza
10-22-2007, 11:14 AM
Dude your just having a homer take because Haynesorth is a flaming meatball. Take off your Bud glasses, get the tacks out of your rear, and face reality. I've been watching football for parts of 4 decades. I think I know a late, intentially forceful hit when I see one. If you can't tell the difference between a player letting up after the ball is thrown and one intentially trying to pile drive the QB into the ground I don't know what to tell you. Obviousely, the refs agreed with me, as he drew a 15 yard penalty. And, I'll make you a side bet. Haynesworth will be fined for the hit and comments about the play.

lol right, I'm the homer. Takes two to tango buddy.

Plus the 15 yarder was for helmet to helmet (face mask to face mask). Gets your facts straight.

Fine or not, doesn't matter. The NFL has gotten to the point now where an "illegal" hit on a QB isn't necessarily dirty, as in this case. He was fined for slamming MJD to the ground in week 1 when he was running forward still, AH has a rep now and will be hit a lot more because of it.

BTW a fan as seasoned as yourself should know 99% of defensive linemen in this league will hit a QB hard when he can, regardless of if he thinks the ball will maybe or maybe not get cleanly out, wake the hell up. And the fact the hit did indeed impact his throw is kinda pointing towards the "maybe not" if you ask me, he had perfect reason to lay a hard hit and he did.

2ToneBlue
10-22-2007, 11:17 AM
Dude your just having a homer take because Haynesorth is a flaming meatball. Take off your Bud glasses, get the tacks out of your rear, and face reality. I've been watching football for parts of 4 decades. I think I know a late, intentially forceful hit when I see one. If you can't tell the difference between a player letting up after the ball is thrown and one intentially trying to pile drive the QB into the ground I don't know what to tell you. Obviousely, the refs agreed with me, as he drew a 15 yard penalty. And, I'll make you a side bet. Haynesworth will be fined for the hit and comments about the play.I'm sure he'll be fined, but if you noticed the penalty it wasn't for the hit, driving him into the ground, or the severity of hitting him. It was because their heads hit eachother.

(1:00) (Shotgun) 8-M.Schaub pass incomplete short left to 11-A.Davis [92-A.Haynesworth]. HOU-8-M.Schaub was injured during the play. PENALTY on TEN-92-A.Haynesworth, Roughing the Passer, 15 yards, enforced at HOU 21 - No Play. (HOU #8 Schaub injured by helmet to helmet contact with TEN #92. Haynesworth)

Pass didn't come out too well, he knew he was going to take a shot and tried to get rid of it.

gjmac2
10-22-2007, 11:18 AM
If you have no pass rushing skills...you don't get a chance to hit the QB much. Mario is a JAG player...he is "just a guy" and we get no pressure unless we blitz. This defense will be awful until they fix the pass rush.

I think Mario is out of position. I think he will be much better full time on the strongside.

Beside the point. Can't let anyone hit your QB like that. JMO.

Nza
10-22-2007, 11:19 AM
I'm not saying the hit was dirty, or that it was beyond the context of the game of football.

All I'm saying, and this is being critical of my own team, is that much like pitchers protecting their teammates, someone on the Texans D should have protected Matt Schaub.

I'm sure you would feel the same way if someone did that to VY.

Sure, I can understand that. In all seriousness though, maybe they wanted to keep KFC in, because VY was the only QB left if he went out. KFC doesn't orchestrate a game winning drive with a minute to go very often.

Leahmic223
10-22-2007, 11:24 AM
I think Mario is out of position. I think he will be much better full time on the strongside.

Beside the point. Can't let anyone hit your QB like that. JMO.

Mario will always get slammed as long as he doesn't get 3 sacks a game. He isn't doing horrible, its just that he isn't doing great either so he is playing in mediocre land. Not many of the rooks from his draft class or doing better though, as I said it takes time with a Dlineman to develop people are just going to have to be patient.

swtbound07
10-22-2007, 11:30 AM
i thought the 2nd haynesworth hit was clean. Thats a football play. I was more irate at the first play, where schaub got hit by two people who stayed on top of him ripping at his arms for like 10 seconds...that was cheap

MJTitans
10-22-2007, 11:37 AM
I watched the hit a few times to see, and it looked like AH had his head completely off to the side of Schaub's... so if there was helmet-to-helmet contact it was incidental and very minor. BUT I agree with the call - refs have to call the way they see it, and in the case of helmet-to-helmet contact, I'd rather see them err on the side of caution. Call it when it's incidental. Call it when it looks too close for their comfort. In the Sun night game a Den player clearly went helmet-to-helmet on a Pit returner on the kickoff and it wasn't called. They have to be more consistent about that. Anyway, AHs hit appeared to be a good, clean hit... and sometimes good, clean hits should still be flagged.

As for Haynesworth, he's not nearly the monster that a lot of people portray him as - but he is a bad combination of aggressive and occasionally very stupid. He's like every good defensive player - he likes the big hit. I was disappointed in his comments, even though I don't think he meant it quite the way it came out. Talk trash before and during the game - after the game it's time to bring the class out, and especially when talking about a player who was injured.

infantrycak
10-22-2007, 11:42 AM
I watched the hit a few times to see, and it looked like AH had his head completely off to the side of Schaub's... so if there was helmet-to-helmet contact it was incidental and very minor. BUT I agree with the call - refs have to call the way they see it, and in the case of helmet-to-helmet contact, I'd rather see them err on the side of caution. Call it when it's incidental.

The hit could have been flagged as either helmet to helmet or driving the QB into the ground. As a helmet to helmet call it was ticky tacky. That said, it was text book driving the QB into the ground. No D players can't stop themselves on a dime but Pereira demonstrated a play just like this last year as one which was going to get flagged. You can compare that play to when Kalu hit Collins as he released the ball and did not get flagged but he didn't drive Collins into the ground.

Nza
10-22-2007, 11:47 AM
The driving in the ground rule I thought demanded the defender takes a QB off his feet and then brings him to the ground (Warran Sapp on Bledsoe comes to mind). I wasn't aware it applies to pressing a QB down like a pancake.

In any case, like I said, the NFL has rules now that make non-dirty hits illegal hits on QB's. Anyone else, it's fine.

ChildressTitanMan
10-22-2007, 11:59 AM
The homers don't want to hear this but at the game...live, it looked like a crap call. I don't know how a 350 pound man is supposed to stop in one step. Schaub was destroyed due to a bad line and bad schemes or a combination of both. I don't know Men that size are supposed to pull up running full speed in a nanosecond.

That's exactly how I saw it.

Haynseworth has a lot of baggage regarding his character but it looked like a good solid tackle.

Go lower or try to pull up & throw his hands up,there's a good chance Schaub completes the pass.

I hope Schaub is OK,no doubt there'll be a press release tomorrow.

Spled
10-22-2007, 12:18 PM
I thought it was a clean sack and I'd love to see the same nasty streak in Mario.

Porky
10-22-2007, 12:20 PM

Glad you made it to the game Vinny. Hope you had fun!

I have to disagree with you in this case. I think you know I'm not one to have a ton of pure homer takes. I'm not saying he could have avoided hitting him. But, he followed through with a ferocious hit and did a pile driver on him right into the ground. It's very clear on replay. If you haven't seen it do so. Even more upsetting to me was his comments afterward. His comments to me confirm my initial impression - that he was trying to put him out of the game.

real
10-22-2007, 12:24 PM
The hit wasn't as bad as the comments.

But the hit itself should have been a penalty.

No you can't stop on a dime, but you can ease the weight of your fall...

Players do it all the time...

Hookem Horns
10-22-2007, 12:45 PM
The whole reason I started this thread was due to his comments after the game, not the hit itself. I personally don't have an issue with the hit.

Double Barrel
10-22-2007, 01:37 PM
With regards to the hit, I wish we had d-linemen with mean streaks like that. We seem to get players that are niiiiiiiiiiiiice and smile pretty.

The comments were trashy, but it's not the first and it won't be the last time that a player says something stupid after a game.
*cough*TJ*cough*

the wonger need food
10-22-2007, 01:40 PM
The sad part is that his comments are completely accurate.

Brando
10-22-2007, 01:44 PM

No,he is the whole thing.

NitroGSXR
10-22-2007, 01:44 PM

I don't care if we get a 15 yard penalty, someone should have planted Kerry Collins. You don't let anyone treat your Qb like that.

A lot of things bothered me about yesterday's game, and this was one of them. Don't let the comback fool you, the Texans got their butts handed to them yesterday.
Ahman Green knocked him HARD in his chest and downed him. Haynesworth was injured and the referees called an injury timeout. That's retalitation enough for me.

dickieb
10-22-2007, 02:45 PM
I just wished our D could applied that same hit to Collins on 3rd and 10 and the end of the game - without the helmet to helmet 15yd penalty of course.

BigBull17
10-22-2007, 05:29 PM
A big burly guy that likes to hurt people? Sounds like a great DT to me. Yep, he's a dirty player, but there are tons of D-Linemen that are. What he did to Gurode last year was bull****, but his hit on Schaub didn't seem intentionally dirty to me.

Maybe its the old D-lineman in me, but if you have a shot at a QB while he still has the ball, you are going to go for it. I rather have something like that than the huggy bear tackle the Giants' DE put on VY last year, letting him run off scot free.

It wasnt the hit, it was the way he drove him into the ground. They call that. Its all in the intrest of protecting the QB. But, it goes back to what I said about Green, Qb's need to be football players too. But they call guys for hits like that all the time, so live with it. And I agree kinda with your second comment. We need a revolving door of starter DT's all year. Playing the Colts? Bobson youre in. The Saints? Send in Smithson. Just put guys out there to take a 15 yrd penalty and let em know you play football. Im not saying dive for knees, but ring em on the chin as he goes OOB.

Dread-Head
10-22-2007, 11:43 PM

Hey...I'm still pissed that the Colt's kicker who took out one of our return guys (by flinging to the ground after he'd already taken him out of bounds) wasn't spitting up his own blood at the end of the game....but that's just me. If you're a kicker and you want to give out shots...be prepared to take 10 times what you gave missy. The man is right. Your'e supposed to respond to a hard hit...with a MUCH harder one.

SuperTexan
10-23-2007, 10:54 AM
The Texans players should have retaliated - against Salaam who didn't lay a finger on Haynesworth and let him smack Schaub. He's the guy that they should have beat down in the huddle.