PDA

View Full Version : Ouch. That's gotta hurt!--Testaverde to Start

drewmar74
10-17-2007, 01:48 PM
Go figure. A potential QB controversy between David Carr and Vinny Testaverde. Whatcha think Steve Smith is thinking about now?

"David Carr is not a lock to start at quarterback when the Carolina Panthers play host to the defending Super Bowl champion Indianapolis Colts following the bye week. Coach John Fox is contemplating sticking with 43-year-old Vinny Testaverde at quarterback after he led the Panthers to a 25-10 win over the Arizona Cardinals this past Sunday despite practicing with the team only three times last week. When asked on Tuesday whether a healthy Carr would start against the Colts, Fox replied: "I think right now we're going to evaluate it as we go. We have options. "We didn't have these same options a week ago or really the last couple of weeks. I'm not going to commit to it now. A lot of it is based on what we see in practice or whoever gives us the best chance to win." The Panthers paid Carr $3 million a season to be Jake Delhomme's backup and to have around in case things went wrong. That's why it's amazing to think Testaverde, a guy who wasn't even on a team up until last Wednesday, might be the quarterback to lead this team for the rest of the year. "

http://www.gastongazette.com/sports/fox_11591___article.html/week_quarterback.html

Texan_Bill
10-17-2007, 02:01 PM
Hulk must be beside himself!! :gun:

Double Barrel
10-17-2007, 02:09 PM
wow...there's not much that can be said beyond....just....wow

Carr Bombed
10-17-2007, 02:26 PM
So a old guy who was sitting on his couch last week munching on potato chips and eating a hoggie, without having any training camp, just walked back into the NFL and without anytime to learn the offense, or get on key with his receivers, just stole Davey's job.................just like that.

LMFAO!!!

That about says it all right there.

HOU-TEX
10-17-2007, 02:48 PM
Hulk must be beside himself!! :gun:

As well as caddy. :backsout:

Texan_Bill
10-17-2007, 02:55 PM
Over on Pantherfanz.com

Vinny or Carr (Poll)
Vinny or Carr?

Vinny [ 23 ] [60.53%]
Carr [ 12 ] [31.58%]
Either One [ 3 ] [7.89%]

Almost 2 to 1 want 'old man river' to start

PapaL
10-17-2007, 03:05 PM
Wow...just wow.

Double Barrel
10-17-2007, 03:29 PM
It won't matter who starts because the Colts are going to slap down the Panthers when they play.

TEXANS84
10-17-2007, 08:08 PM
"I probably could have gone out there and tried to play, but I'd have just hurt the team," Carr said. "I didn't come here to lose games. I came here to win and be a part of something special. I've got a feeling we can do something like that around here, so I don't want to hurt our chances."
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/football/nfl/10/17/bc.fbn.panthers.carr.ap/index.html

Seriously, does anybody see anything wrong with this statement or is it just me?

Vinny
10-17-2007, 09:16 PM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/football/nfl/10/17/bc.fbn.panthers.carr.ap/index.html

Seriously, does anybody see anything wrong with this statement or is it just me?I put it through the official sports cliche translator and all I got was "I suck so bad, I even see it".

I find it ironic that a guy named Vinny is keeping the Carr in his place.

alphajoker
10-17-2007, 09:27 PM
"I probably could have gone out there and tried to play, but I'd have just hurt the team," Carr said. "I didn't come here to lose games. I came here to win and be a part of something special. I've got a feeling we can do something like that around here, so I don't want to hurt our chances."

Was this quote before he hurt his back or after? ;)

Vinny
10-17-2007, 09:42 PM
Carr doesn't treat being a QB in the NFL like it is a serious buisness...he's still playing High School ball in his mind. How's this for a totally dumbass quote (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/football/nfl/10/17/bc.fbn.panthers.carr.ap/index.html)...

Coach John Fox helped fuel the Testaverde talk this week when he refused to name Carr the starter if his sore back is recovered in time for the Oct. 28 game against Indianapolis.

Carr insisted that didn't bother him.

"Not at all. Now the Colts don't know. Let's play the game within the game, you know?" Carr said. "Who knows who's going to play? I don't even know if Steve (Smith) is going to play in the Indy game. He told me today he didn't know if he really wanted to play. We'll see what happens."

drewmar74
10-17-2007, 09:45 PM
"I don't even know if Steve (Smith) is going to play in the Indy game. He told me today he didn't know if he really wanted to play. We'll see what happens."

Uh, do you think that Steve's desire to play could be directly related to who's under center?

Carr Bombed
10-17-2007, 09:53 PM
Carr doesn't treat being a QB in the NFL like it is a serious buisness...he's still playing High School ball in his mind. How's this for a totally dumbass quote (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/football/nfl/10/17/bc.fbn.panthers.carr.ap/index.html)...

Hey Vinny, remember you asked me to tell you when I came up with a new name?

Just add a "ed" on to the end of the one I have now........it fits, and it's been working over on the Jags board pretty well. :cool:

kastofsna
10-17-2007, 10:01 PM
that quote is actually from his first PC after the Texans signed him.

GP
10-17-2007, 11:32 PM
You should all STOP laughing, and here's why:

What if, and this is a pretty big "if" but it's still a possibility, what if the Panthers keep winning with Vinny and they get to the Super Bowl and they win?

Who gets a Super Bowl ring on the Panthers who rode a gravy train the whole way there?

THAT would be the ultimate judgment against Houston pro football by the football gods.

I'm serious here. Stop yourself for a second and sober up a little.

Vinny winning is OK for now, but it needs to stop and we need David back in the saddle again to make sure that he doesn't have a chance to sport the bling in those male modeling photos he'll do.

Here's an even better one to ponder: Steve Tasker and David Carr calling Texans games on TV.

(sound of crickets chirping in the background)

Sorry to rain on your parade.

kastofsna
10-18-2007, 07:03 AM
Testeverde leading the Panthers to a Super Bowl is a possibility, in the same sense that Miami going to the Super Bowl with Cleo Lemon is a possibility.

StarStruck
10-18-2007, 10:05 AM
You should all STOP laughing, and here's why:

What if, and this is a pretty big "if" but it's still a possibility, what if the Panthers keep winning with Vinny and they get to the Super Bowl and they win?

Who gets a Super Bowl ring on the Panthers who rode a gravy train the whole way there?

THAT would be the ultimate judgment against Houston pro football by the football gods.

I'm serious here. Stop yourself for a second and sober up a little.

Vinny winning is OK for now, but it needs to stop and we need David back in the saddle again to make sure that he doesn't have a chance to sport the bling in those male modeling photos he'll do.

Here's an even better one to ponder: Steve Tasker and David Carr calling Texans games on TV.

(sound of crickets chirping in the background)

Sorry to rain on your parade.

No rain here. The owner of the Cowboys Store franchise at Katy Mills wear a Cowboys Superbowl Ring. It comes with the territory if you are on the team or management. I see David sporting a Superbowl ring in the same manner.

Double Barrel
10-18-2007, 10:20 AM

Framed around his last self-sacking play where he was in a pocket so big you could have parked a semi-truck back there but instead he runs the wrong way and gets sacked...then the 3rd string QB steps in the very next play and throws a 40+ pass....only to be overshadowed by a gramps QB who was sitting on his couch watching football the week before....says all anyone needs to know about Carr the QB.

But he does have bangin' hair, especially if it's windy outside.

GP
10-20-2007, 09:49 PM
This just in: David Carr still sucking the life out of the NFL team he belongs to.

Boy oh boy, what a turn of events: Carr gets cut, Carr signs with Panthers, Delhomme gets hurt, Carr comes in and then gets hurt, Vinny gets signed and leads the Panthers to a convincing victory with about 3 practices under his belt.

Getting schooled by Vinny is...well, it's something else.

(Sigh)

This is not the script that David and his family were envisioning when they thought he was on to bigger and better things.

"I am enjoying my new team..."

"Football is fun again...."

"I wear white gloves and use hand sanitizer after each snap..."

"Is my hair OK? It's a little windy out here today...can we get one of those retractable roof things like I had in Houston? This wind is damaging my roots, it's just yanking it from my scalp. Rip, rip, rip...all game long..."

Spled
10-21-2007, 05:52 PM
Last year everything was blamed on Carr. We're 1-4 over our last 5 games without Carr. Last year on this board, when you said there was a lot of problems on this team beyond Carr, you got accused of being in love with Carr. You guys keep bashing him like he's still our quarterback. How about focusing on the fact that our offense has been struggling quite a bit without him?

infantrycak
10-22-2007, 08:45 AM
How about focusing on the fact that our offense has been struggling quite a bit without him?

How about focusing on the fact that struggling on offense now means 265 yards passing per game and coming up short after scoring 36 points rather than averaging 173 yards including a lot of trash time yardage?

Vinny
10-22-2007, 08:48 AM
How about focusing on the fact that struggling on offense now means 265 yards passing per game and coming up short after scoring 36 points rather than averaging 173 yards including a lot of trash time yardage?

Schaub was one of the highest rated QB's in the NFL coming into the game yesterday...3rd most yardage in the NFL. 70% completions and 3rd highest YPA...that means he is getting the ball up the field. It's amazing that some people have no clue what they are looking at. The team is failing at the O line level and have career back ups as go to guys with AJ gone. Frankly its amazing Schaub has done as well as he has under these conditions.

Hervoyel
10-22-2007, 12:04 PM
The quarterback can make the line better....just not better at run blocking. He can take a line that's mediocre at best in pass protection and make them look adequate and that's exactly what Matt Schaub does and David Carr cannot do.

Making a line that can't run block look better is an entirely different animal. An elite running back can do this (make something out of nothing) but a passing game, no matter how good it is, simply cannot make a running game appear without at least a minimal input from the offensive line. You might point to the Run and Shoot offense and say that the running game there was not predicated on line play but rather surprise (and at the college and USFL levels running backs had big days in that offense) but note that thousand yard seasons and hundred yard games were few and far between for backs on Run and Shoot teams at the NFL level.

Matt Schaub is not "slowly getting killed". because of bad pass protection. If he's getting killed at all it's because of a lack of a running game which this offense is predicated on having. David Carr on the other hand was slowly getting killed when we had a running game and a similar level of pass protection to what we're providing to Matt Schaub today.

Spled
10-22-2007, 05:21 PM
The O-line has always stunk. Dom Davis did well until he was injured because he was briefly a great back and he benefited from Carr's passing. Carr went on to suffer from battered quarterback syndrome and Schaub is showing early signs of the same condition.

PapaL
10-22-2007, 05:29 PM
The O-line has always stunk. Dom Davis did well until he was injured because he was briefly a great back and he benefited from Carr's passing. Carr went on to suffer from battered quarterback syndrome and Schaub is showing early signs of the same condition.

Seems like someone has an agenda here.:thud:

Double Barrel
10-22-2007, 05:58 PM
How about focusing on the fact that our offense has been struggling quite a bit without him?

No #1 WR, injured running back, and a loss of McKinney. Yeah, Carr would have flourished under the same conditions....not.