PDA

View Full Version : An example of the red zone woe

76Texan
10-16-2007, 11:36 PM
Now, Im no football expert. I would like just to bring up a certain play like this one;
and Ill ask our fans, especially those with the game film to review to see if you like it.
(I only have PC game film that is not exceptionally clear, so I may have missed something.
But let me try anyway.)

Our first drive. Were moving the ball downfield nicely.
1-3-JAC 3 (12:02) 30-A.Green up the middle to JAC 4 for -1 yards (95-P.Spicer).

S

X X X2

CB X X X X 95 X1
C
WR LT LG RG RT TE1 TE2
QB

FB

RB

Texans line up in a variation of the Power I.
Ball on the left hash mark.
Double TE on the right side, close to the right hash mark.
Single WR on the left between the number and the left field line.
QB behind C on the left hash mark.
FB Leach directly behind, between the 7 & 8 yd line, a little more than 4 yd behind LOS.
RB Green directly behind on the 11 yd line, more than 8 yd behind LOS.

CB lines up directly across WR
DE (95) and X1 line up across TEs, with #95 slightly inside TE1, & X1 slightly outside TE2.
The other 4 defensive players across LOS are actually much more spread out.
From left, one outside Salaam. Next across from Salaam. Third between Pitts & Flanagan (closer to C). Fourth (next to #95) just outside Weary.
Winston is between him & #95... something like that.

Ball snapped. WR engages CB straight up.
Both TEs engage blocker directly in front (#95 & X1) (supposedly.)
All O-linemen try to push forward.
Leach runs straight up, fake an exchange with QB MS (kinda), then veer just a bit left of the hash mark to block.

What do you think would happen?
Where should Green go?
Why a one yard loss on the play?

The key here is TE1 & Defensive player X2
TE1 completely missed #95 Paul Spicer.
X2 bites to the inside.
Green's best chance is to the outside on the right (I believe that was an option),
but with #95 looming, he decides to go back to the original (?) point of attack (between Weary & Winston, supposedly).
#95 caught him in the backfield anyway, since there's no forward thrust in the line.

Well, that is best I can describe going back and forth with unclear video

Let see what you fans think.
I have a few other observations on the play, but it can wait.

gtexan02
10-17-2007, 11:52 AM
Very interesting stuff. A playaction bootleg to Ahman and then Schaub either running it in himself or passing to TE1 would have worked well it seem

HOU-TEX
10-17-2007, 12:25 PM
The play they ran would've worked if everyone did their job. People keep bashing the play calling, but the fact is it doesn't matter what the play call is, it still has to be executed correctly.

I don't mean to bust out in Capers talk, but it all comes down to players doing their jobs...execution.:shades:

TexansLucky13
10-17-2007, 12:31 PM
Very interesting stuff. A playaction bootleg to Ahman and then Schaub either running it in himself or passing to TE1 would have worked well it seem

The bootleg has worked almost every time we tried it. I just don't understand why Kubes wouldn't run it in the RZ. Matt has proven that he is mobile enough to handle it, and he is very accurate when throwing on the run. Twice in that game I saw them try the bootleg and get 15+ yards to Kevin Walter and OD (i think).

Getting the play away from the defensive line should have been priority #1 all day.

76Texan
10-17-2007, 12:40 PM
The play they ran would've worked if everyone did their job. People keep bashing the play calling, but the fact is it doesn't matter what the play call is, it still has to be executed correctly.

I don't mean to bust out in Capers talk, but it all comes down to players doing their jobs...execution.:shades:Very nice!

MS did a great job executing this play.
He turned left, kinda fake the ball to Leach,
continues his 270 degree motion and hand the ball to Green instead.

X2 bites when he saw MS turn left, so he hesitates a bit and shade inside.
Green started to the outside (right side)
TE2 engages X1 very well.
If TE1 would have just initiated some contact with Spicer #95, Green would have made it to the pylon before X2 recovers.

As it was, TE1 missed #95 completely.
Still, I think Green had a decent chance of making it to the outside (unless he's still not there speedwise yet)

76Texan
10-17-2007, 12:44 PM
The bootleg has worked almost every time we tried it. I just don't understand why Kubes wouldn't run it in the RZ. Matt has proven that he is mobile enough to handle it, and he is very accurate when throwing on the run. Twice in that game I saw them try the bootleg and get 15+ yards to Kevin Walter and OD (i think).

Getting the play away from the defensive line should have been priority #1 all day.I agree with you both on the bootleg. I believe that would work too. With Ahman comes up to block Spicer, TE1 could release to the right side along with MS.

alphajoker
10-17-2007, 12:46 PM
If I'm not mistaken, I think that's the same formation they used when they scored their only TD. Rosenfels playaction to Gado, Leach runs to the right on an out pattern, TE rolls out right too, pass to Leach for the wide open TD. Where was that the first couple times in the red zone?

76Texan
10-17-2007, 01:00 PM
If I'm not mistaken, I think that's the same formation they used when they scored their only TD. Rosenfels playaction to Gado, Leach runs to the right on an out pattern, TE rolls out right too, pass to Leach for the wide open TD. Where was that the first couple times in the red zone?I did look at this scenario. It might work, depending on how quickly Leach can get to the outside before X2 recover.

The actual play from Sage to Leach was quite similar, but it's almost like there was no X2 there (or too far inside.)
And so, it looks real easy, doesn't it?